(Topic ID: 57299)

DE GUNS N' ROSES CLUB - GNR - Members Only!

By MrBellMan

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,526 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by mozach
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GNTWEar (resized).jpg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8675 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0630 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0626 (resized).jpeg
0208241539a (resized).jpg
0208241539 (resized).jpg
IMG_0607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpeg
so_clean_you_could_eat_off_of_it (resized).JPG
IMG_0605 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0595 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1540 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,526 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 51.
#1251 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's a very low bar. Playfield art looks like crap, audio sample rate is terrible, sound package and callouts suffer as a result. It can be beat by almost every metric used to measure.

Well if you play pinball for audio sample rate then maybe you should put back on your Sony Walkman and crank up some of that techno you listen to.

#1252 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Well if you play pinball for audio sample rate then maybe you should put back on your Sony Walkman and crank up some of that techno you listen to.

Um, a MUSIC pin should have decent-sounding MUSIC and calloutouts. GnR is neither - sounds like a bad AM radio station. Again, JJP has a low bar to clear to destroy the original DE one, and with Eric on that one, it should be amazing.

#1253 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Um, a MUSIC pin should have decent-sounding MUSIC and calloutouts. GnR is neither - sounds like a bad AM radio station. Again, JJP has a low bar to clear to destroy the original DE one, and with Eric on that one, it should be amazing.

You’ve obviously never played this game. Regardless, if JJP somehow makes a better GNR than this one, it will be my first NIB, but after seeing the very thin ruleset rolled out on Wonka, well they actually will trip on that low bar you’re referring to.

Would be nice if they pulled it off, but not sure how they can do it based on what JJP has rolled out so far

#1254 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

You’ve obviously never played this game. Regardless, if JJP somehow makes a better GNR than this one, it will be my first NIB, but after seeing the very thin ruleset rolled out on Wonka, well they actually will trip on that low bar you’re referring to.
Would be nice if they pulled it off, but not sure how they can do it based on what JJP has rolled out so far

Yeah, I just *imagined* the scratchy, low-sample-rate samples and ugly art on the playfield. The flippers feel like crap, too, per the Data East standard. jjPotC is an AMAZING feat of pinball(and I don't just fawn over their games, though we've had them all - Hobbit was boring, and Wonka looks like a miss so far) so I have reasonable confidence in Eric pulling off some great work with a GnR pin. Again, the bar is very, very low on the Data East one, so there's not much to do to clear it on a new pin.

I just realized this is a club thread, so I won't be posting any more on this here. We'll see what happens with JJP's version in 5 months.

#1255 4 years ago

The low quality music can be addressed with a PinSound board.

#1256 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The low quality music can be addressed with a PinSound board.

Which actually makes it already better than what JJP will put out as you cant modify their sound nor put a PinSound in their machines, so unless they include every song GNR ever made, the sound will be a downgrade out the box

Again, would be nice if JJP can pull this off, but the timing, play, sound, artwork, etc of this John Borg masterpiece is unlikely to get topped considering it was made in the heyday of pinball and GNR.

#1257 4 years ago

I hope the JJP game is great, but correctly set up DE GNR is awesome.

Sure it could be done better with 2019 technology, but couldn't almost any pin from the early 90's? Pretty much every part of game design has been improved in the last 25 years.

#1258 4 years ago

I'm excited to see what JJP does with their GnR game, but I still think it was an odd choice for them. Why re-use a theme that has already been successfully done when there are so many great themes out there that haven't been touched yet?

#1259 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's a very low bar. Playfield art looks like crap, audio sample rate is terrible, sound package and callouts suffer as a result. It can be beat by almost every metric used to measure.

Who are you trying to convince here? This is like wearing a Yankees jersey to Fenway Park when they are playing Baltimore. Not gonna likely win over anyone.

What are you comparing to anyways? It’s a wide body from 1994, with 3000 produced. Not a common product for the masses anymore. Love or not... there’s the door. This game makes me happy, with near impossible shoes to fill.

#1260 4 years ago

Can't wait for the new GnR. Hopefully we get Frank Ferrer, Melissa Reese, and Richard Fortus all represented in the backglass art. I wonder if they'll go with a braided Axl, braided and fat Axl, or just fat Axl. Bloated Slash should be totally RnR.

Definitely looking forward to hearing all the great tunes they've recorded since 1995. Should be cool hearing all that over and over through a fancy new sound system.

Staring at $9500 maybe?

#1261 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Can't wait for the new GnR. Hopefully we get Frank Ferrer, Melissa Reese, and Richard Fortus all represented in the backglass art. I wonder if they'll go with a braided Axl, braided and fat Axl, or just fat Axl. Bloated Slash should be totally RnR.
Definitely looking forward to hearing all the great tunes they've recorded since 1995. Should be cool hearing all that over and over through a fancy new sound system.
Staring at $9500 maybe?

LOL, pretty much.

GNR is a perennial favorite of mine, but you really nailed it. Nobody really cares about anything after UYI2; hell, I remember when Chinese Democracy FINALLY came out, and there wasn't even a buzz over it. I remember hearing a song or two on the radio, and that was the end of the hype for it. Hell, when I saw them the last tour, I think they may have played a single song released after '94. (For the record, the concert was awesome, show was three hours long and they played probably 40 songs, one after the other, after the other, after the other!)

As for the pin, it's a classic. Simple to understand, packed with shots and features. Good modes and even scoring. Great sounds, good dots. Satisfying shots. The only thing I yearn for would be the ability to stack modes and multiball. (Coma doesn't really count, as it sort of runs in the background if your sixth shot to the band saucer corresponds with starting coma...).

If JJP drops a new GNR, I'm not really sure what direction they would take. I like the games, but they just don't connect with me, if that makes sense. I've played the hell out of WOZ and DI, and I just never feel connected to them. I played WW this past weekend at the NYCPC, and it just felt too kiddie for me. I really like the movie and all, but "Kid Multiball"? Really? The whole thing just seems weird. Based on the previous games, a "new" GNR would probably be a pass for me. We'll see.

Now back to shouting at clouds and telling kids to get off my lawn.

#1262 4 years ago

Yeah the dude that came in here complaining doesn’t own let alone has ever played this game, but I do see he has a single pin WOZ in his collection which is why you’re getting the JJP fanboy comments. But hating on this game because the audio sample rates? Well, must be a lonely world to exclude 98% of all pins ever made.

#1263 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Can't wait for the new GnR. Hopefully we get Frank Ferrer, Melissa Reese, and Richard Fortus all represented in the backglass art.

That would be amazing to give props to their current touring lineup, but prob won't happen due to GnR licensing.

Quoted from Grandnational007:

I think they may have played a single song released after '94. (For the record, the concert was awesome, show was three hours long and they played probably 40 songs, one after the other, after the other, after the other!)

They usually play 3 songs from Chinese in their Not in This Lifetime Tour (Chinese Democracy, Better, and Madagascar)

#1264 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Hopefully we get Frank Ferrer, Melissa Reese, and Richard Fortus all represented in the backglass art.

Zizzle: Frank, Melissa and Fortus
Standard: Finck, Buckethead, Huge/Tobias, Stinson, Brain and Pitman (tambourines, of course)
LE: Matt, Duff, Slash and Gilby
CE: Steven, Duff, Slash and Izzy

(To digress... Jesus Christ, this fucking band...)

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Yeah the dude that came in here complaining doesn’t own let alone has ever played this game, but I do see he has a single pin WOZ in his collection which is why you’re getting the JJP fanboy comments. But hating on this game because the audio sample rates?

While he could've sharpened his argument slightly, he wasn't wrong on his specific points - the playfield/translite art is less than spectacular (my issue I think is mostly with the use of colors) and the stock audio is beyond abysmal. I don't think those invalidate the machine as a whole, though - it's definitely my keeper/grail, and I can't wait to put a JJP GNR next to it.

Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

They usually play 3 songs from Chinese in their Not in This Lifetime Tour (Chinese Democracy, Better, and Madagascar)

Madagascar's 34 plays in 159 shows wouldn't count as "usually." (Thankfully. What a turd. )

#1265 4 years ago

Yeah if he said this machine is a masterpiece and all of us are going to be blown out of the water cuz JJP is going all in to top this masterpiece, I’d be in alignment there. But to claim this machine is a low bar? We’ll then there are only 52 machines that are getting over that low bar according to all of Pinside.

For the record though, this machine smokes most of the Pins in the Top 20

#1266 4 years ago

Who's excited about the mirrored backglass?
I sure as hell am!
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/gnr/

#1267 4 years ago
Quoted from Draegermeister:

I sure as hell am!

Oh damn! That will be pretty awesome. Curious to see it lighted

#1268 4 years ago

I sure as hell am!

Oh damn, I want this.
It says out of stock.
Is this in the process of being made? Or currently sold out?

#1269 4 years ago

Says “Coming Soon”

#1270 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Says “Coming Soon”

Thanks.
Guess I should have read all the way to the bottom.

#1271 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Yeah the dude that came in here complaining doesn’t own let alone has ever played this game, but I do see he has a single pin WOZ in his collection which is why you’re getting the JJP fanboy comments. But hating on this game because the audio sample rates? Well, must be a lonely world to exclude 98% of all pins ever made.

Dude, where did you get the idea I never played Guns N Roses? Or is that was it takes to make you feel better about liking it? Just for the record, I have played it. Many, many times.

I don't update my collection religiously since it changes too much. Have you LOOKED at the history of machines I've owned? There's almost 100 listed, but it's probably over 100 in real life. That's just the ones I could remember owning. In any case, it's substantially longer than the big fat ZERO games in your history. So looking at your sad pin history I could jump to the conclusion that you're a noob with not enough pinball experience to know a mediocre effort. See? Same as you making your ridiculous assertion.

So, yeah, I've played enough pins to know what I like, and I've played enough GnR and Data East to know it's not in that class. But you're welcome to like it. Just don't tell me what I have and haven't played.

#1272 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Dude, where did you get the idea I never played Guns N Roses? Or is that was it takes to make you feel better about liking it? Just for the record, I have played it. Many, many times.
I don't update my collection religiously since it changes too much. Have you LOOKED at the history of machines I've owned? There's almost 100 listed, but it's probably over 100 in real life. That's just the ones I could remember owning. In any case, it's substantially longer than the big fat ZERO games in your history. So looking at your sad pin history I could jump to the conclusion that you're a noob with not enough pinball experience to know a mediocre effort. See? Same as you making your ridiculous assertion.
So, yeah, I've played enough pins to know what I like, and I've played enough GnR and Data East to know it's not in that class. But you're welcome to like it. Just don't tell me what I have and haven't played.

You did the right thing stepping away when you realized this was the GnR club.

#1273 4 years ago

I sure as hell am!

That's pretty cool BUT I mean where does it stop? LOL, I need that like I need a hole in my head but trust me i'm not pissing on it , I "get it" =)

#1274 4 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

That's pretty cool BUT I mean where does it stop? LOL, I need that like I need a hole in my head but trust me i'm not pissing on it , I "get it" =)

It’s stops when the band plays with your pinball machine?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1276 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-6831-XX
#545-5017-00 Is the side rail guides but looks sold out around town

I have a set of stock rails I’m not using but they are powdercoated red.

#1277 4 years ago

Guns 'N Roses ramp update...

I believe everyone who had indicated interest has been contacted for ramps. At the moment I have just enough G ramps to cover everyone, but expect I will see some who no longer want them. R ramps will continue to be made on demand and at the moment I am short R ramps only because I am almost out of the thickness I use for these ramps and my supplier is out of this thickness. I actually have enough to cover everyone on the R ramps, but I do not want to make any more than I need since I'm short.

If you had indicated interest and did not hear from me let me know. There are already a couple Pinsiders that have not responded to the notification so I expect I will end up with 2 or 3 extra G ramps....exactly where I would like to be.

Please, those of you who have been notified that are no longer interested, let me know so I can whittle down the final list.

To all of you who ordered, thank you. Personally?...Whew!

Mark

#1278 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Guns 'N Roses ramp update...
I believe everyone who had indicated interest has been contacted for ramps. At the moment I have just enough G ramps to cover everyone, but expect I will see some who no longer want them. R ramps will continue to be made on demand and at the moment I am short R ramps only because I am almost out of the thickness I use for these ramps and my supplier is out of this thickness. I actually have enough to cover everyone on the R ramps, but I do not want to make any more than I need since I'm short.
If you had indicated interest and did not hear from me let me know. There are already a couple Pinsiders that have not responded to the notification so I expect I will end up with 2 or 3 extra G ramps....exactly where I would like to be.
Please, those of you who have been notified that are no longer interested, let me know so I can whittle down the final list.
To all of you who ordered, thank you. Personally?...Whew!
Mark

Thanks you Mark! What a great job and keeping these for a rainy day

#1279 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Bought a GNR playfield, hoping cpr will accept this for their cad needs and get that playfield released.
[quoted image]

That was my GNR play field - sold it to Kruzman years ago. That thing is beat. Holes all over where they are not suppose to be. Those were my tape spots covering some of the holes that should not be there.

#1280 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

R ramps will continue to be made on demand

Does this mean you won't be producing the G ramp on demand? If that's the case (and if I may ask) what's the reasoning there?

And as already mentioned, thank you again for your work over the last few years on these! Fantastic service you provide to the hobby.

#1281 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Does this mean you won't be producing the G ramp on demand? If that's the case (and if I may ask) what's the reasoning there?

Yellow. I routinely dye ramps blue and red and always have those colors available. The G ramp is the only thing I do in yellow, so I just don't maintain that color actively.

#1282 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yellow. I routinely dye ramps blue and red and always have those colors available. The G ramp is the only thing I do in yellow, so I just don't maintain that color actively.

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, and the ramps!

#1283 4 years ago
Quoted from loanguy7171973:

That was my GNR play field - sold it to Kruzman years ago. That thing is beat. Holes all over where they are not suppose to be. Those were my tape spots covering some of the holes that should not be there.

Glad you sold it, they can't make the new cpr. Playfields without the an original to use for cad data. I plan to use it to help drill the new cpr one I will buy eventually

#1284 4 years ago

Hope I'm not breaking some sort of forum etiquette rule here but just wanted to share a few pics of my "Keith Richards inspired" backline mod on my GNR. I also posted it at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-mods but that thread seems to be dying slowly while this one is still somewhat thriving. My apologies if anyone is offended

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.37.48 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.37.48 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.39.02 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.39.02 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.39.30 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.39.30 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.39.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.39.46 AM (resized).png
#1285 4 years ago

Would like to publicly thank Freeplay40 for the cool new ramps. They look great and I'm gonna begin installing them today. Thanks Mark!

#1286 4 years ago

Nice mod

The only rule you broke is nobody including Slash drinks Budweiser ‍♂️

#1287 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Nice mod
The only rule you broke is nobody including Slash drinks Budweiser ‍♂️

LMAO Neither do I but i wanted to get something instantly recognizable from a distance as those cans aren't very big. I know I got the Jack and the Marlboros right. Looks like he does like Bud as wardrobe at least. The Camels on top the stack must belong to AXL or Dizz ....errrr i mean Gilby
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 9.38.36 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-03 at 9.38.36 AM (resized).png

#1288 4 years ago

Hi everyone I picked up a GNR a while back ,I been looking for texture black spary paint too redo the rails and lock down bar ,I am from Canada Ontario ,we had this stuff here before but now can no find it anywhere does anyone know where they sell this kind of texture black spray paint .

Thanks,

#1289 4 years ago

Rust-Oleum textured black

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
#1290 4 years ago

What is the expectation on demand for the original GnR if JJP comes out with their own version? I have seen more Black Knights come up recently, but not sure if it has affected the overall market value. Thanks.

#1291 4 years ago

Thanks bud I will try that ,I am sure I can buy that in Canada

#1292 4 years ago

Some people still loves the Original GNR just like when they made MM,MB,AFM they still can't make them like data east did or Williams did because they can't afford too do so and sell them today so they are not made today too be around for 30 years just like cars same them

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What is the expectation on demand for the original GnR if JJP comes out with their own version?

In my house, we will have both! You may see some people unload theirs to get the new version, but there is something nostalgic about the old pins (Tommy and Gnr) in our house. Great DE titles

#1294 4 years ago

Just wondering if any of the 10 people that have downloaded my Black Sabbath/Ozzy orchesration on Pinsound are on this thread. Would love some feedback either way. Looking to improve as I make other Pinsound remixes.

Any other themes you think would work well for GnR? Thanks.

#1295 4 years ago

If JJP does release a G N R pinball game. I hope they take their time and not a rush job and let Slash be the pilot on the project. If it's well done as DE. I would buy one. As advanced pinball has become with the video screens etc.. doesn't mean it will be better. As old as DE G n R is. It still looks bad ass and stands out above the rest in arcades. GUNS Is my all time favorite band . Hope Jack has the Best Team on this project along with Slash. I Was not impressed with JJP Pirates/Caribbean. I also own a bally Kiss pinball. I think Stern did a nice job with Kiss remake but wouldn't take much. KISS N AC/DC our on my list of pins to buy. But G N R will be 1st. If it's done very well.

#1296 4 years ago

More JJP GNR speculation From May 28 2019 -

#1297 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't understand why people complain about the sound on GNR lots of people notice when they come over to m house that my GNR sounds better than most of my other music pins.

#1298 4 years ago

This is actually the first guy I heard complain about it. Also Pinsound is available so the sound quality argument just doesn’t exist.

I think the stock Welcome to the jungle is a bit repetitious, even Slash complained about it. But again, Pinsound solves this as well

Even if GNR released a new album exclusively in a new pin, one could leach it and drop it into the Data East with high quality.

So Guns music is not a factor here. I actually like the music in the Iron Maiden better, but wouldn’t trade this pin for a NIB Iron Maiden

#1299 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I don't understand why people complain about the sound on GNR lots of people notice when they come over to m house that my GNR sounds better than most of my other music pins.

me neither, the games 25 years old so it is what it is..... and besides there are other options now. I was initially unhappy with Pinsound a few years ago but now I think its F'N great and can't imagine the game without it now. Something very satisfying about being able customize it to your own liking.

#1300 4 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

More JJP GNR speculation From May 28 2019 -

Kinda makes sense Lawlor would make TS instead of GNR, esp since he just released one.

The companies that did remakes pretty much didn’t mess with the original formula. Since JJP doesn’t have Borg on roster, they are inevitable gonna break from doing a remake and do a JJP original version which could bomb

Seeing cool original footage of the band in the early days that ties into the game might be cool. But some later Fat Axl stuff or cartoon shit like Aerosmith is gonna be a failure to launch.

Hopefully they pull it off though, it will be my first NIB if they do

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
6,693 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,526 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-gnr-members-only/page/26?hl=pinballjah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.