Holstered dog (resized).jpg
DSC_6481 (resized).JPG
20240331_142327 (resized).jpg
IMG_4244 (resized).jpg
IMG_7813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7708 (resized).jpeg
German Shepard has a gun and refuses to take medications.pdf (PDF preview)
20200912_140005 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 43.
#1001 3 years ago

Anyone own or shoot one of the Keltec sub 2000 folding rifles? Thinkin about picking one up in 9mm, seen a few in the $400 range for sale. Reviews are good but I dont know anyone personally that has shot one.

#1002 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I’ve been a shotgun guy but think it’s time for a handgun for home safety. I’m thinking Walther PPK.

The ppk is a sexy pistol, but it's not much fun to shoot. Kicks like a mule! You might want to look instead at a sig p365, a glock 26 or 43, or something similar. Bigger caliber and easier to shoot!

#1003 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Anyone own or shoot one of the Keltec sub 2000 folding rifles? Thinkin about picking one up in 9mm, seen a few in the $400 range for sale. Reviews are good but I dont know anyone personally that has shot one.

I borrowed my dads for a couple years. Took it out once. I find it hard to "get down" on the sights and if you mount anything other than open sights forget folding it up. You CAN by an aftermarket rail that snaps things to the side. But now you have a lot more money into the thing. On the plus side it packs up well and if you have Glock mags you are already good to go. I'm sure Hickok 45 or the usual suspects on YouTube have shot these.

The front sight moves pretty easily....which can be both good and bad.

I picked up a Ruger PC Carbine and like it MUCH more. Mine was used but also got it for $400.

I wouldn't say the Sub 2K is BAD.....but for other benefits for similar money you might be happier with something else.

#1004 3 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

The ppk is a sexy pistol, but it's not much fun to shoot. Kicks like a mule! You might want to look instead at a sig p365, a glock 26 or 43, or something similar. Bigger caliber and easier to shoot!

In my experience it's jam-o-matic too but maybe the one I shot was too new. I also have a Bersa thunder which is a look a like except it weighs even less.....so you can guess what that means haha.

#1005 3 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

These are more for concealed carry, not sure I would recommend any of these 3 for 'home safety' unless you have small hands

#1006 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Spend the extra coin, get the ruger pc carbine.

#1007 3 years ago

An FYI.. needing finger prints for a Form 4 today.
No, can't get them done at the Sheriff's Department because of Covid!
Yes, I can get them done at the UPS Store....

WAT?

#1008 3 years ago

Nothing special, but this is my home defense. My first build, with a homemede paracord sling.

20200812_202936 (resized).jpg20200812_202936 (resized).jpg
#1009 3 years ago

Spike's makes great stuff!

#1010 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Spike's makes great stuff!

Yeah, I have had no issues at all. I picked up an Aero upper on my second build. I really like their stuff and would love to get a monthly "builders set", but they sell out immediately.

#1011 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

WAT?

Have you been buying from the same seller? Mine usually just amends my trust and I e-sign the paper work. I don't even have to show up anywhere when they ship in the mail.

I'm not sure if the same can be done with SBRs. If so a person could just start buying all their guns like that and never even leave the house.

#1012 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

These are more for concealed carry, not sure I would recommend any of these 3 for 'home safety' unless you have small hands

Boscokid makes a good point. I assumed since the original pick was PPK, carrying was a consideration. If no concealed carry in planned and the pistol is strictly home defense, go with something bigger, with more rounds, and even easier to shoot. G17, FN FNX, 1911, Uzi, MP5 clone, etc, really almost anything by a respected manufacturer. Or just stick with a pump shotgun or carbine length AR and forget about it.

#1013 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

WAT?

Not easy, but you can do your own. I bought ink pad, holder and cards on Amazon so I don't have to depend on 3rd party
Really had no choice because I needed them for suppressor application during height of COVID19. Everyone including the Sheriffs office were shut down
Buy extra cards if you go this route, takes a bit of practice

#1014 3 years ago

I've been thinking about getting a shotgun for use in home protection.

Not sure I want to get a 12 ga, but a 20 ga. seems too small.

Haven't been able to find a 16 ga, near me to try, but am concerned that ammo won't be that easy to get for a 16 ga.

Robert

#1015 3 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Why a shotgun? Nice if you're in the back yard but inside the home... you're usually talking close quarters. I'd suggesting thinking hand gun or AK.
Frangible ammo is nice if you don't want it going on through to the kids room.

But then, 12 gauge Flechette rounds work pretty well too. My door can tell you a story.

Flechette (resized).pngFlechette (resized).png

#1016 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Have you been buying from the same seller? Mine usually just amends my trust and I e-sign the paper work.

Yes, I've had all my previous stuff put on the gun trust.
This one I went with an individual Form 4 to find the most expedited approval.

When I kick the can, my wife is going to just give them all away anyway so hey... what the heck.

#1017 3 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Haven't been able to find a 16 ga, near me to try, but am concerned that ammo won't be that easy to get for a 16 ga.
Robert

Somebody would have to be damn determined to get into your house to hang around after a blast from a 20ga.

Naturally for Zombies and such you would rather have a 12 or 16ga.

As far as ammo, I gave up trying to get 9mm locally or online thru Cabelas or Bass Pro and have been ordering from MidwayUsa.com and if they say they have it in stock then its in your mailbox in a couple days.

#1018 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Why a shotgun? Nice if you're in the back yard but inside the home... you're usually talking close quarters. I'd suggesting thinking hand gun or AK.
Frangible ammo is nice if you don't want it going on through to the kids room.
But then, 12 gauge Flechette rounds work pretty well too. My door can tell you a story.
[quoted image]

Does this pic belong here or in the Bourbon thread? Gotta be a story I missed

#1019 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

I was going to ask what that door did to p*** him off.

#1020 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

As far as ammo, I gave up trying to get 9mm locally or online..

SGAmmo are one of the good guys.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/9mm-luger-ammo

#1021 3 years ago

Last year I picked up 147 grain 9mm 1000 rds for $159 shipped. Probably won't see those days any time soon but SG always good on their prices.

#1022 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Last year I picked up 147 grain 9mm 1000 rds for $159 shipped. Probably won't see those days any time soon but SG always good on their prices.

I think it might be a little while... like after Nov 3.

#1023 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

LOL.. best part of the story is that nobody else in the house heard a 12 g.
30 minutes later... spackle baby spackle....

Flechette (resized).pngFlechette (resized).png

#1024 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

What would make you think that alcohol was involved?...

#1025 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I was going to ask what that door did to p*** him off.

Same thing my car did to piss me off...
In the car wash... windows up.... BOOM

IMG_5257 (resized).JPGIMG_5257 (resized).JPG

#1026 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Same thing my car did to piss me off...
In the car wash... windows up.... BOOM
[quoted image]

I'm starting to see that you'd be a fun person to hang out next to. Now, when I say NEXT to, I mean next to. Maybe behind but definitely not in front of.

#1027 3 years ago

Trying to get motivated to shoot tomorrow afternoon. Being sick of the cheap range provided target holders or lack thereof; this afternoon I decided to take matters into my own hands at just under $21

If you look on the work bench you will see a note that I pulled off an old EM when I bought it that had a coil pulled in. They couldn't decide how many games was enough before it needed to be turned off.

IMG_6015 (resized).JPGIMG_6015 (resized).JPGIMG_6016 (resized).JPGIMG_6016 (resized).JPGIMG_6017 (resized).JPGIMG_6017 (resized).JPG
#1028 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Trying to get motivated to shoot tomorrow afternoon. Being sick of the cheap range provided target holders or lack thereof; this afternoon I decided to take matters into my own hands at just under $21

Sweet!
What did you secure the top of the target with? Something to secure the bottom would be nice. The wind could turn it into a flag!

#1029 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Sweet!
What did you secure the top of the target with? Something to secure the bottom would be nice. The wind could turn it into a flag!

I just threw electrical tape up on for the picture but I'll lower it a bit with clear tape and secure on more sides. I was thinking about doing twine with those office binder clip thingies but I'm not sure if that's overkill. I made it extra wide since I might carry this down to 150+ yards and have as close as pistol. Not pictured I also made 1x extra of each piece in case I have nasty misfires. I won't be doing any shotgun or bump fires with this.

Where I shoot they have raised berms all around. What I like about that is I can do down range safely while the shooter next to me can be firing away. Plus we are halfway in the woods. In theory I SHOULD be okay from target-flag-syndrome.

When I used to visit the range in FL with my dad we had one in the middle of the swamp and the target holder was smaller and didn't have any tip issues.

#1030 3 years ago

My usual source finally got .40 180 grain FMJ pulls back in stock. They have been sold out all year. The last time there was an ammo run, .40 was all that was left on the shelves since its not a "cool" caliber any more. My mail man HATES me. 2000 rounds=51 lbs. in a small box. My LGS is only allowing people to buy 1000 primers a day right now, so I guess ill be driving back and forth a few times this week.
20200814_041205 (resized).jpg20200814_041205 (resized).jpg

#1031 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

In my experience it's jam-o-matic too but maybe the one I shot was too new. I also have a Bersa thunder which is a look a like except it weighs even less.....so you can guess what that means haha.

Do you like your Thunder? I was eyeballing a used one for $199 and a road trip away.

#1032 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Naturally for Zombies and such you would rather have a 12 or 16ga.

Thanks for the info.

A lot of the shotguns have longer barrels than it would seem useful inside for home defense. I assume that the barrels can be cut down. Would a gunsmith do it and how short would be good.

Robert

#1033 3 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Do you like your Thunder? I was eyeballing a used one for $199 and a road trip away.

It’s not bad. It’s not super high quality but for $200 you get a 380 with good sights.

When you seat your mag in it drops the slide for you automatically so that’s kind of nice.

Definitely no plans to sell mine.

#1034 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

It’s not bad. It’s not super high quality but for $200 you get a 380 with good sights.
When you seat your mag in it drops the slide for you automatically so that’s kind of nice.
Definitely no plans to sell mine.

All I know of Bersa is the Argentenian copies of the Walther guns, but haven't heard anything bad about it. The CCW variant looks interesting, and not hard on the wallet.

#1035 3 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

All I know of Bersa is the Argentenian copies of the Walther guns, but haven't heard anything bad about it. The CCW variant looks interesting, and not hard on the wallet.

Oh I didn’t even see you are local. If you wanted to meet up at a range and take mine for a spin you are more than welcome to.

#1036 3 years ago

The closet Zombie shotgun that killed the door.

4CA34A33-3449-4F4F-AD8A-B494EF4DFB82 (resized).jpeg4CA34A33-3449-4F4F-AD8A-B494EF4DFB82 (resized).jpegB156A74D-D322-460F-8B6E-FFEEAD366A49 (resized).jpegB156A74D-D322-460F-8B6E-FFEEAD366A49 (resized).jpeg
#1037 3 years ago

For anyone needing 9mm ammo online, Outdoor Limited has some but geez $0.80 a round! And I complained spending $450 for 1000.
https://www.outdoorlimited.com/handgun-ammo/9mm-ammo/?cid=426&search_text=&per_row=20&sortBy=8&mode=list

#1038 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

For anyone needing 9mm ammo online, Outdoor Limited has some but geez $0.80 a round! And I complained spending $450 for 1000.
https://www.outdoorlimited.com/handgun-ammo/9mm-ammo/?cid=426&search_text=&per_row=20&sortBy=8&mode=list

That's nuts. I just hand loaded 600 9mm this morning for about 9 cents a round. A year ago, people would say 9mm is dumb to reload because its only $8-$9 a box new. LGS was packed this morning. Probaby 40 people inside. Handgun display cases were almost totally empty instead of the usual couple hundred on display.

#1039 3 years ago

This morning I picked up a Williams Superstar pinball. On the way back I ran into Scheels and walked out with this...

9FFE5FCD-1F4C-458E-90C6-DD90F0A8F15F (resized).jpeg9FFE5FCD-1F4C-458E-90C6-DD90F0A8F15F (resized).jpeg
#1040 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

This morning I picked up a Williams Superstar pinball. On the way back I ran into Scheels and walked out with this...[quoted image]

I have had my 686 for 25 years love it.

#1041 3 years ago

Picked up a 357 El Chiappa for fun

And a Sig for home and carry

To go along with a A400 Berreta 12 gauge

And a shitload of ammo

#1042 3 years ago
Quoted from Bundy:

I have had my 686 for 25 years love it.

What surprised me is that this one is used. Looks to be in really good condition.

#1043 3 years ago

I went to a small gun show today and prices are bad. The cheapest 9mm ammo was $30! Exact same stuff was under $7 a couple months ago. Same 22wmr they have at Walmart for $11 was $25, same with 22lr. One aisle was a big vendors guns and another his optics. Couple small dealers and maybe 10 independent tables, beef jerky, new windows and two Trump merch dealers and that was it. Should have asked for my $9 back.

Was tempted and still thinking about going back tomorrow and picking up a Rossi RS22 for the wife. She is interested in learning but has never shot before and for $125 total might be a good starter.

#1044 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And a shitload of ammo

Have been thinking about this for a while. How much ammo are you guys stocking?

I only keep 4 or 5 boxes on hand. Granted I have friends that can reload but still curious how many rounds is enough

#1045 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

I only keep 4 or 5 boxes on hand. Granted I have friends that can reload but still curious how many rounds is enough

A few thousand rounds of each caliber...
But that’s just me.

#1046 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Have been thinking about this for a while. ... ...how many rounds is enough

Enough (resized).pngEnough (resized).png

#1047 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

How much do you shoot in a year? What if ammo is difficult to get for the next 6 months or longer? What likelihood do you assign to social unrest getting really bad in the upcoming months? Each person needs to decide for themselves what is appropriate. But a gun without ammo is basically a unique paperweight.

#1048 3 years ago

I make sure I get to the range at least once a month and put 100 through my carry gun at a minimum. The way I approach it is its my personal responsibility to be sharp and well trained if I am going to carry something. I keep 1000-1500 rounds made up of each caliber I shoot regularly, and try to keep at least that in materials to make more if needed. I'm strongly considering selling my Loadmaster and going to a Dillon 750 with a case feeder...provided they are available right now. I can reload 9mm for $4.50 a box, 40 S&W and .45 AARP for about $7/box. Sure beats 80 cents a round these days.

#1049 3 years ago

I was looking at my receipts and on June 17 I got a brick of 22lr for $21. Wish I could find that now.

#1050 3 years ago

Finding ammo has definitely been crazy. Some places are straight gauging people. The wife and I went to a couple local gun shows last weekend and while ammo prices are generally high at gun shows, the prices were insane. Got lucky yesterday at Scheels and picked up 300 rounds of 380, 100 rounds of 9, 200 rounds of .223 and 300 rounds of 556 and all at very reasonable prices. Right place, right time.

There are 2,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gun-and-target-hobbyiest-and-enthusiats-club/page/21?hl=jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.