Topic Stats

• 340 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 125 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F923AF35-0B3D-4AF3-8D85-A5D83B67BBF1 (resized).jpeg
7E6F0B21-B63F-4C09-8D67-3B0B6B74CB48 (resized).jpeg
C7075DC8-9518-40DC-8F3E-4EA0B17B3250 (resized).jpeg
D7240333-3F7E-4BFE-93E8-3B412C146C23 (resized).jpeg
6860D024-48C5-4566-B7A9-BF78E3AD272C (resized).jpeg
99F9D6F3-B367-48A9-B518-97B9EE4AB985 (resized).png
BD0FECEA-C569-4401-B812-C4DA21AFA833 (resized).png
45A77C01-49E9-4894-AAD4-04031D125C0B (resized).png
6E93A2E9-702D-4189-8574-2AABCAF4E737 (resized).png
706558EF-6A35-4A96-AF2A-BCB938D1506B (resized).png
7F4C745B-46EE-4291-A23E-16872E78FA04 (resized).png
D46856C2-8416-437F-84EF-5250F1463F2E (resized).jpeg
6A6E20EB-03CA-4368-A3E6-B87938357653 (resized).jpeg
9E295AAA-A0B4-419E-A08B-41BBB8859489 (resized).jpeg
23C4F1E3-F499-4D8A-9486-8D4E81CC7709 (resized).jpeg
8124E79F-A393-4B11-BF5C-A524B7836F9C (resized).jpeg

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 7 years ago

Updated this thread with dsuperbee's snake mod link.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finished-my-gnr-mod

1 month later
#52 6 years ago

My custom grips arrived! Did a test fit last night. So happy.

grips_new.jpg

#53 6 years ago

I Want GNR again ...

#54 6 years ago

Your attention span is so short.

GNR will never leave my house.

Chris

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Looks great!

#56 6 years ago

Gnr and Metallica are gonna look so sick together in my house

#57 6 years ago

That looks great.

1 month later
#58 6 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Think MOP will go next to my Ramones pin

poi

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Nope, I win.

Holy crap do you ever win. Put that on eBay and watch the fireworks!

Kim

4 months later
#60 6 years ago

These days, gun grips are available in different materials such as hardwood, ivory, rubber or plastic. However, I believe that modern designed special textured rubber grips are the most preferable choice among the users. Since, such grips provide proper ventilation in extreme heat and moist environments, which is very effective while shooting. While choosing a gun grip, you must consider the proper size, comfort and quality of material used to make them. Recently when I was searching on the internet, I found some good information about varieties of gun grips at https://www.zfi-inc.com/en/blog blog section. I hope it could be of some help to you as well.

1 week later
#61 6 years ago

So I needed to replace the Axl plastic on my GnR. Since I didn't want to drill a hole in my brand new plastic to mount the bulb socket (for Mystery when lit) I wanted to find a different solution. I decided to move the bulb socket to underneath the playfield and light the scoop instead of having the bulb hang off of the Axl plastic. IMO, it makes the area around the scoop look a bit less cluttered and having the scoop light up looks very nice.

I removed the bulb socket from the old Axl plastic and pulled it through to underneath the playfield. Next I needed a bracket to mount the socket to. I just took an old piece of metal, drilled a hole in each end and bent it to fit. I mounted the bracket to the front screw that holds the scoop to the playfield.

GNR1.jpg GNR2.jpg
#62 6 years ago

That's actually an excellent idea... I always thought it a bit strange to put a rivet in Axl's crotch.

#63 6 years ago

Thanks for this idea. I will follow you

1 month later
#64 6 years ago

Just thought I'd chip in with my two cents. The shaker does in fact work for the gnr US v3 rom when set up using the instructions from poibug. Thanks poibug!

A few changes I had to make were to run a new lead from PPB:J8:12 to shaker board J1 pin 6 so as to keep the knocker, and had to get 9vac from pins 4 and 10 on the flipper board to go to j1 pins 1 and 4 on the motor driver board (the above states 9 and 10, and the schematic says 6 and 7, neither seemed to be 9vac). Also some of the pin numbers on the PPB and CPU were incorrect in these instructions, as the the marker pins have been designated a pin number where my PPB and CPU didn't count them.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from nath2099:

Just thought I'd chip in with my two cents. The shaker does in fact work for the gnr US v3 rom when set up using the instructions from poibug. Thanks poibug!
A few changes I had to make were to run a new lead from PPB:J8:12 to shaker board J1 pin 6 so as to keep the knocker, and had to get 9vac from pins 4 and 10 on the flipper board to go to j1 pins 1 and 4 on the motor driver board (the above states 9 and 10, and the schematic says 6 and 7, neither seemed to be 9vac). Also some of the pin numbers on the PPB and CPU were incorrect in these instructions, as the the marker pins have been designated a pin number where my PPB and CPU didn't count them.

Please clarify exacly what needs to go where. Poibug's connector numbers are incorrect ? I want to try this mod as I have the shaker and board but now am very confused. Any chance of a tutorial? Thanks for posting.

#66 6 years ago

Hi MJW, not saying poibug's pin numbers are incorrect, they just differ from mine.

I have just taken some photos and will post what I did tomorrow.

#67 6 years ago

I don't know, my friend works at a local radio station, and met with Axl, had him sign his translate, and met with Slash, and got custom cards as well, AND got to discuss pinball with Slash for half an hour

Not to mention Pete Townshend last summer, and got to talk pinball with him as well. Lucky bastard!

#68 6 years ago

So here is what I have done, and I take absolutely no responsibility if you try this and it doesn't work, or worse...

This differs from poibug's instructions in that the pin markings on the CPU and PPB don't match, and 9VAC couldn't be found on either poibugs pins 9 and 10 on the flipper board J1, or the schematics pins 6 and 7 on the flipper board J1.

Anyway, here you are:

Step 1
Run a new cable from CPU CN12 Pin 9 (The left hand end pin of CN12, image_1 A) to PPU J8 Pin 9 (Second pin from left hand end of J8, image_1 B)
image_1.jpg

Step 2
Run a new cable from PPU J8 Pin 10 (The left hand end pin of J8, image_1 B) to Shaker board pin 7 (image_2)
image_2.jpg

Step 3
Splice into wires for pins 10 and 4 on flipper board (image_3, for me was 9VAC but measure it with a multi-meter) and connect them to pins 2 and 4 on shaker board (doesn't matter which way)
image_3.jpg

#69 6 years ago

How is the shaker? Worthwhile mod? What's the cheapest way to get a shaker and board? Does the Stern one work?

#70 6 years ago

Hi Shredso, worthwhile? Hmm not sure, I kinda like it but I'm not yet convinced it adds to the game. Will get back to you.

I'd hazard a guess that the stern one is the same thing... the pinouts are likely different but the board on the DE motor just converts the power to DC and limits the current, in theory any shaker motor would be fine.

#71 6 years ago

Wow. Talk about some step by step instructions. Thank you for making it so clear.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

grips_new.jpg 266 KB

these are so sweet. nice mod!

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from nath2099:

Hi Shredso, worthwhile? Hmm not sure, I kinda like it but I'm not yet convinced it adds to the game. Will get back to you.
I'd hazard a guess that the stern one is the same thing... the pinouts are likely different but the board on the DE motor just converts the power to DC and limits the current, in theory any shaker motor would be fine.

Yeah, I guess the board is pretty simple. Either shakes or it doesn't. Definitely let us know if you think it's a worthy add on.

1 month later
#74 6 years ago

I bought an LED strip to light up the snake but I have a question about how to power it. The strip runs off 12V DC.

I believe one option is to run the strip off of a 120V AC converter box. I would just need to plug the box into the Service outlet.

Otherwise I found 12V DC in the wiring harness for the printer. So I could just tap into that and a ground? I'd rather not splice into wires if I don't have to...

#75 6 years ago

I have a repo plastics set for this game if someone needs one.

Love the custom grips.

#76 6 years ago

*****sold******

#77 6 years ago

I did black nickel on mine - looks so much better than black powder coat. Not cheap though.

#78 6 years ago

PDx - PM sent

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

That's why I have mine side by side!

2 weeks later
#80 6 years ago

I just finished adding a green LED strip to the left of the snake ramp which worked very well to light up the body of the snake. I also added a flexible LED bulb near the head of the snake to give the head a bit of extra light. I tied both of these into the "rose plunger" light so unfortunately the only time they blink on and off is when the ramp is active. Based on gameplay, I don't believe they will stay in a continuous "ON" state at any point in the game.
So, my thoughts were to at least tie the green LED strip into a GI circuit to keep the snake body lit during the entire game but keep the snake head LED tied into the rose plunger light so it only lights/blinks when the snakepit is active.
Any thoughts/opinions/personal mods on this idea?

#81 6 years ago

your LED strip is probably a 12V strip which wouldn´t be very bright on the 6.3VAC that come the GI circuit. Haven´t tried it, though....

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

your LED strip is probably a 12V strip which wouldn´t be very bright on the 6.3VAC that come the GI circuit. Haven´t tried it, though....

Indeed, it is a 12V strip so the brightness would be a concern.
Is there somewhere I could tie into 12V continuous? The strip is very bright when the flashing is going on but for the amount of time that the snake is lit, it's hardly seen.

#83 6 years ago

Here are my Slash and snake pictures... I only used one screw in the Slash foot so far but might add a second if needed but he's fairly secure with the one. The amp stack I just used Velcro.
I've included snake pictures lit and unlit to show the marked difference when adding lights.Slash 1.jpgSlash 2.jpg

#84 6 years ago

snake side on.jpgsnake side off-697.jpg

#85 6 years ago

snake head on-338.jpgsnake head off-526.jpg

#86 6 years ago

Here is what I did to add extra light to the Axl scoop. I tapped off the power to the light over the top of the scoop and used a 6 SMD LED to the side of the scoop next to the rubber post. When lit, it adds quite a bit of color to the otherwise dark scoop.
scoop 1.jpgscoop 2.jpgscoop 3.jpgscoop 4.jpgscoop 5.jpgscoop 6.jpgscoop 7.jpg

1 week later
#87 6 years ago

Finally got around to installing the shaker mod using instructions in this thread. Works perfectly.

1 month later
#88 6 years ago

Very Nice! what exactly did you do to the plate to allow the paint to stick? Also what type paint did you use?

Michael

Quoted from Nelly:

I upgraded the grips on the gun shooter. Added real Ruger rosewood grips. Also painted the mounting plate black so that only the gun was chrome.

DSC02808.JPG 520 KB

DSC02805.JPG 571 KB

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

Very Nice! what exactly did you do to the plate to allow the paint to stick? Also what type paint did you use?
Michael

Thanks! Unfortunately I do not remember. I did this like 10 years ago. I am pretty sure I just scuffed up the plate with a scotch bright pad and shot it with a primer and then a gloss black paint. The paint wasn't anything special. Most likely just a rattle can from Home Depot.

#90 6 years ago

Look how much that soop is pushing up on the Axl plastic.

Best thing i did for this game was to replace that scoop with one from RBON. Other scoops will work too, just need one with less of a curved arc and some side webbing.

This of course makes it so your light mod will not work, but you can light the scoop from underneath as there is more room with a deeper scoop.

-c

1 week later
#91 5 years ago

one more question ... do you remember what typr of ruger grips you used? there are redhawk Blackhawk and super black hawk ...all are different .... thanks! =)

Quoted from Nelly:

I upgraded the grips on the gun shooter. Added real Ruger rosewood grips. Also painted the mounting plate black so that only the gun was chrome.

DSC02808.JPG 520 KB

DSC02805.JPG 571 KB

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

one more question ... do you remember what typr of ruger grips you used? there are redhawk Blackhawk and super black hawk ...all are different .... thanks! =)

If I'm not mistaken they are Blackhawk grips.

#93 5 years ago

Ok thanks much!

Quoted from Nelly:

If I'm not mistaken they are Blackhawk grips.

#94 5 years ago

I just had custom drop targets made. I purchased new drop targets, colored them in black, had graphics company print off the album covers stickers made of durable material, then clear coated.

DSC08435.JPG DSC08436.JPG
#95 5 years ago

I added a set of WOZ LE green legs. I had red ones on it the last 5 years so thought I'd switch it up. I like the outcome.

20140406_211351.jpg
#96 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I just had custom drop targets made. I purchased new drop targets, colored them in black, had graphics company print off the album covers stickers made of durable material, then clear coated.

DSC08435.JPG 247 KB

DSC08436.JPG 298 KB

Those are really nice . Big improvement over stock. Do you have any you would be willing to sell?

#97 5 years ago

I actually didn't have any extras made but could look into it as I have the artwork files done that were used for it. I thought the "piano key" drop targets made no sense in GNR... yes they have piano in a few songs but album covers made more sense from the original lineup including original Appetite artwork

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I actually didn't have any extras made but could look into it as I have the artwork files done that were used for it. I thought the "piano key" drop targets made no sense in GNR... yes they have piano in a few songs but album covers made more sense from the original lineup including original Appetite artwork

Those are awesome and agree they fit the theme much better. I'd be interested if you made more or even if you just had the file and we could make our own, that would work too.

#99 5 years ago

The only trick to it would be finding someone to print them onto a durable coated material. I will ask my graphics person what material they used. Otherwise it was just a matter of taking the album cover and printing it (they did that), stick it on, clear coat to protect. I purchased the drop targets brand new and just painted them black.

#100 5 years ago

You can also just print them out with a home printer and put Mylar over the decal. Might not look as good as some ways but not bad at all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 259.99
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside