Topic Stats

• 340 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 125 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F923AF35-0B3D-4AF3-8D85-A5D83B67BBF1 (resized).jpeg
7E6F0B21-B63F-4C09-8D67-3B0B6B74CB48 (resized).jpeg
C7075DC8-9518-40DC-8F3E-4EA0B17B3250 (resized).jpeg
D7240333-3F7E-4BFE-93E8-3B412C146C23 (resized).jpeg
6860D024-48C5-4566-B7A9-BF78E3AD272C (resized).jpeg
99F9D6F3-B367-48A9-B518-97B9EE4AB985 (resized).png
BD0FECEA-C569-4401-B812-C4DA21AFA833 (resized).png
45A77C01-49E9-4894-AAD4-04031D125C0B (resized).png
6E93A2E9-702D-4189-8574-2AABCAF4E737 (resized).png
706558EF-6A35-4A96-AF2A-BCB938D1506B (resized).png
7F4C745B-46EE-4291-A23E-16872E78FA04 (resized).png
D46856C2-8416-437F-84EF-5250F1463F2E (resized).jpeg
6A6E20EB-03CA-4368-A3E6-B87938357653 (resized).jpeg
9E295AAA-A0B4-419E-A08B-41BBB8859489 (resized).jpeg
23C4F1E3-F499-4D8A-9486-8D4E81CC7709 (resized).jpeg
8124E79F-A393-4B11-BF5C-A524B7836F9C (resized).jpeg

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 6 years ago

I am getting ready to shop out my GNR and add some mods to it. I searched this forum and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I do not have a topper, and I don't want to spend $500+ for the original. I thought it would be cool to add some authentic Gunners memorabilia, but there is nothing that would really work as a topper. I could also pass on a topper, it isn't that important to me. Any thoughts?

Here is the list of upgrades/mods that I am thinking about. I am looking for recommendations and feedback.

1. FF speaker upgrade.
2. McFarlane Slash Figure: http://static.zoovy.com/img/toynk/W280-H280-Bffffff/F/fhs.jpg
3. Pinbits Mirrored Backboard Plastic: http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_55&products_id=420&zenid=78ppir340f7qlsuj9nvd47alt4
3a. Red Cold Cathodes Tubes to mount behind Mirrored Backboard Plastic
4. PinCardz: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=116472198364429&set=a.116467391698243.18752.116464558365193&type=1&theater
5. I purchased a new G ramp.
6. Translite: I purchased new.
7. Plastic Set: Purchased
8. Plastic Protectors: Purchased
9. Axl scoop metal protector: Purchased
10. Black Pearl Grade 25 ball for Captive Ball
11. Lighted Flipper Buttons: Going with green
12. LED's: I haven't purchased any and hope to have some feedback on whether to do this or not. Maybe specific colors in certain inserts?
13. Gun Grips: Very cool, but I am passing on this.
14. Lighted Snake: Looking for some feedback on how to light this.

Thanks!

Post edited by xsonics2k2 : Updated the list.

#2 6 years ago

Not a must, but you could install the GnR topper that Laseriffic makes. A lot cheaper than $500

#3 6 years ago

How bout a mod that puts the original band back together? Were there six members? (just kidding,Matt,Gilby,Dizzy,you rock!) Saw them X-mas eve 1987! Great show!

#4 6 years ago

5 original members

#5 6 years ago

Cliffy Axl hole and ramp protectors

Pinbits mirror and a red cold cathode tube behind it to light it up.

Upgrade the speakers.

Game doesn't really need much else!

#7 6 years ago

You could Light up the Cobra head w/ a CoinTaker Green Flex tied into a Gi .. lOOked Awesome .. If you need any more info , PM me or Post here .. I Liked GNR , this was the 1st Tyme i've owned this Pin , and I did everything I could Possibly do to it.. I also changed the shooter coil to a 550 , bit More Power !!

I Sold it to Hank in York ,Pa ..

GNR_Led_s_&_Video_#2_001.JPG GNR_Led_s_&_Video_#2_011.JPG GNR_Led_s_&_Video_#2_015.JPG GNR_Led_s_&_Video_#2_019.JPG GNR_Led_s_&_Video_#2_016.JPG GNR_Shop_d_&_Led_d_003.JPG

#8 6 years ago

Slash figure is a must!!

image.jpg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

You could Light up the Cobra head w/ a Green Flex tied into a Gi .. lOOked Awesome .. If you need any more info , PM me or Post here ..

Ok, now that's cool. I don't like the Slash figure mod, or really any of the GNR mods I've seen over the years, but the snake-light mod looks good.

BR, how long a strip did you use and where did you tie it in? It'd be cool if you could activate it with the Rose shooter lane switch, to make getting into the Snake Pit that much more dramatic.

I like it! Might do it!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

BR, how long a strip did you use and where did you tie it in? It'd be cool if you could activate it with the Rose shooter lane switch, to make getting into the Snake Pit that much more dramatic.

I Hot Glued a 555 Dome light ( without the Dome ) using a CoinTaker Green Super Flex to the Top of the Cobra Plastic and ran 2 wires to the Nearest GI . I thought about wiring it to the Snake Pit Light , but It Wouldn't come on that much , as you See in the video's above .

I figured it would be a Cool thing to do , as I have Never seen it Done before in any Pict or video I've seen of GNR .. The Imagination is a Wonderful Thing .

#11 6 years ago

Great suggestions, I will make sure to add protectors to the list.

B_R, the light you added to the snake looks great! Thanks for the pictures and videos! Gotta love those crazy magnets!

I may add some red lighted flipper buttons to the list.

I actually dig the Slash figure, to each their own. It is the perfect size and it adds some visual interest to the upper 1/3rd of the playfield. It doesn't affect the line of sight on the ball and it is really well made.

I wonder how a few black pinballs would look?

#12 6 years ago

I put a black ball in the captive ball spot. It's pretty cool!

#13 6 years ago

I put a Black Pearl in my Centaur > "Queens Chamber"...it's awesome....
Also use a Black Pearl in my Bally Strikes & Spares, looks like a real Bowling Ball, and it plays so much better than a regular ball.....

Stu

Quoted from Breadfan:

#14 6 years ago

I upgraded the grips on the gun shooter. Added real Ruger rosewood grips. Also painted the mounting plate black so that only the gun was chrome.

DSC02808.JPG DSC02805.JPG

#15 6 years ago

The gun mod is nice!

#16 6 years ago

Nelly , Yr GNR loOk's GoOd bro ..

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I upgraded the grips on the gun shooter. Added real Ruger rosewood grips. Also painted the mounting plate black so that only the gun was chrome.

Wow! Where can I order this?

#18 6 years ago

Yeah id be keen to do this also....could any grip be made to fit...like these?

http://www.gungrip.com/items_041__page0.html

#19 6 years ago

Thanks guys!

Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Wow! Where can I order this?

Pretty much anywere that sells gun grips. I actually got mine off of eBay.

Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Yeah id be keen to do this also....could any grip be made to fit...like these?
http://www.gungrip.com/items_041__page0.html

Yes any of the older ruger revolver grips should be able to be made to work. There will be a small amount of trimming nessassary towards the top corner of the new grips (at least on mine there were) but for the most part was a straight forward swap. I cant remember exactly, but I may have had to drill a hole in the GnR handle as I dont think the screw holes were the same. All in all I think it took me less then 30 min to install them.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I love the black plate to make the gun stand out.

Chris

#22 6 years ago

Lol.

I also have cliffy, original topper, appetite for pinball decal and slash mcfarlane(which I need to install)

#23 6 years ago

Nope, I win.

GNR_prototype_1.jpg

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

I love the black plate to make the gun stand out.
Chris

Thanks! It really does improve the look of the gun!

#25 6 years ago

Nice legs!! I went with Red.

image.jpg

#26 6 years ago

We do have a guitar and drum mod for GnR which are on my site. Here are some pics along with the topper.

Joe

PB100226.JPG PB100227.JPG GnR_Topper_001.jpg

#27 6 years ago

Didn't see the topper on the laseriffic site. Where can it be ordered from.

Thanks,

Mike

#28 6 years ago

I have one available right now. Go to our Contact Us page and send me the information listed and I will process it this weekend for you.

Joe

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Nope, I win.

Now that is sick. How long did it take to get them all.

Chris

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Nope, I win.

Yes you do! Nice work!

#31 6 years ago

where can i buy the figurine of slash and marshal amp

#32 6 years ago

More expensive than US sellers, but Ministry if Pinball has the GNR plastics set. I ordered from them last month and everything was great.

#33 6 years ago

I got my mcfarlane from eBay

#34 6 years ago

Just finished lighting up the outhole kicker on the left with a color-changing bulb. I like the effect, but the blues don't come through well, and will probably change it to a cool white bulb.

Also got my cold cathode tubes in for the pinbits backboard mod, as well as one I am going to run the length of the snake. Wasn't planning on doing any lights on the snake, but the kit was 4 bucks via amazon, so it was hard to pass up!

1 week later
#35 6 years ago

This project has officially started and I have a few questions...

Posts: Should I go with black rubber posts since 'premium cliffy post sleeves' do not come in black?

LED's: I am not a big LED fan, but I do like using them in certain areas that need extra lighting. Has anyone used LED's and if so, are there specific areas to light up to help make the game pop? If so, where and what LED's do you suggest?

For those of you who have installed the McFarlane Slash figure & amps, how did you install this?

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Pinbits mirror and a red cold cathode tube behind it to light it up.

Dsuperbee: How did you mount the red cold cathode tube? I saw another thread where someone mounted two of these. Do you think 1 is enough, or should I go for 2?

THANKS!!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Great idea!

#37 6 years ago

flipper mod

002.JPG

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

For those of you who have installed the McFarlane Slash figure & amps, how did you install this?

Heres what i did and was pretty easy, simply place the figure on the lane plastics positioned one foot on each of the middle ones until its where it looks good to you.. What I did which worked pretty good was put masking tape around his feet to show where the feet would be after you remove the figure. Then take the plastic lane dividers off the machine and drill two small holes in them where the two holes on the slash figure's feet line up. Then use two screws and screw into the hole already in the figure's feet.

#39 6 years ago

Nice!

Quoted from Doot77:

Heres what i did and was pretty easy, simply place the figure on the lane plastics positioned one foot on each of the middle ones until its where it looks good to you.. What I did which worked pretty good was put masking tape around his feet to show where the feet would be after you remove the figure. Then take the plastic lane dividers off the machine and drill two small holes in them where the two holes on the slash figure's feet line up. Then use two screws and screw into the hole already in the figure's feet.

Another reason I like that McFarlane figure is because the feet do match up perfectly. It is a natural fit. Thanks for the tip. What about the amp?

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

This project has officially started and I have a few questions...
Posts: Should I go with black rubber posts since 'premium cliffy post sleeves' do not come in black?
LED's: I am not a big LED fan, but I do like using them in certain areas that need extra lighting. Has anyone used LED's and if so, are there specific areas to light up to help make the game pop? If so, where and what LED's do you suggest?

Dsuperbee: How did you mount the red cold cathode tube? I saw another thread where someone mounted two of these. Do you think 1 is enough, or should I go for 2?
THANKS!!

I have not mounted them yet. I am going with 2, since I got them for something super cheap, around 5 bucks plus 3 bucks delivered. I am figuring I will use some velcro screwed underneath (depending on clearance), or from the back. But on the backside I may have to come up with some other plan due to the wiring coming down from the backboard.

Under the snake for the green tube I very well may use some old erector set pieces to help secure it to the ramp so it is easily removed if I decide I do not like it.

Trying to get started on this tonight, but I just got back from a work trip and have to send some PF pics to another pinsider here first.

#41 6 years ago

I didn't put the amp in myself as I didn't really like how it looked in there (to busy) but I've seen it mounted to the RH side near the pop bumpers usually. One thing to check before you put it in there the figure is only an 1/4 inch at most from hitting the glass when installed so make sure it fits before you commit to the spot. The farther back the better.

#42 6 years ago

Good tips. Thanks!

I will post pictures here when everything is finished.

1 week later
#43 6 years ago

I updated the list on the original post to include some of the suggestions in this thread that I am going to add to the project. Thanks.

Is it possible to add a Shaker Motor to GNR? If so, is it worth it?

There is a rubber sleeve post missing from G ramp entrance: Any idea where to find one?

Cheers,
Brad

#44 6 years ago

I velcro'd an amp on each of the ramps,and changed the normal lamp mounted on there to a LED's

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

poibug

#45 6 years ago

I also added a shaker - it is actually provisioned in the software for the Japanese version of the G n R's (summat to do with it had tohave the same number of motors as Tommy IIRC).
So in solenoid test it says not used but it is as it tests and works in the game at various times - eg jackpot ramp shots and popper hits

Figured it out one day whilst going through the schematics IIRc.
Just used a standard shaker motor and resistor/fuse board from a Checkpoint a mate had parted.

did it years ago but will see if I can did out my schematic i made

poibug

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from poibug:

I also added a shaker - it is actually provisioned in the software for the Japanese version of the G n R's (summat to do with it had tohave the same number of motors as Tommy IIRC).
So in solenoid test it says not used but it is as it tests and works in the game at various times - eg jackpot ramp shots and popper hits

Figured it out one day whilst going through the schematics IIRc.
Just used a standard shaker motor and resistor/fuse board from a Checkpoint a mate had parted.

did it years ago but will see if I can did out my schematic i made

poibug

Good to know poibug! I am definitely interested in what you find.

#47 6 years ago

I would be interested as well....it would be great to add a shaker.

#48 6 years ago

Right,just found the notes i made

1.NEW CABLE IN BACKBOX from CPU CN12:9 to PPBJ8:11
2.RELOCATE KNOCKER DRIVE CABLE in backbox to PPB:J8:12(solenoid drive 16)and the cab end to shaker board J1 pins 6 and 7 on mine this was VIOL/GREY
3.The shaker board needs 9vac.I took this from the flipper board in the cabinet.
FLIPPER BOARD CN2:9 to shaker board J1:4 and 5
FLIPPER BOARD CN2:10 to shaker board J1 and 2
4.Obviously the shaker positive goes to shaker board J2:3 and 5 and negative to J2 and 2

As I said previously I used a checkpoint driver and shaker

poibug

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Very cool.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from poibug:

Right,just found the notes i made
1.NEW CABLE IN BACKBOX from CPU CN12:9 to PPBJ8:11
2.RELOCATE KNOCKER DRIVE CABLE in backbox to PPB:J8:12(solenoid drive 16)and the cab end to shaker board J1 pins 6 and 7 on mine this was VIOL/GREY
3.The shaker board needs 9vac.I took this from the flipper board in the cabinet.
FLIPPER BOARD CN2:9 to shaker board J1:4 and 5
FLIPPER BOARD CN2:10 to shaker board J1 and 2
4.Obviously the shaker positive goes to shaker board J2:3 and 5 and negative to J2 and 2
As I said previously I used a Checkpoint driver and shaker
poibug

Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside