Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dri
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
dirtyharry switch matrix (resized).PNG

#1 2 years ago

Hi guys,

I've tried to research my issue but have not found anything to solve it. My Dirty Harry have always worked fine. It has been sitting for a few months now while other games got more attention and suddenly the gun stopped working today. The gun didn't do the normal calibration at startup since memory is saved with fresh batteries.

The gun started moving really slow with a squeeky noise when I select load gun for HQ shot. When the gun fired the ball it moved back to its original position quickly as normal. I went through test report and it said "Gun Broken". I guess the game removed the gun from the skill shot since I can't select to load it anymore. Next test report says to check switch 44 gun chamber. I think that's an opto, but I could not find it when I checked quickly. Also during gameplay the gun started moving by itself slightly and its lamp flashed even though it's "broken".

Finally, the right chopper ramp gives a slam tilt reset every time the ball enters the ramp. This has never occured before. Could it be related to the gun issue? The gun switch 44 and right ramp entrance 55 are not on the same column, they are however on the same connector from the CPU board. I've never seen a switch issue reset a game. Could there be a short at connector on the cpu board?

Very dumbfounded here...any help is appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

For reference, here is the switch matrix. Slam tilt and right ramp entrance is on the same row. Could the error be at the CPU board? Doesn't explain why the gun is acting up.

dirtyharry switch matrix (resized).PNG

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

The gun switch 44 and right ramp entrance 55 are not on the same column, they are however on the same connector from the CPU board. I've never seen a switch issue reset a game.

This actually happens quite alot and is normally caused by a miswired switch or shorted switch contact, this problem could be very confusing even with the proper knowledge of how the switch matrix works.

There are a couple of very important things to know here:
1) any closed switch drives the entire row low when its column is active
2) Switch diodes prevent closed switches from activating other columns
3) A switch that's miswired, had a backwards/shorted diode, or shorted connections will almost always test fine on its own.

The problem troubleshooting this is it takes three simultaneously closed switches to activate the 4th (this is know as "the box")

The problem you are seeing is that the column 2 activation pulse is being passed to column 5 at column 2 time, this is allowing closed switches in column 5 to drive the row low and be read as column 2 switch closures. You only have 4 switches to check BOTH slam tilt switches, SW 51 Right ramp switch, and SW54 Standup.

Remember, the WHITE wire should NEVER be connected to the stripped side of the diode and the green wires shouldn't be directly connected to the diode at all.

EDIT: MASSIVE edits were made as I confused myself trying to describe the nature of the problem.

#4 2 years ago

Oh wow thank you for the extensive response. If I understand you correctly the opto in the gun can actually be the culprit?

The machine tells me to check switch 44 and it's on the same row as 24 (always closed which in turn is on the column slam Tilt is causing "cross pulsing" when the right ramp is activated?

This video below shows my gun when it started acting up. Maybe a wire to the opto got caught and shorted out? It sounds like the mechanism is rusted but it sat for 3 months in a heated room.

#5 2 years ago

The video showing the gun moving and it seems like its in working order,It is registering like it should when you hear the beeps it means its working.
Can you take a video showing the game turned off and then turn the game on and only just showing the screen.It would be more helpful to see the
screen and what it says

#6 2 years ago

I'll try to take a new video. Strange thing is that the gun is as slow during gameplay with the same grinding noise in the video, even though the gun is officially disabled by the game. I can't select it for the skill shot anymore. Also it starts moving by itself sometimes during gameplay.

Game complaints about switch 44 gun chamber which pin_guy suggests also is the cause to the switch matrix issue if I understood him correctly.

#7 2 years ago

Have you tried a factory reset?

#8 2 years ago

I know it might not solve your problem but just curious,Its pointing to U20 on the cpu.When you test the switches in the switch menu do other switches register at the same time?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

check switch 44 and it's on the same row as 24

They are not in the same row,Slam tilt is switch 21
Right ramp and slam tilt are in the same row

#10 2 years ago

pinmike Yes that's what I meant. Sorry

BRB after further testing

#11 2 years ago

I have not done a factory reset. The only thing I changed was moving a controlled light connector to its original position from J138 to J137 since I noticed one light column was off and the connector sat wrong.

However....I went back tonight and was going to check on tests and so on. It...works again. Scratching my head here...

The only odd thing I noticed was the gun started to swivel at one point during gameplay. It could've been a ball find though from poor playing.

First startup of tonight

Second startup with some fiddling on gun test and switch test

I don't know what to say

#12 2 years ago

Hmmmm,I don't know what to say also...Lol!! From watching your vids it seems everything is working in proper order.Did you play a few games to see if the problem returned?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

The only odd thing I noticed was the gun started to swivel at one point during gameplay

Oh i see,This could indicate a few things
1.The opto transmitter could be flaky/dirty/needs cleaning or it might need a reflow of solder on the wire.
2.Does the gun opto under the playfield have a small connector if it does try reseatting that connector
3.During gameplay the playfield and the moving parts cause vibration and the connector on the opto board might need to be reseatted also.
If the problem returns try doing these,Any which way just post back if it returns

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

the right chopper ramp gives a slam tilt reset every time the ball enters the ramp.

I was only responding to this reset issue and attempting to explain how the right ramp switch can cause a slam tilt...a great number of switch matrix slam tilts occur in combination with a row 4 switch as there is a permanently closed switch (24) in that row/column that completes half the box.

Other thoughts:
The coin door switch (SW22) which is also normally closed contributes to it's fair share of slam tilt matrix issues, but I discounted row2 as a possible cause of your issues as there is no connection to row 2 in column 5; this makes it nearly impossible for the column 5 pulse to drive row 2 low.

#15 2 years ago

I appreciate both your inputs. It helped me understand a lot.

I will have to check the switches for the gun and see they're ok. The opto in the gun is called "chamber" so I guess it detects when the ball drops into it, which in turn starts the gun movement.

This could be the cause to the matrix issue pin_guy explained. Fascinating stuff really.

Oh, and just to be clear, reseating a lamp matrix connector (on the power board) while the machine is in test mode or attract mode, would not be the cause of it?

Thank you guys

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Oh, and just to be clear, reseating a lamp matrix connector (on the power board) while the machine is in test mode or attract mode, would not be the cause of it?

No,But if you were working on your game or changing out bulbs while the power is on is a very bad idea,Because you can easily cause a short and blow out U20 on the CPU.Then crazy things start to happen like the switches and optos start acting up and switch matrix start randomly start activating a whole row of switches.It's always best to power off the game if your going to do anything even removing the playfield glass

#17 2 years ago

That I know of. I never work under the pf with power on. I understand it's easy to blow U20 by accidentally sending high voltage into the lamp matrix.

But thanks for the advice anyway. I will let this thread rest a bit. If I find anything else with the gun opto or such, I will write an update. Thank you

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

That I know of. I never work under the pf with power on. I understand it's easy to blow U20 by accidentally sending high voltage into the lamp matrix.
But thanks for the advice anyway. I will let this thread rest a bit. If I find anything else with the gun opto or such, I will write an update. Thank you

No problem,your very welcome and post back if you run into more issues.

1 year later
#19 1 year ago

For folks looking for ghost switch hits. I just solved mine based on this thread. Thanks!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghost-switch-hit-on-dm#post-5229971

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Machine - For Sale
Marblehead, MA
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside