IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0020 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240315_180852874 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315-071752 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,519 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 171.
#5351 2 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Anybody have thoughts on ULEK vs laserrific plastic protectors? Early in this thread, someone mentioned that ULEK is acrylic and laserrific is something softer, so the ULEK would break easier. Not sure if anyone else can speak to that, or to the aesthetics of each.
Another question, as I'm about to buy a NIB pro - what do you guys pay for NIB? MSRP?

I have Ulekstore on every one of my games. First thing I buy. Great products and look great too. Buy with confidence!

#5352 2 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Anybody have thoughts on ULEK vs laserrific plastic protectors? Early in this thread, someone mentioned that ULEK is acrylic and laserrific is something softer, so the ULEK would break easier. Not sure if anyone else can speak to that, or to the aesthetics of each.
Another question, as I'm about to buy a NIB pro - what do you guys pay for NIB? MSRP?

I paid $5800 NIB delivered to my door with no tax.

#5353 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I’ve seen $5899 and I’ve seen $5999 lately. Or you could buy a like new one with some cool mods for $5300 from me I bought it nib from Trent at Tilt

Looks like you have a really nice machine! that drive is a deal breaker for me, though. Cheers!

#5354 2 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Looks like you have a really nice machine! that drive is a deal breaker for me, though. Cheers!

Thanks! It would be for me too

#5355 2 years ago
Quoted from BroMan90:

I paid $5800 NIB delivered to my door with no tax.

I paid a bit less than that but from what I understand the discounts are becoming much less now. I was told it would probably be the last time I see a discount like that. If you call around you should be able to get 100 less than msrp shipped.

#5356 2 years ago

I think it might be time to move on from my Prem, but I love this game. Just needed to start Groot again to light Immolation for the second time in the same game!!

#5357 2 years ago

Has anyone else had the issue where Groot is not recognizing the 3rd ball to start multiball? The first 2 balls register no problem but when its time to lock the 3rd it doesn't recognize its in its mouth. Eventually it kicks out the balls after some time but I have to hit another ball in again to start multiball.

#5358 2 years ago
Quoted from JayTeeF:

Has anyone else had the issue where Groot is not recognizing the 3rd ball to start multiball? The first 2 balls register no problem but when its time to lock the 3rd it doesn't recognize its in its mouth. Eventually it kicks out the balls after some time but I have to hit another ball in again to start multiball.

Is this the 1st Groot MB or 2nd.
1st one is a three ball MB, 2nd is a 4 ball MB. if you already ready know that my bad. It had not happened to me. But I've only had my game for a month.

#5359 2 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Is this the 1st Groot MB or 2nd.
1st one is a three ball MB, 2nd is a 4 ball MB. if you already ready know that my bad. It had not happened to me. But I've only had my game for a month.

This is the first Groot MB after hitting 3 balls in.

#5360 2 years ago
Quoted from JayTeeF:

This is the first Groot MB after hitting 3 balls in.

Could be a bad opto. Check on page 15 or run a switch test.
Switch #44 Groot Trough 3
9 - CN13 5 PNK ORG 10 BLK GRY Playfield Opto 9-SW-3 520-7064-00 rx

#5361 2 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Could be a bad opto. Check on page 15 or run a switch test.
Switch #44 Groot Trough 3
9 - CN13 5 PNK ORG 10 BLK GRY Playfield Opto 9-SW-3 520-7064-00 rx

Thanks Spider. Will run through those tests and see what I can find.

1 week later
#5362 2 years ago

This feels like a ridiculous question after having this game for months and playing hundreds of games but...

What exactly triggers Groot's mouth to open? Are there certain states of the game when it can't be triggered?

For the past few days it has been rarely opening. I having been testing switches to try and see if there is a problem and then I started thinking maybe I just don't actually know.

#5363 2 years ago

With default settings, 1 shot opens the mouth for ball lock of second ball. 3rd shot opens mouth again for ball lock of fourth ball. Fifth shot opens mouth for start multiball on 6th shot. In multiball it's closed until you hit it once. Then it opens to store a ball for 30 seconds of double scoring. Hit again to open mouth to store a second ball for triple scoring. Once you sink enough jackpots it opens and closes every few seconds for super duper jackpot needed for save zandar. It's used a lot actually. The wizard modes also use it.

Some modes you can't open it like Quill while 2 ball multiball is in play or when in orb multiball. Most modes allow you to progress towards groot multi though.

If you have changed the difficulty of groot to easy it's like 4 shots to the closed mouth to open it then it stays open to lock 3 balls for multiball. Doesn't seem much easier to me though.

As far as the physical trigger it's the opto right in front of the mouth.

#5364 2 years ago

Good thing I asked, I didn't realize there was an opto right in front of the mouth. I always went into the pops once or twice and then the mouth opened. Hitting groot in the mouth, a closed mouth, has never done anything.

What do you think that is? I am not very experienced in these things. Could the opto be broken from the factory or maybe just misaligned so the pops shakes into tripping? I just did a switch test of the opto and its not working but I can still get the mouth to open occasionally with a lot of bounces in the pops.

#5365 2 years ago
Quoted from cpm_:

Good thing I asked, I didn't realize there was an opto right in front of the mouth. I always went into the pops once or twice and then the mouth opened. Hitting groot in the mouth, a closed mouth, has never done anything.
What do you think that is? I am not very experienced in these things. Could the opto be broken from the factory or maybe just misaligned so the pops shakes into tripping? I just did a switch test of the opto and its not working but I can still get the mouth to open occasionally with a lot of bounces in the pops.

It could certainly be misaligned or you could have a broken wire, also possible it wasn't wired up correctly at the factory if you bought it new and it's never worked. Start by taking the balls out of the game, lifting the playfield and tracing the wires for both optos back. The manual probably doesn't specifiy it so maybe post your pictures and have other owners verify the wiring.

#5366 2 years ago

I'd also send an email to stern support. If it's new it's good to start a dialog with them when you notice the problem. They just sent me parts for mine even though I'm out of warranty.

#5367 2 years ago
Quoted from cpm_:

One of the optos is broken, very thin solder wires there and it can break in a way where it’s still in about the correct spot but doesn’t make contact until the pops vibrate it and then it triggers his mouth open. Happened to me, yours is probably the opto chip on the right since the pops are close enough to vibrate it. Pinball life sells both sides optos about $15 for one and $17 for the other I think, I got a couple of both jic. The right one is easy to get to from above you can pop out one screw and loosen the other and rotate the plastic out of the way then you can get to the opto screws and pull the chip out, wire harness is easy to access from under the pf. Until the parts come in it’s a good time for ppl to practice getting to Cherry Bomb mb at least that’s shag I told ppl in my tavern(;

#5368 2 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I was playing around with it today and it definitely seems like the right opto. My temporary hack is that I left the screws a little loose and now every time the ball hits the left pop groot's mouth opens. I'll try to not get too used to super-easy mode while I'm waiting for a replacement.

#5369 2 years ago

I had a wire come of within 10 plays after unboxing of the opto present at Rocket. Apparently the soldering skills can be improved at stern …

#5370 2 years ago

Plan to finally install cpr9999 orb plastic protector and wondering if I still need the metal piece from stern as I put it back together.
I feel like this metal piece was pretty useless as my original orb plastic cracked anyway.

#5371 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Plan to finally install cpr9999 orb plastic protector and wondering if I still need the metal piece from stern as I put it back together.
I feel like this metal piece was pretty useless as my original orb plastic cracked anyway.

Nope, you do not need metal bracket from Stern.

#5372 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Ty sir!

#5373 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I still need to install mine (months later)

Are there any instructions or just remove what's there and reverse?

Haven't looked and not sure what's there on an le (with the movable orb parts)

#5374 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

The metal protector part was added to later builds of the PRO, after serial #275330. See Service Bulletin #191:

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Stern-SB191.pdf

#5375 2 years ago

My metal protector unfortunately failed on my GOTG that is for sale the plastic protector is definitely needed with the metal crutch

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5376 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

The metal protector part was added to later builds of the PRO, after serial #275330. See Service Bulletin #191:
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Stern-SB191.pdf

Thx, appears mine is a later build with the metal bracket but unfortunately did not help protect as bulletin indicates. cpr9999 protector installed now and ready to go - hope it will do the trick this time.

#5377 2 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I still need to install mine (months later)
Are there any instructions or just remove what's there and reverse?
Haven't looked and not sure what's there on an le (with the movable orb parts)

Take a look at my Ad pictures. But pretty much what you said remove, add protector and reinstall.

#5378 2 years ago
Quoted from Babarr3445:

So I made the change to Cleland mod and noticed a different setting on Groot. I now have to hit the mouth lock three times and then it will open. I then hit the ball in three times to start multiball. I used to hit the mouth lock once, then it would open, and I would hit it in. I would repeat this three times to start multi ball. I know that this is a setting that can be adjusted. Can someone guide me?

Did you ever get the three times to start multiball resolved or find the setting??

Thanks!

#5379 2 years ago
Quoted from austinjw1955:

Did you ever get the three times to start multiball resolved or find the setting??
Thanks!

I believe it's the groot difficulty setting. Standard is hit, lock, hit, lock, hit, multiball. Easy is hit, hit, hit, lock, lock, lock, multiball I think. Not sure it's actually easier. The really easy setting seems to be hit, lock, multiball.

#5380 2 years ago

Finally got my GotG side armor rails in. They look sweet, but now I'm a little boggled. 3 of the 4 original screw holes lined up no problem and it's not going anywhere, but there are 4 new screw hole spots in the armor that would require drilling new holes into the cabinet. Like, umm, I bought the armor to protect it, not drill into the cabinet a few more times.

Now I'm torn if I want to fill in the holes with screws or leave as is.

#5381 2 years ago

What will it hurt?

#5382 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

What will it hurt?

The future of rock and roll!

#5383 2 years ago
Quoted from Rengozu:

Finally got my GotG side armor rails in. They look sweet, but now I'm a little boggled. 3 of the 4 original screw holes lined up no problem and it's not going anywhere, but there are 4 new screw hole spots in the armor that would require drilling new holes into the cabinet. Like, umm, I bought the armor to protect it, not drill into the cabinet a few more times.
Now I'm torn if I want to fill in the holes with screws or leave as is.

Then don't put them in, I didn't on my JP armor and its fine.
You could use a little bit of double stick tape if you are worried about it being loose at the bottom but its pretty rigid.

Where did you find the armor?

#5384 2 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

Where did you find the armor?

Pu-parts still had the Gold and Black armor variants available.

#5385 2 years ago

I hate asking such a simple question but can you adjust the shaker motor strength on guardians pro? I added one but it is really soft! Couldnt find anything on here, the web or the manual.

#5386 2 years ago
Quoted from Nelsonford218:

I hate asking such a simple question but can you adjust the shaker motor strength on guardians pro? I added one but it is really soft! Couldnt find anything on here, the web or the manual.

Yes, there is a setting for the shaker, with three levels. Can't remember what number, but you'll see it if you scroll through...

#5387 2 years ago

Yes, there is a setting for the shaker, with three levels. Can't remember what number, but you'll see it if you scroll through...

I went through it multiple times! Is it possible it's not on the pro since it didnt come with a shaker from the factory?

#5388 2 years ago

I went through it multiple times! Is it possible it's not on the pro since it didnt come with a shaker from the factory?

It’s Feature Adjustment #61 on my Pro.

#5389 2 years ago
Quoted from C-Note:

It’s Feature Adjustment #61 on my Pro.

I do have that, but that is just how often it shakes, not the intensity

#5390 2 years ago

I do have that, but that is just how often it shakes, not the intensity

Go into game specific features - I think it’s towards the end so you can go backwards…

#5391 2 years ago

You can adjust it but its not in any settings menu.
You have to take the cover off the shaker and adjust the weights.

In relation to eachother-
Parallel = most intense
90° = medium
180° = least intense.

#5392 2 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

You can adjust it but its not in any settings menu.
You have to take the cover off the shaker and adjust the weights.
In relation to eachother-
Parallel = most intense
90° = medium
180° = least intense.

Dang, that's how mine are, guess it's just not very strong! Only other one I ever had was on my LAH, it was so strong it about rattled the game apart!

#5393 2 years ago

The shaker I put in my guardians shook constantly and violently. I didn't like it even on minimal settings and adjusted weights. I moved it to a different machine.

#5394 2 years ago

Has anyone started seeing NIB GOTG machines arriving from Stern factory? I have one on order and was told to expect likely delivery of "July". Has anyone seen a recent build GOTG machine arriving recently?

#5395 2 years ago

Has anyone started seeing NIB GOTG machines arriving from Stern factory? I have one on order and was told to expect likely delivery of "July". Has anyone seen a recent build GOTG machine arriving recently?

Sweet that they are still making them.

#5396 2 years ago

Two guys in my league here both got one quite a while ago already. I thought the new run was already done?

#5397 2 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

Two guys in my league here both got one quite a while ago already. I thought the new run was already done?

Just checked with my distributor... July run is still scheduled. I guess some NIB machines will flow in a few weeks.

#5398 2 years ago

I bought a NIB Guardians eight months ago. about six months in, after roughly 2500 plays (my wife loves this game!) started having issues with the Groot mouth. It would try to open and make it part way but not fully open, then repeat. Initially thought it was just switches being bent, but after some troubleshooting it was the motor itself that had failed somehow. It would 'slip' and not make the journey from one switch to the other.

Luckily I was still under warranty from Nitro Pinball, and they ordered a new motor from Stern and even sent a tech to install. The odd thing is that the motor worked fine for over 2000 games, but 2000-3000 games is way to early for a motor to be failing, don't you think?

My wife and I both really like this game. Get the Cleland sound mod if you can, and cool that Stern is doing another run so a bunch more people can own this awesome pin!

#5399 2 years ago

Hi fellow Guardians, I finally put the lit Orb Drop Target mod into its own thread so anyone can access the instructions whenever, enjoy!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-orb-drop-target-mod#post-6352469

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 1.58.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-25 at 1.58.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-25 at 1.58.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-25 at 1.58.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-25 at 1.59.15 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-25 at 1.59.15 PM (resized).png
#5400 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHomeBrew:

I bought a NIB Guardians eight months ago. about six months in, after roughly 2500 plays (my wife loves this game!) started having issues with the Groot mouth. It would try to open and make it part way but not fully open, then repeat. Initially thought it was just switches being bent, but after some troubleshooting it was the motor itself that had failed somehow. It would 'slip' and not make the journey from one switch to the other.
Luckily I was still under warranty from Nitro Pinball, and they ordered a new motor from Stern and even sent a tech to install. The odd thing is that the motor worked fine for over 2000 games, but 2000-3000 games is way to early for a motor to be failing, don't you think?
My wife and I both really like this game. Get the Cleland sound mod if you can, and cool that Stern is doing another run so a bunch more people can own this awesome pin!

Mine was doing the same thing. Stern sent me a new motor to fix it as well and I had about 2k games on mine. Got it in late November. Pretty sure it's the gearbox that went. Stern support has been great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,495 (Firm)
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dow, IL
$ 19.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 8,519 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 171.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/108 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.