(Topic ID: 57299)

DE GUNS N' ROSES CLUB - GNR - Members Only!

By MrBellMan

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,526 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by mozach
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GNTWEar (resized).jpg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8675 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0630 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0626 (resized).jpeg
0208241539a (resized).jpg
0208241539 (resized).jpg
IMG_0607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpeg
so_clean_you_could_eat_off_of_it (resized).JPG
IMG_0605 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0595 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1540 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,526 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 51.
#1 10 years ago

Not sure if there was a previous "members only" thread. I searched, but don't see one. If so I apologize.

So, I'm a new owner of this game. I had been looking for a nice GNR for some time, but I either never had the cash at the time or they were just not available in my area. I traded my TZ for this one last week and am very happy! I'm now looking for playing tips, game strategies, upgrades to the machine, etc... I did see the GNR Mods thread and that was nice, but I'm looking for more/different details. For example:

I have the older shooter ramp (re-chromed and like new) that will be staying with the game, but noticed if the game is raised too high, the ball will not make the ramp and get stuck in the shooter lane (known issue). The question, is there a stronger coil that can be installed to make the shooter more powerful? I have lowered the back of the machine and it works fine now, but the balls roll slower down the playfield.

There is an Extra Ball button below the start button... When is it used? I have played 50 games and it never Prompted me to use it (like TZ did). Please don't laugh...

Have you upgraded your speakers and did it make a big enough difference to justify buying them?

Does your ball get stuck behind the gate where the backstage light insert is? Mine does and I think that may be related to how high the game was raised/lowered.

I find the "Mystery Mode" has the biggest bang for the buck... What do you think?

That's all for now.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

I should have one within the next couple of weeks. I couldn't find one in nice shape within 500 mikes of here, so i am going to have to have one shipped. I played it for the first time at PAGG and decided I had to have one. I didn't know they were this expensive, or I may not have played it.
I will post back here when I get it. I am interested in hearing about mods for it as well. I think a shaker would be great, but I haven't been able to find any info about it searching here.

#3 10 years ago

You won't find too many members, as GnR was an LE right out of the gate. But long after the other recent rock pins are crumbling in the boneyard, this one will only be increasing it's legendary status.
It was my first pin, and I have no desire to ever part with it.

#4 10 years ago

Gnfnr right here!

Got a nice one. No pf wear, original topper and yes I put stronger coils in it.

Never selling.

#5 10 years ago

opps....Sorry, wrong room.

#6 10 years ago

Picking a GNR about 7 hours from now! I can't freaking wait!! Which coil is the stronger one for the shooter. The current owner explained what sounded like a weak coil condition

#7 10 years ago

Future member and not a shy lurker.
Huge GnR fan back in late 80's early 90's - seen them live 2x during that period.

I've played two GnR and am positioning to get one this year.
The owner just needs to take my buddies trade and then it's heading my way after he gets thru it.

Waiting blows

#8 10 years ago

I've had GnR in my hours since 1999. It's one of the few games I know I'll never part with until I'm forced to move on from the hobby.

It's out with Paul from WannaPinball.com for a full cleaning, LED install, and service.

#9 10 years ago

I would love to own a GNRs but their so hard to come by in Australia........

#10 10 years ago

Fellow owner here.
It amazing how much this game has went up in value over the years. I remember about 13 years ago selling a gnr for $1750, now fast forward to 2013 and i had to pay almost 3x that amount for mine.

Upgrades ive done to mine.
Pinball pro speakers, yes it makes a difference.
Light up snake mod. Looks great should have been this way from the factory.
Im adding the stronger flipper coil today, it arrived yesterday.
Backboard mirror plastic installed.

My playing strategy is to try to collect band mmbers first. Once im close to getting multiball, usually ball 3, i pick at ball launch super pops. With multiball going, its easy to rack up a big score with super pops and multiball going.

As for your extra ball button. Its in your adjustments menu. Its a Buy in option more so if you were paying to play. Lots of pins manufactured in that era had that option. Personally i dont like it, and disable it on my games. If i cant use he option in a tournament then i dont want the handicap of the buy in option.

I know this goes against this thread, but im thinking of selling mine. Ive got a really good lead on a sweet tspp that is huo. Its been on my want list for a while and the price is right.

#11 10 years ago

Here are some crapy pics of my SWEET machine!

IMG_8252.JPGIMG_8252.JPG IMG_8254.jpgIMG_8254.jpg IMG_8256.JPGIMG_8256.JPG

#12 10 years ago

More

IMG_8261.JPGIMG_8261.JPG IMG_8262.JPGIMG_8262.JPG IMG_8263.JPGIMG_8263.JPG

#13 10 years ago

On my third one. My current GNR is HUO and came from one the original bands guitar techs. He received it as a gift and played it a handful of times. The thing looks like the day it came out of the box.

#14 10 years ago

Hoping to be a near future owner. I know of one, but the guy isn't sure he wants to part with it. It's non-working at the time, but pf is real nice. Cabinet is pretty decent. He's looking for an offer. Any suggestions where to start with pricing? How much are they going for? I had a chance about 5 years ago to get one for $1800, Told the guy I needed a day to think about it. Obviously I shouldn't have because it was sold when I called back.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Gunner:

On my third one. My current GNR is HUO and came from one the original bands guitar techs. He received it as a gift and played it a handful of times. The thing looks like the day it came out of the box.

I knew one of their techs. Phil. He was a good dude. Don't think he was the original tech though.

Chris

#16 10 years ago

I've owned mine since 1997. Found a prototype translight for it about 10 years ago.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

100_0259.JPG100_0259.JPG

#17 10 years ago

Hi guys, Gnr was the third pin I ever bought. 400+ games later its still the one I've had the longest. Recently got a Metallica Le and I'm wondering if I've out grown Gnr. Was on route for a short period of time and huo since the late 90s.. No play field wear. Maybe some LEDs will spruce it up and get me re interested in her.

#18 10 years ago

That is cool! I'm still thinking about one of these though...

1.JPG1.JPG 2.JPG2.JPG

#19 10 years ago

For people looking, I sold a friends prototype Gnr to treasure cove a while ago. They may still have it

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I played it for the first time at PAGG

That was my GnR at PAGG so add me to the club. I really like mine and don't plan on parting with it anytime soon. I haven't upgraded much on the pin. I do plan on upgrading the speakers at some point and plan on adding a larger sub for it as well.
For the coil issue, I took my coil off and removed some windings (Approx 65-70) to make the shooter coil stronger and it greatly reduced the amount of times the balls stack up in the shooter lane.

#21 10 years ago

GNR was one of the first pins I bought, I chose it over a TOTAN for the same price, same condition. The whole package is unparalleled, it stood alone for nearly 2 decades as the only real "rock" pin until ACDC and MET came along, and like MET it is a Borg design with Lyman's participation as well. It is the only game with 3 mid-field magnets slinging 2-to-6 ball multiball every which way.

I've gone thorough a round of trying to brighten up the game, being 20 years old... really hesitant to go LED which would affect the light show. I'm not yet convinced this game is a good candidate for LEDs, but I think it can be done somehow.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

who has these for sale ?!?!

#23 10 years ago

I have a grand one!!! Ill post pics soon!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

GNR was one of the first pins I bought, I chose it over a TOTAN for the same price, same condition. The whole package is unparalleled, it stood alone for nearly 2 decades as the only real "rock" pin until ACDC and MET came along, and like MET it is a Borg design with Lyman's participation as well. It is the only game with 3 mid-field magnets slinging 2-to-6 ball multiball every which way.
I've gone thorough a round of trying to brighten up the game, being 20 years old... really hesitant to go LED which would affect the light show. I'm not yet convinced this game is a good candidate for LEDs, but I think it can be done somehow.

What about kiss or tommy?

Taf has 3 magnets as well.

Btw I think the game looks good with LEDs. Replaced all bulbs with LEDs in mine except the backbox. (Didn't care for em there at all!)

#25 10 years ago

I'm in the Club! I love my new G&R and agree its the total package. Its great to talk strategy since there are so many different ways to score. That, coupled with the music, coolness factor and its great look make this an A+ pin.

#26 10 years ago

I'm far from an LED fan, but this game is fantastic with LEDs. I think it's because of all the different colors, and the size of the inserts don't force the LEDs to disperse the light much.

Next time you order from pinball life, spend $5 and pick up a couple for the modes, a couple for the cross, and a few others. Install them and decide for yourself.

Quoted from Baiter:

really hesitant to go LED which would affect the light show. I'm not yet convinced this game is a good candidate for LEDs, but I think it can be done somehow.

#28 10 years ago

It's a 1994 got my in 1997 for 1400 and still have and love the game all around

#29 10 years ago

I love this game and want one someday. Debating about this one or TZ or Metallica as next game. Love the ramps in this game.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I've owned mine since 1997. Found a prototype translight for it about 10 years ago.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

Definitely one of my all-time favorite pins. I played this at the UF student arcade when it was first released, and it was my first major purchase after I graduated. Purchased mine in 97 as a re-boxed demo unit from a distributor, topper was still in plastic inside, had new-pin smell, etc. I have the upgraded Rev 3 shooter lane installed.

Prototype translite is cool because it's different and a proto, but it has continuity problems and no doubt why it was rejected and scrapped. You've got Axl, Duff and Slash in the middle from a 1988 photo, with a Gilby and Matt photo-bomb who joined years later! Also, you've got a depiction of the 1991 Ritz warm-up show, with Izzy!!! in it, who had been out of the band for years when the pin was being made. The graphic artist who mocked that up didn't do their homework and was wasting their effort, as it would never have been approved at that time (the final legs of the 93 tour was the period where Axl took a minimum of 10 minutes every show to just trash Izzy from the stage, usually as an intro to Double Talkin Jive).

It's just a fantastic pin with great features, great shots, art, sound and a very well-rounded ruleset.

Not to mention, along with SFTD, this was the last official studio effort of Axl/Slash, with the Ain't Going Down new recording of an old demo. I love the Orin Day stories about Axl and all the things he refused to say during the custom speech and soundtrack recording sessions!

#31 10 years ago

Well hello, welcome to the jungle I guess. Love this game

0-7.jpeg0-7.jpeg 0-1-1.jpeg0-1-1.jpeg 0-2.jpeg0-2.jpeg

#32 10 years ago

If anyone bought one please share a pic installed. Curious

#33 10 years ago

Does anyone know what is takes to add a shaker motor to this pin?

#34 10 years ago

Has anyone bought one of these. If so are they good quality? Tempted to buy one and even got the thumbs up from the wife

#35 10 years ago

I think the one at PAGG had that one on it. I don't remember if it looked that way in person, but in the ebay pic, the girl's panties look to be drawn on (the one on the left). Makes it look a little funky to me.

#36 10 years ago

There a little dark hope u can see

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 10 years ago

A few more

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#38 10 years ago

I laser cut some nice thick protectors, a little oversized beccouse I like the look.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from todler:

Has anyone bought one of these. If so are they good quality? Tempted to buy one and even got the thumbs up from the wife

That's my thought too. I want to see one in person or see a picture of it installed in the game and get some real feedback from owners before I buy one. My games has a NOS translite installed and I'm very happy with it, but I do lovez the ladies...

And for those GNR owners past and present that complain that they get tired of hearing "Welcome to the Jungle" over and over, I have one thing to share. I have owned this game now for over a week and I'm already tired of hearing "Well, well, well my Michelle"... Yeah, I suck! LOL!

#40 10 years ago

I'd like to add a shaker motor too. Where is the best place to get one? The game looks great with LEDs. Gonna add mirror blades too.

I heard the Slash figure is McFarlane?

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

I'd like to add a shaker motor too. Where is the best place to get one? The game looks great with LEDs. Gonna add mirror blades too.

Yea the slash figure is McFarland ( stupid expensive though) I made a nice laser cut stand for him. At least you can use the amps for mods too.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

That's my thought too. I want to see one in person or see a picture of it installed in the game and get some real feedback from owners before I buy one. My games has a NOS translite installed and I'm very happy with it, but I do lovez the ladies...

You can come over to my place and check mine out and play some pins during the visit. I live in Vacaville so the drive wouldn't be bad for you.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

You can come over to my place and check mine out and play some pins during the visit. I live in Vacaville so the drive wouldn't be bad for you.

Thanks Loren. We are in Vacaville quite often as we love both the shopping outlets and the Sonic drive in! I remember when you picked up that GNR last year. Nice find!

I'll let you know next time we are in town and hopefully we can stop by.

Thanks!

Rob

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

There a little dark hope u can see

Without getting fresh.....I like your pop bumpers. How did you do them?

#46 10 years ago

I SO hate "well, well, well my Michelle"

#47 10 years ago

Yes drains there some of the Time

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Hi guys, Gnr was the third pin I ever bought. 400+ games later its still the one I've had the longest. Recently got a Metallica Le and I'm wondering if I've out grown Gnr. Was on route for a short period of time and huo since the late 90s.. No play field wear. Maybe some LEDs will spruce it up and get me re interested in her.

if ya don't want it heaps of people do like me

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Shaker motor...hmm where would I hook that up so it works right? Someone get hold of pinbits to get on this before I sell mine lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 78.50
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
6,693 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
There are 2,526 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-gnr-members-only and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.