IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0020 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240315_180852874 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315-071752 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,519 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 171.
#1901 5 years ago
Quoted from defonze88:

I have seen alot of posts about magnets my magnet was barely catching I took the magnet out and flipped it around and it works great not sure why that made a difference but it did.

Wait, do you mean you flipped it upside down? Or you just spun it around so that the white sticker moved around a bit. I’ve noticed my magnet isn’t catching that often so I’d like to play around and see if I can get it more involved.

#1902 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

This is definitely Lonnie s best game.

Hasn’t one of the new code guys taken over the game? Which was the reason for the complete 180 in the games rules and modes?

#1903 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I'm sure the changes in .95 have altered playing strategies. I'm very interested in everyone's thoughts regarding mode start order, Multiball timing, qualify vs. finish modes, etc. Here's my general approach. Sometimes it works out; sometimes it doesn't.
Mode preference: Yaka, Sibling, or Antiquities to start. These are relatively easy to finish (especially with an Upgraydd), so they give a 5x shot in Groot. Also, the level 2s for Yaka and Sibling give good points for a single shot. I generally avoid Sanctuary and Kyln unless I'm having a great game and get deep into modes. Sanctuary starts over if you time out, and Kyln makes you hit Rocket to complete (which is a definite loss of ball possibility). Pod and Knowhere, I start when I'm about to go into Groot or Orb. They have a lot of shots to complete, so the added balls help. I like the idea of saving Quill for the fourth mode to finish going into CB. It gives big points (10%), so it's a waste to play it early. I play all modes to completion. If I drain or time out, I start the mode over (even if it's already Immolation qualifed). I don't know if that's good strategy or not...ideas?
Multiball timing: I get Groot ready when there is no mode running. I play with factory settings, so a mode starts at plunge. I play to complete that mode. If I finish it, during the down time I get two locks on Groot. I start another mode and try to complete it. I use HEs to help finish the mode, if I have any. Since we can't stockpile, might as well use them and try to get more in Groot. If the 2nd mode is going rough, I start Groot. If it's going well, I run with it and hold off on Groot. I try to play Orb right after Groot. I then start again, by locking Groot in "no mode" downtime.
Never gotten to Immolation (or close really when I've tried), so that's why I play modes thru to completion. 5 complete has been my max, not counting MBs.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on it (postive and negative), and your own strategies.

First aim is always to get to Cherry Bomb, as that has the potential for good scoring, and is fun, so that means completing 4 modes.
I go for Yaka, Antiquities, Sibling & Pod as first choices.

If I have qualified a mode for Immolation, and then drain or time out, I won't restart that mode, again as Immolation has MASSIVE scoring potential (I just got 1.6 bil from it out of a 2.1 bil score).

Yaka can complete VERY quickly. I've done it before, then drained and the ball save was still running from initial plunge! (site machine)

Antiquities has the benefit of working towards Orb MB.

Sibling is all controlled shots to complete.

Pod is easy to complete in Groot, once you get the upgrade.

Sanctuary I don't have too much of a problem with, with the left orbit being a bail out shot.

Knowhere is easy enough with a MB running, usually 2nd Groot.

Penultimate mode I take is Kyln, I focus on combo'ing ramps to light the bottom inlanes, then lock balls in Groot - as that feeds to the top rollovers after a lock. Then that only leaves the dreaded Rocket shot.

I save Quill for last mode, may as well get maximum potential for the 10% hurry up.

I ALWAYS aim to have a mode running and start ASAP.

I generally only use HEs to complete a mode if time is running out, or I drain, IF using the HEs will complete the mode, or qualify II, otherwise they're a waste. Can also be handy in qualifying the SJ in MBs, even though they can't be used to collect.

I tend to focus mainly on getting to CB, II, and SX, with Groot and Orb MBs as mini goals - that tends to bring the big scores with mode completions and shot multipliers coming as an added bonus.

20180425_133950 (resized).jpg20180425_133950 (resized).jpg

#1904 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

1 magnet for that entire area.

Am I the only one who thinks the magnet on the Pro is pathetic. It does nothing, because of it's location on upper playfield it does very little to affect gameplay. Every once in awhile in multi-ball it will grab a ball and alter it's direction, but that is about it. The Premium/LE looks to be the same way, but just two extra magnets. Compared to Houdini and Ghostbusters, the magnets on GOTG are lack luster at best.

#1905 5 years ago

Beyond frustrated with the reoccurring intermittent weak flipper issues on this game. I have spent countless hours of trial and error toubleshooting, rebuilding flippers, re-rebuilding flippers, unplugging/plugging in connectors to try and eliminate the issue... and still it returns.

Something is flat out wrong with this game software and how it handles the data on these node boards.

I really wish Stern would open up about what the issue is and what is going to be done to fix it! After talking with a junior programmer at TPF he specifically told me that they have found an issue in Lonnie coded games and were working on it. I assumed that meant it would be fixed in 0.95, but the issue persists.

I am too the point of requesting a warranty replacement for this lemon.

Anyone else having issues and narrowed it down at all?

Best I can tell, it seems to become more prevalent after multiple games played in a row, seems to happen specifically when big lights shows are happening, and is intermittent. It is mostly noticed when going for outside shots and you just dont have the flipper power (but then the very next shot it is completely fine).

Intermittent issue like this are the worst! Esp when you have gone through every last thing that support has requested and the game came like this on Day 1.

#1906 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Beyond frustrated with the reoccurring intermittent weak flipper issues on this game. I have spent countless hours of trial and error toubleshooting, rebuilding flippers, re-rebuilding flippers, unplugging/plugging in connectors to try and eliminate the issue... and still it returns.
Something is flat out wrong with this game software and how it handles the data on these node boards.
I really wish Stern would open up about what the issue is and what is going to be done to fix it! After talking with a junior programmer at TPF he specifically told me that they have found an issue in Lonnie coded games and were working on it. I assumed that meant it would be fixed in 0.95, but the issue persists.
Best I can tell, it seems to become more prevalent after multiple games played in a row, seems to happen specifically when big lights shows are happening, and is intermittent. It is mostly noticed when going for outside shots and you just dont have the flipper power (but then the very next shot it is completely fine).
Intermittent issue like this are the worst! Esp when you have gone through every last thing that support has requested and the game came like this on Day 1.

So the junior software programmer told you there's a problem on Lonnies games but you still rebuilt the flippers over and over thinking it would fix the problem? I think you would have been better off mounting a raspberry pi across the flipper solenoids to detect the intermittent fail and fix it then spending time rebuilding the flippers.

#1907 5 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

So the junior software programmer told you there's a problem on Lonnies games but you still rebuilt the flippers over and over thinking it would fix the problem? I think you would have been better off mounting a raspberry pi across the flipper solenoids to detect the intermittent fail and fix it then spending time rebuilding the flippers.

Yes, Stern support had me jump throug every hoop in the book to start.
They still pushed that is "must be mechanical" So I rebuilt flippers.
Then I was told that they had some GOTG go out with "too short of sleeve" so I resleeved
Then told it is the EOS so screw with that.

This thing has been a problem since Day 1 out of the box and beyond frustrated with what would otherwise be a very fun game (good shooter and current code is pretty solid/fun)

#1908 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Am I the only one who thinks the magnet on the Pro is pathetic. It does nothing, because of it's location on upper playfield it does very little to affect gameplay. Every once in awhile in multi-ball it will grab a ball and alter it's direction, but that is about it. The Premium/LE looks to be the same way, but just two extra magnets. Compared to Houdini and Ghostbusters, the magnets on GOTG are lack luster at best.

The magnet's main attraction is to grab the ball when it exits the Orb lock and hold it with a hard grab, before scattering it randomly. For this purpose (when working right), one magnet is fine. The magnet's secondary purpose is to scatter the balls some during Orb multi-ball. For this purpose, 3 magnets would be better.

I'm fine with one magnet for the hard grab. I just want it to work more consistently.

#1909 5 years ago

Not played the latest code, but my son and I put a load of ££ into a machine on location. After going through various starting modes, we settled on starting Quill first to get the 2-ball multi-ball. It seemed like a no-brainer to start with a free multi-ball when you're feeding cash into the machine, but from the fact no-one else does it, I'm guessing we've missed something...

#1910 5 years ago

Here is the current rule sheet from over in the Tilt forums. Good summary!

http://tiltforums.com/t/guardians-of-the-galaxy-pinball-rulesheet-wip/3338

#1911 5 years ago

Any video of the new code?

Any video with the DIY audio packages?

I can't find shit on youtube

Might add a NIB GOTG to my NIB Maiden order once AS gets finished this summer.

Hopefully all 3 are done by mid June. That's when I plan to be an idiot & risk my marriage lol.

#1912 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just a thought ask for a new pcb spike board

#1913 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places or flat out missing them, but there doesn’t seem to be any good quality Prem/LE videos out there showcasing the magnets and the lightshow/Prem and LE code.....

Anyone able to point me in the right direction or maybe a Prem/LE owner able to do a video?

#1914 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just reporting in. No issues with intermittent flippers or the magnet on our Pro. I honestly feel bad for people with issues on new games. Gotta believe it's isolated, meaning that you may have that lemon, but I don't think the game overall is a lemon. Any way to video and post the flippers weakening? Do they just drop? Not react in time? or not have power to make a ramp?

#1915 5 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Just a thought ask for a new pcb spike board

you think it could be the main PCB?

We have swapped node boards (and thought it was better for a short time)

Quoted from hd60609:

Do they just drop? Not react in time? or not have power to make a ramp?

They are intermittently weak. Best way to describe it is that you are flipping at the right time for a ramp shot but the ball comes off late and "umphhhs" halfway up the orbit or ends up in the scoop instead.

It is noticable on shots towards the end of the flipper where you need the power.

#1916 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Compared to Houdini and Ghostbusters, the magnets on GOTG are lack luster at best.

I agree. The GotG magnets (pro or prem) seem to be setup as toys more than gameplay altering. Then again, pull up a "GB vs some other game thread" and see how many people hate the car lifting ability of the GB magna slings.

#1917 5 years ago
Quoted from wonderpuddle:

Wait, do you mean you flipped it upside down? Or you just spun it around so that the white sticker moved around a bit. I’ve noticed my magnet isn’t catching that often so I’d like to play around and see if I can get it more involved.

I unbolted the magnet and flipped it so the sticker was facing the opposite way. I kept the wires in the same place

#1918 5 years ago

In order for magnets to work the best they have to be tight against the wood.
A thin bent washer is useful on the core shaft to create tension and lift the magnet in some cases if tne magnet is low or loose.

#1919 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you think it could be the main PCB?
We have swapped node boards (and thought it was better for a short time)

They are intermittently weak. Best way to describe it is that you are flipping at the right time for a ramp shot but the ball comes off late and "umphhhs" halfway up the orbit or ends up in the scoop instead.
It is noticable on shots towards the end of the flipper where you need the power.

If u have rebuilt your flippers changed knode boards what else is left ? Change the pcb will yeah ? Just makes common sense

#1920 5 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

If u have rebuilt your flippers changed knode boards what else is left ? Change the pcb will yeah ? Just makes common sense

It can be software related, especially if the bus traffic is overwhelming the connection between the main SPIKE 2 board and the node boards. As the SPIKE 2 main board is issuing commands/interrupts onto the network bus if they are sent and/or interpreted incorrectly to the node boards problems like this are very possible.

#1921 5 years ago

So, question:

I haven’t played the last two updates.

Originally, it was Groot all day. (Crazy groot scoring)

Then, it was Orb all day. (Crazy orb scoring)

With the latest code, is everything all balanced out?

I’ve always liked GOTG to play, and would like to get a pro at some stage when it’s all balanced out.

rd

#1922 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

So, question:
I haven’t played the last two updates.
Originally, it was Groot all day. (Crazy groot scoring)
Then, it was Orb all day. (Crazy orb scoring)
With the latest code, is everything all balanced out?
I’ve always liked GOTG to play, and would like to get a pro at some stage when it’s all balanced out.
rd

To blow up the score it's now Cherry Bomb all day .....although to get that you have to complete 4 modes with the help of multiballs to get there.

#1923 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Hasn’t one of the new code guys taken over the game? Which was the reason for the complete 180 in the games rules and modes?

The current code is building on the original code. There are extra missions and tweaked rules. I think the extra coders are helping with the light show, LCD animations, sounds etc. etc. Game is starting to come good. I hope that AS gets the same treatment.

#1924 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

To blow up the score it's now Cherry Bomb all day.....although to get that you have to complete 4 modes with the help of multiballs to get there.

I don't know that you can say "Cherry Bomb all day". As you said, it takes 4 complete modes to make available. That certainly doesn't happen in every one of my games. Also, it's not repeatable. I would counter that with "Immolation all day". Those points dwarf CBMB.

I think the scoring is getting very balanced. The fact that CBMB has big points available is a reward for making it through 4 modes. It's a mini-wizard mode after all. The previous points from Groot and Orb were just unbalanced. They were not difficult to get and could be done over and over and over.

#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I don't know that you can say "Cherry Bomb all day". As you said, it takes 4 complete modes to make available. That certainly doesn't happen in every one of my games. Also, it's not repeatable. I would counter that with "Immolation all day". Those points dwarf CBMB.
I think the scoring is getting very balanced. The fact that CBMB has big points available is a reward for making it through 4 modes. It's a mini-wizard mode after all. The previous points from Groot and Orb were just unbalanced. They were not difficult to get and could be done over and over and over.

Oops, forgot to add the winky smiley face....agree with what you said, it's definitely more balanced than before.....although bonus still doesn't amount to a hill of beans...

#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Oops, forgot to add the winky smiley face....agree with what you said, it's definitely more balanced than before.....although bonus still doesn't amount to a hill of beans...

The bonus is "Sad". This is one machine that I'm pretty aggressive with, because there is no real downside.

#1927 5 years ago

Regarding the magnet position...

I’m a EE, and what’s left in my brain of the year of horrible electromagnetism (E-Mag) courses is telling me that the coil’s rotational position shouldn’t matter. A loop of wire with current going through it induces a B field, right hand rule, full stop.

I hate to say it, but I think we’re dealing with the same issue that Whysnow is having with his flippers. Sometimes weak, sometimes strong. It’s Spike2, it’s the new normal.

#1928 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Regarding the magnet position...
I’m a EE, and what’s left in my brain of the year of horrible electromagnetism (E-Mag) courses is telling me that the coil’s rotational position shouldn’t matter. A loop of wire with current going through it induces a B field, right hand rule, full stop.
I hate to say it, but I think we’re dealing with the same issue that whysnow is having with his flippers. Sometimes weak, sometimes strong. It’s Spike2, it’s the new normal.

Well, that at least means it can be solved programmatically.

#1929 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

The bonus is "Sad". This is one machine that I'm pretty aggressive with, because there is no real downside.

KISS and Aerosmith are the same - sad ass bonus.

I’ve still never figured out how bonus X works on those games. I got 7x on AS the other day so I must have been doing “the thing” ...

rd

#1930 5 years ago

Wait

Does Groot not talk?

FFS he only has one line in 2 movies

Thats like a Rock me Amadeus pinball that never says Rock me Amadeus

Say it ain’t so

#1931 5 years ago

Pfft, you try talking with 3 or 4 balls in your throat.

#1932 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Pfft, you try talking with 3 or 4 balls in your throat.

That's what she said

#1933 5 years ago

Orb Drop Target stop working. Coil corner broke off. Easy fix. I have never seen a broken coil like this. Cheap. It was probably a bad idea to stick a drop Target under plastic. This game is on location and has 1400 plays.

Update: Stern sending a metal bracket to prevent further friction + new coil.
IMG_20180502_193427053 (resized).jpgIMG_20180502_193427053 (resized).jpg

#1934 5 years ago
Quoted from Pfunk237:

Orb Drop Target stop working. Coil corner broke off. Easy fix. I have never seen a broken coil like this. It was probably a bad idea to stick a drop Target under plastic. This game is on location and has 1400 plays.

How did you fix?

#1935 5 years ago

I’ve definitely seen coils broken like that. It’s not cheap, it’s just pinball - things break. Glad Stern took care of you.

#1936 5 years ago

There’s an awesome sound that happens when you light the right outlane save. I’m going to use this sound or something like it for “mode qualified for II”. I’ll find something new for the outlane save sound.

#1937 5 years ago

My plastic protectors from pinball life arrived and waiting on my cliffys. Anyone got any idea when Stern will do the next run of Pros?

#1938 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My plastic protectors from pinball life arrived and waiting on my cliffys. Anyone got any idea when Stern will do the next run of Pros?

I just bought a NIB Pro from Tilt Amusements. Have you checked them to see if they have any in stock?

#1939 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Try backhanding gamora, much safer, I do the same on nebula.. for some reason, the easiest shot I find the hardest .. go figure

Can you backhand both of those consistently on your machine? I've been trying, and it just won't work from a cradle on my machine.

#1940 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Can you backhand both of those consistently on your machine? I've been trying, and it just won't work from a cradle on my machine.

Me neither. It never goes all the way up the Gamora ramp.

#1941 5 years ago

The new topper lighting is really great. Have been having fun with the new code, really enjoying this game. The attract mode is so barren though. . . . really need a good attract idle mode like Star Wars with movie clips and audio playing.

#1942 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Yes, no problem. Unless I dont time it right obviously..

I did adjust my flippers from “droopy” to regular position. So following the Inlane guide instead of dropping down into the outhole. But maybe mine were low to start.. I do know a mm or 2 can make or break a set up

#1943 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Yes, no problem. Unless I dont time it right obviously..
I did adjust my flippers from “droopy” to regular position. So following the Inlane guide instead of dropping down into the outhole. But maybe mine were low to start.. I do know a mm or 2 can make or break a set up

I'll have to take a look at the flippers. I don't know that I would move them, but it might make me feel better if they droop. That way I can blame the flippers instead of myself!

#1944 5 years ago

I’m not going to bed tonight until I reach Immolation. I’ve been 1 mode away 3 times in a row. I wish that holding both flipper buttons in for 10 seconds would end the current mode, so I can start a new one. Timing out modes is tiresome, but necessary to reach II.

#1945 5 years ago

I think I found a bug tonight. I had Yondu lit for double scoring, played a multiball, and when it ended (down to one ball), the shot was unlit! Not cool man, not cool.

#1946 5 years ago

For real.

Does Groot seriously not talk?

So this game's centerpiece toy with a moving mouth really does not talk?

The charm of Groot is the fact he's a fuck'n talking tree... and he's know for repeating the same 3 words over & over.

FFS no way I can buy some shit like that.

Are you guys serious?

Just think if Rudy was silent. Lol

#1947 5 years ago

Now you’re just trollin’, dog.

Wel, I finally got to II and it was like rolling up to Wally World with the gates closed. I only got 56M! You guys with your 1B+ Immolations, geeze.

#1948 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

For real.
The charm of Groot is the fact he's a fuck'n talking tree... and he's know for repeating the same 3 words over & over.
Are you guys serious?

It was true yesterday, and it's still true today. This could be fun though...."it's like (fill in the blank)".

It's like a Three Stooges pin without the "woowoowoo".

#1949 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

For real.
Are you guys serious?

I would certainly love to see I AM GROOT synced up and choreographed into the Groots mech, it was shown doing as such in one of Sterns early teasers.

I am watching GOTG code closely as I really do want to buy this game but as with all Lonnie games I wait it out and see where the game ends up, its certainly shaping up to be a good game now one of the new coder has taken over and done a complete rules overhall its not longer Kiss v.3 and my kids will love the theme, things like Groot talking plus I would like to see Racoon and Groot have a little back and forth like they do in the films, and with custom callouts this is surely possible, stuff like that would certainly make it even better and a must buy.

#1950 5 years ago

Played a GOTG pro the other night with latest code. Game is gettin much better! I REALLY wanted one when these came out in a huge GOTG fan... and man it was a let down. Honestly the game sucked. And it was mostly the code. Playing last night displayed some great progress and was much more fun hope it keeps coming! Such an awesome theme it deserves amazing code

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,495 (Firm)
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.95
$ 28.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,519 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 171.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/39?hl=ochofosho and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.