2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What's wrong, jgentry? Sorry, but Groot was a much better character in the first movie....hopefully this game ignores GOTG 2, because Baby Groot was nothing more than a moronic butt of all the jokes. At ANY rate, Groot was easily the worst part of both movies. Would rather see physical Drax, Gamora, Starlord figures than a giant stupid tree head.
Magnets is great. Been way too long since Stern has used magnets without cores or plates over them.... here's hoping.
*Edit* Hell, I'd even take Yondu over Groot.

Nothings wrong, just down voting people that are already bitching that haven't seen anything but a few blurry pics of part of an unpopulated playfield.

#37 2 years ago

Can't tell much yet but I do think the Rocket and Groot sculpts look very detailed. Looking forward to the full reveal in a few days. I think this game has a chance to do really well for stern.

Quoted from Frax:

Well, I guess turnabout is fair play then. I said on the other thread BEFORE pictures were posted that the one thing I didn't want to see was a big Groot head, and there it is...so whatever.

Stop being a baby. You call me out for down voting you then you have to make sure that you get one back. Make sure to follow everyone else that's going to down vote your post around down voting them too. Wouldn't want them to feel left out.

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Here are the rumors I've heard:
- The game is rumored to be shipping in November
- It is rumored the game will be at IAAPA in Orlando which takes place November 13-17th
- Rumors that John Borg designed it and Christopher Franchi is the artist
- Rumored to have three flippers
- Rumored to have three ramps
- Rumored to have a large Groot head that is possibly like Rudy on Funhouse and possibly eats pinballs
- Rumored that an upper flipper is used to hit the Groot head
- Rumored to have one of the best toppers ever
- Rumored to see the full reveal tomorrow
http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-guardians-galaxy-rumor-round-jjp-pirates-new-info/

I like pretty much all of those rumors

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

This jut in!
This game is rumored to be AWESOME!
This Game is rumored to Help you Fall back in Love with STERN!
LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!
or just buy them both...

JJP looks to have a really good game coming up but they priced me out of their market. Plus I really don't care for those movies at all so the theme is a big meh for me. I'll take a cool band of misfit criminals turned hero's over a mincing pirate any day.

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Wish American pinball or JJP made this as I love the theme but won’t buy another Stern as quality and craftsmanship aren’t there anymore

Funny, I'm glad I don't have to pay $9500 to own one and I'm also glad a company that has never made a game before isn't making it.

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Shakers- No. There are maybe 5 games on the planet where a shaker should even be used. Every damn game shouldn't have a shaker, only if the theme warrants it.
Real backglass- no thanks. Ever had one burst in your hands? Screw that.
Anti glare glass- no thanks. This shit sucks. People in my house can't even tell what game even has it on. not one person.
Powder coated rails- Again...who cares.
what we really want ....is to have them shove this stuff up their ass, and bring back reasonable prices that reflect the disposable aspects the games are becoming.

old-man-yells-at-cloud (resized).jpg

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thats too bad, I was thinking of trying this just for dmd/back box light glare..

It absolutely does help. It won't completely get rid of it on games that glare really bad but it does help a decent amount.

#267 2 years ago

This forum just continues to get more and more negative. It's amazing how some of you can't even get excited about seeing a new game. Getting excited doesn't mean you have to buy the thing. Some of you have become so bitter you can't even enjoy the hobby anymore. There's also nothing wrong with someone that wants an LE or is already in. It's their money and they can do what they want with it. The whole stick together as a group thing and teach stern a lesson is hilarious. If stern starts losing money they are not going to lower prices, that's not how it works.

Personally I'm super excited for this game. Can't wait to see what Borg came up with and looking forward to getting to play something new. I've had pretty good experiences with stern and if I want one I will get one. If I buy it knowing the code isn't were I want it yet then that's my own fault if it never gets there.

#270 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Agreed, it is terrible what Stern has done to create such animosity.

Then why are you in a stern thread trying to see what their next game is?

#276 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Hopefully, the folks at Stern who read this forum will take note.

Of what? What has stern personally done to you to create such animosity as you put it? If you want them to take note you should at least list what they did to you to cause your hatred.

Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I would not let this bug you Zitt. I honestly do not believe that Stern was doing anything provocative here toward TNA. In fact, it is compliment to see one of the largest pinball manufacturers doing something with a similar art feel. Also, this style of retro-futurism art has been around for many years now and is gaining serious traction lately. It is the steampunk of the 80's. I would love to see this art style incorporated into GOTG and cannot wait for the full reveal.
--Scott

Looking forward to getting my TNA very soon. #17 will be heading to Nashville to set right between Flash Gordon and EBD.

#277 2 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Edited this post again - now hearing that it is going to have two flippers, not three as I originally posted

Stop changing your predictions for the worse. I liked it better with 3 of everything and 85 magnets.

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

LMAO. You can tell already by the pictures that there is no 3rd flipper unless it's in an odd place. 85 magnets sounds awesome. It will redirect the balls in games beside GOTG making other games feel like new experiences.

Exactly, just put it next to SW and you get the force magnets that everyone wanted. They can even advertise GOTG as a SW mod.

#328 2 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Guess they are doing the Groot Le for GOTG, like they did slimer with GB. Not a fan. Looks like premium will be the best overall package.

The premium has more groot then any of the models.

#844 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Does Stern ever make changes after these reveals? It seems like they really need to beta test the concepts and ideas and then balance after. This pin looks good, better than SW for sure but just a little community feedback would go a long way.

Yes, Borg definitely needs your input on his designs. He just makes bad game after bad game and needs pinside to show him how it's done

#1028 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Which history says we get what we get out of the gate and wait years for an update. See every other Lonnie game. I'm still waiting for the rumored AS and Kiss updates. So tired of the same old thing.
I love John Borg designs, but man I wish Dwight was coding this one. That combination of programmer and coder has not happened to my knowledge.

Not sure what you are waiting for. KISS has plenty of code and really isn't missing anything, they have already said they are not doing anything else with the cities. AS had great code out of the gate and only needs a little balance and polish and it's done. Your literally complaining about 2 of sterns most complete games when it comes to code.

#1034 2 years ago

My take on GOTG after a day to look at it

Art
Might be too colorful for some but I like it and think it's very well done. For me the pro has the best art package and the LE is my least favorite. I'm just not a huge fan of how the trim looks on it. Maybe it looks better in person. I love the inserts on this game!!!! They are the best looking inserts I have seen in pinball to date. I love the characters on the corresponding shots.

Layout
Nothing ground breaking but I like the mixed feel of IM and MET. Those ramps are in sweat locations and are going to be super smooth to shoot. Looks like 8 shots? Which is a lot for a standard body.

Toys
Lots of toys on this one even if it's nothing new. We get the ST drop target lock, Rocket is pretty much the war machine kick back which is my favorite kick back in pinball, 1-3 magnets which with good coding should be a lot of fun, and a talking groot head that is a bash toy and ball lock. The premium also gets the hands which look cool but may end up being a negative. Full RGB lighting on the premium/LE which I believe is Borg's first game with all RGB lighting.

Code
Don't know for sure but based on the rule sheet it will be a straight forward mode based game were everything on the playfield is used to increase values or add multipliers that last the length of the ball. 2 multiballs and 2 wizard modes. While I love what Lyman does I'm glad to have a straight forward easy to understand approach on this one. The code is going to make it feel very different then MET and if the modes are well done this is going to be a really fun game. They need to have the character shots well integrated for each mode and not just shoot the random blinking light. I want to be fighting bad guys and collecting characters to help based on how the mode went in the movies.

Sounds
Time will tell but the lack on song rights in a big let down. Stern should have spent a little extra coin and got a couple of them. If the original score is done well it might end up OK though. No TWD redneck or XMEN beast or everyone will be pissed.

If the code and sounds can come together stern is going to have a hit with this one. If they don't it will be a great shooting game that could have been so much more. I'm leaning towards picking up a premium on this one but like all Borg games the pro is going to be the best value and you won't lose much in game play. I mainly just want the full RGB lighting that the premium has.

#1074 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I dont believe its full rgb lighting? Pretty sure its just red, white, blue gi and just the arrow inserts are rgb on pro and premium/le models? Like on met ....

Feature matrix says RGB LED lighting for all inserts on the premium/LE unless that is a misprint.

#1254 2 years ago

You people really get worked up about some spinners. It's not like back in the 1980 Bally days when they were some of the main focus for points. In most stern games they really do not do a lot. The only one I can think of is War Machine on ACDC. Otherwise its just a thrown in add on with minimal scoring.

#1267 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Absolutely not. Look how sweet the Woodbury spinner is on TWD. You play the pro with that missing and it's not the same game.

The pro in a lot of ways is a better game. The spinner adds very little other then some sound effects. If you want a spinner then buy a premium or LE if it means that much. Stern has been doing this since they start the premium/LE thing so I don't really get everyone's whining now. All of Borg's pro models are pretty awesome and are the best values in pinball even without everyone precious spinners.

#1279 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Negative... go play the TWD Premium and you'll see the spinners are more than just something that makes sound effects. And Stern has not been doing this since they started the Prem/LE. Ever play Star Trek Pro? Can you imagine that game with its spinner neutered?
It's just so cheap.
But, as I said before (and you pointed out) its up to the buyer to decide if they'll support these practices. Stern can throw whatever they want onto the market, ultimately buyers are the ones that have to decide to support it or not.

I've owned an le and a premium and played a bunch on a pro. The pro plays the best and is a slightly harder game. I've owned both versions of ST and it wouldn't have bothered me if the pro didn't have a spinner. A little sparkling thing that spins is not going to determine if it's a good game or not.

It's pretty silly just how upset some of you are about spinners of all things. GOTG looks like a loaded pro and you lose almost nothing game play wise when getting a pro.

#1298 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Yes. Spinners could/should play a much larger role in the rules but they can't because Stern would rather save $10 on a pro and rip them out. Whatever, I'm out of this abusive relationship with Stern and their NiB offerings.

Now people are being abused by stern LOL. Dramatic much???

#1301 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I venture to guess Stern knows a bit more about their “BOM” and what’s working for them versus what’s not
A few people that don’t like the way things are isn’t gonna change a thing
Let’s see how the LE sales go this time. Maybe people keep buying em. I doubt it but this is a great theme imo, again
Stern is packaging and selling fun pins. Hard core anal pinheads will always bitch and whine about this or that. That’s part of the fun and pinball experience!

LE sales are going to be poor on this one. Most of the people that I know that have been LE buyers are getting a premium or pro because of that fugly armor. Sad part is stern did try to step it up a little on this one with art blades and a shaker. Not enough to justify $3200 or $1300 in difference. The game looks great though and is going to play awesome!!

#1354 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Not sure why everyone keeps insisting that Stern removed spinners for the Pro. This is a Borg game, and he has said on more than one occasion that he designs the Pro first, then adds for the Premium/LE. So the spinners are an "Add" for the Premium/LE.
Gary Stern didn't walk into Borg's office and demand the spinners be pulled off the Pro. Borg has a BOM to work with for each unit, and this is how he chose to spend it.

Don't come in here with you logical thinking and common sense. You obviously have not been in an abusive relationship with stern like Fytr. He said NO, but stern just wouldn't stop.

#1450 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Deck has been ordered!

Make sure you go with the composite boards, they will hold up better in your harsh winters.

#1474 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

You heard it here from SDTM, Guardians of the Galaxy will feature two classic songs from the film!!!!!! See what happens when the pinball community gives constructive feedback? Manufacturers listen! Nice job guys!!!!

Awesome news. One had better be Cherry Bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1477 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yes, I'm sure whiners on pinside is why this happened. It wasn't planned from the start or anything like that.

If it was planned stern would have listed that songs from the movie was included. So I really doubt it was planned.

#1634 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

JJP aswell, Spooky will garner heavy attacks from all sides, Why? because the games look like they were made in a garage for a school project?

To each there own. I have certainly enjoyed AMH and RZ. Both are really fun with really solid coding. TNA is built like a tank and there are rumors to be lots of upgrades coming for AC. Even if you don't like their games they at least seem to be really good people that take feedback and keep trying to improve.

#1705 2 years ago

How about a gloss black set of laser cut rails with either blue or purple inlay for those getting a premium. I think that would look great on this game.

#1893 2 years ago

I'm still excited about this game and I own Metallica. If Neo is right and I have to push it off of a roof in 10 years because of Spike 2 then that will at least make a good video. Premium or pro is the way to go on this one. Let stern sit on their LE's for that price.

#1918 2 years ago

I'm already looking into trebuchet designs so that I can have something ready for 10-15 years down the road when my game is dead. Todd Tuckey already pushed one off a roof so I need to step up my game. We can all meet at few hundred yards from sterns factory and start catapulting them back at them.

#1943 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Premiums are 7600 here now? Thought they were 7200? If that's true than no way im buying. I was thinking about it around 7 but not any more.

I believe $7300 is more the going rate.

#2087 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Guess you never had a white pie.

Guess you have never heard of white sauce

#2260 2 years ago

I kind of like the baby groot shooter handle but the other add ons look very meh. Going to have to do better then that to get more of my money.

#2271 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

It felt cheap to me,when I played it at TPF.I guess I’m spoiled to B/W and JJP now since I got Dialed In.

Your not spoiled, you are just missing out. Stern has numerous really good games. I've never understood the B/W snobs or the stern only people. Can't you just enjoy good pinball.

#2378 2 years ago

Well at least we know why it wasn't at expo. It wasn't ready yet. Looks like the rules are mostly in but the video and sounds have a long way to go which is a little disappointing. Game has a ton of potential though and the art and toys look great. One thing I found really funny was some of the people complaining about the layout being to similar to MET own 2 or all three of AFM, MM, and MB. Sometimes good things only keep getting better.

#2380 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

and maybe stern learned from last year when they had batman 66, which was on display but not playable

Maybe so. It's probably much more likely that Trudeau's game was next and just got pushed back after his legal/moral woes. Either way it looks like Borg and Franchi did a great job on this one. Now the programmers need to make it immersive and fun.

#2382 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Either they’re sand bagging some code, or they plan on working all weekend cause I don’t think it’ll be a good look to have jack danger stream this with no sound or audio clips. No?

I'm guessing they are already a couple of updates ahead of what is on those games at the show. Likely just hasn't been properly tested so they didn't risk updating them yet. At least I hope so, otherwise a lot of people are going to get really tired of hearing cherry bomb really quickly. The amount of audio and video missing is pretty alarming and is going to make a lot of people wait and see on the game, especially if things do lot look at lot further along on the stream coming up.

#2593 1 year ago

Wow, whoever at stern that has the power to make things change really should be seeking the advise of their customers. You just can't show something like this. They hurt sales with this stream. I'm sure with the Trudeau mess they are scrambling and trying to get a game out before the end of the year to meet sales goals but this is not helping them. They should have kept the line pumping with the game and had a stock pile of pro's, premiums, and LE's ready to ship and not released anything at all until the code was in the right place.

Who all would be buying if on Dec 11th stern announced the game had Deadflip record a bad ass video with 1.0 code that has all of the modes in, most of the call outs, and proper music and movie clip integration? Why did they not just wait on the release, have everything ready, have games in boxes, have Jack record the weekend before in secret. Drop everything at once with a giant bang, and oh, by the way, call you distro now and have your game in 2 days, pro's, premiums, and LE's are in boxes waiting for your Christmas order. Merry Christmas from stern and make sure you update your code first thing upon unboxing as we have blown the code out of the box since these were on the line.

#2598 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Maybe because then they have to increase their prices 25-30% ?

They already did that

So were is the damn code???

#2601 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yes, likely as one looks at the numbers of the New factory, and a reasonable ROI.
I have approached Gary a couple times about a simple "Suggestion Box" online.
I even volunteered myself for Free help.
Other than theme, a contest for features, toys, unique play, ideas, in general.
Winner(s) get a Free Game!
Stern gets Intelligent, Quality ideas from Thousands of Inputs!
Add some coders and I think, or hope most all of our complaints would change, and some
Brilliant ideas could come to life!
In 5 years of Pinside, 45 in Pinball, a lifetime of conversations....Pinheads are pretty damn smart,
and have some great ideas.....why not hear them?

arrogance and stubbornness is why

#2603 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

Yeah, try Dec. 11, 2018.

Nonsense, stern has known for months that this game was getting pushed up and that the code is going to need to be expedited. If it's that important to keep the line going they should have made the code equally as important. Add resources, pull people off other projects, stay late, do what is needed to make a successful release. I'm not blaming Lonnie for this at all. He can only work within the confines and time that stern gives him.

#2616 1 year ago
Quoted from T-800:

So, after 50+ pages of posts, the general consensus from what I've read:
From those that have actually played GOTG in person: "This game is fantastic, the shots are smooth and fast, the sounds are great, it's a heck of a lot of fun, I can't wait to see where they take this game. I really liked playing it."
From those that watched pixels flicker on and off of a screen: "This game stinks! I'm mean, sure it has phenomenal art, a fantastic layout, fast shots, a drop target, a magnet(s), physical ball lock, real backglass (LE), and licensed songs we cried for, but what the hell, where are the callouts that we've been told are coming?"
The stream may have been a little underwhelming in the custom callout department and a lack of complete theme integration with lighting and video at this point, but I'm going to wait to reserve judgement until I play it first hand and get my own idea of the game and where it is going to go code wise.
Ps. Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb. Augh.

I think it's more disappointment that stern is shipping a game with something that resembles code in it. The game has a ton of potential so to ship it out in that state is extremely disappointing. It might be amazing in a few weeks but people are going to be skeptical since this looks like BM66 launch code and BM66 is just now starting to get good. The art, layout and toys look great.

#2622 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

A December 11th reveal and the resulting orders would't be enough lead for distros to place orders, get stock, and fulfill orders in time for Christmas. This was likely driven by a need to ship as many games as possible in 2017.

Not really true, when stern has games in stock I can literally call my distro, wire the money, have the game in 2-3 days. I've done it a couple of different times. Different parts of the county might take 2-4 days longer but it can literally be that fast when they are already on pallets waiting for orders to come in. Most distro are drop shipping directly from stern so in most cases they never even touch the game.

I'm sure they are trying to get as many 2017 orders as possible, I don't think a rushed incomplete product accomplishes that though.

#2678 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

"Seems to be going?"... a plain and simple "has gone, long ago, " fits much better.
You want release ready games? JJP Dialed In... Spooky TNA.

Problem is that they are not ready at release. Stern is the only one that within a month of taking orders give or take 2 weeks is shipping games in mass quantity. Other companies simply can't make games at anything that resembles the rate of stern. That's not a negative against them but if someone is looking to buy a game right now it will be several months before they can have either POTC or TNA. Sure they can get DI, WOZ, or TH, but most people want what's new and fresh and those games were all announced over 1+ year for DI, 3+ for TH, 5+ for WOZ. Until another company can say here's the game, shipping in mass in 4 weeks, stern will continue to dominate the market as people do not like waiting. People will have already played GOTG for months and sold them on the secondary market while they are waiting on other companies to finish their order back logs.

#2709 1 year ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

Awesome! Thanks for the info

There's also over 100 games on rout in Nashville and Nashville just had a show 2 weeks ago.

#2714 1 year ago
Quoted from jar155:

Far worse. Literal bare bones. I honestly still can't understand how they pulled the trigger on that game with a straight face. Lyman will probably get good code on there at some point, but the geometry of the game will be forever busted though. Just played a few more games on it again a few nights ago. It's one chintzy and underbaked game from the physical design to the current code.

I played couple of games on the newest code a couple of weeks ago. I liked it and thought the new code was a huge step forward. It's an odd layout but that's not always a terrible thing. Stern has plenty of similar layouts so it was good to play something different. It didn't sell well due to no code, QC issues, and the money grab price hike. I think if most people went back and played it now they would enjoy it. Maybe not enough to justify the price tag but it's definitely getting better.

#2741 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That mindset is self-destructive and I have zero empathy for anyone who goes that way and moans afterwards. Unless you are an Op, this is a stupid mindset.
You should want the games that match your preference and appeal to you. If the appeal that attracts you is "its new!!" and not about the game itself, then you get what you deserve.
The "you can't get one right away" issue is only if you are trying to buy a game before production starts STOCKING inventory (aka.. I bought it before it started shipping). Even JJP has a reasonable turnaround for games (and distributors with inventory) once a game is in full production and not the first few weeks.
The problem is again... people getting wound up in NEWS and HYPE instead of actually shopping for good pinball machines.

Self destructive or not it happens on every release. Half the people that preorder do not even wait it out and jump to something else shiny before their preorder is ready to ship.

#2862 1 year ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Played it last night on location. Fun game, waaay better than SW even if the code is in early state. I just can't figure out why Stern had to fuck up the best theme in SW. So disappointing that a new theme like this gets more attention than the most prolific theme in sci fi. Stern, you lost all my respect and it will be hard to get me back as a NIB customer.

Lol, so because you didn't like how SW turned out you are going to not buy another NIB? Not because of code, QC, secondary market price drops, NIB price increases, spike concerns, etc, but because they didn't do your dream theme how you wanted.

#3017 1 year ago

Seems that new pinball really makes pinside angry these days. Or maybe everyone just likes to piss and moan and sound important. Pinside never misses a chance to tell each other how stupid they are.

News flash!!! We are all grown men buying 2K-15K toys that we play very little compared to the price and we are all F'ing idiots. Except it, move on, enjoy your games, get new ones if you like, none of it really matters.

#3052 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I agree. its poor planning.
Im not suggesting it be excused. I am saying, "wait".
I was sharing why it may have been released.
I think Stern and Pinsiders understand it was too early in the code.
Its more, "The Game sucks, because it was released with early code...and/or, I watched the Stream."
Yup, early code, got it. Having played 20 games now or so......
It looks Great, It shoots great.

Stop being logical with your "looks great, shoots great, lets see if the code comes along and maybe get one". You got to get pissed and have a little fit about it.

#3166 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Let me look up the last 10 games....yeah, pretty much all mediocre to horrible. That's not "hate", that's an opinion based on having played every single Stern, Sega & Data East game that has come out of that factory. The last 10 games do not measure up to their past output in terms of design, creativity, fun, features, or theme integration.

Strange, I've enjoyed most of them. Owned most of the recent releases from most of the companies and Stern's are still the most fun for me. Lots of variety inspite of what many of you claim.

#3183 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I thought this thread was about GOTG...

No, it's like every other stern thread. They must be bashed at every turn and for everything from the past, present, and future.

#3203 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes its awesome. Right up there with TWD

I wouldn't call it awesome yet, but getting tons better and a good game at this point.

My list would be

SW much better then initial reviews, unique varied code that is challenging and different.

Aerosmith is a killer game, fantastic art, one of Stern's best toys, simple code but plenty there.

BM66 had a terrible launch and it took forever, but it officially a good game in my book, an over priced code debacle, but it's very different and Lyman is making it come together

GB I just hate this game. I wasn't a huge fan of the art but think it has some great toys, unfortunately the code doesn't use them and it's a frustrating bore fest

SMVE over priced but a great game and great for those of us that despise Toby McGuire

WNBJM love this game, it just was over priced. The sound and art is awesome.

GOT great player with some of Stern's best code work. Ugly and not great theme integration. Code makes up for that.

KISS has great art and just looks awesome. Plays decent and Lyman's update really helped the game. Pro is a nice edition but the premium/let toys don't really add much. Not a great game but not bad

WWE is a interesting try, just didn't really come together or hit with the theme.

TWD is just not my favorite game. Fantastic deep code but I just never liked the layout and think the code doesn't match the layout. I see why others love it though.

Overall a really good list of games with only a few major misses and several really good games. Stern brings a lot of the criticism on themselves but pinside takes everything way too far.

#3213 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I know, that's one i need to get just for the callouts alone!

It's better then it gets credit for. The last few code updates have turned it into pretty complete game. A very unique layout so some will hate it. I love the look and the edge it has and the code is really fun. Definitely a good game in a larger collection to have something different. No other game will call you a chicken F'er

#3217 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's why you have to be F ed up when you play it!

Nah, im not really a fan of them or Aerosmith. Still makes good pinball music though.

#3246 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This sounds reminiscent of TWD, and we all know how that turned out.

Hillbilly I am groot?

#3248 1 year ago
Quoted from PW79:

"I rekcons I am groot"
"Hit Rocket if yonktoo"

That's cowboy, not hillbilly. Can't you differentiate between, cowboy, hillbilly, white trash, and redneck? My people are thoroughly insulted.

#3254 1 year ago

So after reading the IFPA thread a little I have come to believe that the call outs are not missing, stern has just suppressed them as a protest for the $1 tourney increases.

#3302 1 year ago

No voices from the movies = no sales. The sound package is crucial for implementing the theme. That is just plain awful for such a great theme.

#3306 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

randomkg just bought a machine. Maybe he’ll do a custom sound package and save this for Stern.

I'm tired of people having to fix sterns shit. Give us the movie sound clips and one of the actors doing custom call outs like in ST and BM66 or don't bother making the F'ing pin.

#3312 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Where's Jack Donger!?!?!? He said he heard the voices and they were hilarious....
We appreciate the streams, Jack...but don't lie to us for the sake of being on Stern's good side.

He said they were hilarious, he didn't say it was in a good way. Maybe he died laughing at that attempt by stern.

#3321 1 year ago

I think the best question is why would stern bother with this license if they do not get the full movie and actor rights from the movie? It's not like people are huge gotg fans so they made the movies. 99% of the world only knows the movies so the game has to fully represent that.

The art looks great, the gameplay looks good, code is meh and sounds are bad. A lot of us will say not good enough and keep our money.

#3331 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The songs/soundtrack or lack thereof is a bigger F up.
TWD plays just fine without original callouts or an LCD, thank you F ing very much.
And thanks to my favorite redneck pinballers!
Does anybody else think Wasp kind of looks like a bearded hillbilly Kaneda?

TWD ended up good because of Lyman's code. The lack of show voices was a complete stern disaster and gotg is a history repeat except Lyman is busy with BM66 and Elvira and can't save this one. If I was Borg I'd want to punch someone in the face. He at least did his part and did it very well.

Once someone does a customer sound package it will be a good enough game. It has zero chance of being on the level of Lotr, or IJ, or stnng, or any other game with an awesome sound package though.

#3347 1 year ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Players that play on location won't care and home collectors will use PB browser! Everybody wins.

I win, I just saved $7200.

#3348 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

TWD doesn't really use the actors or scenes from the TV show. The difference is that GoTG does, plus it's real video so that makes it much worse I think. Some of it's ok, like the guy doing Ronan for example is decent. But, the guy doing Rocket is really, really bad. It doesn't even sound like him at all nor is there a believable tone in the voice.
Rob

Strange, why did Lyman complain about it being a botched license and have to go back and remove actor callouts from the code then before it was released

#3359 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I get why you are distraught after buying this pin. You knew better Hank but it will be ok at the end of the day. Sell it and move on.
Deadpool is gonna suck too and so is another VE.
Yes, LE orders will be abysmal on GOTG but for the simple fact that its way overpriced for what you get and 600 isn't "limited".

Deadpool without movie clips and voices and I'm out again. Tron VE will do good, otherwise there's not a ton left to VE.

#3362 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

LOTR is standing right there!

You can buy those in the low 5's. Stern will want $7300 for a VE. If others want it I say make a pile of them. I'm out for that price though.

#3365 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Bought my LOTRLE for $5200, sold it for $6300, will never own another one.
CGC interests me MUCH more. The Stern VE pins don't have enough age on them.

Even they better hire a pin designer pretty soon. They will run out of viable remakes quickly after about 3 more.

#3368 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah that would be great. IF they could only redo it with an LCD I'd buy another one right now!
Update it with Negan etc. Yep, no brainer for me

Negan with stern hillbilly voice? Goats for dinner Lucille.

#3370 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Where is Elwin? I thought he was the next guy.

They probably are busy forcing him to remove things from the Archer layout to make it fit the build of materials so they can call it Deadpool. All joking aside I am looking forward to seeing what he does. I think they need to give Borg and SR a break and more development time in 2018. Let Elwin, Nordman, and Mark Ritchie have the 2018 releases. It should be exciting.

#3376 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Is Mark Ritchie working at Stern? That would be exciting!

Was rumored to be working on Pulp Fiction for a long time but apparently there was a license issue. From what was rumored he has a layout ready though so stern needs to find him something to apply it too.

#3377 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

x100. Mark Ritchie had a Pulp Fiction layout ready to go until they ran into "licensing issues".
New blood and ideas are a good thing.

And that's not a knock on Borg or SR. Both have carried stern for years now and have to be feeling the burnout a little. Time to reflect back and come back fresh is always a good thing.

#3424 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Hahaha very true very true. I was very concerned about the gameplay and rules so I went pro in efforts to see if I wanted to upgrade later. I uploaded latest code last night with callouts and people are freaking out while I’m over here having a blast. Being as objective as I can, the machine has exceptional art, beautiful LCD video, tight shots, challenging modes, nearly impossible to achieve wizard mode, satisfying multiballs, and it is wicked fast. I keep coming back for more games more than previous machines. Code is similar to Aerosmith but the effects and satisfaction are better. The downsides to this pin is basic code (albeit fun mode based), it’s loud due to clanky trough kicker and strength of coils, and callouts aren’t terrific (they are fine though). Ball times are similar to Metallica but shots are much more difficult so a lot of missed shots. It plays with the speed of iron man. It’s fun enough that I don’t care about the community feedback and I typically care a lot about the feedback from other hobbyists.
Will I change my thoughts on gotg over time? Possibly, but for now I’m truly happy with it. But we will see what Greg thinks and the rest of the community.

I think it's still going to be a really good pin. Just is never going to be as good as it could have been without the movie voices and I think that is why people are disappointed.

#3426 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

That is a very fair complaint

It still has great art, great layout, good toys, full rgb ligting on the premiums/le. People will change out the terrible stern voice actors for movie clips and all will be well. It just won't be a LOTR epic style sound package and this is one game were the sound package was so important to fans of the movies.

As a big fan of the movies I'll be waiting on this one. I also already own Met and AS so I'm going to have to play it a good amount as I'm not sure I need another game that has similar (nearly identical) code as AS and a game that shoots similar to met. I own AFM and MM though so it might not matter in the end.

#3454 1 year ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

TNA has ZERO call outs!!! And costs more! Grab your pitchforks! I'm going streaking in the quad! Who's with me!!!

Yes it does, have even played the game?

#3456 1 year ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Don't even get me started on that dumpster fire.

Please get started so we can all be educated. Most of us will never have the opportunity to own as many perfect 10 games as you have so we would all appreciate your help.

#3458 1 year ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Damn...still going streaking!!

Was it cold out there or something?

#3459 1 year ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I've played TNA! Thanks to you! Good lord what a great game.

Your welcome to swing by and play it anytime.

#3491 1 year ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

You sound ridiculous. The base version of the JJP is $8500. The base version of the Stern is $5500. Ill save the $3k and use pinball browser to add in the callouts instead of paying 3k more.
Yeah, its all disjoined and beta code. Thats the way Stern is these days. Bitch as much as you like, but its probably not going to change. TWD took years to get as good as it is now. Give it some time.

Yes it's ridiculous to expect a 5400 game to have the sound rights to the movie theme it is based on . I can go to any toy store and find a star lord doll (erhm, I mean action figure) that has quotes from the movies installed in it. If they are going to keep raising prices then they had better use some of that money to make complete games. There are lots of options these days and more and more people are not going to settle for a game just because it's new. I'm a big stern fan and I think this will still be a good game that is fun to play but it's currently not good enough for me to buy. It's not getting my money at the moment and lots of others feel the same way.

#3609 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I'll get over myself if you get over yourself for being so sensitive for issues other people have with Stern games
Never known someone so sensitive over people's issues with big boy toys

Seriously, you've never known people to be this sensitive? Everyone is offended and sensitive about everything in today's world including yourself.

I'll get over myself when you get over yourself and I'm rubber and you're glue and blah blah blah.

#3612 1 year ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

This post offends me.

f3ee970a8a4e2a73fd8a6df1d8a3c3af (resized).jpg

#3616 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The fact you think I was talking crap shows we are a million miles away from ever agreeing.
Simple answer to all of this.......
Bye

Your going to be in time out and miss recess if you don't simmer down.

#3673 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

One of the probl

This type of thing I what I find the most negative around here. Way overuse of hyperbolic statements and what is with the cheap shot at ESL? Way too many people take the if you don't share my opinion you are wrong and don't even like pinball. Don't like a pin then you probably didn't ACTUALLY play it.
Maybe we are all different from different backgrounds and have different standards. Just because someone doesn't like something is not an attack on you, people are way too sensitive about their pins.
Man that ignorance of that dyslexic ESL students screaming statement pisses me off. You do realize dyslexia is a learning disorder related to reading and writing and not speaking?

Lol, now you are offended that he's offended. While not the nicest way to put it I bet he wasnt trying to insult dyslexic people just like someone else is not going around raping people.

Everyone needs to stop taking every word written on the internet so seriously and you suddenly will not be as offended.

#3706 1 year ago

I don't even know what you guys are fighting about anymore. I was just disappointed with the sound package.....

On a positive note, TWD just got a huge surprise update. Lyman killing it slowly but surely.

#3758 1 year ago
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
9,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside