Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3E66447F-1321-4FF5-B049-82D025E70109 (resized).png
Rectifier simulation (resized).jpg
Gulfstream rectifier short (resized).jpg
21482DC4-40D3-479C-A19C-FF3E63118431 (resized).jpeg
25E999BA-0674-4E69-89AA-E1CA10108081 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikala.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I did a full restoration on this Gulfstream five years ago. Has played perfectly ever since. In the middle of a game the other night, the playfield and backbox lights all started flashing, and not necessarily in sync. Loud buzzing from all over the machine. I quickly flipped the power off and gave it a rest. Flipped it back on, hit the left flipper button, GI came on, no problems. I hit the start button, game reset then all heck broke loose again, then the 110 fuse blew. I have given the machine a full go over twice, once sober. Have not yet found any loose wires or broken parts anywhere yet. I am going to get into this today. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I’m going to start with isolating the playfield and backbox first and see what happens.

#3 3 years ago

I have narrowed it down to this 18 pin Jones plug from the playfield. If I leave it out, game reset fine. Once I plug it in, the 110v fuse blows. Now I just have to figure out what these all go to.

25E999BA-0674-4E69-89AA-E1CA10108081 (resized).jpeg25E999BA-0674-4E69-89AA-E1CA10108081 (resized).jpeg
#4 3 years ago

Do you think Im looking in the right direction? I’m going to check these three relays and two reset banks.

21482DC4-40D3-479C-A19C-FF3E63118431 (resized).jpeg21482DC4-40D3-479C-A19C-FF3E63118431 (resized).jpeg

#6 3 years ago

With the slo-blow removed, it does the same thing. Ball count stepper starts to count balls up to 3, loud unusual buzzing on and off as it steps. I kill the power before it goes to end. If I let it go to end, it will blow 110 fuse.

So is it safe to rule out the two reset banks?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Seems like it! You could also try to remove the 10 amp bridge rectifier fuse in case the bumpers or flippers are involved.

Tested, no different.

Also triple checked three suspected relays. 3-in line, special, & coin. All look fine.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Look for a coil that stays energized but drops out when you cut the power.

This is a little difficult for this reason.
With PF up, I hit the start button, machine resets and then goes black/off, like a slam tilt was activated. Left flipper brings it back to life.
PF up, I hold the ball trough switch closed, emulating a ball in there, I hit the start button, ball count unit starts to count up, loud buzzing between the count up, if I let it finish, it will blow fuse. Happens so fast, hard to see what’s going on with relays. I’ll switch to 5 ball and see if that gives me more time.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

You can put the score motor into service position and turn it by hand.
You can also try slo-mo video recording on your phone.

Unfortunately, this machine is before service switches were installed.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

There is a jack you can move so the score motor is in service position.

Just found it, it was not in normal place.

#17 3 years ago

Thank you, I’ll be looking into both of these suggestions tomorrow.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

A shorted DC bumper rectifier might be the problem. Its fuse is on the DC side, and will not help if rectifier is internally shorted. Try removing one of the AC leads going to rectifier.
Since probably only one of the 4 diodes inside the rectifier is shorted, it will short only one half of the AC sinewave input, causing DC current to flow through transformer 24VAC secondary, saturating the transformer core. That is why the 110V primary fuse blows before the 24V secondary fuse.

G.. I love you guys and Pinside. It was the bridge rectifier. I replaced it and I am up and playing like new. Thank you Tuukka!!!

#22 3 years ago

@ Tuukka- I used a rectifier from my parts box, but I would like to grab a couple extra for future. Which of these are the correct replacement? The 100v or the 400v?

3E66447F-1321-4FF5-B049-82D025E70109 (resized).png3E66447F-1321-4FF5-B049-82D025E70109 (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikala.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gulfstream-went-full-exorcist-amp-blew-110v-fuse?tu=mikala and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.