Holstered dog (resized).jpg
DSC_6481 (resized).JPG
20240331_142327 (resized).jpg
IMG_4244 (resized).jpg
IMG_7813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7708 (resized).jpeg
German Shepard has a gun and refuses to take medications.pdf (PDF preview)
20200912_140005 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 43.
#851 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Looking for a good first-buy hand gun. Have a few rifles/shotguns, but would like to start to get into target practice a bit now that my kids are older and safety isn't as much a concern. Looking for something on the smaller end, preferably not a revolver.Thanks.

Good morning. This can be a lot like the proverbial “looking for my first pinball machine”. Lots of advice will come based in user preferences.

First and foremost, try your best to shoot one first. Holding one in your hand with a trigger lock is a big leap from putting some rounds through it.

Budget will help. There are many affordable handguns. No need for you first one to be a JJP CE.

My preference would be 9mm. Plentiful ammo and countless options. I own several including
Springfield XDM9 (full size)
Springfield XD2 (carry size)
Canik TP9-SFX (Target / competition gun)

My current favorite
Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 380EZ. It’s lightweight and fits comfortably in my hand. I keep it in my car. It’s not a lot of power, but that’s my call.

Best of luck.

#852 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Looking for a good first-buy hand gun. Have a few rifles/shotguns, but would like to start to get into target practice a bit now that my kids are older and safety isn't as much a concern. Looking for something on the smaller end, preferably not a revolver.Thanks.

Depending on your budget you can go in many different directions. Personally I prefer the all-metal classic 9mm designs like the Sig P226, CZ75, Browning Hi-Power, and Berreta 92. The modern striker fired pistols are reliable but the double action triggers tend to suck and they all feel cheap to me. Right now is a pretty terrible time to be trying to buy your first pistol, but if you can try and shoot a few first before you buy.

#853 4 years ago

Finally quit talking about it and got one a few weeks ago. Really wanted an Alien, but hard to rationalize the price tag. Only had it out once; the single action trigger might be a bit too good for a slug like me.

Shadow 2 (resized).jpgShadow 2 (resized).jpg
#854 4 years ago

There are a lot on the market for your first hand gun. depends on if you plan on carrying it or just for home defense. if carrying, I like the new springfield hellcat or sig p365. both feel good in the hand and have enough rounds to put a few down if needed. for sure go with a 9mm.

#855 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Start out with a .22 I have a Sig Mosquito .22 that my wife loves to shoot.

#856 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll start doing some research.

#857 4 years ago

Kahr PM9 for my carry gun. CM9 is basically the same gun for half the price though. I use to carry a Shield, but the Kahr feels much better, has a much nicer trigger and is more accurate for me because it fits so well.

#858 4 years ago

Prior to the National panic attack, I picked up a Springfield XDS with laser and 5 mags at the local farm store. Less than $340 out the door.

20200320_110016 (resized).jpg20200320_110016 (resized).jpg
#859 4 years ago

Damn that looks perfect for EDC! Inexpensive too...good score.

#860 4 years ago

One thing to remember... Lots of shit is talked on .40 S&W as a caliber these days, but that is basically the only caliber that you could readily get ammo for throughout the last gun run. Most gun shops around me are nearly sold out of ammo, and are only selling it to people who buy a gun at the same time now. Since a gun is kinda useless without ammo...

So keep that in mind if you are buying your first gun today. Buy something you can get ammo for, then go shoot it. Shoot it a lot, and get good at it.

#861 4 years ago

To all the beginners out there just now exercising their 2nd amendment rights, PLEASE take some time to learn all about your new protection device, ALWAYS assume it is loaded and for the love of all that is holy, PRACTICE using it!!
EVERYONE in your home needs to know how to use it and know the basics of firearm safe handling practices.

Quoted from JodyG:

Lots of shit is talked on .40 S&W as a caliber these days, but that is basically the only caliber that you could readily get ammo for throughout the last gun run.

I have it on good authority this is also the smallest caliber the DEA is permitted to carry.

Quoted from JodyG:

So keep that in mind if you are buying your first gun today. Buy something you can get ammo for, then go shoot it. Shoot it a lot, and get good at it.

+1

#862 4 years ago

Jumping on the bandwagon.

XD Mod2- my first purchase. Fires flawlessly, want a cheap flashlight for it. The laser I bought for it ran out of batteries in not even 1 hour.
S&W Bodyguard - pocket ccw gun. It fires..okay.
Calico M100 - a total basket case of a gun, but I had to have one.

Want a KRISS Vector, but don't need it.

IMG_20200320_101543 (resized).jpgIMG_20200320_101543 (resized).jpg
#863 4 years ago

Also if you are new to guns, Paul Harrell has some really informative videos on YouTube with no political BS. Just facts, demonstrations and real world testing. He's a bit like the love child of Walter Cronkite and Mr. Wizard.

#864 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Calico M100 - a total basket case of a gun, but I had to have one.
Want a KRISS Vector, but don't need it.[quoted image]

My dad has a calico and I love that thing just sucks sometimes you have to wind it up. I also want a kriss vector just because they are cool.

#865 4 years ago

Here is my recent build. Put it together last summer. It’s actually a high point! 9mm I call it my storm trooper gun
E0A86D17-58E3-45C9-AD90-EFB3C50DAFD7 (resized).jpegE0A86D17-58E3-45C9-AD90-EFB3C50DAFD7 (resized).jpeg

#866 4 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

My dad has a calico and I love that thing just sucks sometimes you have to wind it up. I also want a kriss vector just because they are cool.

In one range session, my friend and I had to fix it right on the range, almost taking it apart. It wasn't feeding nor firing right. The session after that at the range? Fired just fine. No issues.

#867 4 years ago

the calico does have its problems but it is fun and cool looking.

btw-I hope you all stocked up on ammo. I hear everyone is out of most of the popular stuff.

#868 4 years ago

for any of you rimfire shooters out there FYI i own Blackdogmachinellc.com not something i normally reveal but this is a safer thread for the topic!
now you know where and how other pin mods and parts are getting made

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll start doing some research.

Get a ruger mark2! That way when you are holding it wrong the slide will smash your hand instead of cutting it open.

#873 4 years ago

Background check system has been crashing for the last 3 days. Kinda lame!

#874 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Background check system has been crashing for the last 3 days. Kinda lame!

I can't imagine why.

#875 4 years ago

Friendly moderation reminder: this thread is not a place to discuss gun laws, at all. This is not a thread to discuss current events regarding gun laws. That is a can of worms we will simply not open as it leads to political debate that we will not tolerate in this thread.

Please read the rules for this thread in the opening post before you post in here or respond to any gun law related post. I deleted the posts above that violated this rule without moderation this time.

Please remember to report violations and do not respond to violations.

Thank you.

#876 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Friendly moderation reminder: this thread is not a place to discuss gun laws, at all. This is not a thread to discuss current events regarding gun laws. That is a can of worms we will simply not open as it leads to political debate that we will not tolerate in this thread.
Please read the rules for this thread in the opening post before you post in here or respond to any gun law related post. I deleted the posts above that violated this rule without moderation this time.
Thank you.

My apologies, I didn't know.

#877 4 years ago

Here in Nevada the back round check system has crashed. Nevada opted out of the Federal one to use their own because they could charge $25.
But if you have a CCW you get to walk out with one. The thing is most CCW holders are not buying as we already have.

For a first time buyer be sure to try them out. I've owned a bunch and my favorite carry is a Kimber .45 ultra carry II. I know they cost a little more but they really shoot great. I also like my Walther PPK. Easy to carry.
2020-03-20 21.25.05.jpg2020-03-20 21.25.05.jpg

#878 4 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Here is my recent build. Put it together last summer. It’s actually a high point! 9mm I call it my storm trooper gun
[quoted image]

Is that a Beretta CX? Just sold mine in a .40? Lots of fun to shoot and cheaper than 5.56.
Sorry, missed the High Point part, looks very similar.

#879 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Thank you.

Which way is is that? Law way....

#881 4 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

for any of you rimfire shooters out there FYI i own Blackdogmachinellc.com not something i normally reveal but this is a safer thread for the topic!
now you know where and how other pin mods and parts are getting made

Thanks for the info, I will check out your site.

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from avspin:

Is that a Beretta CX? Just sold mine in a .40? Lots of fun to shoot and cheaper than 5.56.
Sorry, missed the High Point part, looks very similar.

I wish it was a beretta. It is a high point 995 9mm with a franklin armory bullpup kit. I know people bag on high point but these rifles are awesome and they have a life time warranty. I bought three on the cheap and called high point about parts missing. Once I told them the serial numbers they said to send them in. They came back brand new basically. Only things they didn’t replace was the barrel and receiver. They even replaced the stocks! So got them all new and dropped one in the bullpup kit and have been having fun ever since. Only down fall is no aftermarket mags can be used or will void warranty. The kit is supposed to void it but can be changed over with no sign of using it.

#883 4 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I wish it was a beretta. It is a high point 995 9mm with a franklin armory bullpup kit. I know people bag on high point but these rifles are awesome and they have a life time warranty. I bought three on the cheap and called high point about parts missing. Once I told them the serial numbers they said to send them in. They came back brand new basically. Only things they didn’t replace was the barrel and receiver. They even replaced the stocks! So got them all new and dropped one in the bullpup kit and have been having fun ever since. Only down fall is no aftermarket mags can be used or will void warranty. The kit is supposed to void it but can be changed over with no sign of using it.

These are great for plinking and having fun with. here is what mine looked like. The Beretta could use the same mags in the CX4 or the PX4 pistol which is convenient if you have both.

2019-09-23 10.14.01.jpg2019-09-23 10.14.01.jpg
#884 4 years ago

Anyone trade pinball for target toys?

#885 4 years ago

Ammo seems to be a real cluster right now......my wife said "We have enough ammo...." I had to explain to my wife..... how we never, EVER say we have enough ammo....

#886 4 years ago
Quoted from jhozeska:

Guess it depends on what you have to offer

#887 4 years ago
Quoted from jhozeska:

I'm on the fence about keeping my Rawhide and also thinking about a 9mm wheel gun new or used.....hmmm

I haven't done pins for target toys before tho.

#888 4 years ago

Any other loaders out there? Less worries.

An excellent subsonic .300 Blkout recipe using Accurate 1680.

A63B829C-F6D8-488F-843A-1FD90DC82B84 (resized).jpegA63B829C-F6D8-488F-843A-1FD90DC82B84 (resized).jpeg989BBDB4-26E5-475F-8001-C0124FE4D1C5 (resized).jpeg989BBDB4-26E5-475F-8001-C0124FE4D1C5 (resized).jpeg
#889 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Blkout recipe using Accurate 1680.[quoted image][quoted image]

Just sent you a PM, looking for some other blackout recipes. Have about 12 die sets on hand.

#890 4 years ago

I took one of my Ruger AR 556 out yesterday. I put the Franklin binary trigger in it. I put 300 thru it. The binary will eat, the second tap is not easy to keep on target. It is not as much fun as a lightning link but worth the cost. I have a complete lower on backorder for 2 weeks now I wonder how long that will take in these times.

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

I took one of my Ruger AR 556 out yesterday. I put the Franklin binary trigger in it. I put 300 thru it. The binary will eat, the second tap is not easy to keep on target. It is not as much fun as a lightning link but worth the cost. I have a complete lower on backorder for 2 weeks now I wonder how long that will take in these times.

Last October I bought two complete lowers for $99 for a couple quick builds. I bought these from Sportsman's guide mini showroom since I live a few minutes from their corporate headquarters. One of them he had to sell me for 10% off because it was their demo in the display case (I don't want to know how many times it was snapped but I'm not one who worries about dry firing anymore)

One month later I bring my coworker in there because he wants one too. Salesperson tells me they haven't had any "in a few weeks". The below picture I took last week 3/18 a few minutes before they were supposed to open. I was turned away and I didn't stick around to see what he was changing the sign to but I can guess at least 1 of the 6 letter words he was about to put up......

Good luck!

IMG_4728[1] (resized).JPGIMG_4728[1] (resized).JPG
#892 4 years ago

10 at a time into the local gun shop. So far I hear they had good selection and plenty of ammo.
Only out of 12g bird shot.

FullSizeRender-5 (resized).jpegFullSizeRender-5 (resized).jpeg

#893 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

10 at a time into the local gun shop. So far I hear they had good selection and plenty of ammo.
Only out of 12g bird shot.
[quoted image]

Just got back from my local gun shop. Out of 223 and 40ACP. Picked up some 556 and some 32 ACP for my wife's gun. Plenty of 12 ga bulk in stock.

1 week later
#894 4 years ago

Very timely approval.

FullSizeRender-1 (resized).jpegFullSizeRender-1 (resized).jpeg

#895 4 years ago

Anyone have recommendations on where to buy ammo online? Only looking for 9mm at this time and the few sites I’ve checked have been tapped out despite the really expensive loads.

Also interested in picking up a bunch of paper targets for the range. What do you guys suggest?

#896 4 years ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

Anyone have recommendations on where to buy ammo online? Only looking for 9mm at this time and the few sites I’ve checked have been tapped out despite the really expensive loads.
Also interested in picking up a bunch of paper targets for the range. What do you guys suggest?

https://azfirearms.com

Local, very well stocked.
Go there or order online.
Also the owner and some of the staff are members of the Pinball community.
Good place.
Hit me up with a PM and I will send you the pinside account name of a friend there.

EDIT: Just looked at the site and looks like they haven’t updated it. I know the have been slammed the last week or so, but they do have stock.

#897 4 years ago

Cabelas is a disaster. Their site is not up to date , you spend an hour looking through the site find what looks to be in stock then 2 days later get a on back order email.

What was in stock has taken weeks and is in some bullshit limbo with fedex.

Since the merger and gutting of bass pro and cabelas it has gone to shit. Shame.

#898 4 years ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

sgammo.com is my go to. Great folks. Even in trying times.
They have 9mm, just ordered some.

#899 4 years ago
Quoted from avspin:

These are great for plinking and having fun with. here is what mine looked like. The Beretta could use the same mags in the CX4 or the PX4 pistol which is convenient if you have both.[quoted image]

I have both the Cx4 and Px4 in .40
Love the Cx4 - fun to shoot and highly accurate
Px4 is not my favorite, but makes a nice combo with the Cx4

#900 4 years ago

https://www.targetsportsusa.com is a good one but like many places, inventory fairly well depleted. I have received a back in stock e-mail for some synthetic jacket 9mm for steel matches and both times it was wiped out before I could log on. It's a bit pricey and kind of purpose specific so the locusts must be grabbing anything below a certain price point that isn't nailed down.

There are 2,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gun-and-target-hobbyiest-and-enthusiats-club/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.