63AFC457-2E97-4F9A-AF05-243985F8B364 (resized).jpeg
UpsideDown.jpg
IMG_6109.JPG
IMG_6107.JPG
IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6105-129.JPG
IMG_6112.JPG
IMG_6113-453.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

DISCLAIMER: The procedure I describe here may devalue your game to some collectors. It could also be described as overkill. If you know how to adjust, file and repair leaf switches, by all means do that instead. I decided that I wanted to bulletproof my Black Knight for league and tournaments, and that's why I've gone down this path.

For each switch, you will need these items:

Microswitch bracket with 3/16" mounting holes (left- or right-handed):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-12356
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-12356-1

Williams/Bally Rollover Sub-Microswitch 5647-12693-19:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=829

Williams/Bally #2-56 x 7/16" Microswitch screw:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=230

1N4004 diode:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=173

3/16" clear tubing, or heatshrink tubing

#2 9 years ago

Before and after pics of the switch actuators (as seen from above the playfield):

IMG_6113-453.JPGIMG_6113-453.JPG
IMG_6112.JPGIMG_6112.JPG

Before and after pics of the switches (under the playfield):

IMG_6105-129.JPGIMG_6105-129.JPG
IMG_6110.JPGIMG_6110.JPG

#3 9 years ago

Mounting the microswitch correctly requires very small movements. The switch-side of the actuator should touch the edge of the slot, while still allowing the full range of motion for the switch. Centering it in the slot is important too, to avoid "sticking".

The PBL actuators are a different shape than the stock actuator for my Black Knight, but I didn't find that it made any difference. The inlane switch still works from both directions. Here they are, old in front, new in back:

IMG_6107.JPGIMG_6107.JPG

#4 9 years ago

I like to put the switch diode inline with either the drive ("column") or input ("row") wire, and then cover the splice with clear plastic tubing. The banded side of the diode must face the drive side, but it doesn't matter which wire you put it on. Pick the wire that needs additional length, if you face that situation.

Solder the free end of the diode to the Normal Open (NO) lug, and the other wire to the common ("C) lug. If you get them reversed, it doesn't matter - so again, you use this to your advantage if you come up short on wire length (as I did in the picture below).

IMG_6109.JPGIMG_6109.JPG

#5 9 years ago

Is this upgrade worth the hassle? I think so, particularly if you have a bad leaf switch that you're swapping out anyway. A microswitch will never need adjusting or cleaning. Also, I think that the signal to the CPU has a longer duration when the ball flies over the switch. I had a perfectly clean and adjusted leaf switch on my left outlane, and there were several times the ball flew over it and didn't give me credit. Not a huge deal for most games, but if "LAST CHANCE" is lit on Black Knight and that switch doesn't work, it's infuriating.

I welcome criticism of my wiring and soldering. I'm not a pro, just sharing what worked for me.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Most people never realize how many issues in that era come from leaf switches that were assembled incorrectly from the factory. A lot of them had one leaf upside down, which caused the back side of the rivet to wear off the gold plating, and thus require way too much cleaning to keep them functional.
-Hans

AHA! That's exactly what I discovered with mine. I just assumed it was a bad repair. Good to know!!

#10 9 years ago

I found several leaf switches riveted (or assembled) backwards; it's crazy that it took me 16 years to figure it out.

6 months later
#13 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

What screws did you use to anchor the switch bracket down?
#6 or #8 x 3/8" hex sheet metal? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I used the smaller screw - I didn't want to have any screw pops.

#15 9 years ago

No kidding, working switches are awesome!!

I can't believe millions of switches were assembled backwards...epic fail. Or perhaps a very devious kind of planned obsolescence.

2 months later
#20 8 years ago

Mof, several switches weren't registering reliably. It turns out the switch stacks were made incorrectly (with the contact facing the wrong way). Also, see my post #5 above. It's not really such a drastic change. The trough switches in the LE models were already microswitch-based. I just extended that improvement to all of the factory-borked switches.

I agree that if your switches were made correctly and they are registering reliably, this mod is not needed.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

When you notice a switch is installed improperly, why not just take it apart, and reverse the part?

I tried that, and decided it was more hassle than it was worth. Purely a personal choice.

2 years later
#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Limited89:

Stupid question will this set up work for the upper level multi-ball lock?

I’ll have to look at mine to see if I did those too. Unfortunately my BK is in storage at the moment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 1,059.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-upgrading-early-ss-rollover-switches-to-microswitches?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.