pasted_image (resized).png
F794FF18-624F-407D-88C7-4BF7B927090B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20210308_033402 (resized).jpg
E2B32D93-9D97-4596-8CF1-D142182A1729 (resized).jpeg
4ACDB43A-DE59-440E-95AE-6EC6AAB858AD (resized).jpeg
01425449-AD0E-4C9A-9D33-993990E99DA9 (resized).jpeg
94EBEBB2-873B-4681-8F33-DA633660CBC2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 111.
#3151 3 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Light show looks amazing. Is it hard on the eyes? I've had to put different more toned down flashers in older games that I've put leds in because the flashers were blinding me.

I was very concerned about this. I can assure you, it is not the case. The hot rails are diffused lighting and they do not blind you, like say DE flashers.... yikes.

#3152 3 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

I was very concerned about this. I can assure you, it is not the case. The hot rails are diffused lighting and they do not blind you, like say DE flashers.... yikes.

Black knight 2k comes to mind. That spinning light circle in the middle blinds me and I can't even play it if the LEDs are to bright.

#3153 3 years ago

I'm liking everything I've read about GNR except for the lack of interactive toys / mechs. If we compare GNR to Dialed In or Pirates in regards to interactive mechs GNR has significantly less. Instead of putting more interactive mechs into the game I think the focus is on the lighting elements.

#3154 3 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Black knight 2k comes to mind. That spinning light circle in the middle blinds me and I can't even play it if the LEDs are to bright.

I am not saying the game doesn’t have an incredible light show with lots of stuff going on regarding lighting. It definitely has that in spades. But I, in no way found it to be blinding or to hinder my gameplay outside of me wanting to watch it instead of playing properly lol. Some of the moments in that game for different songs literally make you want to stop playing it’s so unique.

#3155 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm liking everything I've read about GNR except for the lack of interactive toys / mechs. If we compare GNR to Dialed In or Pirates in regards to interactive mechs GNR has significantly less. Instead of putting more interactive mechs into the game I think the focus is on the lighting elements.

I promise you won’t miss it. Also I think the locking neck is pretty interactive and the spinning disc is also interactive and fun. There wasn’t a point, while playing the game, I thought it lacked that “toy moment” or needed one. It has special moments out the wazoo.

#3156 3 years ago

I promise you won’t miss it. Also I think the locking neck is pretty interactive and the spinning disc is also interactive and fun. There wasn’t a point, while playing the game, I thought it lacked that “toy moment” or needed one. It has special moments out the wazoo.

I feel like the bumpers are a bit interactive with the cymbals clashing. I too was concerned with lack of toys/mechs when I first saw this game, but it seems like the game is so awesome, they you forget there really isn't one.

#3157 3 years ago

Hey all, DeathSaveArcade (DSA) here,
I owned over 60+ titles, every JJP, Every CGC , every modern Stern in the lcd era, Taf, TZ, tron, LOTR, Tna, Rick and morty, every music pin, Alien, lebowski, and the top bally Williams games. I, unlike the others, have also played the game for 8+ hours. I have won monthly pinball tournaments in nearby arcades as I am a better than average pinball player.
In my 6 years in the hobby, with all those games owned. This is the best JJP game by far and provided me a better experience than any other game in pinball I have ever played. Period.
If you think this game doesn’t have flow, or strategy, then you simply aren’t paying attention. On top of that it provides a new, innovative and unique experience that simply put, has never been given in pinball before and far exceeds any toy, any simple magic moment found in any pinball machine before it.
I played this game for 7-8 hours straight. I’ve never had more fun, I’ve never been happier with how a game shoots and frankly, if I only kept 1 machine in my collection it would be this game.
Scores below are from the pinball bash event at cointaker in PA. After 8 hours of playing, with Franchi, Dr. and Mrs. Pin and many others, I ended up with the GC for the event. The score is also after missing a cash out for nearly 9.5 million on my encore song which would have put me over 17 million.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you and very well said.
That's why I went out of my comfort zone and purchased the LE.

#3158 3 years ago

All of this is just my opinion, but with the number of games I have owned in a home setting, and my level of skill playing, I do hope that my insights help you all even if it’s in a small manner.

My experience may not ultimately end up being yours but I love games from all companies, I have owned games from just about every company and this title, seriously just blew me away. I actually think it will make a rather interesting tournament game. For home use, it’s a 10 without hesitation from m my experience.

Anyways, thanks for the kind comments and I hope the insights treat you well.

#3159 3 years ago

How did you like the art pack on the LE In person? Can you confirm if the red brick powder has any metal flake in it?

#3160 3 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

How did you like the art pack on the LE In person? Can you confirm if the red brick powder has any metal flake in it?

I really really enjoyed the art package on the LE. I may like it better than the CE actually. In person the red on the armor is not WoZ red, which I was fearful of. It’s more of a red with orange or bronze/brown to it. Brick is a good description. I actually don’t recall if it was metallic or not. My initial recollection was that it wasn’t, but I might be mistaken. The color looks really good. Additionally, the art package on it. Looks much better in person vs photos where it’s overly bright and blown out. In person it really is pretty nice.

#3161 3 years ago

I really really enjoyed the art package on the LE. I may like it better than the CE actually. In person the red on the armor is not WoZ red, which I was fearful of. It’s more of a red with orange or bronze/brown to it. Brick is a good description. I actually don’t recall if it was metallic or not. My initial recollection was that it wasn’t, but I might be mistaken. The color looks really good. Additionally, the art package on it. Looks much better in person vs photos where it’s overly bright and blown out. In person it really is pretty nice.

Thank you, your selling this to me..... after missing out on the CE I’m getting extremely close to pulling the trigger now on LE, thanks for your input

#3162 3 years ago

how was the upper PF?

#3163 3 years ago

I know the upper PF keeps getting asked about but it isn’t simply losing the upper PF with the SE.

You lose the upper PF, the Gibson slash 6 string ball lock, the fender bass wireform ramp, the vuk and you give up the best art pkg of the 3.

What else am I missing here?

To me the difference are like night and day.

#3164 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

RGB light bars and stage can lights. Those are more important to me than the upper playfields and mechs.

#3165 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Anybody else dislike the selfie picture feature? Not a deal breaker of course and I assume it can be turned off in the settings.
Does it interrupt game play?

I think with you all you would get would be the glare from the top of your head

#3166 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

how was the upper PF?

So the interesting thing about the upper of is that it’s basically 2 shots. Yes there is 3 but one is basically a non shot (under the flipper). It takes a little getting use to because right after you hit the left ramp you need to remember not to hold the right flipper otherwise the upper pf flipper will be in the way and you will keep getting it to fall into the hole. Once you get a hang of it, there are two shots. You will always gravitate towards the lock shot and to see the cool guitar head feature. It’s easy to make. The more difficult shot is the bass shot, while not really difficult per say, it’s just not immediately where your mind goes because who doesn’t wanna lock the ball? But it is essential to get the bass member.

The guitar locking head is really enjoyable to see. Its not necessarily a satisfying shot, but I will say sometimes you hit the left ramp just right and the ball goes directly up and around into the lock, and that does feel good. The bass shot is neat cause can go down different paths. Overall that shot feels like the Woz castle shot.

I personally like the addition it adds to the game. The game would be much easier on the SE because you just repeat the left ramp to get all the same stuff. Whereas on the LE and CE you gotta work to get it to the bass player or to lock a ball, beyond just hitting the ramp.

#3167 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

RGB light bars and stage can lights. Those are more important to me than the upper playfields and mechs.

Forgot about those too, I was just thinking about things kind of tied with what the upper PF brings to the table.

I agree, the lighting is kind of important and I don’t think the white hot rails is going to cut it.

I can understand the rotating stage lights being cut as they are a motorized mech but the rgb hotrails should have been included in the SE.

Not even sure if it can be upgraded either.

#3168 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Forgot about those too, I was just thinking about things kind of tied what the upper PF brings to the table.
I agree, the lighting is kind of important and I don’t think the white hot rails is going to cut it.
I can understand the rotating stage lights being cut as they are a motorized mech but the rgb hotrails should have been included in the SE.
Not even sure if it can be upgraded either.

The moving canned stage lights are really awesome. I agree on white hot rails not cutting it.

#3169 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I think with you all you would get would be the glare from the top of your head

I just don't want those pictures to distract from my, OnlyFans.com page.

#3170 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

im not typically a fan of upper playfields but the guitar ball lock looks so damn cool. I think the SE will shoot better and have more flow, but I just couldnt do without the look of the LE.

I want to play the se and I would never say that about any other game. If you have one however and asked me to play a game I would never turn you down.

#3171 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I just don't want those pictures to distract from my, OnlyFans.com page.

Never, couldn’t happen.

#3172 3 years ago

Yes the moving lights are really cool.

#3173 3 years ago
Quoted from GymRatt:

Anyone know if a sound bar topper will be available for the SE & LE from JJP? Pretty sure if JJP doesn't offer one. Someone will come up with a rockin sound system upgrade with a sound bar.

Connect it to a Bluetooth speaker, it will likely be way better than the JJP topper.

#3174 3 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Connect it to a Bluetooth speaker, it will likely be way better than the JJP topper.

I'd recommend hard wiring the sound bar or extra speakers. Keefer mentioned that there is a 1/4 second delay over bluetooth. My OCD would not be able to live with that. Personally I've not been able to get any bluetooth audio device working yet. The only "letdown" so far is bluetooth implementation. I'm guessing this can be resolved with code updates, fingers crossed.

#3175 3 years ago

Agree completely w/ @vividpsychosis. LE #315 arrived yesterday at my house (posted a few pics and thoughts in the official owner's thread, if anyone is interested). I don't play competitively/tournaments, but: consider myself a discerning flipper. And: either own or have owned Bally/Williams, JJP, Spooky, Data East, Heighway. And: have put serious play on every game on the top 100 (as a consultant, I <used to> travel every day. frequently stopped at the best pinball spots coast to coast). plus I built a high-end Virtual Pin. I know - it isn't the same thing. But: better than nothing. And: some of the original tables using PinUp Packs are something else (e.g. Harry Potter, Stranger Things, etc.).

ANYWAY, I am completely blown away by GNR. I was *slightly* concerned about gameplay after watching the initial streams. But: grail theme led to an impulse LE order at launch announcement (btw: direct from JJP website. must have been one of the first people to have order processed once you could actually purchase). First time I've bought a pin w/out putting it through its paces (hell: even had several trips to play Alien at SF's Flipper Room before pulling the trigger).

Anyone claiming this game doesn't have "flow" must have a different definition of "flow" than I do. you can absolutely hit orbits/inner loop/ramps for quick action. The light and sound show can be overwhelming on first play. But: the rules are clearly explained on the mini screen and through call-outs. But: WOW the experience. The risk/reward of continuing song mode vs. cashing out adds an awesome dynamic. The light and sound show is absolutely phenomenal, especially as you build momentum in a song.

My only quasi-negative: the Album wizard modes aren't fully fleshed out yet (i hope). They are technically there, but: honestly a bit of a letdown after the mind-melting of crushing a song like "Live and Let Die", earn an encore into the next song, then moving into "boss mode" animations with video-gamey-sound effects. Fully expecting those to get better as code matures (and: let's give props...most games ship with place-holders for wizard modes. GNR has a ton of them out of the box).

Upper playfield is better than Wizard of Oz, but: spiritual successor. most importantly: it does not interrupt the flow of the game like WOZ. I love that some shots can find their way directly to the Gibson headstock/ball lock. The VUK to the bass "string" paths is super cool. The diverter that changes the left ramp from quick turnaround to the upper playfield is also sweet as hell. Will withhold judgement until I get a chance to play a SE to have an opinion to have it changes shots/flow.

Beyond the "collect band members", "start song", "complete album" main mission path, there are a ton of other multi-ball opportunities. Spend a few minutes with the rule sheet on JJP and they go from mysterious to intentional. Can there be a lot going on? Absolutely. Part of the design. But: as stated: the single ball pressure to either start song or end song raises tensions quite a bit. And: as has been said, all multi-balls rules/setting can be fine-tuned to your liking. So far, I've only upped the flipper strengths a bit and turned on Adult mode (needed some "Mr. Brownstone", even with teenagers in the house).

Happy to answer questions as I have one sitting a few feet away. Hope everyone gets a chance to play this; your mileage may vary, but: I'm absolutely thrilled. truly an incredible pinball experience (which: even my wife and teenage girls LOVED, which never happens).

GNR4 (resized).jpgGNR4 (resized).jpg
#3176 3 years ago

Someone with a LE needs to wire that Marshall Amp speaker up and report back. Has a RCA connection along with 3.5mm or Bluetooth.

Friggin rocked in the store and would not need to add a sub underneath.

E0A4F907-505F-451A-9A11-0EB70F093BA9 (resized).pngE0A4F907-505F-451A-9A11-0EB70F093BA9 (resized).png
#3177 3 years ago

Thunderbird let folks play the game and make their own assessments. I would suggest you do the same before taking sides. Enjoy your Munsters

#3178 3 years ago
Quoted from wdbthree:

Agree completely w/ vividpsychosis. LE #315 arrived yesterday at my house (posted a few pics and thoughts in the official owner's thread, if anyone is interested). I don't play competitively/tournaments, but: consider myself a discerning flipper. And: either own or have owned Bally/Williams, JJP, Spooky, Data East, Heighway. And: have put serious play on every game on the top 100 (as a consultant, I <used to> travel every day. frequently stopped at the best pinball spots coast to coast). plus I built a high-end Virtual Pin. I know - it isn't the same thing. But: better than nothing. And: some of the original tables using PinUp Packs are something else (e.g. Harry Potter, Stranger Things, etc.).
ANYWAY, I am completely blown away by GNR. I was *slightly* concerned about gameplay after watching the initial streams. But: grail theme led to an impulse LE order at launch announcement (btw: direct from JJP website. must have been one of the first people to have order processed once you could actually purchase). First time I've bought a pin w/out putting it through its paces (hell: even had several trips to play Alien at SF's Flipper Room before pulling the trigger).
Anyone claiming this game doesn't have "flow" must have a different definition of "flow" than I do. you can absolutely hit orbits/inner loop/ramps for quick action. The light and sound show can be overwhelming on first play. But: the rules are clearly explained on the mini screen and through call-outs. But: WOW the experience. The risk/reward of continuing song mode vs. cashing out adds an awesome dynamic. The light and sound show is absolutely phenomenal, especially as you build momentum in a song.
My only quasi-negative: the Album wizard modes aren't fully fleshed out yet (i hope). They are technically there, but: honestly a bit of a letdown after the mind-melting of crushing a song like "Live and Let Die", earn an encore into the next song, then moving into "boss mode" animations with video-gamey-sound effects. Fully expecting those to get better as code matures (and: let's give props...most games ship with place-holders for wizard modes. GNR has a ton of them out of the box).
Upper playfield is better than Wizard of Oz, but: spiritual successor. most importantly: it does not interrupt the flow of the game like WOZ. I love that some shots can find their way directly to the Gibson headstock/ball lock. The VUK to the bass "string" paths is super cool. The diverter that changes the left ramp from quick turnaround to the upper playfield is also sweet as hell. Will withhold judgement until I get a chance to play a SE to have an opinion to have it changes shots/flow.
Beyond the "collect band members", "start song", "complete album" main mission path, there are a ton of other multi-ball opportunities. Spend a few minutes with the rule sheet on JJP and they go from mysterious to intentional. Can there be a lot going on? Absolutely. Part of the design. But: as stated: the single ball pressure to either start song or end song raises tensions quite a bit. And: as has been said, all multi-balls rules/setting can be fine-tuned to your liking. So far, I've only upped the flipper strengths a bit and turned on Adult mode (needed some "Mr. Brownstone", even with teenagers in the house).
Happy to answer questions as I have one sitting a few feet away. Hope everyone gets a chance to play this; your mileage may vary, but: I'm absolutely thrilled. truly an incredible pinball experience (which: even my wife and teenage girls LOVED, which never happens).
[quoted image]

Enjoy your game! Can’t wait for mine to arrive Thursday. Definitely good to up the flippers a bit. Made it feel much better.

#3179 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Dennis’s assessment on GNR is right on the money. Zach’s retorts don’t hold water and all he could say to counter Dennis is he hasn’t played it yet???

He hasn't played it yet? Why are you listening to someone blather on about a game they haven't even played? Serious question, that sounds utterly tedious.

I don't listen to pinball podcasts, I gather these guys arguing is a format, but really, if you haven't played the game what amazing insights into "how good of a game is it?" can you even bring?

I've been known to blather on about other things on a game, mostly art packages, but I can *see* those. You can't see playing a game. No, watching someone else flip on a stream isn't remotely the same thing. Pinball is a physical experience, that's the entire point, and if you haven't had the experience you can't speak on it.

I'm all for opinions, but I think we've really reached the point where people need to learn when to shut the fuck up about things they have no knowledge of. Too much talking to hear your own voice.

#3180 3 years ago
Quoted from wdbthree:

Agree completely w/ vividpsychosis. LE #315 arrived yesterday at my house (posted a few pics and thoughts in the official owner's thread, if anyone is interested). I don't play competitively/tournaments, but: consider myself a discerning flipper. And: either own or have owned Bally/Williams, JJP, Spooky, Data East, Heighway. And: have put serious play on every game on the top 100 (as a consultant, I <used to> travel every day. frequently stopped at the best pinball spots coast to coast). plus I built a high-end Virtual Pin. I know - it isn't the same thing. But: better than nothing. And: some of the original tables using PinUp Packs are something else (e.g. Harry Potter, Stranger Things, etc.).
[quoted image]

Great info thanks - does the powder coat have metal flake in it?

#3181 3 years ago

Regarding the art on the LE, is it family friendly for the most part? Anything over the top that wouldn't be recommended in a house with younger kids? Thanks

#3182 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Someone with a LE needs to wire that Marshall Amp speaker up and report back. Has a RCA connection along with 3.5mm or Bluetooth.
Friggin rocked in the store and would not need to add a sub underneath.[quoted image]

It would need to power outside the pin though I guess unlike the CE version?

#3183 3 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

It would need to power outside the pin though I guess unlike the CE version?

So does adding a sub, don’t really see that as a restrictive issue. The CE has a crummy $60 soundbar with tiny speakers, how good can it possibly sound.

10-12.5k pin with a $60 speaker, I think I’d go with something legit.

#3184 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Why? The whole game looks pretty immersive and interactive to me. I don't really get the interactive toy/mech comments. I have a Wonka LE and it really doesn't have any innovative toys...yea it has the gobstopper and wonkavator, but there's no real innovation or complex mechs. Wonkavator is really just a VUK with a ball lock. Gobstopper is fun to hit, but nothing innovative here yet the game is a blast to play. POTC is really loaded with stuff, but unfortunately was too expensive for JJP to deliver. That being said is an entirely different game than GNR or Wonka. Its more a stop and go game with some flow, but flow is not on the same level as Wonka. I guess I don't see all the interactive toys in DI, and I couldn't stand the theme so I sold it. When I look at GNR its all about the entire experience and theme integration....shots, game play, code, mechs, lighting, etc... Music and pinball is just a great mix.

#3185 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

after the initial newness of the game wears off I think I'd probably have more fun playing any single-ball Crank It Up vs the endless multiball I saw this evening.

Someone is going to say "just turn off ball saver in settings, or don't lock balls" but this is just clearly how the game is meant to be played. The modes are built for it.

Just how I feel as a player, others might disagree.

Quoted from Aurich:

But as much as JJP is really setting a high bar here I'd still rather flip a Keith Elwin game if I was looking for a new pin. Gameplay has to be the first consideration for me.

And hey, maybe I'll play one and change my mind, I'm only going off of the endless multiball videos.

Quoted from Aurich:

I think we've really reached the point where people need to learn when to shut the fuck up about things they have no knowledge of.

#3186 3 years ago

All of this is just my opinion, but with the number of games I have owned in a home setting, and my level of skill playing, I do hope that my insights help you all even if it’s in a small manner.
My experience may not ultimately end up being yours but I love games from all companies, I have owned games from just about every company and this title, seriously just blew me away. I actually think it will make a rather interesting tournament game. For home use, it’s a 10 without hesitation from m my experience.
Anyways, thanks for the kind comments and I hope the insights treat you well.

But in the same sense, this IS the honeymoon period for this game. How will you, and everyone else feel 6 months or 2 years about this game? That's why I'm trying to focus in the middle, let my initial reactions exist in both joy and a wafchful eye.

I do appreciate your enthusiasm though!

Headed back today to play again!!!

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I feel the same way.... POTC will always be magical in it’s own way, but....in the same sense, Eric yas entirely restyled his game approach, and bom, with this game.

So that's how I'm thinking about it. Not a comparison, a unique compliment to one another!

#3187 3 years ago

Enjoy your game! Can’t wait for mine to arrive Tuesday. Definitely good to up the flippers a bit. Made it feel much better.

Thought you were getting a CE? Are they shipping that quickly?

#3188 3 years ago

Whatever game they were playing was not setup properly. There is not a single shot that you make the punishes you with a drain. Not 1. For example, on poorly setup games, the under the right flipper shot will drain out the right outlane. (Correct setup) goes to the right rubber and bounces to the left flipper. The scoop (when not setup right) will drain sdtm) when it’s setup properly it goes directly to the left flipper. The right loop, goes to the left flipper and the left loop goes to the upper right flipper when properly setup.

Good call. These guys are judging this game based on a operator setup right out of the box. Can’t do that.

#3189 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thought you were getting a CE? Are they shipping that quickly?

I’m getting both. CE number 105 and I got an LE because I know the wait to get my CE is going to be too long for my taste.

#3190 3 years ago

I’m getting both. CE number 105 and I got an LE because I know the wait to get my CE is going to be too long for my taste.

Now that is commitment! Fwiw, liked your review. Im in for an LE and feeling the wait is going to be too long.

#3191 3 years ago

It takes a little getting use to because right after you hit the left ramp you need to remember not to hold the right flipper otherwise the upper pf flipper will be in the way and you will keep getting it to fall into the hole.

If this game is built like WOZ, the flipper buttons are two position buttons (i.e. there are two sets of switch contacts). First switch contact activates the lower flippers. The second activates the upper flippers/all of the flippers at once. The skill of using the two switch contacts comes into play in this situation. Less can be more!

#3192 3 years ago

I love the GnRs theme. Plus, everything I've read and listened to so far on JJP's GnRs looks amazing!

I own the Data East GnRs, it sits right next to its little brother Tommy. I've owned it since mid 90's. It's a great game... just not sure it would be a keeper after JJP's GnRs arrives.

Exciting Times Indeed!

#3193 3 years ago

man - well done!

#3194 3 years ago

Jimmy The Cab Driver describes November Rain. Never forget.

#3195 3 years ago

I wonder if the installing of a playfield protector on this pin would be more difficult that on an average JJP pin?

#3196 3 years ago

So the interesting thing about the upper of is that it’s basically 2 shots. Yes there is 3 but one is basically a non shot (under the flipper). It takes a little getting use to because right after you hit the left ramp you need to remember not to hold the right flipper otherwise the upper pf flipper will be in the way and you will keep getting it to fall into the hole. Once you get a hang of it, there are two shots. You will always gravitate towards the lock shot and to see the cool guitar head feature. It’s easy to make. The more difficult shot is the bass shot, while not really difficult per say, it’s just not immediately where your mind goes because who doesn’t wanna lock the ball? But it is essential to get the bass member.
The guitar locking head is really enjoyable to see. Its not necessarily a satisfying shot, but I will say sometimes you hit the left ramp just right and the ball goes directly up and around into the lock, and that does feel good. The bass shot is neat cause can go down different paths. Overall that shot feels like the Woz castle shot.
I personally like the addition it adds to the game. The game would be much easier on the SE because you just repeat the left ramp to get all the same stuff. Whereas on the LE and CE you gotta work to get it to the bass player or to lock a ball, beyond just hitting the ramp.

Quoted from wdbthree:

Thanks for the explanation! I have seen the videos but never really seemed like the upper PF was the focus of the game, more like it was up there and you would flip it, I didn't really get that you need to get the bass ramp shot as well. I just anted to make sure if the upper PF is fun and worthwhile.

Can you tell me sometimes the ramp is just the ramp and other times the upper PF is open, so what qualifies the upper shot to be open, I know if you have a band member and you can lock but what makes it be just a ramp and what makes it open? Is there a light also that shows it open?

#3197 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I know the upper PF keeps getting asked about but it isn’t simply losing the upper PF with the SE.
You lose the upper PF, the Gibson slash 6 string ball lock, the fender bass wireform ramp, the vuk and you give up the best art pkg of the 3.
To me the difference are like night and day.

Also the shaker and the invisible glass. Now I know these can be added a la cart but the point is costs $400 for both (maybe more) and the color armor. SO the LE adds a ton.

Just so everyone know why I am harping on the SE, the cost is something but not that important to me. I am all about gameplay/flow as well as rules, art, sound, music etc.. So everything the LE wins (for me) just except the flow obviously would be better with a ramp only not with extra locks and flippers and diverters etc...

I am wholeheartedly going to order but I just need to understand that the LE (upper PF) is not a hinderance. I liken it to the hammer lock on Metallica where (to me) the pro is almost as good, like 95% of the same game just missing the hammer/lock and spinners and extra lights. Probably Met premium is technically better experience but Met pro flows great and is just locks a ball and you keep playing, not a real lock and wait for the next ball to be served. That to me would be what the GnR SE would be like.

#3198 3 years ago

Sako-TRG it has some texture, but doesn’t have metal flakes that “pop” like WOZ. Tried to do pics of each; you can see the WOZ sparkle effect a bit in the pic. They both look great.

35FE8A51-457E-4550-AD23-9CEC1A59C7CC (resized).jpeg35FE8A51-457E-4550-AD23-9CEC1A59C7CC (resized).jpeg3A0C92DA-B52A-4EAB-8192-115272460910 (resized).jpeg3A0C92DA-B52A-4EAB-8192-115272460910 (resized).jpeg
#3199 3 years ago

wisemanbba bit of a subjective question, but I don’t think there’s anything objectionable. Skeletons abound, but nothing explicitly violent or sexual. Here’s photos (from unboxing; better view vs. trying to grab pic in my lineup).

11DBF999-4F00-4F60-8083-0B7D60765B12 (resized).jpeg11DBF999-4F00-4F60-8083-0B7D60765B12 (resized).jpeg5B9DE6D1-2E4F-4D31-B5F7-C2085C45F553 (resized).jpeg5B9DE6D1-2E4F-4D31-B5F7-C2085C45F553 (resized).jpeg
#3200 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Why? The whole game looks pretty immersive and interactive to me. I don't really get the interactive toy/mech comments. I have a Wonka LE and it really doesn't have any innovative toys...yea it has the gobstopper and wonkavator, but there's no real innovation or complex mechs. Wonkavator is really just a VUK with a ball lock. Gobstopper is fun to hit, but nothing innovative here yet the game is a blast to play. POTC is really loaded with stuff, but unfortunately was too expensive for JJP to deliver. That being said is an entirely different game than GNR or Wonka. Its more a stop and go game with some flow, but flow is not on the same level as Wonka. I guess I don't see all the interactive toys in DI, and I couldn't stand the theme so I sold it. When I look at GNR its all about the entire experience and theme integration....shots, game play, code, mechs, lighting, etc... Music and pinball is just a great mix.

Wonkavision, wonkavator, gobstopper, extremely clever use of SEVEN magnets, captive ball... - insane Lawlor design with combos out your ass... No need for 700 multiballs.

I don't understand your dedication to fighting any tiny criticism of GnR. It has great assets and immersion and some "neat" things like high hats and drumsticks, but it's unlike all previous JJP releases in that it lacks any substantial ball interaction (mechs/toys whatever you want to call them) aside from a second PF and the headstock lock. To many JJP fans, myself included, this sucks. I'll take the mechs over the lightshow and concert footage any day. I'm not playing pinball to look at the screen, and crazy lightshows blind me when I'm playing in my dark dungeon. My DILE is the max I'd ever want for lightshows.

That said, I'll play this on location for sure, but I'd buy Wonka over GnR any day.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bensenville, IL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

There are 5,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 111.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-hype/page/64?hl=pinchild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.