Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by way2wyrd
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20151101_19_09_31_Rich_LI_(resized).jpg
    WP_20151101_19_09_39_Rich_LI_(resized).jpg
    WP_20151101_19_09_54_Rich_LI_(resized).jpg
    WP_20150914_001.jpg
    stylus2.jpg
    stylus1.jpg
    gun_stylus.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Williams.
    How do you do it?
    Do I need to remove the bakelite plate?

How does the new stylus attach/remove to the plate?

It looks like the stylus should just slide out but it's attached somehow and the sleeve seems attached to the stylus also.

Advice?
    -Jeff

#3 8 years ago

I have fabricated, manipulated, and rigged a few shooting games in the last few years. Pics and actual name of the game would help.

#4 8 years ago

This should be the assembly
    Alangun stylus.jpggun stylus.jpg

#5 8 years ago

For sure that is the one. Pbr had some styluses and springs.

Current I'm working on a 59 vanguard

I just can't figure out how it comes apart

-Jeff

#6 8 years ago

Here is my '69 Spooks, probably identical to your '59 game.

I don't need to replace mine so I'm not taking anything apart, but looking at it:
    To get to the stylus easily the first thing I would try is to remove the cross bar that holds the stylus bar from dropping down. It should swing down, exposing the stylus.

The stylus pin is mushroomed (swaged) to hold it in the bar as you can see, so I don't think the pin just pulls out.

At this point I would need to look at the new part and see what looks different. That would give me a clue to what to do in reverse to disassemble the stylus. For instance is the new pin mushroomed already, is it part of an assembly or just a loose pin?

The stylus assembly is riveted to the stylus bar so I would hope it doesn't need to be drilled out. Swinging the bar down may give a better look at how all this goes together. I'm sure they didn't design it to be easily replaced.
    I think dropping the bar down will give a better idea how the new parts go in. Maybe they are pressed into the bakelite holder, or the rivets hold them on the bakelite holder.

stylus1.jpgstylus1.jpgstylus2.jpgstylus2.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for the pics. Yup identical except for mine has a single stylus.
    I've taken the yoke out and the stylus will push up and down with the spring as tension.
    The mystery is that the stylus seems locked, meaning, if I were to clip the mushroomed part off I would expect the stylus to fall out but it does not. It seems locked to a certain position.

P2k, if you push from the mushroomed end will the stylus move freely as if it would come out except for the mushroom stopping it?

The new stylus is completely straight so I assume I'll need to mushroom much like a rivet.

Sorry for no pics I'm on the road this week

-Jeff

#8 8 years ago

>>if you push from the mushroomed end will the stylus move freely as if it would come out except for the mushroom stopping it?

Yes, the mushroomed end goes all the way freely to the plastic base.
    Does the new stylus have the contact pad already attached, it won't come off (the other end of the stylus pin)?

A lot of gunk builds up on the pin and may stop it from going all the way to the base.

Alan

#9 8 years ago

Thanks Alan,
    I think mine is just seized up then.

The new ones have a contact spear looking thing already attached instead of a flat contact pad.

Thanks for the info.

It's coming to TPF if I can get it done.
    --Jeff

#10 8 years ago

Here is a pic of the new stylus and springs for reference

--Jeff

WP_20150914_001.jpgWP_20150914_001.jpg

#11 8 years ago

It does look like the old pins just slide out if the mushroom is removed.
    Functionally, you don't need to mushroom the new pins once installed. Pushing them down while sliding the arm over the board should hold them in until the next time the arm is removed (probably never).

Alan

4 months later
    #12 8 years ago

just an update to this . I finally got the stylus out (it was jacked for sure) and rebuilt the bakelite. Turned out pretty good if you ask me.

WP_20151101_19_09_54_Rich_LI_(resized).jpgWP_20151101_19_09_54_Rich_LI_(resized).jpg

WP_20151101_19_09_39_Rich_LI_(resized).jpgWP_20151101_19_09_39_Rich_LI_(resized).jpg

WP_20151101_19_09_31_Rich_LI_(resized).jpgWP_20151101_19_09_31_Rich_LI_(resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gun-game-stylus-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.