Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Seems there is confusion around these terms, especially the newest term NOB which has been used buy new Pinball dealers for quite sometime. NIB, NOB, DEMO all have an expectation for condition. While USED and HUO do not. Feedback appreciated.

NIB (New in Box) - Still in the box with zero plays, will need subtle adjustments and tweaking to dial in the game to play perfectly. Condition: as new, no wear, etc. New factory warranty applies, Buyer is the first owner.

NOB (New out of box) - seems simple as well, this game was opened by a dealer and inspected, adjusted and tweaked (i.e. Dialed in) being sure the game is problem free and ready for the new owner to enjoy. Game has a few plays but HAS NEVER been owned by anyone else. Condition: as new, no wear, etc. New factory warranty applies and buyer is the first owner.

DEMO - This is a game with 50 plays or more (IMO) which was displayed by a dealer in a commercial space such as a show or event. You can add your list of uses here. The point is that it was played enough to show some use. Many of my customers prefer these because all of the bugs are worked out and the discount is substantial per play, yet they are still the first owner of a new game. Condition: may have very slight wear from use. New factory warranty applies and buyer is the first owner.

USED - Buyer purchased from a dealer, opened and played it. Has had one or more owner, warranty not applicable. Condition: No expectation, must be described

HUO (Home Use Only) - This is a used game USED in a home environment ONLY. Nothing more, usually unproven and almost irrelevant. Condition: No expectation, must be described.

I think having a clear expectation of all sellers avoids buyer confusion.

2 weeks later
    #2 5 years ago

Stern is saying their demo pins are display models and have no warranty now. I know a few people that have purchased these pins with the idea that there is a full warranty.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Stern is saying their demo pins are display models and have no warranty now. I know a few people that have purchased these pins with the idea that there is a full warranty.

That's a bold statement. Do you a have any direct evidence of this? I've had a couple warranty type claims and they don't ask many questions, they just help. Sterns service has always been great. Never heard of them labeling a pin based on use and denying warranty coverage.

#4 5 years ago

Bold statement or not, it is the case with at least one guy who bought a demo machine. He has a playfield issue and Stern fired back saying that the machine purchased was a display model, as-is. I am going to follow up with the distro on this.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Do you a have any direct evidence of this?

Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Bold statement or not, it is the case with at least one guy who bought a demo machine.

You can't back up your claim by restating the claim. You must back it up with evidence that it is true. Otherwise it's just a bunch of hot air.

#6 5 years ago

I don't understand why you are being so hostile about this. This info I was given, with an email from Stern, to someone I know. This all happened yesterday. There was confusion as to the status of this particular pin. The distro is going to take care of it, so everything is good.

#7 5 years ago

I would only call it new out of the box if it was still strapped inside or out

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

There is a difference between buying it from Stern as a demo, and buying it from a dealer as a demo. If We open the game and put it in our booth at a show and you buy it, as the first owner you have a warranty.

Stern offers up used demos from shows occasionally, I cannot speak to their warranty as I have not purchased or sold one.

#9 5 years ago

There is no such thing as NOB, the running joke definition translates now as NOoB, and is completely fitting.

Once a game has been "adjusted", it means opened and played, declaring the item as used. The term used by operators is a "burn in" period at the shop. Stern (and other manufscturers) apply the same simple understanding for warranties, unless directed offered as an exception. This is described as a "floor model" or "demo", which is the same exact thing as NOB aka used.

Either a game is new or it is not, don't fall for home market or dishonest distributor tactics. It has the same worth as "under 200 plays".

#10 5 years ago

New out of box indicates never sold and has a few games on it

New in box indicates never sold and has been adjusted , tweaked and has a few games on it performed by some employee

By your definition, both NIB and NOB should be called Used

#11 5 years ago

I’m ok with first owners selling NOB pins — to me it’s an easy way to say essentially what bk said - under 200 plays give or take. It’s still pretty damn new / like new condition. It fits for people who buy new games, get them delivered, and a month later after 50 plays realize they don’t like the game or want the next new shiny thing more than the one they just got.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Either a game is new or it is not, don't fall for home market or dishonest distributor tactics. It has the same worth as "under 200 plays".

This is exactly why I wanted to put this out there. The term NOB is recent, but seems clear. All of these terms can be confusing and often misused. I have yet to see a distributor use the term NOB but instead, private pin owners are using NOB for a USED game which has no warranty at all. Not sure why that would be "new"

I always used "floor model" which is pretty clear what you are getting. Which could be called NOB I suppose. When terms are used properly it's quite the opposite of dishonest. The purpose is to be crystal clear the game is opened and played and the price will be adjusted accordingly.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

USED - Buyer purchased from a dealer, opened and played it. Has had one or more owner, warranty not applicable. Condition: No expectation, must be described

I've bought a lot of used pins, never bought one from a dealer. This is odd.

#14 5 years ago

Seems to me that NOB is a made up term in order to justify a higher asking price.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Seems to me that NOB is a made up term in order to justify a higher asking price.

Exactly. Been to a used car lot lately? If you believe the marketing nothing is used anymore. They are pre-owned.
    If the machine has been played since its been out of the box it's USED. Nob is a made up bs term. You might as well add imamaculate to your list.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

NOB was recently added here on Pinside when you post a pin for sale....seems as if the term is misused. I am just seeing all the HUO games posted ad NOB and thought it was good conversation.

Quoted from newmantjn:

I've bought a lot of used pins, never bought one from a dealer. This is odd.

Buying a used pinball machine from a dealer is odd? Don't most dealers take trade in and sell USED games?

Regardless, that's not what I was referring to. I guess I need to clarify, first buyer gets it/buys it from a dealer, they (the new owner) play it, then they (the new owner of said pinball machine) sells it as used. Meaning you bought it third party (not from a dealer). Hence not new, no warranty, it's just a used game. If it has ever been owned by a third party it is used, even is sold by a dealer...any one can sell used games, even dealers/retail stores.

#17 5 years ago

Condition is king period...Who cares what title or acronym you assign to them...These machines are meant to be played in Coin-Op environments literally tens of thousands of times...Having under 200 plays on them is nothing, and totally worth the $500-800 depreciation that gets added to them.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Condition is king period...Who cares what title or acronym you assign to them...These machines are meant to be played in Coin-Op environments literally tens of thousands of times...Having under 200 plays on them is nothing, and totally worth the $500-800 depreciation that gets added to them.

Well said

#19 5 years ago

I think NOB is what they expect you to bob, if you end up getting a defective game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-to-terms-nib-nob-demo-used-and-huo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.