IMG_20210308_033402 (resized).jpg
E2B32D93-9D97-4596-8CF1-D142182A1729 (resized).jpeg
4ACDB43A-DE59-440E-95AE-6EC6AAB858AD (resized).jpeg
01425449-AD0E-4C9A-9D33-993990E99DA9 (resized).jpeg
94EBEBB2-873B-4681-8F33-DA633660CBC2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #891 Featurette video. Posted by Coz (3 years ago)

Post #897 Full song list Posted by pinball_keefer (3 years ago)

Post #958 All 3 versions of playfields side by side. Posted by sevenrites (3 years ago)

Post #1172 Keith clarifies Coma rule Posted by pinball_keefer (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1451 3 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Also, I remember when JJP wanted to start making pinball machines- for the good of the hobby! To make the best, fully optioned games with lots of toys and creativity/innovation! All at a reasonable price to the end consumer!

I remember it differently. As I recall, Jack was a long time distributor for Stern and he wasn't happy as more and more features were being stripped from the games.
He believed people were willing to pay a premium price for a premium product, and started JJP with that model in mind. I think the introductory $6500 pre-order price for WOZ was about $2k higher than Stern at that time (Iron Man Pro).

#1455 3 years ago

I didn't understand why JJP would make another GNR pin with all the other possibilities. After seeing the reveal it makes more sense. What a difference having Slash super passionate about the project and the entire band involved. Looking forward to seeing more gameplay.

#1633 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The irony is the stripped down IM had such demand that it was brought back

True, but it was panned as a bare bones game when it was first released. Took a while for it to build a following as people started to appreciate fast, fun, in your face games with less features.

#1635 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A little hilarious that the main 'toy' is exactly the same as Avengers, pretty funny timing, but not Eric's fault. It's a record, it makes sense.

Yeah, makes sense but I'm not a big fan of that mech as it was on the Tesseract and TOTAN, tends to slow gameplay down and block shots in a not so fun way to me. Maybe the single post is better. Might have been more interesting if they added a motor to it.

#1656 3 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

This argument is futile. So JJP has another feature in the game for the CE. This is good news! Makes the game more desirable at that trim level.

Stop comparing Stern to JJP. Just because Stern does it, doesn't mean that is the only.

What's ironic to me is that JJP started by emphasizing that all their games would play the same, differences between trim levels would only be cosmetic. I think the Wonkavator was the first change to that business model. Now the Coma ball lock for LE vs CE, which I think is the first playfield difference between an LE and CE among all the companies.

I also find it interesting that JJP's original intent was not to go after Stern's lower price point market. Times change and I don't begrudge them changing their business model to try and make more sales but I am disappointed in their decision to make a physical gameplay change between the LE and CE.

And...GNR looks great! Theme integration is top notch.

#1873 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Even after they do, they’ll make a ruby red, a black arrow, or black pearl..

Yeah, I expect they'll figure out a way to meet demand in the coming years.

#1883 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

It’s actually not that simple.
Not every distributor will get the same allocation. An individual distributor’s allocation is going to be based on their tier and prior sales.

Quoted from frankmac:

I am sure 50 CE’s go to the band.

200 overseas.

If all these things are taken into consideration, how could the distributors be certain of how many machines they would be allocated before JJP notified them?

Seems like the distributors should be putting people on a waiting list rather than promising them games they don't have confirmed.

Quoted from PtownPin:

I totally believe that, but so what! JJP has those numbers. All they had to do is allocate the day before the game hit the market and problem is solved.

True, but I doubt anyone expected 500 CE's to sell out the first day. This is unprecedented for JJP. Maybe they should have made people submit application videos to slow down the process.

#1960 3 years ago

After reading multiple posts where people said the Standard looked stripped and close to a Stern Pro, I took a closer look.
Are they kidding?

What Stern pro has anything close to three flippers, 27" and 7" displays, all RGB lighting with new side rail lights, 2 ramps, custom 3d sculpts (Axl and hat), real drumstick ramp return, real back glass, spinning disk, individual targets, guitar pick spinners, tons of playfield lights (world map) and hex stage lights, plus all the sound, video and animation content?

Seems like a good value if it plays well. Looks closer to a Stern Premium to me (exceeds in some areas, lacks maybe one more interactive mech).

#2099 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why can't people just agree that they BOTH look like great games?

I agree, they both look like great games.

I think it's natural for people to compare games (content, value, etc.). Especially when a new one comes out.

With a forum this large, you get a bunch of different opinions and different ways of stating them. I expect there are also a few trolls, people with axes to grind and company plants sprinkeled in.

It all generates discussion, which I think is a good thing.

#2124 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

JJP is #2 in the pinball world, so we SHOULD compare it to #1. I don't get the apples oranges argument. They are slowly moving toward one another's approach toward the market.

Stern pulled up its socks because of jjp. JJP let its socks down to become profitable.

I was thinking the same thing. If you look at JJP's game progression (WOZ>Hobbit>POTC>Wonka>GNR) it seems like after POTC the games have been getting fewer mechs.

GNR is clearly a winner (barring some fatal gameplaying flaw) and it has some of the best theme integration and cosmetics I've seen but no drops, subways, animated dragon, rocking ship, etc..

Good for profitability and reliability, not so good for cool interactive playfield toys. I will be a little sad if JJP stops using more mechs as a way to separate themselves from the competition.

#2140 3 years ago

I hope they set up the game well. Seems like the initial videos for JJP games tend to have the games too slow and floaty.

They have flipper power adjustments for a reason.

#2225 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

It WAS kinda fun wasn't it? The game was set up at a decent angle and had some speed. Linsey made it look easy and also made it look like the longest playing, most forgiving game ever. Luckily the guys would promptly bomb out showing the game maybe wasn't too easy after all.
"What The Flip" https://www.twitch.tv/videos/763534548
On the other hand I had to turn off the Buffalo stream after a few minutes as I guess they didn't know how to set up the game. Never seen a modern game set so slow and floaty. What a shame.
Tried to warn 'em early on how slow it looked on the stream and promptly got "moderated" lol.
-

Agreed. Why does this happen so much with JJP initial release videos?

How difficult is it to crank up the back legs and increase the flipper power in the settings? Also, this is a music pin, play a few games with the volume up!

Combine the floaty pitch with someone who has a slow and methodical playing style (but hasn't mastered the shot geometries) and it was a little difficult to watch. Still, I appreciate Kevin for streaming the game and it was nice hearing the commentary from the team.

I think the "What the Flip" stream is a better representation of the energy the game can create. I still think the game should be set up faster but the variety of players helped.

First impressions are important!

#2305 3 years ago

Keith has programmed some of my favorite games so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.

What I like most about his programming style is the way he embraces the theme of whatever game he's working on and takes you on a journey.
His layered and complex rules usually give you multiple ways to approach the game and grow with you over time.

I like his goal oriented rulesets with rewards in the form of cool light shows, display and sound effects, which I prefer over score oriented rulesets with rewards like playfield and shot multipliers that have little fanfare.

He also has intricate risk vs reward rules to maximize your score if you want to learn them, play in tournaments, etc...

From what I've seen so far, GNR has all of the above.

TL:dr
A few streams that look multiball heavy are not going to shake my faith in Keith's master programming skills.

#2457 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm still on the fence about this pin. I prefer pins that have a majority of its ruleset focused on objective based modes that push an events forward from a theme.

I'm the same way. I'm more interested in advancing the game towards some goal and/or making cool things happen than I am increasing the score.
I also like the basic rules to be easy to grasp. I definitely see this in GNR.

1) play Songs to get to Album modes.
2) tour the country to get to Tour multiball.
3) hit the spinners and disk to get Slash multiball.
4) do all of the above to get to the wizard mode.

There are two-ball booster multiballs that can help you when you're in a song mode (slow the rate of the boo meter, increase score, etc).
There are rewards for completing songs, like getting an Encore and immediately starting the next song.
There are patches and posters to collect that give different awards.

I won't know until I play it but I see the potential for lots of non score-based enjoyment.

#2467 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

What is the most loved and played multiball in the history of pinball? I would say Addam's. Why? Well, you have to earn it.

I like the build up and payoff in the way Addam's and that era game typically implemented multiball.

Some might say LOTR is multiball heavy but I really like the way it was implemented. Varied and interesting goals for each multiball and necessary to advance the game.

I also like the way multiball was used in AFM as an important role in destroying the saucer and the challenge of getting the super jackpot.

It seems like Keith Johnson targets his rulesets to have long legs in a home environment. People tend to gain appreciation the more time they have on them. We'll see if this holds true for GNR.

#2540 3 years ago

JJP has been known for taking a long time to deliver games after they are announced. What a turn-around.

Is shipping games the same day they are revealed a modern industry first?

Regardless, well done (and with what looks like polished code).

#2700 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Loved some of the shots on Avengers LE and Pro, but the polish, sound design, code, and production level of GnR makes it a non comparison in many ways.

I think Stern has been doing pretty well lately code wise, considering they're putting out 3 to 4 games a year. The polish JJP is able to give to their code with their slower release schedule is one of the things I really like about their games.

#2703 3 years ago

Regarding airballs, seems to me they start appearing after a game has been played a bit and the targets get bent back.

On WOZ the center target was the culprit. The airballs would usually hit the bottom and sides of the munchkin playfield, but they could get airborn enough to strike the top.

On GNR the front and bottom of the headstock is protected. I can't tell if there are any targets that could launch a ball high enough to hit the top.

I doubt the balls rolling off the head would cause wear but it's easy enough to put a piece of mylar down if there is concern.

#2753 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

CE’s owners deserve the honor and envy to be first, followed by LE owners and finally SE owners.

Kind of agree, but as the saying goes, 'He who laughs last...'

#2984 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I’m not hearing that game play is outstanding, shot is incredible and so forth

Quite a few people have posted that it plays great to them, though it may be hard to separate pure gameplay from the overall experience.

Lots of comments about the playfield layout, it's important, but only a portion of the fun in a game.

To me, a game with an okay playfield layout and great software is usually going to be more fun than a game with a great playfield layout and okay software. By software I mean the rules plus the audio, video, display and lighting effects.

#3079 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

First impressions are everything to some pinheads. So it is understandable that someone doesn't enjoy the game because they don't understand it initially. Or sometimes people write off a game as SO bad because they can't make any shots...

Unfair drains are a problem too. Multiple people have mentioned that made shots can lead to balls going to the right outlane. That can leave a bad first impression, like the right orbit on TZ going SDTM if you don't use the upper flipper to deflect the ball.

I heard that it shouldn't do this on GNR and that a metal rail can we tweaked to fix it. Hopefully, they'll get this sorted at the factory.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3085 3 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I do think all the multi-balls were a bit much. As I was playing it was just craziness and I was just mashing the flippers to save the balls. Aiming for anything was pretty much out of the question because the multiballs.

I think that's common for less experienced players. When my wife first started playing, I remember her telling me she didn't like getting multiball because it was too overwhelming. Now that she's gotten better, she enjoys them and can aim for shots amidst the chaos.

I find games get easier and more fun as I get to know them. A good game makes me want to get to know it. A great game keeps me interested.

From what I see and what many have said, GNR has the potential to do both, but so much is personal preference. Looking forward to playing it.

#3087 3 years ago
Quoted from BallPin:

This guy seriously ranked Stranger Things Pro higher than JJP's Guns N Roses. I understand opinions and experiences vary, but come on man...you're telling me Stranger Things Pro is better than GnR....Get outta here!

To him, yes. He doesn't come across to me as someone who is trolling so I'll accept his opinion as being honest.

Quoted from fnosm:

The great thing about a person expressing their opinion is that we get to know a bit more about them which helps us to determine how much we value their opinions.

Well said! I'll add that I appreciate an honest opinion, even if it's different than mine.

#3090 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Watching some of Buffalo stream getting Multiballs all the time not counting the song modes just all the sudden we’re in another MB.
I like a few MB in my game as a break from single ball play. Never had one with constant non stop MB action. Probably ok for one pin in a large collection. I’ll probably like it as a change of pace.

Different is good in a larger collection. I can't help comparing each new release to the games I already have. What is it about the new release that makes it special and worth buying? If it's a theme I love, it still needs to be implemented well. If it's a typical layout, are there cool toys or unique rules that make it extra special? If it's a unique layout, does it shoot well?

I can see that the light show and theme integration (playfield and software) on GNR makes it special. I like a few GNR songs but it's not a theme I connect with, though not a show-stopper either. As such, the gameplaying experience is going to have to be special enough to overcome the theme for me to buy versus just playing at friends or on location.

#3095 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

I think the biggest concern of the Multiball heaviness, should be based on the not being able to trap up and use more skill during multi balls.

I love this rule. It encourages keeping all the balls going during multiball vs trapping most of the balls on one flipper then using the other flipper to play one ball at a time. More fun to watch and play with others. Imagine how long the multiballs would last otherwise when playing with people who are good at that technique.

It's not like no-hold flippers, you can still trap, hold and shoot but you have to be aware of your boo meter. People will get more skilled at shooting on the fly.

#3118 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Only the 913th time that's been asked lol. No Se's have shipped yet I believe

How about now, any video of the SE gameplay?

#3213 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

My thing is if you don’t like GNR and don’t plan on getting it, move on. Don’t ruin it for those who are excited. I’m not in the Avengers thread bashing it like I could. I’m not getting Avengers so I’m not there.

Hmmm...I'm not seeing much bashing going on. Sure there are some people voicing concerns, but if that's a problem it's best to stick to the owners thread.

In fact, the usual vocal anti-JJP posters are pretty quiet. This probably says more about GNR than anything else.

#3230 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Upper playfield doesn’t seem to interrupt the flow as you said so that i wonder if it was really needed, a different design of the left ramp or inner loop (not so smooth shot) could have removed it.

I guess for some, flow is everything in a game. I like it too but I also like interesting shots that do things other than return the ball to the flipper.

#3318 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I got to spend a couple uninterrupted hours playing an LE at the Blue Moon bar and grill in Madison, WI an figured I had enough time to put up an early review.
I'll start with the how the game looks.

Thanks for the thoughtful, balanced review.

#3328 3 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

Just so everyone knows, I have no agenda, I own JJP games, Spooky games, and Stern games....I also had a Wonka and a JP with crap playfields on them, so perhaps I’m a little more cautious....all I can say is that clear coat is 100% lifting from the art around that post, and that game isn’t even a week old.....it’s not gonna get better, it’s only gonna get worse before it finally chips.

You've said it first. Thanks for the heads-up.

As always, time will tell.

#3369 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Problem is, not much hype train after these releases.

What makes that a problem?

I think getting past the impulse, hype train buy usually pays off in pinball.

#3702 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have had mine for 15 years. And I still love it. If it had the rules of a new pin nothing would ever beat it.

No way, all those toys and mechs getting in the way of the ball. No flow. Shouldn't rate higher than '3'.

#3720 3 years ago
Quoted from IcePagoda:

So, question for y'all (and since we're talking GnR, I'm making it a 'loaded' one.... *ba-dum-bum...tsss*)...
Having never played an Alien, Full Throttle or Captain Nemo (I think that's the name) where the informational screen is in the middle center of the slings, does it really make a difference when playing the game to make the shots you need to make or does it not make any difference than any other LCD game where you have to look up?
The reason I ask is because the only major gripe I have with GnR is a design choice where I feel like the band member inserts and that mini info screen could've been reversed. Since this game is so multiball heavy, I think that having that info screen in the middle of the slings (with a virtual band member count on the mini screen with lights representing the members on the backboard) would've been more efficient...?
I liken it to driving a car. 80-90% of the time you're concentrating on the dash, what's directly in front of you and what's coming up to the sides of the vehicle (flippers/slings/outlanes) and 10-20% is looking at where you're going to so you can make turns and modifications to speed (top half of the playfield).
At least in GnR you're getting that 'bullet' list (*rimshot*) of items that you need to accomplish but having to look up at the mini LCD is still taking concentration off the ball. You can trap for time, but it's at the detriment of that shot meter with the headbanging skull during songs. I was just wondering if having that screen in the center really makes that much difference, because I feel like that could have been useful here.

I have Full Throttle and Alien. Oddly enough, I tend to look at the inserts and back box for information instead of the playfield display, even though the information on the displays is the same. May be due to all the years of preconditioning.

#3848 3 years ago
Quoted from system11band:

If I am going to order one, I sure want some estimate of when I would get it. Are we talking Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines Day, or what?

Yes!

#4055 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I'm leaning towards a late run LE, after issues are worked out. It would be great to get one of the new Mirco playfields that look more chip resistant as well. I wonder when these are being implemented? This waiting strategy worked for me on my JP2Pre, which has zero issues, very high quality game.

But that requires patience and...

I want it now.gifI want it now.gif
#4301 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Once JJP figures out their GNR manufacturing they really should do another run of POTC games (although I doubt they'll do it)

I could see them doing another run of POTC if they think they can get enough sales at a price that works for them. Why wouldn't they? They've already sunk all the developement costs.

#4308 3 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

The company has no interest now in going backwards. It is full steam ahead for JJP, just watch.

I disagree. JJP needs to keep the production line moving. It would be smart to re-release already completed games, that have demand, when needed. Which I would expect with their longer design cycles.

I think that's what's kept Stern in business as opposed to the Williams/Bally one and done philosophy.

#4345 3 years ago

So...has Micron said when they first started putting their Spectrum playfields in GNR?

#4683 3 years ago

This is what I don't understand, if someone is concerned about playfield quality, time for delivery, non-refundable deposit, gameplay, or any of the many concerns made in this thread, why order a pinball machine when it's first released? There are typically issues to work through on the first games off the line.

It's not like anyone is forcing them to buy now.

#4932 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I know we will never get a answer but I wonder why they didnt do something about this shit after the POTC debacle?

I would bet Mirco has been working on it. Why wouldn't he? It's bad for his business and terrible for the manufacturers, like JJP, he supplies.

Hopefully, the playfields that are having problems aren't using the same process as the one on the Spectrum playfield, otherwise it's back to the drawing board for Mirco.

Some kinds of problems can't take a lot of trial and error to find a solution, if one can even be found.

JJP can choose to stop production, which may mean going out of business, or working with what they have and deal with the customers who have problems. Long term, they could try to find a different vendor with proven quality.

Customers can choose not to buy until they see definitive proof there is no chance they will get a bad playfield.

#4940 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

You’re correct that it can easily be manipulated by stern army, however we also shouldn’t just assume that it is. There is an obvious problem that caused jjp to start putting washers on recent builds. Yes, the poll isn’t 100%, but let’s not be naive and think there isn’t a real problem.

I don't think anyone is saying there isn't a real problem, we're just trying to get an idea of the scope.

Since anyone participating in the pole is reading the thread, how difficult is it to post a photo of the problem area on their machine?

That might give a more accurate number of the owners on pinside with issues. Would be interesting to compare the number of people who post photos to the number of positive responses in the pole.

#4943 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Sometimes I think the happiest pinball players are the ones who have never visited pinside.
They buy the games they feel like buying, play and enjoy them the way they want to...they don't go looking for issues.
Ignorance is bliss.

Until you go to sell.

Though, I've noticed as my eyesight has gotten worse over the years, I'm much happier with the way my playfields look.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11,000.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-hype?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.