50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#858 6 years ago
Quoted from Potus:

They misspelled Hardon

Here you go...

HadronHadron

I assume they used this joke several times across the two films, but I cannot seem to remember it.

#879 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Lots of new listings in the market today...the softening HUO market is about to get softer...

Maybe you could pad your pin-fund by printing some t-shirts:
"The Softening HUO Market Gives Me a Hadron"

#895 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I assume you just copy/pasted from the last title? Pretty funny but you honestly post almost the exact same thing for every new Stern to come out, lol.
Big surprise that you love the game

They removed the spinners from Star Wars Pro?

#1209 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Is that before or after they give you a hand job?

Mind the splinters.

#1290 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not one size fits all. It's keeping all the core functionality in line. It's actually harder on Stern themselves to split the code base. They have two targets to code for, rather than one.

True, Stern's adding work for themselves by doing it this way. So why do it? They're asking people to pay $1800 to upgrade to the Premium, and it seems obvious that they'll get a lot more sales at the Premium level if there's a "real" difference between the two, as opposed to just alternate art. I'd bet they would lose half or more of their Premium sales if they made the change you suggest (in this thread alone there are several posters who say they went with Premiums specifically to get the extra play-related features). I'd also bet that they factored in the cost of increased coding and support when they decided to adopt the three-tiered approach.

Look, I get why you don't like this policy. If Stern would change its ways you'd never consider buying anything other than a Stern Pro. But that's the point, right? Stern's job is to make it hard for you not to buy the Premium.

#1334 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Exactly. Stern's viewing spinners as an added value extra, but we know it's a $5 item. That won't cause a price hike on the Pro. "Bling" like moving Rocket & opening orb are the type of differences that are OK since they don't affect anything the ball interacts with. Would be nice to see spinners on Pro, and some other bling on the Prem/LE to compensate. Something like figurines of the other characters that light up when their shots are collected...or a ship with lighting or movement....or a cool topper.

Put all the fun to play stuff on the cheap model! Put a bunch of non-interactive "bling" that half of the pinball community doesn't care about on the expensive model! Sit back and watch sales of your Premium machines plummet!

Great advice from the buyer's perspective. Lousy business advice for Stern.

#1340 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

We’re talking about a f*cking spinner. The Hyperloop toy on SW is a great example of a Premium type of feature. Another great example is the left ramp popping up and revealing a zombie head. A spinner is an off the shelf pinball part. Find a better way to justify your price gouging.

Some people are talking about a spinner. Some people are talking about having zero difference in how the Pro and Premium/LE games play. Regardless, you don't have to like it but it's obvious why Stern would do this -- they need to make the Premium and LE more desirable. If it's got more stuff on the playfield, it's more desirable to many people.

Quoted from jar155:

But...JJP puts all the gameplay in their standard model and it's still not the most popular one. They still sell more LEs than standards. It might actually get more people to buy a new machine rather than a used game or two as well. When the new game has a no-compromise (in regards to gameplay, anyway) entry that isn't much higher than a lot of new games, the new game looks more attractive. Stern had no trouble selling out the Black Spider-Man or the Gold Lord of the Rings games. Neither offered more in regards to gameplay.

JJP LEs (their mid-tier machine) are a different case. They're only 12% more expensive (vs a 33% jump from Stern Pro to Stern Premium) and they include stuff that's presumably somewhat expensive for JJP to add (shaker, invisiglass). That's great for the buyer, but how much additional profit do you think JJP makes on an LE sale vs a Standard? Can't be close to what Stern clears on a Premium sale vs a Pro. A better comparison would be sales of JJP's LE vs their CE (the % price increase is more similar, and the enhancements are more purely aesthetic and probably cheaper for JJP).

Again, you don't have to like the model or support it with purchases, but it makes business sense to try and incentivize all of your customers to step up a tier when they buy one of your games. Not just the buyers that are motivated by different playfield art or non-interactive toys.

#1345 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

AND PEOPLE ARE STILL BUYING THE HIGHER TRIM. WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND HERE?!
Collectors will still buy whatever is perceived to be better. You don't have to gimp out your entry model. That. Is. The. Point.

Just because some "collectors" will buy anything with some gold paint and a number plate slapped on it doesn't mean you maximize profit that way. If you can sell substantially more of your mid-tier product by doing what Stern does (or to stoop to a cargument, offer an upgraded engine and not just leather seats on your LE), and the increased cost of adding and servicing those enhancements is offset by your increased profits, then why in the world wouldn't you?

#1392 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Because the game code isn't operational...I am sure Stern will release with some Alpha code, and then finish it up in 2020....

SW code was in good shape when it shipped. I wouldn't assume GOTG will be non-operational.

#1397 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I'm not a fan of SW code as there are a ton of bugs. I have my SW next to Dialed In and it makes me sad comparing the two. I liked SW until I put it beside Dialed In and all I think about is the box of lights comment by Gary Stern.

What bugs in current code? I’ve been playing the hell out of mine but maybe I’m less discerning.

#1427 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

really? I have a SW LE and thought it was average at best....the simple fact their still shipping with Beta code is total BS...I guess I'm used to JJP quality

You don’t have to like the code, of course. I was just asking what bugs you’re experiencing (or did you mean you were experiencing bugs in July but not with the current 0.93 code?) I got mine in September so started off with 0.89, though I put a bunch of time in on a Pro right at launch and didn’t run into any game crippling bugs.

#1476 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

You heard it here from SDTM, Guardians of the Galaxy will feature two classic songs from the film!!!!!!

Will one of them be the Hasselhoff song from the GOTG2 end credits? Should be a cheap license! Maybe that plus the Pina Colada song?

#1521 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I well known pinball podcaster just sent me evidence that these side rails were left over from an early prototype WWE LE machine:

I'd forgotten that Zoe Saladana was in the Legion of Doom.

#1551 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Cherry Bomb must be high odds.
Fox on the Run would provide link to second movie and would be great to play to.

They’ve got to save a few songs for the Dazed and Confused pin when that comes out though ...

#1734 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

That is only the the half of it. She prefers the Chris Pratt rendering on the pro trans light (he is small and wearing a mask on the LE version) so we are buying a pro trans light to put in it. I'm sure Stern loves us.

Just make sure that the LE doesn't ship with all three translites, like they did with Star Wars LE (probably a different deal since you're getting a real backglass with the LE, but probably worth asking so you don't end up with two Pro translites).

#1743 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

In really curious if the premium will be worth the extra over the pro. I like the extra magnets, and arms, but what else really is there? I'm assuming the arms could be purchased separately later or a mod.

Stern probably won't sell the arms separately later (I think they generally try to discourage you from "working your way up" to a Premium or LE that way), but someone else assuredly will. Check out the aftermarket Millennium Falcons for SW Pro. Of course there, it seems Stern was using a commercially available toy so it may be slightly harder to get an exact duplicate for Groot Arms, but someone will figure it out.

#1748 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Batman66 SLE did that as well. Seems to be a new trend with Stern.

I figured they threw in the other translites on SW LE since everyone was complaining about no real backglass, and many folks seemed to like the Premium translite best. Since GOTG has an actual backglass again, no extra translites (since they'd then also need to include a sheet of clear glass and channels if they wanted people to be able to use them).

#1870 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Dude, no. SPIKE is objectively a step backwards in nearly every way. Higher failure rates, inability to diagnose, more expense for the end user over time, more difficult to repair, less friendly to modders, and far less interchangeability between games.

I'm not disagreeing with your other points, but how do we know that Spike has a higher failure rate than SAM or Whitestar? I've seen some reports of node board failures on Pinside, but have no way to judge if it's a .1%, 1%, 5% etc. failure rate. I'd think it would be tough for anyone but Stern to evaluate comparative failure rates with much confidence.

#1904 6 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

Sadly I've had a backyard firepit conversation about this soundtrack 2 years ago and took a history of music college course. Glad this will finally pay off. I'm actually surprised how many people are getting their genres confused, after listening to Kaneda's podcast, I think some others will even be more confused as a lot of songs were attributed to the wrong genre.
GOTG Vol 1. soundtrack did hit #1 on the Rock Billboard charts in the US but is comprised of a lot of pop songs and pop / rock fusion songs.
I think Stern actually did mean pop songs. This should directly tell us what songs are on the table as a lot of GOTG songs (7) actually fall under the pop genre. Looking at the Vol. 1 soundtrack song genres.
Pop-
Hooked on a Feeling
I Want You Back
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Power Pop (subgenre)
Go All the Way
Pop Rock - Soft Rock (subgenre)
Come and Get your love
I'm Not in Love
Escape "The Pina Colada Song"
Non-pop songs -
Spirit in the Sky
Moonage Daydream
Cherry Bomb
O-o-h Child (though Chicago Soul has elements of pop)
Fooled Around and Fell in Love

Fantastic stuff!

#1933 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Call them and ask
Doubt you get any answers. Just dont buy those games if it concerns you.

You could try asking on their Facebook page. If you do, phrase your question in a positive way and without a hysterical edge to it to avoid being immediately deleted.

I have another question. As I understand it, the Spike games so far have all had at least some game-specific node boards. Is there an obvious reason that future replacement node boards couldn't be designed to be compatible with multiple titles? If this is possible, and if Stern committed to doing this, it might address some of the concerns about Stern's incentive to provide long-term support for Spike node board replacement.

#1939 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

20%import tax on product price + shipping cost!

Does the 20% import tax apply to used game imports as well? (I'm guessing it does, of course!)

#1945 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Premiums are 7600 here now? Thought they were 7200? If that's true than no way im buying. I was thinking about it around 7 but not any more.

MSRP for the Premium is $7,600. Retail will be a few hundred less than that (I think people were paying $7200 shipped for SW, I'd guess GOTG will be the same since MSRP did not go up?)

#1949 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Of course it concerns me. I know nothing about these boards so when you have multiple people saying our games won’t be any good in ten years, a person would be a total F’ing idiot to at least not wonder if there any truth to the matter or not so that’s where my curiosity stems from. As far as not buying new games, that’s not the answer that I’m looking for. I want to buy new games. All I want to know is are these games really disposable? My common sense tells me no, but I’m also not educated enough about electronics to truthfully know that.

Just sell them within ten years, let the next guy worry about the self-destructing unobtanium node boards, and you're sound as a pound! (Perhaps a poor metaphor, given what the British have to pay for Stern games).

Seriously, no one knows. You can either hold off until you're confident you can repair them yourself or that parts will definitely be available (not sure if/when either of those will happen), or figure that the chances of you still owning the game in ten years are relatively low, and in any event if people are still playing pinball in ten years the market will figure out a way to keep these machines running if they're still worth something (and if they're not, the age of parts machines will be back).

#1988 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

What? Hollywood would never just use characters for the cute aspect.......
j/k, of course they would, lol. Exhibit A: the new Porgs in star wars:

Please put that exhibit away, you’re making me anxious about the new Star Wars ...

#2101 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's weird, you'd think this was a band pin.

Well it’s not that weird that people are talking music in this thread ... it’s not a band pin but the movies prominently feature mix tapes and are very self conscious about what music is playing at all times.

#2119 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if it was used for promotion, it's not a sound track song.

Or alternately, it’s on the official soundtrack, therefore it’s literally a soundtrack song.

Also the backstory on that song is awesome, the artist wanted to cash in on the Christian rock craze but knew little about Christianity, so he just threw it together based on his rough impressions. Instant classic!

#2124 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's been awhile since I had the actual soundtrack in my hand. I pulled all the songs off and made them MP3 so I can have them on my car chip. I didn't pull that one off tho. Must have been because it was never in the movie. Seems weird they put it on the soundtrack when it wasn't even used in the movie. never seen that before.

It’s strangely common to use songs in previews that aren’t in the movie (first one I remember noticing was actually “Mr. Blue Sky” from the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind preview, which I was then psyched to hear in the movie and of course did not). But I don’t know how often those songs make it onto the soundtrack! Maybe it was planned to be used in a deleted scene or something? Or maybe they were buying the rights anyway so figured what the hell let’s throw it on the soundtrack? Either way, a bit odd.

#2278 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Looks great but is anyone else wondering where the hell the Star Wars accessories are?

I imagine it has to be an issue with getting licensor approvals -- there's no way Stern would voluntarily sit on their hands for months and lose all those sales.

#2294 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I have been told, directly, by people who work there that they get 4 1/2 months from start to boxed games to do the software.

If the "one game a year per programmer" thing is correct, then they presumably also have 7 1/2 months after a game launches to continue polishing the code (or work on code from their prior releases, which happens sometimes) before they would have to drop everything and start coding their next new title. Did you get confirmation that this is how it works? Or are they tasked with something else during that 7 1/2 months (or put on furlough or something)?

#2299 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

At some point you have to be honest though. Stern isn't even trying to do anything unique here. This is a legit recycling of code and just changing the name of things.

On the flip side, if they innovate they risk people disliking the new approach to code. Exhibit one would be the Star Wars shot multiplier. If they stick close to tried and true code (and/or layout), then they can more safely predict how buyers will react.

#2336 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

They start on the next game right away, and maybe do some cleanup on previous games. They're not sitting around with their thumbs up their ass. Also they might be working on multiple new games concurrently.

I understand that you're just reporting what you heard, but think through the math of what you're saying: Each programmer has 4.5 months to complete a game before it ship. Then shifts immediately to the next game, on which he will have 4.5 months. So each programmer should have 2.66 games per year shipping. We know that's not the case (in real life we see about one game per programmer per year), so that cannot accurately reflect Stern's process.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2388 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

Or just him doing call-outs on a Talladega Nights pin!
"So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?"
"Shake 'n bake!"

Sounds perfect for the NASCAR Vault Edition!

#2441 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I want to see a giant Milano topper.

You could put together a little diorama like this and save yourself about $393 ...

Milano (resized).jpgMilano (resized).jpg

#2705 6 years ago
Quoted from frankay39:

Look at Star Wars. A full trilogy of amazing movies and the screen and audio are awful.

I'm pretty satisfied with the screen on Star Wars (other than the stupid looking Mystery sequence), but would agree that it's nowhere near Hobbit-level so probably not worth debating. But in what ways, specifically is the audio "awful" in Star Wars? Too much sound and character speech from the movies? Too many John Williams tunes?

#2717 6 years ago
Quoted from frankay39:

Not bad audio choices, just integration. The way the sound and video work in unison in a JJP pin is very immersive. Stern, at least for me, hasn't captured that with any of their LCD games yet.

It's all subjective of course, but I've found just the opposite with the sound package on Star Wars. The use of movie sound clips in the modes is very entertaining, and the music cues for different modes and events are well done (e.g. the tense music for the Hyperspace Hurryup). I haven't played it nearly as much, but I have no real complaints about the sound on Aerosmith either.

That said, I do hope Stern continues to improve their use of the LED screen. Another reason that it's great having multiple manufacturers, so they can continue to compete and steal ideas from each other.

#2762 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Is there anything in the media that makes you say "ahh.. pinball and star wars together!!" - No
Honestly the most integrated part of the game is the idea the death star is a 'kill shot' that ties into some mode rules
The rest of the game is a media slideshow synchronized to you playing a separate pinball machine.... that uses a star wars sound library.
People are happy it's using true star wars assets (photos, sounds, music) - but completely missing that none of it is tailored to the game, nor is it particularly integrated all that well. The media resources and how the player intermix is incredibly static and stiff. Hit target, play sound... Start Mode.. play loop.. hit target.. play clip.

Is there anything in the display and sound that makes me says "ahh, pinball and Star Wars together"? Yes there is. Take Rescue the Princess, for instance, which plays situationally appropriate sound clips when you miss your shots (Han shouting "what the hell are you doing?" or Leia's sarcastic "you came in here, didn't you have a plan for getting out?"). Or Lightsaber Duel, which uses sound and lighting to great effect. Or Hyperspace Hurryup and ball lock sequence, which again use the music, SFX, display and lighting to great effect. At least for me, the SW "media" package is not perfect, but it actually works pretty well in context, and makes a fast, fun shooting game even more enjoyable to play.

"Integration," "intermixing," "world under glass" etc. are of course all totally subjective, so I don't expect to change your or anyone else's mind. Just reflecting that not everyone views Star Wars as a horrible mishmash of clips and quotable quotes ripped thoughtlessly from the movies.

#2774 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I didn't say the clips were random... they just have very weak correlation and there is nothing but Gandolf telling you that you scored a jackpot that is really pinball unique.

If the version of SW you played featured Gandalf doing callouts, I begin to understand your complaint re: theme integration....

#2779 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That's the joke... once you think it, you'll never unhear it. The akbar sound alike is so horrible, he sounds more like Gandolf than akbar

You’re right that he would be an absolutely terrible Ackbar. Likewise he’d be a terrible Lando and a terrible Obi-wan. Of course he’s not intended to be any of those characters!

The narrator is British, but otherwise doesn’t sound much like Gandalf.

Unless your joke was pretending that you thought the narrator was meant to be Ackbar in the first place, in which case ... touché?

#2781 6 years ago

[Delete]

#2855 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Gary always said "We're not in the games business, we're in the manufacturing business"...however, they were delivering good games, complete & fun experiences. Howevever the past few years, Gary's mantra has finally come true - Stern has proven without a doubt that they're not in the games business. Creativity and fun aren't at the core of their goals. They're 100% a marketing and manufacturing business. If a good & fun game actually comes out of that factory, it's a fluke at this point.

Seems a tad melodramatic. Whatever Gary's goals may be, I doubt that the many experienced hands Stern has making machines have given up on "creativity" and "fun." And I'd have a hard time taking much seriously from anyone that thinks none of Stern's games made in the past few years have offered "fun experiences."

#2913 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It all depends on what you're comparing Stern to. I wouldn't disagree with what you're saying. But, I'm also not 100% convinced that a passion for pinball is what's driving Stern. They definitely have a passion for manufacturing pinball... but I'm not always so sure they have a passion for the game as a driving force.

Seems like we're almost getting into a philosophical realm with this discussion. I get that people get an unquantifiable good feeling from supporting small businesses and underdogs (like Spooky or JJP) that they're not going to get buying a Stern game, and that can't be discounted. But otherwise, who really cares what management's motivation is? Either the end product is a fun to play (or fun to own) pinball machine, or it's not. There's plenty not to like about Stern's recent track record with QA/QC and release-day code quality, but it seems like a shame to let that spoil your experience playing what have turned out to be some legitimately fun pinball machines.

#2961 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe I'll pick up a PS4 this weekend. They're less than $200 everywhere this weekend.

If you have (or will upgrade to) a newer HDTV, I’d spend the extra coin for a PS4 Pro, even if it’s not getting BF discounts. 4K support and better frame rates are worth the premium (which as you point out, is nothing next to what you’d spend on a pinball machine).

Quoted from rubberducks:

Can't comment on the validity of your Vault theory. I do think they'dbe missing a trick not to do TWD VE with comic book art in future though.

Agreed - they’d tap a new audience that didn’t love the show-themed art package, and probably get some double dipping from current owners that like the comics.

#2974 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm sick of this sycophancy.

I know you love using that word, and while it is insulting, it’s also inaccurate. It doesn’t mean “blind loyalty,” it means “obsequious behavior toward someone important in order to gain advantage” (thanks Google). Do you really think people are kissing up to Gary Stern in hopes that he’ll bestow some special favor on them?

#3023 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not spending $5500 on "potential". I spent $60 for Super Mario Odyssey - a full and complete GAME that I've put 60 hours of time into...and we're giving Stern $5500-$8500 for POTENTIAL!?!? Unreal.

Quoted from HighProtein:

You spent X amount on TV, system, etc... to play it, not a great analogy...

Personally, I prefer the guy that posts about all the hookers and blow he could have bought with that $5000.

Spending $1000s on pinball machines is objectively silly, there’s no getting around it. But with 24 games in his collection, Rarehero is still 5x as silly as me

#3050 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Agreed....and imagine how bad this would be if we couldn't update via USB and still had to use ROMs instead.....

Or if it was EM days and you had to rewire the entire machine to update the "code."

#3193 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Maybe because the people coding are tournament nuts who play games for the highest score..? I agree though, this ruleset is not the best, I mean look no further than GOT and SW. I like the layouts (We'll overlook the art and toys) but every time I play those games I have to ask ppl what am I shooting for now.

To some extent this is an issue with any modern pin. If you want complex rulesets, there's going to be a learning curve. If you own the game and learn its subtleties, it's easy to forget that it's not intuitive to newcomers. I had no idea what I was doing when I first played SW beyond "shoot the flashing lights," but the same was true for Hobbit and DI.

#3260 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Being completely honest I'm surprised Stern hasn't reached out and said anything at all about it yet.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Really? What in Stern's history leads you to believe that THEY believe communication will help? Same old, same old. We're just mushrooms to them.

Stern would be correct that communication won't help anything here. Unless Disney gave them a firm commitment to approve stuff by X date (ha!), I doubt they could provide a credible date by which they'll release code with callouts. Shipping revised code will help, the kinds of generic statements they could credibly make right now would just piss people off further.

#3289 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Told you F'rs.
Full disclosure: I haven't watched the stream so I'm just being argumentative. Did I spell dat right?

Nope. It's spelled "F#@kers."

#3290 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Thankfully the original Spider-Man was approved by SONY and Iron Man was approved by PARAMOUNT...I think it's official, anything approved my Marvel is going to sound like SHIIIIIIIIT

SW sounds fine, thanks.

#3360 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Deadpool without movie clips and voices and I'm out again. Tron VE will do good, otherwise there's not a ton left to VE.

LOTR is standing right there!

#3373 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

They probably are busy forcing him to remove things from the Archer layout to make it fit the build of materials so they can call it Deadpool. All joking aside I am looking forward to seeing what he does. I think they need to give Borg and SR a break and more development time in 2018. Let Elwin, Nordman, and Mark Ritchie have the 2018 releases. It should be exciting.

Is Mark Ritchie working at Stern? That would be exciting!

#3546 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

The first person to fix the Guardians songs and call outs in Pinball Browser will be a hero.

How does Pinball Browser work with the LED? Are the video and audio files always separate, so that you could just swap the sound that plays alongside a particular video clip? Or is the "replacement dialog" embedded in the video clip, so you'd need to replace the entire thing to get the movie sound in?

#3553 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

at this point its a toss up. Batman has better code at the moment, and looks like the code will only be getting better, but to me batman is a clunker of a shooter. Guardians shoots phenomenally well and is is brutal fast, but the code needs more time to bake on it.

Also, remember he's buying for route play. GOTG is ~$2k cheaper than BM66, and might outperform based on theme alone in most locations.

#3563 6 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

Based on just buying a B66 premium and knowing the HUGE deals that are out there NIB for this pin... Your price range is simply not true. You just have to know where to look for both GotG and B66.
Brian

Didn't mean to spread misinformation, I figured BM66 was retailing for ~$7200 like other Stern Premiums (so ~$1800 more than GOTG Pro at $5400).

What did you pay for your NIB BM66?

#3564 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

How does Pinball Browser work with the LED?

Someone did a SW revision adding in more John Williams tracks (I thought they used Pinball Browser, but maybe not?) So some level of sound replacement appears to be possible on Spike. But are you saying you cannot modify the video images or LED screen display with Pinball Browser, only the sound?

#3568 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Yes, that’s correct. Sounds, yes.

So then it's back to the question of whether the dialog that plays during the movie clips is "attached" to the movie clips in some way, or if they're stored as separate sound files like the music cues and accessible through Pinball Browser.

#3570 6 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

Sounds like it depends. If Stern incorporated the bad dialogue in with the video, it’s hosed. If it’s a separate track (pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease) then the sound could be replaced.

Yeah - could be an idiotic question I’m asking, I just know nothing about how Pinball Browser (and the Spike file system) work.

1 week later
#3912 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Don’t want to derail thread, but I’m very interested in why people like SW. Maybe code + theme (+integration?). The SW layout is weird, and maybe takes getting used to? GOTG shoots great right out of the box, in comparison. GOTG art package also way better.

jar155 has played a lot of SW and just plain hates it. Which is totally fair, he gave it a more than fair shot and it's not for him. I think he detests the multiplier shifting with the apron-button that's a key element of the game, and hates the Hyperloop ramp implementation on the LE, among other things, so lots of deal breakers for him. My impression is he's also a big fan of the Star Wars theme and so felt extra-disappointed that Stern didn't make a game he could love (or even tolerate).

As for me, I like SW because it's tough and super-fast with satisfying shots (I don't agree that it "shoots weird," unless you're talking about the Premium/LE ramp, which is more debatable) and lots to pursue (i.e. "deep code"). I love the multiplier shifting, it's a novel feature and adds a great and unique risk-reward element. The theme integration, including the art package, is certainly imperfect, but it works well, with good use of sound clips, music and lighting to give the many modes their own unique character. I've got a Premium and I like the Hyperloop because it's just plain exhilarating when you activate and are able to start loading balls. But I get the other side of the argument (including from many people that love SW Pro but wouldn't want a Premium) that it kills flow and is too hard of a shot to consistently make.

By releasing a pretty bare-bones design they immediately turned lots of people off, as it played into the sense that Stern's putting profits above quality at every turn. But nevertheless SW turns out to be a lot of fun if you give it a chance. IMO, of course.

Oh, and I haven't played GOTG yet, so maybe I'll think it shoots even better than SW. I'll have to get out to the local barcade this week to give it a spin.

#3935 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You're not alone. We skipped Star Wars and GotG. I'm not supporting Stern again until they start shipping games with at LEAST a base 1.00 level of feature-complete software. Improve it later? Sure. But ship it at historical normal levels of completion. 3 unfinished (two WILDLY unfinished, and one sorta close) games in the last 12 months is literally unprecedented in Stern history. Not supporting the continuation of that. Fortunately AP and JJP have enough attractive offerings to buy instead.

SW 1.0 code is set for release this month. So if you’re waiting for that, it’s almost here. It will also be feature complete and solid (since 0.93 is already feature complete and solid).

#3937 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

6 months after release to get to even baseline 1.0. And a massively stripped down BoM on the Prem/LE to boot. No bueno. There's no excuse for that business model at the prices they're asking now, and I won't support it.

Fair enough. Hope you get to play one on route though, it’s a lot of fun.

#3945 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It doesn't really look like him, just seems off enough to get around licensing, almost a Williams Indiana Jones pinball situation. Maybe not though and it's just the animation work itself.

Looks more like Jeff Bridges.

1 week later
#4028 6 years ago
Quoted from jarch:

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell 1967!

I can only ever think of Dennis Miller's "Ain't No Dancefloor Wide Enough" bit when I hear this song.

But good on Stern for adding some more licensed tunes to the game. It'll be interesting to see how they use that one, not an obvious pinball song but then you'd never have imagined half the songs from GOTG in a summer super-hero blockbuster, which is the beauty of it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

6,495 (Firm)
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.