IMG_20240128_180259 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240127_094244 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240127_094251 (resized).jpg
IMG_9019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9017 (resized).jpeg
IMG-20231219-WA0011(1) (resized).jpg
IMG-20231219-WA0001 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 141 of 170.
#7001 1 year ago

on a side note, I am 50 plays into the game and I am not feeling it. lol
If it does not get better in 150 plays more...it's gone.

finding the shots a little 'vanilla' and the uninspiring 'music' is really meh... I played this game before at a friends house and I did enjoy the game there occasionally and I thought I was going to like it more but I am not cliking with it, can't get into it.
I am used to the Elwin and the Elwin code I think... ? Elwin ruined pinball for me, now the bar is too high.

Might be a GOTG for sale soon...

#7002 1 year ago

Stern should be ashamed of themselves for those shit ass pegs. What a horrible way to save a couple pennies on a multi-thousand dollar game. It was the first thing I replaced too. Proper rails are much needed.

#7003 1 year ago

New high score, 4.8 billion, played to get to immolation initiative by starting a mode, playing till half way through then worked on getting multiballs ready for the next mode. Got to immolation initiative before getting to cherry bomb. Over 4 billion on Immolation, really poor cherry bomb right after as I was worn out and only had maybe 350 million from that.

634E86D8-F9B3-4AAD-BBD7-37ACC6748EB7 (resized).jpeg634E86D8-F9B3-4AAD-BBD7-37ACC6748EB7 (resized).jpegEA9ED107-F570-4060-A2BB-3F54B2A0DEE0 (resized).jpegEA9ED107-F570-4060-A2BB-3F54B2A0DEE0 (resized).jpeg
#7004 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Stern should be ashamed of themselves for those shit ass pegs. What a horrible way to save a couple pennies on a multi-thousand dollar game. It was the first thing I replaced too. Proper rails are much needed.

It's a 15-minute $50 fix when ordered from PBL, but it just seems wrong in today's enthusiast marketplace. I am sure the accountants and product managers at STERN would calculate that their cost of goods probably goes from $2.00 for the pair of pegs, to $12 for the pair of rails. I guess they are thinking that the $10 increase would translate to $60-$100 in MSRP which actually makes sense from an accounting standpoint, but seems so short sighted in the real-world application of these PRO machines. What tech in their right mind would think the pegs are 'just fine' when working on a machine on route, or at home for that matter?

#7005 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

It's a 15-minute $50 fix when ordered from PBL, but it just seems wrong in today's enthusiast marketplace. I am sure the accountants and product managers at STERN would calculate that their cost of goods probably goes from $2.00 for the pair of pegs, to $12 for the pair of rails. I guess they are thinking that the $10 increase would translate to $60-$100 in MSRP which actually makes sense from an accounting standpoint, but seems so short sighted in the real-world application of these PRO machines. What tech in their right mind would think the pegs are 'just fine' when working on a machine on route, or at home for that matter?

It almost look like all games close to the transition from spike 1-2 have these pegs.

#7006 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

It almost look like all games close to the transition from spike 1-2 have these pegs.

I think they still put the service rails on the Prem and LEs.

#7007 1 year ago

on a side note, I am 50 plays into the game and I am not feeling it. lol
If it does not get better in 150 plays more...it's gone.
finding the shots a little 'vanilla' and the uninspiring 'music' is really meh... I played this game before at a friends house and I did enjoy the game there occasionally and I thought I was going to like it more but I am not cliking with it, can't get into it.
I am used to the Elwin and the Elwin code I think... ? Elwin ruined pinball for me, now the bar is too high.
Might be a GOTG for sale soon...

Have you tried either cleland or applejuice (has that one been updated to newer code to suppor the new node boards??) sound mixes, greatly improves the audio experience IMO.

#7008 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Have you tried either cleland or applejuice (has that one been updated to newer code to suppor the new node boards??) sound mixes, greatly improves the audio experience IMO.

I need to do this before I make a decision. I am not loving the game to be honest. It does get better a little once progression is somewhat advanced but I find it miles away from my IMDN or JP Premium. Elwin is just the best designer for this new era of pins.

That said, I need to give it one more chance with proper code. I have disabled the horrible movie lines (adjustment #55 if anybody is curious) so that I do not have to listed to the horrible acting and poor voice over. but now the game has nearly no callouts.

I do enjoy the music while OUT of the mode, I think it fits the mood of the game better, but as soon as I enter a mode and get the 'movie score' bit, I just want to quit playing after the 2nd mode. Just not a very immersive experience.

So it is not looking great for GOTG in my collection at the moment, lol... I know myself.

How do I get these alternative codes?

#7009 1 year ago

Don't forget to reach out to stern about the topper!!

#7010 1 year ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

Don't forget to reach out to stern about the topper!!

are they making more?

#7011 1 year ago

I need to do this before I make a decision. I am not loving the game to be honest. It does get better a little once progression is somewhat advanced but I find it miles away from my IMDN or JP Premium. Elwin is just the best designer for this new era of pins.
That said, I need to give it one more chance with proper code. I have disabled the horrible movie lines (adjustment #55 if anybody is curious) so that I do not have to listed to the horrible acting and poor voice over. but now the game has nearly no callouts.
I do enjoy the music while OUT of the mode, I think it fits the mood of the game better, but as soon as I enter a mode and get the 'movie score' bit, I just want to quit playing after the 2nd mode. Just not a very immersive experience.
So it is not looking great for GOTG in my collection at the moment, lol... I know myself.

I’m the opposite I love guardians but find jp not doing for me. IMDN is ok.

#7012 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

I’m the opposite I love guardians but find jp not doing for me. IMDN is ok.

Yep everyone has different tastes in pinball which is why we get so many different great games!
JP was my favorite game until I played Guardians at home. I played on location A LOT and really enjoyed it but after having it at home I have to say it’s my favorite game!
Overall Elwin is still my favorite designer, love all his layouts and games, was very close to ordering a Godzilla or Avengers earlier in the year but Guardians having their final run sealed it for me. Also only having 7 games I like that each one is a different designer and they all play very differently.

#7013 1 year ago
Quoted from DVDA:

are they making more?

We are trying to get them to, reach out to them so they can see the demand is there!

#7014 1 year ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

We are trying to get them to, reach out to them so they can see the demand is there!

What does everyone think about the price Stern will put on it? That’s if they even do remake it.

I bought the one from Mezel Mods and it was not even $150 bucks.

I can’t see spending more than $500 to 750 on the official Stern topper for this game! It’s probably going to be $1,000

#7015 1 year ago

PM cleland and ask for the link. Then make a new SD card with his code and replace the one in the backbox with the new one you made.

Note that I think he's still on 1.09, so updating will lose Insider Connected for now.

#7016 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

PM cleland and ask for the link. Then make a new SD card with his code and replace the one in the backbox with the new one you made.
Note that I think he's still on 1.09, so updating will lose Insider Connected for now.

You still get IC, but not "Home Team" features.

#7017 1 year ago
Quoted from mjannusch:

You still get IC, but not "Home Team" features.

ok, I can live with that for now, I mostly want to try the new code to see if I can tolerate the modes a little better. Hoping it turns around because it does look like a great game.... I did not click with Deadpool either, and never will lol soooo ....we will see.

#7018 1 year ago

ok, I can live with that for now, I mostly want to try the new code to see if I can tolerate the modes a little better. Hoping it turns around because it does look like a great game.... I did not click with Deadpool either, and never will lol soooo ....we will see.

Wow u don’t like Deadpool either man that’s a great shooter and just a fantastic fun game to play in my opinion.

#7019 1 year ago

Hi All,

I wanted to post an update on my NIB Sept 2022 GOTG Pro because I think this will be beneficial information to many of you.

So, the culprit to my lights flickering and losing power randomly to the back half of the playfield was caused by node board 9. A local technician came out today with an older GOTG Pro node 9 board from a build that is several years old.

When he put that older node 9 board in my machine, I no longer had issues with the lights flickering and loss of power to back half of playfield.

Now here is the interesting part. With his older node 9 board my magnet would no longer grab the ball. I'm talking 0%. A few times it might have slightly diverted it but not enough to really tell. We tested this over and over again, even during the magnet diagnostic test it just would not grab the ball.

We put my defective node 9 board back in the machine and the light flickering started happening again but now the magnet worked flawless. It would grab the ball hard each time and really hold onto it before it would release.

Absolutely NO adjustments were made to the magnet. This different behavior was all cause by the node 9 board.

Anyway, I just thought many of you might find that interesting because I know the magnet problem has been around for a long time and many of you have had different fixes through the years but at the end of the day the culprit to that entire problem could be your node 9 board and the way it behaves with the magnet.

#7020 1 year ago
Quoted from Stugots:

Hi All,
I wanted to post an update on my NIB Sept 2022 GOTG Pro because I think this will be beneficial information to many of you.
So, the culprit to my lights flickering and losing power randomly to the back half of the playfield was caused by node board 9. A local technician came out today with an older GOTG Pro node 9 board from a build that is several years old.
When he put that older node 9 board in my machine, I no longer had issues with the lights flickering and loss of power to back half of playfield.
Now here is the interesting part. With his older node 9 board my magnet would no longer grab the ball. I'm talking 0%. A few times it might have slightly diverted it but not enough to really tell. We tested this over and over again, even during the magnet diagnostic test it just would not grab the ball.
We put my defective node 9 board back in the machine and the light flickering started happening again but now the magnet worked flawless. It would grab the ball hard each time and really hold onto it before it would release.
Absolutely NO adjustments were made to the magnet. This different behavior was all cause by the node 9 board.
Anyway, I just thought many of you might find that interesting because I know the magnet problem has been around for a long time and many of you have had different fixes through the years but at the end of the day the culprit to that entire problem could be your node 9 board and the way it behaves with the magnet.

Interesting because I was doing some more testing and my magnet will grab the ball really good, but only after the ball has already passed it.
Did some more testing and 100% my magnet is activating too late. I have the game setup so the ball rolls directly over the magnet but it won’t grab it. It’s about a half second too late. If I hold the ball there with my hand or I place a second ball there right afterwards it’s grabs it and whips it around. I’m going to email stern about this and see if there is a fix. The magnet grabbing the ball after orb locks is one of the cooler features of the game and I’d like to have it working.

#7021 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Interesting because I was doing some more testing and my magnet will grab the ball really good, but only after the ball has already passed it.
Did some more testing and 100% my magnet is activating too late. I have the game setup so the ball rolls directly over the magnet but it won’t grab it. It’s about a half second too late. If I hold the ball there with my hand or I place a second ball there right afterwards it’s grabs it and whips it around. I’m going to email stern about this and see if there is a fix. The magnet grabbing the ball after orb locks is one of the cooler features of the game and I’d like to have it working.

Totally agree, it completely changes the game.

I would contact them and have them fix it.

Just swapping node boards today made it an entirely different game.

I made sure Stern was aware of this because if my new replacement node board disables my magnet ability I’m going to request another one.

I want to be sure I get a good board which will make the game play as it was intended.

#7022 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I’m Definitely following this as I also have a new build game and believe that the magnet is late . Really want a fix for this .

#7023 1 year ago
Quoted from autosight780:

I’m Definitely following this as I also have a new build game and believe that the magnet is late . Really want a fix for this .

I emailed them this morning and they created a ticket, I will update when I hear back. You should let them know, if it’s not an isolated incident they might be more likely to do a software patch that would help a lot of people

#7024 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I emailed them this morning and they created a ticket, I will update when I hear back. You should let them know, if it’s not an isolated incident they might be more likely to do a software patch that would help a lot of people

You won't hear back from them, and they aren't going to make the adjustment to the magnet timing. This has been brought up several times in the past with countless tickets and Stern ignores it. Now with GotG at the end of its run, there aren't going to be any more code changes.

At one point I was also convinced it was a magnet timing issue (to the point where I opened a ticket a year ago), but am now no longer in that camp. The magnet timing is fine. Here's my guide from a year ago on how to get the magnet to grab:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/98#post-6043176

#7025 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Yes totally agree. The more people that report this to stern the more likely I think they will patch it.

After my node board fiasco I think most of the problem is due to software/node board.

I’m still waiting for my replacement node board. Turns out stern can’t send it, they emailed me today letting me know

Something about due to the expense of the node board and it has to be submitted by the distributor and then stern will send a new one out.

I reached out to cointaker today hopefully they submitted it. Going to reach out tomorrow and touch base with them.

I just hope I win the node board lottery and get a good one. I’m going to be really pissed off if I receive another defective one.

Really want to play this game!

#7026 1 year ago

this whole magnet thing got me thinking. could it be the magnet is too far from the pf?

#7027 1 year ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

You won't hear back from them, and they aren't going to make the adjustment to the magnet timing. This has been brought up several times in the past with countless tickets and Stern ignores it. Now with GotG at the end of its run, there aren't going to be any more code changes.
At one point I was also convinced it was a magnet timing issue (to the point where I opened a ticket a year ago), but am now no longer in that camp. The magnet timing is fine. Here's my guide from a year ago on how to get the magnet to grab:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/98#post-6043176

Yeah, it’s the magnet timing, I can literally place a ball there and it won’t grab it until after a ball would have past the spot regardless of waxing, playfield pitch, etc, then it will grab for a good 2 count.
I’m also sure they will get back with me, I’ve talked to Stern multiple times and never had them not respond to me. Will they fix it in code? Probably not, but I’m sure they will respond. Between an opto board issue with JP, asking about rules for older out of prosecution games, asking when Guardians is getting on the line, getting Jeremey Packers stuff accidentally sent to my house, etc I’ve always heard back from Stern, I know others have had issues with customer service from them but I have always found them to be very responsive.
I completely believe that what you did fixed it for you, but for my machine it’s for sure timing. The strength of the magnet grab is very strong, but there is just ZERO magnet activation when the ball is passing by initially.

#7028 1 year ago

this whole magnet thing got me thinking. could it be the magnet is too far from the pf?

It’s possible, I did the washer fix and it worked for a bit then completely stopped because it’s activating too late. It grabs really hard now every time, but only after the ball passes, sometimes after it comes down to the flippers and either hits a sling or I flip it will grab it hard on the way back up far after it should have already grabbed and released. It could also be the drop target letting go too early I suppose but it seems in sync with the screen animations.

#7029 1 year ago

Like Mcvetyty mentioned, you need a nice bouncy post rubber on the right side of the orb slot to help slow and bounce the ball over to the magnet properly. Only the Cliffy ones seem to work well, but they kind of wear out quick - so order a few if you decide to try it. Carbon-core balls help as well.

#7030 1 year ago

Like Mcvetyty mentioned, you need a nice bouncy post rubber on the right side of the orb slot to help slow and bounce the ball over to the magnet properly. Only the Cliffy ones seem to work well, but they kind of wear out quick - so order a few if you decide to try it. Carbon-core balls help as well.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/98#post-6043176</blockquote

For those of you modifying your magnet with washers underneath the playfield, adding bigger rubber posts, changing pitch, etc., did you try a different node board 9 first? I know there seems to be so many fixes for the magnet and I just want to throw a new node board into the mix as a potential fix.

I don't know if some of you saw my post from the other day but I have a brand new 2022 build of GOTG Pro. The Node board 9 that came with my game is defective, some sort of short that dims and powers down the back half of the playfield randomly.

Anyway the magnet grabs hard each time it exits the orb (unless the orb gets stuck, I have that issue to unfortunately). During Groot multi ball the magnet diverts the balls in different directions. Whenever the magna force light is lit it grabs the balls and flings them in different directions randomly. Sometimes it pulls the balls and they sort of float for a minute and change trajectory gently and other times you can see them being pushed and spun really fast, its really cool. Pretty much works just like the promotional video of the machine when it was first released. So I figured I got lucky and got a good magnet at least.

However when a tech was out at my house to diagnose the short I have he switched my node board for one he had that came from an older machine to test in order to see if the short was coming from node board 9. So it fixed the short but broke the magnet. It literally worked 0% of the time just from a node board change. Same SD card with factory 1.11 code. Nothing else was touched or modified. The magnet didn't do crap with his node board but it fixed the back half of the playfield shorting out.

We played several games and we were fixated on the magnet and literally trying to get it to grab. During Groot multi ball the balls just all go straight down the middle. It didn't grab at all out of the orb or when magna force was lit. The playfield was warm to the touch however. Even intentionally just taking the balls and putting them over the magnet it just refused to grab them like it did with my node board. My first thought was something shorted out and broke the magnet and now I have to get a new one from Stern along with my other laundry list of items.

When he put my node board back in that came with the machine to my surprise, the magnet was fixed and grabbed the ball hard 100% of the time (unless the orb drop target gets stuck of coarse) but I still have the short where it shuts down the back half of the playfield randomly. I did some more test after he left with the playfield off. Magnet was diverting out of grout multi ball, magna force and of course whenever the orb decides to work when the ball comes out of the orb it will get stuck on the magnet for a few seconds and whip around before being released.

So I'm patiently waiting for a new node board along with some other things. Still trying to get all this BS fixed but the magnet thing is pretty wild that it behaves completely different just from a node board swap. It literally changes the entire dynamic of that game with it not working.

I just find that extremely odd and curious how many others might have switched node board 9 and if they are seeing the same thing I'm seeing? I'm in IT for a living and I've seen odd behavior with computers. Since this node board is pretty much just a computer if these are shitty components then maybe that is the root to all these problems.

I don't know who manufactures Stern's node boards and who designs the software but maybe they need to switch lol. Maybe they could work with Nvidia or AMD for further Pinball machines lol.

#7031 1 year ago

To everyone who is having magnet issues-

Have you waxed the middle of you playfield over the magnet yet?

There is a well documented issue in this thread that the center of the playfield over the magnet needs to be well waxed to work correctly. The magnet activates late because it is trying to snap the ball back and toss it around. If there is too much friction on the playfield, it won’t slide back and doesn’t work right.

Try waxing it well with a quality carnauba wax and see if that fixes your issues.

#7032 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

To everyone who is having magnet issues-
Have you waxed the middle of you playfield over the magnet yet?
There is a well documented issue in this thread that the center of the playfield over the magnet needs to be well waxed to work correctly. The magnet activates late because it is trying to snap the ball back and toss it around. If there is too much friction on the playfield, it won’t slide back and doesn’t work right.
Try waxing it well with a quality carnauba wax and see if that fixes your issues.

I really doubt this is the proper solution. This would be very inadequate for location.

#7033 1 year ago

I really doubt this is the proper solution. This would be very inadequate for location.

I’m sure if you have a weak magnet or it’s not close enough to the playfield to grab waxing would help. 2 reasons why I know this won’t work on every machine.
1. My game will grab a ball in the middle of orb multiball no problem. The ball is moving waaay faster at this point and it has no problem grabbing the ball so speed and friction isn’t what is stopping it from being grabbed when it’s released from the lock.
2. I have played this on location at Disney resorts at 4 different resorts over the years. If you have never played a pin at a Disney resort let me assure you they play like crap and are never waxed. The first couple years these were at the resorts the magnets grabbed the ball every time it came out of the lock. Now that the games have been on location longer and no one maintains them pretty much nothing works except the flippers.

#7034 1 year ago

My recent NIB from the last run, the magnet has worked perfect every time. I am about 100 games in on the machine

#7035 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

My recent NIB from the last run, the magnet has worked perfect every time. I am about 100 games in on the machine

Nice! Hit or miss it seems. Lots of people have had issues with the drop target and have had to do the ring rod but mine has worked perfect every time. I think I’m around 150-175 games in at this point. I do have a chip on playfield now by the left inlane on that middle metal guide. Put some Mylar around it hopefully it won’t get worse. Other than that perfect playfield with no dimples so far. My JP was dimpled up all over the first week but after over a thousand plays hasn’t gotten any worse.

#7036 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Nice! Hit or miss it seems. Lots of people have had issues with the drop target and have had to do the ring rod but mine has worked perfect every time. I think I’m around 150-175 games in at this point. I do have a chip on playfield now by the left inlane on that middle metal guide. Put some Mylar around it hopefully it won’t get worse. Other than that perfect playfield with no dimples so far. My JP was dimpled up all over the first week but after over a thousand plays hasn’t gotten any worse.

I added my own mylar, cut by hand. Lol I am the cricut-man. Did this day one.
Looks like factory and cover the switch hole circumference 100% unlike the factory does.

I recommend doing this.

8FBD15E5-8FDE-4951-892B-55674A33AACA (resized).jpeg8FBD15E5-8FDE-4951-892B-55674A33AACA (resized).jpeg
#7037 1 year ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Ohhh if I could only describe the amount of frustration I've had on this issue. I've tried it all and even things that you won't read on here (like drilling entirely new holes to mount the core at various different angles in an effort to get this to work 100% of the time). After almost 40 hours of dicking around with it, I've gotten it to a place where it will grab it every time, but there's unfortunately not a single fix. It's a culmination of all of these items:
1) Balls: Get yourself some carbon-core balls. They react much more strongly to magnets. I got mine from ball baron.
2) The rubber post next to the chute: This plays a huge part. Order a cliffy blue one from Cliff himself (Don't get from pinball life as they are falsely labeled as Cliffy's but don't bounce as much).
3) Leveling/Pitch: This also plays a big part I've found best success at 6.8 degrees pitch and obviously it needs to be perfectly level left to right. That being said, don't rely on that stupid app people always tout on Pinside. It's worthless. Get yourself an actual digital level: amazon.com link »
4) Waxing: This was the nail in the coffin for me and something that was counter-intuitive to what I suspected for the first 35 hours I messed with this thing.. My finding is that a recently waxed playfield makes the magnet work MUCH better than one that hasn't been waxed in hundreds of plays. In fact, as soon as my magnet starts missing again, the first thing I do is clean/wax the area around it and that does the trick - especially with the carbon-core balls. It grabs those suckers super fast.
Good luck!

Do you have a link or picture for the Cliffy rubber?

#7038 1 year ago

Mine was originally routed and didn't work correctly when I received it. After cleaning and waxing the playfield, it has worked flawlessly. It's a cheep and easy action that anyone can try to see if it works for them in the home environment. I personally take extra care to wax areas on any machine with magnets to prevent premature wear from balls dragging on the surface.

If you see below, others in here have posted this was the fix for their machines as well.

Quoted from mcvetyty:

4) Waxing: This was the nail in the coffin for me and something that was counter-intuitive to what I suspected for the first 35 hours I messed with this thing.. My finding is that a recently waxed playfield makes the magnet work MUCH better than one that hasn't been waxed in hundreds of plays. In fact, as soon as my magnet starts missing again, the first thing I do is clean/wax the area around it and that does the trick - especially with the carbon-core balls. It grabs those suckers super fast.

Quoted from DaddyManD:

Yes did the washer fix too but the true fix for the magnet is to clean and wax the PF.

#7039 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Do you have a link or picture for the Cliffy rubber?

His post sleeves are here: https://www.passionforpinball.com/colorsleeves.htm

#7040 1 year ago

My results have varied from everyone else. My magnet strength depends on node board 9. Has anyone tried replacing node board 9 to fix the magnet?

I posted the other day about a short in my node board 9 from my Sept 2022 build of GOTG Pro. A technician suspected it was node board 9 as he couldn't find a short anywhere else.

He had with him a node board 9 from an earlier build of GOTG Pro, I believe a 2017 build date. When he took my node board out and put his in, voila it fixed the short I was having, however it broke my magnet. It would not grab at all even when placing the ball directly over the magnet. You could feel the playfield getting warm, but it just wouldn't work.

He put my node board back in that came with my machine and the magnet worked 100% of the time. No washers, no waxing the playfield, no mods or anything. Same factory 1.11 code and SD card.

Literally the magnet behavior changed 100% due to swapping out node board 9.

#7041 1 year ago

I agree. There is something else going on here at the electrical level that affects certain machines more than others.
Relying on waxing to make a magnet work seems ludicrous.

Is the same magnet in all models?

#7042 1 year ago
Quoted from Stugots:

My results have varied from everyone else. My magnet strength depends on node board 9. Has anyone tried replacing node board 9 to fix the magnet?
I posted the other day about a short in my node board 9 from my Sept 2022 build of GOTG Pro. A technician suspected it was node board 9 as he couldn't find a short anywhere else.
He had with him a node board 9 from an earlier build of GOTG Pro, I believe a 2017 build date. When he took my node board out and put his in, voila it fixed the short I was having, however it broke my magnet. It would not grab at all even when placing the ball directly over the magnet. You could feel the playfield getting warm, but it just wouldn't work.
He put my node board back in that came with my machine and the magnet worked 100% of the time. No washers, no waxing the playfield, no mods or anything. Same factory 1.11 code and SD card.
Literally the magnet behavior changed 100% due to swapping out node board 9.

It would be worth metering the voltages at the magnet when energized and the playfield is 'getting warm'. I can not correlate the magnet being energized but not being able to capture the ball, unless the voltage applied is not correct. Worth metering it under test menu.

#7043 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

It would be worth metering the voltages at the magnet when energized and the playfield is 'getting warm'. I can not correlate the magnet being energized but not being able to capture the ball, unless the voltage applied is not correct. Worth metering it under test menu.

Thanks for the tip, I don't have a multimeter, but I noticed the tech that was out had one. When he comes back to install my new node board I'll see if he can do that and record the results.

But I will say with my node board that came with the machine that magnet feature is pretty awesome. All the balls will divert to the sides when Groot shoots them out of his mouth to avoid going SDTM. When I get lucky and my orb drop target actually works when the ball releases the magnet grabs it hard for a few seconds, spins it around and releases. When the magna force light is lit the magnet will randomly grab the ball, sometimes push it to either side and I've notice it pulling as well and the ball will kinda stall for a second and then get released. It's so random and works very well.

Then with the other older node board installed my magnet didn't do a thing. I remember getting excited that the short was finally fixed but then I immediately noticed the magnet would not work at all. My first thought was "Oh crap now my magnet is shorted out!". But after putting my defective node board back in the magnet went back to normal.

So, this is why I say it could also be a node board causing the issue since that's how my machine has behaved and surely, I'm not the only one.

Perhaps these node boards are just crap? Not sure who manufactures them? Maybe Stern should work with Nvidia or AMD to manufacture future boards and chips lol!

#7044 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Yeah, it’s the magnet timing, I can literally place a ball there and it won’t grab it until after a ball would have past the spot regardless of waxing, playfield pitch, etc, then it will grab for a good 2 count.
I’m also sure they will get back with me, I’ve talked to Stern multiple times and never had them not respond to me. Will they fix it in code? Probably not, but I’m sure they will respond. Between an opto board issue with JP, asking about rules for older out of prosecution games, asking when Guardians is getting on the line, getting Jeremey Packers stuff accidentally sent to my house, etc I’ve always heard back from Stern, I know others have had issues with customer service from them but I have always found them to be very responsive.
I completely believe that what you did fixed it for you, but for my machine it’s for sure timing. The strength of the magnet grab is very strong, but there is just ZERO magnet activation when the ball is passing by initially.

To be clear, the magnet should NOT activate exactly while the ball is on top of it, that would cause the ball to just stop. The whole point is the magnet pulls the ball towards it so that it spins and goes chaotic. The timing of the magnet seems 'late' because of this.

Record and submit a video of what it's doing and we can take a look. And what is your playfield pitch at? The timing for the magnet to engaged is based on the drop target bouncing the ball UP first, into the orb lane, and then down hitting the post which with enough momentum to knock it left over the magnet. Everything I posted coincides with this action:

1) PF pitch needs to be right so that the ball travel time as it goes up and then back down aligns with magnet activity time.
2) Bounciness of that post rubber needs to be right to knock it over to the magnet.
3) Playfield needs to be waxxed up so that the magnet can suck the ball back towards it and give it that circular momentum its intended to.

#7045 1 year ago

Who sells neon plastic protector sets?

#7046 1 year ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

To be clear, the magnet should NOT activate exactly while the ball is on top of it, that would cause the ball to just stop. The whole point is the magnet pulls the ball towards it so that it spins and goes chaotic. The timing of the magnet seems 'late' because of this.
Record and submit a video of what it's doing and we can take a look. And what is your playfield pitch at? The timing for the magnet to engaged is based on the drop target bouncing the ball UP first, into the orb lane, and then down hitting the post which with enough momentum to knock it left over the magnet. Everything I posted coincides with this action:
1) PF pitch needs to be right so that the ball travel time as it goes up and then back down aligns with magnet activity time.
2) Bounciness of that post rubber needs to be right to knock it over to the magnet.
3) Playfield needs to be waxxed up so that the magnet can suck the ball back towards it and give it that circular momentum its intended to.

Well color me embarrassed I didn’t know that the ball should actually pass it up first. I wrongly assumed it grabbed it and the swinging around part was caused by a pulse or something. Your post makes a lot more sense, sorry.
I was at 7 and I’ve lowered it to various angles between 6.4 and 7, with no change, I think 6.4 was about as low as it would go while staying level in that pet of my basement.
The ball hits the post and travels over the magnet area for sure but can’t say off the top of my head if the drop target makes the ball go up first, I will play around with it all later tonight when I get time, thanks.

#7047 1 year ago

I made a video to help others see how your orb lock and magnet should work. You can see in slow motion that the ball passes the magnet and snaps back.

#7048 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I made a video to help others see how your orb lock and magnet should work. You can see in slow motion that the ball passes the magnet and snaps back.

Pablo got back with me from Stern and recommended I do the washer trick and sent a picture of what it looks like installed. So it seems like the washer trick is an approved move from Stern. I’m going to see if maybe I need another one under there and do the waxing and play with the pitch and level a little more tonight and see what happens.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
“Please take look and verify that the magnet is touching the bottom part of the playfield. See attached picture. Our engineers recommend placing some Flat washers and this should push the magnet UP and closer to the bottom of the playfield and help with the ball capture.”

#7049 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Pablo got back with me from Stern and recommended I do the washer trick and sent a picture of what it looks like installed. So it seems like the washer trick is an approved move from Stern. I’m going to see if maybe I need another one under there and do the waxing and play with the pitch and level a little more tonight and see what happens.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
“Please take look and verify that the magnet is touching the bottom part of the playfield. See attached picture. Our engineers recommend placing some Flat washers and this should push the magnet UP and closer to the bottom of the playfield and help with the ball capture.”

Could you add the pic for others to see?

#7050 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Nice video! The key seems to be proper bounce off the right post rubber so it go towards the magnet. Mine works exactly the same. The level of the game left to right would be critical for this. I am running titan stern posts on my game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coventry, RI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.00
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods
Plastics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 141 of 170.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/141?hl=knackers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.