IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0020 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240315_180852874 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315-071752 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #22 Gold Side Rail option picture Posted by Blacksun (6 years ago)

Post #2129 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement fix. Posted by MapleSyrup (5 years ago)

Post #2448 MOD: hd60609 sign mod Posted by bobukcat (5 years ago)

Post #4883 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement tips Posted by mcvetyty (3 years ago)

Post #5401 TECH: PLAYFIELD Groot mouth replacement motor information. Posted by Markharris2000 (2 years ago)

Post #6642 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner add-on mod for GOTG Pro Posted by aaron6920 (1 year ago)

Post #6643 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner Mod Tip for cutting the plastic Posted by Spiderpin (1 year ago)

Post #6773 TECH: PLAYFIELD Orb drop target issue fix - with video Posted by mcvetyty (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcvetyty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4490 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

About to be back in the club again HUO Pro arriving Saturday, yay I get my baby back!

Haha, dare I ask what happened to your first one?!

2 weeks later
#4497 3 years ago

It sounds like GotG is going back in production at Stern this week.. Does the group think there might be another software update released in the future? I think the ruleset would work really well with a cooperative mode similar to TMNT. Thoughts?

#4501 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

As far as co op...dont know how you would do that on GOTG....you don't choose a character or anything

Why couldn't mode progression just be cumulative for all players?

Quoted from evileye:

Wait, where did you hear that? When I was searching for the topper a few weeks ago all the vendors, and my distributor, said this is the next game coming off the line.

"coming off the line" as in going back into production? Or ceasing production? Regardless, my distributor (and one other I called) are taking orders now and said they received confirmation that Stern is going to start building them again (they took a break to focus on TMNT) this week and should be shipping end of this month.

#4504 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

Coming off as in ceasing production. Interesting that it’s going back in production when it hasn’t really been retired for that long, if even at all? Did you hear if they are they making premiums again too? They haven’t offered premiums in a long, long time.

Maybe this is the last run then. I didn't ask about premiums, but the pre-order on their site only lists pros, so I would suspect not: https://www.gameroomguys.com/games/pinball

2 weeks later
#4535 3 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Also this one doesn't have speech when you push the flipper button when not playing. I looked in the menu but didn't see where to turn it on.

Yes, this is not a feature of GotG. It's silent unless playing.

Out of curiosity, is your magnet working? Does it grab and spin the ball around when it comes out of the orb lane?

#4537 3 years ago

The magnet does work. It grabs the ball spins it a bit and releases it.
It there a current link for the Cleland mod?

Thanks. No, Stern is cracking down on the links to alternate versions being public. You need to just PM him and he'll send you a link.

#4539 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Is that really what caused him to get into DropBox jail?? I thought it was just excessive bandwidth use.

I can't speak to whether its related to why those links stopped working or not, but the creator of Pinball Browser (the tool that Cleland used to make these updates) has talked a lot about locking down the public sharing in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/78#post-5740605

1 week later
#4554 3 years ago

Ok so I thought I had it figured, but just now when I hit the Orb drop target I had the loss of power to the flippers again. It was only for a second. Its like the machine thinks the ball has drained, and of with no flipper power the ball did drain. I am at a loss now for why the game would loose flipper power like that.

Is it possible its over-heating? Can you hear the fan running?

#4566 3 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

No, but if you have Hadron Enforcers you can complete the mode without hitting Rocket. The key is to NOT hit the Groot shot.
1. Collect a few shots from the lanes.
2. Use HE to collect shots until only one is needed. This will leave Rocket AND GROOT lit for the last shot to complete the mode.
3. Collect the Groot shot.

Aha! I’ve had this happen but wasn’t sure why or how. Is it a bug? I was also under the impression that you had to hit rocket as the final shot with no HE assistance. Or at least that was the intention of the programming.

#4577 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

Timer pause in pops is really crucial to the whole point of timed modes. Why it wasn't included in the first place is a mystery. I can only guess that he felt like certain modes that include pop bumper shots to complete would be too easy.

My wish list would be:

1) Fix a few of the bugs: I've noticed some sound bugs (the extra ball sound rarely plays for example), the rocket/Kyln loophole/bug outlined above, there's also a bug where if you press the HE button very lightly to plunge the ball at the start of Quills Quest you only get one ball instead of two.
2) Timer pauses: As others have said, it feels like there are a lot of animations or times when you have no control of the ball and the mode timers keep ticking down. Would be great to have the timer pause or be able to skip the animation (you can for some currently by pressing both flipper buttons, but not all).
3) Magnet adjustments: Despite all of the suggestions (pitch, washers being added, bouncier rubbers) there are definitely still issues with the magnet catching the ball coming out of the orb. Adding some adjustments where we can tweak things like magnet timing, strength, etc. would be really helpful.
4) Co-op Mode: I love the co-op mode in TMNT. Seems like it should be doable on GotG where all players cooperatively work to complete all of the modes.

Added over 4 years ago:

5) Some sort of indicator on the display of how many HE's you have remaining.

#4580 3 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

whenever I time out in Sanctuary mode and have partially completed the shots, when I go back into the scoop to bring up the mode select the Sanctuary shots are always erased = it will show the mode light flashing on the playfield as partially completed but any shots I had previously collected in Sanctuary are gone and I have to start over.

Unfortunately can't offer much help on your switch issue, but the above is actually part of the Sanctuary mode rules.. If you don't finish it, you have to start all over to get the completion (although halfway status for II does save). Makes it a stressful challenge for sure!

Rules for sanctuary:

Sanctuary (yellow)
Duration: 68 seconds
Shots: 6

Complete all 5 of the Hadron Enforcer targets and the left orbit before time runs out to complete the mode (and score 3 free Hadron Enforcer activations). Note that the Hadron Enforcer itself isn’t available to use in this mode. The upper gates do not divert to the pops, so be ready for a full orbit shot.

Upgrading during this mode will allow flashing targets to be spotted with a shot to the left orbit.

Completing Sanctuary begins Super Targets for 20 shots. A roving light moves around all 5 of the Hadron Enforcer targets. Shoot the flashing target to collect a Super Target award. A hit to a solidly lit target is worth 200k base, while a hit to a flashing target is worth 5x that value.

If the mode times out, you lose progress and have to make all 5 shots again. If you drain before completing the mode, progress is kept. You still get “halfway” credit (for Immolation Initiative) if you made 3 or 4 of the 5 targets.

#4596 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Okay I have a NIB pro coming next week for our campground gameroom...are these coming solid out of the box now? Anything I need to do/know?

Should be good. Test out the orb drop target a bit. That might need some adjustment.

#4600 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Just heard in another thread that we can change the choose mode at beginning of play setting? How do the modes work if that is disabled? Just curious if i might like that way better than choosing at start.

Same way you do it mid game - by shooting the scoop.

#4602 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Gotcha. So having it set to select a mode at start gives the player a free scoop shot in essence. I think I'll leave it set to factory. I have enough trouble hitting the scoop as is

Yep! That’s right - mostly there for tournament play.

#4618 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Question on my new GOTG I unboxed this week every time the ball rolls down the right loop it bounces off the top of the right slingshot directly to my left flipper. Is that common or something I need to adjust that’s causing that?

No, it's not supposed to. The ball falling from the top of either orbit should hit the flippers directly and not a slingshot. Hitting the slingshot is a sign that you're not level left to right, or your pitch is too low so the ball is falling too slowly. You need to check the level and make sure the pitch is at least 6.5 degrees front to back (our preference is 6.8) and completely level left to right.

#4625 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Did anyone try this for their drop target and did it work? Seems simple to me

I had drop target issues (it stopped dropping consistently a few days after getting it NIB), but the solution didn't require anything this elaborate. I reached out to Stern who basically suggested a similar fix to others in this thread (I'll try to find the post number) to basically just bend the entire mechanism a bit by hand so that the magnet was closer to the arm. Took about 10 seconds and worked like a charm.

Edit: Here's the post that explains what I did. No need to even take the mechanism off of the playfield: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/53#post-4508167

#4628 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Thanks man this is all it needed case closed just bent the whole mechanism to close the gap and now works
Great !

No problem!

1 week later
#4643 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

correct - can't start orb MB. I've actually completed all of the modes too, so no orb prevents me from getting to Immolation. If I disable the drop target, shouldn't it do virtual locks and allow Orb MB? I tried that too, but still no Orb progress. I tried a brand new SD card, and also a full flash of the original, using a USB stick. No change in behavior. I wish I had a prior code to try. I will look for a fast boot option.
NIB game arrived on 8/8 with these issues
switches
drop target opto and orb standup - works fine in diag tests
coils
drop target reset and release both work *almost perfect in test mode. Up/down the cycle coil test never fails. The game specific drop target test is inconsistent, and has sometimes failed to work entirely, even right after a successful cycle coil test.
drop target in game play? nope - doesn't go up, and appears to go down on purpose, as if programmed that way.
I have no idea what could cause these types of symptoms. I'd love to try other code versions, if anyone knows where I can find it.

I feel like we should be able to figure this out... Can you tell me what happens in this circumstance:

Manually push drop target down. Start game. Does it go up (it should)? If not, does it even TRY?

And then, when you raise the playfield, are you seeing any issues with wiring to the DT coil or switch? Maybe you have a loose solder connection that only connects sometimes?

Finally, it sounds like it's almost the DT switch that's confused - thinking its up and when its down or vice versa.. Is it possible these switches are wired in reverse?

#4645 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

thanks for your help trying to troubleshoot.
I believe the drop should go up when the game is started (as long as it is not disabled in settings). It does try (it clicks), but then gives up and stays down. This clicking is interesting, because it suggests the drop is trying to go up but can't. I've tested with the playfield up, but haven't started a game this way. Maybe I'll do that and see what it does.
I've inspected the assembly from underneath, and it all looks good. The reset (up) is pretty smooth and clicks nicely when it gets the the ledge. There is a little play in the release bracket and spring, but that too seems to function just as it should. I can simulate those coil functions and reset UP and release DOWN. The drop and standup switches also seem perfect. The opto detects when the target is down, and the orb standup switch consistently registers when it's hit, during tests and also gameplay.
Video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bb_7GRQsFxECowf4-miBx3taLMZWOzSe/view?usp=sharing
seems like it could still be a physical issue, that I haven't found yet.
When I also consider the other issue - disabling the drop target should allow virtual locks, but it doesn't - it makes me wonder about a logic, which might explain both issues? That's why I really wish I could try an older code rev.
no virtual locks video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Csfz7APX4ZVVToDH1c8338NUSYCUO8oU/view?usp=sharing
thanks again for any troubleshooting suggestions.

Just did some searching in this thread, and it sounds like this user might have had a similar issue based on his last sentence in his thread?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/88#post-5575744
"Now a 2nd issue the target does not raise. In the switch test the target lowers fine but if in the raise test sometimes the solenoid double fires and then the target will not raise."

What do you think? Maybe DM him to see how/if he resolved it? I tried to follow along in future responses but am not sure..

#4648 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

update: I should have looked closer during my coil tests. The drop target reset and trip coils were both working during tests, but they are wired backwards. The trip fires when the reset should fire, and vice-versa.
Coil test 10 should drop the target (mine was raising it)
Coil test 11 should raise (mine was dropping it)
The clicking movement of the target when it is down is not the reset coil trying to raise it up. It is the trip coil firing, touching the drop target plastic and wiggling it just a little.
I don't know if this is the root cause of all of the issues. I'll see how it looks after this is corrected.

Awesome!! Sounds like you've pinpointed the issue then.. Excited to hear the final update that things are working normally!

1 week later
#4664 3 years ago
Quoted from marsup:

Can we hope to have another update with the stern DJ mixer feature ?
What do you think ? Is it believable ?

I'm hoping for the same, but its looking like support for this title is dead. A few of us had a thread a page or two back on a ton of updates and bug fixes we'd like to see, but I think Stern developers are tied up on newer titles at this point unfortunately.

#4670 3 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Hit both flippers to skip sequences and kick the ball out of the scoop, etc.

While this is solid advice if you aren't already doing it, this definitely doesn't work in every animation sequence or as well as it does in other Stern titles so I hope they'd revisit this in future updates.

#4677 3 years ago
Quoted from marsup:

I tried to message Stern about it (there was a story with somme Gotg pinball machine pic...)
I take that for an almost yes
[quoted image]

Hahaha, excellent attempt to get some information out, and I'll take that as an almost yes as well.. maybe.

1 week later
#4722 3 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

Hello all, I'm new to the club after picking up a Premium over the weekend!
I'm ordering a Cliffy lane protector, and there are 2 different versions. Can anyone post a picture of your cliffy-protected lane and let me know which version you got, so I can figure out which version I need? These are my first lane protectors, so I'm not really confident on which version I will need by looking at the pictures on Cliffy's site.
Thanks!

If you take a look at the build date on the back of your machine and just email Cliff, he should be able to get you the right one and is typically very quick to reply: [email protected]

#4725 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinforlife:

What exactly does the cleland sound mod contain? More music etc ? I hadn’t heard of this since I’m new to these newer pins these days lol.

The stock pinball machine that Stern developed only has about two licensed songs in it and all of the voice callouts are fake (recorded by voice actors). The "cleland mod" doesn't change any of the rules or game functionality, but injects several more songs and replaces all of the fake voice callouts with the actual ones for the movie.

Basically a must have. Head on over to this thread to learn more and PM him on Pinside for a link and download instructions. It's very simple.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod

#4735 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I have the opportunity to buy a NIB GOTG LE. So was in the box since end 2017? Dont know when it was produced but think all LE were produced in one batch?
The playfield quality lottery with GotG LE of that time, are issues to be expected like pooling or chipping or was the early GotG free of this? So anything I should have a look at? Also on the fence of a protector. Have several pins with them but read that for GotG people are remving it since it influences pay to much. Does GotG have a lot of airballs-> dimpling. I dont mind (some) dimpling as long as it doesnt look like the moon ....
Thanks for any advise

If its an LE, then yes, it was made in 2017. If it's still in its box, then I would HIGHLY doubt the seller is going to let you open it to look at the playfield and other things before buying it. The value of a NIB goes down once that box is opened.

If they do let you, or if it's already been opened, then just look around the posts for pooling on the playfield. I can't recall what other issues may have existed on the first production run (mine was a 2019 build). Mine does get a fair amount of airballs and has some pretty major dimpling after 2K plays or so.

1 month later
#4801 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

One thing I just noticed on my new machine is that it does not have service rails like my other Sterns. From the pictures in this thread it looked like it used to have rails. These little studs suck.
[quoted image]

This is true, and normal for this game. Hoping it's not the normal for all machines moving forward because the rails are definitely superior. These studs suck ass.

3 weeks later
#4883 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Took this great advice (actually added 3 washers) and magnet worked fully and completely for about a week. Now back to the inconsistencies. ANyone else have this occur and any other solutions?

Ohhh if I could only describe the amount of frustration I've had on this issue. I've tried it all and even things that you won't read on here (like drilling entirely new holes to mount the core at various different angles in an effort to get this to work 100% of the time). After almost 40 hours of dicking around with it, I've gotten it to a place where it will grab it every time, but there's unfortunately not a single fix. It's a culmination of all of these items:

1) Balls: Get yourself some carbon-core balls. They react much more strongly to magnets. I got mine from ball baron.
2) The rubber post next to the chute: This plays a huge part. Order a cliffy blue one from Cliff himself (Don't get from pinball life as they are falsely labeled as Cliffy's but don't bounce as much).
3) Leveling/Pitch: This also plays a big part I've found best success at 6.8 degrees pitch and obviously it needs to be perfectly level left to right. That being said, don't rely on that stupid app people always tout on Pinside. It's worthless. Get yourself an actual digital level: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NPJGL0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
4) Waxing: This was the nail in the coffin for me and something that was counter-intuitive to what I suspected for the first 35 hours I messed with this thing.. My finding is that a recently waxed playfield makes the magnet work MUCH better than one that hasn't been waxed in hundreds of plays. In fact, as soon as my magnet starts missing again, the first thing I do is clean/wax the area around it and that does the trick - especially with the carbon-core balls. It grabs those suckers super fast.

Good luck!

#4885 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Thank you! I need new pinballs anyway so will give those a shot. Regarding the rubber post, would that be both posts on the orb? I am not as steep as 6.8 so will give it a shot. I does seem like it's a timing thing where the magnet comes on just a tad late, but may be due to pitch. Waxing: yes I have definitely experienced the same, a clean, waxed playfield helps the magnet work..for a few days. Will give these tips a try!

Well I went ahead and replaced them all so that they matched and were the cool blue, but it’s just the right side one coming out of the orb that matters - it bounces better against the cliffy and sends it right over the magnet.

And it’s so funny you mention that it seems like the magnet comes on late. I was so certain that was the issue for a while that I emailed Stern and told them they needed to add the magnet timing adjustment to a future update.. but after tinkering with all of the above, I think it’s just a matter of fine tuning.

Curious to hear your results once you adjust!

#4887 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

My machine is brand new and the magnet is clearly adjusting ball trajectories but I rarely see it actually grab the ball. Usually I see it swirl around the magnet and go up and hit the guardians Target. Is the ball supposed to be grabbed? cuz right now it feels like what Adam's family does. Not grabbing the ball but really screwing with it

No, what you’re describing sounds like what it should do: it should grab it and spin it around in circles 2-3times and then randomly throw it somewhere.

1 month later
#4992 3 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

I previously had purchased the cliffy sleeves from Pinball Life and they just didn't have the same kind of softness as the Titan Silicone. I can't recommend Titan enough.

FYI, PinballLife markets their sleeves as "Cliffy's" but I can confirm (have spoken to Cliff himself about this) that this is a lie - they stopped buying from him years ago. I've also done a comparison and the sleeves you get from PBL suck ass compared to Cliffs. It sounds like you already made another purchase of Titans, so the ship has sailed but for anyone else reading this, I'd suggest you reach out to Cliff himself to buy sleeves if you're interested in premium ones.

#4993 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Interesting. I changed out the sleeves recently with silicone sleeves and I am trying to remember now if I have seen it since
Will keep an eye to it. Never made a relation between the sleeves and magnet grab.

I posted this about a month ago, but for those struggling with the magnet, here's what I've found:

Ohhh if I could only describe the amount of frustration I've had on this issue. I've tried it all and even things that you won't read on here (like drilling entirely new holes to mount the core at various different angles in an effort to get this to work 100% of the time). After almost 40 hours of dicking around with it, I've gotten it to a place where it will grab it every time, but there's unfortunately not a single fix. It's a culmination of all of these items:

1) Balls: Get yourself some carbon-core balls. They react much more strongly to magnets. I got mine from ball baron.
2) The rubber post next to the chute: This plays a huge part. Order a cliffy blue one from Cliff himself (Don't get from pinball life as they are falsely labeled as Cliffy's but don't bounce as much).
3) Leveling/Pitch: This also plays a big part I've found best success at 6.8 degrees pitch and obviously it needs to be perfectly level left to right. That being said, don't rely on that stupid app people always tout on Pinside. It's worthless. Get yourself an actual digital level: amazon.com link »
4) Waxing: This was the nail in the coffin for me and something that was counter-intuitive to what I suspected for the first 35 hours I messed with this thing.. My finding is that a recently waxed playfield makes the magnet work MUCH better than one that hasn't been waxed in hundreds of plays. In fact, as soon as my magnet starts missing again, the first thing I do is clean/wax the area around it and that does the trick - especially with the carbon-core balls. It grabs those suckers super fast.
5) Put 1-2 washers beneath the core as found on other threads here. You want the actual center piece to be pressed up hard against the playfield - the ring does not matter.

Good luck!

1 month later
#5133 3 years ago

Hey there - Apologies in advance if this has been covered, but trying to search for 'groot' and "mouth" on this thread is a nightmare. I'm having an issue where groot can't shut his mouth on his first try. It takes him like 3-4 cycles before it eventually stops, and even then there's a slight gap. I've inspected the mechanism and can't really see anything that would cause this. Anyone else ever experience this? Any suggestion? Thanks!

#5135 3 years ago
Quoted from bajm:

I’d check it out in test mode and make sure it moves from open to close and back correctly. It sounds like you may have an issue where the switch isn’t closing at one or both positions. On the mech, I believe it’s a rollover switch... make sure it clicks when the mech moves over it. If it doesn’t, the CPU won’t know where it isn’t and tries to re-find a home...

Appreciate the suggestion! I actually couldn't locate the test for it. Any idea what section its in? Is it a coil?

Edit: found it! Didn’t realize there was a category for machine specific tests. Thanks!

1 month later
#5289 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

I have a latest run pro. Out of the box i set it up on the steep end, and the magnet worked perfect out of the orb. I dialed the angle back a little closer to 6.5 and the magnet is just barley nipping the ball out of the orb and tossing it straight to the left outlane. I don't believe the magnet is weak just maybe needs some tweaking..?
Any ideas?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/98#post-6043176

1 month later
#5406 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHomeBrew:

Can someone provide links or info how to access all the available sound mods? (The Cleland sound mod is available by sending a DM to Cleland on Pinside.)

As far as I know, there are three that circulate around. As of now (per Sterns legal strongarm), there aren't any public links anymore - all of them are available by DMing the creator. Those are:

Cleland
Sinestro
Applejuice

If you're interested in learning the nuances between each version, feel free to search those users names in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod

I personally prefer Applejuice's version.

1 year later
#6509 1 year ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

I got you fam.
List of applejuice cleland 1.09 factory settings vs. (Stern Factory 1.09 settings)
In Standard Adjustments:
#3 Replay award Extra ball (Credit)
#53 Ball Save 0.12 (0.05)
#57 Coin Door Yes (No)
In Guardians Adjustments:
#54 Start Game from Button No (Yes)
#63 Speech Attenuation -15 (0)
I usually agree with all these except ball save time, although it did allow me to get a GC first time out.

Is 5 seconds the factory setting? It’s 8 on all my other Sterns.

1 month later
#6601 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

quick question do you only get up to three haydon enforcers per game, or can u get more?
Thanks

They cannot stack higher than 3, but you can get them back up to 3 as many times as you can hit the 5 yellow hadron targets on the playfield.

1 month later
#6679 1 year ago
Quoted from Stugots:

New to the forum and also just got my invoice from Cointaker. This is my first pin.

This is an AMAZING first pin. Congrats! Great community here - feel free to ask any questions you have, and spend the next few days/weeks brushing up on the rules while you're waiting:

http://tiltforums.com/t/guardians-of-the-galaxy-pinball-rulesheet-wip/3338

1 week later
#6773 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

New pro here as of today. Ball get stuck behind the drop target sometimes.
Ball search won’t even drop the target for me.
Coil beneath has one small spring on the left side but not the right. Is that correct?
Or is it something else? Thanks guys.
Cg

Common issue.. Dissapointing to hear they are still shipping with this issue. Yes, a single spring is normal. What is happening is your magnet is not close enough to pull the metal tab that releases the drop target. There are lots of fixes out there.. Here's one that simply adds a rubber ring to fix it:

Here's one that I did that involves adding washers to the bracket as outlined in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/42#post-4411734

Finally, here's a third option which involves just bending the bracket with your hand which moves the magnet closer. This seemed to work for a period for me but would always revert back after some time which is why I inevitably went with the washer solution:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/53#post-4508167

#6776 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

ok, I just got my pro on Thursday and NO PROTECTOR on the scoop.
where do I get one?

https://www.pinballlife.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-scoop-protector.html

#6834 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Played yesterday maybe 10 games and today setup the insider connect. Got 23 achievements on my first play, 565 million and 1 shot away from Cherry Bomb multiball.
I didn’t think I would be interested in insider connected at all and now that I have one….my Jurassic park sitting next to me without one seems lonely….
I would say though that if they had not done the home team thing I wouldn’t be using it at all. I don’t usually have my phone on me when I play pinball at home, and I wouldn’t have wanted to print out my QR code and scan it all the time either.

Eh, I'd hold off... The novelty will fade. I was once also eager to upgrade all of my machines with IC when I first got my Godzilla, and after 3 months, I find myself never even logging into Godzilla anymore - even with home team. You're welcome in advance for the money saved!

#6886 1 year ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

I hear this all the time in most threads about the coil stops. I've been lucky I guess ( knock on wood ). But what stops do you guys put in yours? Link if you have one. And what's different about them? Just curious and ill order some just to have on hand in case.

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

That is the coil stop replacement and I definitely recommend it. Sterns factory stops are actually two pieces that are not welded together very well - the circular part in the middle over time will detach from the bracket and your flippers will not be as snappy. You'll also notice a lot of metal shaving pieces when you look beneath the playfield.

I personally disagree with other folks who said they aren't experiencing issues with recent Stern ones. The fact is they just don't notice it. I had a new Godzilla machine where only one of the coil stops had failed (upper flipper), but I went ahead and replaced all three and INSTANTLY noticed an insane difference in the lower flippers. MUCH snappier. This simple $5 upgrade is 100% a must-do on all Sterns in my opinion. One more tip, while you are replacing the coil stops, take 20 seconds more to replace the sleeves as well. Will also make a huge difference, especially if your Stern sleeves got dirty from their crappy stops. Here's the sleeve link:

https://www.pinballlife.com/2-316-coil-sleeve.html

#6888 1 year ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Thank you!! Appreciate the help and advice. Ordering some now.

Awesome! Replacing them is a cinch - would love to hear what you think afterwards!

1 week later
#7024 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I emailed them this morning and they created a ticket, I will update when I hear back. You should let them know, if it’s not an isolated incident they might be more likely to do a software patch that would help a lot of people

You won't hear back from them, and they aren't going to make the adjustment to the magnet timing. This has been brought up several times in the past with countless tickets and Stern ignores it. Now with GotG at the end of its run, there aren't going to be any more code changes.

At one point I was also convinced it was a magnet timing issue (to the point where I opened a ticket a year ago), but am now no longer in that camp. The magnet timing is fine. Here's my guide from a year ago on how to get the magnet to grab:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/98#post-6043176

#7044 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Yeah, it’s the magnet timing, I can literally place a ball there and it won’t grab it until after a ball would have past the spot regardless of waxing, playfield pitch, etc, then it will grab for a good 2 count.
I’m also sure they will get back with me, I’ve talked to Stern multiple times and never had them not respond to me. Will they fix it in code? Probably not, but I’m sure they will respond. Between an opto board issue with JP, asking about rules for older out of prosecution games, asking when Guardians is getting on the line, getting Jeremey Packers stuff accidentally sent to my house, etc I’ve always heard back from Stern, I know others have had issues with customer service from them but I have always found them to be very responsive.
I completely believe that what you did fixed it for you, but for my machine it’s for sure timing. The strength of the magnet grab is very strong, but there is just ZERO magnet activation when the ball is passing by initially.

To be clear, the magnet should NOT activate exactly while the ball is on top of it, that would cause the ball to just stop. The whole point is the magnet pulls the ball towards it so that it spins and goes chaotic. The timing of the magnet seems 'late' because of this.

Record and submit a video of what it's doing and we can take a look. And what is your playfield pitch at? The timing for the magnet to engaged is based on the drop target bouncing the ball UP first, into the orb lane, and then down hitting the post which with enough momentum to knock it left over the magnet. Everything I posted coincides with this action:

1) PF pitch needs to be right so that the ball travel time as it goes up and then back down aligns with magnet activity time.
2) Bounciness of that post rubber needs to be right to knock it over to the magnet.
3) Playfield needs to be waxxed up so that the magnet can suck the ball back towards it and give it that circular momentum its intended to.

#7056 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Well color me embarrassed I didn’t know that the ball should actually pass it up first. I wrongly assumed it grabbed it and the swinging around part was caused by a pulse or something. Your post makes a lot more sense, sorry.
I was at 7 and I’ve lowered it to various angles between 6.4 and 7, with no change, I think 6.4 was about as low as it would go while staying level in that pet of my basement.
The ball hits the post and travels over the magnet area for sure but can’t say off the top of my head if the drop target makes the ball go up first, I will play around with it all later tonight when I get time, thanks.

No need to apologize! Like I said, for a long time I was also convinced it had to do with the magnet timing.. You should see the underside of my playfield - I became so obsessed with the theory that I drilled about 30 holes in order to position the magnet progressively lower down the field to try and solve the issue.

Long story short, it's back where it was placed from the factory and my magnet grabs 100% of the time. I saw someone else post a video of what the ball should do, so figured I'd add another one so you can compare where the ball hits and the timing it goes through as another sample:

https://www.veed.io/view/a1391e5e-e045-4137-a452-219e5f63f8b5

One other idea - If you haven't already you might want to order carbon core balls and replace the Stern ones.

1 week later
#7116 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Going to play a bit with stock code first, but are most going with the v1 or v2 Cleland code?

+1 for AppleJuice's version over Cleland.

2 weeks later
#7218 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Anyone have an extra apron decal from the right side?
Im moving my insider connect from my nib gotg to imdn and need that decal to replace the insider connected spot.
Thx!

You're welcome to use my Pin Golf objectives card if you'd like...

4(3) (resized).jpg4(3) (resized).jpg
1 month later
#7563 1 year ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Just bringing this back around? Silly question I know but my son and I enjoy guessing what random call out will play on my other machines?

Nope - none on this machine.

2 weeks later
#7625 1 year ago
Quoted from Elephanthead:

Got GOTG delivered yesterday. October 4th 2022 build date. OMG the fan is so loud and high pitched. It is worse then my air hockey table. If it is gonna be close to someplace you sit I recommend having a replacement ready to install.

This is standard on any new Stern. You should 100% have a pinmonk quiet fan on order BEFORE you purchase any machine so you can replace it day 1.

https://pinmonk.com/products/spike-quiet-fan-plug-n-play-kit

#7626 1 year ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Are you guys turning these off with the Cleland code or the Stern code?

Both. Either. They are annoying as hell and get repetitive on game 2.

#7649 1 year ago
Quoted from DickWalker:

Hello everyone
Brand new to pinball and just received our 1st machine today a GOTG Pro NIB built 10/18/2022. It appears as though we are having the drop target release problem. I guess Stem is still shipping these out with issue. Should I call stem for a part or purchase off a website? Also, what else do you recommend to add/upgrade? Thanks

I wouldn’t even bother with Stern - their proposed fixes don’t work for this. Here’s a post I made a few months ago. Option 1 is by far the simplest and will fix your issue 100% of the time:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/136#post-7180041

2 weeks later
#7740 1 year ago

Did you try booting it up with the coin door closed?

#7746 1 year ago

Well, pretty certain that's your issue then.. Give it a try..

4 weeks later
#7870 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Se puede desactivar las voces de la película en el código cleland y dejar solo la música? Hay alguna opción en el menú? Si es así podéis decirme cuál es? Solo está en inglés y no lo distingo.gracias

Si - “feature adjustment” #55

2 months later
#7993 11 months ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Hi guys, are the post sleeves all the standard size on this game? The manual doesn't mention them. I have two different colours here and one in front of the ramp seems to be thinner.
[quoted image]

Careful messing with that one.. The fact that it doesn't match is indicative that your previous owner spent some time troubleshooting orb magnet issues. If you're lucky enough where your magnet works well, then they perhaps did you a favor and swapping it out could introduce issues.

2 weeks later
#8038 10 months ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I’m curious if anyone else is experiencing this, right after I complete the antiquities mode my G.I. lights will flicker with every switch hit. This only happens in that mode and only once it’s completed. Once you go onto another mode it goes away. I’m curious if it’s a code glitch from Stern? I am running the latest Cleland code

Guys, come on.. This is intentional - it does this in Antiquities 2 by design.

2 weeks later
#8055 10 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Damn I love this game.
Long way to get at my question… sanctuary doesn’t keep your progress. Do I have to complete that one ½ way first? Do I have to complete it all together?
After writing all this I realized I should just complete the entire mode. I’m still going to post because I think the game is underrated, stunning, and a blast to play.

Correct- Sanctuary is the only mode where your progress resets if you do not complete it in your attempts. That said it DOES register and keep track of your progress towards Immolation if you complete half of the targets.

#8057 10 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I just noticed the animation when playing a mode that lets you know you have activated immolation initiative. And also noticed the playfield lights up. Duh!

Yes - the mode insert blinks when you've qualified it for Immolation and remains solid when you've completed it entirely.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcvetyty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread?tu=mcvetyty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.