IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0020 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240315_180852874 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315-071752 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #22 Gold Side Rail option picture Posted by Blacksun (6 years ago)

Post #2129 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement fix. Posted by MapleSyrup (5 years ago)

Post #2448 MOD: hd60609 sign mod Posted by bobukcat (5 years ago)

Post #4883 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement tips Posted by mcvetyty (3 years ago)

Post #5401 TECH: PLAYFIELD Groot mouth replacement motor information. Posted by Markharris2000 (2 years ago)

Post #6642 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner add-on mod for GOTG Pro Posted by aaron6920 (1 year ago)

Post #6643 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner Mod Tip for cutting the plastic Posted by Spiderpin (1 year ago)

Post #6773 TECH: PLAYFIELD Orb drop target issue fix - with video Posted by mcvetyty (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

It always boggles my mind to see people plop coin down on a pin without playing it first.

assuming since it's basically a re-themed metallica. I don't see that being a bad thing. nothing stern has released lately has been that bad, even with star wars apparently there are enough people to like it for it to be #28. I haven't played it enough myself to pass judgement. Finally got a chance to put a descent amount of time on batman, I actually kind of liked it. Wouldn't ever own one but... So, even their "less popular" titles are still pretty fun, not sure, but I think that's what the majority of the people who own pins buy them for.

Maybe it was due to time constriction, money cost, laziness or since Metallica was rated really well, why change the basic format. some designers tend to keep it safe, which isn't a bad thing. Pinbot and jackbot are two of my favorite games. metallica and guardians at least look different, and will probably play completely different, with shots that are proven to work. After all the previous issues, if people are still pre-buying games, I'm sure most of them are aware of what they are getting into, it's their decision. If anything, it's good for the industry, someone has to be first.

#35 6 years ago

that sucks

1 month later
#437 6 years ago

I was going to order a full protector for this game. they didn't have the LE/premium yet, but have the pro, assuming they are the same right?
I asked them and they sent me the GOT differences, not GOTG. tried to clarify and got no response.

The only differences I could find, had nothing to do with the actual playfield layout.

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Who is "they"?

the german company that makes them.

#446 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Think DCFAN was looking for something a little more specific, like which German based company as you referring to? There’s at least 2 or 3 pinball companies in Germany I am aware of.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/
I went ahead and just ordered it, I'd like to get it out before to much time passes. figured I can modify any differences that might come up.

1 week later
#646 6 years ago

yup the semi just dropped of LE # two-hundred-thirty something a couple hours ago.

one thing I noticed was the playfield is actually smooth unlike game of thrones and ghostbusters. ghostbusters was especially unlevel if you ran your hand along it. good job stern.

the other one other thing was the billboard type display with the led's on it above the scoop was hitting the glass. probably gonna have to heat it up and bend it slightly. not sure if you can see the marks on the glass or not, crappy phone camera.
all in all it looks great though.

20171222_142132 (resized).jpeg20171222_142132 (resized).jpeg

#648 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Congrats on LE #23? ..
Man that is a bad Pic..
IPhone -10? kidding and merry Christmas enjoy!!

ok, 234#
no, Samsung note 4. the glass is cracked and there is crap all over the lense. Been time to get a new phone for a couple years now, to lazy though.
also much appreciated, happy holidays to you sir.

does anyone know what this is? it was laying inside the cab. looks like a thumb screw, it's flat on the top side where screws are usually + or - and round with ridges. taken with a better camera

DSCN0262 (resized).JPGDSCN0262 (resized).JPG

#664 6 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

looks like one of the screws from the coin mechs

nice, ok that makes sense. I was looking all over the bottom of the playfield thinking why in the hell would they use a thumb screw on any of this.
appreciate it.

#678 6 years ago

does anyone else have sound distortion problems. my volume is really low, but at certain frequencies it gets some static. almost like the speakers can't handle it maybe. Still on .73

#684 6 years ago
Quoted from AudioHaven:

Curious - how steep is everyone setting theirs up. Mine is pretty shallow right now with the bubble in the middle of the bottom line. I think maybe I should try it steeper.
So far, Pod Chase is the only mode I’ve beaten - this is my first real mode based game so I have a lot to learn and the shots are tight so it isn’t easy. But I like it like that.

just to let you know, I had the bubble in the middle as well and I decided to take a measurement with a few digital inclinometers I use all the time. it was reading 6.23. at 6.5 the bubble is touching the top line. I never rely on those bubble levels that come with games half the time they are off.

#700 6 years ago

I wasn't real sure about the hands, but they don't get in the way. They do cover the left orbit insert but, I guess you would know to shoot for it if nothing else was lit.

#706 6 years ago

guessing there really is no difference currently btwn LE/Premium and Pro magnet usage right now. unless I'm not seeing something.

#751 6 years ago

I've seen the swirl your talking about. haven't played a pro yet, i'd be curious to see the difference btwn the two as far as ball/magnet interaction.
I've had the magnet toss the ball down the left outlane several times, when it gets released from the orb shot.

#754 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Hopefully the next code update programs all 3 magnets. This was a big deal to have 3 magnet causing chaos.

ok, from the vids. there didn't seem to be much difference at all. Like to know what they come up with, love magnets.

I was able to order a new CPU board from my distro, for the static crackling sound the speakers gave after a turn ended. Chas said, there was another distributor in florida that had the exact same issue. So if you hear crackling distorted noise, replace your cpu board. Because it's not the code.

2 weeks later
#950 6 years ago

is there a ball save timer for the orb shot with the new code?
the magnet has a tendency to send the ball straight down the left outlane maybe 1 out of 8 times.

had some people complaining about this aspect of it, I checked the adjustments and didn't see anything for this.

#951 6 years ago

also does anyone else notice that static/crackling noise after your turn ends?
When I first heard it, I posted on here and someone said it might be the cpu board.
called chas he said there was another distro that had the same issue. he sent a new cpu board, I replaced it... yet the static is still there.

I went back and watch the deadflip stream on youtube and their it was.
Guessing it's part of the game, it doesn't sound right though.

nevermind just found another video and it's doesn't have that sound.

1 week later
#1066 6 years ago

so no-one else notices this static/crackling noise? I checked the dead flip stream just to see if I was imagining stuff, and the crackling noise was there.
So I figured it was part of the code, and was supposed to sound like that for some reason. That is till I found another you tube video of a pro and the sound was crystal clear when the static was supposed to be there. it's right after your turn ends, right before the bonuses are added.

already tried replacing the CPU board with a new sim card, next I'm going to try the FF speakers to see if that does anything. (unless I got a crap replacement CPU board, I'm not sure what else it could be). Updated/reloaded the code a few times also.
it's not a big problem, but it still bugs me all the same.

1 week later
#1130 6 years ago
Quoted from bcsellie:

I'm having the very same issue on my early release game (shipped with .66 code). The crackling sounds absolutely horrible, and emails to "Chas" have received little to no feedback regarding resolution.
Any update here from others on a remedy?
Blaine

figured there were others out there.
bought some FF speakers a couple days ago, should be in next week hopefully.
I'll let you know if this resolves the issue.
I was going to email chas a video of mine vs. another if this doesn't work. otherwise it's just replacing parts at random, wanted to start getting a backup node board collection going anyway. The spike 2 cpu board is freakin expensive though.

let me know if you figure it out as well.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1141 6 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I noticed some crackling sounds in certain modes

crap man, yours sounds worse then mine.
If it is software then why are some worse then others? not saying it isn't, that would actually be really great if it was.
yup, I as well was hoping the cpu board was the fix.

It's not a game ender, but still an annoying issue.

hoping they stick with spike 2 for a while, at least a few years.

2 weeks later
#1286 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Yup this just happened.. 1st time for this one.. All good the beer is cold!!

yup, I played a test game and that happened as well.
thinking of maybe getting those protectors for that plastic to make it more rigid.

1 month later
#1630 6 years ago

Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I'm not sure what the situations is. This is a perfect storm for broken plastics. I need to fix it if I route this game. I don't want to be fixing Stucky balls every couple days or so.

I've only seen it happen twice on mine and it's a route game, it's gotten a lot of play. It does suck when the stuck ball stops game play all together
lasseriffic makes a plastic to strengthen the rocket plastic I'm about to grab. not sure if it's going to solve the issue.

I bought that plastic for the pro before it was listed for pro only. apparently they now make a premium/le version.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4811

the main area where the ball gets caught a lot more is up in the top right corner. there is a big hole in the plastic (near the gate) the ball rolls right into and sits.
the patron has to tilt the game to get the ball out. Was thinking about adding a post, I hate the idea of drilling into the plastic but....

Seems like they rushed this out, without extensive testing. All my other stern games have post that block those areas.

1 month later
#1973 5 years ago
Quoted from ddebuss:

Here's some video showing what's going on. » YouTube video

that sucks, I know mine went down without hitting it.
I thought there was some type of adjustment, but I didn't see anything. Probably different then SAM games.

I found the ledge on the drop had worn down enough to where it wasn't able to catch on the assembly. I replaced the drop and its back at 100%, next time I'll try to find another fix because that's not something I want to be doing every few months. I'd have to look at it again but maybe a lower tensioned spring? (this might help with the inevitable wear on the drop ledge). I also Thought there was something that could be done with the hardware that holds the drop in place.

Assuming GB hasn't had these same issues because you don't hit those drop targets anywhere close to the same amount you do hitting orb. that and the spring tension is probably a little less, they even came out with a spring kit for GB drops because they weren't dropping half the time.

3 weeks later
#2198 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think it's really a matter of getting the magnet coil closer to the ball so it has little bit more power.

guess it makes sense if a magnet was further away it field wouldn't be as strong. Never dawned on me to look at that as the issue.
I always just assumed the magnetic coil was weaker or something. Will be checking this for all games from here on out. thanks

1 week later
#2281 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

More
All of that is in there. Robert Gagno gets farther than old Jack.

Damn, wish I had the time to devote get even a 1/6th of that score. GOTG and MET are two games I struggle with for some reason. I can play them for a couple hours feel comfortable... then I come back to em a week later and I'm back to where I was when I started bricking shot after shot.

I'm a lot more consistent with TNA and Iron man.

#2285 5 years ago
Quoted from Tungsten78:

It’s important to note that the coil itself induces the magnetic field while the steel spindle becomes the magnet. The spindle needs to sit flush against the playfield - that’s what the washers are doing. This is why shimming the coil only against the playfield doesn’t have the same effect.

I wonder if I was to make the magnets a tad bit stronger. Like changing them to something with less resistance. hmmmm….

Haven't put a lot of time on the pro, but I have noticed the magnets are a lot more active on the premium/LE. has anyone noticed a major difference, say in orb multiball?

2 weeks later
#2368 5 years ago

I came in today and saw guardians out of order. found that groot had all 6 balls in his mouth... Guess the coil didn't have enough power to push them all out?

got the balls out & played a quick game to test. I haven't played it since the latest code update (1.01 or whatever) is he supposed to spit one ball out then the rest? or all at the same time like he used to? if the latter, then I have a problem.

#2370 5 years ago

ok, it is messed up. the coil doesn't have enough strength to push them out. tested the coil it tests out at 4.2 ohms, with is in range of the what it's supposed to be 3.9 ohms.

#2372 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

ok, it is messed up. the coil doesn't have enough strength to push them out. tested the coil it tests out at 4.2 ohms, with is in range of the what it's supposed to be 3.9 ohms.

never mind, weird....
looks like there was to much friction on the track & plunger-ball-pusher-thing. took it apart and added a small amount of super lube on the track, used it very sparingly so the balls wouldn't get all greasy. Now groot is spitting out balls like I remember.

anyone else have an issue with this thing by chance?

#2373 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Just made a new & improved plastic protector!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/65183

have you made the bicycle girl plastic by chance?
Mine is cracked all over & finally broke off from the screw holding it when I saw it today,
I've seen aftermarket ones but they are probably not very flexible.

1 month later
#2725 5 years ago

anybody else have stress fractures all over their ramp support tabs?
my game has been on location for maybe 7 months and I have 4 tabs that have completely broken off and the rest have really bad stress fractures.

Was looking at other games with plastic ramps and even though there are a few stress fractures it's nothing like this game. Was thinking maybe it was due to how fast the ball was traveling and the resistance met along the way (with all the curves)?

Think I'm going to start adding a washer & rubber washer underneath the ramp supports for games that have plastic ramps, still crazy since it relatively new. I always expect this when the game is like 5-10 years old but, 7 months is a little fast to be replacing ramps...right?

#2727 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Wow, that does seem extreme. Any idea how many games is has on it?

just a guesstimate, maybe 8-10k depending on replays/matches.
not an insane amount, compared to some locations.

hate plastic ramps
Least I learned something about how to help prevent this in the future.

#2732 5 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

My man DF has it. Always call Stern before typing on the inter webs.

Normally I don't, just thought it was weird because I don't usually see this type of support wear unless I'm buying an older B/W game. All my other sterns that use plastic ramps with similar plays still look pretty good. Wanted to see if it was isolated to this type of game with curvy high velocity ramps or isolated to me. The rest of the ramp itself still looks fine.

I remembered when I first saw really bad stress fractures on plastic ramps I always assumed someone overtightened the screw coupled with gameplay. Now I know it can be caused by gameplay alone. Was also hoping for a collaborative discussion on another solution, better then my washer/rubber washer idea.

Still learning different little tricks all the time, that help with reliability. The game has made enough to justify new exit ramps, so I'm not to concerned about that. Just don't want to have to replace the ramps again in 7 months, especially if there was something else I could of done to extend their life.

still dislike plastic ramps though.

#2734 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Totally! Always call. Be nice and say "hey my GOTG that I have on location ramps got damaged after a short period of time." Add "I never had problems with my ramps on IMDN, SW, BM, AS, WWE, GB, SM, TWD...……." See if that grabs their attention.

I'll give it shot, usually when a game is over 6 months it's hit or miss. Stern has always been more then helpful with anything I've had to through at them, especially Chas.

#2735 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What about 2 clear or nylon washers @ each point?

on the new ramps.... might not be a bad idea. I've only ever used that plastic welder stuff for to help with fractures like this, never thought about adding clear to ramps. have you tried it before?

I've used clear really sparingly in the past to fill chipped holes, or chipped clear on drains. didn't always turn out pretty, but it worked.

#2737 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I'm referring to plastic washers
Basically a washer goes atop & under the ramp where the bolt or screw passes through. Might need a longer bolt with the added thickness?
That will spread out the pressure point & make ramps stronger I'd bet.
[quoted image]

ahhhh.... clear washers gottcha.
yeah that'd look a lot better then what I got going on.

I'll go ahead and order some from amazon and try em out.

something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-thin-Thickness-Plastic-Washers-Transparent/dp/B075Q8JBR3/ref=sr_1_30

#2740 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I've never done this actually, it just popped into my head.
My TWD ramps look like someone torqued down on em in the past so I will likely be in your shoes soon.

I went ahead and ordered all the other stuff and new exit ramps, gonna try to get as much use out of the old ones as possible.
Just happy stern is releasing games with metal ramps. 10 or 20 years it might be more difficult to find these if you needed spares... if the game is still working that is.
I have a TWD that gets plays quiet a bit, those ramps still look pretty good. I might go ahead a pre-emptively add the extra support though.

2 years later
#5120 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

I think the only difference is the spinners if I read the right comparisons. Can anyone verify this?

on the pre/le you have some groot arms that get in the way and make it hard to clean, three magnet vs. one on the pro.... I'm not sure two of them do much, a couple spinners, RGB lighting, and a rocket figurine that moves half an inch with the kickout. Out of all that the RGB lighting would probably be the deciding factor, does look nice... spinners are always cool too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
6,495 (Firm)
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.