IMG_20240128_180259 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240127_094244 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240127_094251 (resized).jpg
IMG_9019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9017 (resized).jpeg
IMG-20231219-WA0011(1) (resized).jpg
IMG-20231219-WA0001 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 170.
#6301 2 years ago

And you were just working on 1.08. That sucks.

I wonder if PBB works on 1.09

#6302 2 years ago

Awww, man... sorry Cleland. On the bright side, I don't see one damn thing in that update that interests me. I for one will not be updating and keeping my current Cleland code.

#6303 2 years ago

So other than SIC and minor adjustments, they changed the Groot super to 6.25m instead of 6m. Just enough to make everyone to upgrade but not enough to make a meaningful difference... why?

#6304 2 years ago

“That which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger…”

#6305 2 years ago
Quoted from OhYeahPlayer:

So other than SIC and minor adjustments, they changed the Groot super to 6.25m instead of 6m. Just enough to make everyone to upgrade but not enough to make a meaningful difference... why?

I can’t come up with any reason, legitimate or otherwise to change the groot payout from 6 to 6.25 million. It’s such a small change, and even as a thinly veiled "non" change, it really makes me scratch my head. I can almost hear the engineers talking in the lunch room saying...
"The new code drop is all about insider connect. We need to treat the existing owners with something. Come on guys, surely there must be a new feature that can be added for the non-IC owners, right? (pause) I know, we can change Groot MB payout from 6 to 6.25. Cool right? They will love this!"

WTF?

#6306 2 years ago

And I was just thinking the other day that if only the Groot super was worth 250k more this game would be perfect! If I miss the 350k skillshot it sours the rest of the game knowing that if only the Groot super was worth a tiny bit more I could make it up. They read my mind! It's not the whole 350k but this can take most of the sting out of missing a skillshot and give me something to really shoot for!

Fingers crossed that PB works with 1.09 and we can have all the options.

#6307 2 years ago

Interested to see what the Insider Connect does to the experience. Sticking with the Mudflaps code for now!

#6308 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

And I was just thinking the other day that if only the Groot super was worth 250k more this game would be perfect! If I miss the 350k skillshot it sours the rest of the game knowing that if only the Groot super was worth a tiny bit more I could make it up. They read my mind! It's not the whole 350k but this can take most of the sting out of missing a skillshot and give me something to really shoot for!
Fingers crossed that PB works with 1.09 and we can have all the options.

oh-my-oh-my-indeed (resized).jpgoh-my-oh-my-indeed (resized).jpg
#6309 2 years ago

LOL, cleland I immediately thought of you when I received the e-mail about this code update last night. Get to work!!!

#6310 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I can’t come up with any reason, legitimate or otherwise to change the groot payout from 6 to 6.25 million. It’s such a small change, and even as a thinly veiled "non" change, it really makes me scratch my head. I can almost hear the engineers talking in the lunch room saying...
"The new code drop is all about insider connect. We need to treat the existing owners with something. Come on guys, surely there must be a new feature that can be added for the non-IC owners, right? (pause) I know, we can change Groot MB payout from 6 to 6.25. Cool right? They will love this!"
WTF?

Ugh, it feels like not a "let's treat existing owners with something" but, "let's force at least everyone playing competitively/on location to update code to have the same code as everyone else (including SIC of course), and we'll get to wipe everyone's mods."

I've been hoping for a GOTG code update for a long time, and when this came out I was.... pretty annoyed? Now I either keep "old" code or wipe out my Cleland audio and PB mods. Ugh. Alas.

#6311 2 years ago

Ugh, it feels like not a "let's treat existing owners with something" but, "let's force at least everyone playing competitively/on location to update code to have the same code as everyone else (including SIC of course), and we'll get to wipe everyone's mods."
I've been hoping for a GOTG code update for a long time, and when this came out I was.... pretty annoyed? Now I either keep "old" code or wipe out my Cleland audio and PB mods. Ugh. Alas.

No brainer, keep current code. Unless insider connect is a big deal for ya.

#6312 2 years ago

I hear you, I’m in the same boat. Until I hear some great things I’m leaving behind by not updating, sticking with old.

#6313 2 years ago

Maybe if they actually made Save Xandar a worthy wizard mode it would be worth an upgrade and loss of the sounds but there hasn't been anything substantial since 1.06 to make an upgrade worthwhile.

#6314 2 years ago

I can’t come up with any reason, legitimate or otherwise to change the groot payout from 6 to 6.25 million.

Keeping up with inflation??

#6315 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

Keeping up with inflation??

LOL. Inflation, Good one!

But I think OhYeahPlayer is on to something. By changing the payout in 1.09 ever so slightly, it doesn't materially change the actiual game, but purists in the tourney circles would HAVE TO upgrade ALL OF their machines if they want to have a level playing field of IC and Non-IC machines.

#6316 2 years ago
its-called-pinflation (resized).jpgits-called-pinflation (resized).jpg
#6317 2 years ago

Easy decision. Don't care about insider connect, like game just like it is with the 1.06 Cleland code. I mean really, why do I want to share my mostly embarrassing scores with others through insider?

#6318 2 years ago

Hot dam 8.03 works now with vers 1.08 without corrupting audio! Thanks oga83. I don't think I'm gonna play around with vers 1.09 yet. Just happy to have new tunes

#6319 2 years ago

No se me ocurre ninguna razón, legítima o de otro tipo, para cambiar el pago de groot de 6 a 6,25 millones. Es un cambio tan pequeño, e incluso como un cambio "no" ligeramente velado, realmente me hace rascar la cabeza. Casi puedo escuchar a los ingenieros hablando en el comedor diciendo ...
"La nueva caída de código tiene que ver con la conexión interna. Necesitamos tratar a los propietarios existentes con algo. Vamos, muchachos, seguramente debe haber una nueva característica que pueda ser agregado para los que no tienen IC, ¿verdad? (pausa) Lo sé, podemos cambiar el pago de Groot MB de 6 a 6.25. Genial, ¿verdad? ¡Les encantará esto! "
WTF?

#6321 2 years ago

For those of you that have installed Pinstadium lights, would you mind posting some photos on how you hooked them up and where you connected them?

Also, I purchased the basic lights but when I searched this forum for install pictures, I saw how they looked on the plastic ramps. Would it be worth ordering the NEO lights with the diffuser?

Thanks!
Travis

#6322 2 years ago
Quoted from Photogmkr:

For those of you that have installed Pinstadium lights, would you mind posting some photos on how you hooked them up and where you connected them?
Also, I purchased the basic lights but when I searched this forum for install pictures, I saw how they looked on the plastic ramps. Would it be worth ordering the NEO lights with the diffuser?
Thanks!
Travis

I have the Neo, to me the diffuser is worth it and looks very nice with the plastic ramp returns. I hooked them up per the instructions, nothing unusual. I have the main light connected to a convenient GI bulb so it's on all the time with GI which is pretty much all the time except for the light show that starts modes like Groot Multiball. Orb Multiball I think flashes the GI like a disco when it begins. I have the UV connected to the magnet flasher which isn't excessively used. I tried other flashers but they seemed too distracting to me. The UV LEDs do reflect as dots on the plastics which look fine to me for just the flashers but I personally prefer the even illumination of the diffusers for the GI.

#6323 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Who’s had problems with Groots mouth not opening? What was the problem and how did you fix it!
Can hear motor, but no movement.
Thanks.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Who’s had problems with Groots mouth not opening? What was the problem and how did you fix it!
Can hear motor, but no movement.
Thanks.

I have the same issue on March 2021 machine. Have been trying to get some solution from Stern since Oct. My experience with Stern has been poor. This forum has a lot of expertise and good advice. Best suggestions that I received.
1. Contact Distributor who sold you the machine to assist.
2. Disable the Groot feature from Groot menu. The hits on closed mouth will count toward multi-ball. Having balls launch from bottom instead of from Groot kind of sucks but it is better than nothing. Game is still playable.

My paperwork says the part is Groot Motor Assembly (stripped gear box). Thalia in Customer Service wrote that it is a known problem. Cannot get any response from Parts Department. No idea when / if a part will ship or how to install if it arrives.

Good luck.

#6324 2 years ago
Quoted from TCR2020:

I have the same issue on March 2021 machine. Have been trying to get some solution from Stern since Oct. My experience with Stern has been poor. This forum has a lot of expertise and good advice. Best suggestions that I received.
1. Contact Distributor who sold you the machine to assist.
2. Disable the Groot feature from Groot menu. The hits on closed mouth will count toward multi-ball. Having balls launch from bottom instead of from Groot kind of sucks but it is better than nothing. Game is still playable.
My paperwork says the part is Groot Motor Assembly (stripped gear box). Thalia in Customer Service wrote that it is a known problem. Cannot get any response from Parts Department. No idea when / if a part will ship or how to install if it arrives.
Good luck.

In case this helps… a new motor can be found.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/109#post-6352633

#6325 2 years ago

This post is in regards to the popular orb mod available. I know there have been several posts but I'd like to share my side by side comparisons for anyone else still on the fence.

The mod isn't hard to install buy I did have to remove the right ramp to be able to easily do it (wasn't a big deal, only around 5-6 easy screws).

Looks much better than the original. Worth the price? Hard to say, that's why I ask for this sort of things as Christmas gifts rather than buying myself

20211228_185443 (resized).jpg20211228_185443 (resized).jpg20211228_202318 (resized).jpg20211228_202318 (resized).jpg20211228_211401 (resized).jpg20211228_211401 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6326 2 years ago

Anyone know if Cleland has a new update for the newest code? I'm an 1.06 with Cleland.

#6327 2 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Anyone know if Cleland has a new update for the newest code? I'm an 1.06 with Cleland.

Not yet but it's best to check the dedicated thread for that mod for the most detailed up to date information: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod/page/20#post-6672973

#6328 2 years ago
Quoted from BroMan90:

This post is in regards to the popular orb mod available. I know there have been several posts but I'd like to share my side by side comparisons for anyone else still on the fence.
The mod isn't hard to install buy I did have to remove the right ramp to be able to easily do it (wasn't a big deal, only around 5-6 easy screws).
Looks much better than the original. Worth the price? Hard to say, that's why I ask for this sort of things as Christmas gifts rather than buying myself [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I did the same thing (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/125#post-6591301).

It's slightly smaller than the original, but just looks much nicer.

#6329 2 years ago

Hi All! Fairly new owner of a lightly used pro model chiming in for the first time. This is my first new generation machine (did have an old EM from '71) and I've been playing it quite a bit. Already gave it a light cleaning and wax so it is good as new.

Anyways, the real reason for my post is let you folks know that my orb drop target was not centered in the playfield hole and it was driving me crazy! I removed the drop target to examine and see if I could make any adjustments and to my surprise there was nothing I could do. I did discover that due to the nature of the design, the spring which pulls the target down also pulls it to the side. It is able to pull it to the side because there is quite some play mounting slot of the target itself.

So what did I do? I decided to redesign the small black "shelf" piece that the drop target rests on in the up position. I designed it to have a guide on the spring side so that the target remained perpendicular to the mounting surface throughout its travel up and down. I then 3D printed my design and now the target is mostly centered in the playfield hole!

I am curious to see if anybody else has this same "problem" that bugged me enough to do something about it and wanted to share it with you all! Pictures and descriptions below.

Here is the drop target shown as it came from Stern which was driving me crazy:
PXL_20220106_182204274.NIGHT (resized).jpgPXL_20220106_182204274.NIGHT (resized).jpg

Here you can see the drop target being pulled on an angle towards the spring:
PXL_20220106_202025578 (resized).jpgPXL_20220106_202025578 (resized).jpg

Here is the existing shelf piece (left) next to my redesigned piece (right):
PXL_20220106_213305899 (resized).jpgPXL_20220106_213305899 (resized).jpg

Here is my redesigned shelf piece installed and keeping that target in line:
PXL_20220106_213515779 (resized).jpgPXL_20220106_213515779 (resized).jpg

Here is a closeup of the new piece:
PXL_20220106_213532265 (resized).jpgPXL_20220106_213532265 (resized).jpg

Here is the final result - a mostly centered target!:
PXL_20220106_214022871 (resized).jpgPXL_20220106_214022871 (resized).jpg

#6330 2 years ago
Quoted from SirOneGlove:

Hi All! Fairly new owner of a lightly used pro model chiming in for the first time. This is my first new generation machine (did have an old EM from '71) and I've been playing it quite a bit. Already gave it a light cleaning and wax so it is good as new.
Anyways, the real reason for my post is let you folks know that my orb drop target was not centered in the playfield hole and it was driving me crazy! I removed the drop target to examine and see if I could make any adjustments and to my surprise there was nothing I could do. I did discover that due to the nature of the design, the spring which pulls the target down also pulls it to the side. It is able to pull it to the side because there is quite some play mounting slot of the target itself.
So what did I do? I decided to redesign the small black "shelf" piece that the drop target rests on in the up position. I designed it to have a guide on the spring side so that the target remained perpendicular to the mounting surface throughout its travel up and down. I then 3D printed my design and now the target is mostly centered in the playfield hole!
I am curious to see if anybody else has this same "problem" that bugged me enough to do something about it and wanted to share it with you all! Pictures and descriptions below.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Can't say I have had the problem, but I haven't looked that closely. From your pictures, the two screws that run through the circuit board and through the slots in the plastic blade are supposed to keep everything straight. The washer diameter may actually be an important part of the alignment mechanism too. Could be a design flaw, but it might also be the blade slots are worn (now too wide), or the washer is too small in diameter on your machine due to previous repair. In any case, looks like the alignment bracket can't hurt! Nice work...

#6331 2 years ago
Quoted from SirOneGlove:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

My target is straight, but yeah, that would drive me batshit crazy if it were crooked. Very nice fix!!

#6332 2 years ago
Quoted from SirOneGlove:

That's strange! Mine is a Pro, but the top of the drop target fits perfectly in the entire space in the playfield, it doesn't even have any room to wander left/right at all. There's an even 1/16" or so of gap around it. Looks like they messed up on the hole cut in your playfield, or the drop target plastic not right size. Odd!

Tim

Edit: Ok, looking at a bad pic I have on my phone, I'm seeing a bit more of a gap on mine. Thought it almost fit perfectly, mine does appear to have less gap on left and right than your pics. The drop target plastic is prone to warp, I had to make some custom adjustments for the shelf to get it to properly catch the target due to a warp of the drop target (like a twist to it, was only catching on one side of the shelf, not even on it)

#6333 2 years ago

Can't say I have had the problem, but I haven't looked that closely. From your pictures, the two screws that run through the circuit board and through the slots in the plastic blade are supposed to keep everything straight. The washer diameter may actually be an important part of the alignment mechanism too. Could be a design flaw, but it might also be the blade slots are worn (now too wide), or the washer is too small in diameter on your machine due to previous repair. In any case, looks like the alignment bracket can't hurt! Nice work...

Thanks for insightful reply! You had me thinking that the washers could be the culprit so I checked the manual and the OD of the washer should be 1/2". I just measured the washers on my target assembly and they are the correct size so I guess that rules that possibility out. I think if others do not have this issue then perhaps it could just be the blade slots worn like you said.

Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

My target is straight, but yeah, that would drive me batshit crazy if it were crooked. Very nice fix!!

It sure did drive me nuts! The good news is my fix seems to be holding up and working well with no issues (yet)!

1 week later
#6334 2 years ago

Add Baby Groot shooter today, then got my 1st Billion point game and best game to date. Quills Quest was my last battle. Needed three more shots to complete and start main wizard I'm guessing.

20220117_140919-1 (resized).jpg20220117_140919-1 (resized).jpg20220117_141002_HDR (resized).jpg20220117_141002_HDR (resized).jpg
#6335 2 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Add Baby Groot shooter today, then got my 1st Billion point game and best game to date. Quills Quest was my last battle. Needed three more shots to complete and start main wizard I'm guessing.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m adding groot to from modfather it’s nice. I’ve had this pin sense last may I’ve got it modded heavy n it kicks my butt. I love it a great one. Lol

#6336 2 years ago

Hey has anyone added the spinner set up from pinball life n does it score or what. I was thinking about adding it to mine.

#6337 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Hey has anyone added the spinner set up from pinball life n does it score or what. I was thinking about adding it to mine.

I purchased the spinner for my Pro, ready to do what you are thinking, and then realized that to install it, it would required some cutting to the plastics, a drilled hole in the playfield, and the software does not support it directly, so you'd have to piggy-back off of some other microswitch. In the end, I decided to leave it alone....

#6338 2 years ago

I purchased the spinner for my Pro, ready to do what you are thinking, and then realized that to install it, it would required some cutting to the plastics, a drilled hole in the playfield, and the software does not support it directly, so you'd have to piggy-back off of some other microswitch. In the end, I decided to leave it alone....

I had the same fear, but I braved it and i am glad I did. So far I have only done the left side. I followed the instructions I read somewhere on this forum(it was at least 1 year ago that I did it) and tied it into the left standup target. I used my bench grinder to cut out the notch in the plastic. I was hesitant, but it worked fine.
Good luck

#6339 2 years ago

My GOTG LE came with some damage. Im looking for a replacement full front cabinet decal and right inner art blade if anyone has an extra they can sell
Please PM me
thanks

#6340 2 years ago

God I wish they just would've put spinners on the pro, the only thing missing on the pro is a good spinner rip.

#6341 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

My GOTG LE came with some damage. Im looking for a replacement full front cabinet decal and right inner art blade if anyone has an extra they can sell
Please PM me
thanks

LE stuff will be hard to come by in the wild.
Best to reach out to stern, if you provide pics of damage they may be willing and able to help you out.

#6342 2 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

God I wish they just would've put spinners on the pro, the only thing missing on the pro is a good spinner rip.

That spinner comes in handy when your playing Antiquities (switch hits) and rip the spinner a few time. You can complete that mode fast.

#6343 2 years ago

I have it on the right and some do both ,just sick stern did not include them!

#6344 2 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

LE stuff will be hard to come by in the wild.
Best to reach out to stern, if you provide pics of damage they may be willing and able to help you out.

I would recommend reaching out to a local distributor. I was able to order a single new right side head decal through mine that was unavailable at other through places like Marco.

#6345 2 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

I had the same fear, but I braved it and i am glad I did. So far I have only done the left side. I followed the instructions I read somewhere on this forum(it was at least 1 year ago that I did it) and tied it into the left standup target. I used my bench grinder to cut out the notch in the plastic. I was hesitant, but it worked fine.
Good luck

So does it score or make a sound or what n we’re did you hook it to for power. I’m going to order one. Thanks

#6346 2 years ago

I hooked the switch up to the nearest stand-up target .

#6347 2 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

I hooked the switch up to the nearest stand-up target .

That’s great I got one more question does it make a sound n does it score anything or not. Ill try not to ask anymore questions lol.

Thanks so much.

#6348 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

That’s great I got one more question does it make a sound n does it score anything or not. Ill try not to ask anymore questions lol.
Thanks so much.

The spinner hooked to a stand-up target will generate the same scoring that the stand-up target does. Effectively the software thinks you are hitting the stand-up target over and over again. It's not really getting 'power' from the target, it's just duplicating the contact closures. If the Stand-up target generates a sound when hit, then the spinner would make the same sound. It really is just duplicating the stand-up target function, in spinner format!

( @issy gave me some renewed energy to consider doing this on my machine )

#6349 2 years ago

Managed to complete the game today and rack up 8.19b in the process. The majority of that score was a 5b immolation. Save Xander on the other hand a paltry 500m.

#6350 2 years ago

Would anyone with a Pro mind taking a picture of the upper plastic above the orb shot. The -28 plastic on the rear behind the orb. I took it apart to replace the orb plastic with a heavier version and hooked on pinball orb mod.

My question is there is a black spacer and a gray one for each side on the top plastic -28 marked on it. I know the gray one was on the right side because it had the light lamp on the screw. But the black spacer for the other side is shorter. Is this right? Is the top plastic at an angle? I put it together and thought it was wrong being at an angle like that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 8,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 170.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/127?hl=red-line and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.