(Topic ID: 57299)

DE GUNS N' ROSES CLUB - GNR - Members Only!

By MrBellMan

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,526 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by mozach
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GNTWEar (resized).jpg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8675 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0630 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0626 (resized).jpeg
0208241539a (resized).jpg
0208241539 (resized).jpg
IMG_0607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpeg
so_clean_you_could_eat_off_of_it (resized).JPG
IMG_0605 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0595 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1540 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,526 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 51.
#851 6 years ago

Hello, Just did a nvram in my game and now will not start a game, no dmd . Just has gi lights and backbox lights , ugg confused ,, recently had all boards done by Chris hibler , games was playing fine but had coin door message even after rehooking the remote battery holder . Went with nvram -now this

Jim

#852 6 years ago

You probably did this already but maybe double check that all the pins are aligned and none are bent. I've made this mistake before. Also, sounds dumb but I also put one in the wrong socket (empty one above or below) once. Lastly, may be a bad chip. Do you have another NVRAM to try?

#853 6 years ago
Quoted from Heisman:

It did not, now I’ll spend my whole life looking for an original topper lol. I prob overpaid for mine by a couple hundred but it was a local pick up so no shipping and owned by a collector. So much fun!

why anybody would pay lots of money for this crappy topper i'll never understand. most overpriced piece of plastic in pinball.

#854 6 years ago
Quoted from jq-pinner77:

Hello, Just did a nvram in my game and now will not start a game, no dmd . Just has gi lights and backbox lights , ugg confused ,, recently had all boards done by Chris hibler , games was playing fine but had coin door message even after rehooking the remote battery holder . Went with nvram -now this
Jim

sounds like you blew a fuse when hooking it up

#855 5 years ago

I'm looking for two plastics ... The "Snake Pit" plastic that goes over the left shooter lane, and the one with Slash doing the splits in the upper right corner. For the "Snake Pit" one, I only need the plastic, not the entire assembly. NOS or an unused repro would be preferred ...

Snake Pit plastic (resized).jpgSnake Pit plastic (resized).jpg
Slash (resized).jpgSlash (resized).jpg

#856 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm looking for two plastics ... The "Snake Pit" plastic that goes over the left shooter lane, and the one with Slash doing the splits in the upper right corner. For the "Snake Pit" one, I only need the plastic, not the entire assembly. NOS or an unused repro would be preferred ...

I had to replace the upper right Slash doing splits plastic as well but had to break down and buy the entire plastics set to get it.

#857 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I had to replace the upper right Slash doing splits plastic as well but had to break down and buy the entire plastics set to get it.

I've had to do that for other games in the past. Unfortunately, I don't think the entire set is available anywhere at the moment, so that may not even be an option for me.

#858 5 years ago

edit...never mind found it.

3 weeks later
#859 5 years ago

Hi There
I am looking for a "Nylon Flange Bearing", part-number 545-5492-00. It looks like this part is not listed in any shop worldwide. I would be very grateful if someone could send me such a part, or could tell me where I could get one. Also to the whole trap door assembly I would not say no . Thanks!

2 weeks later
#860 5 years ago

The music on my gnr sometimes doesn't play. I hear axel singing but that is it.

Diags plays the music fine.

Reseated audio cables no change.

What else should I be checking or is this a software bug?

#861 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

The music on my gnr sometimes doesn't play. I hear axel singing but that is it.
Diags plays the music fine.
Reseated audio cables no change.
What else should I be checking or is this a software bug?

Pull the sound ROMs, clean the pins if needed and reseat 'em.

#862 5 years ago
Quoted from retrosys:

Hi There
I am looking for a "Nylon Flange Bearing", part-number 545-5492-00. It looks like this part is not listed in any shop worldwide. I would be very grateful if someone could send me such a part, or could tell me where I could get one. Also to the whole trap door assembly I would not say no . Thanks!

got a pic? not many people are going to go digging thru the book to look up the part

#863 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

got a pic? not many people are going to go digging thru the book to look up the part

yes, its number 3 in this pic.

44820350-F339-4F9D-B1E4-73C07194DA84 (resized).png44820350-F339-4F9D-B1E4-73C07194DA84 (resized).png
4 weeks later
#864 5 years ago

I love the GNR magnets. You can vote for them on the TWIP poll as best magnets here.
https://goo.gl/forms/0BWu1FcxnI1ozMiE2

#865 5 years ago
Quoted from Draegermeister:

I love the GNR magnets. You can vote for them on the TWIP poll as best magnets here.
https://goo.gl/forms/0BWu1FcxnI1ozMiE2

Love GnR magnets myself but I'd give my vote to TAF.

#866 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

ove GnR magnets myself but I'd give my vote to TAF.

+1 on that, G&R and LAH are great but they aren't really there for any reason, on TAF they are "the power" even on Godzilla they are his radioactive breath

2 weeks later
#867 5 years ago

So, I'm a novice at repairing pins but LED's I can handle replacing. The general illumination on GNR, they're (soddered, glued?) directly to the playfield. No easy unscrewing them. I don't exactly what you'd call that. There has to be a thread about this and how to handle replacing them somewhere right?? Please help!

#868 5 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

+1 on that, G&R and LAH are great but they aren't really there for any reason, on TAF they are "the power" even on Godzilla they are his radioactive breath

Sure they are. Magnets are simulating a pit at a GnR show.

#869 5 years ago
Quoted from Philly76:

So, I'm a novice at repairing pins but LED's I can handle replacing. The general illumination on GNR, they're (soddered, glued?) directly to the playfield. No easy unscrewing them. I don't exactly what you'd call that. There has to be a thread about this and how to handle replacing them somewhere right?? Please help!

There are no shortcuts to bulb replacement on GNR, they are stapled sockets, so you can't go under the playfield and change them, you have to strip the topside plastics and ramps to get to the GI.

#870 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

There are no shortcuts to bulb replacement on GNR, they are stapled sockets, so you can't go under the playfield and change them, you have to strip the topside plastics and ramps to get to the GI.

DataEast gets a thumbs down for this! Thanks Shackler

#871 5 years ago
Quoted from Philly76:

DataEast gets a thumbs down for this! Thanks Shackler

Yeah, it was not a smart move. They later changed it to the rubber and a screw, which makes changing bulbs a breeze. I suppose nobody bats 1000, they did a lot of things right with the game with only a couple boners. It's amazing that the code and game basically runs off a system 11 board set.

#872 5 years ago

Is there a way to test the magnets on the game to make sure they are working?

#873 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Is there a way to test the magnets on the game to make sure they are working?

It's in the test menu.

#874 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

It's in the test menu.

Do you just visualize if they are spinning and/or put a ball on the playfield?

#875 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Do you just visualize if they are spinning and/or put a ball on the playfield?

loosely cup a ball under your fingers on top of the playfield on top of each of the 3 magnets, then press the button in the test menu to pulse the magnet. Make sure you have the coin door switch pulled out to activate the 50v. You will hear and feel it move if working. Don't forget there is a separate fuse for each magnet under the playfield. If it's blowing fuses frequently or pulsing weakly, you might have to change the small controller board under the playfield or the power supply board.

#876 5 years ago

Ok, so possibly looking at getting this game. I hear a lot of you like it, but whats great about it?

Besides being Guns & Roses and having good music, what is the object of the game? What makes it a keeper?

#877 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Ok, so possibly looking at getting this game. I hear a lot of you like it, but whats great about it?
Besides being Guns & Roses and having good music, what is the object of the game? What makes it a keeper?

We have a pretty solid lineup of pins in our house and this is one of our favorates.

First and foremost, the machine is solid as a tank and it’s a wide body to boot.
The rule set is fairly simple, yet complex at the same time. It’s a very easy game to teach to your “non pinball” friends where they could get the hang of it fairly quickly and play a solid match.
All that being said, it never gets old for me.
The modes are on the guitar neck and hitting the pop bumpers changes the mode. You can also lock in a mode by pulling the trigger on the gun during game play. This constantly changes your strategy as at the beginning of each ball you can select a feature on the game. Say you locked in extra ball during your last ball for instance. Then you might want to select start guitar feature which would give you and extra ball at ball launch. Another one would be if your close to getting all of the band members on stage and getting a multi ball you might want to select the mega pops which will give you 2 million point pop bumpers with all the balls in play and it gets crazy.
The game is simple yet complex and a lot of fun.
It built as well as any Bally/Williams game from this era.
One awesome trick that you will learn is cradling the ball on the right flipper and quickly smacking it up the lane for add a band member. Once you get that shot down you start adding band members really quickly to get multi balls and it’s a lot of fun.
Anyhow hope you get it because it’s an awesome game.

#878 5 years ago

I have the original drawings for the side art.....if you look on pinball database at the bottom of the pictures is the original hand drawings by marks.

#879 5 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

We have a pretty solid lineup of pins in our house and this is one of our favorates.
First and foremost, the machine is solid as a tank and it’s a wide body to boot.
The rule set is fairly simple, yet complex at the same time. It’s a very easy game to teach to your “non pinball” friends where they could get the hang of it fairly quickly and play a solid match.
All that being said, it never gets old for me.
The modes are on the guitar neck and hitting the pop bumpers changes the mode. You can also lock in a mode by pulling the trigger on the gun during game play. This constantly changes your strategy as at the beginning of each ball you can select a feature on the game. Say you locked in extra ball during your last ball for instance. Then you might want to select start guitar feature which would give you and extra ball at ball launch. Another one would be if your close to getting all of the band members on stage and getting a multi ball you might want to select the mega pops which will give you 2 million point pop bumpers with all the balls in play and it gets crazy.
The game is simple yet complex and a lot of fun.
It built as well as any Bally/Williams game from this era.
One awesome trick that you will learn is cradling the ball on the right flipper and quickly smacking it up the lane for add a band member. Once you get that shot down you start adding band members really quickly to get multi balls and it’s a lot of fun.
Anyhow hope you get it because it’s an awesome game.

Wow, thanks for the detailed review Coindork . Ok, guess I need to eat Top Ramen tonight and all week so I can afford this. Yeah I’m liking the Metallica but not so much the Iron Maiden. I think there is something to be said about the 90’s replay quality vs current machines. I just played the Alice Cooper machine tho and that was solid

#880 5 years ago
Quoted from chris111:

I have the original drawings for the side art.....if you look on pinball database at the bottom of the pictures is the original hand drawings by marks.

I used to own these many years back along with an NOS playfield.

#881 5 years ago

Does anyone have a roached Guns n Roses playfield for sale. I am builging up a GNR from scratch and need a playfield. I actually have most of the parts needed, but a pf seems to be the hardest to find. Not looking for NOS.

#882 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Does anyone have a roached Guns n Roses playfield for sale. I am builging up a GNR from scratch and need a playfield. I actually have most of the parts needed, but a pf seems to be the hardest to find. Not looking for NOS.

Dear lordloss here you find a link to an advertise.

https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/guns-and-roses-used-playfield.195950/

I think the playfield is located in Portugal. Dont know details about the seller.

All the best

#883 5 years ago

I’m thinking of buying this speaker kit that’s on eBay https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Pinball-Pro-Speaker-kit-for-Data-East-Guns-N-Roses-Tommy-pinball-machine-/263813834756
but I want to keep the original music so not interested in pinsound. Has anyone installed these speakers into their game and is it a worthwhile exercise?

#885 5 years ago
Quoted from RYSR:

loosely cup a ball under your fingers on top of the playfield on top of each of the 3 magnets, then press the button in the test menu to pulse the magnet. Make sure you have the coin door switch pulled out to activate the 50v. You will hear and feel it move if working. Don't forget there is a separate fuse for each magnet under the playfield. If it's blowing fuses frequently or pulsing weakly, you might have to change the small controller board under the playfield or the power supply board.

Tested my magnets and all are working though I'm wondering if there is anyway to turn up their power at all. It seems like when first obtained this pin the magnets were quite noticeable during gameplay but not as much any more which is why I asked about testing them originally. If I recall they are primarily active during Dizzy Ball but I don't know any other times during gameplay.

#886 5 years ago

I used to own these many years back along with an NOS playfield.</blockquote

Haha ..hey bud I got it off u then! We'll I've got the body of the machine drawings...u want to buy it back for an inflated price ....give me a hand to shift this Simpsons playfield whilst ur here haha

#887 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’m thinking of buying this speaker kit that’s on eBay https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Pinball-Pro-Speaker-kit-for-Data-East-Guns-N-Roses-Tommy-pinball-machine-/263813834756
but I want to keep the original music so not interested in pinsound. Has anyone installed these speakers into their game and is it a worthwhile exercise?

I have the Flipper Fidelity set in mine, which are pretty comparable to the Pinball Pro. I think it was an excellent upgrade. The pin sounds great.

#888 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Tested my magnets and all are working though I'm wondering if there is anyway to turn up their power at all. It seems like when first obtained this pin the magnets were quite noticeable during gameplay but not as much any more which is why I asked about testing them originally. If I recall they are primarily active during Dizzy Ball but I don't know any other times during gameplay.

Magnets should be active during all multi-ball modes. (At least, I think... definitely on the Band Member and Riot modes... and I believe on the Axl 3-ball mode as well, along with Dizzy.)

I recommend the upgraded magnet board from Great Lakes Modular.

#889 5 years ago
Quoted from h2owe:

Dear lordloss here you find a link to an advertise.
https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/guns-and-roses-used-playfield.195950/
I think the playfield is located in Portugal. Dont know details about the seller.
All the best

Thanks, i sent him a message. Hopefully he responds.

#890 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Magnets should be active during all multi-ball modes. (At least, I think... definitely on the Band Member and Riot modes... and I believe on the Axl 3-ball mode as well, along with Dizzy.)

I had bought a spare power supply board for another DE pin and installed it in the G&R first, it made a big difference in the strength of the magnets. I had previously replaced the bridge rectifier and Capacitor on the PPB board which supplies the 50v to the magnets and it made no difference, also changed the Magnet controller board as well as the 3 Magnets, and it made no difference. After replacing the Power Supply Board the strength improved.

#891 5 years ago
Quoted from RYSR:

I had bought a spare power supply board for another DE pin and installed it in the G&amp;R first, it made a big difference in the strength of the magnets. I had previously replaced the bridge rectifier and Capacitor on the PPB board which supplies the 50v to the magnets and it made no difference, also changed the Magnet controller board as well as the 3 Magnets, and it made no difference. After replacing the Power Supply Board the strength improved.

Just found the board and it appears to cost $60. If it helps, I'm certainly always willing to upgrade any boards just for overall reliability in any pinball with the best part being better functionality during play. Nearly all of the boards in my 1979 KISS are updated just for stability and long term reliability.

#892 5 years ago

Where did you guys buy your new power supply boards from?

#893 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Just found the board and it appears to cost $60. If it helps, I'm certainly always willing to upgrade any boards just for overall reliability in any pinball with the best part being better functionality during play. Nearly all of the boards in my 1979 KISS are updated just for stability and long term reliability.

I emailed [email protected] a few days ago but haven't heard back on the availability of the power board for the magnets.

#894 5 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

Where did you guys buy your new power supply boards from?

I got mine from Xpinpinball.com at the last Pinfest show in Allentown,PA.

#895 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

prob your balls, change them!

#896 5 years ago
Quoted from RYSR:

I got mine from Xpinpinball.com at the last Pinfest show in Allentown,PA.

I see Xpinpinball.com has 2 different boards for GNR. I assume the power of the magnets depends on the replacement power supply board supplying current to generate the magnetic field....

One is labeled as a replacement power supply board:
https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-de5047/

The other isn't labeled for it's function so I'm not sure what the specific function of this board is:
https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-deppb/

#897 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I see Xpinpinball.com has 2 different boards for GNR. I assume the power of the magnets depends on the replacement power supply board supplying current to generate the magnetic field....
The other isn't labeled for it's function so I'm not sure what the specific function of this board is:

The first Link is the PSB Power Supply board the second link is the PPB Playfield power board

#898 5 years ago
Quoted from BurnDizzyBurn:

The first Link is the PSB Power Supply board the second link is the PPB Playfield power board

Which one powers the magnets? Thanks in advance

#899 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

The xp-de5047 is the main power supply that increased my magnet strength. It doesn't make sense to me why this board helped it's mainly the lower supply voltages 5 volt to CPU, and the DMD power, but it did work for me..

The xp-deppb is the PPB board that supplies the 50v to the magnets, ( and also has the high current TIP36 switches on it) that's the one I said I replaced the bridge rectifier and capacitor on. But it did not fix my magnet strength.

#900 5 years ago

Since I installed a new axl cliffy, 90 percent of the kickouts go sdtm anybody else have this issue and know how to mitigate it?? thanks you in advance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

8,000 (OBO)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,526 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-gnr-members-only/page/18?hl=billrz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.