IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0020 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240315_180852874 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315-071752 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #22 Gold Side Rail option picture Posted by Blacksun (6 years ago)

Post #2129 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement fix. Posted by MapleSyrup (5 years ago)

Post #2448 MOD: hd60609 sign mod Posted by bobukcat (5 years ago)

Post #4883 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement tips Posted by mcvetyty (3 years ago)

Post #5401 TECH: PLAYFIELD Groot mouth replacement motor information. Posted by Markharris2000 (2 years ago)

Post #6642 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner add-on mod for GOTG Pro Posted by aaron6920 (1 year ago)

Post #6643 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner Mod Tip for cutting the plastic Posted by Spiderpin (1 year ago)

Post #6773 TECH: PLAYFIELD Orb drop target issue fix - with video Posted by mcvetyty (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coolcatpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3322 5 years ago

Hi everyone! Hopefully I'll be joining the club soon Can someone answer a quick question? Are the aprons in the new Stern machines (guardians in particular) made of plastic or metal? If they are plastic, can they be replaced with a metal one?

#3329 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

My pro has a plastic apron

Well, nuts..... I'll have to see about a metal replacement. I'm planning on doing some powder coating as soon as I get mine, and I like the aprons to match the rails/legs.

#3332 5 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

The Pros have the plastic version. If you want to switch it to metal, you'll need 2 of these and then screw them into your playfield. Most are too nervous to screw these in and make new holes.
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-arch-retainer-bracket.html[quoted image]

Thanks for the Info. I assume once I have those, I'd need a newer style metal apron that would be on the premium/le? An older style stern apron still wouldnt work?

1 week later
#3399 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinj135:

Would love to hear what mods everyone has! Just got my NIB pro last week.
I’ll start, so far I did:
-Groots mouth illuminated
-Backboard and back of ramps illuminated
- plastic protectors
- new flipper covers
Seems like a bunch of people are adding subs. How about pinstadiums? Shakers? Illuminated hinges?

I think I will order one of these Subs from Monoprice and give it a try. Has anyone else used these?

Screenshot_20190222-110108_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190222-110108_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#3402 5 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

I may be in the minority but the art blades make this game look really good. I also really like the lighted speaker grills and the lighted orb plastic

I have some art blades from pinball life ready to install on mine. Once they're on, I assume they're permanent huh? I was expecting metal blades. Like mirrors, but with artwork. What I recieved was a very thick durable "sticker" for lack of a better term. So, I assume, once they're on, you can never go back to plain black sides?

#3403 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinj135:

Are the lighted speaker grills interactive w the game or independent?

I like that price! The one I’ve heard a lot about is the Polk psw 110

Same here. Looks like the Polk from Amazon is about $20 more once I factor in tax/shipping from each seller. Hmmmm... the Polk is a 10" and more powerful... decisions...

#3439 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I am about 90% set on picking up a Pro this weekend or changing my mind and going with a Hobbit. The seller is offering to put in titan rubbers for cheap. Assuming I went with the Guardians, what color would you pick?

I just ordered a complete set in dark blue. The titan purple is very light purple so I ruled that one out

#3440 5 years ago

Also, I posted a few days ago about this 8" sub from Monoprice. Looks like they're offering 20% off today only. I buckled and bought one. $67 shipped to my doorstep. I'll let everyone know how it performs.

Screenshot_20190226-124808_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190226-124808_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

#3443 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinj135:

Anyone put a shaker on their guardians? Any feedback? Is it generic shakes with the hits or does it actually have some good game interaction?

I just installed one a few days ago. I have yet to get some real time in with it. There are settings in the game adjustments for how often the shaker activates. There is a setting for minimal, normal, and maximum. The max setting was too much for me. I put it on normal and it still seems to activate with every major shot. I have yet to try minimal because I have parts shipped out for powder coat and the game is non operational at the moment. Its wel worth the $99 in my opinion. Hope that helps

#3451 5 years ago

I'm pretty new to this game (pro model). What's normal behavior for the magnet under the playfield. On my machine, whenever the orb releases the ball the magnet sort of "bumps" the ball and redirects it straight down the middle. Most of the time. The magnet wont catch the ball, or randomly throw the ball. Just a slight bump every time. Is that normal?

#3453 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

No. You might need to add a washer under the magnet to put the magnet closer to the playfield.

Thanks, so how is it supposed to behave? A full catch? Or sort of a random spin? Or something else totally?

#3455 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Full catch and sort of wiggles in place for a moment.

Cool, I'm working on it now. Mine definitely does not catch at all...

#3458 5 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I spaced up my magnet, and coincidentally put some purple superbands on my posts while I had the machine open, and it seems to be doing great now. Not sure which one was the solution, maybe a combo of both. But, I'm up and running. Thanks again

#3463 5 years ago
Quoted from MrPoppins:

New here, this will be my first pin. I put in an order two months ago and the dealer said they are waiting for shipment but Munsters is taking up most of Sterns assembly line. Anyone else waiting too?

There are dealers here on pinside with ads saying they have them in Stock ready to ship. After 2 months, I'd cancel my order and get one from another dealer

#3489 5 years ago

Totally dumb question, but I cant seem to find the answer. Do these spike 2 systems have batteries or do they come equipped with nvram now?
I always put nvram in my machines, but this is my first jump into modern pins.
Thanks!

#3493 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Coin Battery on cpu board in backbox I believe

Awesome. So much less likely to cause leaking issues than the old AA batteries And is there an Nvram available for guardians?

#3498 5 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Also, I posted a few days ago about this 8" sub from Monoprice. Looks like they're offering 20% off today only. I buckled and bought one. $67 shipped to my doorstep. I'll let everyone know how it performs.
[quoted image]

The powered 8" sub I posted about in #3440 arrived and I got it hooked up. I used the alligator clips on the bottom speaker method. Ran the wire out to the speaker inputs on the sub. SO.... I'll start by saying, I'm used to the sound systems on dmd era Stern machines. When I first played my GOTG, I thought, man, this thing sounds way better than my older Sterns. Well, after adding the subwoofer I'm completely blown away!!! This thing rocks! Now, if I disable the sub, the game sounds awful to my ears....lol. I'd recommend this sub to anyone looking. The price is hard to beat. I can't say how it compares to the Polk 10" everyone mentions here since I've never heard the polk. But, I'm one happy customer with the Monoprice 8"

#3501 5 years ago
Quoted from JFink8222:

I have an older Energy 10” sub sitting around. It’s powered and was near $300 back in the day ( + - 10 yrs ago). Thing is brand new. Only used it about 6 months. Can you hook up ANY powered sub to this game with alligator clips? Would prob shake my house if I did

As long as the sub has speaker level inputs, it's that easy, yes. If the sub only accepts RCA style inputs, you need a line out converter

#3505 5 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

What is happening here??
Single player game, played through the entire round. Even put up a mediocre highs score.
Has anyone seen this before?

Lol, how about that. I saw that on my machine a few days ago. But, since it's a new machine for me, I had no clue it was abnormal. I'm running Cleland 1.06 on mine.

#3510 5 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Okay. I need some help. Totally new to Stern ownership. Have had very few issues with EATPM.
I fixed the drop target using the ST fix. Yay!
Today I had two issues pop up:
#1 The auto-launcher isn't always firing at full force. It just kinda "clicks." It seems that is I raise the play field and put it in test, it works properly. However, when I lower the playfield, it goes back to just a click. Any thoughts?

#2 While I was in the middle of a game, I heard the dreaded sound of something hitting the bottom of the cabinet. Found a small washer in the bottom of the cabinet. I triggered the Groot trough coil and a screw fell out. Anyone have idea where they might have come from before I disassemble Groot? There is nothing visibly missing from under the playfield, so I'm thinking it might be from inside Groot.
Thanks in advance for any insight y'all have!
[quoted image]

Not sure about #1. The screw issue is probably from underneath the orb from what I have read here. I found a screw as well just like that one. I haven't replaced it. But, i seem to recall reading that the screws under the orb are known to come loose. Perhaps someone with more ownership time will have more specific knowledge.

#3511 5 years ago

Swapped out my plastic apron for an older Stern metal apron to get some powder coating done. I'm thrilled with the results so far. Rails should be ready next week

20190307_180500 (resized).jpg20190307_180500 (resized).jpg20190307_201101 (resized).jpg20190307_201101 (resized).jpg20190307_211340 (resized).jpg20190307_211340 (resized).jpg
#3513 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Wow. That looks fantastic!

Thanks!! The pictures dont do the color justice though. It's got lots of metallic flake and looks darker/lighter depending on how the light in the room hits it. I couldn't be happier.

#3516 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Is it a straight swap out to remove a plastic apron for a metal one?

Almost a straight swap. You have to drill holes for the 2 brackets that secure the apron in front, but it's no big deal. The only other mod is on the left lower corner of the metal apron (left side towards the start button) you will need to notch out the new metal apron to keep it from bumping the back of the start button. Do that before painting/coating. I found out after the fact.....lol

#3517 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

That looks really nice, post pics when you get the legs back, might I suggest some nicer apron cards?

Legs are on. I'm just waiting on the side rails. They didn't turn out well and are being redone

#3519 5 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

Who did the powder coating for you? How much was it?

A local company a few miles from my house does it. This is the 3rd machine they've done for me. You'll think I'm lying about the price........
To do 4 legs, lock down bar, apron, and 2 rails, as long as I'm using a color they have on hand, they're charging me $140.
Thus far I've brought them a mix of new bare metal parts, and used standard black parts. That price has included sand blasting and stripping of the parts. Thats an insanely low price, but who am i to argue. And, the quality of the work is amazing. Very few if any imperfections.
My ripleys is a hammered bronze finish, RCT is a bright red, and now Guarsians is metallic royal blue.

#3521 5 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

Wow. Can I send you mine? Only half way joking of course

I'll be talking to them Monday. I can certainly ask them if they're interested in mail order business. I bet they say no way though, due to liability and the fact that they stay covered up with business. They do lots of work for auto dealers on wheels, and lots of suspension stuff for lifted 4x4s. I am in the southeast ya' know.....lol. But seriously, I'll ask them.

1 week later
#3567 5 years ago

I picked up a pro second hand, then added the features that were most important me. Those being service rails for $50, shaker motor for $100, and since I was doing powder coating and had a spare metal apron, I did the apron swap. I'm pleased as can be. If I had the spare cash, and the trade was right, i may have went for a premium. BUT, when trading, we all know, better jump if the deal is right.

#3575 5 years ago

Got mine from pinball life also. Have fun getting to it to do the install. Its not too bad actually. Just take pictures first.

#3578 5 years ago

FINALLY got my rails back from powder coat and got my machine back together. Here's how it turned out. The last pic is to show the metallic

20190320_214304 (resized).jpg20190320_214304 (resized).jpg20190320_214321 (resized).jpg20190320_214321 (resized).jpg20190320_214355 (resized).jpg20190320_214355 (resized).jpg
#3580 5 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

Looks very nice! Can't tell from the pics, does the blue come close to the color of the t-molding? Otherwise, I think they make a darker blue t-mold. I changed my t-molding out on many games. I bet even the chrome t-mold would look nice and expensive with that metallic blue powder...

Yeah, I have some darker blue T on hand. I just haven't messed with it yet

2 months later
#3773 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

It's all about the multipliers.

I have absolutely no idea how the multipliers work. Is there anywhere I can read up on the more in depth rules?

#3778 4 years ago

Thanks for the info guys! I'll read up on it! I always hear the game say "you got a multiplier!" But I have no idea what its doing... lol

#3808 4 years ago
Quoted from UnJed:

Have any of you installed the scoop protector? I bought one for my pro before realizing its not an easy install.[quoted image]

I installed one as well. It's not as bad as it looks. Just take some pictures before you start. I had it done in under 30 minutes. It looks great once it's in place.

1 month later
#3964 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Are there ramp decals available for the pro ?
Anyone did a powdercoat job on the trim and can show pictures ? (Also pro)
Thanks
Greetings

Powder coat

20190320_214321 (resized).jpg20190320_214321 (resized).jpg20190307_180500 (resized).jpg20190307_180500 (resized).jpg20190307_211340 (resized).jpg20190307_211340 (resized).jpg20190320_214304 (resized).jpg20190320_214304 (resized).jpg20190320_214355 (resized).jpg20190320_214355 (resized).jpg
#3977 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

This looks beautiful, how is that powder called ?

The color is called " Illusion Blueberry ". It has a nice metallic flake in it that caught my eye.

2 weeks later
#4019 4 years ago
Quoted from cldgin2:

Finally got my GOTG Pro delivered! Its already been a blast. I want to thank every one in this thread for all the knowledge and advice they've been sharing. It was useful in my decision to purchase and sanity while waiting. Already been doing some mods such as Cleland sound mod and some action figure additions.
Here are some pic's of us setting it up... Quick question also. This is my first new pin. Is it normal to hear the fan inside to kick on and off every little bit? My only other pin is a 40 year old Bally Star Trek, no fans lol.
Thanks again![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The fan is totally normal on spike systems. So normal in fact there's a "quiet fan" kit you can buy. But that seems silly to me.

#4025 4 years ago

Gotta share this with the group. I was at a local pinball/arcade bar last night and a couple was playing Gotg next to me and my fiancee. They obviously didn't know any of the rules and were saying things like "what do I do, where should I hit it, why is that flashing?". So, my fiancee, being very outgoing and friendly gave them a few quick tips and said "I only know because we actually own this game". The guy instantly became an ass and was dead set on convincing me that Stern games were generally garbage and could sometimes be fun if they were working. He said the main problem with Stern is that they only make 200 of each title and then abandon the title and move on to the next. I asked, "do you mean 200 limited editions?" He says no, 200 total, that's why they never work right. At that point, we both finished our game and just walked away. Where the hell do people come up with this stuff?

#4031 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

I'm officially a member of this club! Picked up my Pro today. Such a great game!
[quoted image]

You will love it, and you will hate it!! Such a challenge.

#4051 4 years ago
Quoted from cldgin2:

What are cliffy protectors exactly? such a noob here

They're thin stainless metal guards that protect areas of the playfield. Usually scoop entrances, and ramps. There are a few different manufacturers, but Cliffys is kind of the go to for these things.

https://www.passionforpinball.com

#4067 4 years ago

One of my flippers was actually touching the playfield just a hair. Adjusting it from underneath didn't help much. Then I realized they sell tiny nylon bushings that go between the bottom of the flipper and the playfield for this very problem. 1 bushing solved my issue

#4069 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

That’s weird- you shouldn’t need to add a bushing? The nylon flipper holder should give you clearance on the top side

I agree, it should. But it didn't when the flipper was at rest, it ever so slightly touched. I tried adjusting it multiple times with differing results. In the end, all it needed was that tiny extra nylon bushing. Not sure why.

#4079 4 years ago
Quoted from cldgin2:

Getting there. This game is fun as hell, especially with the cleland mod. I know score pales compared to many of you, I’m working on it. My son and I have a fun rivalry going at least lol
[quoted image]

Thats what it's all about man! Having fun. Scores are secondary. Unless of course you're competing for a cash prize.... then to hell with fun...

#4089 4 years ago

Does anyone know if GoTG pro has a subwoofer output anywhere? Either 3.5mm or Rca style jacks?

#4091 4 years ago
Quoted from midhandicapper:

It does not have a subwoofer output - but attaching a subwoofer is really easy if you use the Pinnovators subwoofer connector. It literally takes 5-10 minutes to connect. Just make sure you buy the appropriate SPIKE version (they also do one for the earlier SAM systems).
Just unplug the existing speaker connection from the board (this was the only part that made me nervous, because I didn't want to accidentally yank anything off, but if you just rock the connector as you pull, it'll disengage), plug Pinnovator adaptor into the board, and plug the existing speaker connection into the Pinnovator adaptor (i.e. you're essentially adding the Pinnovator adaptor in between the speaker connection and the board). You then plug the included 3.5mm subwoofer cable into the Pinnovator adaptor, and then guide it into the lower cabinet and out one of the vent holes. If you have RCA inputs on your subwoofer, there's an included 3.5 mm-to-RCA adaptor.
On the product description page on the Pinnovators site you can actually get a PDF of the instructions. They have photos to help you along.

Thanks!

#4099 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

My speakerlights Came in today, man they Look so great on this machine[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice powder coat job! I like the color. In fact.......lol...

20190307_180500 (resized).jpg20190307_180500 (resized).jpg20190320_214321 (resized).jpg20190320_214321 (resized).jpg
#4107 4 years ago

I was just looking at the features matrix chart from Stern, and they list a "CPU mounted line out audio Jack for external amplification" on all models including Pro. Can someone explain to me where this is? And would it be suitable for providing signal to a powered subwoofer? I currently have an adapter from pinnovators on my machine, but if there's a built in Jack for it....

#4109 4 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Okay. So you got me to wondering about this and I started looking. The short answer is there isn't one. Having said that, looking at the manual, it looks like CN5 can be used for audio out. On GOTG, it's a 6-pin connector with L and R out. Looking at the JP manual, it's a 7-pin connector with L, R and woofer out. What I find really interesting, is that the diagram in my backbox does not match the CPU (or the diagram in the manual) and shows what looks like a line out connector at CN3. I don't know enough to go experimenting with this stuff, so I think the Pinnovators connector is probably the best way to go. Did they change the design somewhere along the way and not update the features matrix? Hopefully someone else can shed more light on this. You really got me wondering now.

Lol, right?! It sure would be nice to have a 3.5mm output or Rca style output right on the board. My JP pro will arrive next week, and I'll look it over thoroughly. I also have a call in to pinnovators to pick their brain about it. They're calling me back this evening after hours.

#4129 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

What is the color you used? Got a brand and name?

Exact same color here. Prismatic powders illusion blueberry

1 month later
#4232 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thank you for the reply. Was yours an early run game or more recent?
I am considering getting one that was made in late 2017. It looks good and has some nice upgrades but there is some very small pooling around a few of the posts.
No chipping at this point so wondering what opinions are on if the minor pooling should even be a concern given the game is almost 2 years old and no indications of chipping so far?...

I wouldn't worry about it 1 bit. I have a pro with ever so slight pooling. I bought it used before I even knew what pooling was. Mine hasn't worsened or chipped either. Hell, I never ever would have even noticed it, had I not inspected it like a madman after reading some threads. Don't let it stop you from playing.

1 month later
#4251 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Does anyone know the part number for the pro lockdown bar and does it come with the button and the surround?
Neil.

I'm not sure of the part #, but I purchased one from Pinball life and it does have the button hole.

1 month later
#4274 4 years ago
Quoted from mbasnight:

Does anyone have mirror blades and pinstadium lights? My mirror blades cause the playfield to almost scrape the blades, so I’m fearful adding a 1-2mm magnet to the top of the blades for the pin stadium will cause me a bunch of stress when trying to open up the machine.

I had both on a Simpsons pinball party. It was a TIGHT squeeze, but worked. Had to be very precise raising the playfield. No experience with the hovers.

#4282 4 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

Woooohoooo!
Just a quick game before family comes over and boom!
Merry christmas![quoted image]

Holy shit....lol

2 months later
#4346 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Just got mine done, pretty much the same colour:
What did you do with the T-Mold as the blue shade just clashes?

I went with a dark blue T mold. I'll see if I can remember to snap a picture when I get home. Yes, the light blue looks awful with that color powder.

1 month later
#4375 4 years ago
Quoted from LFD45:

what does the small PCB on the back of the drop target assembly do? I think mine is broken[quoted image]

3 of those pins appear to have zero solder on them?!

1 week later
#4386 4 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Is it just me, or are the outlanes brutal on this game? Mine seems to suck balls over there. Infuriating.

Left outlane FOR SURE!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#4408 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

It is a wire. It would be an even smaller deal if I had a soldering iron or any idea how to use one...
I guess it's time to figure this out!![quoted image]

Looks like the other wire is about to come loose also. Just heat it up and it should reflow. I promise, it's easy

#4415 4 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

[quoted image]

No, no, no, no.... unless you dont want to use your hand for a few months....

1 week later
#4435 3 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

That looks nice. What's the cheapest your guys seen used pro's go for? $4300.
I would like to get one, and officially join the club.

I dont think I've ever seen a pro as cheap as 4300. I believe 4600 is about as low as I've seen, but I'm just 1 dude

2 months later
#4523 3 years ago
Quoted from mima:

No, this is not a OEM part, just a modification to raise the bat slightly higher over the playfield

My GOTG had this same issue on the right flipper. They do actually sell those clear nylon spacers for a few cents. I believe I ordered mine from Pinballlife.com
1 washer, and I was back in business

Here ya go! 25 cents each.
https://www.pinballlife.com/nylon-flipper-shaft-spacer.html

#4529 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Update: new flipper bushing worked! Yay

Yup, its funny that mine had the exact same issue. Bushing fixed it right up. There was no way to fix it without the bushing. I tried....

3 weeks later
#4598 3 years ago

Just heard in another thread that we can change the choose mode at beginning of play setting? How do the modes work if that is disabled? Just curious if i might like that way better than choosing at start.

#4601 3 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Same way you do it mid game - by shooting the scoop.

Gotcha. So having it set to select a mode at start gives the player a free scoop shot in essence. I think I'll leave it set to factory. I have enough trouble hitting the scoop as is

3 weeks later
#4665 3 years ago

If they could just code in some pauses on the timer for pop bumpers, video sequences, scoop, etc. I'd be 100% satisfied. Sometimes that scoop takes 5 or 6 seconds!

4 weeks later
#4738 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

So now on the fence will I install a playfield protector or not?

HELL NO
Change the rubbers and pinballs when needed, keep the playfield clean and waxed and play the game. You'll be fine. Congratulations on the find!

#4746 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Quick question. Not really impressed by the sound quality. Looking at the speakers I can imagine why ....
Anybody experience with othe speakers? I will take the external subwoofer from my twd and hook it up to Gotg.

I would consider the Pinwoofer super kit. It sounds great, replaces all 3 speakers, gives you separate bass, treble, gain control, and eliminates the need for an external sub.

1 week later
#4761 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Thanks, I made them.. I threw them in my store if you want to see a couple of still pictures of them. They are a pain to make and take a ton of time, but the results are really cool. They are hard to photograph properly though.

I'm not seeing them in the store. I need some good apron cards for my GOTG, JP, and RBION. I know I could print them myself, but I'll admit, I'm not terribly computer savvy with these type things, and I'm just lazy.

1 week later
#4781 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I totally agree. That is why I was asking if dferg24 if they had played both. The light show is really great on the pro.

I was just about to say "I've never played a premium, but I dont feel like I'm missing out on anything with my pro. The light show looks more than adequate ".

1 week later
#4803 3 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

This is true, and normal for this game. Hoping it's not the normal for all machines moving forward because the rails are definitely superior. These studs suck ass.

Stern only used the studs for a couple years, and most everyone hated them. So, Stern switched back to the rails. Definitely not the new norm, thank goodness.

#4816 3 years ago

Yes, again, Stern only put pegs on pros for a few years/titles. People pretty much hated them, rightly so. Stern now puts rails on all models, pro, premium, Le. Not sure why people are still debating this, those are the facts.

Personally, I'm in love with the rails on my JJP GnR. I wish all games came with these bad boys....

20201203_093809 (resized).jpg20201203_093809 (resized).jpg
#4818 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Not debating that. I was just shocked my brand new built NOV 14th 2020 Guardians has the pegs. That is all. At least it has the updated leg brackets.

That is pretty crappy. Youd think new builds would have rails. I guess they stick with the original build specs come hell or high water.

1 week later
#4855 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Game has a lot of plays but it in great shape. Groot motor is bad. Is that common?

Congrats Kermit, you'll love it. I've not heard anything personally about bad motors on Groot, and I've been in this thread for over a year. Biggest issues are airballs when hitting the orb drop target, the drop target not functioning properly, and magnets under the playfield not catching the ball as they should. Pretty solid game mechanically.

2 months later
#5071 3 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

It's officially home... Need to get it all leveled and up on the wall.
This will not be it's final place [quoted image]

I think theres something else that needs to be on the wall first??

#5079 3 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Closer look at the screws. You can see ones tapered and the other two are rounded head.
Almost looks like 3 totally different screws.[quoted image]

I'd bet money they're all from around the orb area. There's lots of tiny upside down screws there that love to come loose. And yes, I was cracking a joke about the lack of a finished wall, lol. Priorities, right!

#5111 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Is The Premium The One To Get Or Is The Pro Good Enough.
Thanks

Pro is an excellent choice

4 months later
#5454 2 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

The code is fine, the only reason I could see them doing an update is to add DJ mixer, co-op, a challenge mode or online connectivity.

Along with pausing the timer while ball is in the pops or scoop. Pretty please....

2 months later
#6104 2 years ago
Quoted from Hoteldrummer:

I did that with my JP blades and ended up buying the plastic blade protectors from Pinball Life. They were like $30 which seemed like a lot for plastic sheets, but they make all the difference in the world with pulling the play field in and out with no concern of scratching the blades.

This. Buy a set. They're nice and durable, good product.

1 month later
#6211 2 years ago
Quoted from OhYeahPlayer:

Hi! May not be the correct thread but I couldn't find too much else by searching... I'm having an issue on my GOTG pro where I'll get either 0 balls or 2 balls in the shooter lane. For the most part, the game knows and corrects but in some situations it won't (MBs, for example). Anyone else experienced this, or can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Before you go too crazy testing, make sure your balls aren't magnetized. And the owners thread is a great place to post tech questions. Welcome to pinside!!

#6228 2 years ago
Quoted from TCR2020:

First time owner of NIB machine from March 2021 build. Groot mechanism is dead. Mouth is closed and will not open.
Have been in contact with Stern Customer Service but they have not been helpful. They sent a claim to the Service Department. I have not heard anything since then. There is no phone support.
Any advice is appreciated.

If you havnt already, lift the playfield and visually inspect anything mechanical and/or electrical related to groots jaw. I'm not suggesting you start ripping things apart. Just look for obvious problems like wires unplugged, bolts missing, etc. Is there any foam in place from shipping? Etc... Sometimes it's an easy fix.

1 month later
#6302 2 years ago

Awww, man... sorry Cleland. On the bright side, I don't see one damn thing in that update that interests me. I for one will not be updating and keeping my current Cleland code.

#6311 2 years ago
Quoted from OhYeahPlayer:

Ugh, it feels like not a "let's treat existing owners with something" but, "let's force at least everyone playing competitively/on location to update code to have the same code as everyone else (including SIC of course), and we'll get to wipe everyone's mods."
I've been hoping for a GOTG code update for a long time, and when this came out I was.... pretty annoyed? Now I either keep "old" code or wipe out my Cleland audio and PB mods. Ugh. Alas.

No brainer, keep current code. Unless insider connect is a big deal for ya.

3 weeks later
#6331 2 years ago
Quoted from SirOneGlove:

Hi All! Fairly new owner of a lightly used pro model chiming in for the first time. This is my first new generation machine (did have an old EM from '71) and I've been playing it quite a bit. Already gave it a light cleaning and wax so it is good as new.
Anyways, the real reason for my post is let you folks know that my orb drop target was not centered in the playfield hole and it was driving me crazy! I removed the drop target to examine and see if I could make any adjustments and to my surprise there was nothing I could do. I did discover that due to the nature of the design, the spring which pulls the target down also pulls it to the side. It is able to pull it to the side because there is quite some play mounting slot of the target itself.
So what did I do? I decided to redesign the small black "shelf" piece that the drop target rests on in the up position. I designed it to have a guide on the spring side so that the target remained perpendicular to the mounting surface throughout its travel up and down. I then 3D printed my design and now the target is mostly centered in the playfield hole!
I am curious to see if anybody else has this same "problem" that bugged me enough to do something about it and wanted to share it with you all! Pictures and descriptions below.
Here is the drop target shown as it came from Stern which was driving me crazy:
[quoted image]
Here you can see the drop target being pulled on an angle towards the spring:
[quoted image]
Here is the existing shelf piece (left) next to my redesigned piece (right):
[quoted image]
Here is my redesigned shelf piece installed and keeping that target in line:
[quoted image]
Here is a closeup of the new piece:
[quoted image]
Here is the final result - a mostly centered target!:
[quoted image]

My target is straight, but yeah, that would drive me batshit crazy if it were crooked. Very nice fix!!

3 months later
#6412 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Well the good thing about it is when it’s time to ever do something to the play field I can fix it. I’ve done paint n body work for over 30 years I’ll make it slick as glass n lay down a clear coat that is tough as nails.

Eventually, you'll get enough dimples that the playfield looks nice and uniform

7 months later
#7241 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Ok dumb question. Im going to powder coat my pro legs, lockdown, and side rails. How do I get the metal plate off the lockdown and back on nicely? What do I need?
Also anyone have color suggestions for Gotg?

I drilled the rivets out of mine, then picked up some very small stainless steel torx screws from the hardware store to put back on. The screws actually look pretty sharp. Color is illusion blueberry from Prismatic Powders. Coating was done locally. Sorry for the low quality pic. It's all I had in my phone atm....

Screenshot_20221121-163341_Brave (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221121-163341_Brave (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#7440 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelTigers:

Do the LED's on the bigger Milano like this one here. I'm pleased with the results! If you don't have time to create your own LED circuit, you can source pre-made led looms ready to rock! I do like the fact with a little drilling and slight cutting I was able to get the LEDs to come right out the main plasma drives (engines) under the main wing. Everything is tucked inside the diecast for a nice super clean factory look with only one wire loom coming out of belly of the fuselage. The LED I put together was a 3mm dome and has a 5-12v dc operating range. I'm using a 472nm blue color. Next I'm gonna seal the inside cavity and wire leads inside a bath of hot wax. Check it out, new for 2023... [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's pretty sweet! Where did you find the larger Milano?

2 weeks later
#7560 1 year ago

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I'm mentioning it again. The GOTG Holiday special streaming on Disney+ is pretty awesome! The first few minutes are animated and a bit "cringy", but I promise, it gets really funny and good. You just have to make it through the first 10 minutes or so. After that, its live action with original actors and pretty great stuff! My whole family enjoyed it thoroughly.

2 weeks later
#7639 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

All good mate, happy to help out . Hopefully AMD will have one in stock.
That is the most common issue for Stern node boards, the voltage reducing chip blows and takes a couple of diodes with it. Have a great night..

Asking out of ignorance and curiosity here. Are you referring to the same AMD that maker computer processors? They're a source for Stern node boards?

#7641 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Amusement Machine Distributors. The Aussie distro.

Ahhhhhh, thank you. That makes MUCH more sense

2 weeks later
#7750 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Each node board has two network connector jacks. One is used as an input to the board, and the other is an output to the next board. On the last node board in the chain, there is no place for the output jack to connect to, so they put a terminator in that last jack. It looks like a short network cable with shrink wrap covering the 2 inches of wire. It’s important for the terminator to be working to keep the chain communication across all boards. Since you have the original Green node boards, and if you confirm that the terminator is properly installed in the node board near the left flipper, try reseating all of the network cables starting in the back box and then under the playfield. It looks like all three driver node boards are offline, so that feels like a network cabling issue with the first cpu board cable, or the terminator at the end.

Interesting! I learned something new today!!

2 weeks later
#7837 1 year ago

Question.... I have an early build GoTG pro model. Not sure what code version, but it came with Cleland sound package installed. I'm wanting to possibly buy the insider connect retrofit kit for it. If I install that, and update to the latest code, will I lose the Cleland sound? If so, can the Cleland sound be installed on the newest code? Thanks!

#7853 1 year ago

I'm trying to take my Guardians Pro back to stock everything temporarily so I can add insider connect, and update to 1.11. Currently has no insider, has 1.07 code, and Cleland sound. Am I correct in thinking if I update to 1.11 via USB, my Cleland SD card will have to be swapped out? I don't have the original. Game came to me w Cleland already installed. Yes, I plan on going back to Cleland once 1.11 is available. Question cross posted in the sound mod thread already. Thanks!

#7856 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

If you update to Factory code 1.11 from USB, it will overwrite the SDCARD regardless of what existing code it's running. Then you will have a factory 1.11 machine. In the future, if a custom code is made available, that can be swapped in by replacing the (now) factory 1.11 sdcard with a custom 1.11AV card.

Ahhhhh!!! Awesome!! That makes this sooo much easier. Thank you both!!! I've done USB updates plenty of times (on other Stern machines), but never messed with the SD.

Quoted from doublestack:

You can just leave the sd card you have in the game and update it.

1 month later
#7894 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Was far behind on the thread and finally caught up.
Stranger Things has always been my #1 but GOTG has been getting the majority of my time lately. Game is perfect!
I have the pro with the silhouette chopper, but I don’t like it because it’s right beside my TWD topper and it’s silhouette as well. I’m gonna get that tape above the machine.
I have reached cherry bomb a few times but nothing further. Rocket shot is TIGHT!
Still trying to figure out if I go left side or right side first but it’s usually left side.
I did find something interesting show up on my playfield. Anyone know where it’s from??[quoted image]

That's a spotlight bulb retainer Clip. Check your spotlights and make sure they are all secure. Not sure how that would have come loose unless a spotlight screw backed out.

1 month later
#7970 11 months ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I've installed several lollipop rails in the past, but it's been awhile. Did you need to bring the backbox forward or detach the hinge plate from the backbox in order to pass the last bolt through up by the bottom of the head? I seem to remember that hinge plate being in the way. Also, if anyone is installing these for the first time, the three screw holes around the bottom edge by the flipper buttons are optional. They're not needed if you don't want to put wood screws in your cabinet.

I'll also add that the lollipop rails I've been getting from Pinballlife.com lately don't even have the three screw holes around the flipper area. Looks much cleaner and you're right, they're unnecessary.

2 months later
#8094 9 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Looking for the black armor from stern, anyone have any leads on a set?

Just some standard black Stern armor? Pinballlife.com has that stuff in stock. Only pricey pieces are the speaker panel and lockdown bar. Rails, legs, and hinges are cheap. I keep a spare set for powder coating purposes.

#8100 9 months ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

The sound upgrade is so important. Finally installed it this last weekend!

Is the Cleland code finally available for the latest game code?? 1.09 I think??

#8110 9 months ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

He has a 1.09 version out but the latest code is 1.12 and there are still some codec issues they haven't worked out in Pinball Browser.

That's right... 1.12 is currently code. And still no alternative audio then. Dammit

1 month later
#8126 8 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Question for those with the licensed Stern armor?
I found a set and it was delivered with no foil backing over the laser cut areas. I’ve seen photos where it look like it should have gold foil.
Can anyone verify?

Gold is standard. It's a reflective piece of poster board

#8128 8 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Not sure why mine didn’t come with any. Black armor no gold reflective piece.
Any idea where I can buy some?

Amazon has multicolor packs dirt cheap. Also, it may not be gold (but i think it is)... I thought I was posting in the Godzilla thread

#8130 8 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If anyone has a photo to identify color that would be great!

Here ya go. From pinballlife.com

https://www.pinballlife.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-officially-licensed-custom-side-armor-set.html

2 weeks later
#8137 7 months ago

I was under the impression that there was no alternate audio package that was working correctly with the latest code (yet). Am I mistaken?

2 weeks later
#8174 7 months ago
Quoted from ashmath82:

I currently have a bond pro and I am trying to pick between a guardians pro and avengers pro….is one way better than the other?

I'd go with Guardians. Bond code is getting crazy deep. AiQ is crazy deep. Also, both Bond and AiQ have upper left flippers with side shots. Guardians is a nice change of pace and geometry.

4 weeks later
#8202 6 months ago

Could this be a hint at a code update with some sort of challenge mode? Or is Stern just posting more random things on FB?

Screenshot_20231024_110946_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231024_110946_Facebook (resized).jpg

3 months later
#8378 85 days ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

oh boy... guess I better start checking the screws on mine.
Build date 9/22
thanks!

Mine is an early build and the same screws fell out. Apparently it's not uncommon for that orb assembly to shed a few pieces of hardware

3 weeks later
#8408 59 days ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

Anybody out there have any luck with Cleland 1.11 code for GOTG?
I just installed insider connect and when I install the 1.11 Cleveland code it gets to initializing screen and then reboots initializes reboots, rinse repeat.
When I put in the 1.13 stock code it works just fine.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade, but I gave up on the custom code long ago. It was wonderful, but I'm an Insider Connected junkie and lost my modded code to add insider. Since then, with the Stern updates, it seems no one has an alternative code available that works. YET. I'd love to go back to Cleland code, but if Stern keeps releasing updates every so often, it's a losing battle.

1 week later
#8430 49 days ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Groots mouth no longer works?
Test fail.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Bad motor perhaps? It's not uncommon unfortunately.

1 week later
#8451 36 days ago

So, is there officially Cleland code that is verified to work on 1.13 yet? My 16 year old daughter turned on the machine last night (first time in months), hit start, and heard the stock Stern music. She looked at me and said "still ?!, what's the point in playing?" She turned the machine off and went back upstairs. A testimony as to how bad the Stern audio package is I need my Cleland code back asap!

#8458 36 days ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

So, is there officially Cleland code that is verified to work on 1.13 yet? My 16 year old daughter turned on the machine last night (first time in months), hit start, and heard the stock Stern music. She looked at me and said "still ?!, what's the point in playing?" She turned the machine off and went back upstairs. A testimony as to how bad the Stern audio package is I need my Cleland code back asap!

So, that's a no then?

#8460 35 days ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Private message Cleland. He's very responsive.
I'm liking Vol.1 Cleland best so far.

Does it work on 1.13?

#8470 35 days ago

Sooooo, would some kind Pinsider like to help out a fellow GoTG owner, and burn me a copy of 1.11 with Cleland onto an appropriate SD card and mail it to me? I'd pay you of course. There's no way I can burn it myself. Computers hate me and I hate them. PM me if so.

#8473 35 days ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

I'd be glad to help you out. Shoot me a PM tomorrow so I can get your shipping info.

Awesome! Thanks! I see in your post above you said you haven't installed his 1.11 yourself yet. Good time to kill two birds with one stone

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
$ 25.00
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coolcatpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread?tu=coolcatpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.