(Topic ID: 134141)

Guns and Roses PinSound board from France.

By dannunz

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by HighwayStarr
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gnr_end_game_audio.jpg
elvis_is_dead.jpg

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

I haven't. When I get home I'll crank it up all the way and see what happens.... I was under the impression that had no effect at all, but it would make sense that it would.

Quoted from Gotpins:

Jalpert, Have you turned your volume stick all the way up?...I mean all the way. On my game the volume is adjustable only on the top 1/8 twist of the volume pot. So in that last 1/8 of movement I go from no volume to full volume. Seems stupid but make sure its turned up.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

HighwayStarr, Have you checked the 12v on your board? Seems like you are getting the delayed and missing audio from low voltage combined with the poor audio from the old files. I was using Juliens mix and wasn't impressed because it was acting strange and I was ready to give up but then checked the 12v and found it was around 10v while playing. I repinned my power supply and reflowed the solder on the bridge and fuses holders and helped get me to 11v. Now the board works fine and plays sound correctly. Just plain Juliens mix does sound better than stock and is a great starting point to start customizing.

guys I ASSUME you are referring to CN2 pins 3 and 6 ??? if so when game is in attract mode I have 15.1 VDC on Pin 3 and 12.5 VDC on pin 6 .... and the same while game is playing .... ummmm why would I have 15V on the - side?

#53 4 years ago

Thanks man. Since the board overrides the system volume knob, it's pretty counter intuitive that it still effects it. I cranked the volume up and the sounds came through. Especially since the sounds during the conversion were loud...

Thanks again.

Quoted from Gotpins:

Jalpert, Have you turned your volume stick all the way up?...I mean all the way. On my game the volume is adjustable only on the top 1/8 twist of the volume pot. So in that last 1/8 of movement I go from no volume to full volume. Seems stupid but make sure its turned up.

#54 4 years ago

I have put in about 40 hours on my guns n roses mix and I must say is is coming out awsome. Been cutting in songs and added a song for ramp millions. Also some custom stuff. I will be posting a video soon and than uploading the mix to pinsound. It took a ton of time trying to figure out what I was doing but it's worth it!

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

guys I ASSUME you are referring to CN2 pins 3 and 6 ??? if so when game is in attract mode I have 15.1 VDC on Pin 3 and 12.5 VDC on pin 6 .... and the same while game is playing .... ummmm why would I have 15V on the + side?

bump

you out there gotpins? ...Julien?? ...anyone?

#56 4 years ago

I simply use Tp3 on the power board to check the +12v.

dannunz : great news

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

I simply use Tp3 on the power board to check the +12v.
dannunz : great news

OK TP3 = 12.3V in attract mode and 12.1V in game mode .... TP4 is showing 15.3V (?) in both modes .... is the 15V uncommon since the board is labeled 12V at BOTH points? again, is that too much voltage?

Also technically I do have the 12V .... so what else could be causing the Sound FX delay?

I guess I just need to do as you suggested Julien and start with his file and go from there ......

#58 4 years ago

on TP4 (-12v) you should read a negative value, but it's unregulated so a value near -14 is ok.
But i think the pinsound board doesnt use the -12v, so don t loose your time on it.
Your +12V is Ok

On which files (number) do you hear a delay ? there could still be some silence at the begining of the wave file.
(you can do this by enabling the record to a psrec file)

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I have put in about 40 hours on my Guns n Roses mix and I must say is is coming out awsome. Been cutting in songs and added a song for ramp millions. Also some custom stuff. I will be posting a video soon and than uploading the mix to pinsound. It took a ton of time trying to figure out what I was doing but it's worth it!

Interested to see how it comes out.

#60 4 years ago

Highwaystarr, CN2 pin 6 is the 12v you want to check. Did you check voltage not only in game mode but while playing? For example, machine gun both flipper buttons while other coils and flashers are going off. If this checks out ok then I would see if the usb flash stick you have is the problem. Try a different flash stick. After that I would try the board in another game...like a Williams/Bally and see if it funtions properly there.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I have put in about 40 hours on my Guns n Roses mix and I must say is is coming out awsome. Been cutting in songs and added a song for ramp millions. Also some custom stuff. I will be posting a video soon and than uploading the mix to pinsound. It took a ton of time trying to figure out what I was doing but it's worth it!

Nice, look forward to seeing a video. I hope to get a video up of my in-progress GNR mix by this weekend.

I had to backtrack on mine a bit - I went all-in right at the start, replacing a bunch of items at once, and then during testing having to keep track of 20+ different things that didn't work or had to be re-thought. So I reverted my changes and just focused on the music; now have almost all of the music beds done and can start focusing on the SFX and callouts this weekend. Bumping up against the limitations of the original sound design (the same jingle is used when you earn an extra ball and then just before you launch that extra ball, for example) but it'll get there - I downloaded a crap-ton of production-house audio libraries to sort through for (hopefully) some usable hits and effects.

"A ton of time" indeed. Makes one really appreciate what Endprodukt is doing with his complete reorchestrations. At least with the music pins we've already got the complete music tracks to work with, while he's building everything from nothing.

#62 4 years ago

Here is my mix. What do you guys think?

#63 4 years ago

Wanna try it, can you upload your mix ?

#64 4 years ago

How do I do that?

#65 4 years ago

1- copy your directoy
2- convert all your files to .ogg (use freac for example)
3- remove all your .wav files
4- zip your directoy
5- upload your zip file to the pinsound-community.org (after registering)

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

+1
And use my 1.0 mix as a start, you will hear a huge difference, then look at the file structure, maybe change the voice 000188 (played randomly at the beginning of the game) or the music 000006 (waiting for launching ball) to compare.

currently reloading your mix now ..... takes a LOOOOONG time ... just curious if I start manipulating a few files here and there is it going to have FULLY reload everytime I make a change ?

#67 4 years ago

currently reloading your mix now ..... takes a LOOOOONG time ... just curious if I start manipulating a few files here and there is it going to have FULLY reload everytime I make a change ?

Not sure what you mean by 'reloading' - you mean the machine unzipping the .zip file? That does take a long time (much faster to do it on your PC) but only needs to be done once.

When you change files, you just shove the USB into your PC, replace the already-unzipped .wav file(s) as you like, then jam it back into the pinball machine and start it back up. No unzipping involved.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Not sure what you mean by 'reloading' - you mean the machine unzipping the .zip file? That does take a long time (much faster to do it on your PC) but only needs to be done once.
When you change files, you just shove the USB into your PC, replace the already-unzipped .wav file(s) as you like, then jam it back into the pinball machine and start it back up. No unzipping involved.

ahhhh I see... thanks!

4 weeks later
#69 3 years ago

guys - how do you fix the power/voltage problem that could be causing the delay? I want to see if that's my issue too as I'm experiencing delay specifically on the pop bumpers and slingshots.

also - could not have the board itself extremely tight against the board effect this? one or two of my screws are a little loose but i don't want to strip them. thanks

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone know the title track in GnR when it plays "Match" before the girl that takes her top off is shown? I want to find it on my file but can't and it randomly plays that one (sometimes yes, sometimes no) so wanted to check it out.

After your final ball, looks like it plays 000144 (little musical ditty), then 000157 twice (the chick laughing), 000173 (bell) when the match # is displayed, and then assuming you don't match you get 000195 ("oh dude") and 000016 (end of game music)

gnr_end_game_audio.jpg

#71 3 years ago

awesome thanks!

3 weeks later
#72 3 years ago

(Disclaimer - this is from my phone sitting precariously on the apron, so I wasn't nudging. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. Also, yes, the glass is on so the low-angle video looks like shit - I originally started this with the glass off and my wife came downstairs with divorce papers and a pen, so the glass went back on.)

Still plenty to do, especially on the SFX and voice callouts, but music is far enough along that I figured I'd do a first video test. Haven't yet figured out how to handle the Dizzy/Gilby shared music, so for now I left the original music in for those modes. Gilby will (ideally) just be the motorcycle with no background music, and for now I do have a new motorcycle sound (and pedestrian thumps) in, but those are works in progress.

Lost of work left on the non-music SFX - it's easy enough to replace the stock music with quality .wavs, but selecting new SFX that "fit" is proving much more difficult. I do think I've got the mode start (Rocket Queen riff - I LOVE THIS), extra ball, encore, 'add band member', kickback, mode lock (trigger) and chick laugh nailed down. Still need to come up with a decent "ball launch" firing sound, and a similar but less-aggressive firing sound for the pop bumpers. Right now I've removed both, and actually like that the pops don't have SFX (there's a lot of stock SFX during play that I think can be removed completely, or at the least shortened up considerably - some of the ramp "whizzes" are ridiculously too long), but that pop bumper sound is also used when you cancel out the bonus rundown at end of ball, and I miss having that notification there. The ball launch firing sound needs to come back, but I had a really aggressive shotgun blast in there, and during multiball modes it was just stupid. (At 9:57 you see why some type of ball launch sound needs to come back - when you launch a ball but don't activate a mode, you really need some kind of sound/marker to delineate that something has happened.)

For the 'waiting for ball launch' background music, I used an instrumental demo of Civil War, and that's the only place it's used, to distinguish it from the ball-in-play (either mode-specific or non-mode) background tracks. I put 4-5 copies of it in that folder, each starting at a different point in the track, which was one of those hit-yourself-in-the-forehead revelations when I finally thought to do that - really makes each ball start so much less repetitive, especially using a non-album track.

At the end of the match sequence, that's the announcer from Unreal Tournament. With the Polk powered sub connected (in this video it isn't) the reverb on that is worth the price of admission. After that, I've got 4-5 different end of game "outro" tracks - the one that plays in this video is from the 01-01-01 Vegas 'comeback' show - the only place in the mix where I felt OK going into 'new' GNR territory.

Enough of my yapping. Video's 12 minutes long - cheat sheet if you wanna jump around is below. Starts before power-on, for anyone not familiar with the PinSound boot sequence.

0:20 boot.wav starts
0:36 background civil war
0:39 mode start - matt
0:48 encore
1:15 add band member
1:24 tick tock
1:30 mode start - slash
1:39 kickback (car rev)
2:21 coma is lit
2:33 mode start - gilby
3:11 add band member
3:14 mode start - coma
3:59 extra ball awarded
4:24 add band member
4:48 extra ball start
4:54 mode start - snakepit
5:06 add band member
5:54 mode start - dizzy ramps
6:28 mode start - duff
7:06 mode start - axl 3 ball
8:06 mystery
8:14 mode start - riot
9:57 add band member via trigger (no trigger sound)
11:37 match sequence - new chick laugh and "oh dude" voice
11:43 game over outro music

#73 3 years ago

nice job BlackJacker ... Don't really think I have the patience to pursue this much further myself but I do admire some of your guys efforts ..... I may take another stab at it this weekend but i'm thinking ill be putting my factory sound board back in and putting my Pinsound board up for sale

#74 3 years ago

nice job BlackJacker ... Don't really think I have the patience to pursue this much further myself but I do admire some of your guys efforts ..... I may take another stab at it this weekend but i'm thinking ill be putting my factory sound board back in and putting my Pinsound board up for sale

I would be interested in the updated GNR board . Are you located in the US?

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I would be interested in the updated GNR board . Are you located in the US?

yes ... Im in Illinois as well but much further south ...send me a PM

#76 3 years ago

nice job BlackJacker ... Don't really think I have the patience to pursue this much further myself but I do admire some of your guys efforts

Thanks. It's definitely a process, trying to make sense of what sound gets played at what time and why - lots of recording and playing back games (both via video and .psrec files) and then sorting out which folder a sound should be in, then back and forth with volume adjustments... definitely a lot of iteration.

Because there's no real 'base' to start from it's a lot of trial and error and frustration at the start. (The 'stock' sound mix available from the PinSound forums does indeed have the stock sounds, but their filenames aren't necessarily indicative of what they really are or when they get played, and many of them are in the wrong folders for proper playback.)

I'm getting there, slowly. Certainly I think more than halfway finished, now just to clean up 2-3 of the full music tracks and then focus on the SFX and callouts.

I may take another stab at it this weekend but i'm thinking ill be putting my factory sound board back in and putting my Pinsound board up for sale

Don't do it! GNR is exactly the type of machine the PinSound was made for - a music pin with truly abysmal stock audio quality. The PinSound board really makes playing it a completely different experience.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Don't do it! GNR is exactly the type of machine the PinSound was made for - a music pin with truly abysmal stock audio quality. The PinSound board really makes playing it a completely different experience.

LOL

3 years later
#78 55 days ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

(Disclaimer - this is from my phone sitting precariously on the apron, so I wasn't nudging. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. Also, yes, the glass is on so the low-angle video looks like shit - I originally started this with the glass off and my wife came downstairs with divorce papers and a pen, so the glass went back on.)
Still plenty to do, especially on the SFX and voice callouts, but music is far enough along that I figured I'd do a first video test. Haven't yet figured out how to handle the Dizzy/Gilby shared music, so for now I left the original music in for those modes. Gilby will (ideally) just be the motorcycle with no background music, and for now I do have a new motorcycle sound (and pedestrian thumps) in, but those are works in progress.
Lost of work left on the non-music SFX - it's easy enough to replace the stock music with quality .wavs, but selecting new SFX that "fit" is proving much more difficult. I do think I've got the mode start (Rocket Queen riff - I LOVE THIS), extra ball, encore, 'add band member', kickback, mode lock (trigger) and chick laugh nailed down. Still need to come up with a decent "ball launch" firing sound, and a similar but less-aggressive firing sound for the pop bumpers. Right now I've removed both, and actually like that the pops don't have SFX (there's a lot of stock SFX during play that I think can be removed completely, or at the least shortened up considerably - some of the ramp "whizzes" are ridiculously too long), but that pop bumper sound is also used when you cancel out the bonus rundown at end of ball, and I miss having that notification there. The ball launch firing sound needs to come back, but I had a really aggressive shotgun blast in there, and during multiball modes it was just stupid. (At 9:57 you see why some type of ball launch sound needs to come back - when you launch a ball but don't activate a mode, you really need some kind of sound/marker to delineate that something has happened.)
For the 'waiting for ball launch' background music, I used an instrumental demo of Civil War, and that's the only place it's used, to distinguish it from the ball-in-play (either mode-specific or non-mode) background tracks. I put 4-5 copies of it in that folder, each starting at a different point in the track, which was one of those hit-yourself-in-the-forehead revelations when I finally thought to do that - really makes each ball start so much less repetitive, especially using a non-album track.
At the end of the match sequence, that's the announcer from Unreal Tournament. With the Polk powered sub connected (in this video it isn't) the reverb on that is worth the price of admission. After that, I've got 4-5 different end of game "outro" tracks - the one that plays in this video is from the 01-01-01 Vegas 'comeback' show - the only place in the mix where I felt OK going into 'new' GNR territory.
Enough of my yapping. Video's 12 minutes long - cheat sheet if you wanna jump around is below. Starts before power-on, for anyone not familiar with the PinSound boot sequence.
0:20 boot.wav starts
0:36 background civil war
0:39 mode start - matt
0:48 encore
1:15 add band member
1:24 tick tock
1:30 mode start - slash
1:39 kickback (car rev)
2:21 coma is lit
2:33 mode start - gilby
3:11 add band member
3:14 mode start - coma
3:59 extra ball awarded
4:24 add band member
4:48 extra ball start
4:54 mode start - snakepit
5:06 add band member
5:54 mode start - dizzy ramps
6:28 mode start - duff
7:06 mode start - axl 3 ball
8:06 mystery
8:14 mode start - riot
9:57 add band member via trigger (no trigger sound)
11:37 match sequence - new chick laugh and "oh dude" voice
11:43 game over outro music

Where can i download this mix?

#79 54 days ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Where can i download this mix?

It's not hosted anywhere, that's just an in-progress video of where I was with mine.

3 years later... still tinkering with it. Actually as recently as the last couple of weeks, in anticipation of the shaker kit.

#80 54 days ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

It's not hosted anywhere, that's just an in-progress video of where I was with mine.
3 years later... still tinkering with it. Actually as recently as the last couple of weeks, in anticipation of the shaker kit.

Ill take whatever youve got. Ouy if all the ones ive seen, i like yours the best.

#81 54 days ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Can't wait to try out your mix as well. Set it free!

1 week later
#82 45 days ago

Don't really think I have the patience to pursue this much further myself but I do admire some of your guys efforts ..... I may take another stab at it this weekend but i'm thinking ill be putting my factory sound board back in and putting my Pinsound board up for sale

since this thread was recently resurrected by someone besides me 3 years later I'll update my status..... I KEPT the pinsound board, updated the drivers and purchased the "Data-East Power Booster" cable which corrected the sound cutting out issues I was having. I also ditched the pinsound studio software and simply used "finder" on my macbook which was much more user friendly. The learning curve was quicly over and this board is awesome!

I started with one of julien42 's mixes (Thanks Julien!) and used it as my foundation and created my own mixes and I think they sound fantastic. I haven't tweaked it in about 6 months but may play with it again once the weather turns.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 259.99
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside