New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 203993)

Guardians of the Galaxy - **Milano Throttle Shooter*

By swinks

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by J85M
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

M-Shooter 5 (resized).png
M-Shooter 4 (resized).png
M-Shooter 3 (resized).png
M-Shooter 2 (resized).png
M-Shooter 1 (resized).png
distance to lockdown 2 (resized).png
distance to lockdown (resized).png
Snackbar Mod v2.2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Guardians shooter.gif
seat 3 (resized).png
Angle Profile (resized).png
Side Profile (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

Well Guardians is a theme that I really want but hanging back a little until more code comes along. Even though I have a heap of projects to do I still get bored and sometimes need thinking time so I jump onto other projects for stimulation. I had an idea to take a regular Stern shooter and customise it with a mechanical operating Milano Throttle Shooter.

obviously still have to dress it up but this is just the mechanics of the design and it allows the plunger to come out over the standard 2 inches for a full powered plunge shot. The handle may just be a little higher (few millimetres) than the lock down bar which to some might be a negative but I will see how the design goes and make a proto and test it. If people like it I might do a limited run as a bolt in plug and play kit.

So help me with comments, feedback, fun and join in on the journey of designing a mod. (Dam I was going to do a poll but stuffed up unless someone can tell me how to add it)

norcalrealtor kindly reminded me in another thread to consider being able to slide the glass off - I had a "DOH" moment but then a quick idea is to design in a locking pin - so extend the shooter half way and insert the locking pin so the shooter handle is down and then the glass can slide off.

These below images is mainly the mechanical concept

Side Profile (resized).png
Angle Profile (resized).png

and still needs to be dressed up with similarities to the movie prop of the guardians Milano.

And there is no reason why you could have a different colour handle and use this on a Star Wars game as well

seat 3 (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

to help understand the mechanics, here is a GIF showing the motion of the shooter.

Guardians shooter.gif

#3 3 years ago

love it

#4 3 years ago

Neat idea. Don't forget to consider over-travel. A quick release may wind up with the top handle part impacting the cabinet or lockdown bar, depending on how high it is...

Later,
EV

#5 3 years ago

it will have some overshoot so the spring can absorb the rebound but it will have a mechanical stop so it just can't hit the lockdown bar

#6 3 years ago

I dunno Swinks I like it but it looks like it's going to cost a lot. Nothing is stock on it.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I dunno Swinks I like it but it looks like it's going to cost a lot. Nothing is stock on it.

yes you might be right as there will be some metal components but I will see how it goes, there will be at least one in existence , like I said it would be limited

It will use a standard stern plunger body with then the pivot plate bolted into the front of it, pinball life shooter rod, custom shooter pivot end, 2 pivot arms and a handle and a few bushes and washers

#8 3 years ago

nice, you always come up with neat ideas.

#9 3 years ago

Think of a rod option that uses the same throttle handle but leaves the stock body in places, it can use a triangular pivot on the side with springs.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Think of a rod option that uses the same throttle handle but leaves the stock body in places, it can use a triangular pivot on the side with springs.

sort got a image, will consider that as well

#11 3 years ago

That's very cool! Might want to think about beefing up the slot on the arm. that thin wall over that length will be very prone to bending and misalignment.
pasted_image (resized).png

#12 3 years ago

It's pretty darn cool and if I end up getting a GOTG (waiting to see how code goes) then I'd really be wanting one of these. It's such a unique concept it would stand out in any collection.

#13 3 years ago

This looks really cool, but I don't think it is actually possible to compress a standard spring as much as you are showing in your animation.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

That's very cool! Might want to think about beefing up the slot on the arm. that thin wall over that length will be very prone to bending and misalignment.

yeah I know, I left the sides open so people can see the slide mech part in the gif and just to prove to myself that the concept has a chance of working without investing too much time into, it will have the outer sides filled in to look more similar to the movie prop throttle arms.

the shooter rod end will also have some flats as well as the pins so it stays vertical and can't twist and pop out.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

This looks really cool, but I don't think it is actually possible to compress a standard spring as much as you are showing in your animation.

the animation shows 2 inches of travel / compression which is what happens in a real game as I don't want to limit the stroke and then cause under powered plungers

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

to help understand the mechanics, here is a GIF showing the motion of the shooter.

I can see some damaged fingers in those side grooves when letting go of the arm to launch a ball, especially little kids.
Also on the inner part of the mech it looks like it could be a finger breaker.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I can see some damaged fingers in those side grooves when letting go of the arm to launch a ball, especially little kids.

I think he meant in the post above that they are only empty to let everyone see how it works. He would have a plate over the outside (or just filled in) so it'd be a solid piece on the sides.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

these will be covered on the outsides - don't worry I have a 4 and 8 year old and I don't want pinched fingers otherwise my wife will come down on me

that is correct SilverballNut

#19 3 years ago

I think this is awesome and fits the theme really well. I plan on keeping my game for a long time and would be interested in buying one of these assuming you ship to the US. I'll be stunned if you can make these in small volumes and not need to charge a fortune - and if you can do that, maybe I need to consult with you and find out who you work with that can get custom metal parts machined that cheap!!

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

these will be covered on the outsides - don't worry I have a 4 and 8 year old and I don't want pinched fingers otherwise my wife will come down on me

Sorry about that. I was under the impression what you were showing was a near final and complete design.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Sorry about that. I was under the impression what you were showing was a near final and complete design.

no worries, it is the mechanical concept at this stage

I like sharing the development of a mod and don't do it with the vision of selling - more because I want to do it for me and some people then share concerns which only makes this a better design.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I think this is awesome and fits the theme really well. I plan on keeping my game for a long time and would be interested in buying one of these assuming you ship to the US. I'll be stunned if you can make these in small volumes and not need to charge a fortune - and if you can do that, maybe I need to consult with you and find out who you work with that can get custom metal parts machined that cheap!!

I do tend to get parts 3d printed in stainless steel through shapeways or imaterialise and since alot more detail is to go into these the only other option is to cast and I don't know of anyone that can help there.

Like the Snackbar Mod v1 & v2 it is solid 3d printed nylon and painted fitted with a number of other parts (laser cut SS & acrylic, led strips, decals). The charge price was really cost of parts and $25 per of my time, so really under charging in Aus terms and no profit added on. I do it for fun and a little bit of hobby money. I also just like to share and get a good fun discussion going.

Snackbar Mod v2.2 (resized).jpg

#23 3 years ago

Awesome as always swinks

Could see these working for a number of pins, all chrome would look great on ST or black powder with beatmaster lit shooter housings for Tron, look forward to seeing the finished product dude.

#24 3 years ago

This is the kind of stuff stern should try, better theme integration...

#25 3 years ago

That is the best shooter mod I have ever seen. I want one just because it's so cool. I don't have a pin it would make any sense on. I'm reaching but maybe a Rock-N-Roll version that it looked like a bass pedal so it would look good on a music pin.

#26 3 years ago

I'd wonder if friction between the plunger knob and those guides might reduce the "snappiness" of the shooter rod.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from racer_x:

I'd wonder if friction between the plunger knob and those guides might reduce the "snappiness" of the shooter rod.

I have designed in 2 little wearable nylon bushes so it isn't SS on SS with a slight gap so it should move nicely - see what happens..

#28 3 years ago

this is the rough location of the lockdown bar relative to the shooter assembly

- top of the lockdown bar is approx 40mm from the top shooter assembly and approx 12mm (almost 1/2") from the lockdown to the throttle handle

so it does need a little tweaking.

distance to lockdown (resized).png

#30 3 years ago

So cool. Put me down for one (or two if handle color made for SW).

#31 3 years ago

I'd put one of these on my SWE just because it kind of reminds me of podracing!

#32 3 years ago

I changed the top of the levers angle to give more clearance to the lockdown bar now almost 17mm in it's rest state
distance to lockdown 2 (resized).png.

no mocked up so covers built into the throttle arms to remove pinch points.
M-Shooter 1 (resized).png
M-Shooter 2 (resized).png
M-Shooter 3 (resized).png

also a shot of the wearable nylon bushes.
M-Shooter 4 (resized).png
M-Shooter 5 (resized).png

this is just the concept and now some movie prop detail inspiration

#33 3 years ago

Looks great swinks, I think it looks even better now, more clearance, better angle on the shooter and better asthetics, it’s a win win, nice work

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside