2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 2 years ago

Borg design? Hmm, I wonder who is programming this? Lonnie seems next up to the plate? Or maybe one of the other guys finally get to be a lead programmer?

Rob

#932 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Are you all sure original music score means no songs from the movie.

I would say it certainly does and it doesn't surprise me. The cost to license the songs is probably so high that it simply isn't feasible to do.

Rob

#934 2 years ago

At least the lockdown bar has a plate again, unlike the dubious omission of one for Star Wars.

I already bought SWLE and paid my LE tax. No more of that....

Rob

#970 2 years ago

Anyone else think the pro has the best translite and cabinet art of all 3? The premium is a strong second and the LE a very distant third.

The more I look at it, the more it does not interest me. But, rules/sound can make or break a game too.

Rob

#974 2 years ago

Did anyone notice on the feature matrix that the Groot head 'talks'? How many "I am Groot" lines can you take?

Rob

#986 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Same here. This is a killer theme but obviously the code has to be fun. I hope the code starts off as solid as Aerosmith’s code, that would be nice.

What are the chances that GoTG is a child of AS code like AS was a child of KISS code?

Rob

#1248 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Some people prefer the pro version because it has less clutter, if only Stern didn’t gimp the pro by removing spinners on Met and TWD and now GOTG.

Spinners should NEVER be removed from pro models. It creates more fractured rule sets for the programmers and they are less likely to program anything significant for the spinners then.

Rob

#1251 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Side note, maybe they can be added after the fact like MET (assuming the switch logic and code info is there on the Pro...).

As of the last MET update, the spinners actually have a scoring rule now that the current pro cannot emulate. It's not the same.

Rob

#1792 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I figured they threw in the other translites on SW LE since everyone was complaining about no real backglass, and many folks seemed to like the Premium translite best.

I'm pretty sure the translites were not added because people complained. Stern doesn't change the feature matrix if people aren't happy with it.

Rob

#1793 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Nice, but 12" figures are too tall....I think.

And those figures are hideous anyhow...

Rob

1 week later
#2206 2 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

GOTG to me seems nice all around. I haven't said that about a Stern game in quite some time. For me, it's all about code and esthetics and value for money spent. So far Stern seem to be heading in the right direction. Time will tell. I just wish Spike wasn't some damn "fail and replace" kinda system instead of "fail and fix". The other thing would be to find out if the node boards are unique to Guardians or interchangeable with other games.

Perhaps with AS, SW and now GoTG they are finally getting to be standard. Have you seen the huge ass boards under the playfields of AFMr and Aliens? Those don't look too user repairable either.

Rob

#2207 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, I would never change out my AS songs, like em fine. And impossibly integrated with the LCD

Correct. I believe the video character is lip synced to the music so changing the songs would not work very well.

Rob

#2226 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Looks to be WAY early code.
Therein lies the risk.
The bait looks great though.

I don't think I'm fond of the light cyan coloring on the display as it blends too much with white numbers. And the score fonts could be a bit larger (if there's room). Early code yes... I wonder what the floating/moving squares on the display represented? White lettering on gold/yellow background needs to change too.

Rob

#2447 2 years ago

The lack of audio for the video really disappointing.

#2455 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yikes. This whole game looks pretty disappointing. Art package is stellar at least. What code version is the DF stream running? I hope to God it's super super early cause dam it needs work. I hope I don't sound like a negative Nellie, just calling it how I see it. Someone please take pinsiders advice and stick hooked on a feeling and cherry bomb as wizard mode songs. I'm already sick of the songs after 30 mins. And the choreography and theme integration with audio, good lord. Strike outs all around on this one. Here's hoping they give this game some special attention cause it has all the pieces for a great pin, it's just not even close to being there.
D+ in my book.

I edited my original reaction which was "OMG this is terrible!". Like you, I didn't want to be overly negative, but to be honest it's the least impressive dead flip stream (game) that I have seen. Even though it's beta, it's not a good beta and I wouldn't even consider buying these even though I love the theme.

Some of the sound effects are excellent though and so is some of the custom music.

Rob

#2459 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm assuming there will be dialog from the film itself as well as custom call outs

Probably not? Watch the video and the clips the play specifically have no actor dialogue (mouth moving).

Rob

#2632 2 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I'm waiting to see IF the code gets finished.....then maybe I'll buy one.....maybe

Using other games like BM66 and SW as a baseline, .65 is maybe a year away from 1.0?

Rob

#2694 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

We had people placing orders on Star Wars while the code was literally burning out node boards. Why? Why are we supporting such lazy product development? There's absolutely no reason to do this anymore.

Lazy? I can say that you are blatantly wrong concerning Star Wars.

Rob

#2914 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

your on drugs, SW is a big fat miss just like most of the other tittles. I hate that some amazing titles are getting wasted. I just added a spidey vault and Metallica so I know they have it in them but Greg is right it is far and few between and the quality of the machines have dropped significantly.

Metallica wasn't exactly a home run when it first came out either. And Spider Man waited several years for the code to be updated/completed. You cannot compare a new released game to one that's been out for several years.

Rob

#2940 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not spending $5500 on "potential".
I spent $60 for Super Mario Odyssey - a full and complete GAME that I've put 60
hours of time into...and we're giving Stern $5500-$8500 for POTENTIAL!?!? Unreal.

Agreed. Buying a game based on what you think the potential could be is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Rob

#3108 2 years ago

Some one will need to ask Stern some time how you can license movie video, but not the audio? It's just a really bizarre thing when you think about it and it doesn't really do justice to the brand. I hope stuff like this doesn't become a trend.

If you were in charge of licensing and couldn't get the audio, would you just skip the license altogether then?

Rob

#3111 2 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

I don't think Stern released to cash in on the buzz of the holiday rush but it is definitely possible Stern released to make their Q4/2017 projections. Especially if Batman and Star Wars under performed. Who knows, I haven't gotten my LE yet but I am looking forward to getting early/this year even with unfinished code for now.
I have faith they will release updates and all will be good...

The release order does seem out of sync. You have a designer and programmer releasing 2 games in a year. You would think JT should have been next up (in order), but we all know what happened there.

Rob

#3112 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

This is why people get annoyed at the "praise new Stern games at any cost, everything is awesome" mentality of most fanboys. Many of us have no way of playing a new Stern for months after it's released. In Australia we have no way of playing a game if we want an LE. So we're left with either watching a Dead Flip stream, or reading reviews of people who have played it. You can only see so much of a game from a Dead Flip stream, and the commentary is completely biased (and justifiably so).

The Dead Flip streams have been fantastic! But, it's disappointing that Lonnie doesn't seem interested in participating. When they did AS, neither Ropp or Borg were present. Dwight and Steve were both present for GoT and SW. I appreciate it when they make themselves available like that.

Rob

#3299 2 years ago

omg........ The guy who does rocket doesn't even try to sound like rocket

A custom rom to replace the callouts with actual from movie callouts might work though. The voice actors seems to be following the actual movie dialogue.

Rob

#3341 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

TWD ended up good because of Lyman's code. The lack of show voices was a complete stern disaster and gotg is a history repeat except Lyman is busy with BM66 and Elvira and can't save this one. If I was Borg I'd want to punch someone in the face. He at least did his part and did it very well.

TWD doesn't really use the actors or scenes from the TV show. The difference is that GoTG does, plus it's real video so that makes it much worse I think. Some of it's ok, like the guy doing Ronan for example is decent. But, the guy doing Rocket is really, really bad. It doesn't even sound like him at all nor is there a believable tone in the voice.

Rob

#3504 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

hit a shot, get a satisfying sound effect/voice/light show choreography that makes you feel like an interactive part of the license. This game doesn't seem to do that. Modes are just "fake movie running" & hit the lit shots. There's no connective tissue.

At least SW DOES do this. If you make bad shots, you get called out for it too.

Rob

#3578 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Soon. I'm hearing another update is coming ASAP, maybe even this week as 0.72 has issues. At times the right flipper goes week for no reason at all.

That's generally a problem with the EOS switch gap. GB had that problem and it was fixed in a code update.

Rob

#3764 2 years ago
Quoted from Holden4:

Some uv pics of the gotg play field my distributor sent me earlier if anyone is interested;
https://www.facebook.com/pinstadi

Yet even more pinstadium 'advertising'? Ugh!

Is there a date for an LE dead flip stream yet?

Rob

#3809 2 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Also didn't like the select a mode before you plunge thing, just my personal preference. Gameplay at this point is pretty basic , after all the layout is very familiar, and the rules quite elementary, they will improve with time of course, but at this point after a few games I was pretty much done.

This has to be a design holdover from AS and KISS where you pick your song to start a ball. It would maybe be more fun if missions had to be qualified before you can choose them. I haven't played GoTG, but watched the streams. A few others have said they don't like the mission picking either.

Rob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside