2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbanthony.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#232 2 years ago

Better not be like JJPOTC with no music, voices, or video that shows people’s faces. What a load of crap that is even if it’s Disney’s fault for being a PITA.

#346 2 years ago

I like the Pro art the best from what I can see.

edit: ... especially the translite.

#1123 2 years ago

Pro looks promising; now its all about the code and use of movie video. I do with it covered both movies; more for purposes of LCD content than needing more playfield content.

GOTG-Pro-Playfield_smX_preview (resized).jpeg

#1184 2 years ago

If I had to pick the first or second movie to do a pin, I would have picked the 2nd. Too bad they couldn’t include some of 2nd movie. Several obvious scenes as pointed out would have been awesome for the pin.

#1193 2 years ago

They don’t lift up

#1196 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

This is on the matrix for Prem and LE only. "All new EZ Slide cabinet brackets for smooth and easy playfield access". I wonder what that is?

They don’t have the “bump” when you slide the Plalyfield back into place

#1198 2 years ago

I think he was just trying to show what was underneath with the Pro picture

#1199 2 years ago

Humor. This game needs quirky humor like the movie. Hope the guys at Stern got that element right.

#1250 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Spinners should NEVER be removed from pro models. It creates more fractured rule sets for the programmers and they are less likely to program anything significant for the spinners then.
Rob

Is that what happened with other games where they were pulled out?; were they more or less neutered for the Premium/LE as a result?

#1306 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, it seems no awesome soundtrack and no voices from movie? Marvel sound a-likes.
So, much will depend on what clever people can do with pinball browser in the future.
I know it costs more money but if Stern had got licensing to music/actors etc, this would have been a total hit ( with or without spinner )

First I have heard this. Source?

Feature matrix indicates: HD video scenes from the original film associated with game play modes

Now this could be like JJPOTC where they can only show scenes without faces; but I was hopeful we could see more than peoples backsides. Except in the case of Gamora because she has a nice ass.

#1720 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Someone will make a mod that's better than sterns version.

I suspect not; I mean I expected all kinds of mods for the "empty" Stars Wars game and really very little became available that wasn't somewhat cookie cutter versions of mods already available (lighting, mirror blades, etc)

#1737 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

All SWLEs came with 3 translites?

Yes.

#1961 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I know Spike is here to stay, but I wish they would go back to the Sam system. It was reliable and repairable, just a solid system. Probably Sterns best in my opinion.

They aren't going to go back and I think it's kind of dumb to even wish for it as you would sacrifice the LCD, etc. unless there was a total redesign and then it wouldn't be "SAM". I don't want my flip phone from yesteryear back even though it I never worried about breaking it vs. my cracked screen on iPhone 6S. Yes, I'll pay for a new screen and be a bit pissed about it but I don't want my damn flip phone back. Sure, I'd like to see them improve Spike2 and I'm sure they will -- there will be a Spike3 or whatever down the line. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. GOTG is similar to IM anyway right, so get IM. If there was a SAM version of GOTG, it certainly wouldn't end up being the same.

Edit: LOL; you already have Iron Man. My bad!

1 week later
#2393 2 years ago

I'm either going to buy SW or GOTG next year for my 50th birthday, so I'm excited to see how both finish up and which is the looking good to me by this time next year. The only thing that would throw me off is if another A+ theme comes out. However, none of the rumored titles so far interest me so I'm probably going with one of these two. My wife will prefer GOTG so here's hoping the code, video, and soundalike call outs don't end up sucking the joy out of the theme.

#2403 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

In light of buying yourself something, yes, I find it slightly amusing to prefer choice A over Choice B JUST because your spouse wants one or the other. I wouldn't buy my wife a black shirt of the same style she requested just because I like black... I know she wants pink. Or something. I don't think it's absurd to not compromise on what you want for something like a birthday present. If she's buying it...then she can make the decision for what game, he's not going to complain either way. If he's buying it for himself, he's free to take that into consideration, because it's a big expensive game, but yeah...I think it's hilarious. The only reason I still own a Metallica is because quiddity likes it. I got tired of it 2 years ago. But it's HER machine. I'm not going to take it away and replace it with a BSD just because I'd rather have a BSD.
Give and take on both sides is the best approach. Sometimes you let your spouse get something or do something they really want, even if you can't really afford it or if you think it's a stupid purchase or decision, because it makes them happy, and you just stand back and shut up.

Your first response to my post made me laugh! I will try to clarify

I like the SW and GOTG themes equally well. Both are amongst my favorites. If the games turn out about equal in code, video, callouts, etc. -- i.e. they are both "fun to play" and they don't do something up that screws up the theme then I'd be super happy with either one. As to my wife having input on MY 50th birthday gift and swaying my decision... I've been married 20 years and she's the love of my life and my best friend. It's more fun to play pinball with her than without her so my advice is that the best gifts given and received are ones you can enjoy together.

#2415 2 years ago

Don't forget there is a deadflip stream tonight starting at 7pm eastern time U.S.

#2442 2 years ago

You might want to check this out...

amazon.com link »

pasted_image (resized).png

#2502 2 years ago

The software looks like a freakin' mess. I can't imagine buying this game until it is better.

#2520 2 years ago

After being an early adopter of one NIB game, I won't do it again. I'll have to see a completed game, not just a box of lights with partial software.

#2641 1 year ago
Quoted from T-800:

So, after 50+ pages of posts, the general consensus from what I've read:
From those that have actually played GOTG in person: "This game is fantastic, the shots are smooth and fast, the sounds are great, it's a heck of a lot of fun, I can't wait to see where they take this game. I really liked playing it."
From those that watched pixels flicker on and off of a screen: "This game stinks! I'm mean, sure it has phenomenal art, a fantastic layout, fast shots, a drop target, a magnet(s), physical ball lock, real backglass (LE), and licensed songs we cried for, but what the hell, where are the callouts that we've been told are coming?"
The stream may have been a little underwhelming in the custom callout department and a lack of complete theme integration with lighting and video at this point, but I'm going to wait to reserve judgement until I play it first hand and get my own idea of the game and where it is going to go code wise.
Ps. Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb. Augh.

I believe we also heard from an owner who was very disappointed in the code and stopped playing after a few games. So to say that the consensus is "This is game is fantastic" might be an overstatement.

#2645 1 year ago

The question is whether Stern is catching up or falling further behind on code across all of their new releases. It seems to me that the trend is to release games more half-baked than ever. You can't keep falling behind and not have that problem accumulate to the point where you have a complete stinker or two of a game that are never done right because something has to give at some point. I love the GOTG theme (although I wish it could have included both movies) but after seeing the video, I'll certainly wait a year to see if it is ever finished right. The coding looks like crap at the moment and they didn't even seem to know what direction they were taking it in when answering questions.

#2727 1 year ago
Quoted from Ryanx0r:

I'm really on the fence about cancelling my order now on this. It's unfortunate because I love the theme.

I really have no idea why anyone would have an order in on this game right now. It's half-baked. Put it back in the oven and wait.

#2830 1 year ago
Quoted from Delta9:

I was at expo steve said never again will he do a movie theme and everything they did with sw had to be approved by the sw people he said it was a royal pain in the ass

Movies and super heroes are going to continue to be one leg of the stool for game themes. I just don't see it going any other way. Maybe Steve will be able to pick & choose to only do rock bands or other misc themes, but I highly doubt Stern is going to abandon movie themes. They (movie themes) help sell product even if they cost money and are a PITA. Do you think Stern could sell large quantities of unfinished games if the themes weren't really popular?

#2897 1 year ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Don't worry...we're not impressed.

Not sure why we're piling on. If ASOA is/is not actually thinking of buying 10 machines and is/isn't a large operator, I don't know and don't really care. There are plenty of folks on here that are either actually rich and occasionally come across as rubbing it in peoples faces or are just faking it. Wouldn't be the first time these things occur on the internet. I really only care in those situations where someone may be trying to commit fraud via falsehoods posted in the forum.

#2987 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Rare I respect you and your post and with no intended offense I think you need to lower your expectations a little. Quality has gone down on occasion and price has gone up, but how many times do we need to hear that you have not bought or supported Stern since Metallica. It is starting to sound like a broken record, and makes you look like a Stern hater(which I know you are not).
I guess my point is I think you need to relax a little and be thankful pinball is back in the spotlight and you have choices to buy from multiple companies. I got frustrated at Stern's money grabbing Batman 66 game release and it put a bad taste in my mouth, but I got over it quickly. I got a bad taste in my mouth when Rick with PPS started flapping his mouth at fellow pinsider's about coin mechs, etc., but I got over it and bought a MMR.
Stern has been behind the eight ball since their move and they may have rushed out machines or cut and pasted design elements to make a production schedule deadline, but they are still turning out decent, fun games imo. The only games Stern has made that I do not care for are WWF, and Batman 66 (Mainly because I am not into theme). All of Sterns other games made since Metallica are fun games.
You can argue all day long until you are blue in the face trying to convince other people not to buy "Stern Crap" because lack of code or imperfections, or bad design, etc. I think you are wasting your breath, because Pinsiders make up maybe 5-10% of the overall potential pinball buyers. This ideology of 'If we all take a stance and don't buy-Stern will learn a lesson and make improvements' is a pipe dream. Sorry but Stern is up 40% in last two years and doing very well, they take suggestions into consideration, but they will maintain their 3 title a year release regardless of production delays.
I have been very happy with all of my recent NIB Stern pinball machine purchases and I am thankful that I am in the position to be able to afford them and I am thankful that Stern is still in business making great machines.
I am not a Stern Fanboy, just a dedicated pinhead who loves pinball and wants it to thrive.

Yes it's important to have this conversation, but it does get old after the 100 time of reiteration(Again Broken Record)
Time to dive back in Rare and buy some new Sterns-they are a blast!
Lower your expectations and be thankful....

Don’t ever tell a customer they should lower their expectations. As a business, you try to rise to the occasion and meet or exceed your customers expectations. To do otherwise is just B.S. and a bad way to run a business.

#2988 1 year ago

... that doesn’t mean that some customers don’t have unreasonable expectations, but if someone is unhappy with a product you shouldn’t tell them they should be silent. Screw that. Block their posts if you are so tired of it

#3016 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Call up Stern and tell them or vote with your wallet
The negative circle jerk here does NOTHING. It becomes over the top and whiny crybaby nonsense when it’s non stop
Nope, unblocked posts and I’m gonna keep riding herd on that BS so screw that

#3018 1 year ago

Oh, I'm just having a bit of fun. Like anyone should take anything serious on on here.

PS_0170W_SARCASM_KIDDING (resized).jpg

#3221 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wasn't either BUT, it works with AS.
And speaking of pinball music, GOTG needed much more of the soundtrack to make it appealing to me.
2 songs is going to get very repetitive! Especially Cherry Bomb.

The idea I heard that I liked was to take the 2 songs and incorporate them as part of multiball. Outside of that, I'd run with the regular theme music or original Stern musical score. Often, the songs in the movie kicked in when they were kicking but so that would seem to align with multiball.

#3334 1 year ago

Ick. Ick. Ick. Those are some horrid "soundalikes". It would have been better if they didn't repeat lines from the movie but they did so it causes a direct comparison. Of course, it might be better if they leave it as lines from the movie because then I'd be able to swap them out fairly directly with audio from the movie. I own AVLE and the crappy voices really take away from the theme on it too. Matter of fact, I'm starting a project to update mine by pulling the audio track from the movie. I'd have to do the same with this one.

#3680 1 year ago

I'm a little disappointed by where this thread is headed. I don't really want to add more people to the ignored list. "Snowflake" has become a derogatory term and epithet of choice for right-wingers to fling at anyone who could be accused of being too easily offended or too fragile. I thought the rules here included not attacking people.

#3683 1 year ago

Well, I did google it. Also, without getting political I'm not associated with the party associated with a donkey mascot. I'm just not in favor of people attacking each other here.

#3684 1 year ago

The most important aspect of the callouts is humor. Some funny one-liners could make up for so-so voices compared to the original actors. I'm here for pinball, not drama.

#3691 1 year ago

I think people are people and negativity is born out of expectations vs. perceived reality. I was on a thread about EA's Battlefront II a couple days ago and I could have copy/pasted some of the posts from there into here and just substituted the word pinball and it would have passed as a conversation about Stern's pinball code. It was the same talk about incomplete code and the same polarization of positive and negative comments and complaints about negativity. Pinside isn't unique in this regard. I have found the AVS home theater forum manages to not get into the negativity or fights as much for whatever reason. But my gosh, just stay away from Yahoo News comments following articles -- yikes!

#3692 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I agree with that, its a slippery slope, and you don't start the BS by "attacking" someone for nonsense when the context was obvious.
Good lord and "Merry F ing Christmas"
Ok now back to bashing on Stern and GOTG.

To quote a classic:

Clark: Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.

#3866 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

are the callouts really going to make the game not fun or something?
you guys are funny.
obviously it would be better if they got a real voice actor, but it's not that big of a deal.
They probably just aren't selling enough of them to justify the cost.

Yes, crappy callouts will make it not fun in a home use environment if you are a big fan of the theme. If you don't care about the theme or the game will be on location, then it doesn't matter.

Would you care if your favorite A list actor in your favorite movie were instead played by some other B list star?
Would you care if your favorite song by your favorite band was sung by a tribute band but still charged the same amount for a concert ticket?
Would you care if your favorite science fiction movie from 2017 used special effects from the 1960's?
Would you care if your favorite micro brew was replaced with a bud light?

#3869 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

The reason probably isn't the cost of audio, it's the need of unique call outs. Having two different voices to do call outs and do movie clips would be worse than just doing full voice-overs. Just a guess.

No, Star Wars is clearly an example of mixing the two. It would not be worse. Instead, you just have one or two characters do custom callouts or some B list person that doesn't cost a fortune do the callouts (like Star Wars).

#3873 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

personally, no it's not that big of a deal to me. Yeah it's a little disappointing, but not a deal breaker. Think it's a pretty small aspect, in the grand scheme.
Probably steer clear of buying it, if it is to you.
I still have fun playing TWD without modifying the voices.
I could understand if it was a theme you really, really liked. To me it's just pinball with a different story.
A downside to licensed games is that your not going to meet everyone's expectations with what should have been.
as for the science fiction question, yeah that would suck.
I'm not a bud light fan either.

And I have Avengers. I like the game enough to have kept it for the last 4 years, but every time I play it I notice the lousy voice actors and it takes away from the experience vs. if it was original actors or dialogue from the actual movie.

#3893 1 year ago

This was $16 when I bought it. Looks decent in person and would make a good topper item. Not as big as a full width topper but it's not tiny so it looked pretty good on one of my other pins (I don't have GOTG yet) if you put it on one side/front corner of the top.

amazon.com link »

#3917 1 year ago

I had that problem with Star Trek. I’m a big fan. Wanted to love the game. Started to hate it all too quickly and got rid of it.

#3923 1 year ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Thanks. That horseshoe in SW is kinda different and all the shots are long shots with a fast return, so its a little “weird” to me. Not bad. I guess for me the game really needs a good bash shot. I miss that. One well placed bash shot and the game would transform IMO, and I’ll bet would change a lot of minds. The tie fighter on the spring just isn’t enough. I’ve only played the pro, so maybe the premium will provide the deltaim looking for.
GOTG doesn’t have much going on either, but that big Groot shot right up the middle is satisfying. And even better when he gobbles your balls ( ). It’s kinda nice to always have an obvious, satisfying shot to hit while your playing. Something that breaks up the constant ramp/ramp/Orbit etc. GOTG has the orb drop and catch too, which is a brief change up. All SW has is the right scoop.

I guess it depends on what you are willing to count as a bash shot. The Tie fighter on a spring and the mini-LCD target bank serve as the bash shots in SW right? You are constantly trying to increase your bonus and shoot/bash tie fighters. I think it makes for interesting bash shots and is well executed. I would have disliked it if they just repeated the Star Trek version with a giant spaceship bash toy. And, the Death Star doesn't make for a very good bash shot in my opinion unless the game is just focused on the first movie. Having a giant tie fighter would be completely out of scale with anything else on the playfield (Death Star; Millennium Falcon) and I would have hated a character being the bash shot -- works for GOTG with Groot but I think any of the SW characters (even Vader) would make for kind of lousy bash shots.

#3981 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The pro has the Rocket figure and fires the ball back at you. The difference is the Rocket figure doesn't move.

And like you would notice the difference one way or the other while the ball is shot back at you at 100mph

#4024 1 year ago

I have noticed in some videos posted online that shots are missing a lot and people are just hammering Groot. I need to play it for myself but that would seem like it would get old kind of fast.

#4045 1 year ago

Waiting to see if 3 magnets vs 1 equals more entertainment value.

1 week later
#4094 1 year ago

Played my first games on GOTG today. Really wanted to love the game because I love the theme and really like the IM pin which has some similarities. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in the programming, voiceovers, uninspired integration of the video, and shots; some of which are too tight to be fun. I enjoyed the GOT sitting next to it a lot more.

#4098 1 year ago

The art on the game is great. Unfortunately, that was the only thing I thought was great and I prefer to play the game rather than just stare at it. I have taken the game off of my Wish List. I think the initial ranking of the game outside the Top 100 seems very appropriate to me. I'll try the game again when it gets to 1.0 code and hope that they somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat. As we all know, opinions vary and I hope those that order the game enjoy it.

#4111 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

My LE only uses one magnet with the .81 code. What is up with that?

Apparently, they haven't programmed the extra two magnets to do anything yet. You'd think they would have them doing something given it's one of two functional differences (along with spinners). While the Pro's little ball loop action caused by the magnet is 'cute' and does send the ball in different directions, it isn't very exciting. I prefer magnets that really give the ball some quick movement. The current magnet action causes a small loop and kind of lobs the ball off in some direction.

#4135 1 year ago

I bricked a ton of shots on GOTG due to how tight the shots are and just started shooting for Groot. I'm sure I could "play better" but for casual players I'm not sure it can be effectively addressed with code. We'll see.

#4139 1 year ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

So.... I am confused. The only difficult shots imo are yondu and rocket. You’ve bashed the game pretty hard because you can’t “play better”? Lol. I’m not knocking you it’s whatever and you’re entitled to your opinion but I suck at pinball and I hit all those shots.

Then maybe you don't suck that bad or I suck worse. I'm clearly not the only one that has had an opinion that the shots are tight.

The guys from SDTM liked the game but here are quotes from the SDTM youtube video: "there are so many bricked shots.... it just kind of kills some of it", "super challenging", "tight shots", "there is not enough flow", "need supreme accuracy to get any kind of flow"

That doesn't necessarily make it a bad game, I really enjoy Iron Man which is fairly brutal but I can definitely make the shots and have a lot of fun. With more practice, I might like GOTG better but it did not give me a positive first impression.

#4143 1 year ago

I didn't have any problems with the Rocket shot going SDTM but it sure hits the flipper at a high rate of speed.

3 weeks later
#4186 1 year ago

I'm a little curious how well this game is doing in the marketplace; there don't seem to be very many reviews for it on Pinside which indicates a lack of sales or lack of enthusiasm or both. TNA has a lot more reviews and that seems like more of a niche game but with a very enthusiastic fan base.

#4188 1 year ago

Waiting is probably good; I try to update my reviews now and then. My perspective might change over time or code may get an update and I play it again.

3 weeks later
#4207 1 year ago

I'm glad there was another code update and they haven't given up on this game. I don't think this game has sold that well so far -- I can't find one close to me and and there are a lot fewer GOTG owners on Pinside than Star Wars, for example. The game is ranked at #146 in the Top 100 list which I personally feel it deserved but I am hopeful that the game will be a lot better by 1.0. I'm hoping for at least one more code update before the Allentown show so I can give this game a 2nd try with code that is closer to the final product.

#4212 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I can assure you that GOTG is not a #146 game.. It should be somewhere in the #40 and up with the .87 code. I rank it around #30..

I’m sure it will move up as code improves. Not going to debate the spot, but the initial code was crap and it deserved to start way down the list. I’m looking forward to playing it again as it continues to improve.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbanthony.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside