50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

all those cheap dudes with plastic flaps taped to their games down voted you. i upvoted you. i have invisiglass in mines. gave the plastic flaps to my cheapo friends.

I use both invisiglass and glare guards in combination because they each do different things. Glare guards take care of glare caused by the display that invisiglass does not solve and invisiglass reduces overall glare and topper light glare.

#541 6 years ago

At first glance, the location of shots looks near identical to MET. The Rocket kickback is similar to the inline three drops in MET. The Groot head is where Sparky is located. The drop target is where the snake and hammer are located but one less shot in GOTG. The ramp and orbit locations appear to be about the same between MET and GOTG as well as the scoop and Fuel shots.

gotg (resized).pnggotg (resized).png

#559 6 years ago

The magnets and Rocket kickback should help shorten ball times a little as compared to Metallica which is known to be a long ball time game.

#646 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

"coil assisted gunfire recoil" = they put Rocket on a spring. when the coil fires, he jiggles. that's the "recoil" they're talking about.

At least it (LE/Prem) is a little better than tie fighter on a spring since Rocket jiggles when the cannon fires the ball back at the flippers rather than merely acting as a fake bash toy.

#655 6 years ago

Why do they need to use those ugly screws on the scoop plastic? There had to be a better way to mount the lights.

#658 6 years ago

IMO, the premium with purple armor matching the backbox would look better than the LE with that gold.

#664 6 years ago

I have not seen a copy of the feature matrix that was legible here yet so let me try: (EDIT: it works, you just have to click on it to expand it to actual size)

GOTG Feature Matrix.pdfGOTG Feature Matrix.pdf

#715 6 years ago

What are people seeing for quoted prices for the three models shipped?

#721 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Don't understand Stern's strategy of not showing this at Expo this year.

It likely does not have much code yet and would have been a box of lights. They made that mistake with BM66 when they brought that to the show before it could be played a year earlier.

#778 6 years ago

gotgplayfield (resized).jpggotgplayfield (resized).jpgmetallicaplayfield2 (resized).jpgmetallicaplayfield2 (resized).jpg

#918 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I'm ok with plastic ramps, especially on a busy playfield like this - there's already enough obstruction. And they're fast and smooth.
But since GB, the plastic they're using on these has become so thin. Anyone worked on the GBLE subway ramp??? It's like 1mm thick. It's like the plastic they use for food packaging.
As a result, they've had to make these plastic ramps on GOTG in 2 pieces - there's an ugly metal join on both ramps. They'll seem less smooth and more "rattly". But with how thin the plastic is they've had no choice.
Remember how long, smooth and fast those TWD ramps are?? Iron Man?? Single piece ramps. Ah, the good old days.....remember Sam?

They likely joined two ramp pieces because they overlap and are fairly long. It is a little surprising they did not use habittrails for returns.
Is it even possible for the vacuum formed plastic ramps to be made as one piece in those overlapping shapes?

#928 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

people talking about the groot hands and blocking... what about those flashers and plastics over the top of both outlanes...

Looks like its right there in the area above the outlanes.. :/

Yeah, I don't understand that at all, especially on the left side. It reminds me of Avengers a little.

#995 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Have to admit we're getting hyper picky now. 5 Years ago, if GOTG was released, everyone would have lost it. Le's sold out in 15 minutes. Best game ever, etc etc. Now its like, "too similar", "too colourful", "too busy", "the music is not perfect", "the toys are too big, too small, too many", "the armour is not the perfect shade of....".
Kind of a compliment to the industry though. We are fortunate we can afford to be this picky. Every game has to jump a pretty high bar to get a spot in my limited space. Especially as the ones already in that space are pretty f*n good.

Avengers was almost exactly five years ago.

#1691 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Anyone have a guess why so little Drax? He was a big part of both movies and cool character. I note his absence or, at least, his lack of equal presence in all three models.

He is there on the backglass and cabinet art but it appears his coloring sort of blends in with the color scheme of the game a bit.

#1816 6 years ago

The 1st movie is the the main reason most people are familiar with the theme. Pretty much only Marvel comic book fanatics knew anything about these characters before the movie came out. If the pinball machine does not have some of the movie content that blew people away then it would seem to be a tougher sell because that is what many are familiar with.
I had never heard of them until the 1st movie came out but surprisingly really enjoyed the movies.

https://www.dallascomedyhouse.com/blog/guardians-of-the-galaxy-a-most-unlikely-blockbuster

#1834 6 years ago
Quoted from hatrick20:

From stern of the union "The music package will include pop songs and if you happen to be attending the IAAPA show in Orlando (starts November 14th), we will be at booth #2013 where you can come check out the game in person. Otherwise, set a reminder on your personal calendars as we will be having the official Dead Flip gameplay stream with Jack Danger on Monday, November 20th at 6pm CST!"
Hopefully this means there will be a lot of the songs from the movie.

Code and sound will likely make or break this game for me. I like GOTG as a theme much more than Metallica. The art is nice. I like the layout since it is similar to Metallica which I enjoy the gameplay. I like that they took some of the best features from IM (the cannon kickback) and ST (locking drop target) and added magnets, so hopefully ball times will be a little shorter than MET having the kickback and magnets add more randomness. Also, it appears that the Groot head is positioned similar to Sparky with a guide on the right side where the captive ball is located in MET that greatly reduces SDTM drains when shooting the center.

I do worry about the Spike system node boards and feel Stern needs to make them available much cheaper or have a board trade-in policy for a reasonable cost. It would also be nice if they were made easily repairable and all the same.

#1914 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

While I agree that Spike may not be as reliable as Sam or Whitestar, I think this statement is rubbish. Parts will be available. They might be more expensive. I have no facts, but I seriously doubt that a node board bought through a Stern dealer is $300.

An inexpensive fuse gives the owner the ability to fix/replace something and then turn the game on and see if the fuse blows again. Without the fuse it is hundreds of dollars risked every time a blown out board is swapped out. I don't see how that is rubbish.

Even at $159 a node board, which is probably about the cheapest version, that is a huge risk every time the game is fixed and turned back on after the fix to find out if the fix is the actual fix.

#1917 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

He said the games can't be repaired. He said the games would be put in a dumpster. That part is rubbish.

15 years from now the parts may no longer be available. My understanding is that each node board has firmware that only Stern has access to so 3rd party copies presently cannot be made.

#1920 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

If the PRO is all white GI, it won't be zoned. All GI on or off. I wish GOTG had zoned color GI too. Guess we'll know in 5 days (IAAPA)

I am looking forward to seeing and hearing the game in action.

#2051 6 years ago

All modern pinball machines have very repetitive music. It is the nature of it being a game that gets reset each time you start a new game.

#2223 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Looks to be WAY early code.
Therein lies the risk.
The bait looks great though.

This new shiny game with modern lighting, LCD display and a cool theme is enticing but us that have been in the hobby since the Stern revival of around 2011 have seen this scenario play out far too many times to just jump in blindfolded.

#2251 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The modes should trigger a lot of great clips. Ghostbusters aside, Stern hasn't had a license so rich for pulling one liners or sight gags for a while.

I have not seen the answer yet, does Stern have the rights to use audio from the movie?

#2255 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I would sure hope so. I think the code is just very placeholder right now. If they can use video clips, it would be super weird to have the audio muted on those though.

Have there been any clips showing actor's mouths moving? I have only seen action clips so far.

#2257 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Programmers had a year to make a game at Williams, and I get the sense that they had a better collaborative work environment with more support all around. They get 3-4 months at Stern, with less organized collaboration & now they have to deal with the extra work of the color LCD. It is what it is.

What do Stern programmers do with the other 8 or 9 months? They only put out 3 games a year and they have more than 3 teams or experienced individuals programming. Shouldn't a game take a year or less to program to completion, especially since they use base code for just about every game to get started toward programming each game's unique features?

#2273 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They start on the next game lol.

But, won't that next game be released in a year? I mean, if Lyman works on one for a year, Dwight works on one for a year, and Tanio/Waison/Lonnie work on one for a year until each team gets shifted to the the next title they are assigned? It just seems like there is a disconnect in terms of programming time available vs number of games to be done. Does Stern need a better project manager?
When I was in Consulting Engineering doing building systems design people would be fired if projects were not accomplished in a reasonable time, either managers or engineers.

#2276 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I would guees that they dont all sit down and design everything at the same time. First the layout is designed and built, then the rules are added. They don't happen at the same time. Sure there maybe some overlap in there, but while the designer moves on to the next game, the person doing the rules continues on that game. They dont instantly start working on the next project.

The programmers still have at least a year per game based on the number of releases. Writing the rules is part of the programming process.

#2281 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Right, my point is that while the designers are creating it, the programmers are not. They probably dont start until its nearly out of the design teams hands. But the design is ready to go and be built. So they release it that way, and just assume the programmers will fix everything after its released instead of sitting on it until everything is ready at once.

I think we are getting sidetracked a little. The issue I was raising was not about unfinished code when a game is released. The issue was about not finishing the code in a reasonable amount of time after release. So back to the original point, they work on the programming for a year but why is the programming often not complete a year or more after the game is shipped? A year should be plenty of time to get a game fully coded if you have at least one programmer's year of man-hours per game which Stern clearly has the resources since they have at least 5 programmers for 3 games a year.

#2286 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They don't have a year to work on games before launch, usually. That's why the games aren't complete. They get some time afterwards to finish/polish/bug-fix...but often the have another project they have to start, and that's why there are so many games that need updates. Lyman is the only one who will do it on his own time. The rest go along with what management wants them to work on.

That sounds like it is the lack of focus on a particular game is the problem rather than man hours per title. It is very time consuming when getting yanked from a rhythm on something and then having to go back to it months later.

#2292 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I have been told, directly, by people who work there that they get 4 1/2 months from start to boxed games to do the software. Not second hand rumours.

Plus they have the time after the game's release until they get yanked to work on something else. Since there is at least one programmer per each of the three game releases there is at least one year per game of programming time. There must be a lot of lost/mismanaged or wasted time in that year of programming time.

#2300 6 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Baby Groot's hair on the shooter knob looks wrong to me. It's way to wirery. Looks like he has a squid-head. Shouldn't he be sporting this hair style?

It looked more like what is on the shooter rod at the end of movie 1 and the pinball machine is based on the first movie:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&p=baby+groot+first+movie#id=1&vid=c2e76f6385aad94e4a1d26bf90ef5619&action=click

guardians-of-the-galaxy-baby-groot-scene (1) (resized).jpgguardians-of-the-galaxy-baby-groot-scene (1) (resized).jpg

#2429 6 years ago

I am looking forward to hearing the callouts when they are implemented. The movie clips appear to be all action and no dialogue scenes so that makes me think the callouts will not be tied to actor's mouths.

#2525 6 years ago

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect this game has exceptionally early code because it was bumped ahead of Iron Maiden after the Trudeau arrest.

If I remember correctly some of the "insiders" were saying the Iron Maiden game was to be taken over the other Stern designers and re-designed to some degree.

#2664 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I think Stern's problem with the LCDs is they really aren't using them very well. The displays just aren't that well designed. The stuff JJP does with the display is gorgeous. Stern's attempts so far are ... not. I'm no graphic designer, so I can't really speak to what they should do different -- just as an end user, what they've done so far is ... meh. If they were amazing, I think you'd have less of a 'I miss the DMD' feeling.

JJP's use of the displays reminds me a lot of what is done in licensed slot machines with some movie content and some in-house generated effects. Stern just seems to plop movie video content in when something happens in the game.

#2966 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Dude, you need to call your local garage door company and have that extension spring replaced with a torsion spring system. Your door will work much smoother and you wont have an injured child or busted up pinball machine when it snaps...and it will.
Expect to pay just under $400, but its worth it...

They do have safety cables that go through the springs now. If the spring snaps the broken spring stays in position on the safety cable.

#3169 6 years ago

Sometimes I feel paying attention to how long the masses keep games after the code is fairly complete tells a lot about how special a game actually is. On average a good game seems to get sold quicker than a great game. Stern has been putting out a lot of good games in the last few years but not many that I would classify as great. Besides code, my biggest complaint about recent Sterns would be some games have far too many easy shots rather than varied difficulty between shots and some have static or nearly static toys such as bulky bash toys that don't do anything for me. I guess GB is an outlier in this conversation. That game has its own unique issues such as the wide flipper gap and other quirks that drives some away.

#3674 6 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Also... "Rape" means "Rape". It's not a synonym with a different meaning. It's a really terrible word to use to describe a pinball strategy. If we are to be a community at all, then this kind of nonsense just can't be tolerated. Don't argue this point to uphold your Forum Bravado... It just sucks. This is a time to say, "Ya, my bad. I'll retire that word. Thanks for the input", not "F$%K you, you oversensitive snowflake".

You don't get to limit a word's meaning just because it is a PC thing to do:

rape
/rāp/
noun
the crime, typically committed by a man, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with the offender against their will:
"he denied two charges of attempted rape"
synonyms:
sexual assault, sexual abuse, sexual interference, ravishment, defilement
the wanton destruction or spoiling of a place or area:
"the rape of the Russian countryside"
synonyms:
destruction, violation, ravaging, pillaging, plundering, ... more
verb
(especially of a man) force (another person) to have sexual intercourse with the offender against their will:
"the woman was raped at knifepoint"
synonyms:
sexually assault, sexually abuse, violate, force oneself on, date-rape, ... more
spoil or destroy (a place):
"the timber industry is raping the land"
synonyms:
ravage, violate, desecrate, defile, plunder, ... more

#3709 6 years ago

I personally would never make any rape joke and don’t care to hear any either.
In pinball I recall several times reading people describing raping an easy shot for big points (i.e. pillaging) in a non-joking manner and nobody was up in arms about the words used. Context does matter and the term rape is not limited to human to human abuse.

#3762 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Got the chance to play gotg today (about 12 games) and I thought it had some nice shots and like the machine as a whole and with proper code i think it will be a hit but it had to have the worst audio ever.holy shit I can still hear that shItty song in my head!!!!

Which song are you referring? Cherry Bomb, Hooked on a Feeling, or the Stern custom music?

#3854 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Part of the bobalee bo bo gag is how terribly they recreated the scene. In the movie he's not so forcefully saying it, and the totally went heavy handed with the delivery in the pin. It loses all its feeling and just turns straight obnoxious. It also plays way, way too much.

Have they fixed it in the newest code released?

#3861 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Tried some games on 0.73. Things seems better organized at least.
We have had a groot mouth issue since 0.72 though, sometimes he cant manage to open his jaw fully so its impossible to start mb/lock balls. I tried disabling groot mouth in settings, thinking this would make it virtual, but it did exactly what it said... turned it off
Aka you can lock balls virtually but never start mb, since to start mb you have to shoot the ball into his mouth... disapointing.

The mouth issue sounds likely to be a switch that needs adjusting, but I have not seen a diagram of the part. Usually with a part like that there is an up switch and a down switch to sense the part is fully up or fully down. If the switch is too sensitive it will not go as far as it should.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
$ 210.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.