50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 6 years ago

Artwork looks cool but it's hard for me to get excited about a new Stern game. Batman 66 is still on pre 1.0 code after a year. KISS isn't finished, Ghostbusters is waiting on a final code update and Star Wars isn't finished.

A pin can look incredible and have cool features but none of that matters if the code isn't deep, unique and polished.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im hoping for Tons of movie callouts!
Overload this baby! A dozen callout choices for any event at Random!
So much comes from this, IMHO!
Looking Good!!!!

I hope Stern got the license, if possible, to use the actors voices from the films. I believe that Avengers, another Marvel / Disney license, didn't feature any of the original actors voices...Hopefully that's not the case with this one.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Better not be like JJPOTC with no music, voices, or video that shows people’s faces. What a load of crap that is even if it’s Disney’s fault for being a PITA.

Original music will solve the problem

*This is all in good fun, looking forward to the games full reveal.

Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
___

I can't stop this feeling
Deep inside my wallet
Stern, you just don't realize
What your games do for me
___

When you keep raising prices
My wallet is in your hands so tight
You let me know
Everything with the code will be alright
___

I'm hooked on a new Stern pin
I'm high on believing
That you're finish the code
___

Ramps are sweet as candy
It's flow stays on my mind
Gary, you got me thirsty
For another Stern design
___

Got a bug from you, Stern
But I don't need no code update
I'll just stay a victim
If I can for sure
___

All the good pinball gaming
When we're all alone
Keep it up Stern
Yeah, your games turn me on
___

I'm hooked on a new Stern pin
I'm high on believing
That you're finish the code

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I may order this too soon

Looks like there's at least 3 magnets on the game which is cool and I think I see what is part of a motor of some kind in another pic. I'm hoping that with this game Stern returns to loading up games with cool and unique features like they did with GB.

#254 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We should all hope and pray that this game is nothing like GB.

Wisest choice of all time.

Yes, the last thing we would want is another game loaded up with multiple unique features and toys, have handdrawn artwork, contain original character audio from the actors, and custom callouts from one of the films actors, lol.

#339 6 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Looks like the Groot hand could be used as a ball lock. That would be cool.

That would be cool but if so Stern would definitely say so. Their current statement makes it sound like that the arms are just stationary.

#406 6 years ago

Looks pretty cool. The pro model looks like the way to go with this one. The premium / LE offers stationary groot arms, two more magnets and RGB lighting? That's it for around $2k more...$3k more with an LE. Pass, pro looks to be offering the best value here.

#607 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Do the Groot arms do anything at all that add to the gameplay or just block the view?

Nope, stationary so figure $500 an arm...

#1200 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

If I had to pick the first or second movie to do a pin, I would have picked the 2nd. Too bad they couldn’t include some of 2nd movie. Several obvious scenes as pointed out would have been awesome for the pin.

Absolutely. Heck, Stern could have had two sets of modes ladders on the playfield each with 8 modes with one labeled "Awesome Mode Mix: Volume 1" for the first movie and "Awesome Mode Mix: Volume 2" for the second movie.

#1202 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Humor. This game needs quirky humor like the movie. Hope the guys at Stern got that element right.

I hope so do. However, that will depend on if Stern has the rights to use original actor audio. Without it pulling off humor will be difficult. I think JJP will encounter the same issue with not being able to use actor voice lines from the Pirate films.

Both Guardians of the Galaxy and Pirates of the Caribbean are Disney owned themes so it will be interesting to see if both pins lack character audio for if one has it while the other doesn't.

#1329 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Product differentiation and pricing strategies are not soley driven by BOM.
Your prices need to support your BOM and margin strategy... your BOM does not define your prices or margin strategy.
"it only costs them $5" - the voice of someone who never has done product management or development.
What you charge is not about what it costs - its about what achieves the right balance of volume, margin, and market tolerance.
If you can't accept that reality - you will be bitter shopper forever.

Well, its safe to say then that Stern keeps attempting to create a larger profit margin by reducing features and quality. At these prices there's not an excuse for that and it won't stop until sales slow.

Asking for a $5 spinner on a $5500 game that heavily resembles Metallica yet has all plastic ramps instead of metal ones is not asking much.

I can accept that this is reality, as will others by just not choosing to buy the game.

2 weeks later
#2430 6 years ago
Quoted from Alphajerk3000:

Does the game have dialogue from the movie, or is it just the clips?

Sounds like voice actors based on previous comments which is a bummer at these prices. I know some people will say that it's not a big deal but as prices have risen so have expectations.

Hopefully the voice actors used are much better then those in the Pinball FX digital GOTG game...those are pretty bad.

#2479 6 years ago

Maybe some more established themes can get away with no callouts from the show / movie but what is GOTG without the voices from the actors? The actors and the humor between the characters make the Guardian movies.

I'll gladly play GOTG on location but I just can't see spending $5500-$8500 on a movie themed pinball machine in 2017 that lacks any character audio from the films. I feel similar about Pirates but least it has custom callouts by one of the films actors and overall far more features and modes to help justify the price. Still, even that may not be enough for me. I know that if Ghostbusters lacked the actors voices and Ernie Hudson callouts that I would have passed on buying the game.

#2582 6 years ago

I've noticed that Aerosmith and GOTG have nearly the same code structure. A set of 8 or so missions, couple multiballs and 2 wizard modes with the same qualifiers on each game. There's nothing wrong with that but AS and GOTG don't appear to offer the same variety in terms of code depth and unique modes compared to other modern Sterns.

It's almost as if Stern is trying to make 2 of their titles per year (AS and GOTG for 2017) games that they can crank out super fast with smaller / similar rulesets. Star Wars, Batman 66 and GB all come across as having more code depth with more unique modes.

Just an observation.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3178 6 years ago

Since past games are being discussed.

GB Premium is one of Stern best modern games in my opinion. Multiple unique and interactive toys, multiple molded items, great hand drawn artwork, deep rules, excellent audio / callout offering and one of the best world under glass feelings in pinball. GB Premium represents what modern pinball should be at these crazy prices. Every Stern since GB looks empty next to it...

As far as GB's layout I think it's awesome. Thank goodness it's not another left ramp right ramp fan layout. The dual scoop shots, tough PKE ramp shot, excellent tight left orbit shot and, dual captive ball shots, and the main ramp that drops under the playfield is one of the coolest shots in pinball. I wish more Stern games offered half as much shot variety as GB.

#3237 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

more specifically they are releasing code versions with no call outs implemented. From the rumors, the call outs are not approved yet, but coming soon???

I sure hope so. The clips from the film that have been edited to represent an event in the game, for example the extra ball clip, don't appear to have the characters talking. The extra ball clip shows Starlord handing something to the player but the character doesn't say anything and his lips are not moving. This is a bit concerning as it comes across that original actor won't be in the game.

#3354 6 years ago

Oh wow, these may be the worst callouts I've ever heard in a modern pin. In a DMD game it's slightly more tolerable as you are not seeing actual video footage from the films. With an LCD game though custom callouts seem even more out of place when you see video on the screen of the actual actors but then don't hear their voices.

Without the original actors voices I don't know what this game is. The actors and their portrayals of the characters are what make the Guardian films.

#3356 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Haven't watched yet, but it would have to be almost unimaginably bad to top XMEN for worst voice cast in pinball.

The callouts in XMEN are far better in my opinion and they are not that great to begin with. I know the XMEN callouts are not considered good but I give them a pass as the game is not based on the films but rather the comic. GOTG though...just wow.

Go to 46:40, lol.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/205103324##

#3369 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Gary Stern has never cared about "getting the license right"...as he's said, they're in the manufacturing business...and the purpose of the license is to get people to walk over and put in quarters. Sometimes they do a great job...and because we're used to the games when they've done a great job - we expect that every time.
Did you ever hear the story about Steve fighting with Gary about Spider-Man? Gary wanted to save money by not including the Doc Ock toy...he said "Can't you just put a little house there and say it's Doc Ock's house?" Steve put up a fight and screamed about Doc Ock being a super important character until Gary relented.

Wouldn't surprise me if that story is true. Steve said at a show earlier this year while talking about Star Wars "Gary hates anything that costs money" then said he was joking...I don't think he was, lol.

#3389 6 years ago

The Bobbalee Bobo is a rare fish that dates back to prehistoric times. It is often trying to mimic the appearance of other fishes around it but typically fails in its attempt.

#3460 6 years ago

The voice actors in WOZ seem pretty much spot on. Early on I didn't even realize that JJP had hired voice actors for WOZ...it wasn't until I heard the wizard "Extra Balllll" that I did, lol.

WOZ doesn't have many modes that are based on specific scenes from the film. Some very creative editing and animation work from the JJP team do a great job of representing the theme instead of video clips.

GOTG though has modes that are all based on specific scenes with video clips. Seeing the actors in the clips and then not hearing their voices but rather someone else comes across as very awkward.

#3473 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I love how people are so overdramatic and love bashing. Wouldn't be pinside without it I guess. So what if the callouts arent the original actors. Im sure it would have been a lot more $$$ to have them. So they did the next best thing, had actors read the script. That makes it super easy to add in for people who care with pinball browser. TWD stock callouts sucked hard, but with the Cleland callouts, it made it pretty great. People ripping on it for not coming from the factory with the voice actors need to go circlejerk in a new thread. How petty. Its something that can be fixed easy.

NIB Stern games are now $5500-$8500 and at those prices customers should not have to add callouts. That's absolutely ridiculous.

For $5500-$8500 a pinball machine made in 2017 based on a film, set of films, or a TV series should have actor callouts. If not then the company can at least come up with a creative work around, like JJP did for Pirates.

Stern could have hired one of the actors to do custom callouts similar to how JJP hired Kevin McNally for Pirates callouts. Both POTC and GOTG are Disney owned themes. Did Stern not go down this path due to the extra cost? It wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason.

#3522 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Say what you want about Ghostbusters....but there is a theme fully implemented.
Hundreds of audio clips from the movies, and Ernie Hudson doing custom call-outs.
Stern proves it can be done. Stern should accept no less or walk away.....or we will.

I hear ya there and think that is one of the reasons why Ghostbusters is one of Sterns best. It truly offers a world under glass feeling and the actor callouts + Ernie Hudson custom callouts make the game standout.

Without the original actor voices and Ernie Hudson custom callouts I wouldn't have bought the game. There is no Ghsotbusters in my book without Ernie Hudson, Bill Murray, etc.

I just can't see spending $5500-$12500 (including JJP prices in range) on NIB games that lack the original voices. I can see playing such games on location but not buying the game for my home. If I'm going to spend that type of money on a movie or show themed game it needs to have the original actor audio.

I'm still on the fence about JJP's Pirates as JJP did get Kevin McNally for custom callouts and is doing some great creative animation, audio and editing work to make up for there being no film actor audio. Still, the game will lack the humor and lines that Johnny Depps portraly of Jack Sparrow provides which is a huge part of the film's.

#3633 6 years ago

I keep reading about comparisons with Metallica but don't see them besides a similar layout. Metallica Pro actually offers value with original + custom callouts by the band, has laser etched metal ramps, metal habit rails, metal lane guides, two molded toys, main magnet and 3 drop targets.

Compared to Metallica Pro GOTG looks like a game with a whole lot of plastic. Fast and furious? Of course, the ramps are plastic...at $5500+ that's not always a good thing.

Sterns last two releases seem more focused on increasing the bottom line compared to offering feature rich products. Even the pro at $5500 is a ton of money to spend on a pin, for that amount of dough I expect more.

#3672 6 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Increasingly, Pinside has become overrun with negativity. It's really too bad.
I love Pinball. I'm a Player, collector, Show attendee etc etc. I've been collecting pins since the late 90s, playing since the mid 80s. Outside of a TINY cadre of local pinheads, I don't know ANYBODY who is as crazy about pinball as I am... So, why is it such an unpleasant experience to visit Pinside??!
My theory is that it's become a haven for FORUM enthusiasts, not pinball enthusiasts. This is less and less a place where pinheads connect and discuss pinball, and more and more a place where argumentative forum addicts hurl insults at each other for the tiny dopamine hits it provides... Yuck.
I'm REALLY looking forward to playing GOTG. It's a new Pinball machine based on a license I really enjoy. Remember that time when early code got better?? Ya, me too. I watched the stream with the latest code, and expected dyslexic ESL students screaming nonsense... The audio sounds TOTALLY FINE to me. I don't get it. Over the coming weeks and months it will get refined, and it will improve.
Yup, Lonnie is not Lyman. TWD is a personal Fav... But I also REALLY enjoy Aerosmith. Not everything needs to be Citizen Cane.
As for the TNA chirping going on here... I don't even know what to say?! That game is the spirit of Pinball. If you don't like it... You DO NOT LIKE PINBALL! Some will call that a ridiculously subjective, and hyperbolic statement... It's not. It's a reality check. If you don't like TNA, it's because you care more about "Toys", "Value" (Whatever the F$#K That' supposed to mean), insert some arbitrary metric that has zero to do with PLAYING Pinball. That game is a BLAST. It was made by a dedicated community member, FOR people who LOVE playing pinball. Zero artifice. Pure Pinball Fun!!
Also... "Rape" means "Rape". It's not a synonym with a different meaning. It's a really terrible word to use to describe a pinball strategy. If we are to be a community at all, then this kind of nonsense just can't be tolerated. Don't argue this point to uphold your Forum Bravado... It just sucks. This is a time to say, "Ya, my bad. I'll retire that word. Thanks for the input", not "F$%K you, you oversensitive snowflake".
Well, There you go. I'm adding to the noise.
I look forward to playing a GOTG soon. Borg is my absolute fav designer, and I think Lonnie did a great Job with Aerosmith. Some early feedback from people who have ACTUALLY played the pin is that it's really fun. I've said it before... Isn't "FUN" what this is supposed to be about??!!
Peace, Out!

Personally I think some Pinside discussions have become more negative as expectations have risen as prices have repeatedly gone up over the past 10 years. There wouldn't be as much negativity if new pin prices were inline with inflation but that isn't the case. A Stern pro is now $5500, a premium around $7500 and LE's at around $8500. All 3 of those price points are a ton of money to spend on a pinball machine of all things. The same can be said about JJP, Spooky, Heighway and DP prices as well.

At today's prices more customers want metal ramps / habit rails, multiple features, deep / unique code with updates that don't come 6+ months down the road, and use of original assets (video, audio, etc) in licensed themed games. Those are not unreasonable requests. When that doesn't occur there is going to be more backlash considering that the games cost $5500 - $8500 and in some cases $12k-$15k. However, there shouldn't be name calling, insulting designers, etc. Constructive criticism though should be welcomed and more so with these price points.

1 week later
#3940 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

6 months after release to get to even baseline 1.0. And a massively stripped down BoM on the Prem/LE to boot. No bueno. There's no excuse for that business model at the prices they're asking now, and I won't support it.

I thought the same thing for a while and then saw a premium in person and thought "This game does have a lot going on". I ended up purchasing an HUO Star Wars LE over the weekend and I'm very glad I did. Seeing how the code has developed over the past 6 months helped sell me on the game as has Stern finally being transparent about future code updates with their "Stern of the Union" monthly updates.

I still think that NIB pricing is nuts across all Stern models and from all manufacturers. The other big issue is that Stern does not code all of their games the same. All of their programmers offer different rulesets, depth and variety. Star Wars has 16 mission based modes, 9 mulitballs and 1 main wizard mode. GOTG appears to have 8 mission modes, 3-4 mulitballs and 1 main wizard mode. Same with Aerosmith. That's half of the ruleset that Star Wars offers. In my opinion I don't feel like I'm getting the same value from GOTG and AS as Star Wars due to the ruleset design. That's not a knock on other programmers as I think Stern is purposely creating a couple of titles per year that offer a smaller ruleset that are similar across both games, those being GOTG and AS for 2017.

One thing we need to keep in mind with Star Wars is that Stern paid up to get the license to use the original actors voices, video featuring actors and some licensed music. That's huge and is a big deal as we have seen other recently announced games that lack a combination of the 3 (GOTG and JJP's POTC). I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars by Stern has one of biggest per game licensing cost in pinball. Heck, not even EA's new Battlefront 2 has Harrison Ford's likeness in it and that's a multi billion dollar company.

Personally I rather have one less physical feature then not have the original actors audio, videos, music, etc. All I know is that I'm not going to drop $5500 to nearly $10k on newer movie based pins that lack the actor audio and / or video.

#3943 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Why would say this, is this some conspiracy theory about the beard? Han Solo is 100% in the game and based on Harrison Ford. The beard is part of the canon.

It doesn't really look like him, just seems off enough to get around licensing, almost a Williams Indiana Jones pinball situation. Maybe not though and it's just the animation work itself.

xtqhusuqqb8cn86r5x42 (resized).pngxtqhusuqqb8cn86r5x42 (resized).png

#3947 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

So this is the Han Solo model. Licensing demands he has beard so we give him a beard. The internet says EA cheaped out on the license. The stuff people just make up about EA is amazing. You can't even please Star Wars nerds by going full nerd.

That model looks great. The internet is frustrated with EA in general due to their shaddy and greedy use of loot boxes in many of their latest games, especially Battlefront 2. If it wasn't for that a beard wouldn't be a big deal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dow, IL
$ 25.00
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.