IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0020 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240315_180852874 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315-071752 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #22 Gold Side Rail option picture Posted by Blacksun (6 years ago)

Post #2129 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement fix. Posted by MapleSyrup (5 years ago)

Post #2448 MOD: hd60609 sign mod Posted by bobukcat (5 years ago)

Post #4883 TECH: PLAYFIELD Magnet grab improvement tips Posted by mcvetyty (3 years ago)

Post #5401 TECH: PLAYFIELD Groot mouth replacement motor information. Posted by Markharris2000 (2 years ago)

Post #6642 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner add-on mod for GOTG Pro Posted by aaron6920 (1 year ago)

Post #6643 MOD: PLAYFIELD Spinner Mod Tip for cutting the plastic Posted by Spiderpin (1 year ago)

Post #6773 TECH: PLAYFIELD Orb drop target issue fix - with video Posted by mcvetyty (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

252 posts in this topic match your search for posts by bobukcat. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1362 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Well I love pinball and have bought all Stern NIB since 2012. Didn't love WWE, but it was no where as bad as GOTG. All the rest I gave solid 6.7 to 9 on reviews. This specific game is just horrible. It's so bad that I will never buy another Lonnie coded game ever.

Okay, you just lost all credibility with me by claiming it's worse than WWE!

#1363 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I would have to say thanks to cleland and all his hard work on his V .87 code mod has saved this game and brought new life to it.

Amen to that!

#1406 6 years ago

Had my first stuck ball last night, took me a while to find it but I knew one had bounced off the apron HARD when it was drilled by another ball from the Rocket shot.

Iseeyou (resized).jpgIseeyou (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Hello everyone!
I got some good play time on GOTG Pro and Premium at TPF, and I really like it! And with the sound mod that's out, my one gripe has been addressed.
I'm usually a Premium guy, but the Pro seems to do everything I need it to. The main Groot toy is exactly the same on both. The Premium arms are cool at first glace, but really just block the view. All have plastic ramps. The all RGB insert lights would be great, but as a previous Star Trek Premium owner, I know Stern doesn't do as much with them as they could.
Anyone else finding the Pro to be solid?

Unless you really plan on keeping the game a very long time I don't think the additional features for the Premium are worth it. I love full RGB but not willing to pony up that much extra $$ for it. The only other feature I know of is that the orb opens and closes on the Prem / LE and the artwork is different. For most titles I consider I lean premium or LE but for GOTG, which I don't think I'll keep forever, the Pro seemed like a better choice.

EDIT: I forgot the additional spinning magnets and the moving (recoil) Rocket figure.

EDIT x2: How did I forget the two spinners?? Shit, maybe the premium is worth it!

#1445 6 years ago

Interesting bug occurred the other day when I started to play, had to power cycle to resolve it.

videobug (resized).pngvideobug (resized).png

EDIT: Code version 0.87 and that was a gif file when I uploaded it.

#1448 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I saw that same bug with earlier code. What version are you running?

Yeah, I should have included that in my post - it's the latest available 0.87.

#1450 6 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

This game is a turt
Left flipper keeps dying all over now
Any known fix ?
Anyone ever send a game back to Stern that’s still under warranty ?

Do you mean the flipper gets weak? If so it sounds like they've identified a code problem related to the spike bus on all Lonnie's games and they are working on a fix. I'm hoping we see that sooner rather than later!

#1454 6 years ago
Quoted from AudioHaven:

Can't wait for the code from TPF to be released - it looks SO much better!

Agreed, the Upgrade will finally be worth shooting for. I hope they do some additional music and audio cues too so that cleland can work some further magic on it. I'm really enjoying it on the .87 code so far, fun and challenging too.

#1466 6 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Been doing pinball for 15 years and sure know a thing or two but like the next poster said
It’s Nothing mechanical
And why should it be my responsibility to solve it. Of course I contacted my distr & stern but nothing to solve it
So I have a unplayable game that cost $7k
I should be able to return this or go with a Lemon law maybe

It sounds like your game is having much worse problems than most others if it is unplayable. I've played about 6 different GOTGs and have had a pro for about two weeks, with all of them the problem is pretty random and more frustrating than crippling. I certainly want to see them fix it ASAP but at least it sounds like they know what the problem is and are working on it. If your game is that much worse I would also suggest you call them and try to get resolution but I wouldn't expect them to take the game back, it just doesn't happen in pinball.

#1482 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Will be ordering the Pro this week!
Stern's flyer says the Pops are RGB on the Pro, but the matrix says no.
I've never bothered to check when I played it at Texas. Are the Pro's pops RGB?

Negative, they are not RGB on the Pro.

#1537 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

How do you get Cherry Bomb I'm struggling.

I believe it's by finishing three (maybe four) modes and then hitting the mode select scoop. I played a few games with the new code tonight and the first one I got to the new MB mode. Lots of fun and timed mode, the game really plays differently now, for sure.

#1569 6 years ago

Confirmed that the weird "dancing" 1234567890 scores for players 2-4 bug still exists in .90. The modes are definitely easier to complete in general and Cherry Bomb multi-ball is therefore pretty achievable as well, the Super Jackpot in that mode is huge (I had something like 104M just for that). As others have reported there is a bug that it doesn't recognize a ball is in the scoop when CB multi-ball ends and requires a ball search to clear it out. I love that the Upgrade shot is now actually worth shooting for inside modes and that there is more variety in the shot selection required. One thing I found weird is that in the Yaka Arrow mode, which is now a "pops centric" mode counts each shot to the pops as a single shot, when I think of a pops centric mode I think of modes where you need a certain number of actual pop bumper hits (save Timmy in JP comes to mind), but here it's really more of a outer loop mode because that's what you really have to hit to get to the pops unless you're lucky enough to sneak one through between groot and the back of the org. This is still a pretty hard mode to complete because of the short timer and how long the ball tends to stay in the pops once there.

Edit: I noticed that Yaka Arrow 2 is a more traditional # of pops mode.

#1597 6 years ago

I annihilated my previous high scores during a game last night. Most of these points came from an Orb Super Jackpot with rocket scoring and the orb shot double multipled as well as several other shots multiplied. Had already completed Cherry Bomb and Groot MB plus 6 modes completed. Really enjoying this game right now. Factory settings except for mode start at the scoop, not at ball launch.

20180331_161101 (resized).jpg20180331_161101 (resized).jpg

#1608 6 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

I've seen a bug with Quills Quest. Sometimes it ends when only one ball drains and there's time left on the clock.

I don't know if this is a bug or by design but it definitely ends every time you drain one ball after the ball save timer for the mode expires. If you then drain your other ball you re-start the mode at ball launch but it's still just one ball and then allows Groot locks / MB to be achieved.

Edit: If you shoot the scoop for mode selection after losing your first ball and ending Quill's Quest, selecting Quill's again will also put you in single ball play with Groot and Orb locks / MB available.

#1618 6 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

yes, I feel the same way. It's also really hard to tell when level 2 starts and level 1 is complete. What's the motivation do to any level 2 modes instead of starting a new mode?

I think the Level 2 shots are more like icing on the cake as opposed to what you would prefer to hit. For example if the the ramps are lit for points and the ball is cradled on the right flipper the left ramp is now worth shooting to get it to the left flipper to attempt a scoop shot as opposed to just post-passing it. So far that's the way I'm treating them.

#1633 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

The ball bounces off the wire form and/or something else (post, target) in that area and that is how it ends up lodged in between the plastic and the wire form. Lifting the wire form did not help at all. Yes, there will be plenty of broken plastics, we have already broken the orb plastic. (Stern replaced it). We are going to make a piece of PETG that covers that area until there is a fix available.

I have the plastic protector installed and I've not had a ball get stuck in there yet. I have had one end up really stuck under the bottom of the left ramp and on top of a plastic twice. It's a major pain to get it out of there too, may have to try to attach something to the nut that holds the plastic down to prevent it but I that's going to require removing the lower left ramp so it might be a while before I get around to it.

#1644 6 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

I'm pretty sure I've seen it continue with one ball play even after the ball save timer expires. But sometimes it doesn't. So I'm not sure which way is the intended way. Maybe it has something to do with hitting upgrade or not?

I've purposely played Quill's often to observe behavior and I've yet to see it continue after draining to one ball, certainly possible there is a bug that randomly does it but I've not seen it yet. If the mode times out with one ball and you hit the scoop and choose Q.Q. again it will restart as a single ball MB. I thought it would be a more lucrative mode being two ball multiball but it requires a lot of shots to complete and I'm not a control player in MB so I probably wouldn't choose it in an effort to get to Cherry Bomb unless I had Groot MB ready to start.

#1656 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

where does one get mylar>? btw

I bought mine from pinrestore.com but I have a lot of it and I'm in Cincy too, PM me if you want and I can figure out how to get some to you. The shooter lane on mine is chipped too but it was that way when I got it so hopefully the mylar prevents it from getting worse.

#1669 6 years ago
Quoted from Bobby:

GOTG Premium - on both .87 and now .90, I get ball stuck behind single drop target in Orb. Does ball search, but never drops that target to release ball. Anyone have this? Find a fix? Like the game but this issue generally is only cured by taking glass off or turn game off/on. Thanks! Bob

Will the target drop in coil test mode? May have a broken wire to the coil or something simple like that?

#1674 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I don’t remember those toy thingys in the movie. Can anyone fill me in?

They are supposed to be like the little things Yandou asks the Broker about in at about 45 seconds in this video:

1 week later
#1733 6 years ago
Quoted from Hawks:

Full colour changing inserts looks amazing
Only Star Trek Premium can rival it

From Stern maybe, because JJP's full RGB is still the benchmark with regards to lightshows IMO.

#1739 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

So if you guys dont know i do custom powdercoat and was thinking of doing a custom GOTG set in a deep Purple metallic and gold hex pattern set. Pattern will be on lockbar hinges, rails etc. Mocking up some designs and lay out wanted your guys feedback. Here is an example of my blood splatter design. Final prodcut will be 100% powdercoat. Decals are for layout purposes only

I'm not crazy about the blood splatter with regards to GOTG but I do like the idea of the purple / hex pattern. Another idea for the lockbar may be to use the orange from the sunburst, or whatever it is that circles the GOTGs on the translite / movie posters.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1741 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

The blood splatter is just to show you what i mean by putting patterns in powdercoat

Ah, I misunderstood you. I've seen your work in your thread (and others) here so I know you do awesome stuff.

#1754 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a GotG. What are the things I need to know/do on day 1 if I go through with it? Going to put up stargate for sale this weekend.

I bought a Pro very lightly used because it was a good price and I wanted something new in the lineup, I wasn't really "sold" on the game at all. Since then the new code and especially cleland 's sound package have transformed it and I think it's an absolute blast. You can play fast and furious and just go for MBs (Orb is still too points heavy IMO) or play more in control and go for mode completion / Cherry Bomb MB / Wizard mode and both are very enjoyable, it has really, really grown on me and not just because it's in my house. I would recommend three things; increase the slope to at least 7 degrees, change the setting so you have to start modes at the scoop, not at the start of a ball and definitely install the ROM from cleland so you have actual clips from the movie and not just the voice actors (some of which are actually pretty well done). Oh, and install the plastic protector set and a bit of mylar in the shooter lane to protect the clear from chipping.

#1758 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Thanks for the info!! Which plastic protector set?

Pinball Life has them.

#1764 5 years ago

I picked up GOTG Pro and Houdini within a month of so, they play so differently it's hard to contrast them. I really like them both and would be hard pressed to pick one over the other, GOTG has the price advantage (on the Pro at least) but Houdini feels like it's built better and the playfield clear looks way better. If you don't like the GOTG movies I'd suggest Houdini but unless you find someone selling theirs or their spot in line you'll be waiting for a while, don't really care for BM66 especially at those prices.

#1783 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

So, put quite a few games on it with the new code.
Anyone else notice the magnet isn't grabbing the ball when being released out of the Orb? It's still very active during the Orb Multi-Ball, but it's not grabbing it upon release anymore.

Not on my Pro, magnet action seems about the same and I even got a SDTM out of it (I probably could have saved by nudging but I didn't) earlier on just a few games played.

For the rules changes so far, not being able to use a Hadron to set your Orb MB Jackpot if you miss it with the first shot is a big difference, not sure if I like it or not yet. Orb MB definitely seems to be lower scoring now which is appropriate but being used to huge points from it I'll have to adjust. I do like that the 2nd level of completed modes continue until you drain or complete then, nice addition!

One potential bug I noticed - I have the mode select timer turned off but I hit the scoop with it lit and thought I had time to grab a quick drink, instead it shot the ball out while I was across the room.

#1799 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Confirmed again this morning, the magnet isn't activating when it drops out of the Orb. No hard grab, no soft push. It did do a hard grab during Groot multi-ball. It also is active during the Orb Multi-Ball, but not when the ball is dropped out of the Orb lock.
This change coincided with the code update. It has definitely changed how the magnet is working on my Pro.

Weird as mine has definitely not changed. Maybe try a factory reset (even though that is essentially done when loading new code)?

#1809 5 years ago
Quoted from Hawks:

Does Groot do the whole “I am Groot”during MB yet
I thought I seen it on an early Stern preview video for GOTG

I suspect we will never see this unless they change the rules for Groot MB significantly because as it is hitting him once opens his mouth, hitting that locks a ball and starts 2x jackpot for 30 seconds (if you put two in it spits them both out), repeat those steps and it's 3X for 30 seconds. If he does the whole "I am Groot" movement how does it reconcile shots into the mouth during that? I don't believe they can (reliably) control how many balls it shoots out, it is all or nothing though sometimes one does not get ejected with the rest when there are more than two.

#1812 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Is there not ever a time where balls are locked and prior to them going into Groot to begin MB (with the balls locked in Groot) they could add the “I am Groot” choreography??

Yeah, they could replace the big jail battle lead-in that now runs (too long IMO) and have it do it then, maybe with the balls shooting out when he's yelling GRRROOOOOTTTTT! I like that idea actually.

#1826 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Awesome man thank you, I have never been so on the fence with a game like GOTG I keep going to pull the trigger on one and then back out before making the call.
Who has taken over programming now? I keep seeing posts from people saying someone has taken over on GOTG since the rules did a complete 180!?

I assume that Lonnie still has final say and is the actual coder, the guy that was at TPF previewing the code (I am terrible at remembering names but it's on more than one post somewhere) said he is "helping re-write the rules", he never said he was no the programmer on the game.

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I downloaded the 0.95 file this morning.
Copied the two files to USB- same as always, took a while to download to USB
Just loaded onto my LE.. the update took about a minute.. that’s my concern!
The other updates took at least 5-7 minutes.
Is this update just small amount of code? Or did the game miss something? Power cycled the game and boots with 0.95 showing.

Did you choose full or partial update when you installed it? I don't really know anything about updates to Spike games and just got my only one recently, the instructions in the readme for the code release don't specify which one you should use. I picked full update and it took at least 5 minutes, probably closer to 10 if I had to guess but if yours shows .95 then it sounds like it worked and maybe only a partial was required??

#1844 5 years ago
Quoted from cartman5579:

Hello all, new here! Been following this thread for a while now and tried really hard not to buy, but with everyone raving about the new code lately I bit the bullet and grabbed an LE. Since it will be a couple weeks till it’s delivered, and that it’s my first and will be my only pin, I would like to grab all the mods for it that are needed now. I understand that the ULEK protectors won’t work on the LE? So now I’m planning on Ronan’s Hammer, Do not use Gantry sign, but other then that I know nothing about protecting the playfield or anything else. If anyone has some advice, I’d appreciate it so I can get some stuff on order. I’d like to get the topper now too since they made use of it finally. I’d like to get the Cleland sound mod, but I don’t completely understand if I can add it on top of the .95 code or not. Anyways, glad to be here and I’ll try to keep updating here as I get things in place. Very excited to get my own pin finally!

Plastic protectors (I believe there is a set specifically for the LE) and some mylar for the shooter lane are the most important IMO. You'll have to wait for cleland to release a .95 version of his must-have code for this game but it's still a blast on stock code. Not a mod but I suggest changing the settings to require starting a mode at the scoop, makes it more challenging and entertaining IMO.

#1851 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Get the cliffy protector for the shooter lane.

I saw that Pinball life now has an "official" scoop and shooter lane protector. The latter does not protect the clear in the shooter lane though so I still recommend a small piece of mylar there to prevent chipping.

#1853 5 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I also tried the reset a couple times- but no change in the way the magnet is now affecting the ball.

Try loading the "old" .90 or .87 code and see if it returns to it's former state?

#1856 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I did a full upgrade from 0.90 to 0.95, with verify turned on. There’s a definite, disappointing change in the magnet’s behavior in 0.95. It only influences the ball slightly when it comes out. It doesn’t grab it any more. The magnet may as well not be there any more. This definitely needs a setting, like with kickout strength.

For you and Sinestro that are experiencing this, are you talking about when you collect the first two orbs or when you release a ball from the Orb shot during Orb MB? I just tested my pro multiple times and it grabs and flings the hell out of it during the first two captures but not much / at all during Orb MB. I honestly don't remember if it's always been that way during MB or if it has changed.

#1859 5 years ago

Not that you need or asked for it but here is a short video of the magnet action on my Pro running .95.

3 weeks later
#2110 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Nasty bug where the bonuses are being rolled over to the next player. Guy had a video on Facebook about it.
I bet Stern patches that quickly.

Yeah, that's a pretty big one but just make sure you're player four and you should be good to go!

#2116 5 years ago

Deleted.

#2180 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You don’t get any points for it, but your mode is immediately upgraded. That’s worth more than a few million to me.

I have mine set to require two shots before Upgrade is lit and disabled choose mission at launch, sounds like others are leaving theirs at default for those settings?

#2184 5 years ago

Has anyone else noticed a bug where if you drain the last ball on a MB out the right outlane, with ball save lit but the Groot Ballsave (Star Lord's eye's) is flashing but almost done it doesn't award either ball save? I have the Pro and have seen it three times. It happens when I have a single ball locked in Groot's mouth and drain the rest, he shoots that ball out and it ends up in the right outlane, it appears to ignore the fact the ball save is lit on the outlane.

#2189 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackpotjared:

Yes this has happened many times on my Pro, I also still experience the bug where my right ball saver is lit, and mystery award says light ball saver

Glad it's not just me! Does Stern have a twitter or e-mail account we can use to report software bugs like JJP does?

#2190 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

It has the same/very similar layout to Metallica, but plays completely differently. I don't really see any comparison whatsoever with Iron Maiden?

I agree with this completely, there are enough differences that they really don't play the same. I like MET and think GOTG is one of the better new Stern's in a while. The callouts are not from the movies but cleland has fixed that and added more songs for us with his awesome sound replacement rom (there is a thread all about it with instructions to download and install), if you don't go that route most of the factory callouts are really not that bad. I still suggest using his build though.

#2205 5 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Just had my GOTG Premium delivered this afternoon.
My clan is loving the pin.
Much to learn about the game but first impressions are really positive.
Quick question: on Groot multi-ball when first activated and the balls shoot out of Groot’s mouth, most of the balls seem to fire straight down the middle.
Is this normal? Is there a setting or adjustment that can alter their path a bit?
Overall, the pin is a blast and looking forward to putting some serious time on it.

The ORB magnet should divert them enough to keep them from all going SDTM, if that's not happening how is the the magnet catching the orb exits on your game? Maybe you have the same loose magnet core that others have reported??

1 week later
#2305 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Yes, mode shots are still active during Groot and Orb MBs. As for "easiest" modes, I like to go with Antiquities and Yaka. Third and fourth modes vary depending on how the others go. I like to include Sanctuary because it's short. But if it times out, all progress is lost. So it's riskier. Knowhere and Pod are good because once you upgrade, all of the shots are lit. That makes it easier to finish, especially if you take them into a MB. Sibling is so-so. I put off Kyln and Quill until after CBMB. Don't know if that helps, but it's how I attack the game.

Good advice, I almost always start with Knowhere or Yaka but while sometimes start Kylin when I have Groot MB ready to go then I try like hell to hit that Rocket shot before the ball save expires! The game is a lot of fun and I like that sometimes I can really get in a great groove and put up big points and others it kicks my ass repeatedly, makes for a better home game.

#2339 5 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

A few of you said you were interested. I have a couple right now in light blue as I thought this would be the winner. I actually preferred the light green but I will have to have some more of these made.
I can get you a price for just the transparent piece and the bottom light guard (black looks best), if you already have your own matrix parts, light strip and screws (the screws need to be longer for the bottom as it's now thicker than stock).
I can also get an all included price, if you want me to send you everything you need. This will just take a little longer and cost a little more as I have to order parts from Comet.
Any preferences? PM me or post...

Light Green all inclusive (since I'm not planning any Comet purchases anytime soon) would be my preference, looks good.

#2360 5 years ago
Quoted from Dad2Five:

My kids have totally ignored the xbox since it got here -- worth every penny.

#2367 5 years ago

Anyone else seeing a bug at Groot MB mode start where you can't double-flipper cancel / shorten the video and it even goes into ball search before launching the locked balls from Groot? I've seen it multiple times now, always when there is a mode running and it eats up 15-25 seconds of mode timer in doing so. This is a Pro running 1.01 code.

#2414 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Not yet. I have it written to a SD card, but I want to spend some time with Stern's code so I can really tell the difference in what cleland did.

Might as well wait until he gets 1.0.2 modded now. Hopefully he can just run the script on it since it's mainly just bug fixes.

#2443 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

To get to Cherry Bomb MB, you need to complete 4 modes right? (As opposed to just starting four modes)

Correct, and they need to be completed, not just half-way which qualifies them for Immolation Initiative. I.E. the inserts have to be solid and not blinking.

#2448 5 years ago

Received and installed hd60609 's scoop sign mod yesterday, pretty easy install and really like the way it looks, particularly the see-through aspect of it. Somehow makes the LEDs look brighter / more noticeable when flashing too. Nice job!

ScoopPlasticNew (resized).jpgScoopPlasticNew (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2726 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

anybody else have stress fractures all over their ramp support tabs?
my game has been on location for maybe 7 months and I have 4 tabs that have completely broken off and the rest have really bad stress fractures.
Was looking at other games with plastic ramps and even though there are a few stress fractures it's nothing like this game. Was thinking maybe it was due to how fast the ball was traveling and the resistance met along the way (with all the curves)?
Think I'm going to start adding a washer & rubber washer underneath the ramp supports for games that have plastic ramps, still crazy since it relatively new. I always expect this when the game is like 5-10 years old but, 7 months is a little fast to be replacing ramps...right?

Wow, that does seem extreme. Any idea how many games is has on it?

1 week later
#2770 5 years ago

I thought this was an appropriate custom message for the game.

#2777 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Yes, there is a setting that enables you to choose your mission before the plunge. It is on by default.

That setting shouldn't auto-start a mode though, if it's set to off you have to hit the scoop to start a mission. I had my game setup that way for a while but my wife did not like it so now it's back to letting you choose before you launch.

2 weeks later
#2839 5 years ago
Quoted from Melhadmj:

I generally wait on Sanctuary before a mb too. Too risky for me with all those stand up shots and no control back to flipper, not to mention no save progress. I always focus on fully completing 4 modes to reach CB. Wondering if anyone focuses on 50% of all modes to reach Imolation..I’ve yet to get there.

I had a great game last week and after completing Cherry Bomb MB focused on and got to Immolation, great fun! I need to spend more time on this game and see how close to Save Xandar I can get.

3 weeks later
#2933 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

Just got done playing and got over 5 billion. Got Cherry Bomb Multiball and Immolation Initiative multiball. Got over 4 billion just on Immolation. Kinda funny though since I have never broke a billion ever. Best before this was 600 million. Didn't have my phone to take a picture. Will have to do that later. Time for a beer

Pics or it didn't happen, LOL! Nice game! My best game is about 1.5B and I killed Cherry Bomb MB on that one, 2nd best is under a billion and I got to II and CB on it but tanked both of them. It can be a butt-kicker but can also rack up points fast with multipliers and multi-balls if you get on a roll.

2 weeks later
#2981 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

thinking about joining the club folks, Pro or Premium?

I think this is one Stern where the Pro is sufficient as it's not lacking any major playfield feature other than the spinner. Whichever you get play it for a little while on the factory image and then install cleland sound mods and you'll REALLY enjoy it!

1 month later
#3046 5 years ago
Quoted from officeralmond:

so i have been trying to do the upgrade to the actors real voices with the Clevelnd code. I cannot get it to work to save my life. My GOTG came with the code 1.04 so could that be an issue? Every time I try to flash the SD card (and I do it exactly correct)when I install it into my game and boot up all it does is just flashes the Stern logo on the screen and says restarting. And it never loads or boots. Anyone had this happen. This game would be perfect with the real voices.

I hate to be the one to say it but you must be doing something wrong. I've flashed all the versions of cleland code as the game has been updated and it has worked every time. What application are you using to burn the image and are you on PC or MAC?

Edit: I'd also add that you might be better off posting this in the thread dedicated to @cleland's ROMs.

1 week later
#3087 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Positive:

Having an issue I hope you all can help with. My GOTG is set to free-play, but most of the time when I hit Start or the Action button to start a new game, it immediately has a mode selected and I have 2,040 pts. Switch testing seems ok.
Any ideas?

Sounds like a similar problem to what Tungsten78 reported and was resolved by doing a full update of the code. Did this happen after a code update you did?

#3139 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

No idea what Cleland sounds are? .

Jane, you ignorant slut! I'm just kidding and hope you get the reference but if you own the game and haven't installed @cleland`s sound mod you are really missing out.

#3158 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

There is another video I uploaded where I completed both II & SX for over 8Bil (but the recording is even worse quality)

Damn, my high score is just shy of 5B and that was with completing II and SX, though at the time I couldn't remember the rules for SX so I wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to be doing.

1 month later
#3252 5 years ago
Quoted from mima:

In 106 (presumably before that to) while holding the left flipper button and the hadron enforcer when not in play a timer appears on the screen and this "competition mode ready press start now". What does it mean, do, and so forth?

That should be the same as tournament mode which you can enable the same way on WPC games. It should normalize random awards, extra balls, etc. for tournament play for that game.

3 weeks later
#3325 5 years ago
Quoted from lsuarch722:

Ran into a little issue yesterday with my left flipper. It's getting stuck in the up position. I did a thread search but couldn't find anything. When I tap the right flipper button, it will fall back down. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Sounds like a pretty typical mechanical issue of some sort and activating the right one creates enough vibration to pull it down. Could be a broken / loose return spring, a loose screw(s) on the coil mounting bracket, broken link, etc. Just have to pull the balls out, lift the playfield and have a look at what is causing it not to move freely.

1 week later
#3383 5 years ago
Quoted from lsuarch722:

Kind of random issue yesterday. I noticed two completely loose silver screws (beveled head) on the playfield just behind the Orb (in front of the green pop bumper) just laying there. I inspected the entire area but for the life of me cant see where these worked themselves out of. Anyone else have this happen? I have a pro and nothing seems to be loose or malfunctioning. Thanks for any help!

A picture of the screws might help us identify the likely source.

#3386 5 years ago
Quoted from lsuarch722:

Figured that was coming. Here ya go![quoted image]

Check the Gamora ramp where the two plastic pieces are joined together with the metal bridge. Not sure how they would get out and down to the pop bumper but that's the only place I can think of that two screws like that would be on the part of the game.

EDIT: Actually they are probably off the pop bumper caps, I forgot that these games use those types of screws for that purpose.

#3393 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Is there any way to make the audio clips and call outs louder, without turning up all volume? I’m using cleland on mine and the dialogue clips are significantly quieter than the music and machine noises.

Did you try this suggestion from the man cleland himself: Balanced out many of the call outs sounds. I still recommend going into the game settings and setting Speech attenuation to somewhere between -15 to -25.

#3436 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Anybody here upgrade from a pro to premium?
I'm considering it. Love how the pro shoots and plays. Is it worth it? Do the extra 2 magnets and RGB inserts add much? Do you like or dislike the groot hands?
Thanks
Nick "junky"

Don't forget the spinner!

#3474 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I'm with you. I've said it a lot....haven't ever heard it. What's the specific line? I don't recall hearing an "F" in the sanctuary scene from the movie.

That's because there isn't one in there, I'm running the Cleland code and have never heard anything that sounds like an F-Bomb at all.

#3479 5 years ago
Quoted from Oldtimer20:

Okay it must be a glitch...In Sanctuary mode the dialogue on my machine randomly says two things. Almost always during the first or first few games I play starting with Sanctuary I hear the following: "They call me terrorist. Radical. Zealot. Because I obey the ancient laws of my people the Kree -[pause]- Because I do not f**king feel your people for taking the life of my father and his father and his father before him." Then later it will switch to the original dialogue which says: "They call me terrorist. Radical. Zealot. Because I obey the ancient laws of my people the Kree and punish those who do not. Because I do not forgive your people for taking the life of my father and his father and his father before him." Notice that the first version drops the words "and punish those who do not" Then it must be a glitch that causes the wording "f**king feel your people" vs. "I do not forgive your people". I just listened to it about 15 times and had about 6-8 times where it had the wrong wording and about 5-6 times that it had the normal wording. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I need to download and reinstall this. Can someone help me understand how to download and reinstall this? Again, thanks so much for your help!

Can you try to record and post this for us? I'm at a loss for where that would have come from unless the previous owner created and inserted it but I've no idea where it would have come from. Not to mention that phrasing makes no sense at all, why would he "f'ning feel your people for taking...."

#3492 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

No swearing there at all.
“Because I do not forgive your people for taking the life of my father and his father and his father before him.”

Quoted from cpr9999:

Coin Battery on cpu board in backbox I believe

This is correct, CR1023 IIRC.

#3504 5 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

What is happening here??
Single player game, played through the entire round. Even put up a mediocre highs score.
Has anyone seen this before?

Yes, I think we've all seen it before but if not fixed at least it happens much rarer on the newer code releases, what version are you running?

1 week later
#3551 5 years ago

The Premium / LE certainly has some nice bells and whistles but unlike a lot of Stern Pros GOTG's game play is pretty much identical between them which makes the Pro a good value IMO. As JodyG said a used Pro is one of the best bangs for the buck in the pinball world right now, I got a fantastic deal on a nearly new HUO one last march from a friend who was upgrading to the Premium, still very happy with that purchase over a year later!

2 weeks later
#3612 5 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Why does Rocket have to complete the mode? Isn't it just X number of shots? Maybe you had not hit Groot yet and when you did, you were down to just 1 shot. I'd have to take the glass off to test.

I've never seen it NOT be Rocket to complete the mode but of course I try to avoid that shot until I have to hit it, I think the rulesheet I read said it's always the final shot too but that could be erroneous.

#3621 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

The timers never stop. The mystery run-throughs, and even the upgrade clips, are a serious waste of time. I cancel every extraneous clip just to save a few seconds for each mode.

It does kinda suck, however I think they should keep it that way for Lock animations (cancel-able to save some time) so that you kind have some penalty for going after them during modes. They should pause the timers on Upgrade and Mystery (that Mystery animation can take for ever) in my opinion though.

#3623 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

They can't do that without altering the clips as well. Each mode clip is exactly the same length as the amount of time you get for the mode. If they pause the mode timer, the clip would run out before the timer. That would leave you with nothing left for part of the mode, unless they just restart the clip. Not an impossible problem to fix, but I don't think they are concerned with it.
I'll be surprised if GotG gets any more attention. The rules are pretty good now, and the scoring has been evened out.

How do they handle "add more time" as a mystery award then?

#3629 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

i have never thought "add time" did anything !

Increases the timer for your mode I'm pretty sure, but I'm really not sure I've ever seen it when just in a regular mode either....hmmmm.

3 weeks later
#3671 4 years ago
Quoted from MrPoppins:

Running Cleland code, sound crackling isn't as noticeable if volume is at 1 or 2. If it's 3+ it starts to be noticeable. If it's up at 5-7 when I have people over/music going it's Very noticeable.

[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you set the Speech Attenuation between -15 to -25 per cleland recommendation?

My Groot will always launch 3 balls then the second two if on the second multiball. I'd suggest you might have a mechanical problem and would make sure everything in that mech is tight and properly aligned, make sure it moves freely, etc.

2 weeks later
#3699 4 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

(ripping the spinners helps)

No spinners for us humble pro owners. Agreed that it's a decent plan for the second mode unless you have MB ready and then I prefer one of the longer ones like Knowhere or Pod Chase. I haven't ever tried Sanctuary in MB though, I wonder if that would work out well or not?

#3703 4 years ago
Quoted from shriver187:

Idk about you but all of these mods seem a little overwelming. I
hope all of this is easy to pick up on, especially repairs if need
be.

The only mods you really need to worry about for GOTG is the Cleland sound package which is easy to do if you follow the instructions, and some plastic protectors which are also easy to install. The scoop protector is a worthy investment if you plan to play the game a lot but not really necessary and even some strips of mylar are helpful to prevent chipping or wear.

#3706 4 years ago
Quoted from shriver187:

i did get protectors for rocket and the orb. so scoop protector
and where do the mylar strips go? anything else you suggest?

If you use the scoop protector (it is included on the Prem and LE I think) you don't really need the mylar unless you want to put some down in the shooter lane, again not really necessary to do so. If you don't want to use the metal scoop protector a couple of thin strips of mylar on the edges of the scoop will help protect it against damage from the ball. The scoop is a little easier to hit without the metal protector so some people prefer this but I put the metal one on mine.

No real need to wax a brand-new game before playing it, just clean or replace the balls (the ones Stern puts in are not great anymore), follow setup instructions and get it leveled / pitched correctly, adjust settings (enable free play, extra balls for replay if you want, etc.) to customize it the way you want. Install your plastic protectors and have fun!

#3726 4 years ago
Quoted from shriver187:

Well its fun. Alot of ball drains and lots of post shots.. need to get the shots down and it will be fun. Highest score i got was like 140mil. Fixed the orb drop target before i started. Other than that she was smooth right out of the box.

Stick with it and you'll find the shots. It looks pretty open but the Gamora and Nebula ramps are both much harder than they look

#3728 4 years ago
Quoted from shriver187:

yes they are. i was thinking oh this should be a breeze but nope. and that orb post grrr.... haha. it is fun though, i just wanted to keep playing. for the drop orb target i just bent the bar that moves from the magnet a little bit and it works every time now. i didnt mind the sounds on the game, is the cleland one really that big of a difference?

Night and day, the best part is that if you really want to you can just switch back and forth by swapping SD-Cards but I will bet money that once you put the Cleland code in you won't want to go back.

2 weeks later
#3800 4 years ago
Quoted from UnJed:

Have any of you installed the scoop protector? I bought one for my pro before realizing its not an easy install.[quoted image]

Yes, I installed in mine, not that difficult really. It does make that shot slightly harder to hit but I think it's worth it.

2 weeks later
#3871 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Alright, did the instructions cards over with dark shadows, once in Yellow/Red, once in Blue Red.....like the way the yellow/red now pops and is easier to read:[quoted image][quoted image]

These are really nice, thanks! I printed the instructions card using "original size from DPI" settings and it is about 3/16" too short compared to a regular card. I think it could use a bit more border as well and the red is harder to read in print than on the screen.

#3874 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Interesting....when I printed them 100% on my computer they are about 3/16" too long. I had to print at 95%. I guess the disclaimer is that printers will vary.....
Here are a couple more variations based upon earlier feedback. The Cyan one matches my Premium apron perfectly!!!

These are really nice and I greatly appreciate you sharing them! I should have been more precise, when I print them the are a bit short height-wise, not length wise. It was a pretty easy adjustment to make to get them sized a little better though I still find the red a bit hard to read unless there's a lot of light directly on them. Don't mean to be picky or complain as they are still really, really good and much better than I could do myself.

#3886 4 years ago
Quoted from JFink8222:

Finished all the characters last night. Finished Orb multiball and needed to finalize Groot multiball for Immolation. Finished Groot on my last ball then Immolation lit! I nailed it and played Immolation for what seemed like an eternity. Lost all the balls except one and there is was. The blinking PURPLE Save Xandar scoop shot. Then, the FU@&ing right lane swallowed it up. I wanted to cry!! LOL. 6 billion was well respected by the family. Not my top of 11 billion but dam fun. Really love this game. Been 1.5 years and still choose to play at least once a week. Have 7 to choose from luckily.

What was your II score, must have been a doozy?!

#3928 4 years ago

The only outlane drains that I feel are "cheap" on this game is when the ball rolls out of the pops straight towards the left outlane. Other than that I feel they are pretty salvageable and / or not "cheap" drains. Keep in mind I own STTNG so how bad the outlanes drains can seem to be is a very relative thing.

#3947 4 years ago
Quoted from shriver187:

i just ment the loops hit the slings and from the sling to sling who knows what can happen. i dont really do any of the nudging cuz the silicon feet and the family thinks thats cheating haha

You need to teach the family how to really play pinball, nudging has always been a part of the game especially before they had flippers!

#3954 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

This is a great question UnJed, hoping you will generate some interest or response. I looked back on at several posts I had regarding the Special, but alas I only heard crickets chirping in the distance. My insert continues to be lit during MBs, and with drains to the left outlane and never a Special awarded. The one and only time a Special was awarded was as a Mystery Award from the scoop- this was a much earlier code, The animation on the display was awesome with The Milano flying past. I even wrote to Stern on the subject, and as yet no response. Hoping someone has some insight into your question. Cheers

There is usually a setting to choose what gets awarded for a Special, Points, Credit and Extra Ball are usually the choices but I don't remember looking at it in GOTG specifically.

2 weeks later
#3994 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Did I have to complete orb and Groot multiball to get Immolation Initiative wizard mode ?

No, you just need to have started both. You have to complete both and all modes to get to Save Xandar.

1 week later
#4036 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

OK I saw another post that said it might come with it. Do I need to get any other Cliffy protectors for it?
How about using Mylar anywhere?
Still trying to read everything I can about what I should do and it's still a little overwhelming right now.

You can put some mylar in the shooter lane and on the edge of the outhole under the apron, other than that I can't think of anywhere else on this game that really needs it, especially for home use.

edit: get some plastic protectors, especially for the one under the orb shot as it breaks easily.

#4058 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

Gah just got my machine today and the left flipper stays depressed like it has no pop. When I press the button it stays up and slowly comes back down.. what a bummer!
This is NIB too.

Check to make sure all the coil stop and other mounting screws are tight, sounds like it's binding up since the return spring is obviously intact.

#4061 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

Only thing I've noticed that isn't tight or out of place is this little thing. On the one that works it's more parallel with the main bracket. The one that isn't worked it's def twisted up.
I do not have the tools to even do most of this stuff so looks like I'm making a trip to Lowes.[quoted image][quoted image]

I take it this is your first game? No shame in that if it is as we all had to start somewhere and a NIB GOTG is a damn fine place to do so, sorry you have an issue though. It might help to post your location in case someone local would generously offer to stop by to help you and teach you a few things you'll eventually need anyway. If not see the picture below, the part you have circled is just the EOS actuator arm and it's hard to see in your picture but that's usually not going to be the problem unless somehow it broke during transport and is now binding up. The most common causes of what you describe would be either the coil stop or front coil mounting bracket being loose or out of alignment and therefore preventing the plunger from moving smoothly through the coil and sleeve. Flipper gap, or the space between the actual flipper and the playfield / bushing is another one, if it's too tight it will bind up but unless it came loose in transport I'd be surprised if that were the case as these are play-tested before they leave the factory. The picture I attached is for an older Data East mechanism but it's essentially the same with only a few minor differences.

#4064 4 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

@bobukat Looks like we posted at the same time!

Yes, but you took the extra effort to mark up his photo, I was lazy and just pasted a diagram from Pinwiki so you win this one!

#4071 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

So it was the piece I took a pic of initially. It was so tight it wasn't allowing the actually flipper to move. I loosened it up which I could of done the first night, but it was so tight I didn't think that was it. I had to take a lot of pieces off to even get the angle/torque needed to loosen. After a few tweaks I finally got it to stay in the same position! Wooo only took like 4 hours!
Thanks for all the help I'm sure I'll be back again, but hopefully not for awhile! Ha
[quoted image]

Put the cleland sound rom in that thing and play the hell out of it!!!

#4073 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

Oh yeah that was installed right away! Lolol
And me being brand new to pinball I picked one hell of one to start on this thing is brutally hard! Lol
Hopefully I get better, but I can barely break 180 million right now.

It's really not that brutal IMO, many out there that are worse so stay with it. If you get too many left lane drains move the post but otherwise just keep working towards completing modes and getting to Cherry Bomb, big points are there for the taking!

#4080 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

What is so special on the cleland mod and where to get ?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod

Completely changes the game in my opinion, be sure to follow the suggestion for setting the speech attenuation as well. Enjoy!

#4082 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Thank you! As i like the original songs, are they all replaced ? Or only the sounds ?

I think they are all there but used in different places and many other songs, including some from the 2nd movie are added. The voice clips from the actual movie are added as well. If you follow the instructions and use a different SD card instead of writing over the other one you can switch back and forth between them very easily if you don't like it. I don't know that I've met anyone who prefers the original though.

#4084 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

i like to give it a try , but the downloadlinks in the other thread dont work

Did you try the ones in this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod/page/11#post-4744352

They appear to work for me.

#4097 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Whats the best strategy to earn big points on Cherry bomb multiball ?
I got from 60-600 millions, but didnt know why i get sometimes the really big points..

It's all about getting the Super JP lit and hit, which is tough with Groot's mouth openening and closing while the game constantly feeds you balls like crazy. Qualifying and using Hadron enforcers to get it lit can help a lot but can't be used to collect it.

#4106 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

oooh. so probably need the super jackpot on both then? crazy. thanks!

Yes, must have SJPs completed for both MBs for it to count towards Save Xandar.

#4117 4 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

I’m looking at doing a spinner mod on my pro and was hoping someone with a premium could help me out. Would you mind sending/posting me a few pictures of the wires leading off the spinner switch to the node board and a picture of where it hooks into the connector on the node board?
Thanks

Interesting, I wonder if the Pro code even has the switch inputs for it. Keep us posted.

#4122 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Got one question. When the orb spits out the ball and the magnet energizes I notice that the right slingshot also is energized. Does anyone recognize this?
I tried the coil test and there this behaviour isn't noticed. Is it something that is software driven?
I use version 1.06 with the Cleland sound mod.

Have never seen this happen, if you bang on the playfield in game does the sling fire? My guess is one of the sling switches is gapped too tight and the drop target releasing causes it to fire.

#4131 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I think I found a bug.
When groots mouth open and you start orb multiball it stays open. When you now shoot a ball in the mouth Groot keep that ball and you have to play the orb multiball with two balls. He didn’t give it back also when you lose the two balls.
Can anyone confirm ?

Have never seen this happen, what version of code are you running? I'm still on 1.02.

2 weeks later
#4165 4 years ago
Quoted from ElkGrovePinball:

Has anyone had an issue with a clean left ramp shot wanting to moon walk all the way to the left outlane? If so, what solution worked? Seems like it is happening on my GOTG one out of ten times. Not often, but enough to be miffed at when it happens. I am a new owner, but the previous owner said he never encountered this issue. Thanks.

What kind of sling rubber do you have installed? Some of them are thicker than others and can cause this but you should be able to make minor adjustments to the position of the end of the ramp to help resolve this.

2 weeks later
#4200 4 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

Sometimes when the ball ejects into the shooter lane, it rebounds off of the side rail and goes back into the mouth of the trough. I then have to nudge / shake the machine to get it back into the shooter lane.
I've turn the power of the eject coil as low as you can, but still get this happening from time to time.
Becomes a big issue if it happens during a MB.
Anyone know how I can fix this?

I haven't looked at the more recent Stern ball troughs but you may be able to slide the coil up or down the bracket to shorten / soften the plunge which should help.

#4211 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thank you! What do you guys think of the Pro vs. Premium for this title? Do the extras on the Premium justify the price difference or is the Pro close enough?

While the light show and spinner on the Premium are really nice additions I think this is one of the best Pros, the game play is the same (minus spinner) and a lot of fun. I bought mine lightly used figuring I'd play it for a few months then flip it for something else but I really, really like it and haven't found another Stern worthy of taking it's place yet. If money isn't an issue the Premium is still a pretty good deal on the secondary market, if buying new I'd suggest going with the Pro unless you plan to keep it for a really long.

#4215 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

Hi there, We've got a little issue with our GOTG Pro. When starting up the first (1 player) game of the day, numbers start scrolling around where the scores of player 1, 2 & 3 normally are placed. This only stops when the machine gets switched on and off. Does somebody else here also have had this issue?[quoted image][quoted image]

I thought that got fixed a few code revisions ago, what version are you running?

#4226 4 years ago
Quoted from Rengozu:

Alright, so I've been out of the pinball game a minute now, but with my last kid going off to college soon enough, I'm about ready to be an owner once again. After just seeing what's possible with this one after adding the custom music/voice mods, I'm pretty sure this is the one I'm going to start off with when I'm ready to buy. (Though Wonka is also calling me!)
Most likely going to be a holiday purchase, and while I've owned several pins before, I've never bought one new (or a couple year old recent release preowned) Most likely looking to get the Premium version, and really just wanted to hear your advice on the must have add-ons and mods for the machine to keep it looking nice. Local arcade has a Pro version and it already has a big chunk missing on the play field by the drop-hole under the sign.
I can see various add-ons from several sites, but some overlap of the same type item and didn't know if there was a preferred brand/style or vendor I should be hitting up first. Was also curious if the complete clear playfield protectors like I see on eBay are recommended. No experience using them, and didn't know how it would affect gameplay.
Anyone use colored balls? Also don't know how they play (I'm assuming somewhat different) but after stumbling onto them from one of the sites I found my way to and seeing the bright colors available now, it made me think they could look cool on this adding one of each color to represent the different Infinity Stones.
Will start digging through this thread now for some info, just wanted to say hi and figured I'd ask the people that have had it awhile since you know what works and what's most needed. Probably going to start buying the extra pieces now so I have it all ready to go, so thanks for you help and looking forward to it!

You really shouldn't need a full playfield protector for home use, just wipe it clean often, replace balls as needed / regularly and wax it every 500 plays or so. There are multiple sources for clear plastic protectors but I will say the color-matched ones are really nice. The orb plastic protector is a must, I don't have any experience with it (I just have the one Stern provided) but the one being sold by a Pinsider in this thread looks like a good bet. If you buy a premium it should already have the factory scoop protector in place, if not buy a cliffy for it. I also like the clear plastic scoop sign as it adds a little more light and it's pretty inexpensive. If you buy new make sure to add a shooter lane protector or mylar and if the game has art blades or you add them I recommend the protectors that Pinball Life sells that you slide in before lifting the playfield. The Stern art blades look pretty nice in GOTG. I think you'll be able to find a nice home use Premium for a good price, the game had a bad reputation from the beginning because of code and it seems the price of used ones still reflects that.

I would not recommend colored balls because I don't think they last when actually played but I haven't tried any of the new ones being offered.

3 weeks later
#4248 4 years ago
Quoted from ElkGrovePinball:

Have made it to Immolation several times and Save Xandar once. But did not know the objectives. Could someone explain in simple terms what to do including how add a balls work? Does Immolation go on forever until you get to one ball play? I know after Save Xandar the modes start over. Thanks.

http://tiltforums.com/t/guardians-of-the-galaxy-pinball-rulesheet-wip/3338 in case you haven't seen it. The add-a-balls are all at the scoop IIRC and the mode ends when you are no longer in multi-ball i.e. you're down to one ball in play.

2 months later
#4290 4 years ago
Quoted from DenverFletcher:

It took me a few years to finally get my wife to come around to allowing such an expensive purchase of a "toy".... so my biggest anxiety is that I'll play GOTG for awhile, learn it, eventually beat it, then maybe get bored of it and want another one. I doubt I'll get to where she'll be OK with me getting a second machine, so the likely path will be to sell it and go buy another title! We shall see, though. Best case is that she actually gets into it herself and is like "ya, maybe we should get another machine for some variety!" Boy would that amaze me

Well the good news is that GOTG is sufficiently "deep" so you'll not get to the wizard modes very quickly unless you are a great player and / or you set the game up too easy. It's fun to develop a strategy of what modes to play when or in what order but that part can get a bit repetitious in that I almost always play the same ones and avoid the same ones until the end, but that's pretty standard of any game where you get to choose the mode. Cherry Bomb MB is achievable enough to make even mediocre games really fun and rewarding and getting to Immolation Initiative or Save Xandar are hard but exciting as you start to get close to either.

Congratulations on getting your first game, having GEX set it up for you will make things really easy but be sure to watch carefully so you're ready to do it yourself when #2 shows up!

Edit: Get plastic protectors installed and the cleland sound mode installed, both are fairly simple to do. One will protect your new "toy" and the other will make it epic.

2 weeks later
#4322 4 years ago
Quoted from maskedavenger23:

Has anyone played the premium or LE version? Is it possible to add the additional 2 magnets to the pro version? Sounds like it would be fun to add.

Is the bottom of the Pro playfield routed out for the other two magnets, I don't think it is but I'm definitely not sure.

2 weeks later
#4338 4 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Have not had the glass of more that 3 or 4 times but tonight I added light up buttons and now the board over star lord is dragging on the glass. Anyone have this happen? I made sure the playing field is all the way down but still doing it.[quoted image]

The playfield cannot be all the way down if that is happening, check the two playfield hooks that mate into the bar (would be a lock-down bar in most non Spike games) at the front of the cabinet.

2 months later
#4445 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Thanks
Is the link below for the whole package.. 1.06 stern rules with Cleland code?
Thanks
[quoted image]

Yes, if you d/l that and follow cleland instructions to burn it to a new SD Card you can just swap that in the game, turn it on and you're good to go (all settings and high scores will be deleted). If at any point you feel you want / need to you can just put the Stern provided one back in the game.

#4450 3 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

I'm officially in the club boys. Got my pro on Wednesday. Clelands code went on before I played it. He is the Master! What a badass awesome pin. I've had all the high-end pins. You name it, I've owned it at one time.
This is the most fun I've had on a pin in a while. Great game. It's an injustice, it should be rated higher.

It's one of those situations where you know the game should be rated higher but at the same time can be happy it's not because you can get a good deal on a great game!

4 weeks later
#4470 3 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

Well I'm at a loss... My orb just keeps dropping the ball straight down the middle. I added washers to the Ronan magnet and I got a wider post sleeve from Cliffy, it did nothing. Does this have to do with the Cleland code? The magnet doesn't seem to activate on time. Like it fires too late.
Help

I've always run the cleland code and my game (pro) never fails to catch it, what it does after it catches it varies at times but is generally consistent at dumping it to the left inlanes. Slope is just shy of 7 degrees.

Have you tested the target down switch to make sure it's registering properly and not bouncing when the target is dropped? Maybe the code relies on seeing that switch close to time the magnet activation and timing?

1 week later
#4479 3 years ago
Quoted from Azzer50:

I have had our Guardians for about a year now and the whole family love it, I'm going to be taking back into our local Stern distributor for a clean and service soon but i thought i might see if anyone can shed some light on these alerts. The groot lockup does cause him to open and close hes mouth about 10 times on startup but I haven't noticed any game play issues with the other 2 alerts
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You probably need to replace the end of stroke (EOS) switches on both flippers, may be able to just clean them. I've never really looked at the groot mech too close so I can't help you there but there is probably a switch that tells the game the mouth is closed and it needs to be cleaned or adjusted.

1 month later
#4510 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Thanks will order one does this one work as I presume it needs these older school cards and not a jump drive or no? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ultra-plus-16gb-sdhc-uhs-i-memory-card/3142535.p?skuId=3142535

Yes, that one will work fine. Just be sure to read the instructions for how to burn the cleland image to the card, you can't just copy and paste it you need to use a program to install it on the card, all the instructions are in the thread. Enjoy!!

#4514 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

My right flipper has up and down play in it. I noticed it is leaving very light markings on the playfield. I loosened flipper and lifted the shaft to move it farther away from playfield but now it causing a bind on the coil shaft.
Any ideas why this is happening?
PS I changed coil stop too just in case. Nothing changed

I assume this problem was occurring before you change the coil stop and that you ensured everything in the assembly was tight and aligned properly when you re-assembled it. If those assumptions are correct I'd suspect that somehow the flipper bushing cracked or was bad from the factory. I think you might have noticed though when you were adjusting the height of the flipper bat but it's also possible you just raised the bat too far. There is a spacing tool you can buy to help with this but I always just eye-ball them and ensure smooth operation before tightening it back down. You should always have a little bit of up/down play in the flipper bat or things will bind up but certainly not enough for the bat to ever touch the playfield. Try lowering it just enough to match the other one and make sure you have a little bit of up/down play to allow everything to move freely. If that doesn't do it I'd pull the flipper bushing out and see if it's intact or worn. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5070-00

#4517 3 years ago

Thanks for your help! I think you might be right about the flipper bushing! Everything thing looks good. It has to be something unseen. I have not dealt with the flipper bushing before but it definitely is allowing a lot of up and down play. The left side has minimal play in it.

The flipper bushing really doesn't control the up/down motion of the flipper but it does control how straight the flipper shaft is through the playfield. Up/down play is a factor of how you position the shaft of the bat in the pawl and how high above the playfield / bushing you install it. When your flipper was rubbing the playfield was it just out towards the tip or was it the whole or most of the bat? If it's the latter of those two I still think you just need to re-adjust your flipper and it should be good. This video from Butch Peel when he was still at JJP is really good, watch it if you haven't already just keep in mind that Stern assemblies are a little different than JJP / BW.

He starts talking about the bushing about 8:45 in.

#4525 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

My GOTG had this same issue on the right flipper. They do actually sell those clear nylon spacers for a few cents. I believe I ordered mine from Pinballlife.com
1 washer, and I was back in business
Here ya go! 25 cents each.
https://www.pinballlife.com/nylon-flipper-shaft-spacer.html

In 20+ years of owning pinball games I've never needed to put a washer under a flipper and if you have to still leave a gap it just means you're raising the bat higher than it needs to be. If it works for you that's cool but I'll contend it's not the way it was designed and they should work perfectly fine without it as long as everything is in good working order and properly installed.

1 week later
#4534 3 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Just joined the club yesterday. Picked it it from an awesome pinsider Bork. Its in perfect shape, and plays great. After looking through the thread I have seen the Cleland mod for the music. Has anyone had any problems with with it. I am thinking of adding it. Also this one doesn't have speech when you push the flipper button when not playing. I looked in the menu but didn't see where to turn it on. V/R
[quoted image]

@Cleland's sound mods are the best thing you can do this game, no problem with it whatsoever. I don't think it makes any noise when you hit the flippers in attract but it's not something I often do so I'm not sure!

#4538 3 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Thanks. No, Stern is cracking down on the links to alternate versions being public. You need to just PM him and he'll send you a link.

Is that really what caused him to get into DropBox jail?? I thought it was just excessive bandwidth use.

#4541 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Anyone can contact me directly and I am happy to help. Yes, we are in the age of not sharing these full image links publicly any longer.
BTW....I don't think I shared, but I am back in the club with a beautiful GOTG Pro! So good to have this one back![quoted image]

Happy to have you back in the club!

1 week later
#4568 3 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

No, but if you have Hadron Enforcers you can complete the mode without hitting Rocket. The key is to NOT hit the Groot shot.
1. Collect a few shots from the lanes.
2. Use HE to collect shots until only one is needed. This will leave Rocket AND GROOT lit for the last shot to complete the mode.
3. Collect the Groot shot.

I have to give this a try, I don't remember this ever working that way but if it does that's my new go-to strategy for certain!

#4571 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

so new code soon!?

Does it really need it? Seems pretty complete to me.

#4586 3 years ago

I'm not 100% it happened in Orb but if there is a rule that that happens that would explain it. I have only gotten to cherrybomb once so I know it wasn't that one.

I've play Orb MB and beat it more times than I can count, there's no point that shuts off the flippers. I don't know of any other mode that does either except for the end of CBMB when the whole mode times out. Nothing about the flipper issues you describe sounds normal in any way, I wish I could offer more troubleshooting help but this is the only Spike game I've ever had and (knock on wood) it's been reliable other than the orb drop needing adjustment on occasion.

#4587 3 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

In case anyone is interested, here's the video of the Escape Kyln loophole. (For the record, you only really need one Hadron Enforcer.)

This is great, thanks for posting that!

#4597 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Okay I have a NIB pro coming next week for our campground gameroom...are these coming solid out of the box now? Anything I need to do/know?

Plastic protectors and especially the Orb plastic protector plus the cleland sound package and you should be good to go!

#4604 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Never mind my drop target was turned off in the settings and works but when a ball is behind it goes into search mode ... great

That's not a terribly uncommon issue and can usually be fixed with a little adjustment of the mech, search this thread and you'll find pictures and descriptions of the "fix".

#4609 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Got my NIB GOTG Pro yesterday. Need to take a pic of the far right loop shot as the metal seems bent out a little bit and I wasn’t sure if it’s supposed to be that way or not. Also I have the Cleland code loaded and I noticed a lot of talking which sometimes seems to be over top of something else. I know everyone loves the code so maybe I just need to get used to it but was wasn’t sure if that’s pretty much how it is most of the game. I also made the pitch higher in the back to speed it up a bit which I definitely like. I’ll take a pic of that right loop when I get a chance this weekend to see if that’s normal or not.

Make sure you adjust the speech and music attenuation settings per @cleland's recommendation in his thread.

#4630 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

I've got a NIB GoG Pro (24hrs old now), and I've had slightly different drop target issues. The issue is that the target doesn't come up during gameplay, with very rare exceptions. In the game tests, the drop target up and down works perfectly. In fact, if I leave it up after testing, and then start a game, it drops, as if I've configured it that way. The only option I've found is the disable drop target, which is set to factory default of NO. The standup in there works, but never counts toward orb shots. Any suggestions?

Sounds to me like the down switch isn't activating and / or the drop is too sensitive and can drop from vibration?? First thing to do is to leave the target down, go into switch tests and make sure that switch is registering properly. You may have a wire off the switch, it came loose in shipping and is out of adjustment, etc.

#4633 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

I called Stern. The recording said they aren't taking calls. So I emailed. I got a reply with a one-page .pdf on how to fix the drop target not dropping issue. I replied within 10 minutes explaining that those were not the symptoms of my game. No response back yet. I was hoping to have something new to try this weekend.

So you can't collect orb's and start orb MB? Maybe try disabling fast boot and / or burning a new SD card with the full image (you should do this with cleland sound package anyway if you already haven't). Also make sure competition mode isn't enabled.

#4635 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

I’m reading the wiki rule sheets for this game and it says the magna force will catch the first two balls after you lock them in the Orb and then release them. Just got mine two weeks ago brand new and haven’t seen that happen yet. Is there a setting adjustment for that, an issue, or does it really not do that?

This seems to be a fairly common problem and there are have been multiple "solutions" discussed in this thread. You may want to do a thread search for "grab" or magnet or both. Mine has always been fairly consistent but adding a washer to push the magnet core up tighter to the playfield did improve how well it catches and flings the ball. Also be sure you're game is level side to side and not too steep or the timing and momentum of the ball may make it miss.

#4641 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

It’s definitely unique!
Cool? Not cool?
Totally doesn’t matter if you like it!
That’s the beauty of mods. They are completely personal.

They are definitely personal but putting the drive in movie screen on Groot's head is a hard pass for me. The twinkle lights I'd have to see in person.

1 week later
#4651 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinforlife:

Since nobody has the original topper for sale at msrp price instead of 700 bucks. Figured I’d start a mach up Instead. Couple of wet paper towels smashed around and painted, add a hot toys Stan, cut a round pattern in acrylic “paint back side and drill for stars” fiber cable for lights to come. Thought it might give someone else some creative ideas.
[quoted image]

As far as I'm concerned there are only two toppers worth more that about $150, WH20 (OG only) and BKSOR.

#4656 3 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

So is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble hitting the ramps....or anything else of value?

They are definitely much harder than they appear to be and the right one is really unforgiving when you miss it.

3 weeks later
#4727 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I think so! But also would like crashing the ship in star trek. Both are great toys.
As long as there aren't and damnits or what the hells in gotg it's definitely a contender.

I think that it may have the "You said it yourself bitch, we're the Guardians of the Galaxy" line when you complete Save Xandar but the odds of your children ever getting anywhere near there are pretty slim based on what you said.

2 weeks later
#4749 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaymach1:

Got a set of these awesome mirrorbladez from pingraffix. Really look great in the game. Pics don't do it justice. @pingraffix
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those look great, if I didn't already have the Stern art blades I'd consider putting in a set.

#4759 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Lenticular is installed and in action....
Shaker and sub going in now.

Those are pretty cool, where did you got those?

#4763 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Thanks, I made them.. I threw them in my store if you want to see a couple of still pictures of them. They are a pain to make and take a ton of time, but the results are really cool. They are hard to photograph properly though.

Are these printed on clear material that would allow for backlighting them with an EL panel, etc.?

1 week later
#4779 3 years ago
Quoted from dferg24:

Hello all! I am currently in the market for a GOTG pin and am leaning towards buying the pro as the upgrades on the premium don't seem to be worth the extra money for me. However I am a big fan of RBG LED lighting when coded correctly and was reading on the features matrix that the pro is missing RGB LED multicolor pop bumpers, RGB LED lighting for inserts, and red, white, and blue lighting in the GI.
Can these lights be upgraded after market as the code is already written or is a different board or something required to initiate the change in colors on the lights?
Cheers,
David

I guess it's theoretically possible to upgrade the GI but the inserts (other than the arrows that are RBG on the Pro as well) are all colored on the pro playfield so you couldn't effectively put RBG in those anyway. The code is different between the two already because of the spinner and orb but I personally think the Pro is really great on this game and you won't miss much on it at all.

1 week later
#4804 3 years ago

Stern only used the studs for a couple years, and most everyone hated them. So, Stern switched back to the rails. Definitely not the new norm, thank goodness.

I didn't realize they had switch to the "New EZ Slides" for Pros on later games, on GOTG the pro came with the stubs and the prem/le got those new slide / service rails.

#4807 3 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

They aren't "EZ slides" they are just "Support rails" instead of pegs. (Just to avoid confusion)
Actual EZ slides from Back alley creations are also awesome though.

I just took the terminology directly from the features matrix for GOTG: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/GOTG-Feature-Matrix.pdf

#4820 3 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Interesting! Are these pretty easy to install, do you know? Any drilling required?

I've not personally installed them but they are supposed to be very easy as the mounting points are already there, no drilling required.

#4827 3 years ago
Quoted from seger10494:

Is it still possible to get the cleland code for this. Just got the game and it doesn't have it

PM cleland directly and be sure to tell him if you need the Pro or Premium, he no longer posts them publicly.

#4835 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Anyone having issues with the ball flying through orb so fast that it doesn't lock? Didn't have this happen really for 2 years...maybe 10% of the time. Seems more like 50% of the time now that the ball flies in and out before the post has a chance to go up. I noted older posts of folks having the opposite problem where the post wouldn't go down. LOL.
Also on the magnet fix on my Pro, I added the 2 washers under the magnet core to push it closer to playfield per the pinned post in this thread. It worked great for 2 days but now back to the same low impact magnet (on my Pro). Any other fixes? Maybe 3-4 washers need to be added?
Thanks all!

I am getting more failed orb locks than previously, on mine it seems as though the drop target may not be staying up the first time and has to double pump which lets the ball out. It happens so quickly it's hard to tell, may have to try to catch it in slo-mo with my phone camera. I haven't really tried adjusting it yet.

#4853 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Is there a link to premium/LE sound mod?
Didn’t see it in the key posts.

Which one, there are a few different versions. cleland had to stop posting links to his but if you PM him he'll get it to you still. applejuice has a version too but I don't know if he has a prem/LE version or not.

1 week later
#4869 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

It's finished... and now i can See through the Ramps
A Few Things more to come:
- Spinner decal
- powder coat (trim, legst and coindoor)
- mirrorblades
- new speaker and Subwoofer
- custom speaker lights
- scorecards

The lighted scoop sign mod is a really nice touch for not much $$.

1 week later
#4888 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

My machine is brand new and the magnet is clearly adjusting ball trajectories but I rarely see it actually grab the ball. Usually I see it swirl around the magnet and go up and hit the guardians Target. Is the ball supposed to be grabbed? cuz right now it feels like what Adam's family does. Not grabbing the ball but really screwing with it

Mine grabs and drops it about 85-90% of the time, usually to the left flipper, occasionally the left in-lane which can also end up in the out lane of course. I'm pretty happy with it.

1 week later
#4903 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Thanks for the advise
Choice between TMNT and gotg was a tough one.
I only have gotg LE like 6-8 weeks so perhaps still in honeymoon phase. But because of theme, music and video I decided in the end for gotg.
Was a close call as I do believe TMNT has more shots and could be a better player pin but to afraid I couldn’t get over the theme. The sounds and music (I played it like 2 hours) just didn’t do it with me. Shots is another topic and this I like TMNT a lot and made me hesitate for such a long time. Not that I dislike it but have also no sentimental memories of the turtles. So perfect would have been a TMNT layout with gotg theme.
Thanks again for the advise and who knows what the future will bring. For now the gotg will stay which I am sure you will agree with, it’s the gotg thread after all....[quoted image][quoted image]

I think GOTG shoots much better than TMNT.

2 weeks later
#4963 3 years ago
Quoted from uccash:

Joined the club at the end of December and picked up a NIB GOTG Pro. This is my first pinball and so far loving it.
Question: the post in the left outlane is at the highest point it can be (done by factory). I was thinking of adjusting because draining on the left outlane from kick from right sling, etc... is starting to drive me crazy. On one hand, I know it will make the games last longer and allow me to progress more throughout the game, but don't want to "cheat" and make the game too easy and I keep telling myself to just get better so I don't get into that situation.
Anyone change the location of that post in the outlane or what is the consensus thought on adjusting games to make them easier?
Any and all feedback appreciated.

That left outlane will Borg the hell out of you, if you are getting a lot of cheap drains from the pops (mine does this a lot!) they are almost impossible to save unless you set the tilt super liberal. I don't really like me or anyone else shaking the shit out of my games (good nudging, slap saving, etc. is absolutely fine) so I moved mine to the middle hole. I still gets a lot of drains so and the game will still whoop ass on plenty of games.

#4965 3 years ago

My machine only has 2 holes for the outlane posts. What do you all mean by middle hole

Sorry, I mean to say the bottom one.

2 weeks later
#5023 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Cool, thanks, seems like I need a second SD card to swap them, I see a lot of people have done that. So the Cleland doesn’t do the real movie call outs?

That is incorrect, the cleland version does indeed have actual movie audio but none of the Stern music which the applejuice version does use.

#5035 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Looking at a pro for sale nearby, will I miss much by not getting a premium? I've only played the pro a few times on location. Thx,,,

Obviously the Premium has some nice things you'll miss but for the money I think you are absolutely fine with the Pro on GOTG.

#5037 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

In game play, what's missing that you wish pro had?

From an actual inter-activity standpoint the spinner is the only major thing. Sure the moving Rocket and Orb toys are nice but relatively just for show. Personally I think the full RGB lightshow is the biggest difference that I would care about but for the price, and especially if you don't think you'll keep it for a long time the Pro is just fine on this title.

#5041 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

I just tried flashing the Applejuice code to an SD card - I had the problem a few people had earlier that the screen just keep saying the game was restarting.
So question - did I ruin my SD card? Second question, reading up I don’t know what I did wrong? The fix said to do a full update, but I don’t see where to do that?

Almost impossible to ruin the SD card but it MAY be possible you need to use a SD card formatting utility to get it back to like new state. As for what went wrong with the Applejuice flash you'd probably need to share a screen shot of the directory of that card after you flashed it. If you used a new / different SD card you should be able to just stick the OG Stern card in there and power back up to get it working again.

These are linked to Aerosmith but the upgrade process is the same as it would be for GOTG. https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/AEROSMITH_PRO_1_07_0-README.txt

#5050 3 years ago

Yup, that's a John Borg trademark right there. On this game it's rough.
Question about the combo champ. How in the world do you get that? Is it more than 15 combos in a row? On my stranger things I have the combo champ at like 80 combos but that's definitely not in one go. My hi score is 1.5 billion on this game and I thought for sure I'd get it but didn't.

Yes, we call it "getting Borged", especially when the ball rolls out of the pops and directly over to that wireform.

1 month later
#5180 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I'm getting the ball stuck behind the orb drop target occasionally now. Won't release in ball search, I have to remove glass to free. Any fixes known? Thx,,

Does the drop target drop in solenoid tests?

#5181 3 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

So I've had my game about a year. Couple things I can't quite dial in.
1) GROOT MULTIBALL DOESN'T START IMMEDIATELY. Sometimes the mb won't start until the 2nd ball search. I got all new carbon balls from Titan. They aren't magnetized. The optos are clean. There are no test issues. I can't figure out WTF is up with this.
2) LAUNCHER FIRES WHEN NO BALL PRESENT. Sometimes, in multiball, the trough doesn't get a ball to the launcher but the launcher fires anyway. Maybe its the switch in the lane? Switch works but maybe it goes off too easy? Problem is, when this is at the end of the MB, sometimes you don't get your ball, the mb times out and your mb is over when it shouldn't be. It isn't the end of the world, but I'd like to get rid of this issue.

For the groot issue have you put three balls in there then checked that all three optos register correctly and that the proper trough switches register? Sure you have correct number of balls in the game?

2 weeks later
#5221 2 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Ok so I’ve wanted a GOTG for about 3 years now!
Problems 1 ones come up a little more than I want to spend
Problem 2 I’m full!! 8 games is my max I can’t fit any more in this game screams kinetic satisfaction to me as do all Borg’s.
Problem 3 is I have 8 fantastic games! 8 games that I don’t want to get rid of. 4 Borg’s, a Gomez, a Balcer, an Elwin and a Nordman. I LOVE my 4 Borg’s. Tmnt, iron man, TWDLE and xmen. I love deadpool and WH2O. I enjoy woz and aiq.
So problem 4 exists where I’ve got 4 Borg’s in my collection add another and it’s majority Borg. So a Borg is kind of on the chopping block. But I don’t want any of them to leave.
How do people rate gotg against these other games. At the moment my rating of my collection is
TWDLE
Tmnt
Deadpool
WH2O
Xmen
Iron man
Aiq
Woz
That’s no sneeze on woz or aiq it’s just those other games are higher. Is it warranted to sell maybe iron man and bring in gotgle?

Probably depends on how long you've had Iron Man, personally in that list I'd ditch Deadpool or XMen first but that's just me.

#5235 2 years ago

https://vineripesoftware.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/ezgif-7-e8e7a33aa8f7.gif
I keep getting this on boot up at least once a week. I know for a fact I wasn't touching the machine this time. A reboot fixes it but odd none the less. The gif wouldn't work uploaded here and I can't figure out how to embed it. Anyway that's what it is doing

Try disabling fast boot in the settings.

1 week later
#5282 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Can’t decide if GOTGLE is to go to make room for Mando..
It’s a tough choice..
[quoted image]

Munsters or Ghostbusters would leave WAY before GOTG if it were me.

#5306 2 years ago
Quoted from Pixel8Arcade:

I like the lighting effect the pinstadiums give, however the one on the right side has never stayed mounted properly. It has a bend to it which means the closest and furthest portion love to separate from the magnetic strip. I’m constantly taking the glass off to push them back in place EVEN WITH sticky tac on it.
I’m guessing before it was made it had a bend and the guy who builds them figured it doesn’t make a difference BUT it does. #attentiontodetail

With regards to the issue with the PinStadiums, did you contact Scott about the issue? His service is generally impeccable.

1 month later
#5365 2 years ago
Quoted from cpm_:

Good thing I asked, I didn't realize there was an opto right in front of the mouth. I always went into the pops once or twice and then the mouth opened. Hitting groot in the mouth, a closed mouth, has never done anything.
What do you think that is? I am not very experienced in these things. Could the opto be broken from the factory or maybe just misaligned so the pops shakes into tripping? I just did a switch test of the opto and its not working but I can still get the mouth to open occasionally with a lot of bounces in the pops.

It could certainly be misaligned or you could have a broken wire, also possible it wasn't wired up correctly at the factory if you bought it new and it's never worked. Start by taking the balls out of the game, lifting the playfield and tracing the wires for both optos back. The manual probably doesn't specifiy it so maybe post your pictures and have other owners verify the wiring.

3 weeks later
#5428 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

We have an le, pinstadium not needed , my opinion. Plenty of light in this game. They are a great add on for other pins

I have the Pro and agree, this game is plenty bright with stock GI.

#5431 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I'm not knocking pinstadium at all, great product. Worked well on deadpool and munsters, very dark games . Gotg has great lighting in my opinion

Also agreed, I have them on WOZ and Pinball Magic, both are games that really need help with GI and the adjustability of them are great but many other games just don't need them IMO.

#5439 2 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

Guys I’m hoping someone can help me out with an issue I’m having with my pro. I can turn it on and play a few minutes but after a few minutes it will quit and reboot to the initializing screen until I turn it off and restart it again. Any ideas?

When you say the initializing screen can you be more specific, like what exactly is on the screen when this happens? Have you done anything to the game recently?

#5441 2 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

It’s just says initializing like when you first turn it on and it’s booting up. It basically restarts. I haven’t done anything to it. It’s actually been in storage for about 8 months

Was it folded up for storage? If so reseat connectors in the backbox, remove and re-insert the SD card and then try burning a new SD card if the problem persists.

#5471 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Does it make the game that much better?

It's really not even close, when I hear a GOTG with the stock audio (usually on location or on a Twitch video) I do a double take. If one of the Cleland ones isn't completely your cup of tea you can also try the applejuice mix.

1 week later
#5516 2 years ago

Yeah. Look at yours then look at picture of the mod above on the thread

I didn't want to laugh at this, but I did.

#5580 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

Cliffy does not make a protector for the scoop. There is a factory protector available for the LE's that I would recommend installing for the pro. Mine started to get a noticable ding along the middle of the left side of the scoop and I could see the clear starting to chip and I bought the protector. Mylar is not going to protect it.
https://www.pinballlife.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-scoop-protector.html
Does this change the shot at all or increase rejects? Does it cover any artwork? Basically, does it compromise anything about the scoop shot or is it a no-downside solution?

I agree with C0untDeM0net (excellent user name BTW) on putting the scoop protector on unless you really aren't going to play the game much. I play mine pretty heavily for a home game and had the same experience of the left side developing a divot, even with mylar strips on it. Like any scoop protector it will make that shot slightly harder to hit but it's not a huge difference and I actually get fewer rejects on really hard shots to the scoop with it in place. It does not hide any artwork and you should have no problem getting consistent, controllable, scoop kickouts by adjusting the coil strength.

#5581 2 years ago

As someone who has owned this game for a few years now and watched it get bashed by critics even after they completely changed the code I'm pleasently surprised at all the recent attention and love it's getting. This has nothing to do with the value of my game as I don't plan to sell anytime in the foreseeable future but I just figured it was done as far as production and that whatever games were made would be it. Nice to see others have found it to be better than it's critics say and enjoy it. I love the theme and liken it to a Metallica I can actually stand to have in my house, although they really do play completely differently.

1 week later
#5672 2 years ago
Quoted from TrixTrix:

PSA do not install earlier versions of game software on this run of GOTG games. This run has a newer revision of nodeboards which are not supported by older game code.

This is an interesting bit of information and should be noted when installing Cleland or other custom code in the game!

#5716 2 years ago
Quoted from slampt:

Hey All, Picked up a GOTG LE a few months ago, turned it on this morning to a node 10 not found issue.
48V LED on, all others off, as per the schematic that indicates an issue with the 5V (https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/520-6976-72A-SPI-only-NODE-board.pdf) I have isolated the board and tested continuity between GND and 5V, it appears to be shorted. Tested some of the caps from the step down converter. c11 - short, c114 - short, c68 - short, c33 seems ok. I am going to try and order a new board however I am concerned something cause caused this to short so before i spend $180+ on this board I want to ensure I have found the root cause. Has anyone had this issue or know what I should be checking?
Thanks

I've never worked on a node board before but I've always been curious about them, can you do the same continuity tests on a good, working board? If something is shorting 5VDC to ground it could really be a chore to figure out exactly what depending on how many components are on that board.

#5717 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I don't have high hopes for my sound mod to work on these last batch of games. But, if it can be done I'll port the sounds over to 1.08
Markharris2000 pretty much nailed it IMO.

Wow, this would be a serious blow to owners of the newer games and will be one of those things prospective buyers of used games will need to acertain in the future. Personally it might actually stop me from buying the game at all and look for an older one. I take it that they are now locking out pinball browser from working on any of their games?

#5719 2 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Devastating news!!

Yes, thinking about it some more if one of those node boards fail and the replacement requires new code......

#5723 2 years ago

I wonder if you could put the 1.06 Cleland card in and then use a USB drive to update to 1.08 and get it to work properly?

#5729 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

This cannot be done, the 1.08 USB update will wipe out all of my sound changes.
I have not had a chance to download the new 1.08 to load in Pinball Browser, but I'm guessing it won't load....but I'll give it a shot.

Bummer but thanks for letting us know.

#5734 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

To keep it in perspective, the NEW GAMECODE V1.08 appears to be compatible with ANY machine ever shipped. Anyone buying a new machine or an older used machine can grab V1.08 from Stern's website and it will work fine.
That means that owners of machines produced prior to July 2021 can install any version of the game code they like. But owners of all machines produced after July 2021 (approx) MUST install V1.08 or newer, which is considered the production gamecode by Stern. These post-July2021 owners can not install any earlier gamecode.
(Side note: I suspect ANY other pinball title currently planned for production will likely have the same situation and require newer gamecode. That means the crew looking for August Jurassic Park machines, Led Zeppelin machines, Elivra or new batches of Mandolorian will also have to use a new version of their gamecode which supports this new node board chipset)

Yes but I was referring specifically to the idea that this code may prevent pinball browser modifications such as cleland and applejuice packages which would make GOTG a LOT less appealing to me.

#5741 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_tagram:

I tried to open 1.08 with pb and nope...
[quoted image]

#5755 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Ok its been a few days now. What is a " Combo"? the default high score on the machine is " KIM " at 15 combos. Can't quite figure that out yet.

If you figure that out please let us know!

#5817 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I had the toppers and just sliced off the honeycomb top from the toppers and away we go.I love the look!
I don’t know how much he is going to charge but they are pretty cool and I know folks have wanted lighted flippers for years,I know I have,there was some guy in Europe or somewhere that did some but I could never get them!
Very simple install.

I'll be curious to see how they hold up, they've broken in every game I've ever bought with transluscent flipper bats.

#5834 2 years ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

There is a detailed list of each mode's rules that I'll link here, but the short version is that in some modes you have to hit the same shots multiple times (like the ramps in Pod Chase) and in other modes if you hit them once then that is it (like in Escape Kyln).
http://tiltforums.com/t/guardians-of-the-galaxy-pinball-rulesheet-wip/3338

That rule sheet is the way to go but it's pretty easy to think of it this way, each mode has at least one "primary" shot that will always be count as a shot in that mode but each also has at least one other shot that will also count. Once you score at least one shot for any mode Upgrade will be lit at the scoop and hitting that will add more shots which will move as you hit them, however the "primary" mode shot(s) will always stay static and count towards the mode. The ramps in pod chase and in Sibling Rivalry, Drax loop in Knowhere, Yondu in Yaka, etc. each corresponds to the main character(s) in that mode.

#5851 2 years ago

Yeah, there should be a pinned PSA on the forum to warn new owners about the downsides of any kind of blades and how to protect them when working on your game.

#5865 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

I think it's a sports term. To spot a shot means to get credit for a shot without actually having to make it. Using a HE charge gives you credit for the most valuable lit shot needed for the mode. I think most modes it also lets you spot the final shot but not in Kiln if Rocket is the final shot, or the hurryup shot to start Orb multiball, double super jackpot in Groot multiball, or super jackpot in CB multiball, according the to the rules I have. HE stacks too, so you can save up as many charges as you can.
In general I save up as many charges as I can and try to only use them to complete a mode or get it at least halfway to avoid losing progress and qualify for Immolation Initiative. I go mostly for HE targets flailing away in a multiball and bank them as long as I can. Which with my current skills usually isn't long, lol!

Unless you changed the settings you can't save H.E.s anymore, you get three when you light it and you have to use all three then hit all the targets again to re-light another three.

#5885 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Man sucks you had to drive that much but at least you got one and you can use clelands sound mod.

Looks like LE on Godzilla will not be had. Unfortunately with distributors charging much more over MSRP, that’s fine with me that I won’t be able to get one. No way paying $12 or $13k for one. Premium will be just fine for me. Hopefully we get an announcement next month.

This market is NUTS, N V T S nuts!

#5895 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

So after doing the washer ( fix ) for the magnet I'm still having some issues I guess? Most of the time the ball will be caught out of the orb shot but after a few games it starts to just kind of slightly fling it. But then randomly catch it again and act " normal". Is everyone's like this? Or is it supposed to catch it every single time?

I'd say mine probably catches it about 65-75% of the time and the rest just kind of changes the trajectory.

#5912 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

So, I'm thinking I have an intermittent short somewhere. At seemingly random times all or most of the lights go off for about a half second. When I first got the machine this always happened when I hit the orb, but now it happens more often when it didn't before and doesn't seem to correlate to hitting anything specific. Sometimes it happens on the plunge, including the Nova Core lights so I don't know which is lit for the skill shot. Sometimes it's just during normal play, shooting a ramp or whatever.
I've gotten an overcurrent error on Node board 9 on startup I think 4 times, twice it's stayed on the error and didn't finish booting, and twice it paused on the error then continued to boot.
I've disconnected most of my mods one at a time, tried turning off the shaker and tested and haven't stopped the problem yet. I found a bad GI socket, the rivet is super loose and the whole socket flops around so I disconnected that for the time being. I'm not sure how to best troubleshoot since if it's a short it seems to not be happening most of the time so checking stuff with a multimeter doesn't seem likely to see the issue since I can't reproduce it on demand. Sometimes it happens a lot in a single game and sometimes I can go a few games without noticing it.
I'm really skittish about damaging node 9 or 8, since replacements for those likely have the new chips and require new code that I want to avoid. I appreciate any ideas for how to troubleshoot this safely.
For a sanity check, I think the original "lights out" when hitting the orb is normal, am I wrong about that? When is it normal for the entire playfield to go dark for just an instant during play?

Is this insert lights, GI or both?

#5916 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

Yes, but mine is having all lights go off for a moment at random times during play or even during attract mode doing nothing. Sometimes it's the entire playfield and sometimes just the upper halfish. Inserts and GI go off for less than a second then come back on. I've had it even happen several times on the plunge right at the moment I need to see which lane insert is lit for the skill shot. I can't make it happen at any particular time, and it didn't happen when I first got the machine.
I'm backing out all my mods on the theory one of them has an intermittent short.

Good idea!

#5923 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

So I found the mod causing my lighting issue, the last thing I expected, of course! It's the PinStadiums. I'm leaving them disconnected for now, the clips were not shorting or loose, and had a lot of clearance with the wires ziptied so it seems there's something the system doesn't like when connecting to those sockets. I'll try some other sockets tomorrow starting with only the GI connected and see how it goes. The game seems so dark now without the PinStadiums, heh. At least now I found what it is so I can work it out.

Don't hesitate to contact Scott at Pinstadium, he's known for excellent customer service.

#5947 2 years ago
Quoted from jstarner79:

Well, I think I discovered the problem with my flipper. My right flipper seems to have a piece broken or missing in the middle of the assembly, either some kind of screw or pin. I'm assuming I just need a brand new part now and there is no easy/quick fix for this. Just sucks as I've only had this machine up and playing for less than a week.
[quoted image]

It is really hard to tell for sure from your picture but it looks like the clamp is loose on the flipper shaft and it has slide off / up, is the flipper bat sticking way up away from the playfield? Can you just loosen it up some more, push it back together and re-tighten the clamp?

#5972 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Still haven’t gotten Cherry bomb after almost a month of ownership . Do you have a certain route you take with the modes? There are a lot of shots I still can’t make and only get them randomly. Best I’ve done so far is 306 million .

My go-to is Yaka Arrow during which I try to lock at least two for either Groot or Orb MB but don't start it, Groot is better because the physical locks send a ball to the pops which count toward the mode. I can almost always finish Yaka on the first ball without having to re-start the mode so once that's over I usually choose Knowhere and then start Groot MB as quickly as possible. Upgrade Knowhere so you have a ton of shots to shoot for while you're working on Groot MB. Next I usually choose Antiquities and try to start Orb MB or at least get two locks down, again I find this mode fairly easy to complete but do sometimes have to restart it if I'm not hitting H.E.s. Once that's completed Pod Chase is my next mode, again upgrading it after a shot or two is important because it adds a LOT of shots that count, this is very helpful during Orb MB which I try to start at this point. That will very often get me to Cherry Bomb being ready if I'm having any kind of a good game at all.

#5993 2 years ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Ok, thanks, mine doesn't start in upright position. Solenoid works, so it isn't engaging possibly to lock it upright to start. I'll have to dig into this one further then
Tim

That could be a feature adjustment in the settings.

1 week later
#6028 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

My takeaway when I first saw that video was that it was an understandable opinion from a viewpoint of change and has plenty of parallels in other product markets. Somebody who has decades of experience maintaining pinball technology with discrete components that can they can troubleshoot and replace individually can easily view a networked integrated modular design as harder to troubleshoot or more expensive to maintain since replacing one bad part may require replacing an entire board instead of just the bad part. That's not necessarily wrong, with the changes in technology come some new skill requirements too.
The newer technologies in Spike 2 have better flexibility, scalability, and reliability. Just like the automotive industry it requires additional skills and tools to maintain a modern car, a few wrenches and elbow grease just isn't enough any more. When fixing a pinball machine requires mainly cleaning, basic mechanical skills and soldering and everything has it's own wire to trace that's pretty different from working with SMT PCBs and a CANBUS network. The upside is that a well-designed modern system should have higher reliability, but it's often fixable when something goes wrong if you have the knowledge and skills. Not everybody skilled in the old technology has applicable skill in newer technology. That's just a side effect of progress.

Since you went the cargument route let me counter with a few points:

Warranty: any new vehicle is going to have at least a 2 year warranty on everything and at least a reasonabl if not robust dealer network to service the vehicle.

Service Options: Car shops, dealers, mechanics, etc. are everywhere, you can even get a free diagnostic read-out why your check engine light is on at Autozones, etc. Contrast that with finding someone to work on your machine if it breaks, doesn't really matter what manufacturer or era or game in 99% of the world you are going to have a tough time finding someone to work on your game much less have choices. Yes the skills of the mechanics working on vehicles has had to evolve greatly the last 20 years or so but there's still a lot of options for service.

It's not a car: at it's core Pinball is a commercial machine intended to make money on location somewhere. The harder it is for operators to service them and get them running again the less likely they are to operate them. Of course if the system really is much more reliable this is a great thing but you'll have a hard time convincing me that Whitestar wasn't INCREDBILY reliable while also being rather easy to service, just as an example. Obviously the tech had to change to support new features but there is no doubt that Stern is still not being as user-serviced friendly as they could / should be with regards to Spike and information about repairing Node boards. This wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying one at all based on what information we do have so far though.

#6030 2 years ago
Quoted from wbloss:

Thank you all for your insight, I'll do a little more research but think I will probably move ahead with purchasing. It's mostly for my wife as she's always wanted one sooo, brownie points!

Well hell, if you have wife approval what are you waiting for?!?!?

#6056 2 years ago

After unboxed for 24 hours, I have to admit I am quite ok with factory 1.08 game code. I probably don’t know what I am missing with some of the custom SDcards, but the factory gamecode seems very complete and authentic to the real movie; music, original sound bites, video/images, etc. Also, the Groot multi ball is pretty amazing! As a family machine, pretty busy, in a good way. And the play field surface itself is nearly flawless which was a concern going into this purchase. (The scoop hole itself has some odd sawdust or something stuck in the clear coat, but a metal protector will cover that).

I'm glad you're enjoying it and I won't try to ruin that by telling you how awesome the Cleland sound package is and where you'd really notice it. Hopefully 1.08 gets the pinball browser treatment soon and you can see for yourself.

#6065 2 years ago

Anyone installed the metal scoop hole protector sold by PBL? Before I jump into it, any issues or things to look for I should know about?

Yep, pretty simple and straight-forward.

2 weeks later
#6136 2 years ago
Quoted from Loganpinball:

3d bends! Ooofa.!

I might be interested depending on the cost.

#6156 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Just joined the club after finding a 2 month old pro, so pretty happy with that. Question, is a shaker a must for this game?
[quoted image]

I don't have one and have never missed it so I'll say no.

1 month later
#6246 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Hope you get a response. haha I suck at that shot also. And the scoop shot which is way to important in this game. When my family plays a lot of times we will get into a place where we cant hit that and are just shooting the ball around the playfield not scoring points. My only complaint on this machine. Other than that its great!

When the family plays make sure you have the game set to select / start a mode at ball launch, that is factory default and makes the game more approchable as that scoop can be rather tough.

1 week later
#6257 2 years ago
Quoted from onyxx:

I purchased a GOTG LE a while back and noticed that the audio quality was poor/hollow compared to my other Sterns. I figured that something was wrong with the original 4" speakers and recently replaced them with Kenwood 5.25" speakers that Stern uses on other LE's and while the audio quality was improved it still sounds pretty bad. I have tried replacing the SD card with clelands audio mod and it sounds just as bad, I have also fiddled around with the customary audio settings and made adjustments according to recommendations in this thread but still have hollow and poor audio. The music is fantastic with the cleland mod but I just can't appreciate properly it because of this audio issue.
Is anyone else experiencing this and do we know of a fix that isn't "replace everything with pinwoofer"? I thought about adding an amp as LE's produced after GOTG all have amps, but I don't know if it will do anything for this sound. Even my Stern pro pins had good enough audio and didn't need pinwoofers in my gameroom setup. I read about Spike 2 CPU boards and audio issues with some builds further back in this thread but I have't seen anyone report back that replacing the Spike 2 CPU board fixed their issue.
The new 1.08 software notes say "Improve backbox and cabinet audio synchronization" but I don't want to upgrade if it doesn't solve this issue as I will lose my possibility to run clelands audiomod, has anyone notised better sound with the 1.08 update?
Any tips on how to solve this issue would be appreciated.

Do you have the same issue with the stock code or just with the Cleland mix? Have you tried the applejuice or any other ones?

#6262 2 years ago
Quoted from onyxx:

Same issue with stock code on a different SD card.

Would love to try it out if someone would share. Please PM me if you have it.

If you have the same issue with the stock code it's not the sound mix, either something is wrong on your machine or you just have too high expectations for it and need to upgrade the system.

#6267 2 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I'm curious if anyone is working on getting pinsound to work on 1.08, does anyone know? It was a major bummer when I got my NIB GOTG and it was unable to run custom audio packages. Still loving this game, just hoping some kind soul is chipping away at a workaround.

PinSound or Pinball Browser or both?? I believe they need to get Pinball Browser to work with it in order or @cleland, applejuice and other to port their sound packages over but I don't follow that topic so I have no idea.

#6288 2 years ago

Here's a question for owners that have had the game for awhile and are running 1.06. I haven't upgraded mine in quite some time because the game plays fine but yesterday I noticed that when selecting a mode it's not showing my state of completion for either multiball, i.e. neither the Groot or Orb MB inserts are flashing or solid even though I had one complete and one started but not complete. I really thought that if you had one completed and three other modes it would enable Cherry Bomb MB but I really haven't been playing any of my pins that much lately due to a move. Is this still the behavior on newer code or is this a bug in the version I'm running?

#6309 2 years ago

LOL, cleland I immediately thought of you when I received the e-mail about this code update last night. Get to work!!!

2 weeks later
#6327 2 years ago

Anyone know if Cleland has a new update for the newest code? I'm an 1.06 with Cleland.

Not yet but it's best to check the dedicated thread for that mod for the most detailed up to date information: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod/page/20#post-6672973

1 month later
#6365 2 years ago
Quoted from CraigJam:

This has probably been mentioned in the past, but in case anyone didn’t know, I just stumbled on a way to beat Escape Kyln without having to hit the tough Rocket shot.
Build up 6 hadron enforcers, start the mission via the scoop, cradle the ball on one of the flippers, use all Hadrons available, the Groot shot is still available as an alternative to the Rocket.
Like I said. Probably already known. But new to me after playing 2000 frickin games on my machine.

How do you get 6 HE built up, I thought it maxed at 3 at a time with the newer code??

#6367 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Anyone know where to get the sign plastic over the scoop, either the original or the mod one?
Mines broken and I just noticed it.

I still have the OG one I replaced with the lit up one, if you need it I'll send it to you just PM me.

1 month later
#6379 2 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

So after only a year of procrastinating.... I've finally installed the sign mod.
It's a great addition and looks amazing.
Shout out to hd60609 for great work[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is a great, subtle but effective mod that does not get the appreciation it deserves, have had mine installed since it was released.

2 weeks later
#6388 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Received a pro model from a friend in a temp trade. I have this and Iron Maiden pro and he has my Avengers and Jurassic pro.
Already got some achievements on Galaxy. I have the 1.06 Cleland code too, and played that for a while first since that's what my friend had installed, while waiting for the 1.09 download and image writing.
I prefer the Stern soundtrack based on the quick comparisons. The custom soundtrack is just too much "changing the radio stations", even with movie dialogue off and the speech attenuation low (meaning 15, not -15).
Looking forward to making my own version after playing a bit though. Any owners with ideas, let me know.

The voice acting in the Stern code is terrible!

1 week later
#6400 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Hey how long is the warranty on the play field. I just noticed looking at mine as I lean down and look across the top I can see like little dimples in the finish. I haven’t noticed any difference in playing or anything but should I worry about it or what is everyone opinion. Thanks
Oh this may will be a year sense I bought it new.

This is an attempt at humor, right?

#6403 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

I’ve never asked what or anything is covered on my pins. I’ve got 4 n fixing to hopefully be 5. I get it’s funny with people having problems getting things from Stern.
I’m just asking will they do something or not and is there anything warranty on a pin I just couldn’t remember.

Okay, I just found it hard to believe anyone that's ever been on this site haven't read about playfield dimples and the back and forth on the subject. The short answer is that they are normal and definitely not something any manufacturer will do anything about. Enjoy your game and if it's a year old nothing is under warranty anymore.

4 months later
#6639 1 year ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

Nope! Tried on a Stern card, and issues. F*!!!
I'm gonna try to check the power like you suggested, I just don't know why it would work for a few days and then stop. Literally, what happens is:
1) I flash a card, it works
2) Play 30 or so games
3) Turn it on after 3-4 days and it's stuck on an infinite loop
4) Reflash same card
5) Repeat steps 1-3.
Annoying.
I would keep doing it forever if I had to, takes 5 minutes to flash a card....but really sucks losing my scores. Arg
Right now I'm testing with STERN code (1.10 vs Cleland 1.09)....... I want to see if this pattern repeats. So far, it hasn't. But I'm only on day 2 and it usually takes a few days.

Have you tried it with the write protect tab on the card enabled, just curious if something is somehow corrupting it while it's turned off? I'm really not familiar with Spike games but if they have a button-cell battery for time backup perhaps it's low on voltage and corrupting it while turned off?

1 week later
#6654 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

A color DMD is about the only mod that will up the asking price on a pin these days

Agreed but not exactly an option on a Spike / Spike 2 pin.

1 week later
#6669 1 year ago
Quoted from Insane:

I have that one. It seems to be good quality. i just wish i had installed it sooner. I had a small clear delam, right on the left side. the protector doesnt cover all of it...

I have it too and definitely recommend it as I had the same wear starting on the left side of the scoop by the time they released the protector.

1 week later
#6772 1 year ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I’m surprised the new run they didn’t put a protector in here. I thought they started to on the later runs
[quoted image]

That is surprising! Might want to ask your distributor if it was supposed to be on there and if they will send you one.

#6802 1 year ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Do you have a pic of this installed? Did you have to make any mods to it so that it would fit? Was it hard to install?

Here's one I took when I installed the plastic scoop sign mod (which I really like BTW) but the scoop protector itself was a pretty easy install. No modifications necessary and I definitely recommend you install one as soon as possible.

#6807 1 year ago
Quoted from DVDA:

Where can one buy the plastic scoop sign mod?

I bought it from hd60609 but I have no idea if he's still making them now or not.

#6814 1 year ago

He made a batch of them 6 months ago, sold out quickly, but perhaps he might be willing to make another batch of them...

He might as well since Stern just finished a production (possibly last???) run of games that are getting delivered.

#6819 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Got my game today, family is loving it.
One issue that I didn’t see is that the magnet is not grabbing the ball after the orb releases it. The first game it grabbed it every time and then every game since you hear a small thunk like it’s engaging but it’s late or something and it doesn’t touch the ball.

There are two things people have generally had luck doing to fix this, one is to put a flat washer between the magnet and the nut that holds it to the bottom of the playfield so the magnet it held tighter to the PF. The other is adjust level left-to-right and pitch to ensure the ball bounces off the post when exiting the orb lock so that it's pushed more directly over the magnet. There may be some other suggestions in this thread, if you search for magnet you may find them.

#6823 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Thanks I’ll play with the leveling first. Funny thing is the first game where it worked I had not leveled the game yet and it was leaning quite a bit to the right. Then using my electronic leveler I leveled it perfectly. It’s on carpet and on sliders so with a new pin I usually have to level again after a day or two as it settles.

Yeah, if it's leaning right the ball really hits the post on the way down and bounces directly over the magnet. If it's setup pretty steep and completely level right to left the magnet has a tough time pulling the ball over to it.

#6863 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Does anyone know if the guy that was making the wire form ramps still makes them. I’m trying to find it in the thread

I don't think he ever actually produced them because they were too expensive to do the way he wanted to.

Quoted from aaron6920:

I also put the service rails on my GOTG and they are really nice compared to the pegs. I thought maybe the new builds they would include the rails like the other new pros. That is kind of disappointing. I also put on the same scoop protector from pinball life but I will say I have seen a bunch of absolutely played to death guardians on location and never seen wear from the scoop. It is interesting but the scoop on this game doesn't wear much like other games such as RUSH! It is a much easier shot to make with the protector off I find games on location much easier to hit. I think in a home use setting you would not see hardly any wear on it. Congrats on the game it is a great one

I started seeing scoop wear on the left hand side of mine pretty quickly in home use, unless you only plan on putting a couple hundred games or less on it I would strongly recommend the protector.

#6907 1 year ago
Quoted from king_pin:

I added the scoop protector to my nib from the latest batch after about 20 games without it. I personally don't think the scoop shot is much harder to hit with the protector on. I can still start modes fairly consistently.

Parkshow30 It's a little harder because you don't get as many "cheap" roll-ins but it's certainly not reject-city. The shot is fairly difficult at first but after a couple balls you should be able to hit it pretty consistently with the protector and as already stated you can see the wear starting on yours already. If you wait much longer you'll have a dent or depression and the protector will eventually have that shape in it too after you put it on there. At bare minimum I would put strips of mylar on the edges of that scoop, I have never seen the need for mylar over the magnet area and have never seen a GOTG with wear in that spot.

#6920 1 year ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Lol, if I lived near you, I'd be in for a 12 pack to help bring it in and even put it together and have a few games.
Tim

Hell yeah, nothing like the smell of someone else's brand new game you get to flip!

#6991 1 year ago
Quoted from Stugots:

So, I was on the phone with Stern for over an hour troubleshooting. We unplugged node board 15, same issue. Unplugged each red flasher same issue. We were about to test the flasher between pop bumpers and as I was lifting the playfield in service position it completely fell inside the cabinet.
Honestly all I've done is troubleshooted this thing for the last 3 days and really not sure how I could have allowed it to fall, when I have literally lifted this thing 100 times by now.
I don't recall pulling it over the hump and it falling. I was just trying to lift straight up in service position and as I started to lift the back completely fell through.
I started disconnecting wires in effort to pull it completely out of the cab from the front since I can't lift from the back as the metal sliders are in the way. There is a single grey cord still connected somewhere that goes underneath and to the front but I'm unable to locate it so technically I can't pull it out the front because it's still connected.
I've tried reaching a local dealer in the area and left a VM. At this point I think I just need some help. I feel I'm now making it worse as no telling what damage I have caused with it falling into the cabinet .
With these Mickey Mouse plastic pegs and no rails, it just makes it way worse. Nothing to grab onto.

You might want to try posting your location and see if a friendly local pinsider is willing to stop by to assist you for some beers.

#7006 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

It almost look like all games close to the transition from spike 1-2 have these pegs.

I think they still put the service rails on the Prem and LEs.

#7007 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

on a side note, I am 50 plays into the game and I am not feeling it. lol
If it does not get better in 150 plays more...it's gone.
finding the shots a little 'vanilla' and the uninspiring 'music' is really meh... I played this game before at a friends house and I did enjoy the game there occasionally and I thought I was going to like it more but I am not cliking with it, can't get into it.
I am used to the Elwin and the Elwin code I think... ? Elwin ruined pinball for me, now the bar is too high.
Might be a GOTG for sale soon...

Have you tried either cleland or applejuice (has that one been updated to newer code to suppor the new node boards??) sound mixes, greatly improves the audio experience IMO.

#7074 1 year ago
Quoted from Hadojae:

Had a weird night with my guardians pro, haven’t troubleshot extensively yet, just posting to see if maybe someone has seen a similar issue. Noticed that the groot jaw wasn’t going down but there were balls trying to be kicked out. Removed the balls and noticed that the mechanism was very rough when pulling the jaw down. Cleaned the posts and the sliding action was much nicer, but noticed that the post attached to the motor was spinning quite freely. Attempted to tighten the hex screw, but didn’t seem to have any effect. So I figured I would just disable the groot jaw for the time being and when I did (disabled groot motor, enabled virtual locks) it appears that any couple of switch hits (pops, rollovers, whatever) will trigger groot multiball - good for my scores, but bad for everything else. No interesting switches activated or technician alerts, and everything software wise is set to default. Before digging myself into a deeper hole at the end of a weekend, I took the step of going to sleep before trying to figure it all out tonight. If anyone has experienced similar, would love to hear!

I've never had this issue but my guess would be that when you reinstalled it the optos that register hits to the Jaw are not properly aligned or are loose and vibration is triggering them. You could put game in switch edge test and bang on the pf with your hand to check / correct this.

#7087 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

My nib pro comes today. Can someone DM me the cleland code 1.09 and any instructions?
Do i put the new SD card even before booting the game up the first time? Or do I need to set the game up with original code first?

You can do either, I'd recommend playing some games on stock code first just to make sure there are no issues and so you will REALLY appreciate the cleland code after you swap it in.

#7101 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Ok got my new pro all set up. All seems well but what is the preferred pitch on this game? Im at like 6.7 and you definetly need a perfect hit to get it up the ramps. Maybe not perfect but a decent amount of balls going halfway up the ramps. That to be expected?

I have mine setup about the same as yours, was a bit steeper at one point and never have an issue with an acurrate shot making the ramps all the way.

#7158 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I've been working on an Orb mod with more detail for the GotG Pros. The factory is split just enough for the "stone" that's really just a light on the back bracket to fit between the gap visually, and the gears that you see in the movie are just printed on the sides, adding nothing. So I've widened the gap, added the two levels of gears, and took the liberty of making the stone that lights stick out from the gears more so you could see it better. This is using the existing RGB lighting on the bracket, so no electronics added to achieve this. I need to fine-tune this a bit more, but it should be in the pinmonk store shortly.
A shot from the first movie of the orb:
[quoted image]
And various RGB shots of the mod I've made:

That looks pretty cool, is it just something that will attach to the existing orb rather than replacing the whole thing?

#7160 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Sounds like a bug, what version code are you running?

#7176 1 year ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

So are the call outs on this game the real movie actor voices with the stock game code from Stern? If not, does Chads codes change that along with different music?

OMG, did you not see all the backlash on the "a booble boo boo" voice actor in the Yaku Arrow mode when this game came out? They are not the actual clips, some are okay and some are pretty bad, but cleland mix replaces them with the real thing.

#7190 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Unlikely.
On the Bond stream with Jack Danger, George Lopez made a comment that stuck with me. He was talking about the songs in the game and ones that were too expensive to go after. After he said that he made a comment that the community would figure out a way to get all the songs on the pin anyway. It seemed like he accepted it and invited that to happen.

Weird, I didn't see this guy on that stream, I guess I didn't watch until the end.

George_Lopez (resized).pngGeorge_Lopez (resized).png
#7199 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

I'm shopping for my first new pinball in many years and Guardians of the Galaxy is on my list but they seem scarce around here and I haven't yet been able to try one out. However, there seems to be very little talk about this pin - is there any particular reason? In this (Pro) price range, I'm kind of weighing Guardians against TMNT as two possibilities - if anyone here has both machines and can offer some comparison that would be great. I'd like something that's not too unfriendly as my wife and son are more novice players - our current lineup is Twilight Zone, Attack From Mars, Whitewater, and World Cup Soccer. It should also have enough depth to stay fun in the long run.
Also, what is the difference between the Cleland and Applejuice sound mods?
Thanks!

It got lots of talk and attention when it was released nearly five years ago but like most games people stop talking about it very much after a year or so. The layout is often compared to Mettalica and it is very similar but the games play completely different in my opinion. Even most of the shots feel very different. I think it's a great combo of approachable but deep and challenging but yes, you shoud play it before buying.

There is a dedicated thread about the sound mods, all the details about what's different between them (and there are variations of some of them) are covered here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod

2 weeks later
#7370 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Kinda bummed on my September 30th build GoTG shooter lane I just discovered. Less than 200 plays (bought nib). The clearcoat chipped at the ball eject landing and is now physically smashing the bare wood down. Currently on hold for Stern support. Any tips on the best way to start a ticket with Stern on this? Pics below. And I was just about to order a pindefender on marketplace. Too late for that. New owners might take note.

I always put down mylar on that area.

1 month later
#7571 1 year ago

Has anyone had the opto on the drop target fail? Stern part number is 520-5252-01 for the opto board but surely this thing should be repairable, right? The opto itself is riveted to the board (thanks Stern) but I could drill that out if I can find the actual replacement opto. I'm sure this thing is used in all sort of Spike games, anyone run into this before?

1 week later
#7620 1 year ago

Finally got my Drop target swith issue resolved but it was bizarre. The opto itself was bad on the Stern board but I didn't have one like that in inventory and my work bench is inacessable at the moment so I went ahead and bought the through-hole version of the board that Pinball Spare parts sells here, it was on sale so saved me even more than buying the Stern version. I installed it, see the LED change state when up versus down and thought - perfect but I like to be sure so I put it in switch tests and it's not registering. I traced the wires back to Node 8 and reseatted the connector - still not working which was odd because shorting out the MOSFET would make the other one register and I can measure the switch line dropping on the new one. I was getting ready to re-seat all the other connectors on Node 8 and it just suddenly started working. I dropped the playfield and the game just kept resetting, right after it runs through all the led pulse sequence. I thought I must have pinched a wire on Node 8 so I raised the PF but there's no indication of an issue there. Now the game won't even boot when I turn it on, just nothing at all - the screen didn't even light up, I opened the backbox, re-inserted the SD Card and everything is now working fine. It's so bizarre because the game hasn't been moved and got played all the time before I noticed the drop not registering. Glad to have it back up and running but damn those ramps give me hell when I haven't played it in a while!

1 week later
#7683 1 year ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Added Rocket City Pinball’s start buttons and coin rejects.

Those are pretty cool, link please!

#7692 1 year ago
Quoted from Meadows22:

I'm having some issues with my orb shot if anyone has any suggestions. Drop target moves freely. Once I trap the ball, the drop target tries to release it but fails. I contacted stern there suggestion was to bend the assembly upwards. Anyways, that didn't do the trick and I do have a space between the drop target and the trip bar. No idea why I can't figure this one out.
[quoted image]

You put the rubber ring on and it still doesn't drop?

1 week later
#7778 1 year ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

cleland does your mod also improve the callouts? It’s a shame how poorly the default mix utilizes the assets… just a mishmash of yelling and noises and seemingly random music. Already on the verge of selling it (newly unboxed)… but will hang tight for 1.11 to save the day.

Shot answer - yes!

#7782 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Where did this mod come from?

I don't know if he is still doing these or not: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/70398

2 weeks later
#7838 1 year ago

Question.... I have an early build GoTG pro model. Not sure what code version, but it came with Cleland sound package installed. I'm wanting to possibly buy the insider connect retrofit kit for it. If I install that, and update to the latest code, will I lose the Cleland sound? If so, can the Cleland sound be installed on the newest code? Thanks!

Short answer is yes and no. The latest code has not been modified, you can run modded code that's a few versions older that has IC but not team mode and some other features. You'll still need to get that modded code from cleland and install it. Here is the dedicated thread covering the sound mods for GOTG?: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod/page/24#post-7400503

3 weeks later
#7883 1 year ago
Quoted from Duster72:

Need some help please!
Yesterday I installed a Pinstadium kit on my machine. I hooked up the UV trigger to the drop target flasher via alligator clips where I also had an aftermarket orb light hooked up. I was careful to make sure the alligator clips were not touching. This caused a Node 9 overcurrent warning. I attempted to troubleshoot this with Scott from Pinstadium and never figured out what was causing the problem. I decided to just forget about it for the time being. Unfortunately after finishing up my installation after a couple of games Groot's opto started malfunctioning. When you shoot a ball in the machine doesn't recognize it. When you turn the machine on it now repeatedly attempts to eject a ball that isn't there and eventually displays "Groot Lockup Device Malfunction."
I would appreciate some troubleshooting suggestions. I don't know if I somehow fried the opto board or the Node 9 board. I was pretty careful when installing the Pinstadium triggers but I could have made a mistake.

I'd try to check to see if the transmitter optos have power to them, you may be able to look at them with your cellphone camera to see if they are glowing or test for DCV on their legs to see if they have power or not.

#7884 1 year ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

Took the board off tonight and had a closer look. Seems like this chip shouldn't be melted. Can't say if this is a result of the root cause failure or if this chip itself was the problem. It is listed as a voltage regulator chip.
Anyone know if this is worth pursuing a repair or is a replacement my only option?
[quoted image]

Just a though but maybe post this in the blog-type thread that ChrisHibler started, it would be great to have on thread on various repairs / issues that we find on these boards. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-node-board-repair-blog

EDIT: Looks like Mouser has those in stock: https://www.mouser.com/c/semiconductors/power-management-ics/voltage-regulators-voltage-controllers/?q=MP24943&b=Monolithic%20Power%20Systems%20%28MPS%29&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk7ugBhDIARIsAGuvgPavMhML5TYkKSUGH7AsBXF

Even if you don't have a hot air station you can usually remove smaller chips like that by solder-blobbing all the legs together on each side and just keep moving the iron tip back and forth until you can pull up the chip with tweezers. Then clean the pads up with a sucker or wick and solder the new one on.

#7886 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Heads up.
This technique (solder blob) might work, but the main obstacle to removing this and other voltage regulators that Stern used is to heat the part sufficiently (either from top/bottom/both) so that the exposed pad on the bottom of the chip releases it's solder joint from the board ground pad. It takes a lot of heat to do that. It's a non-trivial job even when not in that tight of a space.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

I didn't realize that chip had a ground pad under it, thanks for the info!

1 month later
#7974 11 months ago
Quoted from Knackers:

First time getting a ball stuck on this game. Rocket can make things tough enough without grabbing the ball too
[quoted image]

That's why you need a protector under that plastic.

1 week later
#8010 11 months ago

We saw GOTG 3 last weekend, loved it! Not as good as 1 or 2, wish they wouldn't have drug-out the ending so long (not LOTR bad by any means though) but it was funny, action-filled and had a good story-line. Nice way to wrap-up the trilogy.

2 weeks later
#8027 10 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Got lucky and found a NIB Pro delivered late yesterday.
Waiting for my Groot Hands, Pinmonk orb mod and quiet fan.
Only issue I’m having is even with the orb plastic protector getting some wicked airballs off the glass.
Any further adjustment to correct this?
[quoted image]

Install cpr9999 's Orb Plastic protector, it protects the whole plastic, not just the front, and I don't get airballs when using it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.00
$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

252 posts in this topic match your search for posts by bobukcat. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread?tu=bobukcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.