(Topic ID: 57299)

DE GUNS N' ROSES CLUB - GNR - Members Only!

By MrBellMan

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,526 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 days ago by mozach
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GNTWEar (resized).jpg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8675 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0630 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0626 (resized).jpeg
0208241539a (resized).jpg
0208241539 (resized).jpg
IMG_0607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpeg
so_clean_you_could_eat_off_of_it (resized).JPG
IMG_0605 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0595 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1540 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#557 7 years ago

Curiosity check. I make reproduction ramps and have been asked in the past if I could do the GNR ramps. Colored plastic is really only available in acrylic and given the beating these ramps have taken, acrylic would not be a good choice for repro ramps. Further, only the red is available....not the yellow. Note that acrylic comes in two varieties.....extruded or cast. Only the extruded can be vacuum formed and unfortunately, the extruded has far fewer color options than the cast. So up until now, or possibly now, I had no avenue to pursue making these. The ideal plastic for these ramps would be PETG, which these days is only realistically available in clear. Recent reproductions (not me) of colored ramps were achieved by painting the underside of clear PETG.

Yesterday I did the first test on a process to dye PETG. First test was a green just to see how well the plastic would take the color and whether or not I could get good color saturation as well as good transparency. Results of the test were very good.

Photos of the test can be seen here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/7#post-3227371

I have yet to test the red and the yellow but will soon.

So, my questions is.....If I can reproduce these in an acceptably dyed PETG, is there any interest?

#559 7 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Have you done any scratch testing on the died ramp? What does it look like if scratched? How about after being cleaned with novus?

Perfect questions. Scratching has no affect on the color. The dye I am using completely penetrates the PETG....basically color all the way through it. I just took the first test piece and sliced off the end of the ramp to show that the color completely penetrates (see photo). So polishing is no problem. I also just ran a torch over it for those who like to flame polish and it acts just like the original clear PETG.

IMG_1146_(resized).JPGIMG_1146_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#566 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

I'd be in for a couple of each at least. Also would be interested in them in the prototype smoke/gunmetal color that Nelly was considering: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-mods?tq&tu=nelly#post-2112192

I actually have a dye called "Gun Metal". Will test it soon.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Neato. Are you able to form these with the angle in place as they are installed, or would they be "flex-to-fit" as the originals and earlier repros were? (See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-mods?tq&tu=nelly#post-2813992 )

I will have to get the ramps in my hands to see how I will form them. Need to assess the thickness of the plastic and decide if I will match it or possibly use a slightly thicker plastic. I think I would tend to try to form these with at least most of the angle engineered into the form.

1 week later
#580 7 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Let me know if ramps are made. I had a hell of a time replacing my G ramp and my R ramp works but cracked.

Hoping to have the ramps soon!

2 weeks later
#583 7 years ago

I've begun working on the GNR ramps. I'm making the mold for the R ramp this evening and will begin work on the G ramp tomorrow. Ramps should be available in a couple weeks. in this post...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/11#post-3281457

I gave a more detailed update and have asked for some feedback on these ramps. Would appreciate any comments.

1 year later
#817 6 years ago

I am running reproduction ramps for Guns 'n Roses now. Ramps will be clear PETG dyed transparent red and yellow. Detailed info, pricing and photos can be found in the Freeplay40 Ramps thread starting here.....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/18

The G ramp includes new entrance flap and exit bracket. Does not include decal. Trap door mechanism from original ramp will need to be transferred to the new ramp.

The R ramp includes the entrance flap, switch bracket, exit bracket and new clear cover.

Mirco has announced they are currently reproducing the GnR playfield so I thought I would just drop a note here in case anyone is interested now in the new ramps. This is my third run of these and I doubt I will do them again anytime soon.

If you are interested in these let me know right away. I intend to cover everyone that I hear from in the next 10 days or so.

7 months later
7 months later
#1165 5 years ago

I promised a Pinsider from down under that I would do one more run of the GnR ramps this Spring. I think I have gotten to most here on Pinside that have been interested and I do have a list of those still wanting them. In the next couple weeks I will do one more run of these ramps. If you are interested, let me know and feel free to confirm your place on the list.

Mark
IMG_1315 (resized).JPGIMG_1315 (resized).JPG

New Red New Yellow (resized).JPGNew Red New Yellow (resized).JPG
#1167 5 years ago

Getting questions on the new ramp prices....

G ramp includes entrance flap and exit bracket. Does not include decal. Trap door mechanism would need to be transferred from the old ramp to the new ramp. Price $155 Note on the main decal. I was able to easily remove the decal with Goo Gone and then re-glue to the new ramp.

R ramps is complete. New entrance flap, new switch bracket, new exit bracket and new Lexan cover. Price is $125

If interested in one or both, let me know and I will add you to the list.

#1173 5 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

how much is S/H to Europe (Denmark)?

Estimating can be shipped regular mail for probably $45 but no more than $50.

#1175 5 years ago

No payments until they are ready. I have you on the list and will notify you when available.

Mark

#1182 4 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Put me down for a set of ramps please

On the list.

#1183 4 years ago

A little eye candy for those of you on the GNR ramp list. Making just a few more G ramps before last call and then start finishing them.

IMG_1445 (resized).JPGIMG_1445 (resized).JPG
#1186 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocd:

Put me down for a set of ramps as well please.

Pretty close to the wire, but you are good.

#1189 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

I’ll take a spare set ... never know!!

On the list. Whew! Only a couple left now.

#1198 4 years ago

New GnR ramps. So pretty much all I have is spoken for. I will continue to take names for those interested in case anyone backs out. I still have the yellow dye available and can make a few more if necessary. Want to get everyone covered this round.

3 weeks later
#1277 4 years ago

Guns 'N Roses ramp update...

I believe everyone who had indicated interest has been contacted for ramps. At the moment I have just enough G ramps to cover everyone, but expect I will see some who no longer want them. R ramps will continue to be made on demand and at the moment I am short R ramps only because I am almost out of the thickness I use for these ramps and my supplier is out of this thickness. I actually have enough to cover everyone on the R ramps, but I do not want to make any more than I need since I'm short.

If you had indicated interest and did not hear from me let me know. There are already a couple Pinsiders that have not responded to the notification so I expect I will end up with 2 or 3 extra G ramps....exactly where I would like to be.

Please, those of you who have been notified that are no longer interested, let me know so I can whittle down the final list.

To all of you who ordered, thank you. Personally?...Whew!

Mark

#1281 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Does this mean you won't be producing the G ramp on demand? If that's the case (and if I may ask) what's the reasoning there?

Yellow. I routinely dye ramps blue and red and always have those colors available. The G ramp is the only thing I do in yellow, so I just don't maintain that color actively.

1 week later
#1316 4 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

As for the new ramp set for GnR it's a nice guy name Freeplay40 that makes them are they are great I got a set ,he might have some left over not sure but you can look him up on here
Thanks

Have covered everyone on my list for the new ramps. At this point I have just two sets left.

1 month later
#1354 4 years ago

Hard to tell, but 1st photo....top row...2 pins on the left appear suspect...possibly cracked solder.. Reflow?

#1361 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Size looks the same. I guess you can just take a closer picture of the areas I pointed out with the orange arrows to see how they look with better resolution, but at the get least, get a temp controlled solder station ordered and a roll of thin solder so you can be ready to fix this once you verify it is indeed the board.

Pinside automatically resizes (downsizes) any attached photos.

#1363 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not if you select "original size" on the dropdown when uploading.

Ahhhh...Good to know. Never noticed that.

#1372 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

maybe mark has a extra laying around still?

I fixed him up.

#1382 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

Also does anyone sell the slash sticker that goes on the ramp? Mine is reusable, but a new one would be nice.

Bay Area Amusement sells a decal set that includes that decal.

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-GNR98

4 months later
#1579 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Did you have to pay up front?

No...and even when the time comes that they make it and you are not longer interested, you can withdraw.

8 months later
#1902 3 years ago

GUNS N' ROSES Ramps

I was changing out one of my dye baths this week and I've decided to do one more run of the Guns n' Roses ramps. I can pretty much do the R ramps (red) at any time on demand, but I rarely use a yellow dye necessary for the G ramp....So if anyone is interested in getting in on this run, let me know so I can see how many I need to make.

#1915 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

This game is never leaving; I’ll take a round this time. Flaps installed?

pm sent

2 years later
#2429 1 year ago

Just a heads up if anyone is interested. I am doing another run of both the G and the R ramp for DE Guns n' Roses right now. Just planning on doing enough with a couple extra sets to cover current wait list requests. Both ramps are made with a thicker plastic than the original. G ramp includes the entrance flap and the exit bracket. Trap door assembly for the G ramp will need to be transferred from the old ramp to the new ramp. No decals for the G ramp included. G ramp is $155. The R ramp is basically a complete reproduction including the entrance flap, exit bracket, switch bracket and new clear cover. R ramp is $125

Plus shipping.

Let me know if you are interested.

7 months later
#2483 9 months ago

I make reproduction G & R ramps for GnR. While the original R ramp is a more transparent red, the original G ramp is more along the lines of "translucent"....like opaqueish. I suppose it was based on what plastics were available at the time of manufacture. Nowadays, no colored plastic suitable for vacuum forming is available, so we now dye the plastic. My new G ramp is more transparent than the original and matches the R ramp transparency.

IMG_1315 (resized).JPGIMG_1315 (resized).JPG

#2485 9 months ago

I probably should have mentioned that I only have two sets left! Maybe only one as Jrotten just inquired for a set.....he's bought several of these over the last few years.

#2486 9 months ago

GnR ramp sets are gone. Have one R ramp left. If there is continued interest, I will do another run, likely this fall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-gnr-members-only?tu=freeplay40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.