(Topic ID: 137672)

Gulfstream Tech Help (Special bank not resetting, etc)

By ReallifePin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by fireball2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KINDLE_CAMERA_1441279351000.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi there,
I've been working on a Gulfstream for a while now but I haven't been able to get some things working yet.
They may be related so I'll tell you everything that is going on with it.
The two main issue that I can't figure out are the reset bank under the playfield doesn't reset and the flippers are reversed. It should reset the "special letters and the tic-tac-toe numbers but doesn't ever reset. The flipper wiring appears correct by looking at wire colors from buttons to coils.
The other issues, in case they are related, are no 5x scores registered, either 500 or 5000. The kickout holes don't kick out despite good switch contact. Finally, the numbers don't advance on the tic-tac-toe grid.
I feel like I've looked at most possible causes but I wanted to throw it out the to see if any of you wanted to take a crack at it. I have the manual and schematic in hand if you have any suggestions.

KINDLE_CAMERA_1441279351000.jpgKINDLE_CAMERA_1441279351000.jpg

#2 8 years ago

There may be an advance stepper involved, step it manually, and see if lites move. then maybe score motor switches for advance and bank reset??

#3 8 years ago

each of the bank reset 120v coils should be fuse protected, find them and check them

#4 8 years ago

Finally, the numbers don't advance on the tic-tac-toe grid.

To fix this you need to check, clean, adjust, switch 1A on the 100 point relay. You will need to remove the relay in order to reach the switch. Look in your manual on the last page, 100 point relay. It may take you 2-3 tries in order to get this switch right. The match unit is responsible for advancing these lights.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to help out mikala, Dave and Dr.
The fuse is good but I'll trace backwards until I get power.
I'll also dig in to the 100 point relay. Also double check everything on the match unit. Didn't think about that before. Thanks.

Anyone have any thoughts on the backwards flippers? I've never seen anything like it.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Anyone have any thoughts on the backwards flippers? I've never seen anything like it.

Maybe explain this a bit more. Not sure what you mean. Does the left cabinet switch operate the right flipper?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Maybe explain this a bit more. Not sure what you mean. Does the left cabinet switch operate the right flipper?

Sorry, yeah. The left button activates the right flipper and vice versa. The wiring is correct (looking) but they are reversed. I'll be honest, I don't know how that's even possible.

#8 8 years ago

my guess on the flipper problem would be the jones plug wires for the flippers got reversed if it got changed.

#9 8 years ago

That sounds like a bad joke.
My stop n go has reversed flippers, "they flip out instead of in like normal flippers".
it messes with my head playin it.
I imagine the buttons controlling opposite sides would feel much the same.?
Wonder if any other pins were wired like that?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

my guess on the flipper problem would be the jones plug wires for the flippers got reversed if it got changed.

That is something I hadn't thought of. I'll look at that. Thanks.

#11 8 years ago

My guess is that pinballdaveh is correct, and that the jones plug flip is also causing the other issues. Although, most jones plug setups have something that sorta makes it hard to plug it in backwards.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

My guess is that pinballdaveh is correct, and that the jones plug flip is also causing the other issues. Although, most jones plug setups have something that sorta makes it hard to plug it in backwards.

It was Jones plug related for sure. Not at all sure what was happening but I cleaned all of the Jones plug connectors and when I plugged them back in almost everything works again.
I haven't ever done it before but I'm thinking maybe I had one of the Jones plugs plugged in one position too low.
Regardless, all of your suggestions gave me a second wind and more confidence to find the issue. Thanks for taking the time. I always appreciate it.

#13 8 years ago

Yay! I've even forgotten to hook one up before and spent 1/2 an hour searching for bad switches until I went... duh, look at that!
Congrats on getting it working, and now you have another bit of knowledge and something else to check on the next busted machine.

mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gulfstream-tech-help-special-bank-not-resetting-etc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.