50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MapleSyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3666 6 years ago

Increasingly, Pinside has become overrun with negativity. It's really too bad.

I love Pinball. I'm a Player, collector, Show attendee etc etc. I've been collecting pins since the late 90s, playing since the mid 80s. Outside of a TINY cadre of local pinheads, I don't know ANYBODY who is as crazy about pinball as I am... So, why is it such an unpleasant experience to visit Pinside??!

My theory is that it's become a haven for FORUM enthusiasts, not pinball enthusiasts. This is less and less a place where pinheads connect and discuss pinball, and more and more a place where argumentative forum addicts hurl insults at each other for the tiny dopamine hits it provides... Yuck.

I'm REALLY looking forward to playing GOTG. It's a new Pinball machine based on a license I really enjoy. Remember that time when early code got better?? Ya, me too. I watched the stream with the latest code, and expected dyslexic ESL students screaming nonsense... The audio sounds TOTALLY FINE to me. I don't get it. Over the coming weeks and months it will get refined, and it will improve.

Yup, Lonnie is not Lyman. TWD is a personal Fav... But I also REALLY enjoy Aerosmith. Not everything needs to be Citizen Cane.

As for the TNA chirping going on here... I don't even know what to say?! That game is the spirit of Pinball. If you don't like it... You DO NOT LIKE PINBALL! Some will call that a ridiculously subjective, and hyperbolic statement... It's not. It's a reality check. If you don't like TNA, it's because you care more about "Toys", "Value" (Whatever the F$#K That' supposed to mean), insert some arbitrary metric that has zero to do with PLAYING Pinball. That game is a BLAST. It was made by a dedicated community member, FOR people who LOVE playing pinball. Zero artifice. Pure Pinball Fun!!

Also... "Rape" means "Rape". It's not a synonym with a different meaning. It's a really terrible word to use to describe a pinball strategy. If we are to be a community at all, then this kind of nonsense just can't be tolerated. Don't argue this point to uphold your Forum Bravado... It just sucks. This is a time to say, "Ya, my bad. I'll retire that word. Thanks for the input", not "F$%K you, you oversensitive snowflake".

Well, There you go. I'm adding to the noise.

I look forward to playing a GOTG soon. Borg is my absolute fav designer, and I think Lonnie did a great Job with Aerosmith. Some early feedback from people who have ACTUALLY played the pin is that it's really fun. I've said it before... Isn't "FUN" what this is supposed to be about??!!

Peace, Out!

#3694 6 years ago

Very sorry for the thread derail, but I do feel it's important to confront things like this to make our hobby more inclusive.

There is plenty to be offended by in the world. I don't go looking for things... A couple popped up right here in this thread!!

Look, I'm not trying to impose MY rules... I'm talking about basic human decency.

I used to use the word "Fa##ot". I never meant anything homophobic by it. This was 30-35 years ago!! To me, it meant "Loser", or "Jerk", or "Wimp". I never had a problem with Homosexuals. Then I found out how terrible that word was to the Gay community... so, I stopped using it. My language evolved.

Rape is similar. DCFAN you just listed a bunch of definitions for Rape... that all mean Rape!!! Were you arguing with me, or proving my point?

Come up with an argument for why using the word "Rape" in a pinball context is cool. Try it out on your daughter, or a female coworker... See how cool they think it is. If you're REALLY good at hitting spinners, and repeating orbits, would you want all your friends to call you "The Rapist"?? It's just not a good word.

Totally done talking about that.

As for opinions. Everybody has one. Agreed. I do tend to believe that the focus on "Build Quality", "Value", "Clear Coat Dimples", "Ghosting" etc etc etc is about focusing on everything BUT Pinball. It's all noise.

You don't like a machine? Don't buy it. Simple. Why rant for 74 pages about WHY it doesn't meet your expectations. Go play a machine you like.

I'm going to take my own advice.

#3698 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Says the dude who slighted ESL folks and people with dyslexia. FOH

Give me a break. Do you really think I “Slighted” people with Dyslexia and people for whom English is a second language?! I just think they’d be a bad choice for dialogue reading if you’re in a hurry. There is still room for humour. I thought.

#3756 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

why keeping to yourself criticism as long as it is fair and not agressive?
when i say i don't like a pin with arguments, is it a bad comment that i must keep for myself?
a forum is a place to discuss and everybody can't agree with everybody. now if pinside is only a place where you can only write that each pin is great (and this is not in the other way) then many good people will let away Pinside too.
Pinside is a tool for me about my hobby where i can look for information, help, advise so i can take what is good for me and let what it is bad for me.
have a good flip

I have no issue with opinions.

My issue is with vendettas and broken record bashing.

I don’t wish to derail this thread any more than it already has though.

Perhaps I’ll start a new thread about it, and we can have a civilized discourse there?!

I’m genuinely excited to play a GOTG. It’s new pinball... I think that’s what I care about most.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
$ 19.95
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MapleSyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here?tu=MapleSyrup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.