New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 201799)

Guardians of the Galaxy owner's thread

By Blacksun

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,728 posts
  • 477 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Aflacjack
  • Topic is favorited by 176 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,076 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

STERN (resized).jpg
E0207377-6249-4514-971D-C5B912C827DA (resized).jpeg
33A9156B-0A36-42E5-A918-BAB631AF4C9A (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
FFFD2FA3-0B6E-46A8-8932-95F47278C104 (resized).png
AD6F25EB-E583-4EA4-B83D-7AD5648F6AF8 (resized).png
250B05EA-0B0E-46E0-95EC-36B1F58004DA (resized).jpeg
20200816_170332 (resized).jpg
20200816_170409 (resized).jpg
22308F90-2F07-4C91-A8D7-E0C588D0E88E (resized).jpeg
7B386295-BA03-4250-BB34-E05C46036BA3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7360 (resized).jpg
gotg (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
35593A6F-71A8-494B-B725-586A5872A9B7 (resized).jpeg
DSC_2732 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4728 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 95.
#2351 2 years ago
Quoted from murfe88:

I saw these at my local toys r US this morning. I think they were $13.00. Not sure were it could go on the machine. My wife said it look kind of cheesy. I though it looked ok.

I have the file on shapeways to print the real one at 4"

#2352 2 years ago
Quoted from murfe88:

I saw these at my local toys r US this morning. I think they were $13.00. Not sure were it could go on the machine. My wife said it look kind of cheesy. I though it looked ok.

Listen to your wife...

#2353 2 years ago

I want to replace the orb with the movie accurate one. The original is 4" and unfortunately too big for the machine. The original is about 3" and I made these about 3.25" This is what that blue gem will be going in. Most people that self print these just paint them silver and since it's organic it usually looks okay. But I want this to be fairly accurate and pop inside the machine so I tried a paint method that most people don't like doing because it's a finicky process. Anyway I should have these done next week here is a preview.

1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#2354 2 years ago

HELP a brother out?
My GotG PRO is settling in here - 5 days on site.
Unfortunately the techs at Stern deemed it unnecessary to replace the jumper that turns the LED in the upright cabinet on, I suppose they take the jumper so they're not blinded whilst they finish up the work. I've some friends coming over this weekend and want the unit tip top. Right now that pretty glass on the upright cabinet looks so lonely and dark..... booooooo

ON to my request- would anyone be so kind as to check their own back cabinet Node 0 ( the main CPU in the upright cabinet ) and tell me the jumper setting that YOU have at CN15? I've photos below to direct you to the area I'm in need of assistance with. One photo is the whole board, the other shows the jumpers I'm interested in - obviously mine are empty, I'm interested in what YOU have at CN15. I had trouble finding CN15 because its not indicated on the diagram of the board in the manual. For reference its on the left side of the board, just 1.5cm northwest of the CPU/Heatsink; or 1cm southsoutheast of CN7.

I've a call out to the retailer and to Stern but my dad always said, more lines -- more fish.
Many thanks for any help you can provide. Pictures would be fantastic, but beggers can't be choosers.
---------------------
And, yeah, I'm a total noob. First pinball machine I've ever owned.
My kids have totally ignored the xbox since it got here -- worth every penny.

GOTG node0 CN15 (resized).jpgGOTG node0 distant (resized).jpg
#2355 2 years ago

Here you go.

pasted_image (resized).png
#2356 2 years ago

been itching to join club for awhile but it seems its gonna be a bit longer. my distributor told me monday that the pro i ordered a month ago wont be in til end of june now. bummer but worth the wait. first of june then middle of june and now end of june. that factory must be busy with all those maidens i guess.

#2357 2 years ago

I want to buy a Prem/LE within <3 hours of Atlanta. Bueller? Bueller?

#2358 2 years ago

Put in an order for a Pro, hoping to have it in July. can't wait!

#2359 2 years ago

Got word that my Pro might ship on Friday! Woot Woot!!!!

I am so excited I'm like a giddy kid before christmas.

#2360 2 years ago
Quoted from Dad2Five:

My kids have totally ignored the xbox since it got here -- worth every penny.

#2361 2 years ago

well i got some good news 30 mins ago. game is shipping tomorrow. wow. pumped. cant wait.

#2362 2 years ago

My distributor said he received 3 pros, but I leave for vacation tomorrow until July 2nd. D'oh!

#2363 2 years ago

The gem with the tendrils was gonna be too hard to mold so I had to redesign it again. Ordered all the materials, mold started, if I'm not casting by Sun it'll be Sat.

20180621_180524 (resized).jpg20180621_180622 (resized).jpg
#2364 2 years ago

Can anyone direct me to a new replacement orb plastic? Mine cracked on day one before I ordered the protector and I’d like to replace it. Thanks in advance.

#2365 2 years ago

Call Stern directly for a free one 708-354-7700

#2366 2 years ago

Looking like my machine will arrive Tuesday!!!! I can't freaking wait!!!!!

#2367 2 years ago

Anyone else seeing a bug at Groot MB mode start where you can't double-flipper cancel / shorten the video and it even goes into ball search before launching the locked balls from Groot? I've seen it multiple times now, always when there is a mode running and it eats up 15-25 seconds of mode timer in doing so. This is a Pro running 1.01 code.

#2368 2 years ago

I came in today and saw guardians out of order. found that groot had all 6 balls in his mouth... Guess the coil didn't have enough power to push them all out?

got the balls out & played a quick game to test. I haven't played it since the latest code update (1.01 or whatever) is he supposed to spit one ball out then the rest? or all at the same time like he used to? if the latter, then I have a problem.

#2369 2 years ago
Quoted from cartman5579:

Can anyone direct me to a new replacement orb plastic? Mine cracked on day one before I ordered the protector and I’d like to replace it. Thanks in advance.

Just made a new & improved plastic protector!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/65183

06AA3E0B-E962-4827-BF71-C1FE6A138DE1 (resized).png14B844B0-4612-43CD-B015-E3C389DE536F (resized).jpeg5518CD90-45AE-4121-B881-8DE8ACBCCD54 (resized).jpeg
#2370 2 years ago

ok, it is messed up. the coil doesn't have enough strength to push them out. tested the coil it tests out at 4.2 ohms, with is in range of the what it's supposed to be 3.9 ohms.

#2371 2 years ago

2 sets of new orbs printed and painted.

20180624_162409 (resized).jpg20180624_162416 (resized).jpg
#2372 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

ok, it is messed up. the coil doesn't have enough strength to push them out. tested the coil it tests out at 4.2 ohms, with is in range of the what it's supposed to be 3.9 ohms.

never mind, weird....
looks like there was to much friction on the track & plunger-ball-pusher-thing. took it apart and added a small amount of super lube on the track, used it very sparingly so the balls wouldn't get all greasy. Now groot is spitting out balls like I remember.

anyone else have an issue with this thing by chance?

#2373 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Just made a new &amp; improved plastic protector!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/65183

have you made the bicycle girl plastic by chance?
Mine is cracked all over & finally broke off from the screw holding it when I saw it today,
I've seen aftermarket ones but they are probably not very flexible.

#2374 2 years ago
Quoted from UrethraFranklin:

2 sets of new orbs printed and painted.

Look great! Since you have hollowed out the orb could Premium and LE owners use these along with your new stone design?

With the hollowed out centres surely it could close on a 3D printed gem cover? Would look so much better than the single LED shining directly in your eyes.

#2375 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Look great! Since you have hollowed out the orb could Premium and LE owners use these along with your new stone design?
With the hollowed out centres surely it could close on a 3D printed gem cover? Would look so much better than the single LED shining directly in your eyes.

I think I would have to cut off 1 side of the tendrils in order for this to close. I really intended it for the Pros, but I can try. My biggest fear is if it is not installed right and it tries to close and doesn't do so properly it could mess up the motor that closes the orb right?

I am confident we'll get the new orb to work right on the premium, but might have to design a different stone to go in the premium.

#2376 2 years ago

a question...
I'm thinking of selling my pro x-men to buy a guardians of the pro galaxy.
Do you think it's a good change? regards boys

#2377 2 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

a question...

YUP

#2378 2 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

a question...

If you love IM, like I do, you will enjoy GOTG

#2379 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Si amas IM , como yo, disfrutarás GOTG

I have IM....

#2381 2 years ago

GOTG is great. Someone is selling one cheap in STL. Not sure why they don't keep it awhile. Fickle people make Pinsiders happy

#2382 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

GOTG is great. Someone is selling one cheap in STL. Not sure why they don't keep it awhile. Fickle people make Pinsiders happy

How cheap?

#2383 2 years ago

Did a couple maintenance things today and while I had the glass off decided to wipe it clean with a little novus 2 and a novus wipe. Wow did that ever change the gameplay dramatically. It’s now lightning fast, ramps are easier to hit, and my orb magnet, which was working pretty well, all of a sudden grabs the ball super tight every time. My first thought was I must have rubbed off some of the clear coat, but that wouldn’t have been possible as it was just a quick wipe down, then I went over everything with some novus 1 just to clean it up. I highly recommend doing this even though most everyone’s games are newer. Amazed as how much better the game plays. Anyways, rant over.

#2384 2 years ago

Not a rant at all. Thanks for the tips.

#2385 2 years ago
Quoted from cartman5579:

Did a couple maintenance things today and while I had the glass off decided to wipe it clean with a little novus 2 and a novus wipe. Wow did that ever change the gameplay dramatically. It’s not lightning fast, ramps are easier to hit, and my orb magnet, which was working pretty well, all of a sudden grabs the ball super tight every time. My first thought was I must have rubbed off some of the clear coat, but that wouldn’t have been possible as it was just a quick wipe down, then I went over everything with some novus 1 just to clean it up. I highly recommend doing this even though most everyone’s games are newer. Amazed as how much better the game plays. Anyways, rant over.

I’ll still be ready when all your Novus amazement wears off

That is great though. Novus is my middle name.

#2386 2 years ago
Quoted from cartman5579:

Did a couple maintenance things today and while I had the glass off decided to wipe it clean with a little novus 2 and a novus wipe. Wow did that ever change the gameplay dramatically. It’s not lightning fast, ramps are easier to hit, and my orb magnet, which was working pretty well, all of a sudden grabs the ball super tight every time. My first thought was I must have rubbed off some of the clear coat, but that wouldn’t have been possible as it was just a quick wipe down, then I went over everything with some novus 1 just to clean it up. I highly recommend doing this even though most everyone’s games are newer. Amazed as how much better the game plays. Anyways, rant over.

I would hope that you applied some pure Carnauba wax after you sanded the surface with the Novus 2 abrasive treatment!

Continual cleaning with Novus 2 will just remove the clear coat.

It's a rubbing compound not a wax and will not protect the clear coat from fogging.

#2387 2 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I’ll still be ready when all your Novus amazement wears off
That is great though. Novus is my middle name.

Haha, sounds good.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

I would hope that you applied some pure Carnauba wax after you sanded the surface with the Novus 2 abrasive treatment!
Continual cleaning with Novus 2 will just remove the clear coat.
It's a rubbing compound not a wax and will not protect the clear coat from fogging.

Yeah, I know it’s abrasive, but certainly not taking anything off with one quick wipe down. It did pick up a ton of coil dust and oils so was definitely needed.

#2388 2 years ago

Is anyone aware of or taken a video themself of the 3 magnets in action?

The Pro is fantastic but curious now if the Prem is worth the extra, 2 spinners is a little hard to swallow for nearly £1500 difference, obviously the light show is supposed to be awesome on the Prem but how do the 3 magents compare to the Pros 1? Do you get anything like the power in Addams?

#2389 2 years ago

Jajajajajajajajaja

#2390 2 years ago

Public service announcement: try Klasse All-In-One instead of Novus. It’s non-abrasive, cleans great and leaves a nice shine. I clean my rubbers with it too.

amazon.com link »

#2391 2 years ago

I get to officially join the GotG Pro club today.

My game is arriving in a bit and then BadBrick and kneissl are coming over to unbox. Can't. Freaking. Wait.

#2392 2 years ago

Just got the game This weekend. My magnet is not grabbing the ball when it falls out of the drop target. I tried adding some washers underneath but it is still not doing anything. My only thought is that I have my playfield pitched steep and the timing is off.

#2393 2 years ago

My observations... Pro model...

My magnet has only actually "grabbed" the ball a few times, and released it. I assumed it does not grab the ball like Whiplash in Ironman, and hold it before releasing.

It does divert the ball path very frequently and successfully, to my dismay. I thought the diversion and randomness was by design. Also, the latest code does not seem to sling the ball down the left outlane as frequently (to my delight).

#2394 2 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

My magnet has only actually "grabbed" the ball a few times, and released it. I assumed it does not grab the ball like Whiplash in Ironman, and hold it before releasing.
It does divert the ball path very frequently and successfully, to my dismay. I thought the diversion and randomness was by design. Also, the latest code does not seem to sling the ball down the left outlane as frequently (to my delight).

Same experience here on my Pro. Diverting more so than holding.

#2395 2 years ago
Quoted from cartman5579:

Haha, sounds good.

Yeah, I know it’s abrasive, but certainly not taking anything off with one quick wipe down. It did pick up a ton of coil dust and oils so was definitely needed.

Just use Novus 1 for that kind of cleaning.

You would use 2 or 3 on really old games, to get scratches out.

#2396 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Just use Novus 1 for that kind of cleaning.
You would use 2 or 3 on really old games, to get scratches out.

Good advice! I’m gonna try and order some Klasse based on Swampfires recommendation.

#2397 2 years ago

As far as cleaning, I've sorted through vid1900 advice and wiped down the playfield with Naptha (picked it up at Home Depot). The paper towel is unbelievably dirty when done. Then I put a coat of Carnuba on it (Pinballlife). It's worked for me...

blitz_12oz (resized).jpg
#2398 2 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

A few of you said you were interested. I have a couple right now in light blue as I thought this would be the winner. I actually preferred the light green but I will have to have some more of these made.
I can get you a price for just the transparent piece and the bottom light guard (black looks best), if you already have your own matrix parts, light strip and screws (the screws need to be longer for the bottom as it's now thicker than stock).
I can also get an all included price, if you want me to send you everything you need. This will just take a little longer and cost a little more as I have to order parts from Comet.
Any preferences? PM me or post...

I have 10 complete kits ready to go. It will be $40 shipped domestic. I will contact you in the order you contacted me. If you no longer want or need it, no worries. Thanks.

#2399 2 years ago

Thought I'd mess around with an idea. On shapeways you can order in a clear material and I was gonna paint it clear blue. This is so impossible to cast (for me) that the only option might be to order then paint clear. I don't know if it will work but I'll post an update. I think this might look cool in the Iron Maiden as well.

We'll see.

domelight (resized).jpgdomelight2 (resized).jpg
#2400 2 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

Quoted from ATLpb:

Same experience here on my Pro. Diverting more so than holding.

Yep. That’s what I mean. It doesn’t even divert the ball. Just falls down to the right flipper.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Chilton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
There are 4728 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 95.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside