Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Crispin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20768066_1829943220356470_1865977060985796060_n (resized).jpg
    20728354_1829943513689774_5129272557344868225_n (resized).jpg
    18835640_1746454082038718_818237906972024459_n (resized).jpg
    18921841_1746454118705381_7292150095422439491_n (resized).jpg
    Knipsel (resized).JPG
    what's in the box (resized).jpg
    19732068_10209840873600334_4469995735120616771_n (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Just saw this on facebook, My apologies if it is being discussed elsewhere

19732068_10209840873600334_4469995735120616771_n (resized).jpg19732068_10209840873600334_4469995735120616771_n (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Wha wha whaaaaat? Whos facebook?

#3 6 years ago

In before the Stern shut down!!!

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from kidchrisso:

In before the Stern shut down!!!

SAVE SAVE SAVE

#5 6 years ago

Wow. It can't be Stern though as they are no longer making the heads of cabinets entirely out of wood.

#6 6 years ago

the post read "Escapism pinball is pretty brave" and was posted in a west coast pinball group

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow. It can't be Stern though as they are no longer making the heads of cabinets entirely out of wood.

Noe would they make it "vol 2" I would guess

#9 6 years ago

They don't look deep enough to be Stern cabinets. Looks like a fan project.

#10 6 years ago

what's in the box (resized).jpgwhat's in the box (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Escapism Pinball is the maker according to facebook. That's a company who does restoration work on pinball machines and such. They're also building 'Spirit of 76' and 'Eight Ball' machines! Here's their company link: http://www.escapism.co.za/

Knipsel (resized).JPGKnipsel (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Escapism Pinball is the maker according to facebook.

I wonder if their high will be blown if Stern gets their GOTG out first.

#13 6 years ago

18921841_1746454118705381_7292150095422439491_n (resized).jpg18921841_1746454118705381_7292150095422439491_n (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

18835640_1746454082038718_818237906972024459_n (resized).jpg18835640_1746454082038718_818237906972024459_n (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Is the PF made with Home Depot wood is the question?

1 week later
    #17 6 years ago

If anyone is interested, these pins are promotional items made for Universal Studios in South Africa: http://www.thisweekinpinball.com/guardians-galaxy-mystery-escapism-pinball/

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

If anyone is interested, these pins are promotional items made for Universal Studios in South Africa: http://www.thisweekinpinball.com/guardians-galaxy-mystery-escapism-pinball/

Thank you!

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

TLDR:
    Playfield of EB with "tweaked rules"

Lame
    3 produced though. Maybe they will auction them. 10k by xmas.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

TLDR:
    Playfield of EBD with "tweaked rules"
    Lame

#21 6 years ago

8B not EBD

1 month later
    #22 6 years ago

Yeah. Pretty lame for a guy who pulled it off on his own in three months. Made his own 3/4" plywood cabinets (18mm), legs, coin doors, full size "diamond plate" playfields (Birch Ply), side rails, flipper mechanisms, outhole kicker mechs , outhole guides, aprons, plastics, backglasses, electronics, chime boxes, LED switched illumination lamps, firmware, cabinet decals, top archs, stainless steel ball guides, wire guides, LED numeric 6 digit displays, got his graphics approved by Disney and rolled most of his own coils. Yeah, pretty lame.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Escapism:

Yeah. Pretty lame for a guy who pulled it off on his own in three months. Made his own 3/4" plywood cabinets (18mm), legs, coin doors, full size "diamond plate" playfields (Birch Ply), side rails, flipper mechanisms, outhole kicker mechs , outhole guides, aprons, plastics, backglasses, electronics, chime boxes, LED switched illumination lamps, firmware, cabinet decals, top archs, stainless steel ball guides, wire guides, LED numeric 6 digit displays, got his graphics approved by Disney and rolled most of his own coils. Yeah, pretty lame.

Fan-fucking-tastic work!

I like how you went with birch ply vs the particle board/cardboard ply Stern uses.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Fan-fucking-tasting work!
    I like how you went with birch ply vs the particle board/cardboard ply Stern uses.

Thanks. Your appreciation is appreciated.

I never knew Stern was using particle board. I thought it was Maple ply all the way. I suppose its easier to get flat stock that way.

#25 6 years ago

Would love to see some updates pics of these "lame" pins!

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Escapism:

Sorry guy, just dont care for re-themes with cool themes that dont utilize new technology and toys. Just cuz you slap new art on an old machine, doesnt mean its a winner. All power to you, just isnt my cup of tea.

#28 6 years ago

Sorry guy, just dont care for re-themes with cool themes that dont utilize new technology and toys. Just cuz you slap new art on an old machine, doesnt mean its a winner. All power to you, just isnt my cup of tea.

Little more to it than that.

#29 6 years ago

For anyone interested, I updated the original background story on these pins and included pics of the finished pins from Escapism Pinball's Facebook page: http://thisweekinpinball.com/guardians-galaxy-mystery-escapism-pinball/

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Little more to it than that.

Yup. I get the feeling he still thinks I "slapped some new graphics on an old machine". LOL.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Escapism:

Yup. I get the feeling he still thinks I "slapped some new graphics on an old machine". LOL.

Im going to stop bothering you after this last comment. You can do what you want, Im not in the business of telling any one what they can and cant do.

That being said, thats basically what you did. So youre "tweaking" the rules. OK, great. It still doesnt factor in you re-themed a pin from 1977 to make it about a galactic fighting team who has a super genius racoon and didnt include any new technology in terms of interactive toys, or anything having to do with the movies other than the characters themselves.

No lcd, no moving mechs, nothing futuristic looking at all. Look at the characters on the machine and then look at whats going on, its a giant clash. I know there is the whole "hey were using old music" angle from the movie for it being an older machine. It just doesnt translate.

Again, sorry, just not impressed. Im sure some one will enjoy it.

#32 6 years ago

Im going to stop bothering you after this last comment. You can do what you want, Im not in the business of telling any one what they can and cant do.
    That being said, thats basically what you did. So youre "tweaking" the rules. OK, great. It still doesnt factor in you re-themed a pin from 1977 to make it about a galactic fighting team who has a super genius racoon and didnt include any new technology in terms of interactive toys, or anything having to do with the movies other than the characters themselves.
    No lcd, no moving mechs, nothing futuristic looking at all. Look at the characters on the machine and then look at whats going on, its a giant clash. I know there is the whole "hey were using old music" angle from the movie for it being an older machine. It just doesnt translate.

Post pics of your Guardians of the Galaxy pin that you created from scratch then.

#33 6 years ago

Yeah that's what I thought...

#34 6 years ago

I actually really like this idea where each player is associated with a character, and the character lights up when it's their turn. I don't think I've seen that idea used before.

20728354_1829943513689774_5129272557344868225_n (resized).jpg20728354_1829943513689774_5129272557344868225_n (resized).jpg

20768066_1829943220356470_1865977060985796060_n (resized).jpg20768066_1829943220356470_1865977060985796060_n (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yeah that's what I thought...

If a guy can make The Nightmare Before Christmas pin in his spare time at home, this "pinball company" can make a machine from scratch as well.

I, on the other hand, work 90 hrs a week. If I could make pins, I would try.

#36 6 years ago

If a guy can make The Nightmare Before Christmas pin in his spare time at home, this "pinball company" can make a machine from scratch as well.

He's been working on that for over 2 years and it's still not done. Not knocking him whatsoever but don't even compare the 2. A retheme like this done in 3 months is a heck of an accomplishment. Way to trivialize all the hard work that went into this. There's something to be said for knowing when to not say anything to all.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

He's been working on that for over 2 years and it's still not done. Not knocking him whatsoever but don't even compare the 2. A retheme like this done in 3 months is a heck of an accomplishment. Way to trivialize all the hard work that went into this. There's something to be said for knowing when to not say anything to all.

#38 6 years ago

You shouldn't sleep on the job. I mean, you work 90hrs a week after all. Get back to it!

#39 6 years ago

A few of us do. Thanks. Especially those of us who started playing in the 60's and 70's. These newfangled ramps and toys and shit just confuse us. Devastated by the fact that you're not impressed. Can someone pass me the Prozac.

#40 6 years ago

Just because it doesn't fit your particular tastes doesn't mean it isn't an accomplishment. I think it's a neat project.

#41 6 years ago

I built a game from the ground up. 6 flippers, 3 ramps, two playfields, all original artwork. It was a ton of work.

Retheming an old pinball machine = still a heck of a lot of work. even using existing assets, it's a hell of a lot of work.
    Retheming an old pinball machine + adding new rules/code = even more work and bringing in new electroincs technology.
    Retheming an old pinball machine + adding new rule/code + dealing with a difficult to work with license = holy crap that must have been a hell of a lot of work (just look at Star Wars and all the BS that went with that artwork).

There's nothing wrong with updating old designs with something fresh and current, there's a market out there for many different types of people.

Kudos to Escapism for getting something like this done, with official licensing through Disney nonetheless.

#42 6 years ago

Who brought the troll to the party? This machine looks great! Whether it's a re-theme or a re-make; it's awesome. Well done.

Im going to stop bothering you after this last comment.

Hopefully.

Nope, I was wrong...

You sure that your username shouldn't be shit-on-pinball instead of Chitownpinball? 'Cause you added a lot of positive energy to this thread.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

I built a game from the ground up. 6 flippers, 3 ramps, two playfields, all original artwork. It was a ton of work.
    Retheming an old pinball machine = still a heck of a lot of work. even using existing assets, it's a hell of a lot of work.
    Retheming an old pinball machine + adding new rules/code = even more work and bringing in new electroincs technology.
    Retheming an old pinball machine + adding new rule/code + dealing with a difficult to work with license = holy crap that must have been a hell of a lot of work (just look at Star Wars and all the BS that went with that artwork).
    There's nothing wrong with updating old designs with something fresh and current, there's a market out there for many different types of people.
    Kudos to Escapism for getting something like this done, with official licensing through Disney nonetheless.

Or make a complete new game and use the rules of the old original version = almost the same amount of time building a complete new machine.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Escapism:

Can someone pass me the Prozac.

Well said, love the work and what you do and have already done.

#45 6 years ago

Are you serious with this stuff? Unbelievable. Your continued negative comments on this project are pathetic. Are you over in the MMR and AFMr threads bitching (and bitching and bitching) because they used assets from an old game instead of spending their time in a way you find more suitable?

I'm sorry you have to work so much, but you should probably go take a nap instead of posting in here.

#46 6 years ago

I'll write up a small article on how these came about if anyone's interested. I just want to say that I don't have a license for the theme as I wont be selling these to the public. I was effectively contracted by Disney/Universal to do this for them so there was no red tape. I was limited to use only the graphics they provide to use in packaging, store fronts etc. I could shuffle things around a bit to place them effectively but nothing major. Apart from the graphics these's a lot that goes into putting a machine together and those of you who've done it, even with Marco Specialties on your doorstep, will know how much work it is. Thanks for your support. It means a lot.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Escapism:

I'll write up a small article on how these came about if anyone's interested. I just want to say that I don't have a license for the theme as I wont be selling these to the public. I was effectively contracted by Disney/Universal to do this for them so there was no red tape. I was limited to use only the graphics they provide to use in packaging, store fronts etc. I could shuffle things around a bit to place them effectively but nothing major. Apart from the graphics these's a lot that goes into putting a machine together and those of you who've done it, even with Marco Specialties on your doorstep, will know how much work it is. Thanks for your support. It means a lot.

Personally I'd really like to read the story.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Escapism:

would love to hear the story and you (and team I am guessing) have done a great job and love the backglass concept with a score display for each character.

My only thought on the backglass is I would of had the main character as player 1, then the girl, then the racoon and then the big guy - sort of how they enter the show on movie 1

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

My only thought on the backglass is I would of had the main character as player 1, then the girl, then the racoon and then the big guy - sort of how they enter the show on movie 1

I agree. Lets just say there were many thoughts on who to put first. Rocket is by far the most popular character and so on. I cant tell for sure how I came up with the final sequence. If I remember correctly it had something to do with equalising the "I wanna be first" thing. World peace starts at home...

#50 6 years ago

Fantastic job Escapism! I've always wanted to do a re theme but haven't run across the right pin yet. You are a true inspiration sir!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galxy-cabinets?hl=micky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.