pasted_image (resized).png
F794FF18-624F-407D-88C7-4BF7B927090B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20210308_033402 (resized).jpg
E2B32D93-9D97-4596-8CF1-D142182A1729 (resized).jpeg
4ACDB43A-DE59-440E-95AE-6EC6AAB858AD (resized).jpeg
01425449-AD0E-4C9A-9D33-993990E99DA9 (resized).jpeg
94EBEBB2-873B-4681-8F33-DA633660CBC2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 111.
#3301 3 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

And here come the clear coat issues....again
[quoted image]

Where is this pin located?

#3302 3 years ago

Blue moon in Madison,WI

Quoted from romulusx:

Where is this pin located?

#3303 3 years ago

obviously music taste will be a factor -- but for those who have played this so far, and other music pins -- how does this rate?

namely, compared to Metallica, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Maiden....

#3304 3 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

obviously music taste will be a factor -- but for those who have played this so far, and other music pins -- how does this rate?
namely, compared to Metallica, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Maiden....

Like all those for music, hows the game play is most important to me

#3305 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Who needs a Soundbar for a topper .
Get one of those GNR toppers , connect a subwoofer and a couple of these lights ( or similar ).and you're good to go .

Ha! I did this on my AC/DC!

#3306 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Ok... how did you tie those into the game?

#3307 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Ok... how did you tie those into the game?

These cheap Chinese stage lights have a preset slow movement pattern with an option for sound-activated fast movement patterns. So I hacked the mic input and used a flasher signal to trigger it with a simple opto-coupler interface board that I built. The two moving heads are slaved together with the DMX cable.

#3308 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

In addition to how awesome the lights are, it looks like there’s smoke plus you added shoot to thrill??!

That looks amazeballs

#3309 3 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

In addition to how awesome the lights are, it looks like there’s smoke plus you added shoot to thrill??!
That looks amazeballs

Thanks. I never tied the fog machine into the game. The fog just made the lights look cooler.

Pinball browser for Shoot to Thrill.

I also added backbox, under cabinet, over cabinet, and behind backbox flashers.

#3310 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Thanks. I never tied the fog machine into the game. The fog just made the lights look cooler.
Pinball browser for Shoot to Thrill.
I also added backbox, under cabinet, over cabinet, and behind backbox flashers.

Damn, cant wait to see what crazy shit you will do to GnR. Badass acdc!

#3311 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Dude you are my hero!Not only for that but for your super almost impossible to find Creature topper!
And I love the Boston poster I saw them live twice in 1976,Brad Delp could actually hit those high notes

#3312 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

These cheap Chinese stage lights have a preset slow movement pattern with an option for sound-activated fast movement patterns. So I hacked the mic input and used a flasher signal to trigger it with a simple opto-coupler interface board that I built. The two moving heads are slaved together with the DMX cable.

Let me guess, you also difused a nuclear bomb with a tampon and a paper clip?

Nice work

#3313 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Dude you are my hero!Not only for that but for your super almost impossible to find Creature topper!
And I love the Boston poster I saw them live twice in 1976,Brad Delp could actually hit those high notes

So kind!

Have you seen my dancing Caddyshack gopher topper on my NGG?

#3314 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

[quoted image]
You have GOT to be kidding me. Seriously???

I'm not sure if that is an issue or not but regardless I wouldn't buy any new game for a few months. For today's crazy NIB prices let the earlier adopters deal with initial production issues.

#3315 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm not sure if that is an issue or not but regardless I wouldn't buy any new game for a few months. For today's crazy NIB prices let the earlier adopters deal with initial production issues.

Well the bigger issue that maybe they wont be able to fix them, given they had pf problems on previous pins. Hope this is just a one-off!

#3316 3 years ago

I got to spend a couple uninterrupted hours playing an LE at the Blue Moon bar and grill in Madison, WI an figured I had enough time to put up an early review.

I'll start with the how the game looks. Overall the game looks amazing and fits the theme perfectly.

Backglass art - Much of the backglass is covered by the LCD but the artwork that's there looks awesome and fits the theme well. 10/10

Cabinet art - I really dig the color of red they chose for the trim and love seeing all of the unique touring lithos. 10/10
playfield art - JJP finally has a kickass artist on staff. I love the hand drawn art and thought it was brilliant to represent the band members as skeletons. 10/10

Display animations - This may be the best looking display work yet on a JJP game. The fact that they were able to sync up the modern day concert footage with the original tracks is pretty incredible. 10/10

Playfield layout - I think the layout fits a music pin well. I didn’t think I would like having a scoop in the center, but I actually don’t mind it. The game has pretty good flow and it makes sense to have smooth orbits (like Hobbit) and wider ramp shots on a music pin so that you can jam out to it while you play. It wouldn't make sense to have bash toys or tons of targets on a music pin like this. the key is to have smooth and medium speed flow that you can rock out to. The game isn’t a precision shooter but is a game where you just need to get flow going and rock out while building up your song times. I wouldn't say the layout is amazing with a mix of easy and tough shots like some of KME's layouts like AIQ or JP2, but I don't think those types of layouts would necessarily fit this type of game well. I also really like how the upper playfields are implemented as they are challenging and fun to hit the available shots and look incredible. 8/10

Game rules – to me the game kind of feels like a modern day ACDC with a rule-set that heavily favors pushing your luck and high risk/reward on song jackpots. I think it may be a bit heavy on the multi-balls as it seems you are in multi-ball play far more than single ball play. Scoring seems heavily dependent on the ability to shoot balls up the left ramp and lock balls on the guitar neck, something that can be difficult if you don’t boost your flipper strength from factory settings. Flippers feel a bit mushy and underpowered at factory settings and it can be challenging (especially in multi-ball) to lock balls as it requires clean shots. Other aspects of the rule-set such as “travel” and “patches” are still a bit unclear to me at this time. I would also like to see a more dedicated purpose for the upper-right flipper loop shot. Currently it appears it can be used to travel or help advance through songs, but doesn’t really seem critical to the game’s rule-set at this point. I’m a big fan of games where upper flippers have a lot of importance for things like super jackpots but on this game it seems that most of the big jackpots are cashed in at the center scoop. 7/10 but I realize that code will be improved over time so this will likely go up.

Toys/Gimmicks – The Slash top hat spinner is well implemented but I think most of the BOM on this game went into the lighting and display. The upper playfields are well designed and implemented. 8/10

This game scores a 10/10 for me in all sound and lighting categories. It truly feels like it is bringing the concert experience home and does sound and lighting better than all other games. The game shines in these regards! I did think the hot rails were slightly less impressive (more muted) in person than they appear on video, but they are implemented nicely and add a really cool effect.

Theming – They 100% nailed this theme. It really helps having Slash on-board and unlimited access to assets. Having 21+ songs is incredible for a music pin. If you are a big fan of GNR and have the means I think you owe it to yourself to buy this game! 10/10

Last ability – I think if you’re a big GNR fan the game should have a ton of lastability with all of the content. Since the rules are done by Keefer and Joe Katz I’m sure there will also be plenty of depth to keep you interested in owning the game a long time. On the other hand if you aren’t a big fan of GNR I could see the theming and assets being a detriment. I know I wouldn’t be interested in this game if it were themed after KISS or Iron Maiden and the amount of video assets would be a turn-off for me. I love the Stern Maiden game because of the layout and because they went a different route with the theme (Eddie adventures) vs. tying it to concerts and touring and typical band stuff. If you’re a GNR fan I’d say this is a 10/10 for lastability. If watching modern day Axl parade around on stage for hours on end gives you cause for concern, then this might not be the game for you. If you aren’t a big fan of the band then I’d give it a 6/10 for lastability.

Fun Factor - If you are a fan of GNR it is really fun to bring the concert home with you. The push your luck rule-set is also fun. I don’t think there are any other games that offer this “concert” experience quite like GNR. I think what this game does for music themed pinballs is comparable to what ACDC did back in 2012. Before ACDC we were subject to concert pins like Rolling Stones and ACDC really upped the ante in terms of adding improved lighting and sound and gameplay excitement (risk/reward) to the pinball landscape. I think GNR exceeds ACDC in almost all areas including lighting, sound, video, and especially artwork but there are a couple of areas where I feel where GNR is lacking. The first is that the game is missing a truly satisfying shot. On ACDC this would be the bell shot, which just feels awesome to hit. GNR is a good shooter and flows pretty well, but is missing that magical truly-satisfying shot. The other area where I think ACDC bests GNR is in adrenaline pumping moments. Having a huge song jackpot lined up with a 3X PF multiplier and firing that cannon is such a rush. GNR also has the ability to build up huge jackpots, but it is more anti-climatic when you simply shoot an easy to hit scoop to cash it in. 8.5/10

Overall – I think the game is a grand slam for JJP and does many things better than any game in history. If you love GNR the band you should be absolutely ecstatic with how it turned out. The game is fun to shoot and has tons of content and deep rules and the best visual/audio experience in pinball. I do think it might be a tad overhyped as it’s not going to make other pinball machines obsolete or less fun to play. I don’t know that I would want the pin as an only modern game in my collection (I would prefer a Stern precision shooting game like JP2 if that were the case) but if you have a few other pins already I think it would complement them nicely and add some diversity and a unique type of pinball experience to your line-up. I know I plan to pick one up when the time is right. 9/10

#3317 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I got to spend a couple uninterrupted hours playing an LE at the Blue Moon bar and grill in Madison, WI an figured I had enough time to put up an early review.
I'll start with the how the game looks. Overall the game looks amazing and fits the theme perfectly.
Backglass art - Much of the backglass is covered by the LCD but the artwork that's there looks awesome and fits the theme well. 10/10
Cabinet art - I really dig the color of red they chose for the trim and love seeing all of the unique touring lithos. 10/10
playfield art - JJP finally has a kickass artist on staff. I love the hand drawn art and thought it was brilliant to represent the band members as skeletons. 10/10
Display animations - This may be the best looking display work yet on a JJP game. The fact that they were able to sync up the modern day concert footage with the original tracks is pretty incredible. 10/10
Playfield layout - I think the layout fits a music pin well. I didn’t think I would like having a scoop in the center, but I actually don’t mind it. The game has pretty good flow and it makes sense to have smooth orbits (like Hobbit) and wider ramp shots on a music pin so that you can jam out to it while you play. It wouldn't make sense to have bash toys or tons of targets on a music pin like this. the key is to have smooth and medium speed flow that you can rock out to. The game isn’t a precision shooter but is a game where you just need to get flow going and rock out while building up your song times. I wouldn't say the layout is amazing with a mix of easy and tough shots like some of KME's layouts like AIQ or JP2, but I don't think those types of layouts would necessarily fit this type of game well. I also really like how the upper playfields are implemented as they are challenging and fun to hit the available shots and look incredible. 8/10
Game rules – to me the game kind of feels like a modern day ACDC with a rule-set that heavily favors pushing your luck and high risk/reward on song jackpots. I think it may be a bit heavy on the multi-balls as it seems you are in multi-ball play far more than single ball play. Scoring seems heavily dependent on the ability to shoot balls up the left ramp and lock balls on the guitar neck, something that can be difficult if you don’t boost your flipper strength from factory settings. Flippers feel a bit mushy and underpowered at factory settings and it can be challenging (especially in multi-ball) to lock balls as it requires clean shots. Other aspects of the rule-set such as “travel” and “patches” are still a bit unclear to me at this time. I would also like to see a more dedicated purpose for the upper-right flipper loop shot. Currently it appears it can be used to travel or help advance through songs, but doesn’t really seem critical to the game’s rule-set at this point. I’m a big fan of games where upper flippers have a lot of importance for things like super jackpots but on this game it seems that most of the big jackpots are cashed in at the center scoop. 7/10 but I realize that code will be improved over time so this will likely go up.
Toys/Gimmicks – The Slash top hat spinner is well implemented but I think most of the BOM on this game went into the lighting and display. The upper playfields are well designed and implemented. 8/10
This game scores a 10/10 for me in all sound and lighting categories. It truly feels like it is bringing the concert experience home and does sound and lighting better than all other games. The game shines in these regards! I did think the hot rails were slightly less impressive (more muted) in person than they appear on video, but they are implemented nicely and add a really cool effect.
Theming – They 100% nailed this theme. It really helps having Slash on-board and unlimited access to assets. Having 21+ songs is incredible for a music pin. If you are a big fan of GNR and have the means I think you owe it to yourself to buy this game! 10/10
Last ability – I think if you’re a big GNR fan the game should have a ton of lastability with all of the content. Since the rules are done by Keefer and Joe Katz I’m sure there will also be plenty of depth to keep you interested in owning the game a long time. On the other hand if you aren’t a big fan of GNR I could see the theming and assets being a detriment. I know I wouldn’t be interested in this game if it were themed after KISS or Iron Maiden and the amount of video assets would be a turn-off for me. I love the Stern Maiden game because of the layout and because they went a different route with the theme (Eddie adventures) vs. tying it to concerts and touring and typical band stuff. If you’re a GNR fan I’d say this is a 10/10 for lastability. If watching modern day Axl parade around on stage for hours on end gives you cause for concern, then this might not be the game for you. If you aren’t a big fan of the band then I’d give it a 6/10 for lastability.
Fun Factor - If you are a fan of GNR it is really fun to bring the concert home with you. The push your luck rule-set is also fun. I don’t think there are any other games that offer this “concert” experience quite like GNR. I think what this game does for music themed pinballs is comparable to what ACDC did back in 2012. Before ACDC we were subject to concert pins like Rolling Stones and ACDC really upped the ante in terms of adding improved lighting and sound and gameplay excitement (risk/reward) to the pinball landscape. I think GNR exceeds ACDC in almost all areas including lighting, sound, video, and especially artwork but there are a couple of areas where I feel where GNR is lacking. The first is that the game is missing a truly satisfying shot. On ACDC this would be the bell shot, which just feels awesome to hit. GNR is a good shooter and flows pretty well, but is missing that magical truly-satisfying shot. The other area where I think ACDC bests GNR is in adrenaline pumping moments. Having a huge song jackpot lined up with a 3X PF multiplier and firing that cannon is such a rush. GNR also has the ability to build up huge jackpots, but it is more anti-climatic when you simply shoot an easy to hit scoop to cash it in. 8.5/10
Overall – I think the game is a grand slam for JJP and does many things better than any game in history. If you love GNR the band you should be absolutely ecstatic with how it turned out. The game is fun to shoot and has tons of content and deep rules and the best visual/audio experience in pinball. I do think it might be a tad overhyped as it’s not going to make other pinball machines obsolete or less fun to play. I don’t know that I would want the pin as an only modern game in my collection (I would prefer a Stern precision shooting game like JP2 if that were the case) but if you have a few other pins already I think it would complement them nicely and add some diversity and a unique type of pinball experience to your line-up. I know I plan to pick one up when the time is right. 9/10

Thanks for posting this.

#3318 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'll start with the how the game looks.

Thanks for the thoughtful, balanced review.

#3319 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I’m not in the Avengers thread bashing it like I could.

Maybe u should.

New game gets released, voice ur opinion. Shout it out sir. Get on that soapbox and preach, tell everyone how disappointed u are. Thats the best part of being on pinside isn't it? What do u want just a JJP thread where everyone sucks each others corks and unless its a positive comment don't mention it at all? That sounds like a fuckin nightmare, boring and tedious. Anyway. This is the announcement and first impressions thread, if dickheads go into the owners thread then I have to agree with u.

#3320 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

My thing is if you don’t like GNR and don’t plan on getting it, move on. Don’t ruin it for those who are excited. I’m not in the Avengers thread bashing it like I could. I’m not getting Avengers so I’m not there.

You post this on a GnR discussion thread.

But you posted this on a Rick and Morty thread.

What’s the deal? Can we or can’t we post our thoughts good or bad on pinball machine we don’t own?

4C0847C7-04FF-4145-952B-172C04A1C719 (resized).png4C0847C7-04FF-4145-952B-172C04A1C719 (resized).png

#3321 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

So kind!
Have you seen my dancing Caddyshack gopher topper on my NGG?

I’ve seen the store bought,I use to have a NGG!

#3322 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You post this on a GnR discussion thread.
But you posted this on a Rick and Morty thread.
What’s the deal? Can we or can’t we post our thoughts good or bad on pinball machine we don’t own?
[quoted image]

This

#3323 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Maybe u should.
New game gets released, voice ur opinion. Shout it out sir. Get on that soapbox and preach, tell everyone how disappointed u are. Thats the best part of being on pinside isn't it? What do u want just a JJP thread where everyone sucks each others corks and unless its a positive comment don't mention it at all? That sounds like a fuckin nightmare, boring and tedious. Anyway. This is the announcement and first impressions thread, if dickheads go into the owners thread then I have to agree with u.

#3324 3 years ago

Just double checked the massive playfield disaster. Had to zoom in to 5x to see the totally wrecked playfield. Totally returning this junk box!

Don't think I need a sarcasm tag. GnR is amazing and I am in no way worried about the playfield clear falling apart! Cheers friends!

MVIMG_20201014_135905 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20201014_135905 (resized).jpg
#3325 3 years ago
Quoted from kettchxxii:

Just double checked the massive playfield disaster. Had to zoom in to 5x to see the totally wrecked playfield. Totally returning this junk box!
Don't think I need a sarcasm tag. GnR is amazing and I am in no way worried about the playfield clear falling apart! Cheers friends!
[quoted image]

Dude. There's a small scrape on that metal post.

My professional opinion is that you're totally f***ed

#3326 3 years ago

These look like reflections of the sling rubber and the post grommet the rubber sits in reflecting down the post to me, I know your post was sarcastic, I'm just saying for the people that think they are seeing clear issues, same thing with that other pic someone posted...looks fine to me...it's even the same color blue reflection from the lighting...if it was a clear separation, it would stand in contrast with a more white opaque color...
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#3327 3 years ago

Just so everyone knows, I have no agenda, I own JJP games, Spooky games, and Stern games....I also had a Wonka and a JP with crap playfields on them, so perhaps I’m a little more cautious....all I can say is that clear coat is 100% lifting from the art around that post, and that game isn’t even a week old.....it’s not gonna get better, it’s only gonna get worse before it finally chips.

Quoted from kettchxxii:

[quoted image]

#3328 3 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

Just so everyone knows, I have no agenda, I own JJP games, Spooky games, and Stern games....I also had a Wonka and a JP with crap playfields on them, so perhaps I’m a little more cautious....all I can say is that clear coat is 100% lifting from the art around that post, and that game isn’t even a week old.....it’s not gonna get better, it’s only gonna get worse before it finally chips.

You've said it first. Thanks for the heads-up.

As always, time will tell.

#3329 3 years ago

Porn

121652667_3807087625976472_3770090130473379159_o (resized).jpg121652667_3807087625976472_3770090130473379159_o (resized).jpg
#3330 3 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

I get it. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus either. When you put your babies out for total strangers to beat on you end up with a different perspective. It sucks that these toys don't show up perfect and/or stay that way, but that's kind of what you sign up for. These games should be played and enjoyed! We route and rent so our friends and neighbors have something to play and enjoy.

PS: Was great to see you this week Mike!

#3331 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

That is awesome! Don't suppose you'd want to a start a thread on how we can do this?

#3332 3 years ago

Was excited all week, every day, to get back and play since last Tuesday!

Got maybe 5 or 6 games in last night, and the shots don't sit well with me...still. I only had maybe 3-4 games max last week, and hoped settings were off, or things needed tweaked, but I left last week being so wowed by the game.

Today, after playing again yesterday, I just sadly ended up feeling I love the veneer, the lights, sound, theme integration, animation, so so much, but the shots don't feel regular, pleasing or friendly.

I really wish I didn't feel this way, but from one week ago on first exposure, to feeling largely apathetic after a week away, and more games, just doesn't feel good.

I feel like the left third of the game is so dominated by the added elements on the LE, and not in a pleasing way. I wish more space was opened up, for more or smoother shots, but that ramp, the upper playfield, and the wireforms for the bass just don't justify the massive real estate I feel they take up on the game.

I also feel the disc is an added on "mech" tacked on, not fun to shoot, (coupled with a somewhat frustrating center scoop) more interfering in a game that has many interfering shot possibilities. It feels like it's there in lieu of more game engaging mechs or subways.

I also feel the loop from the upper right flipper isn't nearly as makeable as POTC's upper loop or JP2's or the Avenger chode ramp even.

I just wish the core of this game was laid out differently, as the exterior and assets and theme integration is unparalleled. But shooting it, so far, hasn't been much fun for me at all.

Also, regarding the discussion of MB. For me, the frequency doesn't bug me so much, more that with 5 or 6 balls being tossed at you, and the shots being somewhat brickable here and there, the frenzy of MB had me more juggling balls down at the flippers, more than smoothly completing shots.

I'm not a fantastic player by any means, but this is definitely the gnarliest JJP game I feel I've played, shooting wise.

Code is so damn good too....

I wonder will this game will be 6 months from now, in the public's eye.

#3333 3 years ago

I’ll probably be back again tonight to play some more....where else can you play GNR and an Avengers LE! I love the place.

Quoted from kettchxxii:

I get it. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus either. When you put your babies out for total strangers to beat on you end up with a different perspective. It sucks that these toys don't show up perfect and/or stay that way, but that's kind of what you sign up for. These games should be played and enjoyed! We route and rent so our friends and neighbors have something to play and enjoy.
PS: Was great to see you this week Mike!

#3334 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Got maybe 5 or 6 games in last night, and the shots don't sit well with me...still. I only had maybe 3-4 games max last week, and hoped settings were off, or things needed tweaked, but I left last week being so wowed by the game.
Today, after playing again yesterday, I just sadly ended up feeling I love the veneer, the lights, sound, theme integration, animation, so so much, but the shots don't feel regular, pleasing or friendly.
I really wish I didn't feel this way, but from one week ago on first exposure, to feeling largely apathetic after a week away, and more games, just doesn't feel good.
I feel like the left third of the game is so dominated by the added elements on the LE, and not in a pleasing way. I wish more space was opened up, for more or smoother shots, but that ramp, the upper playfield, and the wireforms for the bass just don't justify the massive real estate I feel they take up on the game.
I also feel the disc is an added on "mech" tacked on, not fun to shoot, (coupled with a somewhat frustrating center scoop) more interfering in a game that has many interfering shot possibilities. It feels like it's there in lieu of more game engaging mechs or subways.
I also feel the loop from the upper right flipper isn't nearly as makeable as POTC's upper loop or JP2's or the Avenger chode ramp even.
I just wish the core of this game was laid out differently, as the exterior and assets and theme integration is unparalleled. But shooting it, so far, hasn't been much fun for me at all.
Also, regarding the discussion of MB. For me, the frequency doesn't bug me so much, more that with 5 or 6 balls being tossed at you, and the shots being somewhat brickable here and there, the frenzy of MB had me more juggling balls down at the flippers, more than smoothly completing shots.
I'm not a fantastic player by any means, but this is definitely the gnarliest JJP game I feel I've played, shooting wise.

You had such glowing reviews initially, it’s not surprising that a second visit maybe didn’t live up to the hype.
Give it some time and more plays. See if you improve on some of the shots and watch the game improve its flow.
I think at the end of the day, most will agree that this layout is not “game of the year” material, but that the other aspects of it most certainly are, and overall it’s probably a really fun game for both home and location.
The initial release gameplay showed a near endless multiball thing with way too many add a balls and ball save timer.
I’ve watch quite a few more videos and it doesn’t seem nearly as common.
Personally, I’m much more optimistic on the game overall. I love music pins and I can’t see this one being the exception.
Can’t wait to play it.

#3335 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That is awesome! Don't suppose you'd want to a start a thread on how we can do this?

Don’t think we’re going to need more lighting on GnR?

#3336 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Don’t think we’re going to need more lighting on GnR?

Bite your tongue. My goal is to get a tan while playing.

#3337 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Porn
[quoted image]

Is that Jack G.?Where the hell has he been,looks like he has gained some quarantine lbs.

#3338 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Is that Jack G.?Where the hell has he been,looks like he has gained some quarantine lbs.

No, that's someone named Bill Connelly, doing final inspections on the games. (source: facebook)

#3339 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Bite your tongue. My goal is to get a tan while playing.

I want people in my front yard to see this game that’s in my basement.

#3340 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You had such glowing reviews initially, it’s not surprising that a second visit maybe didn’t live up to the hype.
Give it some time and more plays. See if you improve on some of the shots and watch the game improve its flow.
I think at the end of the day, most will agree that this layout is not “game of the year” material, but that the other aspects of it most certainly are, and overall it’s probably a really fun game for both home and location.
The initial release gameplay showed a near endless multiball thing with way too many add a balls and ball save timer.
I’ve watch quite a few more videos and it doesn’t seem nearly as common.
Personally, I’m much more optimistic on the game overall. I love music pins and I can’t see this one being the exception.
Can’t wait to play it.

No reason not to be optimistic! Games need time to be well setup, optimized, and the player to get a feel for shots, code, etc.

The only reason any of us needs to be set in stone, on how we view games, is when we buy and own them. Then it's really tough to accept things you might want to overlook.

For me, I have time for sure to let the game grow on me, play it at different locations, and also play the SE. My hype definitely dropped, and that's okay. I'd rather it drop, and learn to kind of play the game for how the game is, not how I hoped it to be.

Oddly, first time I was exposed to Pirates, I really didn't feel much towards it. But after streams, understanding rules more, and getting more playtime I decided I wanted to own it. Definitely my favorite pin of the modern gen!

Conversely, this game felt so dynamic upfront, and now a bit unfriendly. Over time, that may soften for me, but I definitely don't feel the urgent desire to rush out and play it again, like I did every day since last week.

Funny enough. JP2 was clicking with me most yesterday, and that game has taken time to grow on me. Such is life!

#3341 3 years ago

Is there a list of cities you travel to in the game? Do they match up 1-for-1 with the concert posters on the LE cabinet? Does the concert footage on the LCD change for the same song if you are playing in a different city? Absolutely in love with the theme and artwork. Can't wait to flip one in person!

#3342 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Sure. It might take me a bit to pull everything together as it has been several years, but I’ll get it posted.

#3343 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

The game's layout definitely feels like a complete change-up from what we've been seeing recently in other pinball machines. Stern games of late have had wide open playfields where most of the action is at the top of the playfield and the action has been fast and full of flow. Wonka also had a wide open flow layout. GNR by contrast feels a bit closed off and most of the action is in the bottom half of the playfield vs. the top. I think it's good to have diversity but it's not in everyone's comfort zone (myself included). I generally prefer the speed and flow and flipper feel of Stern games to JJP but sometimes it's nice when a game comes along that feels and plays differently. The more closed off playfield does make MB a bit more difficult and as a result I think that helps keep ball times lower. I don't think a Wonka or DI type layout would work as well on this game. You can get some good flow going on GNR but it does take more work to get it going. I feel the layout is balanced for the MB heavy rule-set. If this game had the Wonka layout game times would be incredibly long. I do think that JJP needs to turn up the lower right flipper power a couple notches to help with the left ramp/upper playfield shot. It's make-able but can get frustrating to have weaker shots not clear mini playfield flipper during MB. I would encourage people to play the game before ordering if you can as the game isn't going to be for everyone. I think it's important to keep expectations in check and remember that it's just a pinball machine. As an overall package, I think it's one of the better machines to be released in recent memory but it's not without its faults and it's not going to be the perfect game for everybody.

#3344 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Damn dude...that is a real close up pic. Are you talking about that microscopic chip? Doesn't seem like their is a ton of pooling around the post like the first debacle.[quoted image]

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at. Reflection?

#3345 3 years ago

No one has answered my question. Do you think this game will suffer from not having a bash toy?

#3346 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The game's layout definitely feels like a complete change-up from what we've been seeing recently in other pinball machines. Stern games of late have had wide open playfields where most of the action is at the top of the playfield and the action has been fast and full of flow. Wonka also had a wide open flow layout. GNR by contrast feels a bit closed off and most of the action is in the bottom half of the playfield vs. the top. I think it's good to have diversity but it's not in everyone's comfort zone (myself included). I generally prefer the speed and flow and flipper feel of Stern games to JJP but sometimes it's nice when a game comes along that feels and plays differently. The more closed off playfield does make MB a bit more difficult and as a result I think that helps keep ball times lower. I don't think a Wonka or DI type layout would work as well on this game. You can get some good flow going on GNR but it does take more work to get it going. I feel the layout is balanced for the MB heavy rule-set. If this game had the Wonka layout game times would be incredibly long. I do think that JJP needs to turn up the lower right flipper power a couple notches to help with the left ramp/upper playfield shot. It's make-able but can get frustrating to have weaker shots not clear mini playfield flipper during MB. I would encourage people to play the game before ordering if you can as the game isn't going to be for everyone. I think it's important to keep expectations in check and remember that it's just a pinball machine. As an overall package, I think it's one of the better machines to be released in recent memory but it's not without its faults and it's not going to be the perfect game for everybody.

Best part of JJP games is the power on every flipper is as easy as 4 button presses away in a menu to turn up as much as you please.

#3347 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

No one has answered my question. Do you think this game will suffer from not having a bash toy?

No

#3348 3 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Best part of JJP games is the power on every flipper is as easy as 4 button presses away in a menu to turn up as much as you please.

That's great when you own a game but I wish they'd turn them up from the factory so that when I play one on route or at a show they won't have soggy flippers. Its not helping their reputation any. It's been this way with every one of their games.

#3349 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

That's great when you own a game but I wish they'd turn them up from the factory so that when I play one on route or at a show they won't have soggy flippers. Its not helping their reputation any. Its this way with every one of their games.

I hear you. People who run jjps on route should already be aware of this. It’s almost irresponsible as a route owner not to put the strength up atleast 1 more like 2 on every flipper because they come weak and get weaker if heavily used.

Improper setup is a reason I personally believe most negative views of this game will occur on route. Not leveled left to right, and not turning up the power, and not jacking up the legs so it doesn’t play floaty and slow as shit.

#3350 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Porn
[quoted image]

When was this taken? Is that this week? Would be great to see if so.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 5,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 111.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-hype/page/67?hl=zukram and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.