(Topic ID: 134141)

Guns and Roses PinSound board from France.

By dannunz

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by HighwayStarr
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gnr_end_game_audio.jpg
elvis_is_dead.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HighwayStarr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 4 years ago

got mine about 10 days ago ... found it somewhat frustrating although installing was fairly simple except for the location of the data east sound card but its doable, its just a little cramped getting it in there .... I've had zero luck with the GNR.zip file from the pinsound site ... i tried installing it to the flash drive zipped and and unzipped multiple times but i get a error that states "there are no .wav flies on this flash drive" when it boots up ....However i was able to get both of the flies from the forum to work but haven't figured out how to change back and forth on fly yet .... overall it looks like a great idea but it will take some time and patience to get it how i want it and I just haven't had time to sit down and really dig in yet ..... here a few cons for people considering buying one that i didn't think about until I got mine .

1. all sound/voulume control is now done from the backbox instead of reaching inside the coin door ..that is IMO a pain in the A$$ if you have multiple machines side by side and really even if you dont
2. there are several knobs on the card itself that need to be adjusted to your liking (maybe not a con depending on how you look at it)
3. flash drive port on card is in awkward position and you will be inserting and removing it a lot ... again you need to have room to get into the back box and remove the backglass every time.
4. the sound FXs are not real time .. example if you hit the sling shot the ball is all ready redirected on the play field before you hear the sound effect
5. the bootup time has been mentioned before but really doesn't bother me .... just thought i would point it out

overall i think once i get it figured out it can really be cool ... however I really hope u can truly change the files on the fly and be able to mute or lower volume of the game without removing the backglasss everytime. with my setup I have pull the game out with my lift to access the backbox ...... ugh!

"of course that's my opinion, i could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

For those that haven't, here is my mix.

I Like it! ...now where do i download it?

all kidding aside i would be thrilled if i could simply just get the default GNR file from pinsound.org to work ..

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Is it ok to put Van Halen Eruption for the slash solo mode? It sounds awsome I must say lol

its your game ...do whatever you want

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

HighwayStarr :
try my mix (less or no delay files)...
You can still use the same pot to adjust volume. Once i adjusted the pinsound board pots to my likes, it's done
i dont touch them again then.
Of course, did you download the latest firmware ?

Julien .... I have your mix currently . Yes i did update the firmware

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Add in a USB extension cable. I think the one I used is 9 feet. Run it down into the cabinet and up to the front where you can access it inside the coin door.
It's a must-have when you really get into tweaking and testing your mix.

good idea blackjacker , I didnt think about that ... now if only there were a cable i can use as a mute/vol button

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Just going to throw in my experience...
My Pinsound wouldn't convert any of the GNR .zip files. Turned out to be a faulty thumb drive that shipped with the unit. Before all was said and done, the thumb drive was reading 192mb....
Switching out thumb drives is an easy and viable troubleshooting step with this board.

Cool .. Thanks for the tip. I've only tried the drive they shipped with it ...ill try another first of the week... Too much else going on this weekend. I did add the extension cable though as black jacker suggested

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Just going to throw in my experience...
My Pinsound wouldn't convert any of the GNR .zip files. Turned out to be a faulty thumb drive that shipped with the unit. Before all was said and done, the thumb drive was reading 192mb....
Switching out thumb drives is an easy and viable troubleshooting step with this board.

meh .... tried a completely different thumb drive ... same result ... an annoying alarm tone and voice saying "there are no .wav files in the audio directory" .... that was with both the "*.zip file only on the drive and I also tried unzipping the files and putting them directly in the audio directory ..but got same annoying result .... I also notice when these filesa re unzipped I can see the individual files and folder names but when I click/open them there is nothing there .... 0 bytes ...... what the heck am I doing wrong?

anyone??? little help please?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Did you download your .zip via the link below, from http://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/data-east-r3/guns-n-roses/ ?
elvis_is_dead.jpg
That just downloads an empty folder structure. Just gives you the basic layout, but no audio.
The pinsound-community.org site has the folder structure including the original sounds.

heh

Hmmmmm... OK so that would be the "Guns_and_Roses_1994.zip By gerald " .... I see .... I had to completely delete Julian's mix off the thumb drive to revert back to this one. .. (still cant seem to figure out how to change on the fly either) .... I don't know guys, I'm not that impressed .. I downloaded that initially when I set it up but its pretty jumpy on the audio here and there which is why I had no idea that it was the "official" standard mix . ... i'm a bit disappointed again as I was expecting much better .... unless i'm missing something its really not significantly better than the stock card sounds from 1994 and yes I have done the speaker upgrade ... it seems to me at this point the charm of this card is being able to make your own sound mixes... I'm no audiophile but I do know that so far my game doesn't really sound any better ......... guess I need to start mixing or this thing is s going to end up on eBay real quick

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

HighwayStarr, Have you checked the 12v on your board? Seems like you are getting the delayed and missing audio from low voltage combined with the poor audio from the old files. I was using Juliens mix and wasn't impressed because it was acting strange and I was ready to give up but then checked the 12v and found it was around 10v while playing. I repinned my power supply and reflowed the solder on the bridge and fuses holders and helped get me to 11v. Now the board works fine and plays sound correctly. Just plain Juliens mix does sound better than stock and is a great starting point to start customizing.

oh yeah ..... i read your post last Friday regarding it but i forgot about it ...... ill check it out tonight and let you know ..thanks!

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

That's exactly the point of the card. As mentioned, it won't do anything for the lousy stock audio except give you some minor equalization capability.
I'll try to post a sample video of my in-progress GNR mix tonight.

ahhhhh .Thanks blackjacker .. i guess i was expecting too much , too easily ... obviously I shoulda known better ... i thought the GNR Zip files would already have been upgraded in this age of plug and play .... this is now taking me back to 1994 and my 486SX 33Mhz 4 MB RAM computer with my "soundblaster" sound card ... Ha!

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

HighwayStarr, Have you checked the 12v on your board? Seems like you are getting the delayed and missing audio from low voltage combined with the poor audio from the old files. I was using Juliens mix and wasn't impressed because it was acting strange and I was ready to give up but then checked the 12v and found it was around 10v while playing. I repinned my power supply and reflowed the solder on the bridge and fuses holders and helped get me to 11v. Now the board works fine and plays sound correctly. Just plain Juliens mix does sound better than stock and is a great starting point to start customizing.

guys I ASSUME you are referring to CN2 pins 3 and 6 ??? if so when game is in attract mode I have 15.1 VDC on Pin 3 and 12.5 VDC on pin 6 .... and the same while game is playing .... ummmm why would I have 15V on the - side?

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

guys I ASSUME you are referring to CN2 pins 3 and 6 ??? if so when game is in attract mode I have 15.1 VDC on Pin 3 and 12.5 VDC on pin 6 .... and the same while game is playing .... ummmm why would I have 15V on the + side?

bump

you out there gotpins? ...Julien?? ...anyone?

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

I simply use Tp3 on the power board to check the +12v.
dannunz : great news

OK TP3 = 12.3V in attract mode and 12.1V in game mode .... TP4 is showing 15.3V (?) in both modes .... is the 15V uncommon since the board is labeled 12V at BOTH points? again, is that too much voltage?

Also technically I do have the 12V .... so what else could be causing the Sound FX delay?

I guess I just need to do as you suggested Julien and start with his file and go from there ......

1 week later
#66 4 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

+1
And use my 1.0 mix as a start, you will hear a huge difference, then look at the file structure, maybe change the voice 000188 (played randomly at the beginning of the game) or the music 000006 (waiting for launching ball) to compare.

currently reloading your mix now ..... takes a LOOOOONG time ... just curious if I start manipulating a few files here and there is it going to have FULLY reload everytime I make a change ?

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Not sure what you mean by 'reloading' - you mean the machine unzipping the .zip file? That does take a long time (much faster to do it on your PC) but only needs to be done once.
When you change files, you just shove the USB into your PC, replace the already-unzipped .wav file(s) as you like, then jam it back into the pinball machine and start it back up. No unzipping involved.

ahhhh I see... thanks!

1 month later
#73 4 years ago

nice job BlackJacker ... Don't really think I have the patience to pursue this much further myself but I do admire some of your guys efforts ..... I may take another stab at it this weekend but i'm thinking ill be putting my factory sound board back in and putting my Pinsound board up for sale

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I would be interested in the updated GNR board . Are you located in the US?

yes ... Im in Illinois as well but much further south ...send me a PM

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Don't do it! GNR is exactly the type of machine the PinSound was made for - a music pin with truly abysmal stock audio quality. The PinSound board really makes playing it a completely different experience.

LOL

3 years later
#82 7 months ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

Don't really think I have the patience to pursue this much further myself but I do admire some of your guys efforts ..... I may take another stab at it this weekend but i'm thinking ill be putting my factory sound board back in and putting my Pinsound board up for sale

since this thread was recently resurrected by someone besides me 3 years later I'll update my status..... I KEPT the pinsound board, updated the drivers and purchased the "Data-East Power Booster" cable which corrected the sound cutting out issues I was having. I also ditched the pinsound studio software and simply used "finder" on my macbook which was much more user friendly. The learning curve was quicly over and this board is awesome!

I started with one of julien42 's mixes (Thanks Julien!) and used it as my foundation and created my own mixes and I think they sound fantastic. I haven't tweaked it in about 6 months but may play with it again once the weather turns.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 50.00
Boards
PinSound
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 19.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HighwayStarr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside