IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0020 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240315_180852874 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315-071752 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #22 Gold Side Rail option picture Posted by Blacksun (6 years ago)

Post #2129 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement fix. Posted by MapleSyrup (5 years ago)

Post #2448 MOD: hd60609 sign mod Posted by bobukcat (5 years ago)

Post #4883 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement tips Posted by mcvetyty (3 years ago)

Post #5401 TECH: PLAYFIELD Groot mouth replacement motor information. Posted by Markharris2000 (2 years ago)

Post #6642 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner add-on mod for GOTG Pro Posted by aaron6920 (1 year ago)

Post #6643 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner Mod Tip for cutting the plastic Posted by Spiderpin (1 year ago)

Post #6773 TECH: PLAYFIELD Orb drop target issue fix - with video Posted by mcvetyty (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trekkie1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#453 6 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Any news when LE’s will ship in the US ?

Mine ships this week.

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Thanks for the song locations, very helpful! I'm still just pulling, editing sound bytes and organizing. I hear another code drop will happen by the 15th, so I will wait until then to start dropping them in.

How are you making out with putting the movie lines over the recorded lines? Is it matching up seamlessly?

#470 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Same here, has anyone heard when Stern might stream a Prem/LE?
trekkie1978 & blacksun do either of you guys plan on doing an LE unboxing and gameplay stream? Would be awesome if you could!

Absolutely...I don't do it myself....I have a hard enough time working my iPhone, let alone filming, editing, adding sound effects, and uploading it to youtube. But my 1 friend does all that. Here's his youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkP5URZoS8NApETWc7uBmA

2 weeks later
#765 6 years ago

#152 here...did the unboxing last night...my friend will have a youtube video of it up sometime today or tomorrow.

As for my review and early thoughts of the game:

- Art

Chris Franchi hit it out of the ballpark with this. The game is gorgeous. Backglass is sweet...seems like John Borg gets a backglass on all of his games. The gold trim works with the game. It doesn't stick out or anything like that, goes with the machine nicely.

- Layout

Fun shooter. Metallica + Iron Man = Guardians. The ramps flow nicely. It doesn't play anything like those 2 games. The Orb opening up was pretty cool. Groot Multiball caught me off guard, I didn't realize the balls would be shot out of the mouth.

- Sound & Music

The sound effects are great on the game. The score for the game gets the adrenaline going. I do like how the 4 songs will play when out of a mode. IMO, it makes it much easier knowing if you're in a mode or not. I can't see anymore songs added to the game, but if they do, I hope they add in "Come and get your love" & "Spirit in the sky"...I just can't see this happening though.

- LCD

LCD is used quite well in this. I know there's more that will be added to it through code updates, but what's currently there looks fantastic.

- Rules

Everyone is saying the rules are KISS/Aerosmith. They feel more like Star Trek to me where there are levels to each mission. I do remember getting into the 2nd tier on some modes, but I don't recall a 3rd level on them. IMO, the rules seem very straight forward, which is not a bad thing. Not every game needs to have complicated rules.

- Custom speech

This is a mixed bag. I'll do my best to be thorough.

Groot - Sound a like was fine here. Nothing too jarring.
Star Lord - IMO, the sound a like wasn't too far off. Perfectly acceptable.
Gamora - I thought she sounded fine too.
Rocket - This voice stuck out like a sore thumb. Needs changing.
Drax - Probably the worst of them all. Badly needs changing.
Ronan - Not terrible, but not really good. I would prefer it to be changed, but I can live with it.
Yondu - I might be the only one who doesn't have a problem with the sound a like.
Broker - Sounded fine to me. Can't say I really remember how the actor sounds in the movie.

- Mods

Stern put a piece of metal underneath the plastic that sits above the drop target. Good move on Stern due to all the early reports of that plastic breaking.

I also put a 10' USB extension cable into the game. For all future code updates, all I need to do is open the coin door to access the USB port. This is something Stern should put into every game...if not every game, at least the LE models. Updating the game was a breeze last night doing it this way. I will be adding this to every game I purchase going forward.

USB extension: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFQ1HN2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

- Conclusion

Overall I am happy with my purchase. Did I overspend by purchasing an LE instead of a premium? Absolutely. We only live once...so why not.

With a few tweaks, this can really be a top game.

The voice work isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be, but it isn't as good as Stern hoped it to be. At the very least, if Rocket & Drax voice work can get updated to the actual actors, it will really elevate this game. If Stern can somehow come through and get all the voices...then that will really put this game over the top into a must own for every collection.

#777 6 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

for LE owners do all 3 magnets work? Also when groot multi-ball starts the magnets should be on catching and throwing the balls. All the videos I have seen just have the balls dribble down to the flippers out of groots mouth with no active magnets flinging the ball around.

Looks like only 1 magnet is coded. The balls shoot at you, they don’t dribble out.

#787 6 years ago

Update to my review.

Last night, I got to put a few hours on the game.

This game is like Iron Man. It will make you a better player. Once all the magnets are coded, it’ll be even more like Iron Man.

This game and Iron Man can both be in a collection. I wouldn’t have them together in a small collection.

The more I hear the voices, the less that the ones that don’t sound right bother me.

I highly recommend this game...at the end of the day, it’s a ton of fun to play.

#794 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Can't speak highly enough about ulekstore plastic protectors. They look great!

Get the plastic protector for the Orb shot. Or call Stern and get the metal protector for it.

#796 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Stern has one? Pic?

Go to 6:25 in the video.

#801 6 years ago

Game is 100% being unfairly bashed.

I’m finding a lot of posters like to say the same thing over and over and over in their bashing on a game they haven’t played, let alone even see in person.

#803 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

That’s the truth. Or they have taken someone else’s word for it. I called a guy out for repeatedly saying the shots were tight. He came back with quotes from a β€œSDTM” video or something saying they thought the shots were hard. Lol what a joke. I make the shots and I am awful at pinball. The difference? I have more than 5 games in on the machine. That’s what we are dealing with.

It’s to the point where there should be 2 threads for every machine: owners thread and the bashing thread.

#820 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Agree, The first rating was 39 days ago.... LOL Sheesh give them a chance to release some code updates.
We all know the track record of these machines not just GOTG so expecting something near flawless day one is unrealistic. No offense to anyone but if you are a buyer with those expectations maybe you shouldn't be an early adopter and wait for the machines to ship with code 1.0. The premiums haven't even started shipping yet!!!

Or just stick with VE models.

1 week later
#904 6 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Also, Was there a modification to the plastic above the drop target? I thought i read somewhere about a metal bracket? I don't see one on mine, just a regular plastic above the target.
Thanks

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2018/01/01/news-stern-service-bulletin-191-metal-bracket-protector-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

#919 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

I feel like there was a discussion about this earlier in the thread. I think someone is already working on it. I could be wrong though.

Won’t they be available for sale? It’s not an LE exclusive item.

#981 6 years ago

Anyone have trouble with the Rocket shot shooting the ball down the middle?

My game does it around 25% of the time. I’m thinking that maybe I need to adjust the ball guide on the left side.

Any thoughts?

#1037 6 years ago

I'm hoping future updates tone down Groot Multiball scoring.

We should be trying to get to the mini wizard and wizard modes...not just shooting for groot.

#1053 6 years ago

I really wish they put the shooter trough strength adjuster in the software.

#1058 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

We have set the groot multiball to hard and that seemed to help. Good luck getting two of those in one game now. Feather tight tilt too.

What changes does it make in the hard setting?

1 week later
#1121 6 years ago
Quoted from Hawks:

Really enjoying my GOTG LE, though what does the yondu lane shot actually do (the one that looks just like Metallica’s fuel lane)
I hit that shot and get nothing
Also how do you add extra time to your current mode? Is that feature not coded in yet?

As of now, it's a shot that is needed to complete a mode if it's lit.

I don't think it will do anything differently in future updates.

1 month later
#1475 6 years ago

Here comes whysnow to ruin this thread.

Thanks a lot.

Please stay as far away from Pinfest as possible. I don’t want that ruined too.

#1508 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

That is so good to hear! Stern are fantastic with their warranty.
We have a full set of Cliffys on nearly all our machines. We have used him for plenty of years now, problem is everyone has found out about him and you have to wait 12 weeks to get his stuff. I am not sure if he has come up with a GOTG set yet. We modified a SW shooter lane set and put that on our GOTGLE until he can make a set for our GOTGLE.

He has a guardians set.

F825E8B6-C87D-4772-A9BB-980DAC233B3C (resized).jpegF825E8B6-C87D-4772-A9BB-980DAC233B3C (resized).jpeg

159D1CFD-B450-4455-8968-488BFF0B95FF (resized).jpeg159D1CFD-B450-4455-8968-488BFF0B95FF (resized).jpeg

#1521 6 years ago

Looks like it will play like a whole new game.

#1567 6 years ago

I put a few hours on the game last night with the new code.

All I can say is, WOW, this game is f-ing awesome!!!!!! It plays like a brand new game. The modes, for the most part, feel completely different from one another. Cherry bomb multiball is amazing...love needing to hit the groot mouth for the jackpot while it’s moving.

Still a few bugs still in the code. Nothing that a future update won’t fix, like the timers running when they should be paused. Still only at .90. I’m not the biggest Lonnie fan, but I can see this game ending up as his best coded game ever...and from what I can see, it already has a lot going for it.

I can finally say with 100% certainty that I’m very happy purchasing the LE.

#1587 6 years ago

You should see how the Groot hands attach to the playfield in this video:

#1642 6 years ago
Quoted from JMcDonald:

I have not had it happen to me yet either (on an LE.) Fingers crossed that doesn't happen. However, one problem I have with the Rocket kickback is that on average the ball launches and hits the very tip of my right flipper. A small percentage of the time (maybe 10%?) the ball goes SDTM which drives me nuts. I have the game perfectly level so I'm not sure how to make the adjustment so that the ball hits the middle of the right flipper more? Anyone see something similar on their game?

I adjust mine over the weekend. Slightly push the ball guide on the left, more to the right. You'll need to take the nuts off the plastic. Plastic bends enough, to not fully remove it. Loosen the ball guide, put pressure on it to make it move more to the right, while keeping pressure on it, tighten the screws back into place.

After i did this, it consistently hits the right flipper. And not at the tip of it either.

#1658 6 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Does moving the ball guide to the right change the entry angle of the shot? It's pretty tight already.

Nope. The adjustment is so minor.

#1673 6 years ago

I don’t remember those toy thingys in the movie. Can anyone fill me in?

DE46C1F7-0E04-43CA-AC0C-87C8AD1BB7AF (resized).jpegDE46C1F7-0E04-43CA-AC0C-87C8AD1BB7AF (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1751 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a GotG. What are the things I need to know/do on day 1 if I go through with it? Going to put up stargate for sale this weekend.

Get the cliffy shooter lane protectors on from day 1.

#1763 6 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

thinking about trading or selling my walking dead pro to get guardians, batman 66 or houdini. anyone has a few of those and have any thoughts on which is best? it's odd, i really don't like the gotg movies, but the game is pretty cool.

I have guardians and Batman.

Go with Batman. Lyman is making that game special. That’s not any knock on guardians. I love guardians too. It’s a blast to play.

#1770 5 years ago

Well done Lonnie, well done.

I say this as someone who is not a Lonnie supporter.

IMO, this will be his best coded game ever. I must say, the code is really bringing the playfield to life. I have a blast playing it.

I'm very happy with my LE purchase.

#1845 5 years ago
Quoted from cartman5579:

Hello all, new here! Been following this thread for a while now and tried really hard not to buy, but with everyone raving about the new code lately I bit the bullet and grabbed an LE. Since it will be a couple weeks till it’s delivered, and that it’s my first and will be my only pin, I would like to grab all the mods for it that are needed now. I understand that the ULEK protectors won’t work on the LE? So now I’m planning on Ronan’s Hammer, Do not use Gantry sign, but other then that I know nothing about protecting the playfield or anything else. If anyone has some advice, I’d appreciate it so I can get some stuff on order. I’d like to get the topper now too since they made use of it finally. I’d like to get the Cleland sound mod, but I don’t completely understand if I can add it on top of the .95 code or not. Anyways, glad to be here and I’ll try to keep updating here as I get things in place. Very excited to get my own pin finally!

Get the cliffy protector for the shooter lane.

#1871 5 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Are there any great detailed vids of the Premium/LE in action? (Similar to the Jack Danger pro vids, or how PAPA vids are...with full steady PF shot, and camera on the display).
I have a lot of questions about the Premium/LE, and how it performs. Would like to see the impact of the extra magnet, and how much of a difference the color changing PF LEDs make.
Thanks for any help, and sorry if this has been covered already...I got about 15-20 pages into the thread and gave up.

The 3 magnets work really well...sorry for having no video of it. After owning the LE since day 1, I can't imagine downgrading to the pro with 1 magnet.

Early code on this video, but you can see the color changers in action. The light show definitely looks better with the newer code:

#1888 5 years ago
Quoted from murfe88:

Hello I picked up a GOTG yesterday and I am having an issue with the orb drop target. When the ball is locked behind the target the target wont drop when it is supposed to. I can see the coil is firing but it doesn't seem to have enough power to pull the target back down. I went though the menu and I don't see an option to increase the power for the little coil that is supposed to pull the target down. The metal piece under the playfield that the coil is supposed to engaged to pull the target done seems a little to far away from the coil so it wont grab it.
Any suggestions ?

I don’t have a picture. But you want to tighten the shorter spring on the drop target. Same thing happened to mine.

1 week later
#1984 5 years ago
Quoted from Tungsten78:

Anybody know why there’s a clear post on top of the rocket bumper?

Might be a spot where balls got stuck when they tested the machine.

#1987 5 years ago
Quoted from cartman5579:

It’s really slowed down in this thread. My LE will finally be here on Tuesday. Vacation day from work is necessary Ended up grabbing the topper and baby Groot shooter knob to boot.

This game is like Game of Thrones...just flying under the radar...yet, the owners of this game seem to be loving it.

I'm really happy that I bought an LE.

#1989 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

GOTG has full RGB lighting?? I thought the GI lighting on GOTG Prem/LE was just Red, white, Blue?

Like GOT, there is a lot of potential buyers sat watching/waiting on the code, I am one of those people! I really want to get a GOTG into my home but until the code is done that wont be happening, Stern certainly did the right thing by taking Lonnie off the code, GOTG is a completely different game after the 180 happened a couple of updates back, the Pro is a blast now on the most recent code.
Can anyone with a Prem or LE confirm the above quote? is the Red, White, Blue lighting been coded into the Prem and LEs yet? and how do the 3 magnets worked compared to the 1 magnet of the Pro? There is literally no Prem/LE footage out there on latest code.

All the inserts (except for Star Lord's eyes) are color changers. I don't remember if the GI lighting has been coded yet for different modes. Next time I play it, I will get back to you on it.

I can't say how the 1 magnet works...but the 3 magnets works great on the LE.

Who exactly is coding the game now? Whoever they are, bravo is all I have to say.

#2003 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Thanks Trekkie, look forward to hearing back from you regarding this, I’m getting a sore butt sitting on this fence just need Stern to give me a little nudge with more code progress.

You must have seen some of the Pro streams, if not can you describe what the 3 magnets do/what effect they have on the ball/s?
I’ve watched a lot of Pro streams and the single magnet seems to simply catch the ball as it comes out of the orb and then just releases it, haven’t seen the single magnet doing much else.

Code is at a great spot where it currently sits. Remember, game hasn’t been out a year yet.

Sometimes the magnets will grab and hold onto the balls, similar to ghostbusters magnaslings. Usually, in multiball, it will change the trajectory of the balls. It’s a really cool effect...makes the game more challenging.

All I can say, is anyone who has played the game, has really loved it. It has that one more game aspect to it, that iron man has.

#2030 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

GOTG is ahead of where MET was a year in. I love MET, and I agree that it’s an all-time great, but it certainly wasn’t born that way. I’ll check the version history, but I could swear that after a year there was no CIU. It was worth the wait, of course.
EDIT: MET was released April 2013, and the 4 Crank It Up modes were added March 2014, 10-11 months later. We’re just 7 months in on GOTG. It’s still no MET, but it’s getting there.

I think it's safe to say that the layout + current code make this one hell of a pin to play.

I know people complain about the voice actors, but for the most part, they aren't that bad. The soundtrack for this game is awesome.

#2032 5 years ago
Quoted from cartman5579:

Got my LE set up today and I love it. Couple things though, I’m also having the orb drop target problem where it doesn’t drop even after a few ball clears... frustrating to say the least. Also, is it normal for the ball to come out of the right orbit and always activate the right slingshot before it hits the flippers? I’m getting a lot of cheap drains where it drops out of the orbit, and the sling pushes it straight down the middle. So if the orb drop target would work most the time and the orbit would drop it onto the right flipper instead of the sling, I’d be a happy camper.
Overall, loving it so far other then those issues. The ramps and scoop are tough to hit though. Not an easy shooter at all.

Tighten up the spring that is closest to the playfield. It's a small spring. I think Stern put the wrong sized one on.

*it's on the underside of the playfield.

3 months later
#2808 5 years ago

I fixed my drop target not dropping with the ball behind it, by tightening up the small spring. I put an arrow pointing at it.

I honestly think someone messed up on a part number, because mine was so incredibly loose.

After tightening it up, it has worked every time. I'm going on 7+ months of it working perfectly.

9a546e2ba96ddbe334d1f34fe03cd89600c54311 (resized).jpg9a546e2ba96ddbe334d1f34fe03cd89600c54311 (resized).jpg
#2811 5 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

I'm guessing by tightening it up you just cut it shorter?
Seems there are a couple of different problems with everyone's drop target on GOTG.

That’s all I did.

It’s nice and tight now.

2 years later
#5178 3 years ago

Are there any toppers still available?

I was holding off for the longest time.

3 months later
#5458 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Anyone have any experience removing a backbox from the sterns? I " might" have to do this when my GOTG gets here to be able to get it down my stairs.

Very simple. There's hardly any cabling in the head.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 19.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trekkie1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread?tu=trekkie1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.