63AFC457-2E97-4F9A-AF05-243985F8B364 (resized).jpeg
UpsideDown.jpg
IMG_6109.JPG
IMG_6107.JPG
IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6105-129.JPG
IMG_6112.JPG
IMG_6113-453.JPG
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

DISCLAIMER: The procedure I describe here may devalue your game to some collectors. It could also be described as overkill. If you know how to adjust, file and repair leaf switches, by all means do that instead. I decided that I wanted to bulletproof my Black Knight for league and tournaments, and that's why I've gone down this path.

For each switch, you will need these items:

Microswitch bracket with 3/16" mounting holes (left- or right-handed):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-12356
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-12356-1

Williams/Bally Rollover Sub-Microswitch 5647-12693-19:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=829

Williams/Bally #2-56 x 7/16" Microswitch screw:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=230

1N4004 diode:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=173

3/16" clear tubing, or heatshrink tubing

#2 9 years ago

Before and after pics of the switch actuators (as seen from above the playfield):

IMG_6113-453.JPGIMG_6113-453.JPG
IMG_6112.JPGIMG_6112.JPG

Before and after pics of the switches (under the playfield):

IMG_6105-129.JPGIMG_6105-129.JPG
IMG_6110.JPGIMG_6110.JPG

#3 9 years ago

Mounting the microswitch correctly requires very small movements. The switch-side of the actuator should touch the edge of the slot, while still allowing the full range of motion for the switch. Centering it in the slot is important too, to avoid "sticking".

The PBL actuators are a different shape than the stock actuator for my Black Knight, but I didn't find that it made any difference. The inlane switch still works from both directions. Here they are, old in front, new in back:

IMG_6107.JPGIMG_6107.JPG

#4 9 years ago

I like to put the switch diode inline with either the drive ("column") or input ("row") wire, and then cover the splice with clear plastic tubing. The banded side of the diode must face the drive side, but it doesn't matter which wire you put it on. Pick the wire that needs additional length, if you face that situation.

Solder the free end of the diode to the Normal Open (NO) lug, and the other wire to the common ("C) lug. If you get them reversed, it doesn't matter - so again, you use this to your advantage if you come up short on wire length (as I did in the picture below).

IMG_6109.JPGIMG_6109.JPG

#5 9 years ago

Is this upgrade worth the hassle? I think so, particularly if you have a bad leaf switch that you're swapping out anyway. A microswitch will never need adjusting or cleaning. Also, I think that the signal to the CPU has a longer duration when the ball flies over the switch. I had a perfectly clean and adjusted leaf switch on my left outlane, and there were several times the ball flew over it and didn't give me credit. Not a huge deal for most games, but if "LAST CHANCE" is lit on Black Knight and that switch doesn't work, it's infuriating.

I welcome criticism of my wiring and soldering. I'm not a pro, just sharing what worked for me.

#6 9 years ago

Is it worth the hassle? Most definitely for that era of Williams. Most people never realize how many issues in that era come from leaf switches that were assembled incorrectly from the factory. A lot of them had one leaf upside down, which caused the back side of the rivet to wear off the gold plating, and thus require way too much cleaning to keep them functional.

-Hans

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Most people never realize how many issues in that era come from leaf switches that were assembled incorrectly from the factory. A lot of them had one leaf upside down, which caused the back side of the rivet to wear off the gold plating, and thus require way too much cleaning to keep them functional.
-Hans

AHA! That's exactly what I discovered with mine. I just assumed it was a bad repair. Good to know!!

#8 9 years ago

Nope, not bad repair, that was a factory screwup.

#9 9 years ago

Bookmarking Just in case

#10 9 years ago

I found several leaf switches riveted (or assembled) backwards; it's crazy that it took me 16 years to figure it out.

4 months later
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I found several leaf switches riveted (or assembled) backwards; it's crazy that it took me 16 years to figure it out.

Don't feel bad, Williams shipped tens of thousands of games in that condition.

-Hans

1 week later
#12 9 years ago

What screws did you use to anchor the switch bracket down?
#6 or #8 x 3/8" hex sheet metal? Thanks!

1 month later
#13 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

What screws did you use to anchor the switch bracket down?
#6 or #8 x 3/8" hex sheet metal? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I used the smaller screw - I didn't want to have any screw pops.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm pretty sure I used the smaller screw - I didn't want to have any screw pops.

Cool, I actually just ended up reusing the screws on the old hardware. Either way the game is fun again, thanks!

#15 9 years ago

No kidding, working switches are awesome!!

I can't believe millions of switches were assembled backwards...epic fail. Or perhaps a very devious kind of planned obsolescence.

1 month later
#16 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

No kidding, working switches are awesome!!

Since you have done this to black knight, I'm considering the same for mine while I have the pf out, can you post a list of how many of what you ordered to do all of the switches for BK? Thank you swampfire!

Edit:
I just ordered 6 of each... I'll need more in the future, thank you for the how to!

#17 8 years ago

Thanks for posting this!

1 month later
#18 8 years ago

Can you discuss the symptoms you were experiencing that led you to make such a drastic change? I'm missing some context.
thanks,
mof

#19 8 years ago

HAHAHA your right, I never noticed that before.

UpsideDown.jpgUpsideDown.jpg

#20 8 years ago

Mof, several switches weren't registering reliably. It turns out the switch stacks were made incorrectly (with the contact facing the wrong way). Also, see my post #5 above. It's not really such a drastic change. The trough switches in the LE models were already microswitch-based. I just extended that improvement to all of the factory-borked switches.

I agree that if your switches were made correctly and they are registering reliably, this mod is not needed.

#21 8 years ago

When you notice a switch is installed improperly, why not just take it apart, and reverse the part?

-mof

#22 8 years ago

But then you won't have a BK LE.

Only other thing the LE had was the decal on the apron if I recall.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

When you notice a switch is installed improperly, why not just take it apart, and reverse the part?

I tried that, and decided it was more hassle than it was worth. Purely a personal choice.

2 years later
#24 6 years ago

I know this is an older thread but I have a couple of questions. In post #2 , picture 4 shows the 2 microswitches with the diode bands oriented in different directions. Of the 2 microswitches, which one is correct? Shouldn't the diode band be oriented like the one in post #4 for all microswitches? Thanks.

#25 6 years ago

Good eye catching that, but if will look again you will notice that the OP has the silver band facing the green wires in all cases which is correct.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Good eye catching that, but if will look again you will notice that the OP has the silver band facing the green wires in all cases which is correct.

Thanks for the reply GRUMPY. So the 4th picture in post #2 is correct?

#27 6 years ago

Williams is not the only company that put the switch together wrong from the factory. I would say every classic Stern and most Bally's have leaf switch put together wrong.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Talonslair:

So the 4th picture in post #2 is correct?

Yes both switches even tho they are different from each other the band still goes to the green wires.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes both switches even tho they are different from each other the band still goes to the green wires.

Understood. Thanks a bunch!

4 months later
#30 6 years ago

Stupid question will this set up work for the upper level multi-ball lock?

#31 6 years ago

I may try this. I added capacitors to the outlane leaf switches on my Eight Ball Deluxe because they’re not reliable. It hasn’t helped. In fact, the caps are causing false triggering of the switches.

4 months later
#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Limited89:

Stupid question will this set up work for the upper level multi-ball lock?

I’ll have to look at mine to see if I did those too. Unfortunately my BK is in storage at the moment.

3 years later
#33 2 years ago

Why not reply EVERY extant leaf switch with microswitches?

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from lothian:

Why not reply EVERY extant leaf switch with microswitches?

It’s doable!

http://villagebbs.com/forum/index.php?topic=43065

7 months later
#35 1 year ago

I haven't heard anyone say anything about capacitors. Are they no longer needed with this mod? If needed, where do they go?

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

I haven't heard anyone say anything about capacitors. Are they no longer needed with this mod? If needed, where do they go?

Black Knight doesn't use caps on the switches, but yeah if the regular switch you are replacing had them like on a Bally, you'd want them on the microswitches.

#37 1 year ago

I’m wondering why you would not change to a MRS ( magnetic reed switch)?

#38 1 year ago

I did replace the drop target switches and some trough switches on my BK with modern microswitches, the old leaf switches were worn out and I wanted much more reliability. It was also partly a BK/Sys7 design thing with the lower voltage the switches ran on, it doesn't like any dirt on the switch contacts.

But other than I've never had a reason to replace a leaf switch in any of my SS games, just need to clean one once in a blue moon, that's all.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

$. They are more than 10x the price.

#40 1 year ago

Does anyone have any pictures of the microswitches with the capacitors attached? Just want to know the correct placement.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

Does anyone have any pictures of the microswitches with the capacitors attached? Just want to know the correct placement.

You don’t need the capacitors on the microswitch. Only the diode.

https://villagebbs.com/forum/index.php?topic=43065

#42 1 year ago

tktlwyr Thank you for the link, but it does not specifically say anything about capacitors. While it does show pictures of the microswitch with diode installed, it does not talk about capacitors. In the previous response to my question, frenchmarky states that capacitors would be needed. I am not trying to instigate a situation; I only want my Xenon to function properly, while using microswitches that are more reliable than leaf switches.
As it stands, I have 4 new microswitches installed. At the top, where the white button rollovers are located, I rebuilt the original leaf switches. These particular switches have a set-up that I haven't been able to find a solution to, in regards to replacing with microswitches. I bring this up, because after I had finished placing the new microswitches and rebuilt the other leaf switches, I received a closed switch error in test mode for the #3 rollover. Since it has been rebuilt with new parts, and gapped correctly, I know that it is something else--something in the switch matrix. This is why I am concerned about the capacitor. I rebuilt the original leaf switches with the correct replacement diodes and capacitors (where called out in the schematics).
Thank you all for the input. Again, I am only trying to get this machine functioning as it should.

#43 1 year ago

I’m no expert on this, but my understanding is that the capacitors were added to switches that were in a position where they could see a very short activation time. Ie a star rollover.

Micro switches have a different position of activation (on) as compared to the position of deactivation(off). They sort of toggle. Play with the switch you will see what I’m trying to say. It’s difficult to activate the microswitch for only a split second.

I don’t think you need caps on the microswitch.

Try it without see what happens without them.

#44 1 year ago

FYI. If you search micro switch on marco and pinballife you will find options that include the plastic mounting bracket and diode. Works good and cheaper. You can reverse the direction on them as well.

63AFC457-2E97-4F9A-AF05-243985F8B364 (resized).jpeg63AFC457-2E97-4F9A-AF05-243985F8B364 (resized).jpeg
#45 1 year ago

I used those type microswitches on my BK's drops (with modifications to the wireforms) and elsewhere, they work perfectly. Easily available and what the industry is using now. I got a few extra but doubt I'll ever need to replace one.

I don't think caps on BK rollover or drop target switches would have any positive effect, as opposed to a Bally/Stern from the same era where they are often used to lengthen the closure on some switches. They read the switches differently. On BK you may have caps on switches that fire off the 'special' solenoids like the pop bumper switch but those work differently than the computer-controlled ones.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Agreed!

#47 1 year ago

I'm building some games and wondering if anyone has done any upgrades to the star roll-over set-up at all with micro switches? Sonic your modern take on the Williams mrs switches are great but I'm talking 50 plus pf switches so the cost is not justifiable especially with our exchange rate.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from KJS:

I'm building some games and wondering if anyone has done any upgrades to the star roll-over set-up at all with micro switches? Sonic your modern take on the Williams mrs switches are great but I'm talking 50 plus pf switches so the cost is not justifiable especially with our exchange rate.

Completely understand

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from KJS:

wondering if anyone has done any upgrades to the star roll-over set-up at all with micro switches?

That might be tough. The leaf switch has very little travel and is lightly sprung. A microswitch that would only move that much and still activate and deactivate reliably and with not too much pressure and hang the ball up on the button? Well who knows maybe there is one. A new leaf switch usually fixes things. The magnetic switches sound good for this if you can't get a regular super-quick closure switch to be reliable in the game.

#50 1 year ago

Yes I might have to make up some reed switches for testing. I do have a few of the original Williams ones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1,059.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-upgrading-early-ss-rollover-switches-to-microswitches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.