Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,980 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 hours ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 82 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8864 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8863 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240407_155527588 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240407_155535348 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240407_155543392 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240323_152655080 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240323_150844690 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240323_150759249 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240323_150747761 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240323_150736772 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1255 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
    432733713_7511479632206099_8792725856990103313_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_7784 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7786 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7783 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1592 Possible date for sept tourney. Posted by Nevus (6 years ago)

Post #3395 Pinball story in Shreveport featuring Nevis. Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #3580 The club getting a both at TPF. Posted by Nevus (5 years ago)

Post #5189 Charitable event in Houston. Posted by lizzyd (2 years ago)

Post #5398 Wife present of the year for 2021! Posted by Bfults (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4159 4 years ago
    Quoted from action76:

I would love to do a tournament there but I can't do a weekday because of travel. What about a Sunday?

I agree... About 2 hours to Monroe from the Jackson area, so a Sunday afternoon might work, depending on what Sunday it is.
    Saturday afternoon would be better, but there was a LOT of people there on the Saturday night that I came by to look.
    Kind of like a carnival or state fair atmosphere.
    The pinball machines are somewhat separated from the rest of the masses near a wall.
    It might be possible to put up some of those walk separators you see to keep people in line for a movie theatre, to keep out running children and such from interfering with the machines and tournament play.
    Nice place though and close access to the restrooms.
    Very nice lineup of machines too, with brand new, 1st rate Stern machines.
    Enormous place with good air conditioning and lighting.
    The machines work off electronic key cards, purchased at a central Kiosk.

1 week later
    #4187 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Thanks and I will!
    I’m still waging a civilian campaign to get Mudflaps back to Louisiana. Maybe I’ll write a letter to Sec Def Mattis!

I worked in New Jersey for about a year and unless he is used to cold weather, he going to wish he was back South when the whiteout hits and the snow blows horizontally... I never realized that you might need a humidifier until I lived up North and I realized that dry skin makes you itch all over. Never had any nosebleed problems until I realized no humidity could cause that problem also. Every day in the winter was miserable in the arctic tundra region and then you had to shovel snow and I did not even have a snow shovel.

#4189 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I survived 7 winters in Minot, North Dakota. New Jersey won’t be a problem.

We'll do a recheck on that when it hurts to walk outside around January timeframe...

1 week later
    #4194 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

If you need a address or directions let me know.

I sent you a PM already. Please send me your address...

7 months later
    #4756 3 years ago
    Quoted from action76:

Picked this up on a looooong road trip this weekend.
    [quoted image]

Cool...

4 weeks later
    #4804 3 years ago

Central City Steak and Seafood in Baton Rouge...

IMG_20200620_141321 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_141321 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #4835 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I really can’t wait till we can play tourneys again and have pin parties. I’m beginning to wonder if the IFPA plans to have tourneys again in 2020 at all though.

I agree... I really don't see why we can't have tournaments now. As long as safe practices are observed, there should not be a problem.

1 month later
    #4884 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Hey kvolak,
    Did u evacuate for Hurricane Laura, or hunker down and ride it out in Leesville area?
    Damage assessment? Not too bad, I hope.
    Any mini tornadoes whip thru by you?

I drove up from Houston Wednesday, through the Leesville area and Hwy 190 was blocked going North at a few locations on that road, detouring traffic. Law enforcement was at those blockades to make sure no one could get past the roadblock into what I assume is a swampy area. There were no signs or discussion on why that was done and the law enforcement did not seem interested in waiting for anyone to talk about it either. I assume the low area did not allow normal traffic to drive through during a possible hurricane. I had to go a long way around over some dams, west of that area.

3 weeks later
    #4904 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Looking at my calendar, I'm open the first weekend in October. We should have cool weather by then.
    How do you all feel about a pinball party at my house Sat 10/3/20?

Unless something bad happens, I also plan to attend.

#4916 3 years ago

Looks like the escalara was a great investment.
    Nice lineup with no damage during a big storm like that is pretty remarkable.

1 week later
    #4935 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I had so much fun catching up I hardly played any games and didn't take a single picture.

I got one...

IMG_20201003_160352 (resized).jpgIMG_20201003_160352 (resized).jpg
    #4938 3 years ago
    Quoted from EasternBloc:

Was really proud of my Gamatron score. That’s one of the coolest physical ball locks I’ve ever seen.
    [quoted image]

That machine reminds me of Freefall with those manual locks.

#4956 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rougarou:

(Formerly PinballRouge)
    Really hoping this storm stops moving west and doesn’t gain much strength as it moves through the Gulf. I thought it was finally Baton Rouge’s turn but now it looks like Lafayette/Lake Charles again. Please everyone stay safe and reach out if you need anything.
    On a less tense note, I’m considering experimenting a few of my EM’s by replacing the logic relays, steppers, and motor with a single digital controller to drive the playfield and scoring solenoids solenoids. I am curious whether that would be something others are interested in. It removes most of the failure points on an EM but doesn’t keep the inside original. Anyone seen anything like this?

Isn't that what they did with the Pabst Can Crusher?
    Took an EM type machine and put solid state electronics in it, but it still appears like an EM from the outside if you ignore the sounds and such.

#4964 3 years ago

Wow, somebody is going to need a chainsaw to remove that tree...
    Probably gonna need a new boat too..
    Maybe the motor and other parts are still ok and can be installed on a new boat.

#4969 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvolak:

We're okay here. No extra damage to our house, still waiting for the contractor to fix it from the last damn hurricane. Power is out so I'm taking a day trip to Houston. Any ideas for a place I can swing in and play pinball? Going to be near the IKEA. And by IKEA I mean Whataburger. XD

About 2 weeks ago, I visited a place in North Houston/Spring, Tx called Game Preserve:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/4773-the-game-preserve-spring-tx
    Pretty unique place with lots of pinball and other stuff.
    $15 entry and you play everything for free.
    I think they have another location somewhere near downtown Houston also, but I did not see that place.

#4973 3 years ago
    Quoted from vendalah:

Dent00 that boat was not running, sentimental value only. And we will be paying pros to move all the trees. Just a lot of headache and money. Sorry we missed you in Shreveport!

Well, you know what they say about boats... Its a hole in the water that you pour money into. If you had insurance, it might be time to collect... Also, if it was me, I would be considering an investment in a nice Stihl chain saw instead of paying for loggers. But that is just me... I guess I'm just cheap, but I don't mind working a little bit.
    Nevus's setup in Shreveport is neat. He got a Stranger Things, so we got to try to hit the demagorg. I think I hit it once or twice. I also like the Total Nuclear Annihilation machine he has. That game will keep you on your toes. Beatles is also an interesting game. In general, a really nice lineup. Nice air conditioned brick building in the back yard too.

3 weeks later
    #4997 3 years ago
    Quoted from lizzyd:

The girls’ orthodontist has the new GNR pinball. Loved it! The music sounds amazing and the game is beautiful.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like Lizzy got the high score. Those games look awesome. I usually hate going to the dentist, but I might make an exception if my dentist had machines like that in the waiting area.

2 months later
    #5052 3 years ago

I for one, am happy that there is a pinball event that I can attend.
    I plan to have fun and play a lot of pinball.
    If I get to play some other people, that would be great.

2 weeks later
    #5061 3 years ago

I got a few

IMG_20210123_161531 (resized).jpgIMG_20210123_161531 (resized).jpgIMG_20210123_173316 (resized).jpgIMG_20210123_173316 (resized).jpg
    #5063 3 years ago

Congrats... I like that shirt too...

1 week later
    #5070 3 years ago

Unless something bad happens, I plan to attend.
    I'm not bringing any babies...

#5071 3 years ago
    Quoted from ElCid95:

Here’s a pic of the first part of my topper for the new Alien pin. Watcha think?
    [quoted image]

Those green LEDs have an interesting effect on that game. That little alien looks angry!

1 week later
    #5075 3 years ago

I would bet money that if you wait about 6 months to a year, used GNR machines will be back on the market at better prices, while some owners seek to trade up to the next new machine.

#5078 3 years ago

The front CV axels on my wife's 2010 Chevrolet Equinox were making popping sounds, so I am installing new CV axels, rotors, brake pads, lower control arms and hubs. I watched some you tube videos to learn how to do it. It has not been easy, but I am learning. I like learning new things.

IMG_20210211_170511 (resized).jpgIMG_20210211_170511 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #5095 3 years ago

had fun at the event in Flowood today. I snapped one photo that I thought I would share...

IMG_20210227_134002 (resized).jpgIMG_20210227_134002 (resized).jpg
    #5106 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Flipper gap seemed fine. Stephen said it was low production. I liked it because of the unusual asymmetry. Although an 80s game, there is digital organ music that plays. Not groundbreaking, but different and fun.

The music on Ice Fever sounded like hockey music that they play at hockey games when you score a goal.
    I went to one hockey game in New Jersey one time for some devils or something, so I have heard it.
    Hockey is not really a thing here in Mississippi, as far as I know.
    You have to drop 3 targets in front of the goal and hit the captive ball to score.
    :
    Genie works now also.
    I managed to drop all the red targets and hit the extra ball standup target one time. And it works...
    That game sort of reminds me of Paragon with the wide body and left bumper that can drain on one path.

2 weeks later
    #5115 3 years ago

Maybe its time to make a call on the bat phone.

1 month later
    #5147 2 years ago

I visited the Captain's Wearhouse in Anaheim, California yesterday and played for about 4 hours, while I was in the area working.
    Social distancing and masks were required.
    Almost no one there except me.
    I snapped one photo.
    I played Led Zeppelin, Avengers IQ, Heist and many others.

IMG_20210428_164233 (resized).jpgIMG_20210428_164233 (resized).jpg
    #5149 2 years ago

This was the showroom part of his operation and all the games were pretty much perfect, except for a few that had signs that they were being worked on.
    The warehouse section was off limits, I think, but I did not ask.
    There were about 60 machines in this room, so there was plenty to investigate.

#5156 2 years ago

I visited the Pinball Portal in Marietta, Georgia today. Pretty cool place with reasonable prices. About 50 machines.

IMG_20210505_190757 (resized).jpgIMG_20210505_190757 (resized).jpg
    #5164 2 years ago

For SAM system machines, I highly recommend the PIN PAC 2 SAM MAC from Pinnovators.
    They have other systems for different type machines as well.
    The system includes a headphone jack on the front with volume control and separate volume control buttons for the machine.
    Also includes a sub woofer output in the back box on a circuit card there.
    I also purchased the optional audio cable to use with my self powered sub woofer.
    See attached.
    https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/pinpac2-mac_sam-headphone-kit-for-stern-sam-systems

#5172 2 years ago

I visited the Chattanooga Pinball Museum today. Pretty cool place. Lots to see. They had Hot Wheels, which I had never seen. I put the high score on that one after several attempts.

IMG_20210512_183749 (resized).jpgIMG_20210512_183749 (resized).jpgIMG_20210512_183726 (resized).jpgIMG_20210512_183726 (resized).jpg
    #5176 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Man, you go to some cool places.

I go to a lot of places, but I only mention the ones that are interesting.
    Some places I go are not somewhere you want to be on a regular basis, with no pinball and not so cool of an environment.
    The area this place is located in downtown Chattanooga is scenic with many restaurants and such.
    For $21.38, you too can experience this place from 2PM-9PM on most days.
    They say it is $20, but there is $1.38 tax added to that on entry and you get an orange wristband.
    About 25% of the machines were contemporary DMD machines, about 50% were solid state and the remainder were EMs.
    Most machines were working, but some had issues.
    There were a LOT of a machines here.
    They had at least 10 older machines that I had never seen or played before (mostly EMs).
    OXO, Orbiter, Volcano, Big Brave, Gorgar, Dominos Pizza, etc., etc.
    I played almost all of them once, maybe twice.
    They even had one machine from overseas somewhere about motorcycles and one giant machine that I bypassed.
    I was more interested in Hot Wheels and Harley Davidson (Stern) than anything else.
    It seems like the owner really likes Twilight Zone and the Adams Family, that were in a prominent location.
    Every machine had a little plastic placard on it to describe the vintage, manufacturer and general info on the machine.
    Much like David Yopp does at a bar in Memphis on his machines.
    It is worth a visit if you are in the area, it is unique.

#5178 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vegas9:

Happy to hear you enoyed Hot Wheels so much. As things open up, more people will discocer this gem.

Yeah, it was cool.. Baby Tyranosaurus, Big Monkey, Little Cobras, etc, etc...
    Very nice graphics and pretty good flow with funny call outs from time to time.
    American Pinball is an unknown quantity for me...
    Not Stern, Not Williams, Not Gottlieb, not even JJP, Chicago Pinball, Spooky or that other company in Round Rock, Texas..

2 months later
    #5256 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Guess you won’t be needing that silly old Sorcerer any longer and you’ll be tossing it out…right?

"silly" sorcerer... He He He... That's cute. Almost sounds like a new game.

2 months later
    #5336 2 years ago

I also want to thank James for hosting.
    His place is definitely off the beaten path, but I think that is the way that he wants it.
    James also did a great job fixing minor problems on several machines so that the tournament could proceed normally.
    You can tell that this was not the first time that he has repaired a pinball machine.

2 months later
    #5395 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bfults:

Thanks to everyone who came out to the Tinsel, Tidings and Tilting Pinball Tournament yesterday. I think everyone had a great time.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It was fun at Brian's house. Nice lineup of machines.

#5397 2 years ago
    Quoted from EasternBloc:

Congrats to the winners! There are an impressive number of both speed traps and Christmas lights to look at between us.

I think there was actually a permanent sign near a small town, I think Ferriday, Louisiana, that read something like "beware of speed trap". And the name of the guy that put up the sign was on it.

1 month later
    #5432 2 years ago

Here's a few...

IMG_20220115_163718288 (resized).jpgIMG_20220115_163718288 (resized).jpgIMG_20220115_163727517 (resized).jpgIMG_20220115_163727517 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #5488 2 years ago

I was working in Fort Lauderdale, Florida the past few days and I was able to use my QR code for the first time on a Rush Pro and a Godzilla Pro at an interesting place called Glitch Bar. Lots of millennials there playing sophisticated video games. The nice pinball machines were in a locked room with a key code entry, which I was given. Not sure why they had to lock them up. When I told the guy at the door that I had come there specifically to play their new Rush machine, they gave me the code for the door.

#5492 2 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

Weird. Even with millennials there.

The really weird part was that all the video games in the place were on free play with a $7 cover, unless you bought an alcoholic beverage.
    I don't drink, but when I told the guy at the door that I had come specifically to play Rush, he let me in with no cover.
    The pinball machines were $1 per play in a locked room with a number code entry on the door.
    Two machines not in the locked room were in the bar area and they were also $1 per play.

1 week later
    #5504 2 years ago

I watched Jessica Thaxton win the ladies event this morning at TPF on stream.
    It was epic.

#5512 2 years ago
    Quoted from action76:

Here are a couple of after pics. We were so excited![quoted image][quoted image]

Nice hat.

5 months later
    #5616 1 year ago
    Quoted from EasternBloc:

Just a reminder, Lake Monster Madness is next Saturday, the 17th! Full details on the event listing:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/events/lake-monster-madness-2022
    All are welcome, I'll have gumbo and some other treats in the kitchen for all who make the journey to the most rural pinball collection in the state.
    [quoted image]

Is there a name for that mythical lake monster?

1 week later
    #5623 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

A few tournaments coming up in October in MS & LA:
    * Oct 1st, pinball tournaments in N MS, Corinth, MS
    * Oct 15, women's tourney, Flowood, MS
    * Oct 22, pinball tournaments, near Leesville, LA
    * Oct 29, pinball tournament & halloween party, Flowood, MS

Lots of tournaments scheduled from now til end of Dec in TX.
    No pinball tournaments scheduled yet in Nov & Dec in LA or in MS.

I thought there was going to be a tournament in Longville this year...
    What happened to that?

2 months later
    #5677 1 year ago

I had a good time at the Wayback Arcade and the event. Most of the machines were in reasonable shape and the ones that were not, were being repaired by a guy who worked for several hours during the event. The repair guy also was trying to instruct some of the locals on how to maintain and operate the machines properly. The arcade owner seems pretty intent on making all the machines work 100%. I would also prefer a Saturday event, assuming there is an option for that.

9 months later
    #5877 7 months ago

I visited Pins and Pints in Fairhope, Alabama for a tournament today.
    All Spike 2 machines at this place.
    I took a few photos and met another twitch friend in Foley, Alabama.
    See below...

Fairhope1 (resized).jpgFairhope1 (resized).jpgFairhope2 (resized).jpgFairhope2 (resized).jpgImoto (resized).jpgImoto (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gulf-coast-pinball-club-se-texas-sw-louisiana?tu=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.