image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
plastic_compared_(resized).png
ramp_(resized).png
Ramp_(resized).png
20160127_191953_(resized).jpg
ramp_(resized).jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

OK working on a ramp with a friend and got a good pull. Lets see if anyone can identify the ramp from the picture.

ramp_(resized).jpgramp_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Comet?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from h_2_o:

OK working on a ramp with a friend and got a good pull. Lets see if anyone can identify the ramp from the picture.

ramp_(resized).jpg

Cyclone

#4 8 years ago

Definitely Comet.
Will you make more? I'd definitely be interested. I've been looking for ages for one. Heck, I'd bet most Comet owners are.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Shovel:

Definitely Comet.
Will you make more? I'd definitely be interested. I've been looking for ages for one. Heck, I'd bet most Comet owners are.

Hell yes they are !

#6 8 years ago

first reply got it on the nose yes it is a comet. And yes I will make more I have to do a fitting soon (mostly time is what is against me) after that I am happy to make them. Now one thing that surprised me in doing this is the actual cost, now I know why people charge what they do for those dumb things. When I fit it I will post a picture.

#7 8 years ago

It's a big piece with I expect a fair bit of trimming. Would be great to have the option to buy off eBay for hundreds...

#8 8 years ago

just waou!!

#9 8 years ago

Here it is in the game, I have to find a better way to trim it up because right now it looks like poo I'm also debating if i do them to predrill the holes for people or have them do them themselves because as we all know each machine is unique in its own way.

20160127_191953_(resized).jpg20160127_191953_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

Do both? Offers people some price options.

Sign me up for one.

#11 8 years ago

You should do the corkscrew ramp too.

That is broken on every Comet I've ever worked on.

#12 8 years ago

Sorry I will not be doing the corkscrew ramp currently because last i checked it was still available to be found

As for the ramp I believe i found a good(descent) way to cut it. It still takes quite a bit of work but at least it looks descent, well as good as the original and most important it actually works. Everything lined up when I had it in and i hit the ramp probably 50 to 100 times without issue.

Now for the part some of you are probably wanting to hear, yes I will be making more but like all good things it comes with caveats, hopefully I remember them all here and people can chime in accordingly.
The screw holes. OK there are 3 at the entry of the ramp, 2 at the ball drop, 2 closest to the backglass and then there is a solo one off the the right. That one when I put it on my machine ended up pulling the ramp into place it basically pulled that side of the ramp down about 1/16" total. This is my first attempt ever to vacuum pull anything let alone create a pinball ramp. Now what I do not know is if that is an issue or if they do that on all ramps because each machine is a bit different or what. What i know is the ball never stuck anywhere even when I tried placing it by hand on the ramp it wither rolled back out or towards the drop. But I just want people to know it is there and see if that might be an issue.

next up, i have no stickers and no not plan on replicating them for this project. I think you can find them but if not sorry.

next up the plastic. I went with petg because that is what i noticed newer plastic ramps being made out of. I know the original one was not. I tried to simulate the original as much as possible including thickness just in case and it is nearly identical around the entire ramp(at least my original ramp) Now the thickness of the plastic i got was 1/16" thickness and like i said it was nearly identical to my original. Now what i'm curious about is if I should have went or should go to .080 (the next size up i can get) or will that cause problems with the ramp. but there are a couple of concerns here will it pull the same way or can i get a good pull? the next is not as big of concern for me but possibly others is going from 1/16 to .080 the plastic for my cost is well over double.

Finally the part some have been waiting for, I do not do this for a living, i don't even repair vid's or pinballs I just enjoy them and have a few, so yes I am going to do some and put them for sale. However with that previous statement I am in need of help from you guys here instead of making several to start off with shipping them out and finding out I made a huge mistake somewhere on it, how do i find someone here that not only needs a ramp(at a highly discounted price) but is a veteran with pinballs and can give an honest critique or review to me so that if i need to make changes they can do it in enough detail so that I can get it right so when I finally say "Come and get em" people will not be pissed at me about something I may have missed.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from h_2_o:

Sorry I will not be doing the corkscrew ramp currently because last i checked it was still available to be found

Any links?

I thought that it has been OOS for years...

#14 8 years ago

eww not sure then sorry, even though i did see them available not sure where and to be honest I did not look to see if they were oos mostly because that was not the ramp i was looking for. Let me get one good ramp done first then I'll determine if i can do a corkscrew ramp.

#15 8 years ago

Mine is a little different as far as attachments, though, it's far from perfect. You seem to be missing the metal entry ramp. Here's a picture of the plastic end which would sit under the metal ramp.

Here's another view that shows more attachment points.

Ramp_(resized).pngRamp_(resized).png

ramp_(resized).pngramp_(resized).png

#16 8 years ago

I puled this from a another discussion here of various plastic types.

plastic_compared_(resized).pngplastic_compared_(resized).png

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remaking-playfield-plastics-petg-vs-acrylic-vs-polycarbonatelexan

Seems PETG was a good choice.

In the limited reading I've done 1/16 (0.060") is the way to go. Hopefully others can chime in here.

AM unsure what you mean by the ramp pulls down 1/16, can you explain with images?

#17 8 years ago

Yup I was running it without the metal entry ramp because nothing more than I wanted to see how it was going to work and looked.

as for pulling down. What I meant by that is the one attachment point on the ramp that is by itself between the top and where the ball drops, well when mounting the ramp I had the top screwed down and the ball drop screwed down. there was about 1/16" space between the top of the metal riser and the plastic itself that pulled the ramp towards the playfield when screwed down.

#18 8 years ago

I'll undo and redo mine and let you know what I see, tohugh, I expect that's not an issue. It's a large ramp and is fairly bendy.

#19 8 years ago

So, as I thought, it does flop about a fair bit. dont expect what you see is a problem.

Am very happy to test if you need someone

#20 8 years ago

As a Comet owner I am also most interested in this ramp.

Progress so far is looking great!

And as Vid pointed out, the corkscrew would be a very worthy next project as that one seems to be in different state of brokenness on all machines.

#21 8 years ago

Cool, what about Hurricane?

#22 8 years ago

Interested as well. Please put me on the list.

-scott

#23 8 years ago

Vid -

I believe Starship-Fantasy was making the corkscrew ramp at one time. Not sure about now.

-scott

#24 8 years ago

I will also take a main ramp for comet and would love to see a corkscrew in the future!

-vinnie-

#25 8 years ago

Back in the day there were black, paper thin, reproduction corkscrew ramps.

A few years back there were some thicker orange ones from Jim, but I have not seen them in a long time.

#26 8 years ago

Guess the ramp? I suppose that is better than Guess the Stink.

#27 8 years ago

My ramp has no screw holes left (broken off) and is held together by silicone. At this point I'll pay to be a tester!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from h_2_o:

I am in need of help from you guys here instead of making several to start off with shipping them out and finding out I made a huge mistake somewhere on it, how do i find someone here that not only needs a ramp(at a highly discounted price) but is a veteran with pinballs and can give an honest critique or review to me so that if i need to make changes they can do it in enough detail so that I can get it right so when I finally say "Come and get em" people will not be pissed at me about something I may have missed.

I would suggest changing the tread title to say what ramp your making and your looking for a tester.
When I clicked on it I expected to see a old ramp that you didn't know what game it came from and were looking for help identifying it. Many comet owners who own the game and are probably looking for a ramp and might know alot about them probably wont even click on this thread because of the title.

#29 8 years ago

I updated the topic, sorry for no updates recently been wicked busy with work. Hopefully this week I will pull a few more and go from there.

#30 8 years ago

Awesome. Good luck!

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Back in the day there were black, paper thin, reproduction corkscrew ramps.
A few years back there were some thicker orange ones from Jim, but I have not seen them in a long time.

Vid, I believe some of the original corkscrew ramps also came in orange. I have a populated playfield from a Comet that was parted that had the orange corkscrew ramp installed albeit, broken in several spots. That ramp was paper thin to say the least...

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Vid, I believe some of the original corkscrew ramps also came in orange. I have a populated playfield from a Comet that was parted that had the orange corkscrew ramp installed albeit, broken in several spots. That ramp was paper thin to say the least...

Correct.

Factory corkscrews were orange.

The only replacements available back in the 90s were black.

Some orange ones popped up a few years back out of thicker stock, but are no longer available.

#33 8 years ago

Tis a shame, as we can all tell there is still a demand.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from h_2_o:

I updated the topic, sorry for no updates recently been wicked busy with work. Hopefully this week I will pull a few more and go from there.

Sweet. Am ready to test fit. Also, have found a good pic of the ramp decal and will see what I can do in illustrator with it. I cannot find it anywhere.

#35 8 years ago

Ya, it's rare to find a ramp these days with the decal. I think it gives it that's extra spark.

#36 8 years ago

I would be interested in the corkscrew. Mine is paper thin, and I'm afraid to even hit it with a ball. It has been taped and glued in so many spots, it's scary. I just picked up this pin today and would love to get another ramp for the project.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#37 8 years ago

Here's a shot of the decal on mine if it helps anyone.

#38 8 years ago

Your cork screw looks really bad, although your main ramp looks sweet! Nice to see the decal!

#39 8 years ago

I have a NOS center ramp and a decal. The decal has a hole in it where an operator put a screw thru it to hang it on the wall. I picked them up last year for my restoration project. Had to search long and hard to find them and they weren't cheap.

#40 8 years ago

If you have a scanner, by all means scan that ramp decal. I can give fixing it up a whirl.

#41 8 years ago

Would you print it on some kind of sticker paper?

#42 8 years ago

We have a Comet at the parlor that gets a lot of plays every day. I'd be happy to pay for and test the center ramp for you. Every ramp on it is busted and glued/taped together.

I can print up the ramp decals and might be able to scan/photoshop them soon.

#43 8 years ago

Any news on the ramp? How's trimming going? How's she holding up!

#44 8 years ago

I have a printer/scanner? at home. Explain this scanning procedure. Not very teck knowledgeable. What's the difference between scanning and copying?

#46 8 years ago

Scan it to you computer. Then you can brighten it up or change dimensions/pixelation. Or just scan it to your CPU and send it via e-mail to someone here that has a good editing program.

#47 8 years ago

sorry for the delay in the updates mostly good news. I have been crazy busy with work so that put a bit of a damper on progress, and that is for the most part the bad news. Trimming it out I found that a dremel/rotary tool with metal diamond grinding wheel ~3/4" dia to 1.5" dia works best. In case anyone else needs to trim plastic these are what I found works well https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/power-tool-accessories/rotary-tool-sets-accessories/6-piece-diamond-wheel-kit/p-1444421205164-c-10099.htm?tid=4949525551141943571

now onto the next problem that got me a bit stuck and I'm again going to ask a bit of help from anyone here who can help. It began with me trying to figure out how to cut the hole for the ball drop and wow did I over complicate that one. I tried every Wile E. Coyote idea in the book to make it as complicated as possible thinking it had to be difficult to do. In the end a simple hole saw on a drill press works pretty dang well on plastic. I believe only a little cleanup will be needed. Now is the part where I need some assistance. My drop hole is to far gone for me to get a good measurement on it. I believe it is 28mm diameter, if anyone could throw a set of calipers on theirs and let me know what you are getting it would be appreciated I will have to find and order one up soon. Then hopefully I can get one out to someone for them to check.

thanks and have a good day all.

#48 8 years ago

h_2_o, just measured it on my Comet, hole diameter was ~28.5mm (not precisely round on mine either).

I think 28mm will be big enough.

Also, I have used Forstner bits on a drill press to drill through plastic before and they work really good. (I drilled a bunch of exactly 28mm holes with a Forstner bit for a home made Mame Arcade for the buttons. I think I got my 28mm bit from Amazon for around $10.)

#49 8 years ago

Good to hear the progress. Keep it up!

#50 8 years ago

and again I'm an idiot with something I was thinking metric when I should have been thinking SAE, 28.5 is 1 1/8" (roughly) and I think i have the stuff to do that....woohooo hopefully finished pictures of a complete ramp soon (by soon not today)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guess-the-ramp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.