50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider docquest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#681 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

"Rocket figurine with coil assisted gunfire recoil"
is that a fancy way of saying if you upgrade to the premium, they put him on a spring instead of a metal bracket? talk about over-selling a feature.

Sounds similar to the Venegeance on Star Trek. The premium and LE had that ship on a coil so it was a little more animated and it "crashed" when you defeated it.

#695 6 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Gameplay teaser
» YouTube video

The ball spinning in place at the 0:25 mark looks really cool. I would have thought you'd need multiple magnets to do that but the video looks like its the pro version with only 1 magnet.

Wonder if you could spin multiple balls at once?

Gives a similar effect to what Borg did with Lost in Space, Twister, and Xmen except doing it all via just a magnet without the need for a mechanical spinning disc.

#699 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Art. Knocked it out of the park. One of, if not the best Stern to date.

Art does look great. They should have let Franchi talk about it and show some art work at Expo during his seminar. Don't understand Stern's strategy of not showing this at Expo this year.

#743 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It likely does not have much code yet and would have been a box of lights. They made that mistake with BM66 when they brought that to the show before it could be played a year earlier.

I didnt mean having games on the show floor. Just basically show what they showed today at the Stern or Franchi seminar. A few pics and a short gameplay teaser vid.

#752 6 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Would be cool if they had a interactive boom box topper that would play custom mix songs when you start modes, buy the gotg cd and theres your custom mix vol. 1 and 2.

Like the arcade game 720

11812416289 (resized).jpg11812416289 (resized).jpg

#1317 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

How in God's name does Stern think it's okay to remove spinners??? That's a basic - relatively inexpensive - game feature that people love. BASIC!!!!
You've gotta be kidding me.
That company is pitifully shameless. I'd love to hear their rationale publicly spilled. It's obvious its their way of forcing folks to buy the more expensive model... but, geesh, it's almost childish.

Someone earlier mentoned a spinner mod as a solution (already done as a mod on other Stern games)? How did it work? Was it be setup to award points and make sounds when you hit it?

#1578 6 years ago

So do people think this will be like JJPOTC where they will not be allowed to use the video clips of the actors on the LCD?

If they do have video clips from the first film do you think there is enough variety of clips and callouts from a 2 hour movie to not be repetitive?

I had a Stern Star Trek and it got a little boring doing the same missions based on the same 6 movie scenarios over and over. They limited themselves by only using scenes from the two movies (in Guardians case it it might be worse since it appears they are only using one movie).

Would be cool if the game could have some additional new Stern created scenarios that were in the GOTG universe in addition to scenes from the first movie to give it more variety. Not sure how they would handle new original content on the LCD though.

The JJ approach seems to be multiple status displays and animated maps which is a little bland. I like the action footage with comic style text panels style used in Batman66 but that has the advantage of 120 episodes to choose from.

#1745 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

All SWLEs came with 3 translites?

Batman66 SLE did that as well. Seems to be a new trend with Stern.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#2356 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It makes a big difference. You can only see the Joker laughing in the same clip so many times...

Lots more variety of clips with the latest code. An advantage Batman has over Guardians is 120 episodes of content to choose from vs 2 hours. It will be hard not to be repetitve with Guardians LCD if they just rely on clips.

Stern needs to get creative with additional graphics, transitions, animations, overlays, etc to integrate with the video clips to make them more immersive with gameplay action.

#2383 6 years ago

Quotes by John C Reilly as Dr Steve Brule would be hilarious.

After a drain or tilt: "What a dingus!"

745479a57d43f6102bd1607da023b8ff--brule-routes (resized).jpg745479a57d43f6102bd1607da023b8ff--brule-routes (resized).jpg

#2624 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I keep wondering why. Are they so strung up for money that they HAVE to keep the lines going ?

If you've been on the Stern tour or seen their factory videos you see they have a very large workforce with assembly line workers, parts department, inspection, etc. When the line stops there will he a lot of people with nothing to do.

I agree the game shouldn't be shipping to customers with this level of code. My guess is they want to "fill the pipeline" so all the games are in distributors stock well before xmas. Then they can do a code drop before end of the year that hopefully gets the game where it needs to be.

Stern doesn't have room (or want) to stockpile games at the factory while they wait for code. They need to keep the lines humming to be profitable. Gary has said it himself multiple times at his talks, Stern is a manufacturing business not a pinball business.The product they manufacture just happens to be pinball games.

#2662 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It means the emphasis, heart, and blood of the business is their factory production ability. What matters keeps the company going is units rolling off the end of the line. It means the most critical aspect is ensuring the factory line is pumping out product. It means their core expertise is manufacturing... and creating desirable pinballs is the means to create demand for that core business.
It's why Stern was willing to build products for other people. The thing that makes them money is the factory...
It's a mindset to ensure people recognize the element of the business that is the most important and what pays the bills.

Exactly

Thats not to say the designers and coders are not truly passionate about pinball. I believe.most of them are. Its more about the business decisions that the company makes are decided based on whats best to sustain their manufacturng business.

#2691 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This is the first LE to include the inner side art, which is a step in the right direction.

Batman66 LE came with inner side art. It also came with a shaker and a topper which isnt always included on LE's but is was also the most expensive LE they've done.

#2788 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Also, the recent Franchi interview sees to indicate GOTG wasn't ready at Expo because they feared another B66 situation.

It makes sense that Stern didn't want to show the actual physical game at Expo if it wasnt ready. But why didn't they let Franchi show a couple pieces of art from the game at his seminar?

If he showed the finished translite during his talk people would have loved it and it would have gotten the pre -launch marketing excitement going. If I was Franchi I would have been pretty disappointed not being allowed ro show his latest work at expo. Maybe Marvel didnt approve it by expo?

#2954 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a great comparison. Pinball is a game. It's not a car, a piece of art, or something to stare at. It's a game.

I agree with you that its primary function is to be an amusement designed to suck quarters out of your pocket, but I also consider it a form of art (specially some of the older titles). For the games I like, I enjoy looking at them as well as playing them and it gives me a happy emotional response. Isn't that what art does?

Just like Jack Nicholson's Joker said in the 89' Batman film:
"I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"

#3211 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

...the turntable a physical mess.

I love the turntable. I like the variety between the mini LCD as you enable the villains, answering the bat-phone to start a villain and switching to bat-cave mode when you are battling the villain. Love the physical ball lock on it. The shot through the atomic pile is also very satisfying with a nice light show when the super jackpot is going. The ball lock targets designed to look like the bat-computer and bat analyzer in the bat cave are perfect theme integration. The bat-mobile spinner on it is cool too although it doesn't self center as much as it was hyped to. The turntable packs a ton variety and fun shots into a small area. I think they did a great job with it.

#3390 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

The only way it could get worse is if the next game has voicework done by Fran Dreshner & Gilbert Godfrey

You mean Gilbert Gottfried. Are there rumors of an Aflac themed pin?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
6,495 (Firm)
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.95
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 210.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider docquest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here?tu=docquest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.