Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by darquayle
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C616886D-7F84-4EDB-9CFE-738EF0148697 (resized).jpeg
20200506_231503 (resized).jpg
speaker (resized).JPG
5.25 Speaker (resized).JPG
IMG_2949 (resized).jpg
Assorted Speaker Surrounds (resized).JPG
IMG_2938 (resized).JPG
IMG_2940 (resized).JPG
IMG_2942 (resized).JPG
IMG_2941 (resized).JPG

#1 7 months ago

I thought I would take a few minutes to create this post to provide a quick guide information on how to make your Pro and Premium machines sound and look better than an LE.

The easiest way and cheapest way to do this is to purchase two kits at Flipper Fidelity and Speakerlightkit.

Here's what you'll need:

1) http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Type-13.html ($75)
You also need 2 x 545-1046-02 - hard plastic red trim piece that goes around each new speaker which Doug sells as well. (not on his website or you can get them at pinballlife.com ($23)

2) https://flipperfidelity.com/ ----- FF-SPK2-LE for the 8” at $199.95 and FF-SPK2-10-LE for the 10” at $219.95. The flipper Fidelity kit includes 2 x 515-1941-00 - Stern 5 1/4 speaker plate with threaded posts spaced for larger speakers and new wiring so the install is completely plug and play.

As of right now, Mike doesn't have these part# listed on his site but you can contact him directly as he has them in stock.

In order for your Pro/Prem to accommodate 5 1/4" speakers you needed remove the existing, felt screen and 4 inch metal speaker bracket ass seen in the first two pics. The speaker plate on the left is the 4 inch and the one on the right is the 5 1/4inch Stern.

Next Install the new 5 1/4 inch speaker plate, then put the red acrylic metal surround plate, then the Type 13 Deluxe speaker Led, and finally the Flipper Fidelity speaker. I am not going to post pictures of the Sub woofer install as its the same as any other Flipper fidelity install.

The Flipper Fidelity speaker barley fits due to its deeper design than JBL or Kenwood that normally come in the LE's.

The result is a system that sound and looks better than the LE OEM setup.

Check out this quick video clip.

Also, for those looking for more power to drive this new setup:
Mike over at Flipper Fidelity is also working on a AMP that is matched to this setup which will really allow you to crank this system up.
IMG_2941 (resized).JPGIMG_2942 (resized).JPGIMG_2940 (resized).JPGIMG_2938 (resized).JPG

IMG_2949 (resized).jpg
#2 7 months ago

Very cool! Thank you for posting this

1 month later
#3 5 months ago

I wanted to say thanks to the OP for the write up. I ordered the red trim piece and the 5.25 speaker plates from Pinball Life but I decided to go with a Pinball Pro kit. Greg put together a kit with 5.25" speakers for only $17.70 more than his standard SWTR-4 kit with 4" speakers. I have to say that this kit sounds amazing and makes a huge difference, both with the music and voice. Thanks to Greg as well!

5.25 Speaker (resized).JPG
#4 5 months ago
Quoted from EilersPark:

I wanted to say thanks to the OP for the write up. I ordered the red trim piece and the 5.25 speaker plates from Pinball Life but I decided to go with a Pinball Pro kit. Greg put together a kit with 5.25" speakers for only $17.70 more than his standard SWTR-4 kit with 4" speakers. I have to say that this kit sounds amazing and makes a huge difference, both with the music and voice. Thanks to Greg as well![quoted image]

The tweeter of that speaker isn't rubbing against the back of the honeycomb speaker grill with it mounted like that? I figured it would have a tweeter that extended out and would need the additional $30 worth of spacers and gaskets (that normally come mounted on the LE games with the 5.25" speakers) for them to mount properly. Or, as the OP did, mount a Speaker Light Kit to be used as the spacer.

I am working to have the speaker plates needed for this type of 4" to 5.25" speaker upgrade at a substantially lower price in the future. It should work out so a person can do the 4" to 5.25" speaker upgrade INCLUDING a Deluxe 5.25" Speaker Light Kit and the price will be lower than this upgrade currently costs without the speaker lights.

I can also get custom color speaker surrounds for $22.50 a set and plan on having (what I guess would be) popular colors in stock to order. I currently have red, yellow and green in stock if you ask for them, but can get 20+ colors and styles.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

Assorted Speaker Surrounds (resized).JPG
#6 5 months ago

Doug, I was worried about this too. It turns out that the red spacer provides just enough clearance. This is using the 5.25" plate from Pinball Life. The screws mounted on it are just the right length, no washers needed. There is enough space between the front honeycomb and the tweeter to probably slide a note card, but if i push on the honeycomb it can touch the tweeter. This picture shows the installed speaker not touching.

speaker (resized).JPG
#7 5 months ago

Do these kits work better on spike than SAM? I have FF on all my games, mainly because I bought them around the same time, but the sound difference is negligible at best. In fact I think the mids were better on the factory set-up

I want better sound on my maiden, GOT and JP2 but haven't considered anything due to my disappoint from my SAM games.

#8 5 months ago

I just order my kits from Pinwoofer to get better than LE sound!

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from EilersPark:

Doug, I was worried about this too. It turns out that the red spacer provides just enough clearance. This is using the 5.25" plate from Pinball Life. The screws mounted on it are just the right length, no washers needed. There is enough space between the front honeycomb and the tweeter to probably slide a note card, but if i push on the honeycomb it can touch the tweeter. This picture shows the installed speaker not touching.[quoted image]

Cool.

I guess it all really depends on the speaker and how much its tweeters are sticking out from the speakers mounting points. In most cases they are given way more room in the front than they actually need (usually 1/2" or 5/8" of added space). In your case, you have the thickness of the red acrylic, the speaker plate itself, plus there are clear spacers, washers and hinges that add to the buffer area between the speaker plate and the speaker panel.

#10 5 months ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Do these kits work better on spike than SAM? I have FF on all my games, mainly because I bought them around the same time, but the sound difference is negligible at best. In fact I think the mids were better on the factory set-up
I want better sound on my maiden, GOT and JP2 but haven't considered anything due to my disappoint from my SAM games.

Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

There are many different 5.25" speakers you can change to. I don't mean to speaker for the OP, but I think the main gist of this thread was to show how he upgraded from 4" speakers (that were on his DP from the factory) to larger 5.25" speakers and describe what he bought and how it installed.

I have heard from people just upgrading to the larger sized speakers and saying it was an improvement in the sound over the stock 4" speakers. This may depend on what speakers they chose. I have heard others also add a separate powered amp to help the bigger speakers even more. If a person would choose to go from the Stern stock 4" speakers to the 5.25" Kenwood or JBL speakers they have used in some of the LE games...the speakers are nearly the cheapest part of the upgrade (about $30 a pair). Where the larger expense lies in in the speaker plates that can accommodate the bigger 5.25" speakers.

Of course people can also go for higher end aftermarket pinball speakers (either 4" or 5.25") that will cost you more. If they are worth that added cost...I don't know. I upgraded my 4" factory speakers in my Spider-Man to Flipper Fidelity 4" speakers and they were a noticeable improvement in my opinion (but not as noticeable as the FF cabinet speaker upgrade was that I did before the backbox speakers).

Someone doing a comparison between different 4" and 5.25" speakers, with and without an added amp would be interesting. I actually have quite a selection of different speakers myself. I keep them on hand for fitting, mounting and space requirement tests, but I am not the knowledgeable audiophile that is needed for such a sound quality comparison. I generally know what sounds OK, what sound good, what sounds bad and what sounds better, but that is the about the extent of my audio critiquing.

#11 5 months ago

If you plan to push volumes over 25 (master volume setting) than you may want to look into a separate amp. Pinsound makes them but they are very expensive unless you buy them as a part of a complete kit. Flipper fidelity should be coming out with one in the future that should be a lower cost option.

#12 5 months ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

dallas_pin is right and there is simply no comparison to the PinWoofer system. Our powered, amplified kits add amazing presence to your title with deep, rich bass and a crisp backbox. You'll hear things you have never heard before and guys often remark that their game play is better. You'll also feel the bass in your hands and feet.

Do a quick search for PinWoofer and see the feedback - our customer support is second to none. If you're on the edge we offer engineering tech support with our kits and see you through your install end to end.

Our product array has grown to all of the major brands and we offer backbox and cabinet amplifiers, dual amplifier kits so you can continue to use your current speaker upgrades, or the full super kit with high quality Pyle speakers, mounting rings and a safe, fused power solution. Everything is engineered to work with your pin without guesswork and risk to your power system and boards.

This is a great discussion and there is benefit to the larger 5-1/4" backbox speakers. Changing your speakers alone does little to improve your audio. Adding amplification AND better speakers is a game changer and that's what we do!

PinWoofer is the single best thing you can do for your audio and you'll never look back. Go with something that's proven and engineered to work:

https://pinwoofer.com/

Thanks

#13 5 months ago

I’d be happy to review your External amps if you send me a set.

#14 5 months ago

Just finished installing the super kit in Iron Maiden
And for sure it’s a much needed improvement

Install was pretty simple with their instructions

One thing after few games : I get the smell of something melting ?
Can’t see nothing burned or melting

Put it up to 60 by the way
Too much perhaps ?

4 months later
#15 28 days ago

Yup, this is exactly what I was after. Thanks Doug. Very clean and accurate designs as always.

20200506_231503 (resized).jpg

#16 26 days ago

Since this thread got bumped....I figured I would mention here that I now have the 5.25" SPIKE 2 speaker plates on my site. They are $50 a pair OR only $25 a pair if you are also buying a SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit from me at the same time.

I have the Deluxe 5.25" Speaker Light Kits and the 5.25" speaker plates in a combo for $100, but if a person would want to have a Deluxe or Standard SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit with the 5.25" speaker plates plates....you can just add the plates and light kit to your order separately and I will refund the $25 savings back to your PayPal transaction when the order is processed.

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Plates.html

I also have a few different colors of the acrylic speaker surrounds listed on my site now, but if there are other colors that you see pictured, but not listed...feel free to ask and I can get them for you.

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Surrounds.html

#17 26 days ago

Doug, just added your light kit for Iron Maiden! Outstanding!

#18 26 days ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Doug, just added your light kit for Iron Maiden! Outstanding!

Hey, brother! Just did the Elvira!

1 week later
#19 12 days ago

Just did Maiden LE and love it now for Elvira LE and Metallica Monster

#20 11 days ago

Just did this to my Elvira Premium and Jurassic Park Premium. Really a nice and easy MOD. Well worth it for me.

C616886D-7F84-4EDB-9CFE-738EF0148697 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside