(Topic ID: 57299)

DE GUNS N' ROSES CLUB - GNR - Members Only!

By MrBellMan

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,526 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 days ago by mozach
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GNTWEar (resized).jpg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8675 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0630 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0626 (resized).jpeg
0208241539a (resized).jpg
0208241539 (resized).jpg
IMG_0607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpeg
so_clean_you_could_eat_off_of_it (resized).JPG
IMG_0605 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0595 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1540 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grandnational007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#957 5 years ago

Mine has done this as well; check for loose connections/reseat cables/connectors. Give the head a good "thunk" and see if it corrects it; if so, probably a loose connection somewhere.

3 months later
#1071 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

So I took off the glass and started rotating through the mini orbits/scoop mystery combos. Ill have to count next time, but they appear to be random and most were listed in the 2.0 rules.
Couple of things discovered though:
What exactly is "Special" - I didn't see what score increased and it doesn't really give any hints. (I look at the score next time)
The order in when the scoop gets lit doesn't follow the rules, it actually starts at 3, then goes to 6 or something then decreases down to 3 - ill write down the pattern next time
I got something called "Little Fighter" or something like that in the mystery scoop - no idea
There was also a 100,000,000 not listed in the 2.0 rules, again not sure if it was reputition or just a random mini orbit.
Im gonna keep plugging away and when I make sense of them, ill put it in the soon to be 3.0 rules
Oh, and I have the 3.0 ROM, so not sure if that matters as I don't have any differences listed from 1.0-3.0

This is outstanding! I remember reading that (as well as the "mystery features" part) in the owner's manual and thought "hmmm?". love how things are uncovered even years later. Keep up the good work!

I've noticed on occasion (maybe every time, but I'm not sure) that upon the start of RIOT! wizard mode, an award (maybe 100,000?) is given and a flaming skull animation with a name runs across the dmd PRIOR to the actual start of the mode. I think I have noticed that it isn't awarded from time to time, any guesses here folks? I COULD take the glass off, but I'm currently not at home, haha...

#1073 5 years ago
Quoted from Foraree34:

If you get a perfect score in Gilby Rolls mode (93mil) you get the flaming skull and an extra 50mil bonus. That's the only place I have seen that though. I wonder if you change the difficulty in the settings if you see these Easter eggs any differently

I'm aware of that one, but I'll have to actually watch when I play a few games tonight. Sometimes it happens, other times it doesn't; trying to figure out why...

2 months later
#1261 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Can't wait for the new GnR. Hopefully we get Frank Ferrer, Melissa Reese, and Richard Fortus all represented in the backglass art. I wonder if they'll go with a braided Axl, braided and fat Axl, or just fat Axl. Bloated Slash should be totally RnR.
Definitely looking forward to hearing all the great tunes they've recorded since 1995. Should be cool hearing all that over and over through a fancy new sound system.
Staring at $9500 maybe?

LOL, pretty much.

GNR is a perennial favorite of mine, but you really nailed it. Nobody really cares about anything after UYI2; hell, I remember when Chinese Democracy FINALLY came out, and there wasn't even a buzz over it. I remember hearing a song or two on the radio, and that was the end of the hype for it. Hell, when I saw them the last tour, I think they may have played a single song released after '94. (For the record, the concert was awesome, show was three hours long and they played probably 40 songs, one after the other, after the other, after the other!)

As for the pin, it's a classic. Simple to understand, packed with shots and features. Good modes and even scoring. Great sounds, good dots. Satisfying shots. The only thing I yearn for would be the ability to stack modes and multiball. (Coma doesn't really count, as it sort of runs in the background if your sixth shot to the band saucer corresponds with starting coma...).

If JJP drops a new GNR, I'm not really sure what direction they would take. I like the games, but they just don't connect with me, if that makes sense. I've played the hell out of WOZ and DI, and I just never feel connected to them. I played WW this past weekend at the NYCPC, and it just felt too kiddie for me. I really like the movie and all, but "Kid Multiball"? Really? The whole thing just seems weird. Based on the previous games, a "new" GNR would probably be a pass for me. We'll see.

Now back to shouting at clouds and telling kids to get off my lawn.

1 month later
#1342 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I have a couple of questions.
I bought all of the cliffys. It looks like they (or some knockoff), are already installed at the lower part of my yellow ramp?
I assume the yellow ramp needs to come completely off for the cliffy ramp part. I think this stupid nut (pictured), is the main one holding me back. How are you guys getting this one off?
Is my right yellow ramp post incorrect? I saw a picture that looks different than mine.
Edit: i got the ramp out, but this thing needs to be shopped. So I am going to order new rubbers , and do this all at once.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those lower metal guides/protector on your "G" ramp are factory.

#1344 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I assume the yellow ramp needs to come completely off for the cliffy ramp part. I think this stupid nut (pictured), is the main one holding me back. How are you guys getting this one off?

It's been a while since I had mine all apart, but I believe the G ramp is just kind of held in place by that bracket, as in you can slide it out for full removal once everything else is unbolted/out of the way. I didn't follow a guide or anything, but it was pretty straight forward.

ETA: Looking through my phone, I found pics from the last tear down. That nut and bracket did not have to come out to remove the G ramp or the snake/bowl. It acts solely as a support for the ramp.

#1349 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the details. If I remove the board and post some close up photos, do you think you could visually spot any issues?

I bet I could, I just worked through the same issue with a Baywatch. Sounds like the low voltage hold SCR is bad or cold-soldered. Take some close ups of the front of the board and the back of the board, and I'm sure we could walk you through it.

ETA: Also check end-of-stroke switches to be sure they are (I think) closed when the flipper button is fully pressed. I doubt that's the problem as the problem "walked", so it sounds like an electrical component issue. The third flipper shouldn't have any switch leaves, as it takes it's signal from the left flipper. I'm betting the faulty component is in position SR1 or SR2 on the board.

#1351 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the help. Don’t have the capacity to do board work but it would be helpful to isolate the issue. I may end up having to buy a new board. I am trying to see if a friend will try the board in his GnR. Jim

If you are going to buy a replacement board anyways, it might be worth trying. It's not really hard to unsolder/solder in a new component. Figure a new SCR will be $2; a new board could be over $100. Just fruit for thought. I totally understand not wanting to get into the nitty gritty of board work.

1 month later
#1423 4 years ago

I've found that playing for modes (and actually playing the lucrative ones and not timing everything out) leads to generally higher scoring games than the super pops/multiball all day strat.

A clean backhand to the add bandmember/guitar feature shot is SOOOO satisfying.

1 month later
#1519 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Where did you get them? And ... you have a ColorDMD in Baywatch, but not GnR?? Priorities sir! lol

I happen to have both GNR and BW; I would absolutely take color in BW over GNR, its stunning how beautiful it is, especially with the big screen...it's the most drastic improvement I've seen out of all the colorized games, especially with BW's digitally rendered graphics. It's "almost" LCD like. GNR DOES look great in color, but not even in the same league as BW, in my probably unpopular opinion, haha.

1 month later
#1574 4 years ago

Shadow either, lol.

A sad commentary on the state of firearms these days...I had to pay a fee, to take a class, to pay another fee to the fbi and my local police station, so I could pay another fee to get a temp permit, so I could pay a fee to get a hard permit from the state police, so that I have to pay a fee to renew every 5 years to have the "right" to buy or carry a pistol concealed (and now just to purchase or even posses a long gun or any ammo at all). Imagine if they did that to any other constitutional right? Imagine the uproar if you needed a permit to vote?

Death by a thousand cuts and all that...Eventually people either just say "F#ck it!" and give up on firearm ownership (which I'm sure is the plan), quit caring about whatever bullshit law is passed next, or...

5 months later
#1742 4 years ago

For those seeking apron cards, check out pinballcards.com

Whats an Xpin board like that go for?

4 weeks later
#1806 3 years ago

It's probably a silly question, but have you pulled the coil sleeve and cleaned or replaced it? Wiped down the plunger shaft, and inspected for mushrooming and cleaned the linkage mechs? Checked the coil stop for cracks, and not being completely hammered? Tightened everything up?

My left flipper started getting really weak in the middle of a monster game the other day, and upon inspection, the sleeve and plunger were COVERED in coil dust. A quick wipe down of all the components with rubbing alcohol, and a tightening of all the screws and it was back up an running like new.

1 week later
#1841 3 years ago
Quoted from Fm09138:

Not sure what happened but i just noticed that my game no longer displays the match feature at the end of the game. Any idea why / how th
at would happen? I verified that it is set on the Modesty Option.

Tournament settings turned on?

I switch around settings every few months to keep it fresh (extra balls off/on with the different settings) and I think IFPA/Tournament modes turn off the animation, but it's been a little while...

2 weeks later
#1849 3 years ago

Last night, I noticed the upper left flipper wasn't as "snappy" as it usually is, and my left flipper has lost some power as well. I did a quick clean of the associated mechs, and left it at that, but to no avail. I haven't began looking at anything else yet, but where should I start? I was going to check the eos at the lower bat, and maybe do the old crisp dollar bill trick across the button switch contacts...

3 weeks later
#1874 3 years ago

While checking on a weak upper and lower left flipper issue tonight, I noticed the laser kick has now stopped working. The left out lane switch appears to be good; dmd triggers the animation for kickback when testing with glass off. Looked at solder joints on the coil lugs, and they look good. Any idea where to begin before I have to move a few games out of the lineup to get enough room to work on it? Haha.

There’s a diode on the coil, but I haven’t even broke the meter out yet, for what it’s worth...

#1876 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I would start with the ground and +50 volts.

Going to have to dig out the schematics. Hoping it just needs a good cable re-seat, but that's hardly ever the case, haha

1 week later
#1888 3 years ago

So now that I finally have some time to troubleshoot my non working laser kick...

Coil doesn’t fire in coil test.

Checked connections and reseated plugs at the power board.

Checked the connection (but not voltage) of the associated transistor on the ppb board.

Checked voltage off the laser kick coil lugs and got 0.000...

Any idea where to check next?

#1889 3 years ago

So after getting my laser kick squared away (of course the last thing I checked was the fuse ...), I’m still at wit’s end with the upper left flipper being weak. I pulled the flipper board, and every thing appears ok; clips are good and tight, fuses are good...any idea what would cause it to be be “un-snappy”? It can’t make the loop, it’s that bad.

Holding strength seems ok, it’s just initial pulse that seems weak. I’m done for the evening, but will be back at it tomorrow.

#1897 3 years ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

Run a business card through the switch contacts.

I believe I did that first when I first noticed the issue, at the button contacts, but will try again.

Of course I used the last of my DE coil stops rebuilding the Baywatch I got last year, so I'll be ordering a couple in a few days, while I compile a list of other doo-dads I need to justify the shipping. The coil stop in the third flipper DOES have a large dish in in, so this could be the issue.

While investigating, I found a minor "hack" on the flipper board that I had never noticed before: The fuse clip that held the RIGHT flipper low power hold fuse in was cracked and the fuse was being held in place by a piece of wood wedged between an adjacent fuse to keep contact. Since the clips are junk anyways, I soldered the fuse to the remaining tabs, and there is good continuity. I actually have replacement clips, but will save that for a rainy day soon after I get the new stops. If after replacing the coil stops and sleeve, and there's still an issue, I'll repair the clips to factory in case there is an issue with the soldered fuse...getting close!

1 week later
#1903 3 years ago

So after getting EVERYTHING sorted out with GNR, I just noticed the magnets stopped working (lol, it’s always something). This is a fairly recent phenomenon, occurring roughly at the same time the kickback failed a few weeks ago (which happened to only be the fuse; coincidence?). From some quick research F9 on the ppb is also used for protection of the magnet board, as well as the kickback, but I can’t confirm that.

I checked the fuses, and all 3 are blown. I popped a couple new 2.5 amp slo-blows in, and they popped while playing a test game for magnet function.

Any ideas where to start?

Magnets test at 4.9/4.8/4.8 ohms when putting a meter probe on the duplexed connection and placing the probe on the three individual terminals.

Game plays flawlessly other than this one last issue.

FD4464D0-ACF9-49AE-A0FE-B071D1C8ED72 (resized).jpegFD4464D0-ACF9-49AE-A0FE-B071D1C8ED72 (resized).jpeg
#1906 3 years ago

A replacement mag board will be my last resort; I tend to prefer to fix the core issue, rather than replace a whole board; as an example, I’ve soldered in new optos in B/W fliprtronics boards for instance (even though a new board is $15, the replacement opto was $.89 from my local electronics store and two minutes of my time).

Time will tell, as I don’t like to throw parts at a game without actually diagnosing the problem.

#1908 3 years ago

Pulled the mag board out; does anything look remotely suspect?

Any idea what meter readings I should be getting off the three mosfets?

I might replace the three P20N10 mosfets with IRL540 mosfets as suggested by https://www.techdose.com/repairlog/Repairing-a-Data-East-Last-Action-Hero-Magnet-Controller-Board/306/page1.html

24CAB92D-286A-452E-BE16-0382ABDF5E19 (resized).jpeg24CAB92D-286A-452E-BE16-0382ABDF5E19 (resized).jpegB3406D8E-B2AE-4F08-ADCC-C5EA24BDEF31 (resized).jpegB3406D8E-B2AE-4F08-ADCC-C5EA24BDEF31 (resized).jpeg
#1909 3 years ago

here's my benchtop readings of the three mosfets:

I'm far from an expert here, do these look suspect? Should there be continuity across the three legs of the bottom two mosfets?

mosfet readings (resized).pngmosfet readings (resized).png
#1910 3 years ago

So here's my chain of events/logic here:

About a month ago I noticed the kickback stopped working suddenly;

I traced it back to a blown F9 fuse on the ppb; I replaced the fuse and the kickback started working again (And much stronger than before!);

I noticed a week ago that the magnets were not functioning during play;

I checked the three magnet fuses, and they were all popped; placed 3 new 2.5 amp ones in, and upon powering on the machine, heard the distinctive "wwiiirrr" sound of something be stuck on. I checked the fuses and they were all popped. F9 is still good.

I'm left as such: The magnets got locked on by a bad transistor(s) on the board or the magnet board itself. This blew F9 (and subsequently I lost the kickback) and the magnet fuses. The magnets themselves test good. The mosfets on the magnet board appear to be bad (as two test with no continuity). I'm guessing next step is replace the three mosfets on the mag board and go from there?

#1912 3 years ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

I found if I had any continuity on the mosfets they are shot. I had exact problems as you have though never blew F9. I went with the Homepin board & xtra cap it comes with, changed out mags & no issues since. Any mag reading under 3 ohms is NFG. I think the board is still under $100. Well worth it. John

Interesting...

I have my negative lead on the top clip of the mosfet, and the the readings are from the individual legs. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I would have figured no continuity would indicate a shorted/bad mosfet. As far as I can tell, this is the original, untouched magnet board.

Where is the capacitor physically located on your new board? is it literally just in parallel with clk and ground on the pia?

The 70 bucks for a replacement board from the various manufacturers certainly isn't going to break me, I just always prefer to salvage original boards/replace individual components when I can. Call me a sucker for abuse, lol

#1916 3 years ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

I'm not a electronic wiz on this stuff & I wouldn't be able to repair a board either. I have the old mag board here that you are welcome to. Just cover shipping. The capacitor goes into C4 on the new board they give you. I sent mine to a friend to solder that in for me & he tried it out on his GNR. I have pics on my phone of new board & instructions I can send you if you want to text for them. A lot of guys also relocate board to back box but that's major reworking & wiring to make signal wires shorter & some still had a problem. It's just a Data East design issue. John. 973-862-1905

John,

That's a very generous offer; I may take you up on the old board as a backup...

I'll text you later to see where that capacitor is located. Thank you!

#1917 3 years ago

I went ahead and ordered three IRL540PBF (the current equivalent of the IRL540, but with slightly higher continuous amp drainage, so it should actually be more robust) for a whopping $7 shipped to my door by Friday.

Figure it's worth the gamble to pull the 3 old transistors and solder the new ones in. If it works, so be it, and if it doesn't and I get three more blown fuses, I'll order either a great plains or homepin board. Working on them is half the fun of this hobby, right? Right?

#1919 3 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

Is there any way to start ball 3 without having MB ready? Can’t find anything in the settings

I believe setting 47, Multiball Ready Style, set to Hard or Extra Hard.

#1921 3 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

That doesn't work for me. I've tried both. My game ROM is 2.0 Maybe that makes a difference?

Being a DE, it MAY not be possible to deactivate pity multiball...I have mine set up to factory settings.

I'd wait for a more knowledgeable settings/ROM version guru to chime in.

#1923 3 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

See my last post where I linked to my GnR repair blog post. I cover repairing this board in detail including the parts you should upgrade.
Here is the post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-gnr-members-only/page/38#post-5743257

Thank you #arolden!

Thankfully I haven’t had the time to replace the 3 mosfets on the mag board yet; I’ll see if I can’t have someone local socket and replace the pia for me on the mpu, and I’ll rebuild and add all the other things on the mag board! Thank you again!!!

#1928 3 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

No need to replace the PIA yet. Just try upgrading the magnet board first.

You don’t think that would risk blowing the new mosfets?

I mean if I power the game and hear the tell-tale buzz of the magnets I could immediately power the game off/open the coin door, but would that second or two of power surge fry them IF the magnets are in fact locked on?

#1929 3 years ago

I’m pleased to say that gnr is back up and running 100%!

I soldered in the three new IRL540 mosfets and two of the recommended caps arolden recommended (I had them on hand and will probably add the other components to the mag board soon).

I put the board back in, and put three fast blow 1 amp fuses in the holders as a cheap insurance policy in case the magnets were still locked on upon power up.

I powered the game ready to turn it off immediately if I heard the tell tale buzz of the magnets being locked on, but nothing!

I powered the game off, swapped the 2.5 slow blows back in, powered it back on, and proceeded to the mag test in diagnostics. Magnets pulsed normally!

I played a couple test games and everything worked great!

Thanks again for all the help folks, much appreciated!

0C9B6C39-3965-43E4-8795-3C6B7A4797D9 (resized).jpeg0C9B6C39-3965-43E4-8795-3C6B7A4797D9 (resized).jpeg19436D46-8B19-4272-98E0-8E6C6B34AA23 (resized).jpeg19436D46-8B19-4272-98E0-8E6C6B34AA23 (resized).jpeg2BE613EB-EF67-49D0-9CFD-3760B8C5123D (resized).jpeg2BE613EB-EF67-49D0-9CFD-3760B8C5123D (resized).jpeg5609D12C-7B6C-48CD-A1B4-B9E1DC9279D0 (resized).jpeg5609D12C-7B6C-48CD-A1B4-B9E1DC9279D0 (resized).jpeg5C62769A-75EC-49B2-BB49-7E210E8AB375 (resized).jpeg5C62769A-75EC-49B2-BB49-7E210E8AB375 (resized).jpeg71DBC25E-79B8-4BCA-B554-E4C5A61791F9 (resized).jpeg71DBC25E-79B8-4BCA-B554-E4C5A61791F9 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#1975 3 years ago

I love DE GNR...One of my favorite games, hands down, even to this day.

Let's see, arguably, the first (and best) "Rock Band" pin that ACTUALLY incorporated their ACTUAL songs into the game, and told a story...

(Get out of here Bally Kiss, with besides the startup chime in the key of Rock And Roll All Night, could have been any other theme and it would have "worked"/DE Tommy with the musical versions of The Who's songs...)

Tells the tongue-in-cheek story of the band at the time, and even pokes fun at itself (have to get the band on stage, at a time, when they were notorious for being late, or not showing up).

Has actual callouts from the band members (JACKPOT!, RIOT! by Axl, etc.)

Features the only official release of "Ain't Going Down".

Has super fast game play, and can be very mean when set up correctly.

Designed by Joe Kaminkow(!), John Borg(!!), Lyman Sheats(!!!), and Slash(!!!!)

Balanced scoring, multiple ways to attack the game.

Getting to RIOT! wizard mode, and actually collecting a huge Jackpot is VERY challenging, as well as collecting the Super Jackpots in regular multiball.

Deep enough to keep my attention and not get stale; simple enough that newbs understand what to do.

Some interesting and hidden "stacking" features.

Captures the feeling of being at one of their concerts pretty well, and the wide variety of music in this game gets you pretty pumped and never seems repetitive.

6 ball multiball never gets old.

And last but not least, features McBob with a couple of different lines!

Not going to lie though, I may be getting my first JJP ever. With Slash (and most of the band on board) again, this is really an unprecedented release; I can't really think of any other band that "fits" pinball so perfectly, and when the lead guitarist is a pinball enthusiast and had a direct hand in the design and flavor of the game, I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like this again...

Cliche I know, but I never would have thought we'd see the band continue on as successfully as they have recently, and have another game, especially of this quality and magnitude, released! At least not in this lifetime!

#1977 3 years ago

I don't remember where I heard or read it, but apparently, it was a real challenge to get Axl to do the couple callouts he has and sing the lyrics to Ain't Goin Down...

I could only imagine his perspective on things back in '94, haha.

1 week later
#2004 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone had an issue where the top half of the bulbs on the backbox are out? It is almost exactly half of the bulbs right across. I haven't checked the fuses yet. Thinking it may be a connector is loose or damaged. Thanks for the help!

Although it's already been addressed, the purposeless "Z" connector on mine was what was fried...I was able to get a new one, but if not, I would have just soldered and heat shrunk the wires. It's funny, because it's literally pointless, and actually increased the BOM...I guess they must have had an abundance of female connectors in the factory when they built the game, haha.

2 weeks later
#2074 3 years ago

I'm only guessing that you can readily backhand the guitar saucer?

Open those outlanes, add a fat yellow post rubber (or two) to the add-band-member saucer and the guitar saucer, and lets see you do that, haha!

But yeah, EPIC score nonetheless! I'm guessing that was about an hour long game! So satisfying. Great work!

1 month later
#2122 3 years ago
Quoted from eckelpeckel:

Cant make any sense of my lazer kick and magnets.
changed the q2, r18, new coil for the kick(with diode) and as soon as it triggers it blows fuse f5 and f9
This is without magnets.
Magnets live a life of their own.
Top one is completely dead.
Left blows the f5 fuse on startup.
Right just gets incredibly hot when powered.
Feel like i tried everything, even swapped the power board for a pindora.. any ideas??

After a bunch of help from arolden and jrotten, I was able to repair my issue with <$8 in parts, and maybe a half hour of time.

Start at post 1904 in this thread and go from there. I ended up replacing a couple mosfets on the mag board with upgraded components, and adding a few additional caps, and it's been flawless since.

Good luck, you'll be back up and running soon.

2 months later
#2163 3 years ago

First, get a meter out and check for continuity in those GI lamps; check at the pins in the backbox, then the first lamp in the string. Hopefully its just a bad/burnt pin, or hopefully even better, just a loose connection.

If no continuity, find the loose/knocked off wire and resolder it.

If you have continuity, you have two options...

Start removing stuff from the surface to get to the bulbs and replace them with QUALITY new ones. If you go that far, you might as well shop the game. I did mine a couple years back, and it wasn't too bad, took a couple hours. I thought it was impossible that a bunch of GI bulbs could be bad, but if the game was routed before, they very well could be.

or, one I wouldn't recommend, pull the staples and replace the bulbs that way...Good ol' stapled down DE GI.

#2168 3 years ago
Quoted from Foraree34:

Thanks...
What im still wondering is why these lights seem to have no reference in the manual.
I did check the fuses and are fine. Ran out of time to fully trace the wiring, but i hope its safe to assume they likely are on the same circuit.
Anyone have a GnR apart that can find where theae end up on the wiring and in the backboard. Ill get back down there and folow some wires later

they'll be listed on the matrix chart as some type of gi

#2174 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Picture be cool, thanks.

Buttons aren’t all crudded up, they just photograph like that for whatever reason...

D267AD1A-DA8F-46C2-BC86-5BAAA850F0F7 (resized).jpegD267AD1A-DA8F-46C2-BC86-5BAAA850F0F7 (resized).jpeg
5 months later
#2274 2 years ago

With freshly rebuilt flippers, the G ramp is a hoot; I've had a few airballs from time to time, but maybe 1 out of 75-100.

I'm surprised there wasn't a small deflector from the factory at the apex of the "G".

But yes, looks like there is a slight kink at the flap. Good luck!

2 months later
#2333 2 years ago

Add-a-member scoop on mine looks just like that. Nothing out of the ordinary. You can hit it full power and it doesn’t rattle out or anything. FWIW, as long as it kicks to the VUK, I wouldn’t worry about it. YMMV.

1 month later
#2342 2 years ago

Huh…

Never seen that before, “BUT”, if I had to guess, the right orbit for Slash solo loops.

That said, I love spinners, but GNR doesn’t feel like it’s missing anything with a lack of one. DE seemingly stuck everything (including the kitchen sink) in their games back during this era, and it usually just muddled up the gameplay. To me, GNR is one of the few DE games that doesn’t suffer from that…

#2350 2 years ago

With long needle nose pliers (or small hands) you don't even need to drop the mech to replace the targets; when the transfer bar is at rest, the bottom of the targets can be slid out. YMMV on which method is quicker for you.

10 months later
#2428 1 year ago

Yes, it's factory, and pretty rare, only being an option on FOREIGN (non-US) domestic market games, and only 100 made.

I'm guessing it needs the caps replaced, or has a wonky connector.

Also, as the exterior control has two jacks, make sure someone didn't break off a male headphone jack in one, as it would cause issues; I'm guessing these were prone to damage when they came out on location, hence why it was unplugged, and they only made 100.

8 months later
#2468 10 months ago

I'm of the humble opinion that DEGNR is wayyy better than JJPGNR, from every standpoint except the "wow" aspects of the lcd screen and modern controlled lighting. But I don't play the lights or the screen...

Being a "rarer" game that you don't really see on location, or a game that doesn't change hands very frequently, I don't think a lot of people, especially those newer to playing pinball, have experienced the original. I think a lot of people are burned out by the JJP version, and automatically downplay the DE version. Yes, the JJP version is pretty looking, but it's basically a rudimentary jukebox for wealthy collectors to look at, that also happens to have a pinball playfield built-in.

With a color DMD, modern LEDs, and (In my opinion, the optional) Pinsound, it absolutely hangs with modern games. For the roughly $6500ish market price this title commands, you are getting a packed-to-the-gills wide-body game, with a killer theme, that is a bargain compared to most stripped-down Stern Pros. Dare I say it has moved into the sleeper/undervalued category? Aside from the doesn't-actually-contribute-to-the-gameplay "whiz-bang" the JJP has, the DE version is better in every way.

7 months later
#2512 75 days ago

Obviously every game is slightly different (different drill locations for flippers/slings, etc.), but I find the backhand to the add band member scoop to only be easy on a game with tired/worn flippers. The wider flipper travel arc and reduced strength make it conducive to the shot. Try fresh stops and sleeves at a minimum, and you’ll see it’s not a “gimmee” shot.

That said, it “should” be backhandable, but with a very small window of accuracy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grandnational007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-gnr-members-only?tu=Grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.