Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Octomodz
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220501_220608 (resized).jpg
    20220501_214513 (resized).jpg
    20220501_191007 (resized).jpg
    20220412_153642 (resized).jpg
    21f2413a0a3a93f14cce865e4ae37582dd6569ae~2.jpg
    20211231_140237 (resized).jpg
    20211231_150902 (resized).jpg
    20210715_130453 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hey everyone,

As I really enjoy reading other peoples homebrew pinball stories, I might as well start mine.
    This has been in my head for a long time after building arcades, mini arcades and 2 little virtual tables, a hombrew pin for me is an ultimate diy project.

Coming from a music/recording background I of course want my pin to be based around .... ZOMBIES =) and music. Afterall you need some brainz to be in a band.

So far im waiting for CobraPin to arrive and meanwhile as a proof of concept I cut my plain whiteboard on my Lowrider CNC and added some mechs and lights just to get a hang of MPF lightshow programming and running some game modes virtually.

I quite enjoy laying out the playfield by hand and converting to CAD / Visual Pinball later, so the design is slowly growing on both fronts simultaneously.
    So whatever you see on the picture is still just a test of how far I can strech 3d printing to be usable in a pinball prototype =) (yes, those rails flex, but surprisingly not enought to interfere with any balls below).

I have good friend and brilliant graphic artist on board with me ( https://www.behance.net/woodytroj ) so I hope we can turn this project into something quite special in the end.

Thats all from me for now, will follow up after I get those flippers moving.

Ondra

20210715_130453 (resized).jpg20210715_130453 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

looking good .... please change the GI bulbs to white or it will wind up the the clown puke thread !

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

looking good .... please change the GI bulbs to white or it will wind up the the clown puke thread !

the pic is during attract mode, of course GI is white when in game =)

#4 2 years ago

Hi, this looks nice, following.

hey i also started with building mini arcade machines .

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Hi, this looks nice, following.
    hey i also started with building mini arcade machines .

Hey Stefan, thanks for the follow. I love your work on DBR. If you dont mind, I will ask you some questions when I run into trouble =) Now back to wiring switches...

#6 2 years ago

Thanks, sure i'll help where i can!

3 months later
    #7 2 years ago

How’s this going?

3 weeks later
    #8 2 years ago

Being busy with work, im slowly getting back to some progress. A shitty PSU caused me some problems with cobrapin. Solved by a new Meanwell. Here is my current state:

1 month later
    #10 2 years ago

Bits and pieces of progress, made some 3d printed opto switches for orbit shots so i can spend more sleepless nights figuring out MPF and actually creating some modes.
    Also got a servo diverter and droptarget/captiveball/balllock working, so the table can do its first multiball!!! YAAAAY!!!

20211231_140237 (resized).jpg20211231_140237 (resized).jpg20211231_150902 (resized).jpg20211231_150902 (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #11 2 years ago

Another little update here:

working subway with vuk
    working diverter to ball lock/captive ball drop target
    moving toy head

#13 2 years ago

Could you share the design for the rail guide 3D printed bracket things? (Whatever you call those)

#14 2 years ago

i didn't have the time yet to make a thingiverse account...

mcsquid does have some online though: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4624821

#15 2 years ago

Ack, I need to learn the right terminology... I was referring to these pieces that hold the material that guides the ball (e.g., along an orbit). Ball guides?

Can anyone share a printable design for these brackets circled here?

21f2413a0a3a93f14cce865e4ae37582dd6569ae~2.jpg21f2413a0a3a93f14cce865e4ae37582dd6569ae~2.jpg
    #16 2 years ago

wow you 3d printed the wireform ramps? by the closeup it looks like maybe you printed the wires and the rings separate then merged them. Can you go into some detail how you made those?

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from MOSFET:

Could you share the design for the rail guide 3D printed bracket things? (Whatever you call those)

I have just uploaded to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5349244
    Honestly, I would have designed it differently if I was printing them now =)
    I use 25mm x 2mm x 1000mm plastic strips from local hardware store for the prototype guides.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

wow you 3d printed the wireform ramps? by the closeup it looks like maybe you printed the wires and the rings separate then merged them. Can you go into some detail how you made those?

Yep, it was more of a test if it holds up and it does for a while before they start to break =)
    I have it all modelled in fusion360 and printed and connected by similar brackets stefanmader mentioned in previous post.
    But again, it only works as a prototype and right now Im figuring out how to make "real" wireforms - going with 3mm copper wire for easy shaping

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from krleesh:

I have just uploaded to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5349244
    Honestly, I would have designed it differently if I was printing them now =)
    I use 25mm x 2mm x 1000mm plastic strips from local hardware store for the prototype guides.

Thank you so much!

What would you have designed differently?

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from MOSFET:

Thank you so much!
    What would you have designed differently?

I saw someones design modelled in a way you only use a short screw instead of going all the way through the whole thing. But these work too =)
    I already had some generic 1mm (19ga) steel ballguides laser cut by a friend, so Im slowly ditching the plastic ones anyway.

And I added a lasercut steel loop/ramp which works perfectly, Im quite surprised =)
    Now to get the damned wireforms done right .... sigh...

20220412_153642 (resized).jpg20220412_153642 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #21 1 year ago

Handrouting inserts isnt as bad as I thought i would be... so instead of developing code and redesigning playfield in CAD im making pretty holes =)
    I laser cut the routing guides from 4mm ply, including a little 2mm insert to be able to do the troughhole smaller and create a lip the insert can sit on.
    I 3d print the inserts from clear PETG. Its a better fit then what I got from using the round inserts and a forstner drill....
    No back to figuring out how to make proper wireforms...

20220501_191007 (resized).jpg20220501_191007 (resized).jpg20220501_214513 (resized).jpg20220501_214513 (resized).jpg20220501_220608 (resized).jpg20220501_220608 (resized).jpg
    #22 1 year ago

Nice routing job! How do you hold the template in place when routing each insert?

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Nice routing job! How do you hold the template in place when routing each insert?

Double sided tape, hasnt slipped once on the 6 inserts I have done so far...

#24 1 year ago

Which router and bit are you using? I bought a hand held router and I tried to cut using it and it moved too much. The jig is a good idea, but wondering what bit you used? Maybe I used the wrong one

What you have so far looks great!

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

Which router and bit are you using? I bought a hand held router and I tried to cut using it and it moved too much. The jig is a good idea, but wondering what bit you used? Maybe I used the wrong one
    What you have so far looks great!

I have a makita rt700c that I also use in my DIY CNC machine, its small enough to operate one handed (I also have a bulkier two handed router that i use rarely).
    For the inserts I used the copy ring and an 8mm router bit similar to this ( https://admin.doktorkladivo.cz/upload/product-images/360x360/bosch-drazkovaci-freza-6.jpg)
    The insert guides ar 0,7mm wider to accomodate for the copy ring.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from krleesh:

I have a makita rt700c that I also use in my DIY CNC machine, its small enough to operate one handed (I also have a bulkier two handed router that i use rarely).
    For the inserts I used the copy ring and an 8mm router bit similar to this ( https://admin.doktorkladivo.cz/upload/product-images/360x360/bosch-drazkovaci-freza-6.jpg)
    The insert guides ar 0,7mm wider to accomodate for the copy ring.

Thanks, I will have to try that bit and may need to get a smaller one handed one. The one I have is a two handed router and when I tried to do one hole. It jumped really bad. I was using a different bit though

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guess-you-need-brainz-to-build-another-hombrew-machine?hl=krleesh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.