(Topic ID: 269011)

Guns n' Roses - all coils just died, fuses seem fine?

By Rob-R

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey folks - I'm stuck and would love any help you might have to offer.

My Guns N' Roses pin was working fine when I noticed one of the piano keys had broken. I swapped it out with my last available replacement and put the playfield back in the machine. Turned it on: everything seems fine, but it won't play.

Specifically, it doesn't try and eject the ball. I checked the trough and the balls for a while, mainly because the ball launcher was firing so I assumed it was just the ejector. However, when I went into diagnostics two things became apparent: nothing happens when "flashers" cycle*, and nothing happens when "cycling coils". I tried going coil by coil, and nothing. Using the flippers to go through the menus, the right flipper seems to work, but the left flipper barely moves.

I've visually inspected all the fuses, especially F5, and none look burned out. I'm not sure what I could have done with the simple operation I performed, but I'm stumped and devastated that I've temporarily killed my machine.

Thanks in advance.

*I'm assuming flashers are the large lamps behind the translight. All lights come on fine with the exception of the large lamps - those never come on through any diagnostics.

#2 3 years ago

Fuse clip.
DE fuse clips are very brittle.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Fuse clip.
DE fuse clips are very brittle.

FWIW, I did a continuity test across all fuses and found F7 on the "A" board to be bad. Replaced it; no luck.

How do I find a bad fuse clip?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob-R:

FWIW, I did a continuity test across all fuses and found F7 on the "A" board to be bad. Replaced it; no luck.

How do I find a bad fuse clip?

You replaced the fuse or the fuse clip ?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

You replaced the fuse or the fuse clip ?

The fuse itself. I haven't done anything with fuse clips. While possible that lifting up the playfield shook something like a fuse clip loose, I'm worried that maybe a cable was pinched or a solder joint broke. I haven't found anything like that visually, though.

#6 3 years ago

Carefully remove the fuse. Reinstall it. If it snaps into place the holder is fine. If not, fuse clip can be pinched together temporarily but needs to be replaced for reliability.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#7 3 years ago

Check the white buttons inside the coin door. I have actually pushed it in by accident and same thing happened.

#8 3 years ago

The high voltage interlock switch that turns off the coils when you open the coin door may be the culprit.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. All the fuses seem tight to pull out / put in, so I think the holders are good. The coin door was another good suggestion. Unfortunately it does appropriately say the high-voltage playfield is disabled when I open the door, so I think the switch is working. I had hoped that might be it. Still stuck.

1 week later
#10 3 years ago

To close this out: I replaced all fuses that were involved with coils or flashers just in case, but nothing different. When I was working on the machine, one of the balls fell out and before I put it back in I started the machine and noticed a few more coils were working than I realized - mainly the kickouts. For fun I started a game and used the ball in my hand to put it in the kickouts and indeed they all seemed full strength. After doing it a few times... Everything started working again. I have no idea what was wrong.

Any ideas?

#11 3 years ago

Crappy connection at the solenoid power fuse clip would be my suspect.
--
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-all-coils-just-died-fuses-seem-fine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.