pasted_image (resized).png
F794FF18-624F-407D-88C7-4BF7B927090B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20210308_033402 (resized).jpg
E2B32D93-9D97-4596-8CF1-D142182A1729 (resized).jpeg
4ACDB43A-DE59-440E-95AE-6EC6AAB858AD (resized).jpeg
01425449-AD0E-4C9A-9D33-993990E99DA9 (resized).jpeg
94EBEBB2-873B-4681-8F33-DA633660CBC2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 111.
#4851 3 years ago

Where is WCBrands to tell you not to worry about it ?

#4852 3 years ago

So hear me out..This isn't to suggest a solution but merely something more effective and attractive than a washer. Most of the pooling/chipping I have seen is coming from the inside of the lower sling post which seems to be taking the brunt of the force and compressing the playfield/chipping the clear in that area.

What about a plastic rail guard protector (I install these on all my games) that also doubles as a bridge to isolate and shore up the posts vertical position by sharing the load with the entire guard rail assembly and reducing the compression force of the iinner portion of the sling post?

I've come up with 3 options that could all effectively help...what do you guys think?

I've shaded them to highlight the variances. They could be clear in final design or even incorporate some color.

Again, I know there are other posts that pool and possibly chip, but this is going after the main culprit.

I'm trying to think worse case scenario here if the playfield issue can't be resolved or for those who wanrt some added protection without using washers.

chipguard.jpgchipguard.jpg

#4853 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

So hear me out..This isn't to suggest a solution but merely something more effective and attractive than a washer. Most of the pooling/chipping I have seen is coming from the inside of the lower sling post which seems to be taking the brunt of the force.
What about a plastic rail guard protector (I install these on all my games) that also doubles as a bridge to isolate and shore up the posts vertical position by sharing the load with the entire guard rail assembly and reducing the compression force of the iinner portion of the sling post?
I've come up with 3 options that could all effectively help...what do you guys think?
I've shaded them to highlight the variances. They could be clear in final design or even incorporate some color.
Again, I know there are other posts that pool and possibly chip, but this is going after the main culprit.
I'm trying to think worse case scenario here if the playfield issue can't be resolved or for those who wanrt some added protection without using washers.
[quoted image]

Great idea! Are u making these? If so, add me to the list.

#4854 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Great idea! Are u making these? If so, add me to the list.

Not making them, just throwing them out there as an idea if others have the means of fabrication.

Mezel Mods ?
ULEK ?

#4855 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Not making them, just throwing them out there as an idea if others have the means of fabrication.
Mezel Mods ?
ULEK ?

Gotcha. Still a good idea. I’m going to play the hell out of mine and just buy a extra playfield for HEP to clear the right way. It is what it is.

#4856 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Gotcha. Still a good idea. I’m going to play the hell out of mine and just buy a extra playfield for HEP to clear the right way. It is what it is.

It's possible to buy an extra CE playfield? I'm assuming you have had to purchase the CE? If so, I'll be doing the same!

#4857 3 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

It's possible to buy an extra CE playfield? I'm assuming you have had to purchase the CE? If so, I'll be doing the same!

Not yet but I’m sure it will be hopefully.

#4858 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Not yet but I’m sure it will be hopefully.

You’ll have to prove you own a CE but yes I think so

#4859 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Clearing over top of a base clear that is soft and not bonded? Not sure that will buy you anything and may make chipping worse. Now if you could buy a playfield before it had any clear on it and get it cleared properly that would be the ticket.

#4860 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Clearing over top of a base clear that is soft and not bonded? Not sure that will buy you anything and may make chipping worse. Now if you could buy a playfield before it had any clear on it and get it cleared properly that would be the ticket.

If the problem is the printing below the clear would that even do anything? Are we sure mircos issue is how they apply clear?

#4861 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

That’s great that you’re gonna do that, but if I’m spending $9,500 or 12,500 on a game I don’t think its too much to expect that I should be able to play the hell out of it WITHOUT having to buy another playfield. This frustrates me because I have a GnR LE on order and now I’m worrying that I’ll get a game that has this problem. Is it really too much to ask for them to fix this problem?

#4862 3 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

That’s great that you’re gonna do that, but if I’m spending $9,500 or 12,500 on a game I don’t think its too much to expect that I should be able to play the hell out of it WITHOUT having to buy another playfield. This frustrates me because I have a GnR LE on order and now I’m worrying that I’ll get a game that has this problem. Is it really too much to ask for them to fix this problem?

Hard not to agree....since JJP/Mirco has had this same problem for years its my guess they have enough data to know approximately what percentage of play fields are bad, and figure its cheaper to throw a few free play fields at people than to really figure out the problem. There is almost ZERO chance that I will ever do a play field swap so having a spare play field just takes up space. Making Play fields in volume with consistent quality just isn't something Mirco is capable of...so if JJP really want to solve this problem they need a new supplier. My guess is JJP knows this and is trying to figure out options.

#4863 3 years ago

That TOTALLY sucks. I'm sure JJP will do their best to find a solution soon.

jjp (resized).jpgjjp (resized).jpg
#4864 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

My guess is JJP knows this and is trying to figure out options.

I hope they figure out the options before too many more of these games go out. If after spending nearly $10,000 I have this problem I’ll be pissed, and that will turn me from a JJP fan to a JJP hater for sure.

#4865 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

You're up early. Didn't want the extra hour of sleep ?

LTG : )

#4866 3 years ago

Thanks for the info

#4867 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You're up early. Didn't want the extra hour of sleep ?
LTG : )

I don’t sleep anymore
Too busy

#4868 3 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

I’m with you. I have an LE on order too, but keep thinking about holding off. I really wish a jjp statement would come out to give us a vote of confidence that if our game chips they’ll take care of us, but I know they won’t do that. I should be excited to get my game instead of nervous that I’ll get a defective game instead. Takes a lot of the fun out of the purchase.

#4869 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Hard not to agree....since JJP/Mirco has had this same problem for years its my guess they have enough data to know approximately what percentage of play fields are bad, and figure its cheaper to throw a few free play fields at people than to really figure out the problem. There is almost ZERO chance that I will ever do a play field swap so having a spare play field just takes up space. Making Play fields in volume with consistent quality just isn't something Mirco is capable of...so if JJP really want to solve this problem they need a new supplier. My guess is JJP knows this and is trying to figure out options.

I hope they have accurate data. If someone is denied a new play field from QC manager does that game still get tallied into the equation? County I live in is urging healthy people to get COVID tested to bring down the percentages so they can get approval to open up. New math...tweak the percentages and hide that there’s a true threat.

So I think it’s bigger than JJP or Mirco realize, or at least it used to, the washer is a step in the right direction as they are at least acknowledging there’s a problem. Now that they’ve acknowledged it, let’s see how long it takes for them to resolve it.

EDIT: that’s why it’s good that threads and forums like ours don’t go away, proof that there’s a problem.

#4870 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I hope they have accurate data. If someone is denied a new play field from QC manager does that game still get tallied into the equation? County I live in is urging healthy people to get COVID tested to bring down the percentages so they can get approval to open up. New math...tweak the percentages and hide that there’s a true threat.
So I think it’s bigger than JJP or Mirco realize, or at least it used to, the washer is a step in the right direction as they are at least acknowledging there’s a problem. Now that they’ve acknowledged it, let’s see how long it takes for them to resolve it.
EDIT: that’s why it’s good that threads and forums like ours don’t go away, proof that there’s a problem.

who knows if its really accurate or not, but I am sure they have data on how many play fields they've replaced. Theres no doubt JJP knows Mirco is a big problem, but its probably an even bigger problem to solve as his quality is all over the map, and finding a replacement that can deliver the kind of volume and quality probably isn't out there.

#4871 3 years ago

I’m telling you guys the reason for the chipping isn’t the clear, it is the ink itself. I have no idea if it has to do with the fact that the PFs aren’t screen printed anymore or not but you can put whatever kind of protectors you want on them they are still going to chip eventually. Remember the pic of the WOZ that had almost all the ink chipped off around the pops.

#4872 3 years ago

I'm not convinced its all to do with pooling either......
My IMDN is pooled like tsunami around the posts but its rock hard.
The ball does not make contact with the pooled area, just the posts..... i've looked carefully and simulated the ball strikes. I have played the hell out of my IMDN.
It has not chipped........ so there's something else going on too.

#4873 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:Is it just me or should JJP find a better solution to playfields than keep going back to Mirco.

#4874 3 years ago

There is no one els for them to go to.

#4875 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I’m telling you guys the reason for the chipping isn’t the clear, it is the ink itself. I have no idea if it has to do with the fact that the PFs aren’t screen printed anymore or not but you can put whatever kind of protectors you want on them they are still going to chip eventually. Remember the pic of the WOZ that had almost all the ink chipped off around the pops.

I totally agree with this. There is something in the ink that is not liking the clear being put over it. Why haven't they gone the route like Stern and do the circle of wood where the post goes with out the art. It seems to have helped them.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4876 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

That TOTALLY sucks. I'm sure JJP will do their best to find a solution soon.[quoted image]

That's hilarious and sad at the same time. Seeing those large washers being installed from the factory is JJP admitting there is a playfield defect and that the issue is not resolved. I could understand doing that with Pirates as it was the first time JJP encountered the issue but that was back in late 2018 / early 2019. This issue should be fixed by now!

There's no way in hell I'm dropping $9,500 on an LE right now with JJP shipping at least some GNR's with defective playfields. That's too much of a gamble and I'll instead reevaluate after 6 months.

#4877 3 years ago

My Wonka is chipping so here was my solution.

I just play it!!!

GNR LE on order if this one chips? Well?

I'll just play it!!!

However if another awesome JJP pinball machine comes out?

I'll just buy it!!!

#4878 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

I just play it!!!
I'll just play it!!!
I'll just buy it!!!

They fucking love you.

#4879 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

I just play it!!!
I'll just play it!!!
I'll just buy it!!!

Did you notify JJP when your Wonka started chipping?

#4880 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Did you notify JJP when your Wonka started chipping?

Yes.

They are sending un populated playfield.

#4881 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

They fucking love you.

Probably not as much as I Love them.

#4883 3 years ago

Sending an unpopulated playfield is a slap in the face to receiving a pin with a defective playfield. What a joke. Screw these pin companies. You guys are being taken for a ride.

#4884 3 years ago

Short post!!!!

#4885 3 years ago

They should send populated PF.

It's a wonder they don't leave blank wood around the posts.
no one would complain if they leave it blank (it's not like someone would only buy a pin if it has art all the way around the posts), now they are putting washers over the art, wouldn't it look better with unpainted wood there?

#4886 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

They should send populated PF.
It's a wonder they don't leave blank wood around the posts.
no one would complain if they leave it blank (it's not like someone would only buy a pin if it has art all the way around the posts), now they are putting washers over the art, wouldn't it look better with unpainted wood there?

I’m telling you it has nothing to do with the posts. Posts are just a starting point. Soon the ink will be chipping off around the pops and where the ball makes a divot.

#4887 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I’m telling you it has nothing to do with the posts. Posts are just a starting point. Soon the ink will be chipping off around the pops and where the ball makes a divot.

History doesn’t show that. This has been going on for years.

#4888 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Ummm. Or not.

#4889 3 years ago

The play field problems started with DI. Woz had an issue in pops first run, but got fixed eventually after LE run was done. My RR woz and hobbit are perfect after many years and plays. Wonder what happened after hobbit.

#4890 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

The play field problems started with DI. Woz had an issue in pops first run, but got fixed eventually after LE run was done. My RR woz and hobbit are perfect after many years and plays. Wonder what happened after hobbit.

My DI is perfect but also a later run

#4891 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

DI had a bit of a brittle issue but no pooling or anything. Pooling started with some POTC.

#4892 3 years ago

DI had a bit of a brittle issue but no pooling or anything. Pooling started with some POTC.

From what I remember it was the vuks or SIM card area correct?

#4893 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

From what I remember it was the vuks or SIM card area correct?

Sim area has a weird design cutout and cld possibly chip without mylar or cliffys. Other than that di has a great clear coat. My dile with a ton of plays has held up great and hardly has any dimples also. I had a earlier one and played without any protectors for a few hundred plays and it was fine. I went ahead and added mylar and cliffys just for piece of mind.

#4894 3 years ago

I wonder what event triggers the playfield clearcoat to fail? In other words, at what point does the playfield show outward signs it is bad? If there was an event identified it could be tested in the lab. So that when Mirco ran a batch of 50 playfields, it would have to pull and test 2 playfields. If either failed, the whole batch of playfields would be scrapped at Mirco’s cost. A motivation to get the process right.

So if there was a way to prevent bad playfields from being installed in a game by sampling / testing batches of playfields, it would be a win. The events themselves do not cause the problem, they only serve as canaries in the coal mine to indicate when not to use a perfectly good looking playfield because it would presumable fail shortly.

Some possible events that may correlate with failed playfield conditions:
A) thirty days after clearcoat is applied and it sits on rack.
B) high humidity for the week of manufacturing.
C) within days of assembly as it sits in the shipping box.
D) within days of opening game and exposing it to fresh air.
E) within playing 25 games.
F) and within days or playing of 250 games.

#4895 3 years ago

The clearcoats are way too thick. I‘ll bet if you compare the clearcoat layer thicknesses with the recommendations of the clearcoat manufacturers, this will become apparent. Paint layers which are too thick become unstable, they crack, etc. The clearcoat can pull the color off with it - just depends if the adhesion is better with the clear or the layers below. Automakers check this among other things with the „stone chip“ test. So why thick clearcoats? - because they‘re pretty. They look like glass. Let‘s face it - we pinheads have very high expectations when it comes to our games being pretty - whether it‘s playfields, cabinets, backboxes, etc.

One could apply the clear in multiple layers - maybe even polish/buff in between - but that‘s very expensive.

#4896 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

The clearcoats are way too thick. I‘ll bet if you compare the clearcoat layer thicknesses with the recommendations of the clearcoat manufacturers, this will become apparent. Paint layers which are too thick become unstable, they crack, etc. The clearcoat can pull the color off with it - just depends if the adhesion is better with the clear or the layers below. Automakers check this among other things with the „stone chip“ test. So why thick clearcoats? - because they‘re pretty. They look like glass. Let‘s face it - we pinheads have very high expectations when it comes to our games being pretty - whether it‘s playfields, cabinets, backboxes, etc.
One could apply the clear in multiple layers - maybe even polish/buff in between - but that‘s very expensive.

I hate using the automobile comparison but when paint and clear is applied at the factory it’s done quite differently from say a bodyshop.
They apply using a static electrical charge - very minimal coat of paint and clear
- Better adhesion of paint and clear
- Reduces costs
- Minimum chipping of paint - stone chips etc....

Now most who has had their vehicle in for a respray at a auto bodyshop know this.
When they apply the paint and clear they cannot get the same factory fine application.

The paint and clear is applied much thicker.
It actually looks really good when you get it back.
I know this first hand.
I had a brand new vehicle that had all the panels damaged through hail storm.
Rather than have the vehicle insurance written off....
I had the approved garage, replace the panels with new panels and had them resprayed at the approved bodyshop.
Looked a million dollars when finished in pearlescent white
Deeper, glossier than a factory finish......
But...... when you got a stone ship on the bonnet! Boy did it chip!
That’s the difference, the thicker, deeper the paint and clear, the bigger the chip compared to the thin factory finish.
Any professional body resprayed expert will tell you this is normally the case.
So when buying a used vehicle, big chips on the hood are indicative of a respray.
Small chips = factory finish.

#4897 3 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

I hate using the automobile comparison but when paint and clear is applied at the factory it’s done quite differently from say a bodyshop.
They apply using a static electrical charge - very minimal coat of paint and clear
- Better adhesion of paint and clear
- Reduces costs
- Minimum chipping of paint - stone chips etc....
Now most who has had their vehicle in for a respray at a auto bodyshop know this.
When they apply the paint and clear they cannot get the same factory fine application.
The paint and clear is applied much thicker.
It actually looks really good when you get it back.
I know this first hand.
I had a brand new vehicle that had all the panels damaged through hail storm.
Rather than have the vehicle insurance written off....
I had the approved garage, replace the panels with new panels and had them resprayed at the approved bodyshop.
Looked a million dollars when finished in pearlescent white
Deeper, glossier than a factory finish......
But...... when you got a stone ship on the bonnet! Boy did it chip!
That’s the difference, the thicker, deeper the paint and clear, the bigger the chip compared to the thin factory finish.
Any professional body resprayed expert will tell you this is normally the case.
So when buying a used vehicle, big chips on the hood are indicative of a respray.
Small chips = factory finish.

Not sure I agree with the analiogy. I just used a body shop for a Honda pilot and they have rave reviews around our area. They applied what looked to be a perfect match, same paint and clear as factory. It can be done, I paid a little more than I would have at Joe Shmoe down the road.

#4898 3 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

i have some suggestions for branding these playfields.
how about "suspect-rum" playfields,
or "we dont inspect-em" playfields,
or perhaps "wrecked-em" playfields.
i think we should just call them "rectum" playfields,
because anyone who gets one is surely taking it up the ass.

"We Don't Inspect-em" sounds great !

**He's right - They aren't SPECTRUM lol....

#4899 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Not sure I agree with the analiogy. I just used a body shop for a Honda pilot and they have rave reviews around our area. They applied what looked to be a perfect match, same paint and clear as factory. It can be done, I paid a little more than I would have at Joe Shmoe down the road.

Stages, techniques and the application process is completely different no matter where you go outside the factory.
Robots at factory vs Human at body shop.
They don't strip your vehicle back down to bare ass and put it back on the assembly line and apply voltage, it just doesn't happen.
The techniques are very different, as is the outcome.

Edit: I'm extremely happy with the finish of the car re-spray job they did for my wife's car that got hail damage. Very professional It looks mint, but I know the finish at the front will be more susceptible to chipping for sure. They are working within the confines of the technology available outside of the factory.

#4900 3 years ago

Over half the games out there have chipping or polling WTF

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendora, CA
$ 11,000.00
Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 210.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 111.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-hype/page/98?hl=dantesmark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.