50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sinestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What's wrong, jgentry? Sorry, but Groot was a much better character in the first movie....hopefully this game ignores GOTG 2, because Baby Groot was nothing more than a moronic butt of all the jokes. At ANY rate, Groot was easily the worst part of both movies. Would rather see physical Drax, Gamora, Starlord figures than a giant stupid tree head.
Magnets is great. Been way too long since Stern has used magnets without cores or plates over them.... here's hoping.
*Edit* Hell, I'd even take Yondu over Groot.

ron (resized).jpgron (resized).jpg

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Yup. Would I own it? No. But pinball is awesome. It's impossible not to have fun playing pinball.

It is if you're a Pinside hipster. They love to tell you how they walked away from a game "after one ball".

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes, the last thing we would want is another game loaded up with multiple unique features and toys, have handdrawn artwork, contain original character audio from the actors, and custom callouts from one of the films actors, lol.

Nailed it.

Unfortunately, it will go right over his head.

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Shakers- No. There are maybe 5 games on the planet where a shaker should even be used. Every damn game shouldn't have a shaker, only if the theme warrants it.

Every game should have a shaker.....thank you very much.

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Toys that don't do anything, toys that don't work well, audio from the character no one cares about (Stranger Things 2 confirms: Winston sucks), layout that's unplayable, ten mile flipper gap, poor code concept, missing wizard mode, typo on the playfield, ghosting inserts, designed by a pedophile!!!
I have high hopes that GOTG will
be none of those things.

You seem to have a deep seated need for Pinside to reinforce your decision not to buy this game. You post the same thing over and over again in every thread, regardless of whether it's even remotely related.

What's the root cause of this need for affirmation? Dig deep....tell us what's wrong. We're here to help you.

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

It should be obvious enough with his posts. GB. Ghosting, bad drains, code meh, flipper gap.....

False or irrelevant statements.

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Sure that's why pinball universe and about 3 other people created lane guide extension kits because the ball was jumping over the guides, the drop targets that don't drop (scoleri brothers), the slimer mech that didn't work or register hits or would stay stuck above the librairian scoop, the ball launches from the left ramp, the ghosting... seriously dude, I get why some people are bitter but to call these problems irrelevant or false is far just makes you sound a bit out of touch.

We're in a Guardians reveal. We'll argue later.

#629 6 years ago

Nice to see the Groot mech is exactly the same on the Pro, unlike say KISS, Star Trek, etc....

#647 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Talks too, right?

Speaks 4 words!

I am Groot

We are Groot.

#651 6 years ago

Best look yet at the arms.

Arms (resized).jpgArms (resized).jpg

#775 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Hmmm...isnt that 5?

Yup. I stand corrected.

#797 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

The hands on the premium/LE are cool looking but seem a little obtrusive to me and they also block your view of the spinners.

Looks better from this angle.

Arms (resized).jpgArms (resized).jpg

#799 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't like the hands. I'd take the spinners, the extra lighting, and the other premium extras, but you could keep the hands off.

Probably easily removed.

#1353 6 years ago

Not sure why everyone keeps insisting that Stern removed spinners for the Pro. This is a Borg game, and he has said on more than one occasion that he designs the Pro first, then adds for the Premium/LE. So the spinners are an "Add" for the Premium/LE.

Gary Stern didn't walk into Borg's office and demand the spinners be pulled off the Pro. Borg has a BOM to work with for each unit, and this is how he chose to spend it.

#1363 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don’t even get me started on stern spinner build quality...

I'll get you started.....

#1820 6 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

How can I hook up my Zune to this ?

Do you have the turd brown model?

#1821 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ah, dang. I thought that those laser cut siderails were on the LE and that the early pics just didn't show that. They're really going to hold that back from LE buyers? I guess they're at least an actual upgrade. The cut rails for Ghostbusters looked like a "My First Stencil Kit" product.

I have the cut rails on my GB, and they look great in person, thank you very much.

#1823 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I am happy that you believe that.

Fact, buddy. Fact.

#1860 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I agree with you 100%, it should be standard now for all pins regardless of model to have full RGB lighting inserts and GI.

Agreed, 100% The cost difference is negligible.

Stern started regular LEDs out in their Premium/LE line, then they trickled down to the Pros eventually. Hopefully the same happens with RGB inserts and GI.

#1861 6 years ago

One of the most ridiculous and preposterous comments that circulates among Stern bashers is that the SPIKE system is somehow junk.

SPIKE is vastly superior to SAM, and any other assertion is asinine.

#1864 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Dude, no. SPIKE is objectively a step backwards in nearly every way. Higher failure rates, inability to diagnose, more expense for the end user over time, more difficult to repair, less friendly to modders, and far less interchangeability between games. You often like to blindly defend things, but SPIKE is one that is best left undefended until they make it reliable.
SPIKE is still unfinished and they've been using it for years. Kind of a crazy thing to think about.

Completely wrong! No high failure rates. No issues with my SPIKE games, any of my friend's SPIKE games, nor any at my local pinball arcade.

Easier to repair, especially with node boards being swapable.

Sound system BLOWS SAM away. Can drive LCD screens

Less friendly to modders? Quit making stuff up.

Your whole list of replies is phony.

You are a blind Stern basher, and per my post you're responding to, you have now self-admitted to being asinine.

#1868 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Ummm.. you only own 1
My only Spike game is on the blink. My S.A.M pins have been bullet proof. FG is coming up 10 years old

With my game, my friend's games (plural) and all the SPIKE's (plural) at the arcade, none have any issues.

There are games from the 30's that work still too.

#1872 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Sinestro, buddy, you're kidding yourself if you think SPIKE is better than SAM. Your experience with it is not everybody's experience. Your reality is not everybody's reality. It's great that you haven't had problems, but many, many people have. There's a real concern about the long-term viability of SPIKE. You can't come here and stomp your foot and thumbs down people and throw around terms like "hater" when there's a mountain of evidence to contradict you. It just makes you look like an apologist. And what's crazy about that is that you're not getting anything out of it.
I never had to worry about game code updates blowing out my driver boards before SPIKE. Now it's a real concern. With SAM being properly fused, board failures weren't nearly as common. I've seen SPIKE games taken out of the box and before the first play they've been completely unplayable due to a dead node. They're finicky and fragile. And worst yet, if you short one, you're not replacing a simple fuse or transistor, you're sending the entire board back for replacement. It's not a great situation for the operator or the hobbyist.

You're kidding yourself if you think SAM is better. No stereo, no LCD, CPU equivalent of a Game Boy Advance. Outdated, 70's matrix system.

Same goes for you. Your experiences aren't everybody else's experiences. Just because there have been a few issues with node boards, and Pinsiders who have complained LOUDLY about on these forums, does not a majority make. You're too self absorbed in Pinside to see the larger picture.

The long term viability of SPIKE is just fine. It's not in Stern's financial best interests to have a platform that's falling apart. Use common sense and logic. Get outside of your bubble. Interact with others not on Pinside. There's a larger pinball world out there.

#1874 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Forget it. For those of us that have been around in the hobby to watch things go from Whitestar to SAM to SPIKE, the differences have been obvious. I'm not interested in arguing a point with someone who is irrational and so blasted defensive. You're acting like I'm calling your mom flawed or something. The emotional attachment is extremely weird.

Your emotional and irrational bashing of Stern is what's odd.

If your arguments have merit, then a discussion can begin. When you say outrageous comments, it's no different than if you claimed to have invented the question mark.

Likewise, I have nothing else to add.

#1877 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yes, the guy giving examples of problematic aspects of the SPIKE system is the emotional one, not the one who is calling people delusional, accusing them of lying, and basically saying, "nuh-uh!" Cool story.

Nice try, but I gave examples of how you we wrong.

So....you would be the guy unable to respond.

#1883 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The only discussion needed would be rehasing old, established points. Points you conveniently stay ignorant of. Such as:
- Lack of documentation
- Incompatible revisions
- Lack of conformity for parts stocking
- Lack of availability for quick replacement (for a system promoting... lack of downtime)
- Lack of/poor protection circuitry on the driver boards
- Power design change that makes the old high power interlock/testing abilities NLA
- Lack of a long standing platform to date (already had 3 platform changes in its short life)
Yes it has capabilities SAM didn't
- native RGB support
- better sound capabilities
- "native" LCD support
But as a platform to deliver reduced costs, improved servicability, and reduced downtime... all which were the lead features of the new platform - it's failed to deliver on all those fronts. And until they address the problems, the platform will still stand to be a great liability... even tho it delivers new functionalities SAM didn't.

To TigerLaw, I will make one last post on this since flynninus ignored your edict and inserted himself into he argument.

There's been 2 revisions, not 3. They don't need to be completely swappable anymore than SAM to SPIKE would be.

You forgot to address the obsolete 70's matrix style that SAM had. SPIKE allows much more modularity and features. It also gives the owner the ability to quickly remove the playfield, and from there the head for disassembly.

SPIKE has adjustable LEDs for lighting. This allows the lights to auto dim when in service mode. It also can be permanently lowered to reduce or eliminate backglass reflection. Beats he hell out of the old fluorescent tube in SAM.

SPIKE runs on a removable SD card. This allows easier servicing if corruption occurs. You were literally fucked if something went south with the internal flash memory on SAM. Also, a removable SD card allows owners to hot swap out original code versus modded code.

SPIKE has built support for shaker motors. No more installing ancillary boards, plug and play.

All points you conveniently stay ignorant of.

#1885 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Maybe he was counting The Pin. Lol

I'm out. Peace.

#1962 6 years ago

GB is not on its own SPIKE version.

#2157 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I do think that the Groot arms are too big and are distracting. I thought the hammer was huge and distracting on Metallica Premium/LE but these Groot arms are HUGE! They turned me off enough to order the Pro, it made my decision easier. People talking about adding more crap makes me chuckle. Let's add a huge Walkman in Groot's huge hands and try to eliminate the entire playfield view-Awesome where can I buy!

Arms look to be easily removed. So, if a buyer wants all of the Premium features, minus the arms, it shouldn't be a problem.

#2190 6 years ago

I'd want "Fox on the Run", but since this game is only about the first movie, I'm sure it's not going to be included.

Oh well, Pinball Browser to the rescue again!

#2228 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

White lettering on gold/yellow background needs to change too.
Rob

Agreed 100%. Really, the only bad thing I've noticed about this otherwise great looking game.

#2241 6 years ago

I noticed another conflict in Stern's marketing materials. We already know about the mistake in the feature matrix concerning the Pro being checked for both RGB and white GI.

I just noticed the the feature matrix says the Premium/LE has RGB pop bumpers, and the Pro does not. However, the flyer for the Pro says it has RGB pop bumpers.

Can anyone who played it chime in? Does the Pro have RGB pop bumpers?

#2245 6 years ago

Batman '66 was a really weird magnification of Stern's code problem. Aerosmith was supposed to be out in Batman's spot, and they wound up trading spots. This caused Batman's code to be released in an alpha stage, while Aerosmith was relativity mature by the time it came out early this year.

1 week later
#3206 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Stern's last 10 aren't a bad or a great run. Probably better than average, but there are some real ups and downs there.
Last 10 games stern has created
10. Star Wars - Pro is bad, Premium/LE is worse.
9. Aerosmith - Fun, yet shallow game. Great player and I like it.
8. Batman 66 - Truly awful. Code is improving, but the layout is a dog and the turntable a physical mess.
7. Ghostbusters - Very good game that needs a desperate final pass on code to clean up bugs and to finish the wizard modes.
6. Spider man VE - Not as good as the original, but still a very fun game. Overpriced.
5. Who Nellie/Pabst - Underrated, mostly due to the cost. Fun game that could have done better at a lower price point.
4. Game of Thrones - Fantastic game at the pro level, but a big step down at the premium/LE. Still, a legit great.
3. KISS - Boring and lame. Some of the laziest/worst DMD animations ever.
2. Wrestlemania - Interesting effort, but it doesn't come together well. Not good.
1. Walking Dead - Amazing game that keeps you coming back for more. Addictive despite being brutal.
We'll see with Guardians. It's a recycled effort on layout and code, but it's drawing from good inspiration. I can't wait to see it in a matured state.

While there are some games I'll entertain a Pro on (mostly Borg), Star Wars and GOT aren't among them. GOT Pro is the most stripped down Pro Stern has ever made. Laughably bad.

Generally speaking with Ritchie, go Premium/LE. Those are the games as he designed them.

#3295 6 years ago

Disney has really screwed Stern and JJP over with their recent releases. At least JJP paid the guy who played Gibbs to do custom callouts, but still it's not good enough. Botched license=no sale.

Another reason to just wait for Elvira. No issues there, she's fully participating.

#3517 6 years ago

Say what you want about Ghostbusters....but there is a theme fully implemented.

Hundreds of audio clips from the movies, and Ernie Hudson doing custom call-outs.

Stern proves it can be done. Stern should accept no less or walk away.....or we will.

#3523 6 years ago

Elvira is another that could really knock theme integration out of the park. Hopefully she records not only tons of callouts, but video of her on the red couch making quips. She still looks great, and in makeup it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

And I'm sure it's cheap to license out some Z grade horror clips.

I'm hard pressed to see how that license integration could go south.

#3526 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Don't worry. Stern will manage to screw it up somehow.

Heaven forbid......

#3590 6 years ago

You can replace video with Pinball Browser and SPIKE games. I've done it.

#3660 6 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

Deadpool seems to be on the verge of reverting back to Marvel anyhow.

Not sure why you think that. Fox owns the property currently. The rights only revert back to Marvel if Fox "abandons" the property by not making any movies about it for a set period of time. Deadpool isn't even licensed out separately. He falls under the larger X-Men property. So even if the Deadpool movie hadn't been made, hadn't been a success that generated a sequel, as long as Fox keeps cranking out X-Men related movies, Deadpool stays with them.

#3662 6 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

I'm thinking that because there are widespread reports that Disney is in negotiations with Fox currently to acquire the Marvel catalog.

Disney was in talks with Fox to buy its ENTIRE film division, but those talks aren't currently going on right now.

I read your earlier statement as the rights to the Deadpool character were about to revert back to Marvel organically, which is why I responded.

#3665 6 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

We gotta get you caught up on the news cycle then. They're back on.
*Edit: We're both butchering revert... But no, not revert organically, but revert due to Marvel re-acquiring the film rights to that property.

Rumors....but good ones. It's exciting.

#3791 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ah, right. That's late 2018. I'm casually interested in that, but not a huge fan of the first two - they are just okay for me. Plus, Stern's chronic cost-cutting, cheap BoM, and terrible launch code with huge waits had better be addressed by then for this to even be considered. I'd literally pass on one of my dream pins (Iron Maiden) just to not promote Stern's reckless behavior lately. It's that bad.

Not late 2018.

#3793 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I dunno how it can be early or mid 2018 and be awesome because Lyman's been working on Batman'66 full time since last year at the expense of everything else to make Batman'66 at least 1.00. He wouldn't have time to start Elvira 3 coding until at LEAST 1Q 2018 because he's been working full time on Batman'66. Gomez said that over and over and is still saying that, and he doesn't lie.
So if Lyman isn't getting started on Elvira 3 coding until 1Q 2018 and it's going to have at least 1.00 code (breaking the current Stern trajectory), that's mid-2018, probably late 2018 shipping. Because, you know, Gomez said Lyman's been busy full time on Batman '66.

Lyman's code is usually bare bones early on, then builds over time to greatness. The Batman '66 Christmas code release will be his last "on the clock" as he moves on to Elivra. He'll finish Batman '66 to his perfection standards on his own time.

Look for Elvira in the spring, or summer release at the latest.

6 months later
#4241 5 years ago

Assuming this is not Quill's Quest mode where it's doing this (that is a 2-ball mode), try lowering your ball eject power.

I had a similar issue on my GB, and lowering the power made it go away.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sinestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here?tu=sinestro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.