(Topic ID: 276904)

Guess what? "It's" always means "It is" (except when it doesn't)

By DanQverymuch

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Coindork
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4e6v9g (resized).jpg
    angry-flower-guide-to-its[1] (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fireball2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 3 years ago

Apostrophes are used in 3 cases:
    1. To take the place of a letter in a contraction. is not = isn't, the apostrophe takes the place of the o we are leaving out. Included in this rule are constructions like the '70s. The apostrophe takes the place of the 19 we leave out, and we don't add an apostrophe before the s because this rule overrules rule #3.
    2. To show ownership in NOUNS! NOT pronouns. Possessive pronouns, as DanQ pointed out, are a different class of word. Jimmy's book, for Fuck's sake.
    3. To pluralize numbers and letters and such when they are used as words: I got all A's and B's, a movie filled with 11's. Without the apostrophes, you got all As and BS. LOL You would use this rule if you actually said 1970's, because you didn't already use your apostrophe to take the place of the 19, so it would follow this rule, not #1.

EDIT: 12 years of Catholic school, an English degree, and 30 years of teaching English: I'll go toe to toe with anyone in a grammar throwdown.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

They apostrophize words like "Y'all"

That would be rule #1, except the apostrophe is doing a twofer, covering for the o and the u in "you all."

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Last week it was so hot out I had to peel my d off my b’s just to p
    (While I don’t like the b apostrophe s, how else would I write that?)

Rule #3.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Sometimes. It's a weird case, doesn't always work. "It has two noses" is not the same as "It's two noses." It only works using the contracted "has" as an auxiliary verb followed by another verb, e.g. "It's smelled better."

Money. Like "It's been good to see you."

#28 3 years ago

I guess Uncle Pinball's Podcast could do a grammar episode.
    D'oh! Is that SPAM? Will I get frozed again?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fireball2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guess-what-it-s-always-means-it-is?tu=fireball2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.