2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,489 posts
  • 452 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by cleland
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,054 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0147 (resized).jpg
20200607_163010 (resized).jpg
20200607_163005 (resized).jpg
20200607_163005 (resized).jpg
3B9AB31C-4578-4241-AC2A-45C0E9E9B652 (resized).jpeg
135BF785-066E-4066-B744-118D06B2F212 (resized).jpeg
DA71653F-F51D-4004-BAF9-2C08CE21F805 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9806 (resized).jpg
IMG_9807 (resized).jpg
IMG_9805 (resized).jpg
244869DB-3533-4F42-A7FA-E38865BEDD69 (resized).jpeg
D12185B7-0573-47BD-BCCC-4B3191EAEAD5 (resized).jpeg
FB7F3BD1-6036-4CB3-B1F3-4123C6E44473 (resized).png
DSC_0028.JPG
356874C8-AC4A-490D-8F59-1A221BE99C89 (resized).jpeg
2BD6A4D7-13FE-4DF9-A383-D5E27EAE8D8B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4489 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 90.
#1851 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Get the cliffy protector for the shooter lane.

I saw that Pinball life now has an "official" scoop and shooter lane protector. The latter does not protect the clear in the shooter lane though so I still recommend a small piece of mylar there to prevent chipping.

#1852 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

OK, so an update on my magnet situation. I did a factory reset, no change. I did a full re-install of the software with verify on. Everything went smooth, but no change.
So I took the glass off and started playing with the orb lock manually. I noticed that the magnet is still coming on, it's just coming on about a half second late. Not even enough to effect the ball even slightly, just late enough for a clear miss. If I hold my hand over the Magna-Force light (which is below the actual magnet) the ball will drop out of the orb, hit my hand and the magnet catches it like normal.
I wonder if the timing changed with .95, and it's only affecting certain machines (I realize no two are exactly the same).
I think I'll hit Cleland up for a .90 image, and see if it works again under .90.

I also tried the reset a couple times- but no change in the way the magnet is now affecting the ball.

#1853 2 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I also tried the reset a couple times- but no change in the way the magnet is now affecting the ball.

Try loading the "old" .90 or .87 code and see if it returns to it's former state?

#1854 2 years ago

Are there any great detailed vids of the Premium/LE in action? (Similar to the Jack Danger pro vids, or how PAPA vids are...with full steady PF shot, and camera on the display).

I have a lot of questions about the Premium/LE, and how it performs. Would like to see the impact of the extra magnet, and how much of a difference the color changing PF LEDs make.

Thanks for any help, and sorry if this has been covered already...I got about 15-20 pages into the thread and gave up.

#1855 2 years ago

I did a full upgrade from 0.90 to 0.95, with verify turned on. There’s a definite, disappointing change in the magnet’s behavior in 0.95. It only influences the ball slightly when it comes out. It doesn’t grab it any more. The magnet may as well not be there any more. This definitely needs a setting, like with kickout strength.

Quoted from Sinestro:

OK, so an update on my magnet situation. I did a factory reset, no change. I did a full re-install of the software with verify on. Everything went smooth, but no change. So I took the glass off and started playing with the orb lock manually. I noticed that the magnet is still coming on, it's just coming on about a half second late. Not even enough to effect the ball even slightly, just late enough for a clear miss.

#1856 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I did a full upgrade from 0.90 to 0.95, with verify turned on. There’s a definite, disappointing change in the magnet’s behavior in 0.95. It only influences the ball slightly when it comes out. It doesn’t grab it any more. The magnet may as well not be there any more. This definitely needs a setting, like with kickout strength.

For you and sinestro that are experiencing this, are you talking about when you collect the first two orbs or when you release a ball from the Orb shot during Orb MB? I just tested my pro multiple times and it grabs and flings the hell out of it during the first two captures but not much / at all during Orb MB. I honestly don't remember if it's always been that way during MB or if it has changed.

#1857 2 years ago

Not sure if it's code. Might be specific to your machine. The magnet is working fine on our pro. Very active.

#1858 2 years ago

It was during the first 2 Orb releases. WAS. I just played a few games and the magnet is grabbing the ball again. But it’s inconsistent. I’ll keep playing and take better notes.

#1859 2 years ago

Not that you need or asked for it but here is a short video of the magnet action on my Pro running .95.

#1860 2 years ago

So, I got Cleland's .90 image and tried it out, but it still doesn't work under older software, so I went back to .95.

I also lowered the back legs back to 6.5, no luck.

The magnet is definitely working, and if I use my hand to stop the ball roll, the magnet grabs it and behave like the video above. It's working, just firing a split second too late.

The only thing I can figure is that the same night I updated the game to .95, I also wiped the playfield down with Novus 1. Now the game plays like it was waxed, much faster. Perhaps the ball is simply gliding too fast now? It did grab the ball a couple of times today, so that was a nice surprise. Perhaps it's getting dirtied up again and slowing down.

Even if that's that case, Stern should have it fire a bit faster, or have some kind of settings for the magnet fire timing. Different people's games are going to play slightly differently. I hope they accomodate that in the code.

#1861 2 years ago

Here’s what I’m seeing most of the time. A few facts:

1. Changing back to 0.90 didn’t help
2. The magnet and core are both very hot now (after about 8 activations)

#1862 2 years ago

Magnet works fine for me (0.95 pro).

#1863 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here’s what I’m seeing most of the time:
» YouTube video

Is the magnet loose or is it tight against the Playfield?

#1864 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here’s what I’m seeing most of the time. A few facts:
1. Changing back to 0.90 didn’t help
2. The magnet and core are both very hot now (after about 8 activations)
» YouTube video

That's similar to me, although I don't always get that little nudge.

Mine gets warm too if you fire it off a lot. I suspect that's normal.

#1865 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Is the magnet loose or is it tight against the Playfield?

The magnet core is snug up against the playfield. The loop is loose but that shouldn’t matter.

My new theory: it’s the balls. I’m going to put in 6 brand-new carbon core balls and see if anything changes.

#1866 2 years ago

The magnet is definitely working, and if I use my hand to stop the ball roll, the magnet grabs it and behave like the video above.

Same here. Also, I just checked and my playfield is at 7 degrees, a bit steep. I’ll try 6.5 and see if that helps.

#1867 2 years ago

We have been having this frustrating issue with our magnet, but seem to have found the solution / culprit.

Raise the playfield, and rotate the magnet (ours was loose, had slipped and was also not snug against the pf)

The first attempt at rotating the magnet didn’t help, but rotating it a second time, further, so the white label on the rear of the magnet is at the bottom/6’oclock seems to have solved it.

The magnet now grabs the ball out of the orb every time.
We have held the magnet in this orientation with gaffer tape for piece of mind.

Hope this helps!

#1868 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My advice is to put as few mods as possible ....
But really, less is truly more in pinball.
JMHO...

Can i upvote this more than once?

rd

#1869 2 years ago

I tried this, but it didn’t help. I wonder if wedging the loose ring up closer to the playfield would make a difference. I’m willing to try anything at this point. I may even try a new magnet coil.

Quoted from Chief:

We have been having this frustrating issue with our magnet, but seem to have found the solution / culprit.
Raise the playfield, and rotate the magnet (ours was loose, had slipped and was also not snug against the pf)
The first attempt at rotating the magnet didn’t help, but rotating it a second time, further, so the white label on the rear of the magnet is at the bottom/6’oclock seems to have solved it.
The magnet now grabs the ball out of the orb every time.
We have held the magnet in this orientation with gaffer tape for piece of mind.
Hope this helps!

#1870 2 years ago

When Groot multiball starts and he kicks out 3 balls at the first one ALWAYS goes SDTM.

#1871 2 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Are there any great detailed vids of the Premium/LE in action? (Similar to the Jack Danger pro vids, or how PAPA vids are...with full steady PF shot, and camera on the display).
I have a lot of questions about the Premium/LE, and how it performs. Would like to see the impact of the extra magnet, and how much of a difference the color changing PF LEDs make.
Thanks for any help, and sorry if this has been covered already...I got about 15-20 pages into the thread and gave up.

The 3 magnets work really well...sorry for having no video of it. After owning the LE since day 1, I can't imagine downgrading to the pro with 1 magnet.

Early code on this video, but you can see the color changers in action. The light show definitely looks better with the newer code:

#1872 2 years ago

At this point, I’m 95% convinced that the “magnet issue” is just one of timing and ball travel. If I nudge just as the ball is coming out, it does the magnet hang/fling thing. I’ll stop obsessing about this and get back to enjoying the game.

I had a 50M+ Yondu2 just now. I think I had the shot doubler going. I kind of like these “1-shot super” modes (the other being Quill). It reminds me of Do or Die on IM.

#1873 2 years ago

I tried wedging the magnet in place with a couple of foam spacers, but I cannot recommend it.I got about 4 hard captures on the magnet , and then right back to just a push as it drops out of the orb.I have taken the magnet out to cool as the thermal overload dropped power to the coil- guess I tried too many times. Still pondering this one- I have the playfield at the steepest angle possible and will decrease it, but not overly optimistic it will c affect the magnet.

#1874 2 years ago

I removed the bracket and rotated it 180 degrees. Still no change. Grabs sometimes, others nothing.

Rotated it back and replaced the Stern balls with my stash of new ones. No change.

It's a timing issue, and has to be changed with code. It needs to fire up about a half a second earlier than it is.

Let's all email Stern and let them know we'd like to see this changed.

#1875 2 years ago

new code has some great stuff in it. The topper integration was a nice surprise, thanks Stern!

Looking forward to a real demo loop like SW and some idle button SFX call outs. Some switches still have 0 sfx or feedback like yondu arrow shot if it's not in his mode. Overall good update and looking forward to more.

Also got my baby groot shooter on today.

image1 (resized).jpeg

image2 (resized).jpeg

#1876 2 years ago

Anyone with a prem/le able to do a little video of the current code??

#1877 2 years ago

This game keeps getting better!

#1878 2 years ago

What is a Dead Shot? Is that like a crank it up in metallica where you hit the right ramp them nail the left Yondu/Fuel shot on a combo?

15251051247701922950811 (resized).jpg

#1879 2 years ago

I wondered what that is too.

#1880 2 years ago

A dead shot is one that isn’t lit for anything. If it’s meant to be like Aerosmith, you can only collect 1 “dead shot” from each location. So I always start with a mode with just 1 or 2 shots lit. I don’t think this setting actually works on GOTG. Extra balls seem to be arbitrary.

#1881 2 years ago

Installed the game blade art the other day. The wet method worked pretty well in my opinion.

IMG_1924 (resized).jpg

#1882 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Extra balls seem to be arbitrary.

I agree with this. If someone has the criteria for EBs at factory settings please post it. I can't figure it out from the setting options.

#1883 2 years ago

I thought extra ball was awarded after completing 2 modes...

#1884 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Installed the game blade art the other day. The wet method worked pretty well in my opinion.

Those the official stern ones? Any chance of a few more photos? From what I can see they look great!

#1885 2 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

I thought extra ball was awarded after completing 2 modes...

Qualifying three for immolation I believe (half finishing), starting the multis count toward this as well.

#1886 2 years ago

Hello I picked up a GOTG yesterday and I am having an issue with the orb drop target. When the ball is locked behind the target the target wont drop when it is supposed to. I can see the coil is firing but it doesn't seem to have enough power to pull the target back down. I went though the menu and I don't see an option to increase the power for the little coil that is supposed to pull the target down. The metal piece under the playfield that the coil is supposed to engaged to pull the target done seems a little to far away from the coil so it wont grab it.

Any suggestions ?

#1887 2 years ago

I'm sure the changes in .95 have altered playing strategies. I'm very interested in everyone's thoughts regarding mode start order, Multiball timing, qualify vs. finish modes, etc. Here's my general approach. Sometimes it works out; sometimes it doesn't.

Mode preference: Yaka, Sibling, or Antiquities to start. These are relatively easy to finish (especially with an Upgraydd), so they give a 5x shot in Groot. Also, the level 2s for Yaka and Sibling give good points for a single shot. I generally avoid Sanctuary and Kyln unless I'm having a great game and get deep into modes. Sanctuary starts over if you time out, and Kyln makes you hit Rocket to complete (which is a definite loss of ball possibility). Pod and Knowhere, I start when I'm about to go into Groot or Orb. They have a lot of shots to complete, so the added balls help. I like the idea of saving Quill for the fourth mode to finish going into CB. It gives big points (10%), so it's a waste to play it early. I play all modes to completion. If I drain or time out, I start the mode over (even if it's already Immolation qualifed). I don't know if that's good strategy or not...ideas?

Multiball timing: I get Groot ready when there is no mode running. I play with factory settings, so a mode starts at plunge. I play to complete that mode. If I finish it, during the down time I get two locks on Groot. I start another mode and try to complete it. I use HEs to help finish the mode, if I have any. Since we can't stockpile, might as well use them and try to get more in Groot. If the 2nd mode is going rough, I start Groot. If it's going well, I run with it and hold off on Groot. I try to play Orb right after Groot. I then start again, by locking Groot in "no mode" downtime.

Never gotten to Immolation (or close really when I've tried), so that's why I play modes thru to completion. 5 complete has been my max, not counting MBs.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it (postive and negative), and your own strategies.

#1888 2 years ago
Quoted from murfe88:

Hello I picked up a GOTG yesterday and I am having an issue with the orb drop target. When the ball is locked behind the target the target wont drop when it is supposed to. I can see the coil is firing but it doesn't seem to have enough power to pull the target back down. I went though the menu and I don't see an option to increase the power for the little coil that is supposed to pull the target down. The metal piece under the playfield that the coil is supposed to engaged to pull the target done seems a little to far away from the coil so it wont grab it.
Any suggestions ?

I don’t have a picture. But you want to tighten the shorter spring on the drop target. Same thing happened to mine.

#1889 2 years ago

Is premium a worthy upgrade from pro?

#1890 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I've always been a Premium guy so far, but this time I opted for the Pro. There are only two minor changes from the Pro to Premium that actually affect the ball. 3 magnets instead of 1, and two spinners. Everything else is cosmetic. The main Groot toy is uncompromised, unlike what you usually find in a Pro.

I'll admit, the color changing inserts and GI would be nice, but I could live without the rest. I actually found the arms to block my view. If I had a Premium I would remove them.

One of, if not the, most solid Pros Stern has built, IMO.

#1891 2 years ago

Doesn't the pro have two magnets? One at Ronan's Hammer, and one by the orb?

I could have sworn that while playing the pro, I saw "magnet action" when the ball is in that orb-lane.

#1892 2 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Doesn't the pro have two magnets? One at Ronan's Hammer, and one by the orb?
I could have sworn that while playing the pro, I saw "magnet action" when the ball is in that orb-lane.

1 magnet for that entire area.

#1893 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I think the Premium is definitely worth the cost. Magnets, spinners, lights, arms...

#1894 2 years ago

My strategy is similar to yours. My best game (last night) was 449M, with 6 modes completed. I like leading with Sanctuary because I come out of it with 3 HEs, and I can spot that far right target with the (much easier) left orbit. I try to save my MBs for when I have a super mode running alongside a regular mode. Shot doublers are critical for getting the most out of the super modes.

I finished Quill last night with around 400M on the board, and had Quill lit with a doubler while Rocket was running, so a potential 160M shot. I missed it over and over and finally hit it for 3M. Lol.

Quoted from sethi_i:

I'm sure the changes in .95 have altered playing strategies. I'm very interested in everyone's thoughts regarding mode start order, Multiball timing, qualify vs. finish modes, etc. Here's my general approach. Sometimes it works out; sometimes it doesn't.

#1895 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My strategy is similar to yours. My best game (last night) was 449M, with 6 modes completed. I like leading with Sanctuary because I come out of it with 3 HEs, and I can spot that far right target with the (much easier) left orbit. I try to save my MBs for when I have a super mode running alongside a regular mode. Shot doublers are critical for getting the most out of the super modes.
I finished Quill last night with around 400M on the board, and had Quill lit with a doubler while Rocket was running, so a potential 160M shot. I missed it over and over and finally hit it for 3M. Lol.

That right scoop is a mother of hurry-up shot. I have a hard enough time hitting it from a cradle. In fact, I have a hard time hitting any of these shots consistently. That's why I shy away from Sanctuary. I can't count on the Ronan orbit to bail me out, and I time out too often. That means starting over.

Some of them are getting better, like Nebula and Drax. I can get those most of the time. Gamora drives me crazy....I wish I could add a 1/4" to that ramp opening!!

#1896 2 years ago

Try backhanding gamora, much safer, I do the same on nebula.. for some reason, the easiest shot I find the hardest .. go figure

#1897 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I've always been a Premium guy so far, but this time I opted for the Pro. There are only two minor changes from the Pro to Premium that actually affect the ball. 3 magnets instead of 1, and two spinners. Everything else is cosmetic. The main Groot toy is uncompromised, unlike what you usually find in a Pro.
I'll admit, the color changing inserts and GI would be nice, but I could live without the rest. I actually found the arms to block my view. If I had a Premium I would remove them.
One of, if not the, most solid Pros Stern has built, IMO.

We have removed Groots arms from our LE. We can see the playfield much better and enjoy playing the game a lot more. The light show on the Prem/LE is awesome. I think the 3 magnets are not fully coded yet so we will see what happens. This is definitely Lonnie s best game.

#1898 2 years ago

I’d really love to lift the HE cap from 3 to 9, but then I wouldn’t be able to compare achievements with others. One small change I noticed in 0.95 is that you can’t use HEs to spot shots during super modes, at least not if it’s the only thing going. The HE button goes dark.

#1899 2 years ago

I have seen alot of posts about magnets my magnet was barely catching I took the magnet out and flipped it around and it works great not sure why that made a difference but it did.

#1900 2 years ago

Great Guardians! I hit Immolation Initiative tonight! I was NOT expecting that when I started the game!

I love this Pin!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.95
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
York, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
There are 4489 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 90.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside